A Monster for Every Season: Summer 2
You can get A Monster for Every Season: Summer 2 now at Gumroad
Page 1 of 41 123456789101126 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Titan in the Playground

Default Guardian Training (IC)

Train Station, Umbria, Frontiera

The five of you have been rushed through the system. At least, you think you were. You were all sent up to the old Tower in Alexandria, sworn in and kitted out in less than a day. The tower was huge, but generally pretty empty feeling. One hundred stories tall and with more empty offices that you could fathom. Only the administrators, some technicians, and the council made their permanent residents there, with the other guardians usually only showing up for a briefing or to archive some valuable artifacts. The windows were tall and the balconies decadent, but they only looked over a ruined city that hasn't seen a civilian in almost a century.

Donning your new spiffy coats, a sign of a Guardian, and holding a folder of files, you were all shipped back south to Frontiera. The difference is pretty shocking. Even this cozy suburb you were assigned too is bustling compared to the Tower. In the distant you can see the wall that keeps the forest at bay. Umbria has developed to survive despite that forest, and as such has a strong hydroponics and technological business sectors.

You are greeted by a tall catfolk. She has hazel eyes and long red hair. Her light almond skin is occasionally scored by a stripe, giving her an appearance similiar to that of a tiger. She's fit, too, and not hard on the eyes. Adorned by this fine specimen, possibly a pinnacle of catfolk ability, is a Guardian's Coat.

"Well, this is certainly interesting. Master never said their would be so many of you,"
    she says. "The codename is Bast, but you guys can just call me Tora. I was trained by Diael, just as you'll be, and now I act as his assistant." She flips her long hair in the most fabulous and impressive way she can while sporting a cocky grin. "Don't let the title 'assistant' fool you. I'm a pretty good Guardian."
    Last edited by Snowbluff; 2016-01-16 at 03:37 PM.
    Avatar of Rudisplork Avatar of PC-dom and Slayer of the Internet. Extended sig
    GitP Regulars as: Vestiges Spells Weapons Races Deities Feats Soulmelds/Veils
    Quote Originally Posted by Darrin View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Snowbluff View Post
    All gaming systems should be terribly flawed and exploitable if you want everyone to be happy with them. This allows for a wide variety of power levels for games for different levels of players.
    I dub this the Snowbluff Axiom.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Colossus in the Playground

Default Re: Guardian Training (IC)

Lea was starting to regret her choice to try out to be a guardian. Donned in her armor already, the fancy coat that served as a uniform was only serving to make her sweating worse.

Fanning her head trying to make the sweating go away, Lea looked over her companions. The Nilphiam.. Her name was Cynthia right. She looked like she could hold herself in a fight. The rest she had assumed were brought in for other skills. She would have to see what they could do later.

Leaving her "uniform" on as loosely as possible, she ran her head through sweaty hair, as the pretty catfolk introduced herself. Quirking one of her silver eyebrows at her assistant comment she chuckled.

Greetings Tora. She said curtsy. It's a pleasure to meet you. I'm Lea.
    Quote Originally Posted by Deme View Post
    One day, we must all have our characters butchered by romhacks face our ends.

Won as Good Mayans on a science victory GMR 4. Won as Sweden on a science victory GMR 7. Won as Desert England on a concession victory GMR 8 Lost as Poland in GMR 3. Lost as Japan in GMR 5, Surrendered as Korea in GMR 10. Surrendered as Bad Maya in GMR 11, Lost as Shoshone in GMR 13.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Firbolg in the Playground

Lobelia was filled to the brim with excitement, this was a day she had been looking forward to for a long time. Now she was a guardian like her big brother. She sized up her team and was astonished to see that it was comprised of mostly women! How did she not notice before?

Slightly flustered, Lobelia pulls out a little notepad from her pocket and begins to scribble a note that reads "Pay attention to your surroundings." She is startled slightly by the catfolk as she begins to talk, but realizes quickly that she is not a threat and that she really should be paying better attention to her surroundings.

"Whoa! A real guardian? Very nice to meet you! I'm Tse- Lobelia. Lobelia Strongarm!"

A sincere grin draws itself on Lobelia's face. She'd met lots of guardians before. All of her brothers friends were guardians like him. But something about meeting a guardian now that she too was a guardian was even more exciting!
    If purple is evil, bold gray is lawful good.

Extended Signature & Homebrew Signature

Check out my Celestial Compendium!

4. - Top - End - #4
    Titan in the Playground

Tora return's Lea's curtsy with a well practiced one of her own. Tora's coat is very tight fitting, obviously set to show off her curves. "It's a pleasure to meet you, Miss Lea," she replies, with a conflicting air of grace compared to her attitude she introduced herself. "It can't be that warm here. A balmy 50, maybe. Is the armor and coat a bit warm, even in this climate?" she asks, noticing Lea's difficultly.

As for Lobelia's verbal slip, she say "Oh, some kind of pseudonym, huh? I wouldn't worry about it. I don't know many Guardians who use their real names." She crosses her arms and stares at Lobelia intently. "So what's a little green thing like you doing in the Guardian's, anyway. The only races that are worse represented are catfolk and elves, and elves don't exist." She giggles are her own jest.
    All gaming systems should be terribly flawed and exploitable if you want everyone to be happy with them. This allows for a wide variety of power levels for games for different levels of players.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Ogre in the Playground

Grinning slightly, Kadic stood up from his lean against the nearest wall. Removing his battered cap in a languid bow to the catfolk woman in front of him, he yawns and says "Name's Kadic. Emeth. Professional ne'er-do-well."

He stands up from his bow as a sort of miniature griffin lands on his shoulder. The creature chirps in his ear for a few moments and Kadic seems to reply to the creature, saying in an exasperated voice "Fiiiiiiiiiine, Snack, you insufferable little carrier pidgeon, you may bother the orc lady. Not my fault if she eats you. Also not my fault if Snack tastes bad... Lobelia, was it?"
    Last edited by IZ42; 2016-01-17 at 01:01 AM.
    Spoiler: Quotes!
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Elricaltovilla View Post
    I always thought understanding Scottish required a fort save vs. Alcohol poisoning.
    Quote Originally Posted by Twelve.five
    Hipsterdin- Smiting Heathens before it was cool.
    Quote Originally Posted by Elricaltovilla
    See, this wouldn't happen if you were a Zweihander Sentinel Warder with Silver Crane. You'd have a 60 ft. fly speed with good maneuverability, DR and glowing pants as early as level 8.

Pink is Neutral Evil, because reasons.

Exalted Monk Avatar by ThePrez1776

6. - Top - End - #6

Tora return's Lea's curtsy with a well practiced one of her own. Tora's coat is very tight fitting, obviously set to show off her curves. "It's a pleasure to meet you, Miss Lea," she replies, with a conflicting air of grace compared to her attitude she introduced herself. "It can't be that warm here. A balmy 50, maybe. Is the armor and coat a bit warm, even in this climate?" she asks, noticing Lea's difficultly.
    Lea chuckles. I'm used to much cooler climates, and currently in three layers. I'll adapt, but it'll take some time. She leans against a nearby wall and the fanning does slow down a little. She flashes a smile towards the catfolk, and her talking starts to speed up.

So how long have you been a guardian? And do they really all use codenames, when do we get code names?

Won as Good Mayans on a science victory GMR 4. Won as Sweden on a science victory GMR 7. Won as Desert England on a concession victory GMR 8 Lost as Poland in GMR 3. Lost as Japan in GMR 5, Surrendered as Korea in GMR 10. Surrendered as Bad Maya in GMR 11, Lost as Shoshone in GMR 13.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Titan in the Playground

"Ah, yes,"
    Tora nods her head knowingly. "It's much hotter where I come from. Getting used to the cold temperatures was a bit of a struggle. The good news is that I wear clothing that's too light for the weather like the best Umbrian!" She gives another self serving laugh. "Anyway, I've been a full fledged Guardian for a couple years now. I got my codename about when I graduated, but I never really use it, so it's a bit hard to remember."

"Tsk,"
    Tora says, noticing Kadic. "Better make yourself into someone who does well. Diael doesn't mess with anything less than the best. A lackadaisical attitude will just land you in trouble. 'Diligence is a virtue,' he says." She frowns slightly.
    Last edited by Snowbluff; 2016-01-17 at 02:08 AM.

8. - Top - End - #8

"Ah, yes,"
    Tora nods her head knowingly. "It's much hotter where I come from. Getting used to the cold temperatures was a bit of a struggle. The good news is that I wear clothing that's too light for the weather like the best Umbrian!" She gives another self serving laugh. "Anyway, I've been a full fledged Guardian for a couple years now. I got my codename about when I graduated, but I never really use it, so it's a bit hard to remember."

"Tsk,"
    Tora says, noticing Kadic. "Better make yourself into someone who does well. Diael doesn't mess with anything less than the best. A lackadaisical attitude will just land you in trouble. 'Diligence is a virtue,' he says." She frowns slightly.
    Lea finally unzips her jacket hastily the zipper catching causing a moment of frustation, the armor obscures some of it. But it's not heavy, it's supposed to offer little restriction of movement. It's clear that Lea has a sizable chest under that jacket. About how long did it take you to adapt, Tora? Lea replies clearly hoping for a shorter timeframe. Please don't let it be years. is the main thought in her head.

And will you be teaching us some things as well, or just Diael? She adds curious.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Titan in the Playground

Tora stares intently as Lea fidgets with her jacket zipper, snapping herself out of it a few seconds later to answer Lea's question. "W-well, let me think... about 7 months, maybe? It was after I went through my first full winter. Winter can get pretty cold and windy around here. Like, 40 below wind chills. It was pretty rough."

She strokes her chin, glancing away. "I-I guess I could teach you a few things. I'm not a fully fledged master like Diael is, but I picked up a bit from my training. The council would probably prefer that he teaches directly, though. It's to better preserve his techniques through apprenticeship. I'm observing so I can learn to succeed him for this stuff." She suddenly stops. "N-not that I'm saying I won't help or anything. It's better to ask a question than getting something screwed up, after all."

10. - Top - End - #10
    Troll in the Playground

"my name is Cynthia, pleasure to meet you Tora"

After introducing herself, Cynthia stays to the side and waits seemingly composed, but using her armor as a barrier to hide her nervousness at meeting a new person and wanting to leave a good impression.

Extended signature (Includes Giantitp regulars as... links, avatar showcase, homebrew, and other stuff.)
    Current avatar by me

11. - Top - End - #11

Lobelia smiles politely at Tora "It's my name! I was originally named Tsegtseg, but now I go by Lobelia. With all the papers I was signing..." she looks down at her feet and blushes "I just got a little mixed up. As for the green thing... I'm an orc! Sorta small for an orc though... the other orcs all used to make fun of me."

Lobelia looks to Kadic "I promise I won't eat your bird! I'm not a mean orc..." She tries her best to look nice, smiling wide. A lot of people thought she was uncivilized before she even opened her mouth, purely because of the color of her skin.
    Last edited by LoyalPaladin; 2016-01-17 at 04:27 AM.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Titan in the Playground

"A pleasure," Tora says, somewhat disappointed with apparent lack of impact she has had on Cynthia.

Looking back at Lobelia, and having to stop for a moment to process what had just transpired, Tora starts with "What? Did you write your name wrong?" Obviously confused, she tries to move the conversation in another direction. "Oh! So you didn't get along with other orcs, huh? That's too bad. I didn't really, ya know what, never mind." Tora awkwardly stops talking.

13. - Top - End - #13

Tora stares intently as Lea fidgets with her jacket zipper, snapping herself out of it a few seconds later to answer Lea's question. "W-well, let me think... about 7 months, maybe? It was after I went through my first full winter. Winter can get pretty cold and windy around here. Like, 40 below wind chills. It was pretty rough."

She strokes her chin, glancing away. "I-I guess I could teach you a few things. I'm not a fully fledged master like Diael is, but I picked up a bit from my training. The council would probably prefer that he teaches directly, though. It's to better preserve his techniques through apprenticeship. I'm observing so I can learn to succeed him for this stuff." She suddenly stops. "N-not that I'm saying I won't help or anything. It's better to ask a question than getting something screwed up, after all."
    Lea chuckles slightly, rolling her eyes more out of amusement then annoyance as Tora ogles, the attractive, buxom, foreign bard was used to attention. She just quirks a silver eyebrow with a smirk as she continues to speak.

Well would his individual techniques be important. I'm sure that there is similarities between each guardian's SOP. But wouldn't each of them have slightly difference preferences? I'm sure I would chafe under some formal wizard's studying, while shine in the learning if our guardian was a bard.

14. - Top - End - #14
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by LoyalPaladin View Post
    Lobelia smiles politely at Tora "It's my name! I was originally named Tsegtseg, but now I go by Lobelia. With all the papers I was signing..." she looks down at her feet and blushes "I just got a little mixed up. As for the green thing... I'm an orc! Sorta small for an orc though... the other orcs all used to make fun of me."

Lobelia looks to Kadic "I promise I won't eat your bird! I'm not a mean orc..." She tries her best to look nice, smiling wide. A lot of people thought she was uncivilized before she even opened her mouth, purely because of the color of her skin.
    Kadic chuckles at the orc's reaction and replies "Never said you were, I was simply making a joke. You look too nice to be eating small fuzzy creatures, even if they deserve it." he said, glaring at Snack, who had now landed on the Orc's neck, and was beginning to headbutt her repeatedly. It also becomes apparent that the young catfolk had a strange accent hidden in his voice, buried under years in another country as well as a proper 'university accent'.
    Last edited by IZ42; 2016-01-17 at 01:53 PM.
    Show
    I always thought understanding Scottish required a fort save vs. Alcohol poisoning.
    See, this wouldn't happen if you were a Zweihander Sentinel Warder with Silver Crane. You'd have a 60 ft. fly speed with good maneuverability, DR and glowing pants as early as level 8.

15. - Top - End - #15
    Titan in the Playground

"I guess. Diael can be real hands on, though. A wizard in the study, but in the field he gets muddy,"
    Tora says, punctuating with another nervous giggle. "I guess I could give a few pointers, though. If we have time, I mean. It can get pretty crazy. I mean, maybe some individual sessions to a-address your needs. Different students learn different ways, right?" She stretches her back by pulling her arms upwards. "Yeah..."

"Oh, and another thing to know is that Diael can be a little short, but he means well. I mean, I was trained one on one, so having so many students at once might be too much, so I bet I can throw a little time in,"
    she continues to babble.

"...Anyway, is that a hint of an accent, Kadric?
    " Tora asks.
    Last edited by Snowbluff; 2016-01-17 at 01:57 PM.

16. - Top - End - #16
    Ogre in the Playground

"I guess. Diael can be real hands on, though. A wizard in the study, but in the field he gets muddy,"
    Tora says, punctuating with another nervous giggle. "I guess I could give a few pointers, though. If we have time, I mean. It can get pretty crazy. I mean, maybe some individual sessions to a-address your needs. Different students learn different ways, right?" She stretches her back by pulling her arms upwards. "Yeah..."

"Oh, and another thing to know is that Diael can be a little short, but he means well. I mean, I was trained one on one, so having so many students at once might be too much, so I bet I can throw a little time in,"
    she continues to babble.

" Tora asks.
    Glancing away from Lobelia for a moment, Kadic replies, "It's Kadic, m'love. Kadric is m'dad's name. Even still, you surprise me, being able to catch an accent as hidden as mine. Care to guess where I'm from?"
    Show

17. - Top - End - #17
    Titan in the Playground

Tora shrugs. "I don't know, Blacklight? I just know enough to know it sounds adopted. Where are you from, little guy?"

18. - Top - End - #18

So many people talking at one time flusters Lobelia slightly. "I wrote it all down correctly! Legally my name is still Tsegtseg, so I've just had to use it a lot the last few days." She moves a little closer to Tora than is socially acceptable, clearly with innocent intent. You can assume she carries a few socially awkward habits. Eyes widening, she says "My brother says that if you start talking about something, you should always finish." She stars with determination into Tora's eyes, adorably. "Otherwise you leave somebody wondering and that's 'just so cruel'!"

She then turns to the bird that his hitting her with it's head, it looks like she just noticed it. "Interrupting is rude, Mr. Snack." She bumps him back with her head and proceeds to make some chirping sounds at him.

19. - Top - End - #19
    Titan in the Playground

"Hrk!" Tora blushes and takes a step back, uncomfortable withe Lobelia's sudden approach. "If you don't go by the name, you could have gotten it changed for the passport, at least. All of my stuff just says Tora." She pushes Lobelia another step away, just in case.

20. - Top - End - #20
    Barbarian in the Playground

"Hello, Tora. You can call me Sonia."
    Sonia managed to give a lazy curtsy before her glance began to drift. She wasn't trying to be rude, but she definitely wasn't trying to be overly polite.

She had been listening for the most part, not caring to take huge part in the conversation as of yet. However, her ears twitched when Lobelia eating a live bird was suggested.
    Last edited by VirusInk; 2016-01-17 at 02:55 PM.
    I'll be out of town for the next couple weeks!

Swing by and take a look at my DeviantArt!

Icon drawn by no one but myself! Full version can be seen here.

21. - Top - End - #21

she continues to babble.

" Tora asks.
    Lea smiles at Tora.

Right I heard about that. Like book learning, motion learning, learning by doing, I'm surprised the academy didn't test for that? Or did they and I just didn't recognize the test? She says taking a swig from her waterskin.

Any idea what I'd be best at, Tora? She asks out of curiosity.

With Sonia speaking, Lea pipes up now. Oh! Should we all exchange numbers to keep in contact? She says pulling out her phone, and starting to fiddle with it, swiftly growing frustrated.

22. - Top - End - #22
    Titan in the Playground

"Sonia, huh? That's a lovely name."
    She notes Sonia's eyes. "Greyhorn, huh? Sunlight bothering you? You'll get along with Diael, that's for sure. Of course, I can always be of help."

"Oh and yes we can totally exchange numbers."
    Tora whips out her phones with gusto. "Lea, you look like you need some help. Learning over phone sounds like it wouldn't be best with you. Maybe we can try some doing, instead. It's how I learn best."
    Last edited by Snowbluff; 2016-01-17 at 03:19 PM.

23. - Top - End - #23

"Oh and yes we can totally exchange numbers."[/COLOR] Tora whips out her phones with gusto. "Lea, you look like you need some help. Learning over phone sounds like it wouldn't be best with you. Maybe we can try some doing, instead It's how I learn best."
    Lea still pounding random keys on the phone in frustration. Nods at Tora's suggestion. Sure, sure. She says impatiently clearly not catching innuendo this time.

Holding out her phone to Tora's face she winces. Can we start on the help, now? She asks clearly feeling like a idiot.

24. - Top - End - #24

Sonia was surprised to have her little issue recognized. "Yes, always." her eyes turned to the floor to allow some rest from the light. "What else can you tell me about Dael? I'm interested." she said preparing her mental notebook.

Holding in a small chuckle, Sonia stole a quick look at Lea struggling with her phone.
    Last edited by VirusInk; 2016-01-17 at 03:21 PM.

25. - Top - End - #25

Lobelia clearly doesn't notice Tora attempting to maintain a normal distance. "My brother had a catfolk girlfriend once, she looked kind of like you... but he said her hair wasn't her natural color and... I'm rambling! Oh no!" Lobelia looks like her heart has been broken by her lack of social aptitude. Taking another step forward she looks into Tora's eyes and croaks a little "I'm sorry teacher. Please don't fail me."

She walks away, dejectedly and sits on a nearby curb. "Talking to normal people is so hard..."

26. - Top - End - #26
    Titan in the Playground

"Here," Tora takes the phone. "Ugh, the default background? Let's fix that first." Tora takes a picture of herself with Lea phone, and a few taps later is now embedded on the screen. "Man, that looks like a good photo. I understand why kids do this. And a bit more..." a few more taps, and Tora adds herself to Lea's contacts.

She looks up at Sonia. "Diael? Well, he's a real bastard if I ever saw one. Really dependable though. Super strong. I'd bet that he'd give Bandriel a good fight, but really they wouldn't fight. Uh, he can be pretty strict, too. He says he likes the 'gravitas' that comes with his position."

Seeing the saddened Lobelia, Tora sweeps her hair with her hand. "Pep up, 'Belia. And yes, these are real. I'm the genuine article. Who's your brother anyway?"
    Last edited by Snowbluff; 2016-01-17 at 03:27 PM.

27. - Top - End - #27
    Ogre in the Playground

Tora shrugs. "I don't know, Blacklight? I just know enough to know it sounds adopted. Where are you from, little guy?"
    Kadic glances over at Snack just in time to see him get headbutted, chuckling at the thing's confusion. He turns back to Tora and replies, "Eastern Isles, miss. My parents decided to ship me off to some human college because I can make things. And Lobelia, I doubt any of us here qualify as any form of normal. I don't think that normal is word that can be used to accurately described the Guardians, to be honest."
    Show

28. - Top - End - #28

"Here," Tora takes the phone. "Ugh, the default background? Let's fix that first." Tora takes a picture of herself with Lea phone, and a few taps later is now embedded on the screen. "Man, that looks like a good photo. I understand why kids do this. And a bit more..." a few more taps, and Tora adds herself to Lea's contacts.
    You're really photogenic! Lea comments enthusiastically. But shouldn't the photo at least include me? Lea adds starting to grin, and gesturing her over.

29. - Top - End - #29

Sonia mentally catalogs the details on Dael and nods in thanks. She decides that the rest would be better to learn from meeting him herself.
    Seating herself by Lobelia while the picture shenanigans take place, Sonia sighs and stretches her bone thin frame."Maybe I'll change my background to a picture of Jeremy..." she thinks to herself aloud.
    Last edited by VirusInk; 2016-01-17 at 03:46 PM.

30. - Top - End - #30
    Troll in the Playground

Cynthia sits down near Lobelia and Sonia on the curb smiling slightly.

"Don't worry too much about, Lobelia. I also do not have a lot of expeirience talking to a lot of people. If you ever want to talk to me don't hesitate."

She gets her phone ready.

Extended signature (Includes Giantitp regulars as... links, avatar showcase, homebrew, and other stuff.)
    Current avatar by me