New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Ogre in the Playground

BlackDragon

Default Wyvern Rider & Wyvern Lord Prestige Classes [PEACH]

These are inspired by the game Fire Emblem: Awakening, and I did my best to capture what the wyvern riders and lords are in the game, while still adding D&D flavor to them. They might be stupid powerful, I don't know, but I followed the guidelines put forth in the UA PDF on Prestige Classes. Here they are, the Wyvern Rider & the Wyvern Lord!

P.S. Let me know if you want me to make Pegasus Knight & Dark Flier Prestige Classes!

2. - Top - End - #2
    Dwarf in the Playground

ElfRogueGirl

Default Re: Wyvern Rider & Wyvern Lord Prestige Classes [PEACH]

Quote Originally Posted by DracoKnight View Post
    These are inspired by the game Fire Emblem: Awakening, and I did my best to capture what the wyvern riders and lords are in the game, while still adding D&D flavor to them. They might be stupid powerful, I don't know, but I followed the guidelines put forth in the UA PDF on Prestige Classes. Here they are, the Wyvern Rider & the Wyvern Lord!

P.S. Let me know if you want me to make Pegasus Knight & Dark Flier Prestige Classes!
    I don't know how huge a fan of PrC I am in this edition (subclasses fill that role, without the need to multiclass) HOWEVER, this... I kind of want to run a Fire Emblem campaign now. This is pretty fantastic. I mean, PrC are like if you'd used a Master Seal to change to an Advanced Class. I think you did a fairly good job on this one. The DPR is fairly reserved: you're only getting your bonuses on 1 of your attacks, and you only get 3 attacks maxed at 20. (7 Fighter/3 Wyvern Rider/5 Wyvern Lord/5 Fighter), or 2 if you go max in both PrC. So, well done. I think you managed to make having a CR 6 monster not so OP. And the text in their MM entry DOES say that Wyverns are used as mounts (dangerous mounts, but still...mounts)

3. - Top - End - #3
    Bugbear in the Playground

DwarfClericGuy

This is pretty cool, not too strong, point is that if you don't find someone who wants to train you this is worthless, otherwise you are really the boss of your wyvern and you have all those free stuff. For creative DMs that isn't really a problem so I still think this is really cool and balanced (not that I'm a fan of prestige classes).

Edit: Why are they only for fighters? I could easily see rangers and even paladins and barbarians becoming one of those.
    Last edited by PoeticDwarf; 2016-01-01 at 04:26 AM.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Ogre in the Playground

BlackDragon

Quote Originally Posted by EnderDwarf View Post
    Edit: Why are they only for fighters? I could easily see rangers and even paladins and barbarians becoming one of those.
    I...might open them up to Rangers (and I am honestly not sure that I will), but not Paladins or Barbarians. I am working on a Pegasus Knight Prestige Class for the Paladin, and I'm working on something else for the Barbarian.

Also, when it comes to the Paladin, I don't like how Divine Smite would interact with the bonus damage granted by these classes.
    Last edited by DracoKnight; 2016-01-01 at 01:24 PM.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Barbarian in the Playground

Flumph

Quote Originally Posted by DracoKnight View Post
    Yes please.

And the D&D equivalent, the Aglarondian Griffonrider would be cool.
    Last edited by M Placeholder; 2016-01-01 at 01:42 PM.
    Gnome Wizard by DarkCorax

6. - Top - End - #6
    Ogre in the Playground

BlackDragon

Quote Originally Posted by Dark Sun Gnome View Post
    And the D&D equivalent, the Aglarondian Griffonrider would be cool.
    I'm working on Griffon Riders too They're what I'm crafting for the Barbarian
    Last edited by DracoKnight; 2016-01-01 at 01:46 PM.

7. - Top - End - #7

This is pretty damn cool. I like how you made it Fighter specific (Fighters needed something to make them interesting, IMO).

And I look forward to your Pegasus Knight and Griffon Rider

8. - Top - End - #8
    Ogre in the Playground

BlackDragon

Quote Originally Posted by GandalfTheWhite View Post
    This is pretty damn cool. I like how you made it Fighter specific (Fighters needed something to make them interesting, IMO).
    Lol. I totally agree, that and thematics is why I made it a Fighter Prestige Class.

Quote Originally Posted by GandalfTheWhite View Post
    And I look forward to your Pegasus Knight and Griffon Rider
    I have the Pegasus Knight up, and I've begun work on the Griffon Rider

9. - Top - End - #9

BardGuy

To be completely honest this class is silly. I love mounted combat in 5e, and play it all the time. Every DM so far have found smart ways of dealing with mounts and how they interact. This just gives me set backs that I would rather not have. I can make a "wyvern rider" that is much stronger than this one just with the basic rules in the PHB.

But please, keep at it! I love the idea of putting these into the game I just don't think the execution is very well done.
    Last edited by Pyon; 2016-01-02 at 07:09 PM.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Ogre in the Playground

BlackDragon

Quote Originally Posted by Pyon View Post
    To be completely honest this class is silly. I love mounted combat in 5e, and play it all the time. Every DM so far have found smart ways of dealing with mounts and how they interact. This just gives me set backs that I would rather not have. I can make a "wyvern rider" that is much stronger than this one just with the basic rules in the PHB.

But please, keep at it! I love the idea of putting these into the game I just don't think the execution is very well done.
    Sure you can. You can make a Wyvern Rider with any class, all you have to do is tame and befriend a wyvern.

This was created to replicate a class in a video game (that has a completely different power structure) without making it overpowered in D&D.

11. - Top - End - #11

BardGuy

Right but... This class doesn't make any of that fun though. It's not about being powerful, it's about the fact I can feel like a wyvern rider much quicker by you know. Not playing the wyvern rider class. I don't think limiting flight at first is necessary, we never even see grounded wyverns in the FEs I have played. Plus, the rules for mounted combat already let you command a mount without having to waste an action. It instead limits you to only a few action to give to your mount.

What I suggest, is finding a way to use the wyverns attacks while still being on the same initiative. The rules say that for your mount to attack, it doesn't share the same initiative and seems to suggest that the DM controls the mount. So maybe give advantage when interacting with the mount, and a way to control it and still giving it it's own attack? I don't know how balanced this could be but I can guarantee it would be more fun...

First Edit: Disregard. Me. Completely. I read this completely wrong, I am so sorry. Let me read the whole thing again before I comment further....

Second Edit: Ok so I originally thought that you had to command your Wyvern by giving up your action. I now realize that's not the case, and what you did was exactly what I was going to suggest. After a second look this looks very good. Again sorry for the initial comment :P

But yeah, it looks fine! Like the others I don't really know about it being a PrC. Couldn't you make some sort of "mounted" class, that then evolved into three paths? A pegasus path, a wyvern path, and a cavalier path? That way you could even replicate FE's horse mounted combat. Plus a lot of skills are common to all three classes.
    Last edited by Pyon; 2016-01-02 at 07:09 PM.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Ogre in the Playground

BlackDragon

Second Edit: Ok so I originally thought that you had to command your Wyvern by giving up your action. I now realize that's not the case, and what you did was exactly what I was going to suggest. After a second look this looks very good. Again sorry for the initial comment :P
    No worries, I'm glad you actually do like it

But yeah, it looks fine! Like the others I don't really know about it being a PrC. Couldn't you make some sort of "mounted" class, that then evolved into three paths? A pegasus path, a wyvern path, and a cavalier path? That way you could even replicate FE's horse mounted combat. Plus a lot of skills are common to all three classes.
    I'm not building it as a whole class, because a lot of the abilities I would give them are already in existing classes. So, for me, it's easier to graft them into those existing classes, than create a whole new class for them.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Pixie in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Just out of curiosity is the Griffon rider and pegasus rider up too now? How can I find them if they are?

14. - Top - End - #14
    Nerdomancer in the Playground Moderator

DruidGuy

The Mod Life Crisis: Necromancy BAD.
    Spoiler: Medals & Current Characters
    Show

Quote Originally Posted by Nifft View Post
    More sources, more choices, more power. Welcome to D&D.
    Quote Originally Posted by Peelee
    I mean, I have been assuming Jdizzlean looks like Nathan Fillion this whole time to start with...
    The Mod Life Crisis If you need me to address a thread as a Moderator, please include a link