A Monster for Every Season: Summer 2
You can get A Monster for Every Season: Summer 2 now at Gumroad
Page 1 of 8 12345678 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Dwarf in the Playground

Imp

Default Road to Redemption (IC)

You are in the town’s tavern, sitting together not because you know each other but because you are all strangers in the town. You have been sitting in silence for about 5 minutes, understanding that none of you want to talk about the past, when a man bursts through the door of the tavern.

He is a fairly big man with long dark hair and big black beard. His dark blue eyes immediately look to your table. Wearing long purple robes embroidered with gold, he screams wealth. When he draws near, you see a medallion bearing the trade guilds sign, and you understand why someone as rich as him is in a town like this. When he gets close to the table, he begins talking to all of you:

My name is Albreich, the trade guilds representative in this town. I make sure I know everything that comes in and out of this town, and I have noticed you have all decided to stay here for a time. I must make sure you can stay here and won't cause us any trouble. You are strangers to our town who are secretive and quiet. If you are not merchants, why are you here?
    Last edited by DarkPI; 2016-01-08 at 12:02 PM.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Re: Road to Redemption (IC)

Jalana had looked over the others in the tavern earlier and, content with the silence, had taken to looking out the window at the occasional passers-by. Her last job hadn't been taxing - no fighting speak of, merely ensuring that his lordship didn't stray into any obviously unsafe areas. Some coin in her pocket and little to do at that moment, this tavern and a glass of wine had seemed like a manageable next step. Perhaps there would be music later on...

The sudden and brisk entrance of a man shattered her thoughts and the quiet of the day. A quick look confirmed he was wealthy and likely used to being both listened to and obeyed. She disliked him instantly. His demand for information only fuelled her irritation. A quiet drink. All I wanted. If I'd come to be interrogated, I'd have gone and punched a town guard...

A frown on her face, she spoke in a quiet, annoyed tone. "Just enjoying a peaceful drink. No cause for all your bluster."

3. - Top - End - #3
    Orc in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

I can't speak for the others, as we've hardly met, but I have been traveling, looking for worthy work.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Dwarf in the Playground

Imp

I simply want to make sure the town is safe. If you want work, follow me.

Seemingly satified with your answers, he turns and walks back out the tavern without a word.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Titan in the Playground

Rue, Tiefling Monk
    Rue had been sitting in the corner of the room, oddly enough this time with a bunch of other strangers, for a time now. No one seemed to have a problem with his looks and heritage, but he didn't want to spoil the moment by talking and risk having people who actually seem to not hate him, to leave. He sipped his wine and just enjoyed the silence.

Then a big, boisterous man walked into the bar and immediately looked at his table. He was worried, so with a quick hand that passed in front of his eyes, they changed from his pale, bright, almost white blue, to a fiery orange. This is his go-to color when he uses his innate abilities to hide his true eye color, just in case. The man was going on about them causing trouble. rue, certainly, didn't want any trouble...from this man or anyone else. He kind of nervously smiled while a couple of the others gave some answers. The man seemed ok with that and told them if they wanted work, to follow him, and then just left. Rue let out a large breath and took a large gulp of his wine.

"Well, since the silence has been broken....I guess I'll introduce myself. I am Rue, and like you all I am looking for work...as well as just trying to do what I can to help people. I come from a monastery in the forest, and have left there to walk the world for a spell." After his introduction, Rue took another big gulp and after his glass & hand left the front of his face, his eye had changed back to their original color.
    My Extended Signature, Check it out!

DMing:

Amazing Irish Avatar by Savannah

My own 5e Bard Subclass
    Made by the awesome Wartex1!

LGBTA+ Ally

6. - Top - End - #6
    Dwarf in the Playground

Danan has been visiting this tavern for weeks now. It was her favorite place when she arrived on this town, fleeing for her past. The old lady she helped was kind that day and paid her well, and the spare money became a delicious mug of foamy dark ale. For days she had noticed those other guys that, like her, preferred the solitude of tavern and the understanding indifference of both the owners and the patrons.

There was a dark haired human woman and an elf... she must be cautious around him, because he would uncover her scam (about being only an exotic elf). And last was that scary guy, with horns and all. She never saw one of those in the feywild. She had crossed paths with him since she arrived at Stone Helm, but never talked to him...

Then, a fairly big man with long dark hair and big black beard appears from nothing and began to talk to the group. Why this man assumed they were a group? But he offers work and she would better not get the bad side of the people of the town. For now on, she must play along.

"Well, of course. If you think my abilities would be of use for you, count me in..." she smiled, trying to look serene and calm.
    Last edited by Alegast; 2016-01-08 at 06:42 PM.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Ettin in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

The massive Goliath was minding his own business, nursing some mead in the tavern, when some loud boisterous man inflated with his own self importance starts to imperiously interrogate him and the strangers around him. It was brave, nay, reckless of him, really, since the barbarian can pound him to the ground fairly easily.

Fortunately for him, Zugg wasn't in bad humor, and is currently operating with a Goliath's typical insistence on playing fair.

"Zugg just passing through," his voice a deep rumble and causing the tavern to shake a bit. "Need help with something?"
    Now Playing

Zarron Gemblossom (Half-Elf Bard): IC | OOC
    Zuu Greenbrook (Half-Elf Warlock 7): IC | OOC

8. - Top - End - #8

The man's hasty entrance, brusque demands and curt offer of work left a sour taste to Jalana's wine. Day's not going to get any better sitting here. She looked at the others as they briefly introduced themselves. Guess we're an odd bunch if you lump us all together... Some of them seemed nervous but earnest, others calm - including the goliath to her mild surprise. She glanced at her her wine, then her gear and finally the door. A little extra coin couldn't hurt. Hope I don't have to suffer through that fool for long.

Rising to her feet, she nodded at the others. "Jalana," she said quietly. "Seems I'm looking for work no more than the rest of you." She gestured towards the door. "We'd best move if'n we want to see what he's about." She collected her possessions smoothly and began heading out of the tavern.

9. - Top - End - #9

Beholder

Quote Originally Posted by DarkPI View Post
    You are in the town’s tavern, sitting together not because you know each other but because you are all strangers in the town. You have been sitting in silence for about 5 minutes, understanding that none of you want to talk about the past, when a man bursts through the door of the tavern.

He is a fairly big man with long dark hair and big black beard. His dark blue eyes immediately look to your table. Wearing long purple robes embroidered with gold, he screams wealth. When he draws near, you see a medallion bearing the trade guilds sign, and you understand why someone as rich as him is in a town like this. When he gets close to the table, he begins talking to all of you:

My name is Albreich, the trade guilds representative in this town. I make sure I know everything that comes in and out of this town, and I have noticed you have all decided to stay here for a time. I must make sure you can stay here and won't cause us any trouble. You are strangers to our town who are secretive and quiet. If you are not merchants, why are you here?
    The youngest of the group is obviously offended at the bearded mans comment and with no hidden amount of playful disdain responds:
    Come on Albreich! What are you playing at? It's ME! REESE! You know, the handsome little devil that's been wooing all the ladies with his music. He gives both ladies at the table a wink.

At the prospect of coin and seeing that everyone else seems to be getting up, he plays a little exit music on his pan flute, and tags along.

Quote Originally Posted by Irish Musician View Post
    "Well, since the silence has been broken....I guess I'll introduce myself. I am Rue, and like you all I am looking for work...as well as just trying to do what I can to help people. I come from a monastery in the forest, and have left there to walk the world for a spell." After his introduction, Rue took another big gulp and after his glass & hand left the front of his face, his eye had changed back to their original color.
    Quote Originally Posted by Silent_p View Post
    Rising to her feet, she nodded at the others. "Jalana," she said quietly. "Seems I'm looking for work no more than the rest of you." She gestured towards the door. "We'd best move if'n we want to see what he's about." She collected her possessions smoothly and began heading out of the tavern.
    Rue. Jaalannaaa. Hello hello. I'm Reese. THE Reese. I believe some of you have seen my show here, right? It's a decent gig, but room and board can only go so far. You know what I mean? Without waiting for a reponse he continues, Now you big fellow, you said your name was Zzurg? Zog? And what about you m'lady? What can I call you?

10. - Top - End - #10
    Orc in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

Why do non-elves have such a hard time with this?

"I'm an elf, not a lady!" Eirios told the winking halfling. "And my name Eirios--" Suddenly he stopped speaking, with a sound like his throat was suddenly closed, and he looked upset for a second. Then resignedly, he finished. "Eirios. Eirios Noname. I've only recently arrived in Stone Helm. It's nice to meet you all."
    Last edited by WMO?; 2016-01-09 at 04:38 AM.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Albinobrow View Post
    Rue. Jaalannaaa. Hello hello. I'm Reese. THE Reese. I believe some of you have seen my show here, right? It's a decent gig, but room and board can only go so far. You know what I mean? Without waiting for a reponse he continues, Now you big fellow, you said your name was Zzurg? Zog? And what about you m'lady? What can I call you?
    She doubted at first, but then realized she was the only one who doesn't have said her name yet.

Quote Originally Posted by WMO? View Post
    Why do non-elves have such a hard time with this?

"I'm an elf, not a lady!" Eirios told the winking halfling. "And my name Eirios--" Suddenly he stopped speaking, with a sound like his throat was suddenly closed, and he looked upset for a second. Then resignedly, he finished. "Eirios. Eirios Noname. I've only recently arrived in Stone Helm. It's nice to meet you all."
    "I guess he was talking about me, Eirios. I'm Danan of..." she didn't finished the phrase. No, she has lost the right to be known by her tribe name. "You can call me Danan" she smiled.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Ettin in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Albinobrow View Post
    Without waiting for a reponse he continues, Now you big fellow, you said your name was Zzurg? Zog!
    Normally, all creatures who are not Dragonborn, Goliath, or Half-Orc are puny to Zugg. The hulking Goliath clearly stands out in a crowd. Imagine his surprise at being addressed by this... tiny tiny blond haired human. No, humans aren't that tiny. What manner of creature is this?

"Tiny little man... thing," rumbles Zugg who is straining as he bends over to get a good look at the Bard. "How you know Zugg clan? Zzurg is sister, Zog is uncle."
    Last edited by Zergrinch; 2016-01-09 at 05:45 AM.

13. - Top - End - #13

Deciding not to stay for anything after the introductions, Jalana stepped out of the tavern into the street. Stone Helm was a small place really and it was easy to imagine little of note had ever occurred within the village limits. Mostly a stopping point rather than a destination.

She glanced back inside at the motley crew and grimaced faintly. Maybe his concern wasn't so unreasonable. Still no call for the attitude, though. She looked around for the man who'd promised them work.

14. - Top - End - #14
    Titan in the Playground

Rue, Tiefling Monk
    Rue listened and nodded as the others introduced themselves. Well, at least no one seems to be running in fear. OR trying to stab me. This is starting out better than many of my conversations with others, he thinks to himself. He nods to Jalana, "I suppose you are right on that one. If we take too long, he might give the work out to someone else." Rue threw a few coins down for the waitress and started to follow Jalana out the door, and towards the work.

DMing:

My own 5e Bard Subclass

LGBTA+ Ally

15. - Top - End - #15
    Dwarf in the Playground

Imp

When you get outside, Albreich is waiting.

Well, is this it? Or are more of you coming. I do hate being kept waiting. As a representative of the trade guild, I ought to be given a measure of respect. He waits of a couple seconds and then hands Jalana a bag of money (15gp) and contract. If any of your "compatriots" wish to join they can. I expect regualr updates and a degree of subtlety. He says that last thing with a glare at Reese. Then, without saying goodbye, Albreich turns and storms off into the town.

Spoiler: OOC/Contract
    Show
    Sorry, forgot that I was bolding npc talk.
    Also, the gist of the contract is this:
    The villagers have been getting angry at the nobles for the last two months and it is getting worse. The trade guild fears a strike, and so you have been hired to figure out a way to put an end to the problem quickly. They do not care what happens to the villagers or the nobles, only that the situation is fixed. It suggests finding and attending a villager meeting or meetting the baron. Payment is dependant on how quick you fix the problem and how many loose ends you wrap up. Included in the contract is a letter of passage to get into the castle and suggestion to use the gold as bribe money.
    Last edited by DarkPI; 2016-01-09 at 11:05 AM.

16. - Top - End - #16
    Dwarf in the Playground

Danan left the tavern when Albreich finished his talk and them goes into the town.

"Well, what we have to do?", she asked to Jalana.
    Last edited by Alegast; 2016-01-09 at 03:02 PM.

17. - Top - End - #17

Jalana, glad that the merchant had departed, was still reading the main points of the contract as others were exiting the tavern. "There's some kinda dispute 'tween the locals and the nobility here. Trade guild wants the problem solved - imagine so's it doesn't eat into their profits," she said, without looking up. "We're to mediate, I guess, make sure there's no strike. Meet with both sides."

Reaching the end of the paper, Jalana glanced around those nearby. "There's a letter of admission to the castle and some coin." She shrugged and held out the document to anyone who wanted to see it. "Payment depends on being quick and clean."

18. - Top - End - #18

Beholder

Quote Originally Posted by DarkPI View Post
    If any of your "compatriots" wish to join they can. I expect regualr updates and a degree of subtlety. He says that last thing with a glare at Reese. Then, without saying goodbye, Albreich turns and storms off into the town.
    As Albreich walks away, Reese scowls and sticks his tongue at him. He then looks around at the group of strangers hoping to see if anyone found him amusing.

Quote Originally Posted by Silent_p View Post
    Jalana, glad that the merchant had departed, was still reading the main points of the contract as others were exiting the tavern. "There's some kinda dispute 'tween the locals and the nobility here. Trade guild wants the problem solved - imagine so's it doesn't eat into their profits," she said, without looking up. "We're to mediate, I guess, make sure there's no strike. Meet with both sides."

Reaching the end of the paper, Jalana glanced around those nearby. "There's a letter of admission to the castle and some coin." She shrugged and held out the document to anyone who wanted to see it. "Payment depends on being quick and clean."
    After hearing the task Reese exclaims, Onward then! And starts marching away from the tavern. Three steps down the road he comes to an abrupt halt, does an overly flourished about-face, and marches three steps back to the group. Does anyone actually know where we're supposed to be heading by chance?

19. - Top - End - #19
    Ettin in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

"Zugg not know," Zugg says as he lets out a tremendous shrug. He doesn't quite understand how he got roped into mediating a dispute, but he might as well see it through.
    Now Playing

Zarron Gemblossom (Half-Elf Bard): IC | OOC
    Zuu Greenbrook (Half-Elf Warlock 7): IC | OOC

20. - Top - End - #20
    Orc in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

"I saw the castle on my way into town, we could try going there to find out more about what's going on, and hear what the nobles think," Eirios offered.

Why did you say that, you know there's going to be things you want there. Stupid, stupid!

"Or we could talk to people here first, and not go to the castle just yet, maybe?" he hastily added.
    Last edited by WMO?; 2016-01-10 at 01:56 PM.

21. - Top - End - #21

Jalana nodded slowly at Eirios' suggestion. Definitely ain't in the mood to deal with a bunch of stuffed shirt nobles.

She looked at the others. "Not really interested in takin' charge or forcin' anyone into followin' me but I'd say talkin' to the workers'd be the best first step." She grunted, glancing in the direction the merchant had headed. "More likely to get facts."

22. - Top - End - #22
    Dwarf in the Playground

Danan followed Jalana.

"I guess, this is the best course of action" said nervously.

She didn't knew how to talk to humans properly, and following someone with more experience would be better.

23. - Top - End - #23
    Dwarf in the Playground

Imp

As more of your "group" begins coming out of the tavern, a cold wind blows down from the mountains, and a light rain begins to fall. Those of you not used to this this kind of weather pull your coats a little closer to you. The tavern that you just left, called the Pit Stop, is loacated on the cross-section of the Great Road and River Road. The Great Road leads farther into town and is where most of the shops are located. This is the direction Albreich went, though you can't see him anymore. River road, leads across the river and up towards Castle Kirkven which is home of Baron Kirkven, ruler of Stone Helm. Stone Helm in general is a hodgepodge of shops and houses based around the river and the Great Road. A small hill rises to the south, on which a stone church is located. The strangest feature of the town is the excavavtion behind the church of a red ziggurat made of a dark red stone. The excavation was partly done by nature when a sink hole opened into a fungal cavern. None of you have asked about this yet.

As you begin walking towards town, you notice that few shopkeepers are open today. In fact, there are just less villagers than normal. After a couple minutes of walking, a young man with his head down bumps into your party and falls into the mud. You catch a brief flash of fear as he stammers: Mm mmy my apologies, wasn't looking w-w-where I was g-going. I-I'll be on my w-w-way now. He quickly stands up and begins to hurry off. He mutters something under his breath that you can't quite catch.

Spoiler: Any one who wants to can make a DC 13 perception check to try and make out what he said. Open if succeeded or if you have a higher passive perception
    Show
    Stupid. Stupid. Eagon doesn't want us talking to the outsiders. Eagon doesn't want outsiders at the meeting tonight. I don't want Eagon to punsh me. Stupid. Stupid.
    Last edited by DarkPI; 2016-01-10 at 05:30 PM.

24. - Top - End - #24
    Titan in the Playground

Rue, Tiefling Monk
    As they are outside and figuring out what to do, Rue stands and listens to this newly formed group before weighing in with them. If the monks taught him anything, it was patience. Then a youth walks right into Zugg, bouncing off and landing in the mud. Rue immediately tries to help him up, but the youth pops up and starts walking away. He hears him say something, and maybe this information will help them out. Once the youth is a ways away from him, "The kid that just fell seemed to be mumbling to himself. Something about a meeting and them not wanting outsiders there or talking to "the outsiders." He said he might get punished by some....Eagon. Don't know what all that is about, might behoove us to follow him, though, and see what all that is about. I'll follow him and see what I can find out." Rue throws the cloak over his head and starts to walk after the youth, keeping to the shadows in case the kid looks behind him.

Spoiler
    Show
    Stealth (1d20+6)[14] to keep from being seen following him and casting Thaumaturgy as he goes to dim any lights whose path he may have to cross.

DMing:

My own 5e Bard Subclass

LGBTA+ Ally

25. - Top - End - #25
    Dwarf in the Playground

Imp

Rue throws the cloak over his head and starts to walk after the youth, keeping to the shadows in case the kid looks behind him.
    Seemingly too preoccupied to notice Rue, the youth walks to the stone church. When he gets there, the old wooden doors open, and he enters. Right before the doors slam shut, he casts a furtive glance around the street, but does not notice Rue

26. - Top - End - #26
    Titan in the Playground

Rue, Tiefling Monk
    Rue watches the youth go into the church and as soon as he enters, Rue runs back to his companions. "The meeting is at the church in the town. I'd go alone, but given my appearance, I don't think they'd feel too kindly with someone like me walking into the church alone. Though, if I hide behind the big guy, here, there might not be as much of a fuss." He looks around at his new companions, "What do y'all say? Go talk to the townsfolk at the church?"

DMing:

My own 5e Bard Subclass

LGBTA+ Ally

27. - Top - End - #27
    Orc in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

"None of us exactly blend in. Even Jalana, who's at least human, armored and tough as she looks, would probably be seen as "an outsider" like that guy said. Do any of you have a way we could listen to what's going on in there, without having to go inside?"

28. - Top - End - #28

Beholder

Rue, Tiefling Monk
    Rue watches the youth go into the church and as soon as he enters, Rue runs back to his companions. "The meeting is at the church in the town. I'd go alone, but given my appearance, I don't think they'd feel too kindly with someone like me walking into the church alone. Though, if I hide behind the big guy, here, there might not be as much of a fuss." He looks around at his new companions, "What do y'all say? Go talk to the townsfolk at the church?"

Sounds as good a plan as any I could come up with! And he didn't see you at all huh? Not sure how he could miss you! HA! He slaps Rue as high on his back as he can muster, jumping up just a little bit. But seriously, you practically disappeared back there. That as amazing! I can be pretty stealthy too! See? With that he runs behind Zugg waiting for a comment from anyone.

29. - Top - End - #29

Jalana said nothing but watched as Rue followed the youth. She hadn't caught what had been muttered but there seemed little reason for tiefling to lie about it. Seems eager. She momentarily lost sight of him as he tracked the local and little was said in the few minutes before his return. Like the others, she listened to Rue's report. The church. She gave Eirios an odd look as he voiced his opinion. Least I'm human? Folks really that bigoted 'round here? She thought of the merchant and his bluster. Huh. Maybe so.

As the halfling darted behind the goliath, Jalana spoke up, looking at Rue. "Good work. Sounds like a start." She glanced at Eirios. "Not sure spyin' on folks'd be the best way t'mediate a dispute. I'd vote t'head straight in, make our intentions clear. They got issue with any of us 'cause of what we look like, best get it in the open early."

30. - Top - End - #30
    Dwarf in the Playground

Danan listened to all, quietly. She even listened to the scared human. Never thought the humans were scared of her, the old lady was so kind...

Again, Jalana's idea was the best course of action.