Support the GITP forums on Patreon
Help support GITP's forums (and ongoing server maintenance) via Patreon
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Ogre in the Playground

ClericGirl

Default The Walls of Troy (IC)

A trireme cuts through choppy water. Hoseidon has sent a storm to speed it along, or so it would seem. The sails are stretched out, catching the wind as the ship heads east from Minos, towards Troy. The treacherous Trojans have kidnapped the Queen of Lakonia, and the entire region sits on the brink of war. However, cooler heads have so far prevailed. Lakonia called on its allies, and the Delphoian delegate hatched a daring plan. A group of heroes would make the journey to Troy, find Queen Elen, and rescue her. That way, she would not be in danger when the combined armies lay siege to the city.

The captain of the ship, called the Chiron, is an old Dwarf called Nestor. He was hired by the Lakonian king to transport his chosen group of heroes, which would be the five of you, to Troy. Nestor is a simple merchant from Minos, but is reputed to have the fasted ship in Mid-World. On his vessel, you'll make it to Troy months before the rest of the fleet.

Nestor stands on the deck as the rain pounds down around him, the ship rocking as the sea roils beneath. He turns around to face you as a group.

"Good to meet you all. It's an honor to have you on board. I was told all about your mission, of course. And let me say, it's a noble thing you're doing. Just wanted to have a word before too long. You're guests on my ship, but a time may come when I need you. Whether to do a job, or fight off monsters or boarders. Do I have your word that I can count on you?"
    Red Sun: a D&D 5e setting based on DC comics!

Red Sun Redux: a revised and revamped version that includes the new content released since the first version of the setting.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: The Walls of Troy (IC)

A mighty half-orc with great muscles steps forth to shake his hand rather firmly, his grunt audible through the rainstorm like a distant thunder.
    "You too are part of this a mighty deed for Lakonia, my name is Avitus Brutus; consider my arms and hands as your own on our voyage."

Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    does this shade of yellow bother anybody? Should I use a darker shade?
    Last edited by Prince Zahn; 2016-01-14 at 04:36 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by The_Jette View Post
    If you write gibberish in common, even comprehend languages won't turn it into a sonnet.
    P.Z. - gamer; friend; royalty. 'Tis a pleasure.
    <<Cynthia the Witch by me. she's a nice gal, I promise!

My player Resume, for potential DMs to read over.

My Extended Signature

3. - Top - End - #3
    Titan in the Playground

The Goliath known as Helmsplitter frowned at the man. Clad only in the pelts of beasts she, herself, had slain, the warrior exposed much of her heavily tattooed flesh. Despite her disdain for armor, she had few battle wounds, but instead held a very dented shield in one hand. In the other she gripped a spear with steel stained red, which she slammed against her shield. "You may as well ask the sea if she churns, or ask fire if she burns. You stand before a true warrior. Look me in the eyes, merchant, I am no errand boy, but if a task needs done, I will do it."

Helmsplitter gives Avitus a quick wary look before the sharp glare she always wore returned to Nestor. "My steel will be brought to bear against threats to this ship. But you will claim no part of me as your own. Our task is not noble, it is just. It is honorable. Let nobility be the concern of lesser men and worry only about honor."

The giant stopped speaking, but her gaze never left Nestor again, never strayed elsewhere; her focus was absolute. Her tone implied anger, though she spoke calmly and with purpose; hers was a cold rage and though fury was directed towards the city of Troy, the air around her seemed colder.
    Last edited by darklink_shadow; 2016-01-13 at 05:58 PM.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Halfling in the Playground

A strong muscular built man was sit on the board of the ship till now, apparently lost in his thoughts.
    "Oh, gods above, how much does it take? Man, I am tired of puking and making a fool of myself. At least the others here seems up enough for the task.
    Let's hope everything will go well..."

He rises and shakes Nestor's hands, one should expect a very firm shake but indeed it was a not very convinced one and his face is a little pale.
    After holding a little burp, he starts "Hail, Nestor, thank you for letting use your ship in this task: I had been told of her fame and I rejoyced the fame was well put indeed.
    Sorry but it just that, maybe even more than my fellow Laconians, I am not really good at sailing. You will see, once with our feet on land, the things will change.
    I am at your service and, of course, at the service of Lakonia and of the revenge the prince rightly demands."

After a little pause he continues, addressing also the other members of the brand new party:
    "if there is no other help you or your brave sailors need, please let's share what information we have about the rescue. I am ready for anything and especially for a good plan, how can we get inside the city unnoticed? I know Troy to be a rich and well guarded city..."

5. - Top - End - #5
    Bugbear in the Playground

NinjaGuy

Kazzault tried his hardest not to look into the ocean, and to keep his dinner below deck. The poor horse legs were not built for this tumultuous method of travel, and the effect on him could be felt by most.

Once, at mealtime, a sailor had mocked him. "Got four legs and none of them are for the sea." He'll probably taste that steel shield for many moons.

He muttered under his breath:Damn it Oceanus, bring me some peace already, but keep the sails filled so the journey is quick.

When Nestor made a call for loyalty the horse-man instinctively stamped the deck with his mass over his hoofs.

I've seen enough to know where I'm needed and where I'm not Nestor. Be sure that my strength will be added where it is most useful.
    ~NeverSleep~
    STRmod.com

6. - Top - End - #6
    Troll in the Playground

NecromancerGirl

Elias grunts in the affirmative. "Naturally."

7. - Top - End - #7
    Ogre in the Playground

ClericGirl

Nestor holds up his hand in a pacifying gesture.

"I meant no offense, Helmsplitter. It wasn't a command, I've no right to do that. As I said, you're guests on my ship. I merely meant to ask a favor."

He nods to the rest of you assembled.

"I thank you for your cooperation. For now, the plan is to smuggle you lot in. This is a merchant vessel, we have a great many goods to drop off at Troy. There are some empty crates below deck we can use to sneak you into the city. I have a contact who can let you out in his warehouse, then the rest is up to you. I'll be waiting for you at the harbor, unless something goes wrong."

Red Sun Redux: a revised and revamped version that includes the new content released since the first version of the setting.

8. - Top - End - #8

Ajax , looking the centaur and the goliath, cannot force but show in his face signs of doubt.

Nestor, are sure you will be able to hide a centaur and a Goliath? Even if yes, who is this contact of yours? Ehat do you know about the city?

9. - Top - End - #9
    Ogre in the Playground

ClericGirl

"Of course I can! Do you think that the King would have hired someone who can't plan for extenuating circumstances?"

He grins.

"As for my contact, he's another Minoan merchant, goes by the name of Hektor. We've worked together in the past, it's nothing the Trojans will find unusual. As for the city itself, the walls are nearly impenetrable. Some say that the city's protected by Apollon, but I think that's rubbish. Truth is, it's simply very well defended. The harbor isn't even part of the city proper, so it's immune to naval attacks. Right inside the gates is the merchant district, which is as far as I usually go. It's wealthy and crowded, so it would be easy for you all to blend in. Though gods know if they'll be accepting many foreigners with war on the horizon."

10. - Top - End - #10
    Titan in the Playground

The Goliath frowned at the merchant. "You have no offended me, merchant. I do not like this plan. But I suppose storming the gates is foolish. In which crate do you plan to stuff me? Will you be selling a crate filled my fury for profit as well? How much profit is being made transporting us, Nestor?"

Her tone has not improved, if anything it has grown more annoyed.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Ogre in the Playground

ClericGirl

"If you've a better plan, I'd be delighted to hear it. We have time while we travel to put another into action."

Nestor shrugs his broad shoulders.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Ogre in the Playground

Avitus is shocked, until now, he did not realize that one of the great warriors that he has the privilege to sail with is Gor-Thok the Helmsplitter. While having much passion for fighting and hunting game, the young hunter lacked much experience compared to the Lakonian heroine.

Avitus must speak to her while he has the chance, but what will he say?

Currently, he seems rather distracted in picturing an idolized conversation with Helmsplitter.
    If you write gibberish in common, even comprehend languages won't turn it into a sonnet.

My Extended Signature

13. - Top - End - #13
    Titan in the Playground

You clearly misheard me, merchant. I said I did not like the plan. I did not say I had a better one. You were paid well enough to get us inside. I expect you will succeed, or you will be made to pay for your failure. "

14. - Top - End - #14
    Ogre in the Playground

"With great respect, Helmsplitter, and indeed an honor it is to meet you," Avitus let his excited smile slip out for a brief moment.
    "I do not think the captain needs reminder that he too may be payed in death if we get caught on our voyage."
    Last edited by Prince Zahn; 2016-01-19 at 09:45 AM.

My Extended Signature

15. - Top - End - #15
    Titan in the Playground

Helmsplitter's ire, gaze and focus all fell upon Avitus at once like an avalanche.

"Perhaps he does. But perhaps not. It is not as if he will see a real battle."

Helmsplitter scoffs hotly and moves to gaze at the horizon. After a moment, she spoke again, but this time she seemed much less irate. "Avitus, I have not heard your name sung in the tavern halls. I do not know you well. Tell me about yourself. What do you value and what have you done worth knowing? You must have some worth to be called upon to do this honorable thing. Or perhaps you volunteered, hoping for this to be the first of many great deeds?"
    Last edited by darklink_shadow; 2016-01-19 at 11:29 AM.

16. - Top - End - #16
    Ogre in the Playground

Avitus Stands proud, this is his chance to prove his worth to his hero, he must make her proud.
    "I take down big game, Helmsplitter, and capture big predators for their meat and pelts, or to be trained at the colloseum."

I have yet to fight a war, but for Artesia and our Queen, I will prove to you on anywhere - be it on heat of war or remaining unseen from our mark - that I am as fit for war as any soldier in both archery and close quarters fighting. "
    Last edited by Prince Zahn; 2016-01-20 at 01:45 AM.

My Extended Signature

17. - Top - End - #17

While touching his aching stomach, Ajax thinks

"Let's hope half of all this blutering is true, we will need every inch of it"

18. - Top - End - #18
    Titan in the Playground

Helmsplitter stared at Avitus while he spoke, and nodded curtly once after he finished.

"I see. So you think your talent in hunting beasts will translate into war? It will not be so easy. But you will try nevertheless. I have high expectations of you. Do not disappoint those who have faith in you, or prove right those who think you will fail. Bring honor to your house, and the gods will favor you."

19. - Top - End - #19

Ajax puts himself together and asks:

"Well, Nestor, what do you know about this Hector? Why did he welcome to help us , apart from his origins? What do you know of him? does he know the city very well?"

20. - Top - End - #20
    Ogre in the Playground

ClericGirl

biggrin Re: The Walls of Troy (IC)

Nestor simply huffs, and directs his attention to Ajax.

"Hector is an old friend of mine, he's practically family. He's helping us as a favor to me, besides just being loyal to his people and his allies. He's lived in Troy for a few years now, so he knows the city better than I do."

A crash of thunder booms, and the winds pick up. The ship rocks even more as the sea gets choppier, waves crashing against the hull.

Nestor swears, and glances out at the storm.

"Seems like the storm's turned against us, Lads. We're starting to blow off course."

He shouts orders to the crew, who go about following them. One of them shouts at him,

"Captain! There's an island on the horizon! Should we take shelter?"

He shouts back an affirmative.

"Keep your swords and spears ready, Lads. Might be trouble on that island."

The ship turns towards the island, as if guided by the will of the gods.

21. - Top - End - #21

Though he does not like to be into the storm , inwardly Ajax is relieved to see the island.
    He strarts to mutters a little prayer for guidance from Areson and he picks up his trunk, confident, waiting to get ashore.

22. - Top - End - #22
    Bugbear in the Playground

NinjaGuy

The best laid plans of men fall to the will of their superiors.

Kazzault inwardly called upon his patience, giving no sign of distress as the titans willed his vessel toward land.

No matter the challenge this brings, it is ours to face and rise above. On your guards compatriots, tonight we learn more about this side of the sea.
    ~NeverSleep~
    STRmod.com

23. - Top - End - #23
    Ogre in the Playground

Avitus smiles as he wipes the downpour from his eyes.
    "there –right there! On that island, Helmsplitter! we shall begin shed the blood of our enemies to save the Queen. Are you ready for it? Of course you are; great heroes such as yourself are always ready. Are the rest of you ready to face the best and worst? I am". Avitus aids in Manning the ship, but pauses to raise his spear skyward, and wipe his eyes again.

My Extended Signature

24. - Top - End - #24
    Titan in the Playground

Helmsplitter's face was impassive. She grunted at Avitus, and watched the island come into view, as if she was waiting for the island itself to rear up and need her to smite it. "The strings of fate... how many will be cut today? Fear not, sailors, a warrior is here to vanquish this isle."

25. - Top - End - #25
    Ogre in the Playground

ClericGirl

Nestor and the crew bring the ship closer to the island, and after an hour or so of sailing near the coast, and the storm getting worse, they find the best spot to anchor before things got too bad. One of the crew points out what looks like a cave set into a cliff face several hundred meters back from the shoreline.

With the ship secure, the crew and passengers head to shore. Nestor has the crew set up shelter in the cave, and tries to build a fire.

"Damn. Not sure what kind of creatures call this cave home. Do you lot think you could scout ahead, in case there's something truly nasty down in the depths?"

26. - Top - End - #26
    Titan in the Playground

"As always, merchant, the warriors will protect the weak. Splithelm spits derisively. "Have no fear in your heart unless I do not return. If I do not return, make peace with the Gods."

Looking sharply at Avitus, she jerks her head in the direction of the deeper parts of the cavern. Having never heard of the others, and trusting in her spear arm so long as there is someone to watch her back, Splithelm leaves without a word.

27. - Top - End - #27

Ajax is happy enough to have landed.
    He feels corroborated by the sand slipping through his fingers.
    Now he can be ready for action. He takes out his weapon and follow his fellow lakonian Helmsplitter into the depth of the cave. He takes a torch in his left hand and a javelin in his right. Unlike his lakonian comrade, though, he gathers and waits for the other to get into the cave together.

28. - Top - End - #28
    Ogre in the Playground

Avitus grunts and grasps his club, and keeps his bow and arrows handy as well when following Helmsplitter.
    scouting the cave with the great Helmsplitter herself. The gods have blessed me by sending me upon this mission. Avitus smiled as he thought to himself. As he looks about the cave with the others.

Show
    Avitus keeps an eye out for any signs of life within the cave. Is that a check or passive Perception?

My Extended Signature

29. - Top - End - #29
    Troll in the Playground

NecromancerGirl

With so many boisterous personages aboard, it's easy to forget that Elias is even there. Just how he likes it. Elias puts one hand on the hilt of his longsword and steps up next to Avitus.

30. - Top - End - #30
    Titan in the Playground

Show
    I forgot Ajax was from Lakonia. Also, hello Nyarai!

Helmsplitter looked back and frowned. She had intended to leave silently, but Ajax was being foolish. "Ajax, what do you wait for? The sheep will not come, and the wolf follows his pack. Are you a sheep or a wolf? Do not wait for the other wolves, they will come."

Annoyed that she had to remind a wolf how to hunt, she growled and started off again. "At least you know how to hunt, Avitus."