New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Ettin in the Playground

Default The Urban Samurai (The City) (Advanced Class)

After making the Urban Ninja, I've decided to do another easy class. The Urban Samurai.
    Over the next few days you may see a couple more of my The City work. This is because without school right now, I actually the time to do stuff.

The Urban Samurai

Street thugs know no honour. Gangsters know no honour. Crime lords know no honour. And they must be learned. The Urban Samurai is a modern day warrior, fighting for what they believe is right against all who oppose them. Though the ancient nobility may have died out long ago, an Urban Samurai will be the first of a new line. Dealing out justice as they go, this noble soldiers are one of the most hated people on the streets.
    Select this character class if you want your character to be a master of melee versus ranged.
    The fastest path into this advanced class is from the Strong hero basic class, though other paths are possible.

Requirements
    To qualify to become an Urban Samurai a character must fulfill the following criteria.
    Base Attack Bonus: +3
    Skills: Knowledge (Streetwise) 6 ranks
    Feat: Exotic Melee Weapon Profiency (Katana)

Urban Samurai
    {table=head]Level|Base Attack Bonus|Fort Save|Ref Save|Will Save|Special|Defense Bonus|Repuation Bonus

1st|
    +0
    |
    +1
    |
    +0
    |
    +1
    |Sword of the Street +1|
    +1
    |
    +2

2nd|
    +1
    |
    +2
    |
    +0
    |
    +2
    |New Legends +1|
    +1
    |
    +2

3rd|
    +2
    |
    +2
    |
    +1
    |
    +2
    |Bonus Feat|
    +2
    |
    +2

4th|
    +3
    |
    +2
    |
    +1
    |
    +2
    |New Legends +2|
    +2
    |
    +3

5th|
    +3
    |
    +3
    |
    +1
    |
    +3
    |Iaido, Sword of the Street +2|
    +3
    |
    +3

6th|
    +4
    |
    +3
    |
    +2
    |
    +3
    |Bonus Feat, New Legends +3|
    +3
    |
    +3

7th|
    +5
    |
    +4
    |
    +2
    |
    +4
    |Justice|
    +4
    |
    +4

8th|
    +6
    |
    +4
    |
    +2
    |
    +4
    |New Legends +4|
    +4
    |
    +4

9th|
    +6
    |
    +4
    |
    +3
    |
    +4
    |Bonus Feat|
    +5
    |
    +4

10th|
    +7
    |
    +5
    |
    +3
    |
    +5
    |New Legends +5, Sword of the Street +3|
    +5
    |
    +5
    [/table]

Class Information
    The following information pertains to the Urban Ninja.

Hit Die
    The Urban Samurai gains 1d10 hit points per level. The character's Constituion modifier applies.

Action Points
    The Urban Samurai gains a number of action points equal to 6 + one-half his character level, rounded down, every time he attains a new level in this class.

Class Skills
    The Urban Samurai's class skills are as follows.
    Diplomacy (Cha), Gather Information (Cha), Intimidate (Cha), Knowledge (Current events, Streetwise, Theology and philosophy) (Int), Sense Motive (Wis).

Skill Points at each Level: 5 + Int modifier

Class Features
    The following features pertain to the Urban Samurai advanced class.

Sword of the Street
    These days melee weapons are often dropped in favour of the new killing choice, guns. Urban Samurai train diligently to combat firearms, neutralising the best weapons available to their enemies. At 1st level, the Urban Samurai gains a +1 to hit and damage bonus against enemies wielding firearms. At 5th level, the bonus increases to all ranged weapons, and opponents no longer gain a bonus from the Point Blank Shot feat against the Urban Samurai. At 10th level the Urban Samurai has so much experience with the street thugs, than Sword of the Street now extends to Simple weapons as well and the bonus increases to +3.

New Legends
    The katana of an Urban Samurai is going to be an heirloom. But until then, it must first forge legends. The Urban Samurai's katana becomes a +1 katana in his hands at 2nd level. This ability increases by +1 at each even level afterwards (4th, 6th, 8th and 10th level). The katana this is applied to must have no other abilities upon it. If the katana is ever broken, it loses these bonuses until the Urban Samurai kills the one who broke the blade.

Bonus Feats
    At 3rd, 6th and 9th level, the Urban Samurai gets a bonus feat. The bonus feat must be selected from the following list, and the Urban Samurai must meet all the prerequisites of the feat to select it.
    Alertness, Blind-Fight, Brawl, Combat Martial Arts, Defensive Martial Arts, Dodge, Power Attack, Quick Draw, Toughness, Two Weapon Fighting, Toughness

Iaido
    The Urban Samurai knows the Sheath is just as important as the Sword, and can often be just as deadly. An Urban Samurai can choose to fight with the sheath still covering the katana, dealing non-lethal damage instead of lethal. An Urban Samurai can also choose to draw his blade in a striking motion as an attack action. If there is an opponent adjacent to the Urban Samurai when he does this, the Urban Samurai can roll an attack on each. If the attack strikes, he automatically deals a critical hit. This attack is made at his highest base attack bonus.

Justice
    At 7th level the Urban Samurai has become judge, jury and executioner. A number of times per day equal to half his Urban Samurai levels (rounded down) he can attack an enemy at his highest base attack bonus. If he manages to hit the target, the opponent takes a number of d6 equal to the Urban Samurai's level in Order damage. For example, an 8th level Urban Samurai could use the ability 4/day and would deal 8d6 Order damage.
    Last edited by Jibar; 2007-06-16 at 02:13 AM.
    Nothing but a Nobody

Quote Originally Posted by Cogwheel View Post
    Also, are you even human any more, or did you just transcend into some sort of in-joke singularity?

2. - Top - End - #2
    Barbarian in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

Default Re: The Urban Samurai (The City) (Advanced Class)

Very cool. Just one question. Do the bonuses from New Legends stack with any existing masterwork bonus on the weapon? If so, you might end up turning a +3 katana into an (epic) +6 katana by 6th level.
    Before you ask, I didn't know what it meant when I put it in my username. Do NOT ask.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Titan in the Playground

Heh, heh. The Urban Samurai should have some sort of special ability to spot a 'fake' or poor quality Katana (sold everywhere).
    It is a joyful thing indeed to hold intimate converse with a man after one’s own heart, chatting without reserve about things of interest or the fleeting topics of the world; but such, alas, are few and far between.

– Yoshida Kenko (1283-1350), Tsurezure-Gusa (1340)

4. - Top - End - #4
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by PhallicWarrior View Post
    Very cool. Just one question. Do the bonuses from New Legends stack with any existing masterwork bonus on the weapon? If so, you might end up turning a +3 katana into an (epic) +6 katana by 6th level.
    No, the katana has to be an ordinary katana when you start.
    I added that onto the description.
    Nothing but a Nobody

Also, are you even human any more, or did you just transcend into some sort of in-joke singularity?

5. - Top - End - #5
    Bugbear in the Playground

You wrote Urban Ninja a fair few times.
    Last edited by Captain van der Decken; 2007-06-16 at 02:08 AM.
    I WILL round this Cape, even if I have to keep sailing until doomsday!
    Engaged in A Spat with Jibar.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Spoiler
    Show
    Decken by Ceika
    Spoiler
    Show
    Devil Lord-to-be and proud member of the Baatezu Lovers club!

6. - Top - End - #6
    Dwarf in the Playground

Nitpick: In the requirements, you called the class Infiltrator. In the class information, you called the class Urban Ninja.

I have to get some sleep right now, but quickly reading the abilities makes it look pretty cool. We both seem to be working on big, overarching projects right now, so I wish you luck on yours.
    Eye of War Meta-Knight avatar by myself.
    PbP games I'm in.
    Spoiler
    Show

7. - Top - End - #7
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Captain van der Decken View Post
    You wrote Urban Ninja a fair few times.
    Quote Originally Posted by Crystall_Myr View Post
    Nitpick: In the requirements, you called the class Infiltrator. In the class information, you called the class Urban Ninja.
    Note to Self: When doing up new class, stop copying the formatting over from one class to another.
    Nothing but a Nobody

8. - Top - End - #8
    Titan in the Playground

Does it have to be a Masterwork Katana or are all Katana Masterwork in Modern?
    It is a joyful thing indeed to hold intimate converse with a man after one’s own heart, chatting without reserve about things of interest or the fleeting topics of the world; but such, alas, are few and far between.

– Yoshida Kenko (1283-1350), Tsurezure-Gusa (1340)