New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 11 of 50 FirstFirst ... 2345678910111213141516171819202136 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #301
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: A Faerie Affair - IC II: A Pixie in a Bottle

Orianna does as Anna advises and takes a step back, warily glancing about the table and trying to identify whatever Anna is trying to accomplish. She looks up at Anna once she's sure she's standing in someplace that at least looks safe. <Common> "I wanted to apologize for my rudeness at our last meeting and ask what I could do to make it up to you. I see I've walked into something quite extraordinary, however. What exactly is this solvent supposed to do?"

Once Anna finishes trying whatever she's about to try, Orianna raises her voice a little bit. "Donny is worried about you. Asked me to come down and talk to you."
    Thanks to araveugnitsuga for my Pika-tar!
    PTU: Alyssa OOC IC

2. - Top - End - #302
    Titan in the Playground

Spoiler: Astra and Kyu
    Show
    Ioria smiles at you and you wonder if she picked up on your hints about the urgency of your mission. <Sylvan> "So, um, would you like a cup of tea? Or, er, a thimblefull at least?" She offers.

Spoiler: Orianna
    Show
    Anna continues about her work, not looking at you at all. She remarks idly: <Common> "I need to dissolve some of this explosive so that I can turn it into crystals. The powder burns too quickly." She takes the solvent and sets it underneath a long, vertical tube, from which an orange fluid drips rhythmically. Every few drops, she tests the mixture with the glass rod, occasionally transferring it to her mouth to taste. When it stops bubbling, she valves off the drips and sets the solvent to one side. "It's still too angry. I'll have to give it a minute to calm down." She pats it, almost as if it were an animal.

<Common> "What were you saying?"
    Lydia Seaspray by Oneris!

Spoiler: Acclaim
    Show
    Winner of Spellbrew Contest I & Subclass Contest II
    Quote Originally Posted by JNAProductions View Post
    That is the perfect ending. Thread done, Ninja_Prawn won.
    Quote Originally Posted by KorvinStarmast View Post
    We love our ninja prawn.
    Quote Originally Posted by Professor Gnoll View Post
    NinjaPrawn, you are my favourite.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sir cryosin View Post
    Ninja you're like the forum's fairy godmother.
    Quote Originally Posted by ThinkMinty View Post
    This is why you're the best, Ninja Prawn.

A Faerie Affair

Homebrew: Sig

3. - Top - End - #303
    Titan in the Playground

"Uh.. I guess we could! But, uh. Don't think we can stay for too long. We'll need to meet back up with the others soon."

4. - Top - End - #304
    Titan in the Playground

Orianna sighs. "I came to apologize for my rudeness the last time we met. And to see how you were doing before I left. Donny met me at the door and asked me to talk to you about what you're doing down here. He's worried about your well-being."

5. - Top - End - #305
    Titan in the Playground

Spoiler: Astra and Kyu
    Show
    You spend a little while sipping tea and chatting about nothing in particular, before saying your goodbyes and heading off to meet the others.

Opal and Kor are waiting at the north edge of the village, all loaded up and ready to go. Ori is not there yet.

Show
    Anna waves away your concerns. <Common> "Don't worry about that. And tell Donny not to worry as well. I've told him already: this stuff is going to make us rich as kings!"

Show
    We love our ninja prawn.

A Faerie Affair

6. - Top - End - #306
    Bugbear in the Playground

BardGuy

"That tea sure was great right? Maybe we should learn to make it so we can drink while on the road." When Kyu arrived at the party she exclaimed loudly. "Hey! We're back!"

7. - Top - End - #307
    Titan in the Playground

Orianna looks strangely at Anna. <Common> "What, exactly, is this supposed to be?"

After Anna answers, Orianna will try to convince her more seriously. <Common> "Donny is worried about you. You have changed, and he is concerned. I understand the excitement of discovery, of learning you can do things you never thought possible before. But be careful. Don't let your excitement get in the way of people who care about you." She says the last words with some meaning and more emotion than she usually has. <Common> "You have people who care about you. Don't give that up because you discovered something new." Taking a deep sigh, Orianna tries to move closer to Anna. <Common> "I care about you, Anna. I have a terrible way of showing it, but I do. You're incredibly talented and intelligent. Be careful with spending all your time on pursuits like this and pushing away the people who mean the most. Donny doesn't understand why you care about this, and he's worried."

8. - Top - End - #308
    Titan in the Playground

Anna is a little taken aback by this outpouring of emotion. Orianna, please roll a Charisma (Persuasion) check to see just how convincing you were.
    Last edited by Ninja_Prawn; 2016-02-27 at 06:18 AM.

Show
    We love our ninja prawn.

A Faerie Affair

9. - Top - End - #309
    Titan in the Playground

Show
    As to what "this [is] supposed to be," Anna explains: <Common> "Nothing in particular. I'm just experimenting, seeing what works, you know."

Your charm offensive certainly gets her attention and she responds well to the flattery. You can almost hear her think yes, I am incredible, aren't I? With a tired smile, she concedes: <Common> "you're right, I shouldn't lose sight of what's important. I'll talk to Donny," she pauses for a second, searching for the words, "make him understand."

Show
    We love our ninja prawn.

A Faerie Affair

10. - Top - End - #310
    Titan in the Playground

"Hi everyone!" Astra says, arriving wearing the scarf she received. With a bit of concern she asks, "Ori still isn't here?"

"Hmm, well I guess she can take care of herself. Oh, I know. I still haven't done this yet! At the very least, I could determine which items are magical first. Then whatever isn't magic, I won't have to worry about identifying, and maybe we could sell them here?"

11. - Top - End - #311
    Ogre in the Playground

NinjaGuy

Kor is currently napping on the cart, and wakes up as Astra and Kyu arrive. He yawns and flies to meet them.

"Hi! You got everything you needed? I think the magic items are in the cart", Kor says.

12. - Top - End - #312
    Titan in the Playground

"I think so too, but I'll just try and double-check everything. I guess it wouldn't hurt to try to get this out of the way now since Ori isn't here yet."

Astra also splurges a use of Detect Magic to use it instantly. She'll check all the things they found/received, making sure everything is sorted correctly.

Spoiler: ooc
    Show
    can I get a list of what is magic and what isn't?

13. - Top - End - #313
    Titan in the Playground

Spoiler: Astra
    Show
    You arrange the items before you and cast your spell. Colourful auras swirl into your vision...

The helm with the twisting pattern pulses strongly with divination magic.
    The green bobble-hat contains illusion magic.
    The black sword emanates evocation magic.
    The whip does not appear to be magical. You suspect that the gnoll was just using an extremely potent poison; the weapon's many barbs each include a small reservoir for just such a purpose.
    Kyu's 'belt' gives off the distinctive light of abjuration magic, as does the bottle you found her in.

Show
    We love our ninja prawn.

A Faerie Affair

14. - Top - End - #314
    Titan in the Playground

"Well, this is interesting!" Astra says. "Both of those hats we found appear to be magical, believe it or not! Even the green winter hat! The black sword is too... my guess is a standard magic enhancement. Kyu, your 'belt', or.. well, the human-sized ring you wear as a belt also has magic. And this whip.. well, no. It's just really fancy and you can pour poison into it or something. What do you think you'd want to do with the whip? I can't imagine many nice uses for a barbed whip..."

15. - Top - End - #315
    Titan in the Playground

Orianna gives a kind smile. <Common> "I hope he sees things the way you do. And I hope I can see you again someday, if I return."

Assuming there's nothing else pressing here, Orianna will bid Anna farewell and meet up with the rest of the party.

16. - Top - End - #316
    Titan in the Playground

Chapter 1: A Pixie in a Bottle is Worth Two in the Party
    Travel Diary!

11th Tarsakh
    As Astra finishes her magic detection, Orianna arrives, caked in snow just from the short walk between Anna's house and the little stable where your cart is parked. Once you are all together and ready to go, it only takes a minute or so to get out onto the Giant's Plain and out of sight of the village - the heavy snow sharply reduces your visibility.

Opal has little trouble catching rabbits; a human child could have followed those tracks. The tracks also lead to plenty of leafy vegetables that provide a good meal for everyone in the evening. You do not see another living thing all day.

Spoiler: Astra
    Show
    Riding in the shelter of the cart, you use your new Identify ritual to learn more about the magic items you found.

The helm is a Helm of Telepathy (DMG 174), which lets the wearer cast Detect Thoughts, then send telepathic messages to the target or cast Suggestion on them. Suggestion is once per day. It requires attunement and will only fit Opal or Orianna.

The hat is a Hat of Disguise (DMG 173). It lets the wearer cast Disguise Self at-will with a duration of 'until you take the hat off'. It requires attunement and will magically resize itself to fit anyone in the party.

The sword is a Cursed Longsword of Vengeance (DMG 206), which behaves like a Longsword +1, but it requires attunement and is possessed by an evil spirit can influence you in combat. You can drive the spirit out using a Banishment spell.

The 'belt' is a Ring of Warmth (DMG 193). It provides resistance to cold damage, allows you to survive extreme cold weather, requires attunement and can be made to fit any of you, either as a ring, belt, collar (on Kor), or other adornment.

The bottle appears to be a bespoke item that may have been designed specifically for imprisoning pixies. It contains a permanent Antimagic Field, which you know to be an 8th-level spell; there are not that many people in the world capable of making something like this. Now that you have time to study them with the aid of magic, you determine the runes on the side are an incantation for the spell in Undercommon.

Overall, progress is slow. You cover 25 miles.

12th Tarsakh
    The air has warmed up enough to turn the snow into sleet today, though the ground is still frozen and largely covered in snow. Your journey is a grim trudge and any novelty that this plain may have held has now thoroughly worn off. Progress is again slow. In the middle of the afternoon you come across a goatherd with a large flock of goats. The poor lad has been out in the cold for weeks, but he refuses any offer of help, claiming that he can look after himself just fine. He even wings a few rocks at anyone who gets too close, warning you against stealing any of his goats. He's a surprisingly good shot!

You cover 21 miles of miserable, undulating plain. In the night, you see wolves prowling near your camp, but they do not attack.

13th Tarsakh
    It is getting noticeably warmer but no brighter; heavy rain now pounds your heads. Nothing interesting happens.

At least the snow is melting. You manage 28 miles today.

13th Tarsakh
    Clearly the rain falls mainly on the plain in this part of the world. Everything is still quiet; the plains are largely deserted and any animal life out here is keeping well clear of you.

You are up to full speed now: 34 miles.

14th Tarsakh
    It's getting much warmer now, though the rain shows no sign of letting up. You find yourselves packing away your warm clothes during the day.

Through breaks in the cloud, you see flashes of gold. It's probably just the light of the sun (which you haven't seen for days), but Kor swears it's a dragon.

35 miles today.

15th Tarsakh
    Another quiet day, warm and wet. You think you might be most of the way across the plains now. And not a giant in sight!

You make 30 miles, then decide to give yourselves a rest because you spot a really nice campsite.

16th Tarsakh
    Despite the relative comfort of your sheltered site, the night is horribly muggy. You could almost call it hot, though it's the humidity that causes the problems. Either way, as you are packing up your things and preparing to leave, you see a panic-stricken dwarf running towards you. When he sees you, he stops suddenly, his eyes wide. <Common> "Moradin's Beard! You... you're the Spirit o' Rattlesnake Hill!" He then sprints towards you and throws himself at your feet. "Please, I need your help! Me family be in danger!"

Spoiler: Opal
    Show
    You recognise this dwarf. He is one of the miners you scared away from your hill, all those years ago. It seems that he has recognised you as well.
    Last edited by Ninja_Prawn; 2016-09-03 at 09:25 AM.

Show
    We love our ninja prawn.

A Faerie Affair

17. - Top - End - #317
    Titan in the Playground

Astra looks somewhat confused at the dwarf. "What is he doing? Trying to worship us?"

She casts Comprehend Languages.
    Last edited by WindStruck; 2016-02-29 at 10:41 AM.

18. - Top - End - #318
    Ogre in the Playground

NinjaGuy

"Well I've heard people worshipping dragons, but I don't think I'm interested in that much attention. And it sounds like a lot of responsibility", Kor says thoughtfully.

Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    Kor is currently wearing The Hat of Disguise, because it fits him really well. He's also named the mule Dumpling.

19. - Top - End - #319

OldWizardGuy

[QUOTE=Ninja_Prawn;20481448]

16th Tarsakh
    Despite the relative comfort of your sheltered site, the night is horribly muggy. You could almost call it hot, though it's the humidity that causes the problems. Either way, as you are packing up your things and preparing to leave, you see a panic-stricken dwarf running towards you. When he sees you, he stops suddenly, his eyes wide. <Common> "Moradin's Beard! You... you're the Spirit o' Rattlesnake Hill!" He then sprints towards you and throws himself at your feet. "Please, I need your help! Me family be in danger!"

Opal looks concerned yet uncomfortable. She looks to the rest of the party for a feel for how to proceed. <common> "Oh, hi. We might be able to help. But we've already promised to help someone else and we're running late. Um exactly what is your problem." </common>

<Sylvan>"Are we sure we can trust this Dwarf? </Sylvan>

20. - Top - End - #320
    Titan in the Playground

"Oh, help? He needs help? With what?" Astra asks.

"...he seems pretty desperate. Maybe we should, but... I just hope it doesn't take too long. I think Queen Lydia would be furious if this happened again..."

21. - Top - End - #321
    Titan in the Playground

Getting to his feet, he speaks breathlessly: <Common> "there be no time ta explain! A dryad be attacking me home! Come on, it's this way..." He half-turns as if to lead you back in the direction he came from.

Show
    We love our ninja prawn.

A Faerie Affair

22. - Top - End - #322
    Titan in the Playground

"A.. a dryad?? Well, uh, we can help them resolve this peacefully.. I hope..."

23. - Top - End - #323

BardGuy

Kyu pouts. "This is going to set us off track for sure... But we can't exactly leave him stranded can we? Just be on the look out for glass bottles."

24. - Top - End - #324

OldWizardGuy

Opal shrugs and starts to follow. <Sylvan> "Let's go save a dryad" </Sylvan>

25. - Top - End - #325
    Titan in the Playground

The dwarf hurries you onward, and you have no doubts that his fear is genuine. In brief snatches, he explains a bit more about what has been happening:

<Common> "After what happened on yer hill" (he is referring to Opal's hill) "a lot o' the others went an' found other mines in other lands, but I..." he makes some inarticulate gestures, then says "I got ta thinkin'. I figure maybe we shouldnae be spendin' our lives diggin' stuff out the ground."

After scrambling up a small slope, he continues... <Common> "So I got meself a new trade. I be a lumberjack now, an' I'm gonna apprentice me little girl wit' a carpenter."

There aren't all that many trees around - this being a grassy plain whose long dry season prevents large trees from growing - but not far from where you are is a small wood, perhaps only a few acres in size. You think you can make out a little cottage on the edge of it. The dwarf points it out.

<Common> "I came up here a few months ago an' built us a little house. It ain't much, but it's a new life fer me family. Or, at least, I thought it would be..."

Show
    We love our ninja prawn.

A Faerie Affair

26. - Top - End - #326
    Titan in the Playground

"He decided to be a lumberjack here?" Astra asks, with an exasperated sigh.

She looks around. Where is the dryad? Where is his family?
    Last edited by WindStruck; 2016-03-01 at 12:10 PM.

27. - Top - End - #327
    Titan in the Playground

You get closer to the woods and the little cottage. Now you can see that a gaping hole has been torn in one of the walls (next to the door), outside of which an awakened tree stands guard. Inside, you can hear shouting.

<Common> "Where is he, dwarf?" A voice demands, then screams <Sylvan> "TELL ME!"

An equally angry reply comes, <Common> "fer the last time, monster, I dinnae know! Now git outta my house afore I BURN YOU OUT!"
    Last edited by Ninja_Prawn; 2016-03-01 at 02:17 PM.

Show
    We love our ninja prawn.

A Faerie Affair

28. - Top - End - #328
    Titan in the Playground

Astra flies up to the tree. "Hey, hey! Calm down!" she shouts, raising her tiny voice. "We, um.. found this dwarf and are now here to uh... dispense.. mediation?"

"Ugh! I don't know! Just. No one kill each other!"

29. - Top - End - #329
    Ogre in the Playground

NinjaGuy

Kor flutters around nervously. "Um, would you like to come out and explain the situation to us? And maybe relax a bit? Everyone sounds really tense and that doesn't really lead to anything to good".

30. - Top - End - #330
    Titan in the Playground

The tree doesn't respond to Astra, except to bang one of its limbs on the side of the building. Inside, two heads snap towards you: the dryad with an arm twisted into a long, knobbly staff and a dwarf woman armed with an iron pot and a burning brand. The dryad spots the Dwarf, jumps towards him and says <Common> "hah! I knew you'd come back to fin..." but then she hears your pleading voices and stops in the middle of the hole in the wall. You can all see now that she only has the one arm, her left shoulder ending in a raw stump. <Sylvan> "Wait, who are you guys? What are you doing with this murderer?"
    Last edited by Ninja_Prawn; 2016-03-01 at 03:55 PM.

Show
    We love our ninja prawn.

A Faerie Affair