A Monster for Every Season: Summer 2
You can get A Monster for Every Season: Summer 2 now at Gumroad
Page 1 of 7 1234567 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Dwarf in the Playground

Default Threats to the Nentir Vale: Keep on the Shadowfell (5e IC)

Realms, both wondrous and dire, border the world. One such realm is the Shadowfell. Although not inherently evil, the Shadowfell is fraught with dangers, and the barrier between worlds can be thin. Sometimes the darkness breaks into the light.

Nearly two hundred years ago, a cult of the demon prince Orcus purposely created such a gap, connecting one of Orcusís unholy Shadowfell sites to the world. Skeletons, zombies, and fouler creatures flooded through the rift into the light of day. At the time the empire of Nerath was at its height, and dispatched an army to fight the threat. Ultimately they succeeded in destroying the cult and seal the portal, but the planar fabric had been greatly weakened. To prevent a further catastrophe they built a fortress over the site, which served its purpose until Nerath collapsed and the fortress itself fell into ruin and was forgotten. This is the site known as the Keep on the Shadowfell.

Decades of peace followed, and the village of Winterhaven arose within sight of the keep. Today, it is seen as a harmless tumble of stone and wood.

If only that were true.

Whatever the reasons of your travel, you go down the Kingís Road to Winterhaven. Nearly at the end of your journey, however, you see smoke on the horizon. A little while later you round a corner in the road and look down into a clearing: A small farmhouse has been burnt to the ground, its ruins still sending a trail of smoke into the air...

My current games:
    As GM:
    Threats to the Nentir Vale (5e) IC|OOC

As player:
    See extended signature.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Halfling in the Playground

OldWizardGuy

Default Re: Threats to the Nentir Vale: Keep on the Shadowfell (5e IC)

"Oh dear..."

Pahadur the Dragonborn surveyed the smoking ruins before him, the fingers of his right hand resting on the hilt of his longsword while his left arm held his shield at the ready. His trek to Winterhaven had been mostly uneventful, not so much as a bandit or ravenous animal meeting his path. He was almost certain that he would his destination by nightfall without any trouble on the way but all that changed when he saw smoke and found this..

Immediately he thought to check for survivors despite knowing that it was probably futile, the farmhouse had burned down long ago, anyone trapped inside was probably dead by now. This raised the question of whether this was an accidental fire or a deliberate one. On the off-chance that it was the latter then the arsonist/s responsible could still be in the surrounding area. Therefore he had to tread lightly.

Drawing his longsword the Dragonborn would slowly advance closer to the ruins, his emerald green eyes searching the surrounding area and wreckage for any signs of survivors, clues or hostile enemies, if any...

((OOC: I believe Perception applies here. Proficiency in Perception so +2 but a -1 negative modifier in Wisdom so +1))
    Spoiler: Perception Check
    Show
    (1d20)[20]+1

3. - Top - End - #3
    Barbarian in the Playground

DruidGuy

Roscoe was merrily whistling while walking down the King's Road. It was a long hike from Fallcrest, where the diminutive adventurer was approached by a certain Parle Cranewing for help. Promising to map an ancient ruin of sorts near the town of Winterhaven, the halfling has already left town when he realized that he never negotiated a reward. A job was a job, and surely an esteemed scholar would be willin' to pay up, he figured.

He was hoping to find other travelers going to Winterhaven, preferably with a vehicle, but the best offer he got was a short ride on a cart to a small logging camp near Fallcrest. The overly talkative dwarf at the reins told him horrible tales of dangers in the wilderness but so far, this neck of journey was surprisingly free of danger and nuisance - even if Roscoe's feet hurt a little after several days of walking. One morning, after meticulously checking a crudely drawn map he was able to purchase for a not insignificant amount of money at the town and trying to figure out just where he was, he realized that faint plumes of smokes were coming up on the horizon.

"Mus' be a huntin' party", Roscoe muttered to himself as he followed the road. The apparent source of smoke was in the same direction the King's Road was taking him - and if there was a merry campfire with friendly people, he could at least ask them if Winterhaven was nearby. Just before the bend in the road, he remembered the dwarf's warnings. "What if it's a camp of bandits? I reckon I better sneak up and see first..."

Strapping on his shield, the halfling snuck out off road, carefully approaching the source of the smoke. Looking into the clearing through undergrowth, he saw a burning farmhouse...

Spoiler: Rolls
    Show

(1d20+3)[15] Stealth
    (1d20+1)[21] Perception to examine the scene, focusing on people and/or bodies.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Titan in the Playground

Arnolf watches the warrior advancing on the farmhouse and remarks to anyone listening: "I thought it was moths that were drawn to fires... perhaps someone should amend the old adage?"

Then, running off after Pahadur, he asks, "what do you see? Adventure? Danger? Treasure?!"
    Last edited by Ninja_Prawn; 2016-01-13 at 12:59 PM. Reason: Wait, you're not the paladin...
    Lydia Seaspray by Oneris!

Spoiler: Acclaim
    Show
    Winner of Spellbrew Contest I & Subclass Contest II
    Quote Originally Posted by JNAProductions View Post
    That is the perfect ending. Thread done, Ninja_Prawn won.
    Quote Originally Posted by KorvinStarmast View Post
    We love our ninja prawn.
    Quote Originally Posted by Professor Gnoll View Post
    NinjaPrawn, you are my favourite.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sir cryosin View Post
    Ninja you're like the forum's fairy godmother.
    Quote Originally Posted by ThinkMinty View Post
    This is why you're the best, Ninja Prawn.

A Faerie Affair

Homebrew: Sig, MHP

5. - Top - End - #5
    Dwarf in the Playground

Kobold scout perception:
    (1d20-2)[16]

Checks results:

Spoiler: Zarak243
    Show
    As you thought, there are no survivors. You notice the halfling barbarian hidden on the trees and the small, rusty colored kobolds awaiting to ambush you in the bushes.

Spoiler: root
    Show
    There are two other adventurers there, a human and a dragonborn. Seems to be traveling along. As you scouts the farm, you see no survivors. There is also a bunch of kobolds hidden on the bushes, trying to ambush the adventurers. The kobold scout seems to have noticed you.
    Last edited by Alegast; 2016-01-13 at 11:20 AM.

My current games:
    As GM:

As player:
    See extended signature.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Ogre in the Playground

NinjaGuy

Robert had enjoyed his time at the temple of Bahamut. He had trained eagerly but had become anxious staying in the confined spaces of temple and longed to travel. His master agreed and sent him to Winterhaven, to defend people there from kobold attacks.

The trip had gone nicely, with no troubles. As Robert walked on the road , he noticed smoke rising from a ruined farmhouse. He hurried towards it and saw there were already a few people near. "Greetings, travelers. I am Robert of house Lancaster, paladin of Bahamut, at your service", Robert says and gives a small bow. "If I may ask, have any of you any idea what sort of incident took place here?"
    Last edited by Majin; 2016-01-13 at 01:02 PM.

7. - Top - End - #7

DruidGuy

Doing his best to appear non-chalant, Roscoe emerges from his cover. "I reckon ya'll aren't a hunting party after all" he says to the rapidly growing crowd near the ruined farmhouse. "Is this the way to Winterhaven?"

Remembering his etiquette, he added "Err. Name's Roscoe Hilltopple. " With a slightly bothered look on his face, the halfling added, quietly "Anyone else see those kobolds over yonder? Are they your friends? They look an awful lot like you, all dragony an' what not."

8. - Top - End - #8
    Titan in the Playground

In reply to the halfling: "kobolds? Ah, that must be what's caught Pahadur's attention." Arnolf flashes a winning smile. "I can state with absolute certainty that they are not with us. Furthermore, I suspect that they are, in fact, loathsome monsters who have plagued this road for far too long."

"How about a friendly wager? Say... whoever of us slays the most of these curs drinks for free at the next tavern?"

Another smile. "Name's Arnolf Runebreand, by the way. And yes, this is the way to Winterhaven."
    Last edited by Ninja_Prawn; 2016-01-13 at 01:59 PM.

Show
    We love our ninja prawn.

A Faerie Affair

9. - Top - End - #9
    Halfling in the Playground

OldWizardGuy

His gaze would sweep the surrounding area however Pahadur would be unable to find any corpses or survivors. He took this as good news, perhaps they all got out okay or even weren't in the farm in the first place. However the kobolds that lay in cover nearby did not escape his scrutiny. Those were most likely the ones responsible for this mess. But how should he approach them?
    As he pondered over how best to approach this he suddenly realized that he was not alone.

"Wha-What?" He would say, whipping around to find the trio behind him. "When did you people get here?"he would ask before thinking it over a moment and shaking his head. "Doesn't matter. The important thing is that there is a bunch of kobolds laying yonder in ambush." He would very discreetly point out with his thumb. "And lets try a less violent approach, at least at first," he would say with a look at Arnolf before turning towards where the kobolds were hidden and slowly advancing, calling out in Draconian. "We do not wish to hurt you. Come out and talk to us and we will give you shinies." He knew from experience how dumb the creatures were and that the fastest way to get their attention was offer them something valuable.

((OOC: Just pointing out that Pahadur has had experience with kobolds given his backstory))

Spoiler: Persuasion Roll
    Show
    (1d20)[10]

10. - Top - End - #10

DruidGuy

"Not with you? Huh. Maybe they know what happened to this farmhouse... "

With a grim realization, he added "Or maybe they caused it in the first place..."

Roscoe's varied experiences living off the land mainly pitted him against wild beasts, but ever since he picked up a shield and axe he's seen his share of stranger and more malicious things. He wasn't sure if the diminutive lizard people had anything in common with the so called dragon born - they sure looked similarly enough even if he never heard stories of the latter causing trouble in the wilderness.

Turning to Arnolf, Roscoe responded "Nice to meetcha. If it comes down to that, I may as well take you up on that wager."

Noticing Pahadur speak a strange tongue at the kobolds in an apparent attempt to communicate, the halfling took out his spear, eyeing the hidden creatures suspiciously.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Titan in the Playground

Noticing Roscoe's expression, Arnolf says: "you don't speak Draconic, do you. Allow me explain..." and he translates what Pahadur said into Common.
    Last edited by Ninja_Prawn; 2016-01-13 at 02:45 PM.

Show
    We love our ninja prawn.

A Faerie Affair

12. - Top - End - #12
    Ogre in the Playground

NinjaGuy

"Kobolds? Where?", Robert shouted and drew his weapons. His gaze panned over the bushes and focused on a scout hiding there.

In response to Arnolf's suggestion: "Making such wagers would be unseemly. A proper paladin does not seek personal glory in battle. He merely does what needs to be done". The beast in his mind screamed at him for saying stupid things like that, as usual. Robert pushed such thoughts away.

Robert looks at Pahadur as he talks to the kobolds. "Is he truly attempting to negotiate with these beasts?", he whispers to the others.
    Last edited by Majin; 2016-01-13 at 02:58 PM.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Titan in the Playground

"Looks like it." He sighs. "A bunch of kobolds, armed to the teeth, lying in ambush, near a burned-out farm. Who knows, maybe they'll go for his shinies?"

Show
    We love our ninja prawn.

A Faerie Affair

14. - Top - End - #14

DruidGuy

"Who said anything about glory?" Roscoe protested "...or paladins, for that matter. We are talking about drinks!"

Whispering back, he added, "I haven't got the slightest idea! I reckon the kobolds will be mighty disappointed when they find out we don't have any shinies."

15. - Top - End - #15
    Dwarf in the Playground

DwarfClericGuy

Dorrek Godforge approached the smoke through the trees. He had spotted it off the road on his quest to Winterhaven. Coming upon the ruins, he spots a party of very unique-looking people standing some ways away from a dragonborn who seemed to be conversing with another group of Kobolds

"Could it be?" He whispers to himself.
    Last edited by Drokrath; 2016-01-13 at 03:23 PM.

16. - Top - End - #16
    Dwarf in the Playground

The small creatures hiding behind the rocks spring into view and move towards you. They threat you in their funny draconic. "Give monies! More monies!" They barked. Seems they're not in the mod to bargain.

There are five kobolds, four of them with spears, one with sword and a shield. This one seems to be the leader.
    Last edited by Alegast; 2016-01-13 at 05:34 PM.

My current games:
    As GM:

As player:
    See extended signature.

17. - Top - End - #17
    Ettin in the Playground

Kellin Fletcher

Kellin moved to a position to watch the interaction going on at the recently destroyed farmhouse. He had heard about kobolds moving through the vale, but it took him a few days to find this small pack. What is going on down there, he thought to himself. Is he talking to them? Are they allied? It could certainly make a difference if the kobods were working under the orders of someone else.

He readied his bow and nocked an arrow, but wanted to wait to see how this played out before doing anything.

Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    I'll use the magenta-ish color (A52A2A) if it's not taken or too close.
    Last edited by Fishybugs; 2016-01-13 at 05:11 PM.

18. - Top - End - #18
    Titan in the Playground

Arnolf sidles up to Pahadur's side and whispers into his ear: <Common> "what is it you want from them? They're just bandits, out here to rob people."

Show
    We love our ninja prawn.

A Faerie Affair

19. - Top - End - #19
    Dwarf in the Playground

DwarfClericGuy

Dorrek attempts to stealthily move to a position closer to the confrontation without being detected so he can listen in, and intervene if necessary.

((got caught up, heres my stealth roll:
    Spoiler: stealth
    Show

first roll
    [roll]d20[/roll]
    disadvantage
    [roll]d20[/roll]
    Last edited by Drokrath; 2016-01-13 at 07:28 PM.

20. - Top - End - #20
    Orc in the Playground

Rag left Hammerfast and travelled the length of the Vale. As he approached Winterfast he saw a plume of smoke. A few seconds later a small owl flew up and then returned a little later.
    Rag stood and appeared to have an internal conversation. He then muttered a few words and started to cautiously approach the burnt building.

Spoiler: Luc
    Show
    "Oh, so you want a magic periscope?"
    "Please, what's burning?"
    pause
    "A burnt out building with a rather odd group of characters standing next to it."
    "Hmm, I don't think they're the ones who burnt the building. Let's talk to them."
    "They look pretty rough to me, but it's your funeral."
    "There's a hafling and somebody with a symbol of Moradin, I'm sure they won't eat me."
    "Not till they've fattened you up first they won't."

Spoiler: Mage Armor
    Show
    AC goes to 15.

Spoiler: Perception
    Show
    Rag and Luc are worried about a possible ambush before they reach the group.

Rag: [roll0]
    Re-roll in case of rolling 1: [roll1]

Luc: [roll2]
    Advantage: [roll3]

21. - Top - End - #21
    Dwarf in the Playground

DwarfClericGuy

((apparently rolls dont work on edits lol
    Spoiler: stealth
    Show

first roll
    (d20)[9]
    disadvantage
    (d20)[1]
    Last edited by Drokrath; 2016-01-13 at 07:29 PM.

22. - Top - End - #22
    Dwarf in the Playground

Dorrek attempts to go unnoticed failed miserably. He stomp all the little branches on the floor and his armor make metallic noises loud enough for all the kobolds to focus their attention on him. "Fat dwarf! More food! Yum-yummy!" they bark in draconic.

Show
    Roll initiative

Kobold group initiative.
    (1d20+2)[9]

My current games:
    As GM:

As player:
    See extended signature.

23. - Top - End - #23
    Dwarf in the Playground

DwarfClericGuy

Dorrek tramples along, thinking himself as silent as mouse. He looks up sharply at the Kobolds' ringing tones.

"Oh, blast.."

Spoiler: initiative and ooc
    Show

Yeah i messed up, i broke the roll for my first message, then messaged again with a working roll, got 15, then I was going to compress them to one post but ended up deleting the one with the working roll...
    So the DM can give me the 15, use this new roll, whatever it is, or just give me a really low initiative, their call
    (d20)[18]

24. - Top - End - #24
    Dwarf in the Playground

Rolling players initiative, as discussed in the OOC.

(1d20+3)[8]

My current games:
    As GM:

As player:
    See extended signature.

25. - Top - End - #25

DruidGuy

Roscoe cringed as he heard the dwarf try to sneak up on the kobolds. The creatures screamed something incomprehensible at him, and instinctively Roscoe knew that violence was inevitable.
    Taking advantage of his speed, he pushed to the front of the gathering, aiming to put himself between the kobolds and everyone else. Having found a good position, he raised his shield and battle axe, ready to slash at the first to approach.
    Spoiler: Mechanics
    Show

Move (up to 25 feet); Ready action to attack.

Rolls from OOC;
    Readied action (assuming it triggers):
    To hit (1d20+4)[9]
    damage (1d8+2)[9]
    my AC is 19

26. - Top - End - #26
    Dwarf in the Playground

DwarfClericGuy

Dorrek turns from the group of Kobolds and sprints out of the cover of the trees, a strained, frightened expression on his face and a low sound of terror coming from his mouth as he realized he was caught out on his own.

27. - Top - End - #27
    Dwarf in the Playground

The kobolds follow the dwarf, shouting and howling. Two of them are close enough to attack the cleric.

Kobold 1: (1d20+1)[8]
    Kobold 2: (1d20+1)[15]
    Last edited by Alegast; 2016-01-14 at 02:57 AM.

My current games:
    As GM:

As player:
    See extended signature.

28. - Top - End - #28
    Dwarf in the Playground

One of them is able to hurt the dwarf with his spear, before him was able to reach the three adventurers near the burned farm.

Damage: (1d8+1)[3]

My current games:
    As GM:

As player:
    See extended signature.

29. - Top - End - #29
    Ogre in the Playground

NinjaGuy

HP: 12/12, AC: 18, PPerception: 12

"Worry not, revered brother, I shall assist you!"
    Rober shouted and charged the kobold in front of him, striking at it with his sword.

Show
    Attack: (1d20+5)[6]
    Damage: (1d8+3)[9]
    Last edited by Majin; 2016-01-14 at 03:22 AM.

30. - Top - End - #30
    Titan in the Playground

<Common> "Good luck, Roscoe!" Says Arnolf. <Common> "May the best man win!"

He then draws his rapier and whip, moves into combat (NE, NE, E) and attacks the leader...

Rapier: (1d20+5)[13]
    Damage: (1d8+3)[11]
    Whip: (1d20+5)[15]
    Damage: (1d4)[1]
    Sneak attack (applies to the first attack that hits): (1d6)[5]

Show
    We love our ninja prawn.

A Faerie Affair