Support the GITP forums on Patreon
Help support GITP's forums (and ongoing server maintenance) via Patreon
Page 1 of 44 123456789101126 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Troll in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

Default Aegis Tristalt Out-of-Character Mk. II

Here is our brand new Out of Character thread. It's still shiny!

Spoiler: The Big 16, again
    Show
    1. What game system are you running (D&D, Call of Cthulu, Palladium, GURPS, etc.), and if applicable what edition (Original, Classic, Revised, 1st, 2nd, 3rd, 5th, 10th, etc.)?

Dungeons and Dragons 3.5, tri-gestalt (tristalt) game.

2. What 'type' or variant of game will it be (i.e. "Shadow Chasers" or "Agents of Psi" for d20 Modern)? What is the setting for the game (eg. historic period, published or homebrewed campaign setting, alternate reality, modern world, etc.)?

Generic-y Medieval Setting, you guys are going to be reincarnated heroes born into a small kingdom, please have a reason why your characters would accept an invitation to the capital to see the King. You can know that you are a reincarnated hero, or not. Most Spellcasters proficient in Divinations could tell you if they investigated, a skilled Diviner or similar could tell simply by being near you.

3. How many Players are you looking for? Will you be taking alternates, and if so, how many?

Two to four dedicated players who can post at least once per day. I don't want to take more than four players, so if I have more than four submissions I will base it on how well I like the character... yes, that's super subjective. Sorry, I don't have better criteria for it.

Providing a full 20 build so I can see where you're going/make plot hooks around the specific characters/incorporate lore related to the characters will help.

Please be dedicating to posting at a rate of approximately once per day. If something comes up, let me know if you can.
    If you haven't posted within a day and it's your turn in combat or the like, I will delay your turn to the end of the round, at which point I will temporarily NPC-ify your character and attempt to use tactics that are sensible for your character/your playstyle. If it's in a non-combat situation, your character will be with the party but not really there, mentally. He'll contribute reasonably if actions are suggested by other members of the party.

4. What's the gaming medium (OOTS, chat, e-mail etc.)?

OOTS

5. What is the characters' starting status (i.e. experience level)?

Starts 6th level. Mid level was requested, and I intend to accelerate XP gain beyond what would be RAW for 3.5.

6. How much gold or other starting funds will the characters begin with?

WBL for level 6, use the PF table, since I don't think the 3.5 one is on the SRD (I don't remember finding it) and the PF one is more anyway.

7. Are there any particular character classes, professions, orders, etc. that you want... or do not want? What are your rules on 'prestige' and/or homebrewed classes?

Party composition isn't all that important to me.
    Prestige classes are allowed in all three trees of the gestalt at the same time. Dual progression PrCs are allowed. Pathfinder and Dreamscarred Press material will be allowed, but it's possible you might have to hold my hand when it comes to some of it; I'm not super well versed with those. Dragon Magazine and Homebrew will be allowed on a case-by-case basis.

For Dragon Magazine, I mostly need to be able to find the text for myself, so presenting me a way to do so will help your cause. If I'm already familiar with it, I'll probably ok it.

8. What races, subraces, species, etc. are allowed for your game? Will you allow homebrewed races or species? 'Prestige' races or species?

All official 3.5 allowed. If you want something from Pathfinder let me know, I'll probably be ok with it.
    RHD and LA take up level slots, they can't be bought off. (ie, Fighter/Ranger/LA +1 might be a level)

Try to make it reasonable, you'll want to be able to pass in a standard fantasy town without having the guards scream "Monster attack!"

Inherited templates can be taken as much as you want for the first six levels, but afterwards, only acquired templates can be gained. If you want specific templates later let me know and we'll try to figure out how to fit in story-wise.

9. By what method should Players generate their attributes/ability scores and Hit Points?
    44 (3.5) point-buy for stats. I don't like rolling.
    HP is full first three levels, after that it's Roll a die half your HD+half your HD. (ie. for a D4, you'd roll 1d2+2, for a d6 1d3+3, d8 is 1d4+4, et cetera)

10. Does your game use alignment? What are your restrictions, if so?
    Alignment not in place for players, ignore alignment requirements on classes, prestige classes, feats, spells, etc.
    They will be in place for monsters for the cases of DR/evil (and the like), smite evil, protection from chaos, and other such effects.
    Any bizarre interactions with this will be dealt with when they arrive.

11. Do you allow multi-classing, or have any particular rules in regards to it?
    Multi-classing XP penalties are stupid. Multi-class your hearts out.

12. Will you be doing all of the die rolling during the course of the game? Will die rolls be altered, or left to the honor system? If players can make die rolls, which ones do they make, how should they make the rolls, and how should they report them?
    Make your rolls on the forum in spoiler tags, please label what the roll is for, and if you think a roll is justified, don't wait for me to call for it, just go ahead and roll it.

13. Are there any homebrewed or optional/variant rules that your Players should know about? If so, list and explain them, or provide relevant links to learn about these new rules.

It's a Tristalt Game.

Fractional BAB/Saves will be in effect. (Unearthed Arcana)

Thirst/Hunger rules/carrying capacity are generally going to be ignored. Unless it's totally unreasonable, assume you're in light load even if you're not. I'll be adjudicating what's "totally unreasonable."

XP will be coming quite a bit faster than it would in a normal game. I'll be adjusting how much additional XP is gained from completing challenges based on how difficult they actually turned out to be, but even if you steamroll it/circumvent it with absolutely no problem, you'll get XP. If the group solves a challenge in a particular creative or cool way, XP will be increased.

For XP components/item crafting, you may multiply the XP by 5 and sacrifice that much GP instead. (If your spell requires 250xp, instead lose 1250gp)

Everybody gets two extra feats at first level as if you had taken two flaws. But the flaws are usually lame and don't have a significant impact on the character anyway, so we're going to skip that part unless you want to put flaws on your character.

We'll be using Pathfinder's feat progression. Yes, prepare to be swimming in feats.

Everybody can take up to two Unearthed Arcana or Pathfinder traits.

Magic-Mart will, generally, be in effect. Candles of Invocation do not exist. You likely will need to get to a town to access the magic-mart. Magic-mart will be done in a kind of Tippy-esque style; Magic item stores will basically have nothing in them, when you ask for a specific item the owner will use his contacts to find a seller across various Planar Metropolises. Only a select few get initiated into the operation of the Magic-Marts.

Everybody will have a Handy Haversack of effectively unlimited extradimensional size. Anything I think you could reasonably stuff into the mouth of a large backpack, you may carry without limits.

You will automatically receive WBL upon level up, simply add the difference between the level you are now and the level before and add it to your funds. You will also likely find loot and magic items throughout the course of the game, this you may sell or do with as the group pleases.

14. Is a character background required? If so, how big? Are you looking for anything in particular (i.e. the backgrounds all ending up with the characters in the same city)?
    Once again, you need a reason why you are/would accept an invitation to go to meet the king of your home kingdom, you may know or not know that you are reincarnated heroes. A few lines is enough, if you want to add more, add more. If you want to add items into the setting, feel free to do so as long as it's sensible (nothing like Space, the final frontier, these are the voyages of the starship... that doesn't fit).

Make sure your characters have motivations that make sense for getting into adventuring. At least one is mandatory.

15. Does your game involve a lot of hack & slash, puzzle solving, roleplaying, or a combination of the above?
    Largely hack-n-slash, with elements of other playstyles, social intrigue and exploration/discovery being important secondary factors.

16. Are your Players restricted to particular rulebooks and supplements, or will you be allowing access to non-standard material? What sources can Players use for their characters?
    Again, all 3.5 material is allowed. Pathfinder and Dreamscarred Press will be allowed, but inform me of their use so I can try to learn a bit about it, and I may need you to explain things. Dragon Mag is generally available as long as it's not super borked, and I can find the material. Homebrew is available on a case-by-case basis.

Various Notes:
    On characters: I'm more interested in interesting characters (especially if their mechanics interact in interesting/cool ways) than powerful ones. I reserve the right to ask you to play something else if I don't think I will be able to challenge your character or provide meaningful interaction with the game world.

On my style: when I present an obstacle, I do not predetermine solutions for overcoming that obstacle. The more creative/effective you are in coming up with solutions, the better! But it also means there may be obstacles that are simply too challenging. Use your discretion on what you want to try to tackle.

On PvP: Unless both players agree, don't do it. Try to cooperate!

Spoiler: Table of Character Submissions
    Show
    Player Character
    Mousedigits Trasil
    NecroticPlague Arknid Sanshrew
    Ishcumbeebeeda "Hresh"
    TempestFury Kenpachi
    Mechagaston Millyardo
    Bluydee Hercules
    Silver Night Kasha
    whoiam Renia and Wizard spells
    Doxkid Matthew
    Flinn_Furious Nathaniel
    General Patton Sahael
    Yas392 Xiao
    Drako_Beoulve Enzo
    Quote Originally Posted by Thatwarforged View Post
    You sir are a True Pirate Lord.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Troll in the Playground

NinjaGirl

Default Re: Aegis Tristalt Out-of-Character Mk. II

Okay, so plan is to teleport to the region of the capital to find the indestructible rock, right? Are we going to have the artifact bond with Sahael, or wait until we get a second one to see if that gives us more of a clue who they would best be assigned to?

3. - Top - End - #3
    Ogre in the Playground

The only reason I'm suggesting the minor excursion before we move on is that we're all about 2k xp from leveling and that does open up some better options for crafting. Bend Reality = Power Preservation. In-character, an argument could be made for trying to use up leftover power since we'll be resting before we go under the capital anyways.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Troll in the Playground

NinjaGirl

I'm happy either way (though likely I need a side trip to fully get the benefits of that potential level up, since the ole Lich-O-Matic is out in the desert), but Kasha is more mission oriented. OOC I'm happy with whichever option!

5. - Top - End - #5
    Ogre in the Playground

I doubt the Magic Mart can quickly upgrade items, unless they're using an extreme fast-time plane. Might as well wait until we Teleport.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Troll in the Playground

NinjaGirl

Well, to avoid being even more cheesy, I've been sticking to Wondrous Items so far. Plus, they might be, they obviously have access to many different planes. :P

Also, Mousedigits, have you seen the Ring of Mystic Lightning? Adds some damage to any electricity spell, seems like it might be up your alley.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Ogre in the Playground

What time of day is it currently?

Edit: We should probably get an attunement speed booster for Trasil, and then add Sustenance to one of his rings, and make a Heward's Fortifying Bedroll for Kasha (description says rest, not sleep). Got to make good use of every hour.
    Last edited by General Patton; 2016-01-19 at 01:01 AM.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Troll in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

If you're looking for the bedroll to recover spells, it doesn't actually overcome the necessity to wait eight hours/until the correct time of day for clerics to recover the spell slots. If it's just to shorten down time, then it certainly does that.

By now it's dusk. It's been months since this day began IC.
    Last edited by Aegis013; 2016-01-19 at 08:21 PM.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Troll in the Playground

NinjaGirl

Although to be fair, we got a lot done. :P

10. - Top - End - #10
    Troll in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

No kidding. It was an eventful day even by adventurer standards.
    Last edited by Aegis013; 2016-01-21 at 07:53 PM.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Ettin in the Playground

Planetar

So... I'd spent bits and pieces of the last couple of days reading through the fine print for a bunch of W6 spells, trying to decide which ones Renia's going to use her new super-scribing ability to add to her spellbook.

Then my computer decided it absolutely *had* to install updates, and now the list's gone :(

12. - Top - End - #12
    Troll in the Playground

NinjaGirl

That's pretty much why I switched to almost all google docs.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Troll in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by whoiam View Post
    So... I'd spent bits and pieces of the last couple of days reading through the fine print for a bunch of W6 spells, trying to decide which ones Renia's going to use her new super-scribing ability to add to her spellbook.

Then my computer decided it absolutely *had* to install updates, and now the list's gone :(

Windows 10, I'm guessing?

14. - Top - End - #14
    Ettin in the Playground

Planetar

Yeah. Though I do recall Win8 doing much the same thing...

15. - Top - End - #15
    Troll in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

Sorry you lost that work, I know how frustrating that can be. If you want it, I may have a solution to prevent that from happening in the future.

The updates that automatically override everything you're doing were a "feature" of the newer (8 and 10) Microsoft OS's. If you go to Settings -> Network and Internet -> Advanced Options, there should be an option to "Set as metered connection", which will prevent the updates. You'd have to set that up for each network you connect to, since that tells the system you're on a set up like data on a smart phone, where using over certain amounts will cause charges/issues. If new updates come up, it should just give you a pop up saying updates are available and will be installed next time you connect to WiFi, or give you an option to go ahead and download.

16. - Top - End - #16
    Ettin in the Playground

Planetar

Considering the amount of time I put into lecturing other people to upgrade in a timely fashion, it would be a touch hypocritical of me to turn my own updates off...

I do actually prefer keeping systems up to date wherever practical. I just... occasionally forget that I ticked the 'sure, you can reboot overnight while I'm asleep' box when putting my PC into standby for the evening. Then come back in the morning to find that notepad window I'd left open just isn't there anymore... :(

17. - Top - End - #17
    Troll in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

I use a slightly different approach. I've been on Windows 7, a now rather dated system, for a long time, without using anti-virus software (and virus free, to boot - terrible pun intended). I simply use an add on to turn off all Java applications unless I decide to turn them on. Java and direct downloads are the most common ways for malware to get onto your machine, so only allowing Java to run on sites I trust has been a surprisingly effective defense.

18. - Top - End - #18
    Ettin in the Playground

Planetar

To be honest, it's not so much that I have virus worries (I haven't been infected for a long time either, and honestly, I'm more worried about my ad-blocker-less phone than my PC in that regard... although it is one of the reasons why I recommend regular patching for the family members who don't work in IT) but that I have personal (I love shiny new features!) and professional (knowing what's coming before the Systems people roll it out is something of a help. Getting to decide what we upgrade to when there's choices available is a much bigger advantage, though...) reasons to be an early adopter (in OSs and various bits of programming and system related software). Plus, y'know. Shiny!

Besides, blanking and restoring my PC from image is something in the region of 2 hours' work (it'd be shorter, but there's always something that needs to be re-downloaded. Usually from Steam...), and by 'work', I mean 'something I can keep an eye on while watching a movie on my laptop/PC (delete the one being restored)'.

19. - Top - End - #19
    Troll in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

I worked a stint in tech support, but it sounds like you know what you're doing, perhaps even more than I do. I tend not to be an early adopter, myself, preferring to wait until something is tried and true before departing with my hard earned money.

In random other thoughts, I do hope everyone is enjoying the game. I know the unknowns about the artifact are causing some paralysis by analysis, but I hope that's still enjoyable.

20. - Top - End - #20
    Troll in the Playground

NinjaGirl

Just up to us to make a decision!

I say we just have Sahael attune to it. Worst case scenario it *might* have been more optimal for someone else, but we've got potentially 7 more we can get, so I'm sure that there will be something reasonable for everyone. Plus, it sounds like some of the secondary effects might be sort of tailored depending on who it is attuning to.

21. - Top - End - #21
    Ettin in the Playground

Planetar

*jealous glare*

...fine.

22. - Top - End - #22
    Ogre in the Playground

All right, then. I guess it's settled.
    Extended Signature

Spoiler: Current Characters
    Show

Trasil, Magus 15//Fighter 12/Ab. Champ 3//Spellsword 10/Factotum 4/LA (Kreshen) 1, Game: Aegis Tristalt
    Potentia Abilities: Sword (Sahael), Clock (Renia)
    Current Buffs Spreadsheet
    Other Abilities: Manifest Body, Teleport abilities

Soulsteel, Aegis 10//Soulknife 10//Mythic (Mutant) 10//Vigilante (Exposed Vigilante) 10, Game: London Extranatural Guild

Tara, Spellthief 2, a noncaster in disguise! Game: Academy Living

23. - Top - End - #23
    Troll in the Playground

NinjaGirl

Unless Kasha can do, like, a straight up Wisdom roll and get a pretty good impression of who the artifact would match with. Or if it wouldn't match with Sahael. She is, after all, much wiser than I am.

24. - Top - End - #24
    Troll in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

It usually doesn't hurt to try something outside of the box. In this case, it certainly won't, if you do want to try that wisdom roll, or anything else really.

25. - Top - End - #25
    Troll in the Playground

NinjaGirl

I threw myself on the mercy of the dice gods and they were cruel!

Edit: Worth a shot though.
    Last edited by Silver Night; 2016-01-24 at 07:04 PM.

26. - Top - End - #26
    Ogre in the Playground

The dice hate me. And this is why Sahael's self-destructive quest for more intellect will never end.

27. - Top - End - #27
    Troll in the Playground

NinjaGirl

Quote Originally Posted by General Patton View Post
    The dice hate me. And this is why Sahael's self-destructive quest for more intellect will never end.
    We can be self-destructive quest for knowledge buddies! Of course, the key thing is becoming a Lich, so that way when you self destruct it just puts you a week or two behind schedule!

28. - Top - End - #28
    Ogre in the Playground

Woo! SDQK Buddies! Though I don't think immortality and/or reforming from death does anything to relieve stress/overexertion or the sanity loss caused by such. Though I guess that's what Heart's Ease is for. Darn magic, trivializing complex character traits.

Btw, Sahael in a rare feat of ignorance has not connected the dots and realized you're shooting for something like lichdom. He won't try to deprive you of that choice when he figures it out, he'll just lament it to an unimaginable extent. If I understand the fluff correctly, you'll be trapping yourself in a possibly conscious tormented state and replacing yourself with a slightly more prone-to-evil negative energy copy.

29. - Top - End - #29
    Ettin in the Playground

Planetar

Renia hasn't, either (there've been more important things on her mind than second-guessing Kasha's plans), but she'll put the Radiant Servant's usual hatred of the undead aside on the basis that adding a Lich to the world is far, far better than letting it get destroyed outright.

Just, y'know, don't expect her to help with the transformation, 'cause she won't.

30. - Top - End - #30
    Troll in the Playground

NinjaGirl

Well, the ironic thing is that Kasha is immortal anyway, so she isn't even doing it for the immortality :P

Also, it occurs to me, have our characters even discussed what they are and their goals much? I know Sahael did with Mento and all, but I'm drawing a blank on Renia and Trasil doing it, and I'm fairly sure Kasha hasn't gone into any detail.

Edit: It might be extra offensive to renia, too, since Kasha is going from Good Outsider to Lich. Edit2: A little friendly party tension can be fun though.
    Last edited by Silver Night; 2016-01-24 at 08:46 PM.