A Monster for Every Season: Summer 2
You can get A Monster for Every Season: Summer 2 now at Gumroad
Page 1 of 9 123456789 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Dwarf in the Playground

Imp

Default Road to Redemption OOC

Welcome one welcome all! My next post will be a repost of the setting and more about Stone Helm. Can everyone pick a speaking color? NPCs will almost always be bold

2. - Top - End - #2
    Dwarf in the Playground

Imp

Default Re: Road to Redemption OOC

Spoiler: Big Setting
    Show
    The setting for this campaign is the world of Riktog. A world where gods walk on the earth, and a magic enhancing mineral has almost brought about the end of the world. There are 7 nations on 5 continents. The largest continent has three nations: the human trade empire of Voscina, the elvish farm land of Ivbleko and the orc mountains of Yagrur Somaldur. There is the small southern island of Martock, wartorn to beyond recognition, fought over for the large mine of Vesper, a magic enhancing mineral. Rumor has it that the survivors of the war have created a small town on this city, and are trying to create their own nation. The large eastern continent of Oberath is home to the magical woods of the elves and the caverns of the dwarves. Not incredibly welcome to outsiders, Oberath is where most of he raw goods are expored from. Another southern island, Ibertax, is home to an almost inhospitable enviroment, and so is covered in mercenary guilds and training camps for the diffrent nations. Finally, there is the archipelego of Takmer, home of the scholars of this world. This is where magic is taught and perfected, and where the greatest minds debate incredible ideas. You are in the small town of Stone Helm in Voscina, on the river Ackton. What has brought you here and what do you fight for?

Spoiler: Stone Helm Details
    Show
    Stone Helm is a small town located on the rocky ground near the Oziliax Mountain range. It is a small town of about 200 people that makes itís money from selling the rock from the mountain for roadwork. It located on the Ackton river and the Great Durmak Road, so has become a common pitstop for merchants. It has a successful tavern called the Singing Silver, which gains most of itís money from the traders who stay in Stone Helm during the winter. Stone Helms position at a crossroads of trade mean that new people are no strange sight, but you have made no move to interact with the citizens or sell wares, and so are looked at with curiosity.

Please help with this. I am a fairly new DM, so critiques of my writing style/lore are much apreciated.
    Last edited by DarkPI; 2016-01-07 at 08:37 PM.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Orc in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

Eirios will speak in Green because damn! Straight Cyan is unpleasant to look at!

What are the conventions going to be for IC speech, internal thoughts, rolls, narration/expressions/description?
    Last edited by WMO?; 2016-01-07 at 07:57 PM.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Dwarf in the Playground

Imp

IC speech should be just plain colored text, thoughts are italics, rolls are spoiled and description will proably just be normal text. Also can everyone do 1+ posts a day?

It has been advised that I wait a little longer to close the thread, as it has only been two days. Unless something really unexpected happens, we will start the campaign with you 7 on Sunday. Sorry for my mistake, still really new at this.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Titan in the Playground

Rue, Tiefling Monk. He has been shown the error of his ways, and broken free from the master he once had. On the run from his former master, he helps anyone he can and tries to keep a low profile. Not that this is a really easy thing to do for a Tiefling, but he tries.

He will speak in Blood Red, definitely

Rue, Tiefling Monk

Spoiler: Picture
    Show

Spoiler: Background
    Show
    Rue was actually born Bathazar. He was born in the fires of the Nine Hells to a succubus for a mother who had seduced a human male while on the material plane. When he was born, he was immediately baptized in the fires of hell and started his training as an assassin for her Lord and Master, Prince Iados. He saw great potential in her offspring and named him Bathazar. Bathazar spent years of training on how to sneak, and be a good killer. He was conditioned to feel nothing, to have no emotions, and to revel in killing. Once he hit 16, he was dispatched on his first mission.....a test. Bathazar performed admirably and came back to great rewards and praise from his master. For the next eight years he went on missions for his master and became known as the Devil with the Angel's eyes. For Bathazar had pale, pale, bright blue eyes that shown with an unnerving, what looked like, divine power. It is said that Bathazar found an angel, tore its eyes out, and replaced his own with its eyes. It is said. Those that see those eyes know their demise is eminent. He looks like any other Tiefling for the most part. But those eyes are what makes him known as soon as someone who knows who he is, sees him.

The turning point in his life came when he, now a seasoned killer, has been dispatched to kill a pesky do-gooder on the material plane that had been disrupting the Prince's plans. Bathazar found the man in the middle of a forest, in a grove. He pulls out his weapons and immediately charged the man. When happened next, Bathazar had never seen, nor was expecting. The man swung around and blocked Bathazar's sword with his own, and as he did angelic wings sprouted from his back. The man, or angel as Bathazar came to find out, recognized him. He said he was there to stop Bathazar's killings and he would defeat him once and for all. Bathazar had to employ all his talent and tricks to destroy the angel, and even then he almost lost. But the angel took a wrong step, and Bathazar struck him down. As soon as his sword stuck through the angel's heart, a bright, divine light shot out of the angel, and the angel smiled. Bathazar was frozen and couldn't move as the light shone over him and it started to burn him from the inside out. Bathazar screamed in mighty pain and eventually the world went dark.

When he woke up, the angel stood over him with the same smile. He told him the angel was never there to kill him, but to show him the error of his ways and to help him learn just how evil he had been. Despite all he had been told, his eyes were actually the eyes of a human. His father's eyes. And that meant he had good in him still....but given his environment and upbringing, he never had a chance at that life. The angel told him it wouldn't be easy and he would be hunted.....but he was now free. Free to do what he wanted and free from the shackles of his evil life. The angel helped him to a monastery that was nearby and told him he could stay there and then leave. Or, if he preferred, he could stay and learn from the monks. They could teach him what it meant to be at peace with himself.

Of course, Bathazar wanted to leave, but something inside him told him to stay. So he did, at least he told himself it would only be for a little while. But the longer he stayed the more he wanted to learn from the monks and the more peace he started to find. He stayed with them for the next, about, year and a half. And during that time he finally started to find, at least, a little bit of peace and the want to seek redemption for his past deeds....if he can. He renamed himself Rue, in remembrance of how he feels about his past deeds. Now he wanders the lands, keeping out of the reach of his former master and helping those he is able to, whenever he is able to.
    My Extended Signature, Check it out!

DMing:

Amazing Irish Avatar by Savannah

My own 5e Bard Subclass
    Made by the awesome Wartex1!

LGBTA+ Ally

6. - Top - End - #6
    Titan in the Playground

Also, just a note. Along with doing my speech in my color, and thought in Itallics. When I do speech that is in a different language other than common, I will mention the language and then put < > around the speech. Example:

Rue looked at the devil who had appeared before him, speaking the harsh and evil words of his native Infernal, <"You will be seeing my old master before I do, when I send you back to the Nine Hells.">
    Last edited by Irish Musician; 2016-01-07 at 08:22 PM.

DMing:

My own 5e Bard Subclass

LGBTA+ Ally

7. - Top - End - #7
    Dwarf in the Playground

Imp

Quote Originally Posted by Irish Musician View Post
    Also, just a note. Along with doing my speech in my color, and thought in Itallics. When I do speech that is in a different language other than common, I will mention the language and then put < > around the speech. Example:

Rue looked at the devil who had appeared before him, speaking the harsh and evil words of his native Infernal, <"You will be seeing my old master before I do, when I send you back to the Nine Hells.">

I hadn't even thought of other languages. When NPCs speak in other languages, i will probably just spoil it, saying you can only open it if you know the language. I think that is good rule to have for PCs though.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Dwarf in the Playground

Imp

Anouncement 2: please post in this thread if you are still interested in playing. We will begin tomorrow around 12. Hope to see you then!

9. - Top - End - #9
    Dwarf in the Playground

I'm refining her background but here she is: Danan of the Iceni tribe.She will talk in Druidic Teal.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Ettin in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Since DM has specified no colors in posting, I shall not be reserving any :). Since my customary green is taken, I would have taken Goldenrod.

This system is actually more convenient for me, because I no longer need to fiddle with bbcode when posting with my mobile phone!

I Zugg Gathakanati, Goliath from Uthgardt tribe, in North. All goliath believe Fair Play important, but Zugg dishonor self in moment of weakness during battle against rival tribe. Zugg tribe not know what Zugg did, maybe think dead, but Zugg know in heart Zugg did not play fair. Zugg exile self to seek redemption. If Zugg gain strength to beat own weakness, regain honor and return home to family Zugg miss so much.

Zugg Gathakanati, Goliath Barbarian 1
    Special features: Carrying capacity of 160 pounds, training in Acrobatics, uses Strength when physically intimidating foes.
    Last edited by Zergrinch; 2016-01-07 at 10:38 PM.
    Now Playing

Zarron Gemblossom (Half-Elf Bard): IC | OOC
    Zuu Greenbrook (Half-Elf Warlock 7): IC | OOC

11. - Top - End - #11
    Bugbear in the Playground

Beholder

Reese here will post in BLUE ! Because is easy to do from my phone. Which I'm currently on. WooT!

12. - Top - End - #12
    Ogre in the Playground

Still here, I will post my character when ready, rest assured.
    Quote Originally Posted by The_Jette View Post
    If you write gibberish in common, even comprehend languages won't turn it into a sonnet.
    P.Z. - gamer; friend; royalty. 'Tis a pleasure.
    <<Cynthia the Witch by me. she's a nice gal, I promise!

My player Resume, for potential DMs to read over.

My Extended Signature

13. - Top - End - #13

Hello all, Jalana ready to get started! She'll speak in grey.

Spoiler: Background
    Show
    Jalana grew up largely with her mother and older brother on the family farm in a remote region of the Voscina Empire. They kept some animals and tended to a small group of horses for a minor lord in the nearby city. Her father served as part of the standing guard there and, with only an hour's walk home, he made regular appearances to visit and help out where he could. Military service had been an honoured tradition in Jalana's family: her grandmother, her father, obviously, and several older cousins in recent memory. It was hardly surprising that she was drawn to the life as well. At sixteen, she began her training; her parents proud but concerned. While they were initially reassured by generally peaceful conditions in their region at that time, this was not to last. Jalana showed promise and by the time her training was complete, she was assigned to the scouts. Conflict erupted and, along with many other soldiers, she was transferred toward the front lines. The work was dangerous at times but Jalana took great pride in learning from her superiors and being part of something important.

Gradually, the initial outburst died down and a kind of stalemate was achieved. The conflict entered a stage of rumour, espionage and sabotage. Scouts in particular were told to be vigilant for those attempting to approach their forts secretly and to carefully observe any travelers. The job was dull. Jalana herself spotted nothing suspicious and her comrades little more. They grew restless and frustrated. This culminated in one fateful event. Her sergeant had taken to long, solo patrols on a set course. While unusual, this went unremarked as he was entitled to do so. This, in turn, led to increasing numbers of hushed but intense discussions at night between the sergeant, his lieutenant and even soldiers outside the scouts. After several weeks of this suspicious behaviour, a large-scale scouting operation was organised. Some of the non-scout soldiers were included, ostensibly to boost numbers. Rumour had it that an attack was planned and intelligence was needed urgently. They all set out, leaving the fort slightly undermanned.

As part of the group accompanying her sergeant, Jalana felt that an odd mood had taken hold. The usual camaraderie in the face of tension was absent and some even appear furtive and nervous. It wasn't long before the group crested a hilltop and saw the vanguard of what could only be a large army. As per her training, Jalana began counting and assessing the enemy troops, noting unit compositions, supplies, extra mounts and overall strength. She failed to notice the others were not doing the same. Once satisfied, she looked to them. They still appeared nervous but did not look like they would be making any moves. Jalana queried their orders with the sergeant only to be told to be quiet and wait. They waited. Watching as the army marched past them, some close to the base of the hill. Jalana grew alarmed but, glancing at her superior, continued following orders. Despite how impossible it seemed to her, each moment drove the point home: they were betraying the fort. Afraid, she remained still though inside she screamed at herself to run, report and warn. At an unknown signal, the sergeant made his way down the hill to meet an enemy officer. The vanguard had well passed and a regiment of the main army was marching by now. After a brief discussion, the sergeant returned with a large sack. Opening it, he counted out gold for each present, handing it over. Mute, Jalana took hers. Doing otherwise could bring punishment from the others.

Jalana did not return to the fort. Numb, she wandered away, horrified at what she'd done. After several league's distance, she stopped at an inn to drink and maybe forget for a while. Knowing how to sleep rough and catch some food, she was able to make the coin last by using it only for ale and the occasional glass of something stronger. When some recognised her uniform and insignia, thinking her a deserter, she fled. This continued for a few months before her resolve hardened and she stopped drinking. Instead, she traveled, staying away from settlements out of fear and shame. It took over a year before the pain faded enough that she could consider her future. One thing was abundantly clear: she had to make amends. The skills she possessed were good for few things. Obtaining less inflamatory clothing, she managed to find work as a caravan guard. Over time, she gained a reputation for dependability and graduated to the odd bodyguarding job. She found some meagre solace in protecting people and trained hard to become good at it.

It was at the end of one such job, looking after a noble who had business with a river boat captain on the Ackton, that she found her way to a tavern in the town of Stone Helm. Not expecting to find any immediate work there, she settled into a seat at the window with a small glass of wine.

14. - Top - End - #14
    Dwarf in the Playground

Imp

Just a quick question. What have your characters been doing the last couple days? Also, would you characters talk to each other?

15. - Top - End - #15

Jalana spent the last few days as a bodyguard for a minor lord. The lord had business with a riverboat trader with whom he has now taken passage. Given the size of the vessel and their long-term business relationship, the lord felt secure enough to terminate Jalana's contract. She made her way to the nearest inn and sits at a window with a glass of wine.

Jalana will speak if spoken to or speak up if she sees something objectionable but isn't the type to initiate conversation. (Possibly not very helpful to a GM, sorry! )

16. - Top - End - #16
    Ettin in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by DarkPI View Post
    Just a quick question. What have your characters been doing the last couple days? Also, would you characters talk to each other?
    Zugg train self, hunt in wilderness with loyal steed. Zugg no talk unless talked to first. Zugg not much to say.
    Now Playing

17. - Top - End - #17
    Titan in the Playground

Rue will have probably been keeping to the dark corners and not really interacting with people. Given how he looks and his devil heritage, he doesn't tend to go up to people and just start talking. They usually, at the least, give him odd looks, chuckle nervously, and then leave. At the worst they scream and attack. So he definitely does his research before moving into an Inn or town. Both because he doesn't want to find anyone he knows, but also because he doesn't want to get run out of town.

So if, say, he were to find that the Inn the rest of the PC's were in to be at least neutral to him, then he would sit in the corner and sip his wine while he eats some food. Keeping a low profile.

DMing:

My own 5e Bard Subclass

LGBTA+ Ally

18. - Top - End - #18
    Dwarf in the Playground

Imp

T-minus 40 minutes

19. - Top - End - #19
    Dwarf in the Playground

Danan, as all druids, has been doing druidic stuff in the forest. However, she need some supplies (food and that stuff) and more information of the Prime Material, so she was visiting Stone Helm for that. She is using her knowledge of herbs and stuff the help the local alchemist while gaining a few coins, and she goes to the inn everyday in the afternoon to get news and gossip. She is trying to pass herself like as an exotic elf, but I don't know if she has succeeded in that (I don't know if common people in this setting know about the Eladrin).

20. - Top - End - #20
    Dwarf in the Playground

Imp

IC THREAD See you on the other side!

21. - Top - End - #21
    Orc in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

Sorry, I realized I hadn't reposted my character sheet and background for Eirios Noname. Here it is: http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheet.html#id=671984

Spoiler: IMAGE
    Show

Spoiler: BACKSTORY
    Show
    Eirios was sent far from home and apprenticed to a wizard in Takmer. He suffers from kleptomania, but kept it limited to taking small things. That is, until he was finally allowed to enter his beloved master's personal study, and he laid eyes on the glowing blue gem displayed behind his master's desk, suspended in a magical field. He snuck in that very night to pluck it from its place, just to take it back to his room and turn it over in his hands. Unfortunately, he did not know that the gem was the focus for most of the wards around the sanctum, or that that night an unknown magical invader would make an attempt to steal a valuable tome from his master, or that his master would be killed attempting to defend the tome without his full defenses available to him.

When Eirios was uncovered in the rubble the next morning, the arch-mage took the gem, magically stripped him of his honored surname, and exiled him.

Eirios Noname took the first ship he could beg passage on, ending up in the human city of Rashavaca, where, emotionally and spiritually lost and untethered, he fell in with a gang of petty thieves. However, after a time of living filled with shame, indulging his most base inclinations, not caring who he stole from or what he stole, he overheard a passing elf saying a prayer to Fenmarel Mestarine. The reminder that his people had a god for the outcasts like him made him think it could be possible to do better, be better, and maybe even find a way to earn back his name. He said a prayer of thanksgiving and decided to set out in search of a better way, not knowing quite how he'd control his compulsions along the way. He arrived in Stone Helm yesterday with almost nothing to his name and a hunger in his belly.

22. - Top - End - #22
    Dwarf in the Playground

Imp

Quote Originally Posted by Alegast View Post
    Danan, as all druids, has been doing druidic stuff in the forest. However, she need some supplies (food and that stuff) and more information of the Prime Material, so she was visiting Stone Helm for that. She is using her knowledge of herbs and stuff the help the local alchemist while gaining a few coins, and she goes to the inn everyday in the afternoon to get news and gossip. She is trying to pass herself like as an exotic elf, but I don't know if she has succeeded in that (I don't know if common people in this setting know about the Eladrin).
    In this size of a town, you could pretend to be an elf and people would have no idea what that looks like.

23. - Top - End - #23
    Dwarf in the Playground

Imp

It would be great if everybody could post in the IC thread, as it is introductions.

24. - Top - End - #24
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by DarkPI View Post
    It would be great if everybody could post in the IC thread, as it is introductions.
    So just as a heads up, as a DM for PbP's, it is good to give people about a 24 hour window to make posts. People from all over the world, literally, are on these forums and different times zones mean people will be posting at all different time. So for both DM's and players it is good to keep in mind this fact.

Not trying to nag on you or anything, just some friendly advice as a current and past DM of both RL and Pbp games. If you have ever DM'd a RL game, know that Pbp games are a very different beast. There is a lot more retconning and backtracking, purely because of the medium of our play. You can't react in real time, because we are playing with the shackles of both time zones, and people's life schedules.

By the way, Dark, if you ever have any questions, or need any help with DMing this, please don't hesitate to PM or ask me on here. I am by no means the end all-be all of advice and knowledge of DMing (and will gladly admit I make my fair share of mistakes), but I am some experince with these things and will gladly give any knowledge I have. But be sure to remember that the way I do things isn't the way others do it, or the way you should do it. Just more guidelines and something to go by while you find your own DMing style and rhythm.

DMing:

My own 5e Bard Subclass

LGBTA+ Ally

25. - Top - End - #25
    Dwarf in the Playground

Imp

Quote Originally Posted by Irish Musician View Post
    So just as a heads up, as a DM for PbP's, it is good to give people about a 24 hour window to make posts. I am some experince with these things and will gladly give any knowledge I have. But be sure to remember that the way I do things isn't the way others do it, or the way you should do it. Just more guidelines and something to go by while you find your own DMing style and rhythm.
    Oh, my bad, thanks. I will definitely take you up on that offer. Sorry!

26. - Top - End - #26
    Dwarf in the Playground

Imp

Also, this as this is a role-play heavy game and combat is pretty slow in PbP, can we do more thematic battles? Like Player A want to generally do X and then I explain what happens. Your generall combat potential will play in and I'll make people make a couple rolls, but less round by round. Thoughts?

27. - Top - End - #27
    Ettin in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

It's your call, but perhaps we can try the regular system first before abstracting it further?

5e combat isn't quite as slow as 4e...

Full disclosure: I don't want to de-emphasize combat because my character is built precisely for combat. I would likely have built a charisma-heavy character otherwise
    Last edited by Zergrinch; 2016-01-08 at 08:22 PM.
    Now Playing

28. - Top - End - #28
    Dwarf in the Playground

Imp

I was planning on giving 1 or 2 conflicts a shot, I guess I should have specified. Even if we switch over to a more thematic way of fighting, I won't demphasize it, just stream line it. Sorry for the confusion. and I haven't done alot of conflict in PbP, so I should probably wait to malke my descision. Goodnight and see you later!

29. - Top - End - #29

Beholder

I too am a fan of combat! But as a bard and charasmatic and what not, I'll of course do my fair share of role playing as well! As for the last few days, I'd say that Reese has more than likely been taking advantage of the "By popular demand" feature and playing at the inn. BUT maybe getting to a point where his stay is more trouble than its worth, even if I'm bring in business for them.

Now I've mentioned this to Dark, but as it has been brought up I think it only fair to share here as well. In RL I'm working 12+ish hour days 5 days a week, and no access to any computer outside my phone while there. I do try to post daily if possible but I do miss an email here and there and may get behind. If we are waiting on me for a reason, please pm me and let me know and I'll do my best to post asap. My feelings won't at all be hurt.

30. - Top - End - #30
    Dwarf in the Playground

Imp

Just thought I let everyone know that my sleeping scehule loosely lines up with 10:30-9, website time. I will try and be as timely as possible in responding to all IC/OOC/PM questions and posts.