A Monster for Every Season: Summer 2
You can get A Monster for Every Season: Summer 2 now at Gumroad
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Banned

Default Chronicles of the Nentir Vale (OOC Thread)

Chronicles of the Nentir Vale
    Tales from the Edge of Civilization

The Nentir Vale is a broad border region to the north of the old Empire of Nerath. The vale is now mostly empty, with a handful of living villages and towns scattered over a wide area of roughly twenty five hundred square miles. Abandoned farmsteads, ruined manors, and broken keeps litter the countryside, remnants of the fallen empire and even older civilizations that came before. Bandits, wild animals, and monsters roam freely throughout the vale, threatening anyone who fares more than a few leagues away from one of the surviving settlements. Travel along the roads or rivers is usually safe usually, but every now and then travelers come to bad ends between the towns.

The majority of the Vale is large stretches of open meadowland, copses of light forest, gently rolling hills, and the occasional thicket of dense woodland and heavy undergrowth. The downs are hilly grassland, with little tree cover. They are steeper and more rugged, and include light forest in the valleys and saddles between the hilltops. The Nentir Vale is a northern land, but it sees relatively little snow winters are windy and bitterly cold. The Nentir River is too big to freeze except for a few weeks in the coldest part of the year. Summers are cool and mild, while the spring and autumn months bring heavy rains.

Up until about four centuries ago, the Moon Hills and the surrounding Nentir Vale were thinly settled borderlands, home to quarrelsome human hill-chieftains and remote realms of non-humans such as dwarves and elves. Giants, minotaurs, orcs, ogres, and goblins plagued the region. Ruins such as those on the Gray Downs or the ring-forts atop the Old Hills date back to these days.

With the rise of the Empire of Nerath to the south, human settlers began to move up the Nentir River, establishing towns such as Fastormel, Harkenwold, and Winterhaven. A Nerathan hero named Aranda Markelhay obtained a charter to build a keep at the portage of the Nentir Falls. She raised a simple tower at the site of Moonstone Keep three hundred ten years ago, and under its protection the town of Fallcrest began to grow.

However, since the fall of Nerath, the Nentir Vale has returned to being a wild and untamed frontier. The savage tribes of orcs and goblin-kin threaten the edges of what little civilization remains, and bandits now stalk the roads between the towns unchecked. The ruins of the old empire beckon to the spirits of the adventurous with promises of lost treasures, and the troubles of the land call out for heroes to return justice and order to the Vale. There are plenty of opportunities for adventure throughout the Vale, and countless stories yet to be told from the Edge of Civilization!

Spoiler: The Big 16
    Show
    1. What game system are you running (D&D, Call of Cthulu, Palladium, GURPS, etc.), and if applicable what edition (Original, Classic, Revised, 1st, 2nd, 3rd, 5th, 10th, etc.)?
    Dungeons & Dragons 4th Edition

2. What 'type' or variant of game will it be (i.e. "Shadow Chasers" or "Agents of Psi" for d20 Modern)? What is the setting for the game (eg. historic period, published or homebrewed campaign setting, alternate reality, modern world, etc.)?
    Classic adventuring in the Nentir Vale and beyond

3. How many Players are you looking for? Will you be taking alternates, and if so, how many?
    No more than five players

4. What's the gaming medium (OOTS, chat, e-mail etc.)?
    GitP PbP Forums

5. What is the characters' starting status (i.e. experience level)?
    Characters will begin the game at first level, brand new to the adventuring life

6. How much gold or other starting funds will the characters begin with?
    Standard starting wealth for character creation

7. Are there any particular character classes, professions, orders, etc. that you want... or do not want? What are your rules on 'prestige' and/or homebrewed classes?
    Only classes from the PHB, PHB II and PHB III will be allowed. Class variants from other sources may be allowed on a case by case basis.

8. What races, subraces, species, etc. are allowed for your game? Will you allow homebrewed races or species? 'Prestige' races or species?
    Only races from the PHB, PHB II and PHB III will be allowed. Additional races may be allowed on a case by case basis.

9. By what method should Players generate their attributes/ability scores and Hit Points?
    Characters will roll three sets of 4d6b3 and choose the set they wish to use. Maximum Hit Points for 1st level.

10. Does your game use alignment? What are your restrictions, if so?
    I will not be allowing evil or purely self-interested characters. I want a group of heroes who will work together.

11. Do you allow multi-classing, or have any particular rules in regards to it?
    Multi-class feats are allowed. Hybrids are not.

12. Will you be doing all of the die rolling during the course of the game? Will die rolls be altered, or left to the honor system? If players can make die rolls, which ones do they make, how should they make the rolls, and how should they report them?
    Characters will be rolling their own dice when appropriate and posting results in either the game thread or OOC thread.

13. Are there any homebrewed or optional/variant rules that your Players should know about? If so, list and explain them, or provide relevant links to learn about these new rules.
    This game will not be using any homebrew or variant rules. I want to keep things simple.
    Character themes and backgrounds are allowed.

14. Is a character background required? If so, how big? Are you looking for anything in particular (i.e. the backgrounds all ending up with the characters in the same city)?
    Character backgrounds are required and will be a major deciding factor in character selection. Please make sure you include where your character comes from. How they became an adventurer. Where did they get their equipment? Why they are adventuring? What are their short-term goals? What are their long-term goals? As well as any additional information you care to include. The more fleshed out your character is, the better your chance of being selected as a player.

Cardboard characters without goals, motivation or personality, will be disregarded with no consideration.

15. Does your game involve a lot of hack & slash, puzzle solving, roleplaying, or a combination of the above?
    Roleplaying plays a big part in every aspect of this game. After all it is an RPG. The game will also contain a mix of combat and puzzle solving when appropriate, but don't expect to be drawing your sword every few (in-game) minutes.

16. Are your Players restricted to particular rulebooks and supplements, or will you be allowing access to non-standard material? What sources can Players use for their characters?
    I will not put any direct restrictions on source books, but I do not want to see cheesed out, min/maxed characters with no explanations as to why their characters have certain skills/feats/abilities other than trying to optimize them. This isn't a game about numbers, its a game about story and characters.

Chapter One: Of Kobolds and Kings

Players & Characters
    1. Mal Oakengrass Jr. Male Halfling Battlemind (Played by: Fellhammer)
    2. Flawed Arradeth, Female Tiefling Wizard (Played by: Silent_P)
    3. AlegastGaneden, Male Eladrin Swordmage (Played by: Alegast)
    4. Jessica Darkwood, Female Human Wizard (Played by: onlie2005)
    5. Ferrilyn (Ferret) Underbough, Female Pixie Druid (Played by: Dice Gremlin)
    Last edited by Chirp; 2016-04-30 at 02:56 PM.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Re: Chronicles of the Nentir Vale (OOC Thread)

Posting Flawed Arradeth's sheet and picking purple for her speech.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Dwarf in the Playground

Posting Alegast's sheet and picking Blue for his speech. His familiar, Fara, will have Royal Blue for her speech.

4. - Top - End - #4

Here is Jessica Darkwood.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Halfling in the Playground

Here is Ferrilyn (Ferret) Underbough and she will speak in Green. She can speak with Tempest, so he will speak in Brown

6. - Top - End - #6
    Titan in the Playground

DMing:
    ❶ AGAINST THE GIANTS: IC | OOC

7. - Top - End - #7
    Banned

onlie2005: I'm curious why Jessica would assume the ferret is a druid. Has she ever met a druid? And even if she has, a normal druid (one of medium or even small size) can not take the form of something as small as a ferret. It all just seems a touch meta-gamey. I'm not trying to pick on you, I just want to avoid characters making assumptions or choices based on player knowledge.
    Last edited by Chirp; 2016-01-06 at 12:04 AM.

8. - Top - End - #8

Quote Originally Posted by Chirp View Post
    onlie2005: I'm curious why Jessica would assume the ferret is a druid. Has she ever met a druid? And even if she has, a normal druid (one of medium or even small size) can not take the form of something as small as a ferret. It all just seems a touch meta-gamey. I'm not trying to pick on you, I just want to avoid characters making assumptions or choices based on player knowledge.
    I kind of had this same thought.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Banned

onlie2005: It has been almost four days since you made a post. I tried to send you a PM but your box is full. Please let me know if you are still going to be a part of this game.

10. - Top - End - #10

Damn. Ferret is really milking Flawed's generosity!

11. - Top - End - #11
    Dwarf in the Playground

Changing talking color to Navy to avoid confusion with DM's blue.

12. - Top - End - #12

Rolling diplomacy here (since I can't seem to get it to work in the IC thread ).

(1d20+8)[26]

13. - Top - End - #13
    Titan in the Playground

What would a normal offer be for a quest of this nature? I feel like my character would have a vague sense of this, at least more of a sense than I do.
    DMing:

14. - Top - End - #14
    Banned

I would say probably no more than 100gp apiece, and that's on the high end of things. For a group of unknowns, around 50-75gp apiece is probably more reasonable

15. - Top - End - #15
    Banned

So what's the group doing?

16. - Top - End - #16

Flawed is waiting for any response that Jessica may have. She's not 100% sure the others agree with her but gets the sense that they do - bar Ferret, whom she doesn't really know about.

17. - Top - End - #17
    Banned

Alright, I thought this might happen.

I know that logically your characters have no real reason to accept Jessica along on this adventure, but we can't just deny onlie2005 the chance to play. We need to find a way to resolve this and get Jessica into the group as well. Right now only the pixie is on her side, and she is still a ferret which doesn't help much.

18. - Top - End - #18

Yeah. I'm struggling with this, I'm afraid.

I have no wish to exclude someone from RP but I've created a character who would be uncomfortable with having a child accompany her into danger. That was likely a mistake on my part but I feel I've kinda worked myself into a corner here.

*Deep breath* I should also acknowledge that I, the player, am not terribly comfortable with the idea - and readily concede that this may be manifesting more in my RP than I hoped. Originally, I thought I would be able to RP through and things would smooth themselves out.

Unfortunately, I'm not currently seeing a way out of this and wanted to put my cards on the table. I'm certainly willing to discuss the issue.

19. - Top - End - #19
    Titan in the Playground

I do not have a problem with Jessica joining. I think we just need to roleplay it out a little to get to the happy status quo.

Anakin Skywalker was 9 years old when he flew a fighter into a Trade Federation ship and blew it up. Boba Fett hung out with experienced bounty hunters when he was just a wee little lad. The Incredibles has a family fighting crime together. There are lots of other examples of kids joining up with adults to go on adventures. I don't have that big of an issue with it, I think we just need a little RP to smooth the story out.
    Last edited by Felhammer; 2016-01-22 at 10:43 AM.
    DMing:

20. - Top - End - #20
    Dwarf in the Playground

I have no problems with a child character, neither. But would be unrealistic that the characters would accept her without a doubt. I just need just a good RP reason to convince Alegast to accept her (non a long or elaborated one, just a good one).
    Last edited by Alegast; 2016-01-22 at 08:22 PM.

My current games:
    As GM:
    Threats to the Nentir Vale (5e) IC|OOC

As player:
    See extended signature.

21. - Top - End - #21

Well my stance is clear, I have no problem with Jessica joining the group, and Ferret is obviously on board with it. Of course she's a capricious pixie and might not have the best judgment

Hope we can work this out quickly, I want to get on with the adventure.

22. - Top - End - #22

Given my difficulty with separating IC and OOC on this occasion and as I'd rather not be a source of any more OOC conflict or tension going forward, I think I will bow out. Thank you all for RPing, best of luck with the campaign and apologies for the hassle this has caused.

I will arrange an IC post regarding Flawed's departure at the next appropriate time for her to act/speak, if that would be desired.

23. - Top - End - #23
    Banned

That...really doesn't help.

Now the group is down a player and I'm going to have to find a replacement. And the rest of the group will still have to work out how to get Jessica into the group.

This is rapidly becoming much more trouble than it's worth

24. - Top - End - #24

Please understand that I don't want to leave the game - I enjoy RPing Flawed - but I also don't know how to get past this point.

I had thought I was becoming a roadblock and that removing Flawed would facilitate an easier solution. If that's not the case, then I'm still willing to discuss the issue. As I see things from Flawed's point of view:
    * Jessica is a child and children should be sheltered, wherever possible, from danger
    * The inn that the group are currently in seems safe, warm and has a supply of food
    * Bringing Jessica with the group exposes her to the danger as outlined by Ironwick; leaving her in the inn does not and means she has the aforementioned safety, warmth and food

It might be that circumstances could force the group to allow her join but nothing so far has provided that impetus. Perhaps she could follow the group and, once they are engaged with the danger, reveal herself and assist? I would rather not pose scenarios that would leave onlie2005 having little to no fun but am throwing out some potential ideas to get through this.

Anyone else have ideas?

25. - Top - End - #25
    Titan in the Playground

Heroic fantasy is littered with children doing great things.

I have a rule in my campaigns that basically says, no matter what is going on, the players need to find a way to work their differences out in order to keep the game alive.

The easiest solution is for everyone to acknowledge Jessica is a child but also a member of this party. The other characters take Jessica under their collective wings and we move on.
    DMing:

26. - Top - End - #26

Quote Originally Posted by Silent_p View Post
    Please understand that I don't want to leave the game - I enjoy RPing Flawed - but I also don't know how to get past this point.

I had thought I was becoming a roadblock and that removing Flawed would facilitate an easier solution. If that's not the case, then I'm still willing to discuss the issue. As I see things from Flawed's point of view:
    * Jessica is a child and children should be sheltered, wherever possible, from danger
    * The inn that the group are currently in seems safe, warm and has a supply of food
    * Bringing Jessica with the group exposes her to the danger as outlined by Ironwick; leaving her in the inn does not and means she has the aforementioned safety, warmth and food

It might be that circumstances could force the group to allow her join but nothing so far has provided that impetus. Perhaps she could follow the group and, once they are engaged with the danger, reveal herself and assist? I would rather not pose scenarios that would leave onlie2005 having little to no fun but am throwing out some potential ideas to get through this.

Anyone else have ideas?
    Don't leave I like the interaction between Ferret and Flawed and I'm hoping to will turn into a good friendship.

I was actually panning to hold off revealing Ferret's true nature until the party ran into something she could help with. Maybe she could either stay behind with Jessica and encourage her to follow, or have Tempest guide Jessica after the group?

I don't know, just spit balling.

27. - Top - End - #27

Sorry rough last few weeks and internet issues. Maybe it would be better if I created another character? Would that be okay?

28. - Top - End - #28
    Dwarf in the Playground

I don't really see why you have to change your character. The problem with Jessica is her lack of participation in the story so far. As Felhammer said, literature, and specially the fantasy genre, have child characters doing dangerous stuff and that. Is a pretty common trope in this genre.

My current games:
    As GM:
    Threats to the Nentir Vale (5e) IC|OOC

As player:
    See extended signature.

29. - Top - End - #29
    Banned

I am in the process of getting us a replacement player, so hopefully we can move things along soon. Please feel free to RP while we wait.

30. - Top - End - #30
    Titan in the Playground

Sounds like a plan :)
    DMing: