Support the GITP forums on Patreon
Help support GITP's forums (and ongoing server maintenance) via Patreon
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Barbarian in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Default Gestalted Gladiators IC

The dull roar of the crowd quieted as the group in front of you was led out, their weapons gleaming, and the sandy ground shifting slightly before bearing the weight of 8 contestants. Only 4 could come back, and that was if one side was decidedly better. The gate shut as the last figure passed beneath it and into the arena beyond, the guards roughly jammed the butts of their weapons against your back indicating that you needed to move forward. A blubbery dwarf stood just to side of the gates, his sausage like hands held a leather book and quill. He glanced at each of you then ran his finger down a page in the book, "Well any bets t'day you scum?" His thick drawling accent was one associated with rich nobility turned poverty, "Remember, max of 3000 gold pieces." He smelt of corpses and coins, the smell of iron from blood mixed with the silver and gold of coin.

The crowd outside was cheering, it sounded as though the match would be over soon, and theirs would next, it would be their first fight on a second day, all previous engagements had been less "worthy" and as such merited the trivial first day combat. They still didn't have any kind of fame or reputation, hell, they'd were barely a team, 4 members who had been thrown together and told to fight and die with each other, but they'd worked well the last 4 months, fighting fighting once each month. The noise from the arena suddenly climbed, the pudgy dwarf called out "Last Chance! Place your bets."
    Last edited by Silverphantasm; 2016-01-20 at 12:00 AM.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Gestalted Gladiators IC

Stone Shines Brightly
    The half-dragon goliath walks up the dwarf. "I'll bet 1500 gold that we win. If I can get 2:1 odds, I'll instead bet that 1500gp on me successfully grappling with one of the enemy team."

3. - Top - End - #3

RedWizardGuy

The dwarf looks up at the hulking scaled figure, his jowls wobbling as he reclines his head, "Sorry, no special bets t'day, only win or lose, but 1500 on your side to be victorious, K' next!"

4. - Top - End - #4
    Bugbear in the Playground

Isaac nods at the dwarf and gives him a warm smile, ignoring his brusque manner.

"Good afternoon, Urist. My usual bet. Thirty's all I've got today."

He's never bet on anything but his own team's victory.

"Does anyone have anything new this time around, or is it the same plan as usual- don't get separated and do what you can to make opportunities happen for everyone else?"

5. - Top - End - #5

RedWizardGuy

The dwarf gave a loud "Hmrph", as he marked Issac's bet down, "It'll be a decent challenge for you lot today, yur movin' up a slot. Maybe iffen yur lucky an' win you'll get to move to a better housing space!" The dwarf guffawed as he looked as the rest of the party, "Like you lot'll stand a chance, I know fur a fact that you ain't facing no elf siblings, you're either facing the the Ox Knight or whatever critter is in that there cage." Pointing with a pudgy sausage sized finger at a metal cage with sheets of stone blocking most of the bars. A faint line of black smoke rose from a small whole in the side. The crate was large enough for a horse to stand in and the sheer noise of emanating from it seemed to much for 1 creature.

Spoiler: Possible Skill Checks
    Show
    Applicable Skill checks
    Intimidate or Diplomacy on the "Bookie, Urist"
    OR
    Listen and Knowledge Arcana
    Make your rolls and I'll post what they earned you in the OOC.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Titan in the Playground

Stone Shines Brightly

"The Ox Knight blows smoke? Or are you just blowing smoke at us talking like that? What is it, really?" The Goliath looms menacingly over the dwarf.

Spoiler
    Show

Intimidate (1d20+9)[26]
    Listen (1d20)[16]
    Last edited by J-H; 2016-01-20 at 03:38 PM.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Banned

"I'm only betting a thousand today I'm afraid. Maybe more next time". Akara smiled, but she didn't fancy her chances against... whatever that thing was.

What was that thing, come to think of it?

Spoiler: Rolls
    Show
    K (Arc) untrained: (1d20)[12]
    Listen: (1d20+12)[16]

8. - Top - End - #8
    Ettin in the Playground

PirateCaptain

Ryuuhei casually tossed a small bag at the dwarf, his lips dancing to the melody of despair and elation. "That's a hundred or so yellow shinies last I checked. Pretty easy to gamble when it's not you trying not to end up as a corpse, innit?"

Spoiler
    Show
    Intimidate: (1d20+14)[19]
    Listen: (1d20-5)[5]
    Quote Originally Posted by MERC_1 View Post
    I find it very amusing that a very theoretical discussion of how to Optimize Bardic Music, turns into a discussion on how much worms you can eat in 7 minutes.
    Extended Signature

9. - Top - End - #9

RedWizardGuy

Spoiler: Resist Intimidate
    Show
    Intimidate resistance Check
    (1d20+5)[6]

Edit

Marking down the bets Urist didn't even ask how Ryuuhei had gotten physical coin, as he quailed under the Goliath's gaze. "wh-wh-what da ye know bout the Ox Knight? I've seen 'im, he's as big as you are, and he uses weapons larger than any man or dwarf could wield properly, he barely fits on 'is horse." He shudders "I wuldn't want ta be in the way of 'is lance when he charges at ya, but still you'd stand a better chance at fightin him, than you would that Chimera... Oh dammit. That beast isn't a normal monster it bigger and meaner lookin that any other chimera I've seen."

As the gnome was finished speaking a horn blew, signalling the end of the current fight, "Alright you lot move into the next room." The gladiators were walked into the next room and the gate sealed behind them, the chains on their feet were removed and some body slaves handed them their weapons. The heavy timber gate leading to the arena was slowly raised and as the group walked out into the arena, the orator's voice boomed out, "Citizens behold, the dregs of the pits and scum of the alleys, these combatants have proved they're worth against traitors and slaves, but today they have the chance to earn a true home in the arena. But, they will not earn this prize so easily, they must defeat..... THE OX KNIGHT!" The crowd bellows its approval, small clouds of dust rise from the stadium seats as the beating of their feet disturbs the ground. Across from the gate they had entered from another timbered wall rose and out from the tunnel galloped an immense gray stallion, astride its back a man as large Stone, in his left hand a lance nearly the size of a battering ram, and in his left a shield that was nearly as large as a tower shield, on it a red Ox with a collar of snapped black chains, atop the mans head was a helmet forged and shaped into the visage of an ox, with a set of pale white horns that had been taken from a creature it portrayed. The rider stopped 80' in front of the combatants and turns his visored head towards the pavilion.

Seated upon the viewing structure, nearly 200' feat above, on top of a tower of marble, sat Emperor Yugavlin, his expression betraying not a hint of emotion, the emperor raised his hand, then let it drop with a quick downward thrust. "Begin" called the Orator.

Spoiler: Instructions and Map
    Show
    Roll Initiative
    Pick a Single Letter you want to portray you character as, and indicate which number 1,2,3 or 4 you'd like as your starting position.

A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P
    2 X X
    3 X X
    19 1 2 3 4
    Last edited by Silverphantasm; 2016-01-21 at 10:38 AM.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Titan in the Playground

Stone Shines Brightly

Spoiler
    Show

Init (1d20+2)[14]

Letter S
    I'll take space 2.
    Last edited by J-H; 2016-01-21 at 12:38 PM.

11. - Top - End - #11

Isaac actually relaxes when he sees the enormous rider atop his equally titanic stallion.

"Oh, good. A straightforward opponent. Stay behind me: I'll receive the charge and break it, perhaps even unhorse him if I'm lucky. Then we can swarm him."

Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    I choose the letter I and the number 3.

Initiative: 17 (see OOC thread)
    Current weapon held: Guisarme
    Current stance: Giant Killing Style
    Dodge target: Ox-Knight
    Maneuvers readied: Zephyr Dance, Devastating Throw, Flashing Sun, Counter Charge, Feigned Opening

12. - Top - End - #12
    Ettin in the Playground

PirateCaptain

"Lead on, general!

Not gonna refuse an offer to be my meat shield
    ", Ryuuhei slips out at the end.

Spoiler
    Show
    Initiative:(d20+11)[29]

Maneuvers Granted: (d5)[2](d4)[3](number shifts up)
    C-1, V-2, L-3, S-4, D-5
    I find it very amusing that a very theoretical discussion of how to Optimize Bardic Music, turns into a discussion on how much worms you can eat in 7 minutes.
    Extended Signature

13. - Top - End - #13
    Banned

Akara walked into her place with her bow at the ready...

Spoiler
    Show
    Initiative: (1d20+13)[33]

1 and A

14. - Top - End - #14

RedWizardGuy

The knight didn't seem to comprehend that the match had begun, he stayed staring at the Emperor....

Show

Player Roll
    Akara 33
    Ryuuhei 29
    Issac 17
    Stones 14
    Knight 3

2 X X
    3 X X
    19 A S I R

15. - Top - End - #15
    Banned

Akara grinned, and quickly fired off three arrows straight at the ox knight.

Show
    (1d20+11)[20] (1d20+11)[26] (Sorry! I'm at -5 on this one! (1d20+11)[24] It should be a 19!) to hit against FFAC
    (1d20+11)[26] (1d20+11)[22] (1d20+11)[22] to confirm (No threats)
    (1d8+5)[8] (1d8+5)[7] (1d8+5)[11] to damage
    (6d6)[21] (6d6)[24] (6d6)[16] to sneak attack.

Assuming that not even she can fell the ox knight in one volley, she takes a five foot step straight back.
    Last edited by Jormengand; 2016-01-25 at 04:26 PM.

16. - Top - End - #16
    Ettin in the Playground

PirateCaptain

Ryuuhei waits for the right time to strike and for Isaac to get himself into position.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Delay
    Extended Signature

17. - Top - End - #17
    Titan in the Playground

Stone Shines Brightly
    Beating his wings, Stone Shines Brightly takes advantage of the Ox Knight's lack of attention to rush him, taking to the air as he approaches. The Knight stabs at him with his lance, but the goliath's attack drives home, punching a hole in the knight's armor.

Using his bloodied blade as leverage, Stone swings around, landing heavily on the horse as he wrestles with the ox knight and slashes again, but his opponent breaks free.

Spoiler
    Show

Note: Everyone else goes before me.

I have a fly speed of 60'/good. Somewhere in the 80' of distance, Stone will go 5' up so that he's at the Ox Knight's height.

Using Emerald Razor to make my attack a touch attack.
    +2ab (charge)
    AC is 18 (22 -2 charge -2 Punishing Stance). Attacker has not done anything indicating the lance is Readied.
    Attack (1d20+21)[34]
    Damage (2d6+12)[20] plus (1d6)[5] from Punishing Stance
    Crits (1d20+21)[29] damage (2d6+12)[20] plus (1d6)[4]

Using Scorpion's Grasp, if I hit, I can initiate the grapple as a free action with no AOO.
    Grapple check (1d20+26)[35]
    If I succeed and am grappling, I would normally do damage as an Unarmed Strike (Step 3 of Grapple rules on SRD). However, Scorpion's Grasp lets me use my one-handed weapon in the grapple with no penalty, so damage would be (2d6+12)[20] plus (1d6)[3] from Punishing Stance.

Poor horse. He just had over 300# of half-dragon goliath fly over his head and land on his back.
    Last edited by J-H; 2016-01-26 at 10:07 AM.

18. - Top - End - #18

Isaac raises his long poleaxe in a defensive posture and advances steadily forward, glaring at the Ox-Knight as if daring him to test his might.

Show
    Initiative: 17

Current weapon held: Guisarme
    Current stance: Giant Killing Style
    Dodge target: Ox-Knight
    Maneuvers readied: Zephyr Dance, Devastating Throw, Flashing Sun, Counter Charge, Feigned Opening

Swift action: Activate Vest of Defense.
    Move action: Move 30' north, to I13.
    Nonaction: Activate Karmic Strike.
    Standard action: Ready an action to trip the Ox-Knight once he comes within reach of my guisarme. (Successfully doing so will also pull him off of his horse.)

The readied attack is lowered by 5 to add points to my AC with Combat Expertise. Combat Expertise adds 5 to AC on its own. The Cautious trait adds 1 to the Combat Expertise bonus. The Vest of Defense adds 2 to the Combat Expertise bonus. I invoke my War Domain affiliation to double the benefit Combat Expertise provides, for a total of +16 to AC.

I also fight defensively for another -4 to the attack and +2 to AC.

The trip attempt: (1d20-1)[17] melee touch, trip check (1d20+12)[15].

My current AC vs. the knight is 24 + 1 Dodge +16 Combat Expertise +2 fighting defensively -4 Karmic Strike = 39.

If the trip attempt fails, and the knight is charging me rather than trying to charge someone behind me or simply moving near me, I use Counter Charge as an immediate action. The knight must then make an opposed Dexterity check vs. (1d20+7)[18] or lose his charge attempt and be forced back by 2 squares. If he wins, he gets a further +2 to his attack roll.

With Defensive Throw, a miss will generate a throw AoO which I'll use to try to trip him if I've failed with my readied trip. (1d20+3)[6] melee touch, trip check (1d20+12)[30] With Riposte, a miss will generate an all-purpose readied action that I'll make *another* trip attempt with if the previous two trip attempts have failed: (1d20+3)[16] melee touch, trip check (1d20+12)[15], and make an attempt to deal nonlethal damage to the prone foe if I haven't: (1d20+3)[11] melee, (2d4+6)[11] nonlethal slashing. (The +4 for a prone opponent counterbalances the -4 for doing subdual with a non-subdual weapon.) With Karmic Strike, a hit will generate an AoO that I'll try to trip/damage him with, with rolls as per Riposte above.

All of the above AoO rolls benefit from a +4 to the attack roll from Deft Opportunist, already factored in.

Due to Giant Killing Style, all the above attack rolls are at +2 if the Ox-Knight is a Large creature, rather than a Medium creature riding a Large horse. The damage rolls are at +4. These bonuses are not already factored in.

When Stone Shines Brightly charges recklessly in, he frowns in frustration: had the goliath misheard, or was he just never planning on following Isaac's lead in the first place?
    Last edited by Toptomcat; 2016-01-25 at 07:19 PM.

19. - Top - End - #19

RedWizardGuy

The Ox-Knight jerked to attention as two arrows clattered off his armor and a third wedged itself in his leg. He turned his gaze towards the fighters, just as the massive winged figure charged him, reacting with speed deceptive of his size, he managed a quick thrust with his lance and managed to land a blow. Letting out a bellow pain as the attack hit him, and the holder tried to restrain him, he windmilled his arms and managed to knock him away. Clicking his teeth and nudging the horse with his heels, he cantered sideways and turned to face the figure, stabbing forward twice in quick succession, his lance already coated in blood.

AoO vs charging opponent: (1d20+19)[24]
    Opposed Grapple Check:(1d20+19)[36]

Spoiler: Comment
    Show
    I messed up and forgot damage, and then didn't expect to win the grapple, so I'm going to make a second post with damage and other attack rolls in 15 or so.
    Last edited by Silverphantasm; 2016-01-26 at 12:17 PM. Reason: Narration: Missed the Arrows post nothing mechanically changes, only narration

20. - Top - End - #20

RedWizardGuy

Spoiler: Rolls for previous post
    Show
    AoO damage from last turn: (2d6+12)[19]

FRA vs Stones
    Attacks
    (1d20+19)[33]
    (1d20+14)[25]

Damage if applicable
    (2d6+12)[19]
    (2d6+12)[21]

Crit Checks (Only if Attacks had a 20)
    (1d20+19)[25]
    (1d20+14)[15]

21. - Top - End - #21
    Titan in the Playground

Stone Shines Brightly
    Still in mid-air, the first attack catches the goliath, but he is able to knock the second one to the side with a parry.
    Spoiler
    Show

Wall of Blades vs second attack(1d20+19)[27]

=>Everyone else goes, then I'm going to full attack and grapple again, if he's still standing
    Last edited by J-H; 2016-01-26 at 10:58 AM.

22. - Top - End - #22

Stone Shines Brightly's attack may not have fit the plan- but distracted as the Ox-Knight was by the aerial assault, it made for an opening Isaac could exploit. As the rider bellows in pain, Isaac charges forward, plants the butt of his poleaxe in the dirt, and comes up in a dramatic pole-vaulting flying kick seemingly aimed at knocking the knight off his horse.

Show
    Move action: Move 30' north.
    Swift action: Activate Vest of Defense (1/3 charges remaining)
    Standard action: activate Devastating Throw maneuver, moving the remainder of the distance between me and the Ox-Knight and making an unarmed trip attempt. Combat Expertising for 3 off the attack roll and activating War domain affiliation for a net +12 to AC, per the modifiers already specified. I shouldn't eat an AoO for my movement unless the Ox-Knight has Combat Reflexes: my AC for such an attack would be 21. If I do eat an AoO and another 4 points of AC would make a difference, I use Zephyr Dance to raise my AC to 25.
    Attack: (1d20+9)[29] melee touch.
    Trip check: (1d20+16)[30]
    If the trip succeeds, the Ox-Knight moves to a location 10 feet south of Isaac + 5 feet per 5 points that he loses the Strength check, ending prone at that location and taking (2d6+3)[9] nonlethal bludgeoning damage. This movement provokes an AOO from Stones.

The attack sails past the knight's head, seeming to whiff cleanly- but Isaac takes hold of his helmet's chin strap with his toes and twists in midair to haul the man out of the saddle in an improbable display of flexibility and balance.
    Last edited by Toptomcat; 2016-01-26 at 04:27 PM.

23. - Top - End - #23

RedWizardGuy

The Ox-Knight was focused on the battle now and he saw Issac coming, he brought his lance around and managed a stab at him, the Ox Knight's attention was beginning to return to Stones when he saw the flying kick was going to miss, then grunted in surprise as the figures feet latched onto his helmet and he began being lifted from his horse.

Spoiler: Rolls and Results
    Show
    AoO vs Opponent: (1d20+19)[31]
    Damage if Applicable:(2d6+12)[23]

Ride Check to avoid being tripped: (1d20+23)[34]

Trip attempt vs Issac (if applicable): (1d20+11)[24]

His horse lifted onto its back legs as the Ox Knight was pulled backwards, but the Knight clamped his legs inwards on the saddle and his a powerful twist of his neck spun Issac away. He bellowed in frustration being unable to charge either of his opponents.

Spoiler: Comments
    Show
    Barring actions from other players Issac's trip fails, and he has an opposed trip to check against, if he(Issac) wins land in a square adjacent(choice) to the knight(or give me the coordinates), if he(Issac) loses the check land on his between Stones and the Ox Knight. Toptomcat and J-H wait until 4-5 pm or until Akara and Ryuuhei's users have a chance to post before reposting IC.
    Visual Info the ox night has taken a few wounds and is in moderate health.
    Other info: S is 5' above the ground

Show

Player Roll
    Akara 33
    Ryuuhei 29
    Issac 17
    Stones 14
    Knight 3

2 X X
    3 X X S
    19 A I? R
    Last edited by Silverphantasm; 2016-01-26 at 03:37 PM.

24. - Top - End - #24

The Ox-Knight's lance bites deeply into Isaac's shoulder. As the Ox-Knight pulls the lance back and twists to throw Isaac off, he grabs the weapon before it can be fully withdrawn from the wound and kicks at the frustrated knight's weapon hand before the momentum from the kick and the twist of the neck propel him away.

Show
    current square is H4. The Ox-Knight doesn't get a counter-trip because I have Improved Trip. Current HP is 42/65. Karmic Strike grants AoO on taking a hit. Attack (1d20+13)[33], damage (screwup, see next post) nonlethal bludgeoning.

+2 attack and +4 damage if the bugger's Large from my stance.
    Last edited by Toptomcat; 2016-01-26 at 04:52 PM. Reason: Put a [/spoiler] tag where a [/roll] belonged

25. - Top - End - #25

Screwed up the damage roll, need a crit confirm . Sorry , posting from phone is hard.

Dam: (1d8+5)[13] nonlethal bludgeoning

Crit: (1d20+13)[19]

Crit damage: (1d8+5)[12]

26. - Top - End - #26
    Ettin in the Playground

PirateCaptain

Ryuuhei dashed forward, following Isaac's lead.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Double move to I7.
    Extended Signature

27. - Top - End - #27

RedWizardGuy

Show

Player Roll
    Akara 33
    Ryuuhei 29
    Issac 17
    Stones 14
    Knight 3

2 X X
    3 X X S
    4 I
    7 R
    19 A

28. - Top - End - #28
    Banned

Akara, fancying her chances of hiding from the ox knight long enough to get another round of shots on him, fired off another volley before diving behind Isaac.

Show
    (1d20+11)[26](1d20+11)[19](1d20+6)[16]
    (1d20+11)[19](1d20+11)[15](1d20+6)[8]
    (1d8+5)[9](1d8+5)[11](1d8+5)[6]

Five foot step to H19 to be directly behind Isie, then hide (1d20+5)[25] during my 5FS.
    Last edited by Jormengand; 2016-01-26 at 05:56 PM.

29. - Top - End - #29
    Titan in the Playground

Stone Shines Brightly
    Stone Shines Brightly recovers from his parry and descends on the Ox Knight with a flurry of blows.

Spoiler
    Show

(thematic only, no relation to the monk ability)
    5' step, full attack.
    Sword attack 1 (1d20+19)[34]
    Damage (2d6+12)[19] plus (1d6)[2] from Punishing Stance
    Free grapple check to initiate (1d20+22)[39] taking -4 to deal nonlethal damage

Sword attack 2 (1d20+14)[25]
    Damage (2d6+12)[21] plus (1d6)[5] from Punishing Stance
    Free grapple check to initiate (1d20+22)[28] taking -4 to deal nonlethal damage

Bite (1d20+17)[22]
    Damage (1d8+12)[16] plus (1d6)[5] from Punishing Stance
    Free grapple check to initiate (1d20+22)[42] taking -4 to deal nonlethal damage

Claw (1d20+17)[19]
    Damage (1d6+6)[7] plus (1d6)[4] from Punishing Stance
    Free grapple check to initiate (1d20+22)[30] taking -4 to deal nonlethal damage

I misread Scorpion's Grasp-if I start the grapple with the longsword, I have to drop it, but I can still use my bite if I succeed in starting it.

If starting a grapple attempt will interfere with my full attack being completed, I'll waive the grapple attempt on my first sword strike.

30. - Top - End - #30

RedWizardGuy

The Ox Knight, growled with continued frustration, he had been slashed again by Stones' longsword and narrowly avoided another wound from the three arrows that had been fired at him, he could also see third figure moving towards him. "Try this, my scaled foe!" He jabbed his lance twice in quick succession at Stones.

Spoiler: Actions
    Show
    Swift Action: Fighting Challenge vs Stones
    Attack(1):(1d20+21)[25]
    Crit Check(1):(1d20+21)[23]
    Damage(1):(2d6+14)[26]

Attack(2):(1d20+16)[27]
    Crit Check(2):(1d20+16)[36]
    Damage(2):(2d6+14)[21]

Show

Player Roll