New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 9 of 15 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #241
    Barbarian in the Playground

Default Re: Simple Q&A D&D 4e Thread 3

Quote Originally Posted by darkbard View Post
    A71: I don't think there is anything RAW for this scenario.
    RAW, a character's level has no affect upon the xp gained from a fight, whatsoever. That was only ever a thing in 3.X that was gotten rid of because it complicated things too much.

Any further discussion as to whether a different amount of xp should be awarded to players based upon their different levels isn't appropriate for this thread and should have a thread of its own created.
    Last edited by ThePurple; 2018-05-11 at 09:44 AM.
    4e Homebrew: Shadow Knight, Scout
    roll20: Kitru

2. - Top - End - #242
    Bugbear in the Playground

Q72: Other than Blood Fury Weapon, any per-encounter methods to count as Bloodied?

3. - Top - End - #243
    Titan in the Playground

A 72

The paragon shifter feat Draw Out The Beast can do it repeatedly. It triggers whenever you spend a healing surge for hp.

Or have an Infernal Eye ally treat you like an enemy But seriously, Draw Out The Beast is all I've ever found.
    Avatar by Meltheim: Eveve, dwarven battlemind, 4e Dark Sun

Current games list

4. - Top - End - #244

Q73: If you have the Epic Destiny Reincarnate Champion or Soul of the World, and you pick Dragonborn as a race, is there a way to get a functional Dragon Breath power? It seems like the stat and type choices have to occur at character creation.

5. - Top - End - #245
    Titan in the Playground

A (sorta) 73

I'm not convinced the wording prevents selection. The power doesn't specify that only characters who have the power should make the selection. Apparently the players of halflings and minotaurs also need to decide what their dragon breath will be like once they get the power. Gosh, I keep doing it wrong, I never remember that step in char-gen.

If anyone wants to chime in ... "When you create your character, choose Strength, Constitution, or Dexterity as the ability score you use when making attack rolls with this power. You also choose the power's damage type: acid, cold, fire, lightning, or poison. These two choices remain throughout your character's life and do not change the power's other effects."

I was gonna say something about dying, since the selection only operates "throughout your character's life", but then realized that brings up a worse dysfunction. Dragonborn who die have their choice removed but can't make a new choice when resurrected because there's no clause for regaining the selection. Which just goes to show, some questions are better answered with common sense than with logic.
    Last edited by Dimers; 2018-05-28 at 01:20 AM.

Current games list

6. - Top - End - #246

Quote Originally Posted by Dimers View Post
    A (sorta) 73If anyone wants to chime in ... "When you create your character, choose Strength, Constitution, or Dexterity as the ability score you use when making attack rolls with this power. You also choose the power's damage type: acid, cold, fire, lightning, or poison. These two choices remain throughout your character's life and do not change the power's other effects."
    Yeah, think it is a reasonably straightforward "Pick a choice and stick with it, because we're not assuming other options allowing it to be picked will exist."

Master of Fire and Darkness feat is currently broken if that's not how it gets looked at if a Drow picked Cloud of Darkness and then wanted Darkfire too. And that feat was errata'd to deal with the problems of them having errata'd Drow to only get to pick one.

7. - Top - End - #247
    Pixie in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

Hi all, I'm new here :)

Q74 :
    There is a spell, and me and my friends don't understand exactly how it works.

Charm of misplaced Wrath :
    "You bend your foe's mind, filling it with wrath even as you twist its senses"
    Hit : [...]
    Effect : The target makes a basic attack power against a creature of your choice. [...]

Now, it's not written "basic melee attack" (spells like "Hypnotism" specify "basic melee attack") , so if the target has a basic ranged attack it should be able to target an ennemy.

There are 2 ways to interpret this line imo :

1°) The player asks to the DM "does my target has a ranged basic attack, and if so can it target this foe, and if so please attack it and roll the dices?"

2°) The player asks to the DM "I would want my target to attack this foe" ; And if the target didnt have a "ranged basic attack", or if the range of the ranged attack isnt enough, the "Charm of misplaced wrath" fizzles and nothing happens. ( "Magic : The Gathering" kind of way to see the situation).

What do you think is the most logic way to resolve such a spell? 1°) or 2°) ?

8. - Top - End - #248
    Titan in the Playground

Re: Q 74 ... Sorry, friend, but as far as I've seen that's not spelled out anywhere. It's a great question!

In my experience, 4e DMs lean toward transparency and player empowerment, so I think option 1 is the more likely ruling.

Spoiler: what Dimers would do at his own table
    Show
    I like to reward active and interactive use of skills. So I give players information about enemies' abilities based on knowledge rolls. I always make some rolls at the start of combat, so my player might already know whether the monster has a ranged attack and whether the range is very limited.

If the question came up mid-combat and the character doesn't have enough skill to know, I'd kinda use option one-and-a-half. The slide and daze would happen as usual, of course. Then the player would say "I want it to make a RBA against Goblin B" and I'd reply "It doesn't have an RBA, sorry. Want to target something else with an MBA?" For charm of misplaced wrath, the target of the basic attack could even be the victim itself, which it can definitely reach!

Current games list

9. - Top - End - #249
    Dwarf in the Playground

Q75: Vestige of Mount Vaelis, Warlock D1, says the target cannot "walk or run." Does this rule out charging? shifting? How does thjs differ from immobilized?
    Through a series of unfortunate events, my handle on the WotC boards was darkwarlock.

10. - Top - End - #250
    Titan in the Playground

A 75

The power prevents movement by foot, but not by climb, swim, fly, or teleport speeds. (If you can fly, you can still charge.) It also doesn't trigger anything that keys off "immobilized" like World Serpent's Grasp. I'm not perfectly sure about shifting and can't find clarification anywhere but would assume that shifting also requires an alternate movement mode. Shifting does require moving ... it seems to me that not being able to walk/run prevents any kind of moving based on walking/running.

Immobilization is itself one tiny corner of 4e that's NOT crystal-clear. Some kinds of immobilization go with you when you teleport/slide and some don't. I have a rough time when I try to 'brew effects that hold creatures in some way -- many words needed.

Current games list

11. - Top - End - #251
    Ettin in the Playground

A75 Contention

Walk and Run are both distinct Move Actions one can take that all characters have access to. A power that specifically prevents a creature from walking or running may do no more than prevent those specific actions.
    Quote Originally Posted by Grod_The_Giant View Post
    We should try to make that a thing; I think it might help civility. Hey, GitP, let's try to make this a thing: when you're arguing optimization strategies, RAW-logic, and similar such things that you'd never actually use in a game, tag your post [THEORETICAL] and/or use green text

12. - Top - End - #252
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by georgie_leech View Post
    A75 Contention

Walk and Run are both distinct Move Actions one can take that all characters have access to. A power that specifically prevents a creature from walking or running may do no more than prevent those specific actions.
    An interesting view. If the terms are interpreted as specific game elements -- 'walk action' and 'run action' -- then Vestige of Mount Vaelis is more restrictive. "Despite the action's name, a creature isn't always literally walking when it takes this action. The walk action can use special movement modes such as climbing, flying, and swimming." So the power would prevent "walking" by means of flying and so forth.

Current games list

13. - Top - End - #253
    Dwarf in the Playground

A75 Contention

A 75
    it seems to me that not being able to walk/run prevents any kind of moving
    And herein you see the root of my question! It could be either of these, right?
    Through a series of unfortunate events, my handle on the WotC boards was darkwarlock.

14. - Top - End - #254
    Ogre in the Playground

ClericGuy

A75 Contention

An interesting view. If the terms are interpreted as specific game elements -- 'walk action' and 'run action' -- then Vestige of Mount Vaelis is more restrictive. "Despite the action's name, a creature isn't always literally walking when it takes this action. The walk action can use special movement modes such as climbing, flying, and swimming." So the power would prevent "walking" by means of flying and so forth.
    Personally, I would go with georgie_leech's interpretation. I'm mostly posting to point out that this has some implications that I'm not sure if Dimers (and maybe others) noticed. Preventing the walk and run actions, means creatures cannot walk or run in any movement mode (including fly, swim, etc), which I'm pretty sure was noted. But it then would also allow any shifting, crawling, charging, etc in any movement mode (even on foot), which I'm not sure was noted. I like this interpretation because it adds some distinctiveness when compared to immobilization. It isn't quite as good as immobilization, but hit the right target with it and it can be close.

15. - Top - End - #255

Quote Originally Posted by dariathalon View Post
    Personally, I would go with georgie_leech's interpretation. I'm mostly posting to point out that this has some implications that I'm not sure if Dimers (and maybe others) noticed. Preventing the walk and run actions, means creatures cannot walk or run in any movement mode (including fly, swim, etc), which I'm pretty sure was noted. But it then would also allow any shifting, crawling, charging, etc in any movement mode (even on foot), which I'm not sure was noted. I like this interpretation because it adds some distinctiveness when compared to immobilization. It isn't quite as good as immobilization, but hit the right target with it and it can be close.
    That's what I would rule. Seems reasonably straightforward - if option tells you can't do X and X is a specific rules element, should be exactly that. Charging does not involve using the Walk action or the Run action, so you can Charge. But you can't walk up to your target and then use your special non-charge encounter power.

16. - Top - End - #256
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by MwaO View Post
    That's what I would rule. Seems reasonably straightforward - if option tells you can't do X and X is a specific rules element, should be exactly that. Charging does not involve using the Walk action or the Run action, so you can Charge. But you can't walk up to your target and then use your special non-charge encounter power.
    Makes the most sense to me, too. RAW can be ambiguous at times, but this seems the best fix in this case.

17. - Top - End - #257
    Pixie in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

Hi again everyone!

Q76 :
    I have a question about "Alter Fate"
    (Bard Attack lvl 7)
    Encounter ✦ Arcane

Immediate Reaction

Ranged 10

Trigger: An enemy within 10 squares of you is hit by your ally's attack.

Target: The triggering enemy

Effect: The target takes 1d12 extra damage from the attack.

Do you think the bard adds his bonus dmg to the 1d12?

I would say yes, since the spell is an "Attack power" and there is a damage roll?
    (And if he doesn't, 1d12 is quite lame...)

18. - Top - End - #258
    Ettin in the Playground

A76 No.

While there is an attack roll earlier on, this power in itself is not an attack.
    Quote Originally Posted by Grod_The_Giant View Post
    We should try to make that a thing; I think it might help civility. Hey, GitP, let's try to make this a thing: when you're arguing optimization strategies, RAW-logic, and similar such things that you'd never actually use in a game, tag your post [THEORETICAL] and/or use green text

19. - Top - End - #259

A76 No. Extra damage is always in addition to other damage.

Note that the level 3 bard power Echoing Weapon is NOT extra damage and so does get bonuses. It does not, however, get YOUR bonuses, but rather the bonuses of whoever is using the weapon in question.

20. - Top - End - #260
    Pixie in the Playground

Q77 : i have a question about a monk at will power Lion's den (PsiP). do i had the claw gloves property (+1d10 damage to melee attack in beast form with CA) to the second part of the lion's den attack that said if an ennemy enter a square adjacent to me i can deal my const mod damage. I read it works in a monk guide but i'm not sure how.

21. - Top - End - #261
    Pixie in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Okoburte View Post
    Q77 : i have a question about a monk at will power Lion's den (PsiP). do i had the claw gloves property (+1d10 damage to melee attack in beast form with CA) to the second part of the lion's den attack that said if an ennemy enter a square adjacent to me i can deal my const mod damage. I read it works in a monk guide but i'm not sure how.
    A77 The additional static Constitution modifier damage is still part of the "Lion's Den" attack, which is a Melee Attack power. It's rather difficult to increase static damage because most damage bonuses specify "damage rolls", and this is just static damage equal to your Consitution modifier. However, Claw Gloves are a rare case that simply require you to be in "Beast Form" (satisfied by any of the hybrid forms of the Were-Bear/Rat/Wolf themes), making a "Melee Attack" (Lion's Den, check) and have Combat Advantage. It does not depend on a "damage roll", a "hit", being an attack made with a "weapon" or any of the other conditions that are usually associated with extra damage. Which is why it can also boost Flurry of Blows, instantly making those three aforementioned themes amazing for Paragon-tier Monks.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Now that I think about it, there are a few ways to add your Consitution modifier again to the secondary instance of damage:
    -Soaring Blade PP, level 16 feature adds your Consitution modifier in cold, fire or lightning damage to melee attacks with a Heavy Blade. Note that this does require the attack to be with a weapon, so Lion's Den counts, but Flurry of Blows does not as that does not use a weapon or (weapon-as-)implement.
    -Lyrandar Wind Rider PP, level 11 feature adds your Consitution modifier to damage from lightning and thunder powers. Use a Lightning Weapon (or Thunderbolt Dagger), get the prerequisite Mark of Storm (which also lets you slide for the extra damage automatically) and have fun. One of the less egregious reasons why Mark of Storm should be banned from all games though, and this is (for obvious reasons) not compatible with the above option.
    -Frost Fury Axe, adds your Constitution modifier in cold damage again if you're bloodied. Requires the attack to be with a weapon again, and only does something when you're bloodied, but it's an option.

It's a bit off-the-wall but it'd be funny to see a Were-something Dex/Con Monk (probably still Centered Breath to trigger the secondary damage of Lion's Den) going Soaring Blade and grabbing proficiency in a Khopesh (Heavy Blade/Axe) as an implement to use a Frost Fury Axe. At 16th level, when bloodied, 3*ConMod+1d10 with multiple damage types to anyone moving up to you, willingly or not. Could get crazy rather quickly if you add in forced movement from allies and vulnerability to one of the damage types, with cold being the easiest (Lasting Frost...).

Now I'm just rambling with random ideas though, apologies. I'll add a dividing line between the actual answer and my random thoughts.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Also, let me ask a question.

Q78 Do the Boots of the Giantkind and Goliath's Belt boost attacks such as Grappling Strike?

My knee-jerk reaction to it would be 'no' as getting a +2 item bonus to attack rolls is crazy powerful. But then I remembered the Staff of Sleep and Charm exists, alongside a variety of head slot items, which give a boost to classes (*cough* Enchanter Wizard *cough*) that really don't need any help, whereas the Brawler Fighter could use some. So reading it again, I would have to go with 'yes', as the items specify "a +2 item bonus to Strength attacks (made) to grab a creature/target". Grappling Strike rolls "Strength vs. AC" which should qualify it as a "Strength attack", and it is definitely an attack made to grab a creature or target. Similarly, there are plenty of game elements that specifically call out the "Grab Attack" (like Improved Grab and the Brawler Fighter class feature), which would clearly not apply here since the "Grab Attack" is a specific attack, whereas "attack made to grab a target" is not. Am I correct in my reasoning?
    Last edited by Highfeather; 2018-06-15 at 04:32 PM.

22. - Top - End - #262
    Pixie in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

Hello again everyone!

Q79 :

I have a question about the "Devout Protector Expertise" feat.
    Dnd4.Wikia says :
    [...]
    While using a shield, the adventurer's allies gain a +1 shield bonus to AC.

I saw people talking about this bonus on forums (reddit) as well.

But on DR402 there is no mention of this shield bonus to AC?

Have I missed something?

23. - Top - End - #263

A79

This is a copy and paste directly from the "Tools of Two Trades" in Dragon 402:

"Benefit: You gain a +1 feat bonus to weapon attack rolls you make with any one-handed melee weapon and a +1 feat bonus to implement attack rolls you make with holy symbols. These bonuses increase to +2 at 11th level and +3 at 21st level.
    In addition, while you use a shield, your allies gain a +1 shield bonus to AC."

24. - Top - End - #264
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by masteraleph View Post
    A79

This is a copy and paste directly from the "Tools of Two Trades" in Dragon 402:

"Benefit: You gain a +1 feat bonus to weapon attack rolls you make with any one-handed melee weapon and a +1 feat bonus to implement attack rolls you make with holy symbols. These bonuses increase to +2 at 11th level and +3 at 21st level.
    In addition, while you use a shield, your allies gain a +1 shield bonus to AC."
    Madness! I just consulted my PDF version of the article, and this is what I have: "Benefit: When you are using a holy symbol,
    wielding a melee weapon with which you are proficient, and using a shield, you gain a +1 feat bonus to weapon attack rolls you make with the weapon and a +1 feat bonus to implement attack rolls you make
    with the holy symbol. These bonuses increase to +2 at 11th level and +3 at 21st level.

Also, when you hit with a divine at-will attack
    power or a basic attack while wielding a melee weapon, using a shield, and using a holy symbol, your shield bonus to Reflex increases by 1 until the start of
    your next turn."

Maybe there was a change from when the articles were published serially throughout the month to collected later?

25. - Top - End - #265

Quite possibly. In that case, the compiled version is the correct one.

26. - Top - End - #266
    Pixie in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

Thanks!

So, if I understand correctly, the pdf version (without the AC bonus) is the "errata-ed one" / the most recent = the correct one?

27. - Top - End - #267
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Farwen34 View Post
    Thanks!

So, if I understand correctly, the pdf version (without the AC bonus) is the "errata-ed one" / the most recent = the correct one?
    Yes. Somewhere (I don't remember where, specifically), WotC released a statement that when individual articles from Dragon or Dungeon were collected into a single PDF at the end of the month there might be changes, which wouldn't be officially noted as errata but should be considered to be so and were the official version of the rule element, etc.

28. - Top - End - #268

Q80

Fey Beast Tamer says that the Companion counts as an ally, and that they can take Free Actions without you spending an action to command it. If the party's leader uses a power that allows allies to make attacks as a free action (Hail of Steel, Valorous Charge, etc.), does the Companion get one of their own?

29. - Top - End - #269
    Dwarf in the Playground

Q80

Fey Beast Tamer says that the Companion counts as an ally, and that they can take Free Actions without you spending an action to command it. If the party's leader uses a power that allows allies to make attacks as a free action (Hail of Steel, Valorous Charge, etc.), does the Companion get one of their own?
    I would opine RAW, yes. But I think that violates the spirit of the "only one Free Action Attack" per turn rule so would probably rule against this.

It's fundamentally different to hand out healing or buffs, &c. to a companion character ally than hand out extra attacks that violate the constraints on action economy IMO.

(But I defer to your system mastery, so take my opinion with a health grain of salt...)

30. - Top - End - #270

Q80

RAW, yes. The FBT entry specifically states that "It can be affected by powers in the same way that any other creature can be." and later states "Free Actions: Your fey beast companion can take a free action without your taking an action to command it."

As such, by RAW, your beast companion gets the benefit of all of these things.

Of course, it's important to note that the beast companion has pretty marginal defenses, a mediocre attack bonus, and mediocre damage. It's a completely viable target for all enemies (including AoEs) and its primary utility comes from flanking and, especially, the aura bonus.

One of my favorite builds is actually a lazy-lord FBT that uses Commander's Strike and Direct the Strike (with Ninth Legion Student to use your allies for OAs too) with their beast companion nearby in order to be solo viable.
    4e Homebrew: Shadow Knight, Scout
    roll20: Kitru