New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 4 of 22 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #91
    Troll in the Playground

Default Re: [3.5/PF] GitP Regulars as Special Materials (and modifications like wand chambers

Quote Originally Posted by Jormengand View Post
    My insanity has got the better of me again.

Playgrounder Cursed Materials

Blue Bluff
    Blue Bluff is a material that looks like Blue Snow and costs the same amount to acquire, but is actually dangerous in hot temperatures. Instead of the usual effects, the wearer of armour made with Blue Bluff automatically fails fortitude saves against high temperatures, has a vulnerability to fire, and gets -5 penalty on Sense Motive checks.

Boredsteel
    This material looks like Bardsteel, and even functions as it when the instrument is used as a weapon. However, any performance the user makes is made at a -10 penalty (but also a +1 bonus for being masterwork).

Destructionite

Destructionite is created when planes die, and is even rarer than Creationite - unlike other cursed materials, it is practically never passed off as the real thing just for monetary purposes. It looks much like Creationite, but is twenty times as expensive. Any creature who is fooled into so much as touching an item made of Destructionite must save against a DC 30 Disintegrate. The DC is increased by 10 for each alignment portion at odds with the destroyed plane and decreased by 10 for each alignment portion equivalent to it.

Dragonscorned
    Dragonscorned items are the failed attempts of lesser beings to create dragonshaped items. A dragon who looks at such an abomination immediately flies into a rage as a barbarian of a level equal to its own hit dice and attempts to attack the wielder, even if they drop the item.

Foe Dragon Scale
    This dragonscale armour is fake, but the way it's crafted gives it the appearance not only of being real, but of having been harvested cruelly - whether this was the designer's intention or not. While this is not immediately obvious to non-dragons without a DC 10 spot check followed by a DC 20 Knowledge (Arcana) check, it angers dragons, who get a +5 morale bonus to attack and damage rolls against the wearer.

It costs the same amount as Faux Dragon Scale.

Ghast leather

This material looks just like Ghoul Leather, and costs just as much, but a creature who puts it on immediately becomes paralysed for as long as the armour is equipped.

Lineblighting:

Lineblighting items appear like Line-Towing items and cost the same amount, but actually cause the user's alignment to become chaotic when used. Similar materials exist for other alignments.

Loud Hawk Feathers

These feathers look like Silent Hawk Feathers but degrade after being worn for 2d6 minutes and only cost half as much. They still provide the same protection as a steel version of the same equipment after they degrade, but don't provide any special benefit.

Mistercaw's Hide

Trust me, it's practically a cursed material anyway.

Phoenix-Cursed Steel
    Phoenix-Forged Steel is expensive, so sometimes untrustworthy salesmen pass off this shoddy equivalent as the real thing. Weapons only cost 100 gp more than a steel weapon of the same type, and other items cost as much as a mithril version of the same item.

Phoenix-Cursed Steel armour works normally until taken into battle, in which case there is a cumulative 5% chance each round (10% on the second round, 15% on the third, etc.) that the wearer Catches On Fire and the armour locks into place due to the heat. To remove the armour short of some kind of magic or actually physically breaking it open, the fire must be extinguished. The wearer will Catch On Fire again next round if the armour isn't removed in the same round, although it can be removed safely underwater.

Phoenix-Cursed Steel weapons instead just cause the wielder to take 1d6 points of fire damage and Catch On Fire whenever they hit with one.

Red Fire
    This material appears to be Red Ferum and costs just as much, but if a creature equips Red Fire armour the wearer instantly Catches On Fire and the armour itself burns to nothing. Red Fire weapons burn to cinders when any attempt is made to use them in earnest, and restraints made out of the stuff burn away after 3d6 minutes, dealing a single point of damage to the creature thus restrained.

This special material was some archfiend's idea of a joke, and he's still helpless from fits of laughter.

Paladin's Disloyalty
    This material appears to be Paladin's Loyalty, but is actually designed to trick paladins into attempting to use it. When such a weapon is equipped, it immediately attempts to attack the wielder as an animated object of its own size (except that it wields itself, rather than making slam attacks). When such a piece of armour is worn, it immediately plane shifts the wearer to a random chaotic nongood or evil nonlawful plane.

Pandemicite
    Pandemicite looks much like Plague Ink, but instead causes you to start in Madagascar, giving you a false sense of hope for 1d6 months before Canada closes its borders instead and you die in another 1d6 months.

Look, the original item didn't make sense either, okay!

Silentmetal

Silentmetal looks much like Soundmetal, and costs the same, but actually causes the wearer or wielder to become mute and any performances made thereby to fail.

Slaughterium
    This metal looks like Palladinium, but actually grants a -10 penalty to fortitude save against whatever it is used to treat.

Sober Iron
    This material looks like Drunken Iron, but actually allows the wielder - or wearer to see the world as it really is. Needless to say, this is a bad idea. A creature who equips any Sober Iron item benefits from a constant nonmagical True Seeing effect, but takes a single point of intelligence, wisdom and charisma drain every 3d6 minutes (roll once for all three).

Snowblighted
    Snowblighted items look like Snowdrenched ones and cost as much to make, but they explode automatically just 1d3 rounds after being equipped.

Unseeing Mage Powder

This powder looks like Unseen Mage Powder, but actually blinds any creature who attempts to use it is blinded for the duration for which they would be invisible.

Virus Steel
    Virus Steel looks like Inksteel and costs the same amount - indeed, it even has the same effects - but when stored in a creature's possession for more than a week, that creature contracts blinding sickness.

Vivacious Ore
    Vivacious Ore looks like Necrotic Ore, but actually deals 1d6 points of positive energy damage per round to an undead creature in contact with it.

Weaseldeath Steel
    Weaseldeath Steel looks just like Kobold Quicksteel, and costs the same amount, but is toxic to weasels. They must take a DC 20 fortitude save or die if they so much as touch it.
    may the Tzeentch favors you mate this is capital nasty evil

2. - Top - End - #92
    Banned

Default Re: [3.5/PF] GitP Regulars as Special Materials (and modifications like wand chambers

Quote Originally Posted by LoyalPaladin View Post
    Good show, ol' chap!
    But, but, am not good. Or old. Or a chap.

3. - Top - End - #93
    Firbolg in the Playground

But, but, am not good. Or old. Or a chap.
    That's because I haven't cast my new spell on you! I call it "Victorian Gentleman". It'll make anyone a strapping mustached lad in mere moments!

Also, is chap gender specific? Googling now... well, I guess it is. My apologies, Jormengand.
    Last edited by LoyalPaladin; 2016-01-06 at 02:17 PM.
    If purple is evil, bold gray is lawful good.

Extended Signature & Homebrew Signature

Check out my Celestial Compendium!

4. - Top - End - #94
    Bugbear in the Playground

BardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Snowbluff View Post
    Those classes suck, though.

Personally, I say that ToB and Path of War cover it fine. Asking to bring A-Clickers up just promotes lazy character building.
    Hence, the fixes. Unchained Monk actually fixes a lot of things that were wrong with the base monk and gives it a lot more versatility. Flurry doesn't put penalties on your attack anymore and it stacks with TWF. The range of abilites that the monk can use ki for now includes flight, better SR, or self-healing.

As for my fighter fix: where the unchained monk gains more versatility, the point of my fighter fix is to make the fighter excel at his area. The chassis was intended to work with light, heavy, or ranged fighters so most of the abilites are not specific to any style (hence why I made Spell Parry rather than use something like Grace). I also gave him Battle Mobility so as to negate some of the slowing/locking abilities that a BFC spellcaster uses to mess with him.

Sure, 1/turn (without Combat Reflexes) a fighter can deflect save-based spells away from him. Save-based spells were never much of a problem as far as game balance goes. Besides, I really hate borrowing from other classes. The point was to make things specifically for the fighter rather than just dipping into other classes.
    Last edited by illyahr; 2016-01-06 at 03:14 PM.
    See my Extended Signature for my list of silly shenanigans.

Anyone is welcome to use or critique my 3.5 Fighter homebrew: The Vanguard.

I am a Dungeon Master for Hire that creates custom content for people and programs d20 content for the HeroLab character system. Please donate to my Patreon and visit the HeroLab forums.

5. - Top - End - #95
    Orc in the Playground

PaladinGuy

I was simply saying that if you were to making it a pbp, even if just to test the material I'd love to join it. By no means did I want to imply that you should start the campaign here and now.

Though after the animae discussion in the other thread I'm not sure anyone would notice if you did it in the thread.

6. - Top - End - #96
    Titan in the Playground

Red Fire
    This material appears to be Red Ferum and costs just as much, but if a creature equips Red Fire armour the wearer instantly Catches On Fire and the armour itself burns to nothing. Red Fire weapons burn to cinders when any attempt is made to use them in earnest, and restraints made out of the stuff burn away after 3d6 minutes, dealing a single point of damage to the creature thus restrained.

This special material was some archfiend's idea of a joke, and he's still helpless from fits of laughter.
    That's the last time I invite an archfiend over for poker night!

Good job, Jormengand.
    My headache medicine has a little "Ex" inscribed on the pill. It's not a brand name; it's an indicator that it works inside an Anti-Magic Field.

Blue text means sarcasm. Purple text means evil. White text is invisible.

My signature got too big for its britches. So now it's over here!

7. - Top - End - #97

Quote Originally Posted by illyahr View Post
    The point was to make things specifically for the fighter rather than just dipping into other classes.
    Preach it. Mundanes can have nice things too.

Quote Originally Posted by yellowrocket View Post
    Though after the animae discussion in the other thread I'm not sure anyone would notice if you did it in the thread.
    We always notice. Always.

8. - Top - End - #98
    Ettin in the Playground

This one is for another person I haven't seen in a while. Oh Anchovy, Anchovy. Wherefore art thou Extra Anchovies?
    You rang?

Nitpick: "wherefore" actually means "for what reason", not "at what location".

Necrotic Ore
    I like it. I don't use the taint system much but I'd definitely give a tainted minion some of this stuff if I sent one at my players.

No pressure, WG! But someday when your setting is put together, hit us up if you want a play test!
    I'd definitely be down for a Redwall- or Mouse Guard-themed game. For those not familiar with the latter, it's a comic series that's sort of the gritty realistic version of Redwall (well, realistic other than the talking mice with swords). Also in Mouse Guard only the mice have humanlike intelligences and the relative sizes of the animals is taken into account more consistently.

Also, time for a contribution! It's not really a special material in its own right as it is a means of producing a special material, but that's close enough.

Virus Ink

This foul greenish-black liquid is produced by distilling a number of alchemical reagents with ichor drawn from plague victims' sores. Extracting the necessary fluids takes one minute and deals 2 points of Constitution damage to the source creature (which must be a humanoid suffering from any nonmagical disease which damages one or more physical ability scores). In addition, the source creature must immediately make a Fortitude save at the same DC as that of the disease from which they are suffering. If they fail, they are also affected as if they had failed two of the normal Fortitude saves forced by the disease (for example, a victim of filth fever would take an additional 2d3 Dexterity and Constitution damage). A vial of ichor is successfully collected even if the source creature dies in the process, and the rate at which ichor may be extracted is limited only by the source creature's resilience. After the ichor has been collected, it must be mixed with a number of common alchemical materials costing a total of 10 gp per vial of ichor to be processed. Each vial of ichor (and its accompanying reagents and catalysts) produces one dose of Virus Ink.

After the ink has been prepared, it must then be etched into a living creature's skin (or the skin of a corporeal, fleshy undead such as a zombie or vampire) in the form of a tattoo, which takes 10 minutes and requires reusable needles and tools costing 15 gp. This process is extremely painful; the creature receiving the tattoo takes 1 point of damage every minute while the tattoo is being applied, and if they attempt to take any action other than writhe in agony they must first make a DC 25 Fortitude save. If they succeed, they may take a single move or standard action (usually moving away from or attacking the creature applying the tattoo); if they fail, they are unable to act that round. The tattoo can still be successfully applied if the recipient dies during its application, but Virus Ink tattoos exhibit no special qualities (and fade after only a few days) unless the recipient was alive when the procedure was started.

A creature with a Virus Ink tattoo is immune to the disease possessed by the source creature of the ichor used to produce the Virus Ink, and targets struck by the tattooed creature's unarmed or natural attacks must make a Fortitude save at the disease's normal DC or contract the disease themselves. In addition, a struck creature which already had the disease must make a Fortitude save at the disease's normal DC or suffer the effects of a normal failed save against the disease.

The tattoo retains its properties even after the tattooed creature's death, and armor or clothing crafted from hides marked with Virus Ink tattoos confer the benefits of the tattoos to its wearer.
    Last edited by Extra Anchovies; 2016-01-06 at 03:58 PM.
    Please use they/them/theirs when referring to me in the third person.
    My Homebrew (PF, 3.5)
    Awesome Bone Knight avatar by Chd.
    Spoiler: Current Characters
    Show
    Cassidy Halloran, Human Scout
    William Gamache, Human Relic Channeler Medium
    Spoiler: Quotes
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by AGrinningCat View Post
    Lay on hands? More like Lay your Eyes on this sick elbow drop!

9. - Top - End - #99

BardGuy

Preach it. Mundanes can have nice things too.
    Can you imagine a fighter getting Spell Parry and then picking up the Mage Slayer tree? It's suddenly a viable build. I wanted to make the fighter the immediate threat. The BBEG blows his big spells neutralizing him and leave the heavy casters free to throw down with their own spells.
    Last edited by illyahr; 2016-01-06 at 03:55 PM.

I am a Dungeon Master for Hire that creates custom content for people and programs d20 content for the HeroLab character system. Please donate to my Patreon and visit the HeroLab forums.

10. - Top - End - #100

Quote Originally Posted by Extra Anchovies View Post
    You rang?
    A few times!

Nitpick: "wherefore" actually means "for what reason", not "at what location".
    It's Shakespeare!

I like it. I don't use the taint system much but I'd definitely give a tainted minion some of this stuff if I sent one at my players.
    A few players in my group currently have an obsession with the taint system. It can be... annoying?

Virus Ink
    EA is back and ready to play! Haha.

Can you imagine a fighter getting Spell Parry and then picking up the Mage Slayer tree? It's suddenly a viable build. I wanted to make the fighter the immediate threat. The BBEG blows his big spells neutralizing him and leave the heavy casters free to throw down with their own spells.
    A dexterity based fighter with Combat Reflexes would do well to use that build.
    Last edited by LoyalPaladin; 2016-01-06 at 04:00 PM.

11. - Top - End - #101
    Ogre in the Playground

-snip-
    Necrotic Ore
    -snip-
    This is certainly interesting. I'd assume this works off of OA/UA taint. Though it is neither by me nor for me, I may just have to borrow it sometime and convert it to my taint system..

12. - Top - End - #102

Quote Originally Posted by Xuldarinar View Post
    This is certainly interesting. I'd assume this works off of OA/UA taint. Though it is neither by me nor for me, I may just have to borrow it sometime and convert it to my taint system..
    Oriental Adventures taint is the system we use. You are free to borrow it and taint it with your own system. I got you a present, Red Fel. It was a bad pun. Heh.

13. - Top - End - #103
    Ogre in the Playground

For Jorm:

Wyrdsilk

Favored by Truenamers, Wyrdsilk is crafted from the fibers of magical contracts reinforced with enchanted silk. When worn as a garment (such as a robe), it grants a +5 insight bonus to Truespeak, Spellcraft, and UMD checks. In addition, up to 3 times a day, you may ignore one of the Laws of Resistance and Sequence if it would restrict you from using an utterance (Switching to another garment made of Wyrdsilk does not allow further uses of this ability). The magical nature of the material is also protective, and acts as a mithral chain shirt with no ASF chance.

Due to the rare materials used in the construction, a robe for a medium creature costs 5000 GP.

I got one for Zaydos too, as well as a more curse related one for Jorm, will write those up in a bit.
    Last edited by IZ42; 2016-01-06 at 04:43 PM.
    Spoiler: Quotes!
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Elricaltovilla View Post
    I always thought understanding Scottish required a fort save vs. Alcohol poisoning.
    Quote Originally Posted by Twelve.five
    Hipsterdin- Smiting Heathens before it was cool.
    Quote Originally Posted by Elricaltovilla
    See, this wouldn't happen if you were a Zweihander Sentinel Warder with Silver Crane. You'd have a 60 ft. fly speed with good maneuverability, DR and glowing pants as early as level 8.

Pink is Neutral Evil, because reasons.

Exalted Monk Avatar by ThePrez1776

14. - Top - End - #104
    Titan in the Playground

I got you a present, Red Fel. It was a bad pun. Heh.
    I got you a present, too.

Now hold still. You'll love it.
    My headache medicine has a little "Ex" inscribed on the pill. It's not a brand name; it's an indicator that it works inside an Anti-Magic Field.

Blue text means sarcasm. Purple text means evil. White text is invisible.

My signature got too big for its britches. So now it's over here!

15. - Top - End - #105
    Ettin in the Playground

A few times!
    And it worked! You just weren't standing in front of a mirror most of those times, so it took you a while to get to three.

Yup! She's not actually wondering where Romeo is; she's lamenting the fact that Romeo carrying the Montague name (and Juliet being a Capulet) makes it hard for the two of them to meet up and make kissy-face. Hence her plea "deny thy father and refuse thy name". That scene's also where she talks about roses by any other name smelling as sweet.

EA is back and ready to play! Haha.
    Yeah! The phrase "virus ink" is quite inspiring. I've also got an idea bouncing around for a special sort of ironwood, but I haven't seen Uncle Pine (or anyone else with a name that evokes trees) in this thread.

A few players in my group currently have an obsession with the taint system. It can be... annoying?
    Oriental Adventures taint is the system we use. You are free to borrow it and taint it with your own system.
    Huh. I'm only familiar with the Heroes of Horror system, which is "an update and revision to" the OA and Unearthed Arcana taint systems. HoH also takes precedence over the other two, but you may not use that book in your games. Might still be worth looking at, because they might've ironed out some of the annoying bits.

Quote Originally Posted by IZ42 View Post
    For Jorm:

Wyrdsilk

Favored by Truenamers, Wyrdsilk is crafted from the fibers of magical contracts reinforced with enchanted silk. When worn as a garment (such as a robe), it grants a +5 untyped bonus to Truespeak, Spellcraft, and UMD checks. In addition, up to 3 times a day, you may ignore one of the Laws of True if it would restrict you from using an utterance. The magical nature of the material is also protective, and acts as a mithral chain shirt with no ASF chance.

Due to the rare materials used in the construction, a robe for a medium creature costs 5000 GP.
    It breaks pretty hard with wearing more than one at a time, and is still kinda crazy if you can switch out an expended robe/shirt/sock/g-string for a fresh one and get three more uses out of it. It might be worth adding a bit that restricts how many extra times the Laws of True can be ignored (maybe one extra time per two garments after the first, maximum of 5/day) and lowers the bonus scaling for multiple garments (maybe 5 for the first garment, +2 per garment after that, maximum of +15).
    Last edited by Extra Anchovies; 2016-01-06 at 04:35 PM.
    My Homebrew (PF, 3.5)
    Show
    Show

16. - Top - End - #106
    Ogre in the Playground

It breaks pretty hard with wearing more than one at a time, and is still kinda crazy if you can switch out an expended robe/shirt/sock/g-string for a fresh one and get three more uses out of it. It might be worth adding a bit that restricts how many extra times the Laws of True can be ignored (maybe one extra time per two garments after the first, maximum of 5/day) and lowers the bonus scaling for multiple garments (maybe 5 for the first garment, +2 per garment after that, maximum of +15).
    I couldn't decide on what type of bonus, so untyped is a place holder. I also forgot the laws for Truenamers, so that needs to get fixed. This was written on mobile, so it's badly written TBH.
    Spoiler: Quotes!
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Elricaltovilla View Post
    I always thought understanding Scottish required a fort save vs. Alcohol poisoning.
    Quote Originally Posted by Twelve.five
    Hipsterdin- Smiting Heathens before it was cool.
    Quote Originally Posted by Elricaltovilla
    See, this wouldn't happen if you were a Zweihander Sentinel Warder with Silver Crane. You'd have a 60 ft. fly speed with good maneuverability, DR and glowing pants as early as level 8.

Pink is Neutral Evil, because reasons.

Exalted Monk Avatar by ThePrez1776

17. - Top - End - #107
    Ogre in the Playground

Dragonscorned
    Dragonscorned items are the failed attempts of lesser beings to create dragonshaped items. A dragon who looks at such an abomination immediately flies into a rage as a barbarian of a level equal to its own hit dice and attempts to attack the wielder, even if they drop the item.
    That's a good way to screw over the players, and any rate.

Foe Dragon Scale
    This dragonscale armour is fake, but the way it's crafted gives it the appearance not only of being real, but of having been harvested cruelly - whether this was the designer's intention or not. While this is not immediately obvious to non-dragons without a DC 10 spot check followed by a DC 20 Knowledge (Arcana) check, it angers dragons, who get a +5 morale bonus to attack and damage rolls against the wearer.

It costs the same amount as Faux Dragon Scale.
    ... I must resist the temptation to throw this into games I'm DMing. Especially right before the players go and talk to any dragon NPCs I've made for them. And especially before they go and confront any dragon BBEG...
    Dark Red, the Voice of the Dragon

Extended Signature Link

Quote Originally Posted by Quiver View Post
    How much terrain does the forty foot long, flying, fire breathing lizard which may or may not have magic consider its domain?

As much as it god damn wants.

18. - Top - End - #108
    Barbarian in the Playground

Virus Ink
    Oooo! I really love this. The tattoo idea is really interesting and basically everything I could ever ask for. And I like that the person receiving the tattoo receives damage- puts a nice twist into it. I literally love everything about this~
    Thank you and well done!
    I'll be out of town for the next couple weeks!

Swing by and take a look at my DeviantArt!

Icon drawn by no one but myself! Full version can be seen here.

19. - Top - End - #109

BardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Draconium View Post
    That's a good way to screw over the players, and any rate.

... I must resist the temptation to throw this into games I'm DMing. Especially right before the players go and talk to any dragon NPCs I've made for them. And especially before they go and confront any dragon BBEG...
    So a player with a dragonscorn weapon and foe dragon scale armor is:
    a) screwed
    b) royally screwed
    c) unbelievably screwed
    d) I hope you have a backup character sheet *said as you hold up a lighter*

20. - Top - End - #110
    Ogre in the Playground

So a player with a dragonscorn weapon and foe dragon scale armor is:
    a) screwed
    b) royally screwed
    c) unbelievably screwed
    d) I hope you have a backup character sheet *said as you hold up a lighter*
    Or, e) All of the above doesn't even begin to describe it.
    Dark Red, the Voice of the Dragon

Extended Signature Link

Quote Originally Posted by Quiver View Post
    How much terrain does the forty foot long, flying, fire breathing lizard which may or may not have magic consider its domain?

As much as it god damn wants.

21. - Top - End - #111

Quote Originally Posted by Red Fel View Post
    I got you a present, too.

Now hold still. You'll love it.
    Hey wait a second, are you calling me a...

And it worked! You just weren't standing in front of a mirror most of those times, so it took you a while to get to three.
    I'm not sure I understand the reference, but I am glad you are here now!

Yup! She's not actually wondering where Romeo is; she's lamenting the fact that Romeo carrying the Montague name (and Juliet being a Capulet) makes it hard for the two of them to meet up and make kissy-face. Hence her plea "deny thy father and refuse thy name". That scene's also where she talks about roses by any other name smelling as sweet.
    Huh. I used to be hardcore into Shakespeare (I'm a bit of an English geek...), but I guess I've gotten rusty. Consider me both schooled and ashamed of my wrongdoing.

Quote Originally Posted by VirusInk View Post
    Oooo! I really love this. The tattoo idea is really interesting and basically everything I could ever ask for. And I like that the person receiving the tattoo receives damage- puts a nice twist into it. I literally love everything about this~
    Thank you and well done!
    She's being sincere here. She just walked into my office and ranted about it. (Yes, we work together and have not killed each other... yet.)

22. - Top - End - #112
    Ettin in the Playground

Thank you and well done!
    You're welcome! I intentionally made the damage low enough that most adventurers could survive it but high enough that the average 1st-level commoner has almost no chance of making it through the ordeal - I definitely had the mental image of a particularly cruel necromancer (maybe a cleric of a god of plagues) kidnapping peasants, tattooing (and in the process killing) them, and animating the bodies for an army of disease-bearing soldiers. Or maybe a flesh golem made entirely from the tattooed body parts!

I'm probably going to have to use that next time I run a game, too. If one of the PCs gets captured, it could lead to a rather tense moment where they get to watch someone die while receiving a tattoo, and then realize that it's time for their turn under the needle...

Huh. I used to be hardcore into Shakespeare (I'm a bit of an English geek...), but I guess I've gotten rusty. Consider me both schooled and ashamed of my wrongdoing.
    Yo, sound the bell, school's in!

*tries to Hammer-dance, fails because of plate armor*

She's being sincere here. She just walked into my office and ranted about it. (Yes, we work together and have not killed each other... yet.)
    Yay! I'm glad to have produced the sort of thing that people need to go rant to others about, because I know when I have to do that it's usually because of something cool.

I'm not sure I understand the reference, but I am glad you are here now!
    There's a number of horror stories/urban legends/whatever about entities that can be summoned by saying their name X times in front of a mirror (Bloody Mary is the most widely known one IIRC). It's kind of like Candlejack, if you're familiar with hió
    My Homebrew (PF, 3.5)
    Show
    Show

23. - Top - End - #113

BardGuy

Bardsteel

A metal with an almost mirror-like natural finish, bardsteel grants a number of benefits to any instrument constructed with it. While performing with the instrument, the performer gains a +4 untyped bonus to perform checks, as well as the +1 competence bonus from masterwork. In addition, instruments constructed in this manner are strong enough to function as weapons. They deal 1d6 points of bludgeoning damage, count as silver for the purposes of damage reduction, and are treated as masterwork.

The cost of a bardsteel instrument is 500 GP above the regular price of the instrument. This includes the price of masterwork.
    I just had a brilliant idea. Bardsteel castanets. Thrown like shurikens, but do 1d6 instead of 1d2. Awesome!

24. - Top - End - #114
    Troll in the Playground

Never fear, Paladin's here.

Drunken Iron
    This metal was invented by a dwarven smith whose funds had all but run dry. One fateful day, when business was slow and the ale was plentiful, the smith accidentally quenched a sword in his keg of ale instead of oil! Thus, drunken iron was created. This metal has a marbled bronze look, making it a unique and eye catching material.

Effect
    Weapons forged from drunken iron deal 1 point of constitution damage when they strike an opponent (dc 12 fortitude negates) and armor forged from drunken iron grants damage reduction 10/-, but it deals 1d4 wisdom damage when donned that can only be overcome by removing the armor.

Type of Item Item Cost Modifier
    Ammunition +60 gp
    Light Armor +5,000 gp
    Medium Armor +10,000 gp
    Heavy Armor +15,000 gp
    Shield +2,000 gp
    Weapon +3,000 gp
    A shiny! I have a shiny! I must have this now.
    Warlock Poetry?
    Or ways to use me in game?
    Better grab a drink...

Currently ruining Strahd's day - Avatar by the Outstanding Smuchsmuch

First Ordained Jr. Tormlet by LoyalPaladin

25. - Top - End - #115

There's a number of horror stories/urban legends/whatever about entities that can be summoned by saying their name X times in front of a mirror (Bloody Mary is the most widely known one IIRC). It's kind of like Candlejack, if you're familiar with hió
    Oh. Yeah, I shouldn't caught that right away. Even though I've know idea who Candlejack i-

Quote Originally Posted by Socratov View Post
    A shiny! I have a shiny! I must have this now.
    Next time we Socratov, he'll be totally covered in drunken armor full-plate.

26. - Top - End - #116

You're welcome! I intentionally made the damage low enough that most adventurers could survive it but high enough that the average 1st-level commoner has almost no chance of making it through the ordeal - I definitely had the mental image of a particularly cruel necromancer (maybe a cleric of a god of plagues) kidnapping peasants, tattooing (and in the process killing) them, and animating the bodies for an army of disease-bearing soldiers. Or maybe a flesh golem made entirely from the tattooed body parts!

I'm probably going to have to use that next time I run a game, too. If one of the PCs gets captured, it could lead to a rather tense moment where they get to watch someone die while receiving a tattoo, and then realize that it's time for their turn under the needle...

Smart! It makes it a long, slow, painful process too which is all the more interesting. I could get behind the cruel necromancer idea being as necromancers are some of my favorite. And a flesh golum made entirely from the tattooed body parts would be down right terrifyingly awesome! I approve the undead disease-bearing tattoo army.

Ooooo~ Evil. Poor player won't even see it coming.

27. - Top - End - #117
    Troll in the Playground

Wouldn't the same source rule apply preventing it from stacking?

Extended signature (Includes Giantitp regulars as... links, avatar showcase, homebrew, and other stuff.)
    Current avatar by me

28. - Top - End - #118
    Banned

I couldn't decide on what type of bonus, so untyped is a place holder. I also forgot the laws for Truenamers, so that needs to get fixed. This was written on mobile, so it's badly written TBH.
    It doesn't matter that they're untyped because they come from the same source so they don't stack anyway. Though in any case I would wear the hell out of it.

Ooooo~
    Also, has anyone ever told you how cute you are?
    Last edited by Jormengand; 2016-01-06 at 07:12 PM.

29. - Top - End - #119

Also, has anyone ever told you how cute you are?
    Oh pshhhhh. You flatter me~

30. - Top - End - #120
    Banned

Oh pshhhhh. You flatter me~
    Well, they say that immolation is the sincerest form of flattery...