Support the GITP forums on Patreon
Help support GITP's forums (and ongoing server maintenance) via Patreon
Page 1 of 50 123456789101126 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 30 of 1491
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Titan in the Playground
     
    Farmerbink's Avatar

    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    Texas, again!
    Gender
    Male

    Default Bink's Rise of the Runelords- IC

    Oathday, 1st of Rova, 4707

    The day dawns, bright and sunny. Despite being the Autumnal Equinox, clear skies bear the promise of unseasonably warm weather- as has been the case this year. An abundance of Sandpoint's residents are out in force, wearing stunning dresses and elegant tunics. Many brag about the designer, one Rynshinn. Apparently, that matters to the locals. A large group gathers at the square in front of a fine, enormous cathedral. Spilling out into the alleys and main thoroughfares in both directions, the intersection of Church Street and High Street bustle with activity.

    Some woman rises to stand on the stage, and whispers of "Mayor Deverin!" and "Listen, listen!" hurry their way through the already-gathered crowds. The woman politely waves and welcomes people nearby as she takes the stairs with something of aa patient and regal air. She walks beneath a large banner held aloft by two poles at the end of the stage which reads "Swallowtail Festival" in vibrantly-painted colors.

    A few farmers gathered in the crowd look somewhat out of place, with their simple garb, but no one seems to mind their presence or their lack of decor. They're hardly the strangest sight in Sandpoint, these days.

    Stalls adorn the town square, forming something of a ring around the audience beside the stage- several of the town merchants have paid well for the presence, taking full advantage of the opportunity to showcase some of their best wares to the gathered crowd. All have decorative and colorful signs proudly displaying their shop names. This goes double for the taverns and inns, which have free food on hand. Ale however, is still being sold.

    A large man near the stage calls for the crowd's attention, and the woman, Mayor Deverin, begins speaking. "Welcome again, Friends and Neighbors, to the Swallowtail Festival!" Cheers rise out of the crowd, already interrupting. Whatever this festival is, it's important to the locals. "This has been, without a doubt one of the highest turnouts we've ever had in my tenure as Mayor. Why even Larz Rovanky was able to tear himself away from smearing brains on deerhide!" The crowd erupts in laughter at the jibe- well, except for that unkempt man by the cart showcasing leathers. Must be Larz.

    "I want to offer my thanks to the many people who made this festival possible. Thank you, masons and carpenters, for all your hard work on the new Temple! It's unveiling marks a new era of strength and solidarity in Sandpoints history; I'm sure it will be the site of many wonderful things to come! Thank you, innkeepers and tavern keepers, for providing food for this event. Don't forget, there are secret judges among the crowd who will be coming by to sample your food and be ready to reveal the prize later on today. Thank you to all our friends in the fields who provide us with the opportunity to eat such great food! Thank you, Jodar Provolost, Daverin Hosk, Aesrick Battlehorn, Gressel Tenniwar, Turch Sterglus, and Sabyl Sorn for providing entertaining games and activities. I hope you thoroughly enjoy yourselves!" To respectful applause and the occasional whistle, the Mayor backs to a chair on the stage, as a wiry figure rises to the stage.

    "Welcome everyone. I just have a few cautionary words and then I will allow everyone to get back to it. Please mind yourselves today. While there will be plenty of ale, the guards are on hand to stop any unpleasantness. This evening will be featuring a bonfire, like last year, but I ask that everyone maintain a proper distance from the fire, so that no one is burned. Please do your best to leave enough space for people to move around so that if the fire gets out of hand, the it can be easily suppressed. Also, let us take a moment to remember the passing of Ezakien Tobyn and his adopted daughter Nualia."

    The sheriff, unsure when to stop talking, lurches into a halt, and then motions to the large man and sits down, amid grumblings of "sourpuss," and "poor sport," from the crowd.

    "Oh, ah, yes. Now we were scheduled to hear from Longiku Kaijutsu, the master glassworker here in Sandpoint, but he appears to have caught a cold from last Sunday's rain and has retired to his home."

    Mutters flutter through the crowd. They don't seem surprised. A colorfully-dressed man, sensing an opportunity, rushes up to the stage and whispers to the MC.

    "In his absence, we are delighted to announce that our beloved Cyrdak will now say a few words!" The crowd cheers wildly. "Come on up!"

    Cyrdak jogs around and almost flies up the stairs to be on his natural home. "Friends! While it is quite a shame that Master Kaijutsu cannot be with us, I'm sure that we will make merry twice as hard in his absence! After all, we should party all the more, that way our good spirits will allow his to rise! Of course, we should celebrate! Given what this monument cost, we all deserve it! Why Father Zantus even came to me to ask for a few coppers per ticket of my new showing of 'The Harpy's Curse.' But fear not! I, Cyrdak Drokkus, was more than happy to oblige! After all, what are a few coppers more when you get the chance to see the lovely, the captivating, the talk of Magnimar, Allishanda! She will portray the devious Avisera the harpy queen as she fights against the curse of Lamashtu to find true love! So eat! Drink! Be merry, and come see 'The Harpy's Curse' at the Sandpoint Theatre!! Any and all will enjoy-""Thank you Cyrdak, that was quite moving," the large man interrupts with a firm but not unfriendly hand on the shoulder. "but I'm sure these folks didn't come to listen to you talk all morning! Lastly, friends, Father Zantus will now offer a benediction."

    A wizened looking man, Father Zantus, stands up. He steps forward on the stage, and raises his hands. A hush falls over the crowd. "Again, I bid you all welcome. Thank you for coming on this fine day. We praise Gozreh for calming the winds and the seas. We praise Sarenrae for redeeming our place of worship. We praise Abadar, for smiling down on our work to restore our place of worship... but this day belongs to Desna! Praise be to the Great Dreamer, who saw in us, the hope that we would once again have a beautiful place to worship her, who inspired us to seek out the contracts we would need to rebuild this holy place, who bolstered our work with song and dance, and kept our hearts light as we rested under the stars. Today is her day, and may we dance and sing the starsong!"

    Spoiler: Food
    Show
    Most of this food will come out at lunch, but Ameiko does allow anyone in the group who asks to sample some of the smoked salmon she prepared. It's nearing divine.

    Sandpoint Savories is featuring Avertin's Apple Pie

    White Tailed Deer is serving roast venison with capers

    The Hagfish serves butterfly clams with lemon-butter

    Risa's Place is serving Varisian Delight, A thinly sliced fillet, breaded and rolled around a batter of onion and corn meal and deep fried in oil

    Cracktooth's Tavern has made a crab bisque
    Spoiler: Activities
    Show
    "Do you have what it takes to bring down the infamous Sandpoint Devil? Take a shot and see." Jodar Provolost cries. Maester Grump and Recruiter Althus have both tried their hands and are munching on a pie. They're watching and commenting about the people who try the game.
    Spoiler: The Devil Hunt
    Show
    This event takes place at an archery range set up on the beach by the lighthouse. Two large targets with silhouettes of a monstrous winged horse are set up fifty yards away from a firing line. The bull’s-eye on each target is where the horse’s heart would be, and there are four concentric circles surrounding the bull’s-eye. To play costs two copper pieces. Using one of the longbows provided, the player fires two arrows at the target, scoring the better of the two. Hitting a bull’s-eye wins a small pie. Hitting anything else wins progressively cheaper trinkets for each band outside the bull’s-eye, with nothing for a miss.
    Spoiler: rules
    Show
    Make 2 ranged attack rolls. If you hit higher than 20 you win a pie.


    "Three Goblins have found their way into your house and are tearing it up! Toss them into the fireplace before they can destroy everything." Daverin Hosk calls to promote his game. The children all seem to love this game, and have formed a long line.
    Spoiler: The Goblin Toss
    Show
    This game is a simple bean bag toss set up in the square. A board with a row of three holes is set up 10 feet from a throwing line. The closest hole is the largest and the farthest hole is the smallest. There are buckets of beanbags sewn to look like goblins by each of the three stations, and each bean bag has a goblin name printed on it. This event costs one copper piece. The player receives three “goblins,” and must try to toss them into a “fireplace”. Children aim for the closest hole, women use the middle hole, and adult men use the furthest hole.
    Spoiler: rules
    Show
    Make 3 ranged attack rolls to hit AC 15. No penalty for improvised weapons. Hit all 3 and win a bag of venison jerky. Daverin tells any children who win the jerky that it's really goblin meat. Most of them believe him.


    "Who needs a lighthouse without a light? The old lighthouse has become an eyesore. Let’s knock it down so we can use the stone to build something new," calls Aesrick Battlehorn.
    Spoiler: The Lighthouse Smash
    Show
    This game is set up at the end of Junker’s Way next to the lighthouse. It has a table with six square stones stacked on it in a triangular shape, and has a firing line twenty feet from the tables. Using a small catapult, the players must try to knock down the stack of stones. To play costs two copper pieces. Each player gets three shots. It usually takes all three hits to knock down all the stones, though it is possible to knock the stones down with one catapult shot. The small catapult is a work of art. It is 2 feet tall and has been carved in the shape of a stone giant with its arm throwing the stone. Battlehorn has a soft spot for the children, and helps them aim it so that they can win the toy catapults.
    Spoiler: rules
    Show
    A successful ranged attack roll against AC 12 counts as one hit. Hitting AC 16 counts as two hits, and hitting AC 20 counts as three hits. The catapults have a range of fifty feet, so there is no range penalty, but players incur a penalty of -4 if they are not proficient with siege weapons. Knocking down all the stones wins a small toy catapult. Anything less wins the player a handful of cheap trinkets. Missing all three shots does not win the player anything.



    "There’s been talk of starting a dragon farm in Sandpoint. We need to find out which dragons are the fastest so that we have the best stock. Pick yourself a dragon and put it to the test in a race against your friends!" calls a crier for Gressel Tenniwar.
    Spoiler: Dragon Races
    Show
    The final game is located in the Sandpoint market square at the beginning of Market Street. There are two thirty-foot-long double lane tracks set up next to each other with a three-foot wide gap between. Near the starting line, there is a large cage with twelve lizards in it. Each lizard has a set of twig and cloth wings attached to their backs, and each is painted a different color. Without touching the lizards, the player must goad their lizard down the track. To play costs one copper piece. Once four people have picked a “dragon”, the players must place them in the starting lanes. At the sound of the whistle, the gates are lifted and the players must goad their dragons down the track without touching them.
    Spoiler: rules
    Show
    Each person racing makes an initiative check and the race proceeds in initiative order. Making each lizard move five feet requires a successful DC 14 Handle Animal check. On a failure, they do not move, and if the check fails by 10 or more, the lizard moves five feet backwards. The first lizard to cross the finish line wins. The winner gets a large, cheap medal that reads “1st Place Swallowtail Dragon Races” and 2 copper pieces. All other places get nothing. If you want to do this one, let me know and we'll hash it out in our OOC thread.
    Spoiler: Perception DC 18
    Show
    You see a few unsavory characters watching the "dragon races" with great intent. When one wins, one of the men cheers wildly while the rest of their faces sour. If you keep watching, make a
    Spoiler: Perception DC 12
    Show
    You see some of the competitors hold raw meat in front of their lizards.
    Spoiler: Sense Motive 20
    Show
    Some of the lizards seem more motivated to win than others, and usually its the ones who want the raw meat.



    "Who is the strongest in Sandpoint?" Sabyl Sorn offers this simple challenge.
    Spoiler: Weight Lifting
    Show
    She stands before three sets of weights that pairs seem to be attached to a bar. The challenge seems simple enough, lift the weight over your head. Both men and women gather to watch people attempting this challenge.
    Spoiler: rules
    Show
    This is a straight lifting check. The first weight starts at 150 pounds. The next is 250, and the final one is 350. If you can lift all three over your head, you win.


    Turch Sterglus calls out. "Welcome sailors and sandlubbers, to this here duck pond. Whoever's got a keen eye in their skull will win a prize. Whoever's not will ne'er see Murdermaw sneakin up on em till it's TOO LATE!" All the kids cheer "Murdermaw! Murdermaw!" when they hear the salty old dog say his name.
    Spoiler: rules
    Show
    This is a classic duck pond. 2 coppers gets you the chance to pick 3 ducks. Picking the correct duck requires a dc 15 perception check. The ducks don't go back into the pond until after you've finished your try. On the bottom of each duck will be a symbol. The one you want is Murdermaw. Match 3 symbols and you win a carved fishbone necklace. Match 2 and you get a carved fishbone hairpin. Get 1 Murdermaw symbol and you get a salty treat.


    "If you think you're tough, come prove it to all Sandpoint. If you can eat the spiciest of what I've cooked, you and a friend can have free drinks this Starday at the Rusty Dragon!"
    Spoiler: Spicy Eating Contest
    Show

    This is the event that Horran and Lettie Guffmin, two farmers from the surrounding area, seem to have been waiting for, and they're the first to sit down at the long table. Also sitting down at the table is the local locksmith and well known patron of the arts, Volioker Briskalberd.
    Spoiler: rules
    Show
    The rounds will get progressively harder, the first one starts out with a DC 10 fortitude check. We will need to coordinate this one to see who will be knocked out during each round.


    "The one, the only, Madame Mvashti! Fortune-teller, extraordinaire! See what the omens have in store for you, for your loved ones!"
    Spoiler: Madame Mvashti's Fortunes
    Show
    It's rare for Madame Mvashti to do readings these days, but the festival seems to have put her in a good mood. Her services do not come cheap, however, and silver must cross her palm before she will deal the Harrow Deck before her. A few birds have gathered near her, and seem to chatter back and forth, sometimes seemingly addressing her. She clucks back to them.
    Spoiler: Men and Women
    Show
    An abundance of NPCs, dressed in all manner of finery and not are available to speak with and court. I have access to TONS of info in the book that I'm not immediately interested in typing up. If you strike up conversation, I will 'assign' an NPC to you for the duration. These conversations may or may not have lasting impacts.

  2. - Top - End - #2
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    WalkingTheShade's Avatar

    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    Smelly cheese land

    Default Re: Bink's Rise of the Runelords- IC

    The retired knight

    Spoiler: Drawing
    Show

    Niccomo is in a light and sunny disposition today. As every other day, he wears his old tunic, bleached dull brown by the sun and wind. As every other day, his knees hurt. However, looking at the people of Sandpoint having so much fun and being so happy lights his heart. He can't remember ever seeing such happy times, either has a kid from a miserable family in Cheliax or as a soldier.

    While going through the crowd, he nods to familiar faces. Before the cathedral, he listens to the stage speakers, while munching smoked salmon on a stick. He beams when Deverin gets up there, hoping to catch her eye. He nods his agreement with the sheriff's words, while mumbling to the listeners around him "the man's right" and "can't be too carefull" and "it'd be sad if anyone's hurt today". Niccomo looks balefully at anyone he hears calling the sheriff names. Niccomo makes a mental note to say some polite words about the older Kaijutsu's health if he meets any family member and then laughs when Cyrdak is taken off stage.

    Once the speeches are over, at a moment when he feels he's not intruding, Niccomo goes to Devrin and shakes her hand. "Congratulations, miss, that was a good speech. I hope everything's going as you want with this year's festival?"

    Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    Niccomo is so obviously over-confident regarding the safety of Sandpoint. He wears no weapon, having left everything home. He just has his belt-pouch and some change with him.
    Last edited by WalkingTheShade; 2016-01-23 at 09:34 AM.
    'Jernau Gurgeh', the machine said, making a sighing noise, 'a guilty system recognises no innocents. … The very way you think places you amongst its enemies. … Prevarication will be more difficult than you might imagine; neutrality is probably impossible. You cannot choose not to have the politics you do; they are not some separate set of entities somehow detachable from the rest of your being; they are a function of your existence. I know that and they know that; you had better accept it.'

  3. - Top - End - #3
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    Quiver's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jan 2016

    Default Re: Bink's Rise of the Runelords- IC

    The Swallowtail Festival was always a time of music and community. Arriving in time for it was good fortune; to arrive in a town that was celebration it and the completion of a new temple was nothing less than Providence.

    Elicaryn smiled as she walked through the crowd, her already-wide eyes staring at the sights around her. The priest may have offered thanks to Gozreh, Sarenrae, Abader Desna... but the half-elf saw another goddess being worshiped on every corner.

    The smell of food wafted in the air enticingly.

    Most people had a flawed understanding of art. they thought that art was the painting on the wall, the song sung in the hall. They were right, of course, but oh so limited in their thoughts.

    The performers, singing and dancing. The cooks, laboring over a stove to make the bread. The builders, the contractors, laboring over every block, working on every column and vault.

    That was art. Just as the sense of community bubbling through the air was love.

    They might claim this day as Desna's... but Elicaryn saw offerings to Shelyn all around her.

    Though, she admitted internally, I would. If the wooden songbird pinned to her coat, painted with the fervor of someone who didn't know which color she wanted to sue and so had used them all, wasn't enough to tell people who she worshiped, the glaive tied to her hand did.

    She regretted that; a half-elf, hair shaved to a black fuzz, in an armored coat and carrying a weapon did not make a good first impression. But she had barely had enough time to seize the mirror from her backpack and scrub her face clean, let alone find room and board... and now, surrounded by the sights and sounds around her, she didn't want to waste a minute of it.

    Her eyes crossed the thoroughfare, wondering where to start. It was a shame that the master glassmaker was ill; she would have liked to meet him. And she would need to try and find a ticket to 'The Harpy's Curse'. And she would need to visit the temple to admire it... though that, at least, could wait until tomorrow, when the festival was over.

    Today, while the camaraderie and communal spirit was high, she wanted to enjoy the festival.

    And what would be the life of a community more than the food stall?

    Eilcaryn smiled, approaching the stalls. Honestly, her desire to be with the crowd was only part of the reason she was drawn there; she had made haste that morning to reach Sandpoint in time, skipping a meal. It would be good to get some food in her stomach, and perhaps find some room and board...

    She glanced at the crowd that seemed to be getting samples of salmon from 'The Rusty Dragon'. Eilcaryn approached the woman.

    "Excuse me sister," she said, placing a hand on her chest and bowing slightly. "Might I trouble you for a meal?"

    Spoiler
    Show
    I figured I'd hedge my bet's and try getting some free salmon from Ameiko.

    And... to explain the 'sister' thing. The concept is that Eilcaryn view's friendship as the highest form of love one can have- as in, it's better than familial love because it doesn't OBLIGATE you to love the person. But she still views everyone as potential friends. So, I was going to have her use 'Brother/Sister' as a verbal tic of sorts, sort of her short hand for 'I don't know you well enough as a friend, so I'm going to call you this instead'.

    (It's a carry over from when she was a straight up cleric/monk, too).

    That said, if the tic get's annoying or bothers you guys... tell me, and I'll remove it!
    Last edited by Quiver; 2016-01-23 at 10:31 AM.

  4. - Top - End - #4
    Bugbear in the Playground
    Join Date
    Aug 2012

    Default Re: Bink's Rise of the Runelords- IC

    The sights, smells, and sounds of the festival would be amazing to most any outsider, but to Akmiz Zova's unworldly senses the whole experience is utterly overwhelming. Her mind can't seem to decide on what to take in first. She marvels at the ostentatious displays at the stalls and decorations before she suddenly realizes her right hand is in possession of a serving of smoked salmon and digs in. As the flavor washes over her, she stumbles across the gathered crowd awaiting the town's officials' addresses. Akmiz Zova curbs her enthusiasm just for the few moments it takes to listen to proceedings, though anyone trying to interrupt her enjoyment of the venison may find themselves accidentally short a finger or two if they aren't careful.

    Quote Originally Posted by Farmerbink View Post
    "This evening will be featuring a bonfire, like last year, but I ask that everyone maintain a proper distance from the fire, so that no one is burned. Please do your best to leave enough space for people to move around so that if the fire gets out of hand, the it can be easily suppressed. "
    If there was a thing that could've distracted her from her now-finished snack, the mention of a bonfire would be it. She briefly wonders if the people of Sandpoint could burn so brightly on a regular basis, but she has to shake the thought from her head when she reminds herself that such a flame does not exist and that her stay in town, no matter how likely she is to enjoy it, is temporary. She brings her attention back to stage to catch Father Zantus' address. As the aged cleric concludes his blessing, she makes a mental note to ask about the history and worship of Desna in Sandpoint if the opportunity presents itself.

    Once the grandstanding is done, Akmiz Zova finds herself turned loose like a child at the end of a schoolday and just as fascinated by the world around her as one. She quickly resolves to not spend the night alone if she can help, even if it is not necessarily spent in the throes of passion, and sets out to find a group of revelers willing to have an outsider along. By chance, she happens upon Sabyl Sorn and her test of strength. Akmiz Zova smirks inwardly as she surveys the minor challenge set out before the gathered onlookers. As the first few petitioners step up to prove themselves, the bemused Shoanti woman subtly talks up the crowd, trying to incite them to vest greater interest in each attempt. The stress ultimately proves too great for even the largest of the competitors. She takes that moment to walk forward, arms outstretched, bellowing with a wide grin and a quirked eyebrow, "I think these good people of Sandpoint deserve someone who will actually win on this day, do you not, Sabyl?

    Spoiler: Checks?
    Show
    Diplomacy: (1d20+8)[9]
    Strength 1: (1d20+4)[23]
    Strength 2: (1d20+4)[13]
    Strength 3: (1d20+4)[13]

    The woman's network of tattoos, clearly Shoanti in origin, shaved head, and imposing stature all combine to make the woman that much more off-putting to those around her. Instead of sewing interest in her own attempt, she likely comes off as a nuisance or a fool braggart. Still she sets to the task before admirably.
    Last edited by Amazo; 2016-01-25 at 06:48 PM.
    Yves Talbot, bard extraordinaire, avatar by Ishmi and the King's Men on Facebook.

  5. - Top - End - #5
    Titan in the Playground
     
    3SecondCultist's Avatar

    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    UK
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Bink's Rise of the Runelords- IC

    The man with the azure eyes sits on a shadowed bench. He watches the proceedings with some interest, although he is currently in the middle of reading an anthropological text, and he'd rather finish the chapter before interacting with any of the locals. It is certainly a riveting read, if only for the pure entertainment value of its author's - one Hermaeus Chylor - numerous fallacies.

    The conclusion reads: "the institutions of men and demi-humans are as distinctly stratified as the earth on which he lives. They succeed each other in series substantially uniform over the globe, independent of what seem the comparatively superficial differences of race and language, but shaped by similar human nature acting through successively changed conditions in savage, barbaric, and civilized life."

    It's all Cade can do not to snort in contempt. Chylor is Chelish, and it shows. The entirety of his thought, his critique of multiculturalism through a supposed lens of uniform linear history is so skewed towards his rampant imperialism that it really is quite laughable. His continued use of 'demi-humans' as an awkward catch-all betrays his real discomfort for other cultural practices. Anything to justify Queen and Empire, right? Why had Blackthorn given him this book? In hindsight, it did look like a rather unsubtle clue telling Cade that he needed to 'broaden his cultural horizons'. It sounded like something he'd say. Certainly, that was one of the reasons Sandpoint had been a stop on his trip... although he hadn't yet had the nerve to actually talk to anyone here. The speeches had been pretty enough, although Cade had stopped paying attention around the time everyone started in on the superstitious nonsense. Why anyone would celebrate a big eyesore like the cathedral is utterly beyond him.

    Still, it won't do him any good just to sit here twiddling his thumbs. There are things to see, and games to try! He's always loved games. The food doesn't appear all that appetizing: fish isn't exactly 'on his menu', especially not something as common as salmon. He'll eat later, probably. Maybe. If there's time. Putting his book away in his adventuring rucksack, Cade rises to his feet. The bag on his shoulders shifts, as he feels his belongings move around. Hopefully his ink is still alright; its procurement had required the involvement of a merchant from Magnimar and cost a pretty penny. Not that he'd see the stains, though, with it being invisible under most conditions. Still, best to be careful until one had the lay of the land. Another Blackthorn saying. Cade chides himself inwardly. It simply would not do to have the old man accompany Cade in his mind. Shaking his head back and forth, the investigator decides that he should probably follow that advice nonetheless. Isolation doesn't normally bother him, but he finds that being alone in a crowd is an entirely different phenomenon. Quite unsettling, really.

    Walking through the throng, Cade lets his eyes wander from person to person and stall to stall, never truly resting on one thing but absorbing as much detail as possible in the brief seconds of contact. He'd found that it was a well and good exercise of the memory to try and recall everything one saw. Sandpoint is as good a place as any to hone his talents, and Cade finds the avenues of his thoughts turning towards several curiosities he'd observed during the opening festivities. Based on what he has heard so far and his own musings, Cade is able to deduce the following: that the Shoanti Sheriff's demeanor stems from being forced to step into the shoes of a murdered colleague, that both of the Tobyns are presumed dead in a fire that claimed the last church, and that nobody really expected the reclusive and ill-tempered glassmaker Lonjiku Kaijitsu to make an appearance today.

    As he ruminates on these conclusions, Cade nearly stumbles over the entrance to a very specific and auspicious activity. Looking up suddenly, he finds himself in a very promising spot. Fortune-Teller, extraordinaire. Cade smirks. This is going to be fun. He deftly steps in line to have his fortune read, relishing this new opportunity.

    Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    Alright, first let's start with some Knowledges to answer specific questions.

    1) Why is the Sheriff so dour?
    2) What's the story with Ezakien and Nualia Tobyn?
    3) And who is Master Kaijitsu?


    I will roll several Knowledge (Local) checks, in case I need to. I might also use Inspiration on one of the rolls if they're really bad, I can add 1d6 after the die is rolled but before I know the results. I'll roll in the OOC if that's the case, I think.

    Knowledge (Local): (1d20+10)[24]
    Knowledge (Local): (1d20+10)[28]
    Knowledge (Local): (1d20+10)[27]

    Oh, and let's make a Perception check for the area too. Cade's always going to be looking around, he's just curious about stuff. Pity it's only a +4 at the moment, I can't wait for Ceaseless Observation!

    Perception: (1d20+4)[17]
    Last edited by 3SecondCultist; 2016-11-12 at 08:57 AM.
    Spoiler: My Profile
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Zeno Desaqqara View Post
    You divine bastard.
    Currently Running:
    - Tales of Neutral Ground
    - Skull & Shackles

    Winner of Total War: Rise of Kingdoms (Ironfang Republic)


    "The philosophers have only interpreted the world in various ways; the point is to change it."

  6. - Top - End - #6
    Titan in the Playground
     
    Farmerbink's Avatar

    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    Texas, again!
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Bink's Rise of the Runelords- IC

    Quote Originally Posted by WalkingTheShade View Post
    Congratulations, miss, that was a good speech. I hope everything's going as you want with this year's festival?"
    Spoiler: Mayor Deverin
    Show
    "Ah, Niccomo! How good to see you, this morning!" The Mayor wears her burden well, and a local like you notices a distinctly relieved air about her. "I cannot complain," she begins to answer the question. "This is, by far, the best turnout we have had for the opening ceremony since I've been mayor! I only hope the morning's meetings pass quickly. Ameiko's salmon smells to die for! I'm glad to see you out and about so early. A little celebration is always good for the heart." With a knowing wink, the Mayor smiles as she takes your hands between both of hers fondly. Her face almost immediately turns just a bit sour. "But alas, I do have other obligations to attend. If you'll excuse me? Enjoy your day!" The Mayor moves onward, speaking briefly with a few other notable citizens- Father Zantus, and Brodert Quink notably among them. It appears that she fully intends to greet every shopkeeper or civil servant before allowing herself time to enjoy the festival proper.

    Quote Originally Posted by Quiver View Post
    "Excuse me sister," she said, placing a hand on her chest and bowing slightly. "Might I trouble you for a meal?"
    Spoiler: Ameiko
    Show
    The lovely woman behind the cart turns to receive the request with wide, vibrant eyes. A smile quickly follows, and in a sonorous voice, an exclamation does as well: "Of course! No charge, today! I hope you like the taste of salmon- I'm rather proud of my curry-spiced recipe!" Before you know it, a small paper dish with a thick orange paste is pressed into your hands. "Name's Ameiko. Don't forget to cast your vote for me when the judges come asking!" As quickly as she attended you, she's off to another customer. The leather-clad woman works smoothly and swiftly, and seems to have an unending supply of salmon from somewhere behind the cart.

    Quote Originally Posted by Amazo View Post
    "I think these fine people of Sandpoint deserve a real champion on this day, don't you, Sabyl?
    Spoiler: Sabyl
    Show

    The woman beside the weights bears a strained smile, and gestures forward. You approach the first weight, and after making a show of it, heft the stone into one hand to raise in a press overhead! The short-haired woman watching widens her eyes in surprise, before gesturing noncommittally towards the remaining two weights. The second weight is raised with similar ease, this time in both hands, and falls to the ground with a resounding thud and small cloud of upturned dust. The third stone is heavy! By the Gods! Your first attempt to raise the stone fails utterly, and you suddenly realize that you might have to take this seriously. Squaring your feet on either side, you bend your knees and drop bodily to a full squat. Just able to grasp your own wrist around the narrow base of the stone on the other side, you heave- making your muscular legs do all the work. The weight now chest height, you know the rules insisted overhead as the goal. With a quick pop of your legs, you use the stones own momentum to raise your arms underneath. Veins popping out of your arms with the strain, a mighty bellow escapes your lips as the stone rises the final two feet. Standing victorious, with fully 2 adult men's worth of weight overhead, the crowd nearby erupts in cheers. The cry of "can ya believe it? A woman!" reaches your ears, and elicits a smirk. Sabyl nods, impressed. "Honestly, I suspected we had a fool's errand before us! Well done!"

    As is typical, success is its own reward at the Swallowtail Festival. Still, it's unlikely that the villagers will challenge you to an arm-wrestling contest, any time soon.

    Quote Originally Posted by 3SecondCultist View Post
    Fortune-Teller, extraordinaire. Cade smirks. This is going to be fun. He deftly steps in line to have his fortune read, relishing this new opportunity.
    The line of three disappears inside a colorful tent, one at a time. Each person is inside for what seems like forever, though it cannot be more than a few minutes, before leaving through a side flap- appearing dazed. As you step through the doorway, you cannot help but be surprised at the interior. Somehow, even the light from what must be an open tent is faded. In the tiny, dim room, two candles frame the wrinkled face of a venerable woman. Eyes shadowed by bushy brows twinkle in the low light, and a wrinkled palm lies upturned on the table. You place a silver piece on it, and it recedes into the many folds of a blue/green robe. Her lips turn into a short smirk, as the same hand emerges- shuffling a deck of thick playing cards. A croneish voice rattles from beneath the eyes. "Behooold, the coming tiiiides..." She flips a card from the top of the deck, and lays it down in the middle of the table....

    This one will take some time. More to come.

  7. - Top - End - #7
    Titan in the Playground
     
    Farmerbink's Avatar

    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    Texas, again!
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Bink's Rise of the Runelords- IC

    Spoiler: The coming tides (Cade)
    Show
    The first card back faces you. Colorful swirls taunt your sight in the dimly-lit A slow hacking cough rises from behind the card. "The Hammer falls. With strength and suuureety of purpossse, your arm will strike the final blow in victory..." The gnarled hand places the card in the corner of the table furthest from you. A golden hammer gleams on its surface, clasped tightly by a black, steel-gauntleted hand. The sudden scent of brimstone permeates the table.

    A second card appears in the gnarled hands. The same, and yet different colors dance just beyond your ability to discern. "Iiiinnteressting... There is strength, indeed, in you...." The wrinkled hand slaps the card down to the table- another golden hammer, this one held gently by an open, gray-colored hand. "Another hammer. There is violence in your future! Sssooner than you exsspect!"

    "Ah, yesss. You are sstrong, but not without skilll, yes? Behold, the Book! Knowledge and temperance guide your blows!" A green-backed book is placed on the table, between you and the hammers. The old crone cackles in her wheezing voice.

    "Hmmmm. You are a simple man, I see. Strength and Skill are sufficient for you! Yes!

    ...Or so you think... The book once again makes its presence known. You will rely upon your wits, when perhaps- perhaps, you should not.
    " A black-backed book joins the green. The Blackened Hammer somehow reflects light from nowhere into your eyes.

    "Ahhh, you show some depth of personality, after all. The Star watches over you. When this trouble comes, you will have the courage to press on..." A blue, 6-pointed star marks the face of this card. For some reason, it seems to fit in its space at the center of the table- between the hammers and books.

    Another card floats above the table. "You are lucky, friend. I see no ill in your future... yet. Behold, the Key!" The card falls to the table, beside the star. "The Blue Key unlocks the securest of evil's strongholds. You- you! Will be their undoing."

    "Truly. Skill leads your life. A third book- unheard of! And yet- still it bodes well, for you." A Grey Book is revealed on the card's face. A full row now lines the table nearest you. "It is a good thing to be guided by knowledge, friend. It is a better thing when Knowledge and Fate conspire on your behalf...."

    A flash of white appears in the air above the cards. The crones knuckles tightly clasp yet another card. "The White Star. Mercy and Providence personally attend you. You stand unshakable amidst crashing trees and tumbling stones. The waves will come- and they will pass you by."

    The woman gasps. She holds the final card, close to her chest. She peers intently at you. "Rise! Stand!!" Some power beyond you forces your legs to straighten. She leans over the table and you are drawn closer. For the first time, her face is clearly visible, even with the paltry lighting. Fear, terror drowns her features in sorrow. "You are... Doom. You will be the coming and going. Your will, will be the end. For some purpose, good or ill I do not know, you will be the catalyst. Behold, the worst of omens. The Red. Star. The card of ill-will, and vengeful tenacity. It does not betray you. I do not know your name. I do not want to know your name.

    If this card will not condemn you, you may well be the death of us all. Leave me!!!
    "

    The last words are shrieked, piercing you with their fury. You stumble to your right, through a previously unseen gap in the wall. The brilliance of the early morning sun blinds you as you stumble back into the square. "Oy! How'd it go?!" calls one of the men waiting in line. His smile and wave cannot by misinterpreted. No one heard the crone but you.

    Spoiler: Lasting effects:
    Show
    1: twice, in the next 24 hours, you may gain a +1 luck bonus on any attack roll.
    2: three times, in the next 24 hours, you may gain a +1 luck bonus on any skill check.
    3: three times, in the next 24 hours, you may gain a +1 luck bonus on any will save.
    4: once, in the next 24 hours, you may gain a +1 luck bonus on any reflex save.

    All of these bonuses are one-use, at will without an action. They can be applied to any rolls after the fact, but before I reveal the results.

  8. - Top - End - #8
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    Quiver's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jan 2016

    Default Re: Bink's Rise of the Runelords- IC

    Delicious. Divine. If cooking was painting, Ameiko was a master. Eilcaryn ran a finger over the plate, scooping up the last of drops of orange paste.

    She had been hesitant at first -not unduly; curry salmon?- but the first nibble quickly led to a larger bite, then another, then an empty plate.

    She set the empty plate aside, and glanced at the stalls. She would have to test them all -for fairness' sake- but Ameiko would be difficult to beat. And if the cooking of Standpoint lived up to the quality she had set...

    The thought made her lick her lip unconsciously, and very consciously become aware that she had skipped breakfast.

    Surely, there was another stal selling food? Looking around, the shaved elf hear clamours from a nearby crowd, saw lines wind around stalls.

    Except for one table, which didn't have any lines, but was still gathering a crowd.

    If you think you're tough, come prove it to all of Standpoint. If you can eat the spiciest of what I've cooked, you and a friend can have free drinks this Saturday at the Rusty Dragon'!
    The corners of Eilcaryn's smile twitched. There was an order to the world, a providence that provided...in this case, a chance to sample the artistry of the local cuisine shoulder-to-shoulder with the brothers of the town.

    She approached the table.

    "I'd like to enter your contest, brothers," she said, looking at each of the men with a smile and a nod.

    Spoiler
    Show
    Figure yiud want to coordinate this before we start fortitude rolls...but how well known is Volioker as a patron of the arts? Is he only known in the local area, or someone whose name (if not appearance) Eilcaryn should recognise?... Or should I roll for that?
    Last edited by Quiver; 2016-01-23 at 05:28 PM.

  9. - Top - End - #9
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    Imp

    Join Date
    Aug 2014

    Default Re: Bink's Rise of the Runelords- IC

    A strange bird person pops his head out of a trash bin, he had been hiding there for the night, after the speech though... he felt compelled to move. He began his search once again, like every day for God's know how many years, he knew that something was meant to happen here.... something important... but maza did not know what... with his beak he cleans his coat and feathers to be more or less presentable, and joined the festivities.

    As he moved by he passed by the fortune tellers tent.... he flipped the bird... he wasn't a fan of tarot card readers, only a maximum of 78 fortunes? Bah! There are so many other table top games in which the fates can communicate with! And funner too!!! Maza shook his head... today was different from normal days.... something had begun... looking around he sees a game of chance, a good way of telling the future....

    As he moves to the murdermaw game, he hears the screeching of children, maza decides to join in MURDERMAW! MURDERMAW! MURDERMAW!!! THE random crow like creature begins to yell at the children and the passers-by, I would like to murdermaw please thank you! the crow disides that... although he could see which would be right... there would be no fun in that... he simply picks one at random after throwing the money at the vendor

    Spoiler: ooc
    Show

    Alright, I'm gonna save my natural divination for later and just roll the perception check. It's three rolls of perception to get that necklace right?

    (1d20+7)[21]
    (1d20+7)[18]
    (1d20+7)[27]


    Ha! I found the sheit out of that last one!!!
    Last edited by 1Freakinninja; 2016-01-23 at 05:24 PM.

  10. - Top - End - #10
    Titan in the Playground
     
    Farmerbink's Avatar

    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    Texas, again!
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Bink's Rise of the Runelords- IC

    Quote Originally Posted by Quiver View Post
    "I'd like to enter your contest, brothers," she said, looking at each of the men with a smile and a nod.
    The trio of men welcomes you congenially to the table, two clearing a vacancy between them- apparently eager to sit close to a pretty young lady. If they're turned off at all by the Elven features, they hide it impressively well. "Alright! This is the easiest game there is! Just eat this pepper, and you're on to the next round!" Each of the men, and you, are presented with a small, green pepper, no more than an inch and a half long. It first glance, it seems fairly benign. After all, it's just a little vegetable, right? The expression on one man's face seems to suggest otherwise. Still, some breathing heavily in anticipation, and others completely unconcerned in ignorance, all 4 of you place the peppers into your mouths and bit.

    -into tangible fire! The heat is unbearable! It's like you just ripped a coal from a campfire and placed in onto your tongue! No, you rolled it around in your mouth to sear as many surfaces as possible! Oh! it HURTS!
    Spoiler: Fortitude saves, all around!
    Show
    All vs DC 10:
    Horran (1d20+4)[16]
    Lettie (1d20+5)[6]
    Volioker (1d20+3)[10]

    Horran, the man with the worried expression sweats bullets, but weathers the torment. Volioker likewise seems rather distressed, but is able to maintain some sense of composure, if crying like a fool in front of God and everyone can be called 'composure.'

    However, Lettie, the larger of the two farmers, and bearer of the ignorant grin, is completely taken by surprise. With a wordless cry of agony, the man stumbles away from the table, hacking and spewing pepper chunks at everything in his path. He stumbles to a vendor and grabs an ale, pouring its entire contents down his gullet, before he recovers enough to pay the man. The gathered crowd watches and laughs with delight at the man's unfortunate incident.
    Spoiler: Volioker
    Show
    Volioker is one of many locals that enjoys watching the shows, and pays somewhat more than his share to keep them running. There's not much way a newcomer to the city would know it, though his dress is somewhat finer than most gathered nearby. If you wanted to strike up a conversation, perhaps mention the upcoming show, he might bring it up.

  11. - Top - End - #11
    Titan in the Playground
     
    Farmerbink's Avatar

    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    Texas, again!
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Bink's Rise of the Runelords- IC

    Quote Originally Posted by 1Freakinninja View Post
    I would like to murdermaw please thank you!
    Several people in the crowd seem stunned at the sight of a huge, bipedal avian, but whether a result of good upbringing, or good food, no one makes too great a scene. At the fish pond, your keen eyes note the faint reflections off the bottom of the pool, easily identifying not only Murdermaw, but two matching symbols as well! With a suspicious scowl, the game runner thrusts a hairpin and a sweet into your feathered hands. "'ow'd you do that so quick!?" He asks. "Ne'er mine, I dun' care! Get awn back 'n let tha kids have a go!" Truly enough, other than observers, you're the most adult person at the stall, though several teenage boys and girls seem to be enjoying tormenting each other with their earned trinkets.

    Whether his intentions are what he says or not, none can say. It seems clear, however, that he'd prefer you weren't hanging about his stall....

  12. - Top - End - #12
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    Quiver's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jan 2016

    Default Re: Bink's Rise of the Runelords- IC

    Eilcaryn eyed the vegetable curiously when they handed it to her. She had expected a meal, like the salmon, not a single pepper...

    Still, nothing too bad was it? She offered a silent prayer to Shdlyn, popped it in her mouth, and...

    Spoiler
    Show
    (1d20+3)[14]


    she swallowed down as fire filled her throat, eyes watering. It was hitter than she had expected, hotter than the salmon had been...

    But she bit down her tongue. It was more than the man sitting next to her managed, stumbling away from the table and into the nearby vendor.

    Perhaps, I chose the wrong stall...

    Still, she kept her seat, awaiting the next dish.
    Last edited by Quiver; 2016-01-23 at 06:52 PM.

  13. - Top - End - #13
    Titan in the Playground
     
    3SecondCultist's Avatar

    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    UK
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Bink's Rise of the Runelords- IC

    Quote Originally Posted by Farmerbink View Post
    Spoiler: The coming tides (Cade)
    Show
    The first card back faces you. Colorful swirls taunt your sight in the dimly-lit A slow hacking cough rises from behind the card. "The Hammer falls. With strength and suuureety of purpossse, your arm will strike the final blow in victory..." The gnarled hand places the card in the corner of the table furthest from you. A golden hammer gleams on its surface, clasped tightly by a black, steel-gauntleted hand. The sudden scent of brimstone permeates the table.

    A second card appears in the gnarled hands. The same, and yet different colors dance just beyond your ability to discern. "Iiiinnteressting... There is strength, indeed, in you...." The wrinkled hand slaps the card down to the table- another golden hammer, this one held gently by an open, gray-colored hand. "Another hammer. There is violence in your future! Sssooner than you exsspect!"

    "Ah, yesss. You are sstrong, but not without skilll, yes? Behold, the Book! Knowledge and temperance guide your blows!" A green-backed book is placed on the table, between you and the hammers. The old crone cackles in her wheezing voice.

    "Hmmmm. You are a simple man, I see. Strength and Skill are sufficient for you! Yes!

    ...Or so you think... The book once again makes its presence known. You will rely upon your wits, when perhaps- perhaps, you should not.
    " A black-backed book joins the green. The Blackened Hammer somehow reflects light from nowhere into your eyes.

    "Ahhh, you show some depth of personality, after all. The Star watches over you. When this trouble comes, you will have the courage to press on..." A blue, 6-pointed star marks the face of this card. For some reason, it seems to fit in its space at the center of the table- between the hammers and books.

    Another card floats above the table. "You are lucky, friend. I see no ill in your future... yet. Behold, the Key!" The card falls to the table, beside the star. "The Blue Key unlocks the securest of evil's strongholds. You- you! Will be their undoing."

    "Truly. Skill leads your life. A third book- unheard of! And yet- still it bodes well, for you." A Grey Book is revealed on the card's face. A full row now lines the table nearest you. "It is a good thing to be guided by knowledge, friend. It is a better thing when Knowledge and Fate conspire on your behalf...."

    A flash of white appears in the air above the cards. The crones knuckles tightly clasp yet another card. "The White Star. Mercy and Providence personally attend you. You stand unshakable amidst crashing trees and tumbling stones. The waves will come- and they will pass you by."

    The woman gasps. She holds the final card, close to her chest. She peers intently at you. "Rise! Stand!!" Some power beyond you forces your legs to straighten. She leans over the table and you are drawn closer. For the first time, her face is clearly visible, even with the paltry lighting. Fear, terror drowns her features in sorrow. "You are... Doom. You will be the coming and going. Your will, will be the end. For some purpose, good or ill I do not know, you will be the catalyst. Behold, the worst of omens. The Red. Star. The card of ill-will, and vengeful tenacity. It does not betray you. I do not know your name. I do not want to know your name.

    If this card will not condemn you, you may well be the death of us all. Leave me!!!
    "

    The last words are shrieked, piercing you with their fury. You stumble to your right, through a previously unseen gap in the wall. The brilliance of the early morning sun blinds you as you stumble back into the square. "Oy! How'd it go?!" calls one of the men waiting in line. His smile and wave cannot by misinterpreted. No one heard the crone but you.

    Spoiler: Lasting effects:
    Show
    1: twice, in the next 24 hours, you may gain a +1 luck bonus on any attack roll.
    2: three times, in the next 24 hours, you may gain a +1 luck bonus on any skill check.
    3: three times, in the next 24 hours, you may gain a +1 luck bonus on any will save.
    4: once, in the next 24 hours, you may gain a +1 luck bonus on any reflex save.

    All of these bonuses are one-use, at will without an action. They can be applied to any rolls after the fact, but before I reveal the results.
    Cade walks into Madame Mvashti's tent with a breezy air, expecting an old lady with long flowing robes and a mysterious demeanor. What he gets is... an old lady with long flowing robes and a mysterious demeanor. I guess some things just aren't that surprising. Cade allows his eyes a moment to adjust to the lower level of ambient light, glinting with a hard spark as they meet the gaze of the seer herself. Taking the seat across from her casually, he waves his hand dismissively. "Why don't we just get on with it, hm?"

    Any skepticism he has is shaken, if not shattered entirely, by the harrowing of the cards.

    The first sequence of cards that are drawn appear to be fairly mundane, and all but disappoint Cade. A pair of hammers and a book? A good cold read and a bit of foreknowledge is all that might be required for such a trick. He's come here dressed as an adventurer, complete with weaponry and a satchel with books and scrolls. Any observant person would be able to read his fortune. This was a waste of money. Although, he muses to himself, it might be worth trying myself one day. The practice itself seems easy enough: given the right circumstances, he suspects that most people would gladly give away their money for good omens. To summarize: I will uncover a great evil, be skilled at my accomplishments, and generally excel as an adventurer. Nothing I didn't already know. He continues to stare straight ahead, unreactive, as he inwardly begins to recite all of the local species of flora and fauna found in the Varisian coastal region.

    Cade only starts engaging in the conversation when Madame Mvashti gasps. Blinking once, he takes stock of the woman's reaction in an effort to ascertain whether or not it's genuine or a part of the act. It takes him a moment to realize he isn't sure either way, and that makes him distinctly uncomfortable. When he finds himself bound to his feet, that's when the first inklings of fear set in. There is real magic here, and it's never unwise to be cautious of the unknown. The crone's own terror inspires a similar reaction in Cade, and he finds himself hanging on every word despite himself. The Red Star? So he will be the agent of a greater doom? As his mind leaps through all of the implications of his fortune, Cade slowly begins to compose himself. After all, there is no longer anything to be afraid of. Either she's lying, or his fate has already been foretold - in all of the stories, any attempt to change the future results in self-fulfilling prophecy. So why worry?

    "Thank you, Madame. It's comforting to know that the universe considers me important enough to be worthy of such an omen. And the name's Caedus Rhineheart. Good day." Despite his flippant exit, he can't help but nearly trip on his feet leaving the space. Catching himself and standing back up, he surveys the bright square of Church Street. Perhaps he is a little bit peckish after all.
    Last edited by 3SecondCultist; 2016-02-02 at 06:07 PM.
    Spoiler: My Profile
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Zeno Desaqqara View Post
    You divine bastard.
    Currently Running:
    - Tales of Neutral Ground
    - Skull & Shackles

    Winner of Total War: Rise of Kingdoms (Ironfang Republic)


    "The philosophers have only interpreted the world in various ways; the point is to change it."

  14. - Top - End - #14
    Dwarf in the Playground
     
    KevSaund's Avatar

    Join Date
    May 2015
    Location
    Texas
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Bink's Rise of the Runelords- IC

    Daegan is disappointed at first that there is so little to eat until the festivities hey into full swing. Since there is little need for him in his current job (everyone is out enjoying themselves) Daegan is free to explore.

    He wanders from stall to stall indecisively. He wants to try everything but cannot stay still long enough to decide where to start. It's only when he comes across the long table where a few are already gathered. He recognizes the Guthrie folk, and the blacksmith but the others are new. It's clear that eating will begin soon, and so with little fanfare he occupies am empty seat. What sort of dish are we expecting? When he is passed the first pepper he eats it without hesitation.

    Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    rolling fort save (1d20+5)[15]

  15. - Top - End - #15
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    Imp

    Join Date
    Aug 2014

    Default Re: Bink's Rise of the Runelords- IC

    The crow begins cackling and snorting extremely loudly, this lasts for a few moments, little flecks of the crows spit hits the man's face in little bursts. After maza is finished laughing he looks around.... seeing the now moist face of the stall owner a bit red, possibly from anger, the bird speaks up oh dear, this one is sorry at the present time... I just heard a joke that will happen about 2 months from now, it was hilarious!!! I will see you in time that is some! the bird slowly shuffles away, inspecting his new trinkets. He eyes the stall owner for a moment, he has a feeling about him.... does he? Maza head is a bit foggy, now eyeing up his new Shiney bone pin. Before leaving the stall, the bird looks back at the owner, giving a deep sniff, trying to smell if any blood was in his direction. And giving him a once over.

    No matter what the outcome, maza meanders out of the game center to the middle of the plaza, going up to one of the food stalls yes hello food giver madam or sir. This one would love some very rare foods, extremely rare, in fact so rare it is still alive.... yes may I have an alive food please? A chicken perhaps? mazas eyes blink out of sync, but the corners of his beak give a genuine smile.

    Spoiler: ooc
    Show

    Edit:.... dang it..... I forgot to post the roll.... I'll do it in the ooc thread
    Last edited by 1Freakinninja; 2016-01-23 at 08:52 PM.

  16. - Top - End - #16
    Titan in the Playground
     
    Farmerbink's Avatar

    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    Texas, again!
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Bink's Rise of the Runelords- IC

    Quote Originally Posted by KevSaund View Post
    What sort of dish are we expecting? When he is passed the first pepper he eats it without hesitation.

    Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    rolling fort save (1d20+2)[14]
    Daegan thuds into a seat, beside Volioker, just as the first peppers are passed out. The stall keeper groans softly at the sight of the burly man, but dutifully rewards him with a pepper, none the less.

    The Dwarf appears completely unfazed by it.

    Quote Originally Posted by Quiver View Post
    Perhaps, I chose the wrong stall...

    Still, she kept her seat, awaiting the next dish.


    "Well done! Well done! Looks like poor Lettie couldn't stand the heat, ya better stay out of the kitchen!" he calls. For several moments, laughter echoes from the gathered watchers, most raucously from the stall keeper himself. "Awright! Next up!" The brawny man reaches beneath the counter, to bring up a small plate of what looks like stewed meat. Whatever it is, it is not appetizing. "Salad Surprise! Eat three bites, just three bites of this delightful concoction, and you'll be on to the final round!" Horran blanches, and his face takes on a pale hue. Meanwhile, Volioker wrinkles his nose.

    The dish is placed on the table, between the four remaining participants. Each is given a spoon. Volioker sniffs the spoonful and almost loses his lunch right there at the table. With a pinched nose, and a daring expression, he tips the spoon back.

    The 'food,' if one can call it that, resembles a horrific cross between a living squid and moss. As slimy strands tickle the inside of your throat, it takes the full measure of your will to live to keep the quivering concoction down.
    Spoiler: moar fortitude saves!
    Show
    (1d20+2)[14] (+3) V vs 13
    (1d20+6)[10] (+4) H vs 13


    Volioker manages three quick spoonfuls, and throws the concoction down like a dirty shot. Eyes wide, he swallows a few more times. Slowly his eyes close, and he opens his mouth in deep belly-level breaths. Otherwise, he seems not worse for wear.

    This time, it's Horran's turn to bail. The sturdy-built farmer flat-out vomits in the grass beside the table. "Oh! Come on, now! At least find a refuse bin! Ugh! MellIIE!" A halfling girl dashes out from behind the cart, and scoops up the vomit into a dish, a comically disturbed expression on her face.

    Horran stumbles away to nurse his stomach, leaving Elicaryn on one side of the table, facing Volioker and Daegan across. The concoction lies between them like a baleful animal, daring them to eat.

  17. - Top - End - #17
    Titan in the Playground
     
    ClericGuy

    Join Date
    May 2011
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Bink's Rise of the Runelords- IC

    The tall, lean figure walked down the street, pratically gliding as he moved. He wore loose clothes, with the hood attached to his tunic thrown back. Blonde hair, practically white, was pulled back tightly, forming a warrior's tail, exposing long, tapered ears procaiming the figures elvish lineage. Fair skin was visible on his arms, neck and face, bright like alabaster, even if it did not seem to burn in the Sandpoint sun. However, the most striking feature on the lithe man was a set of white goggles with dark lenses, hiding his eyes from the world.

    Vintr ignored the stares of the children around him - how could the younger races be expected to temper their obvious lack of worldliness when their lives were so short? Most of these lot would probably never see beyond the borders of Sandpoint, perhaps never even past the outer houses. He would accept their stares, and perhaps in seeing a 'wondrous' site like a snowcaster elf would give them memories they could share with their children, and children's children. Yes, this was a gift to them, and he would not rob them of it. Soon, he began to nod, wave and bow to the folk that passed by. Let their stories at least be kind, least one of his kin come decades later and be treated poorly for Vintr's rudeness.

    The mayor had spoken of food and games, which was good because he was both hungry and anxious to test himself against whatever feats of skill these townsfolk had prepared. In particular, he had heard the name Sorn, a name he remembered was written in his book from Master Volkor. Thinking upon his old master gave him pause, memories flooding back unbidden ....

    _/ _/ _/ _/ _/ _/ _/ _/ _/ _/ _/

    Vintr leaned closely, eyes tight with frustration, confusion, fear and anger. Master Volkor had pulled him to a small storeroom in the back of the monastery. "Wh-what is going on, Master? Why are we not fighting? I-I am ready! I can help you and the others!"

    Volkor ignored Vintr's pleas, looking distractedly around the room as if searching for something. "Acolyte Einarsen, Vintr, it is too late for that. We do not fight because we cannot win. Any others that survive should have fled already, but we are trapped. Fortunately, there is an ... Ah, there it is!"

    Moving to one of the barrels, Volkor grunted as he slid it to the side. Pausing in mid-push, the old master grabbed his side in pain, and his hand came away dark with blood. "Master, you are hurt! How can I-"

    "Again, there is nothing you can do to stop what has already happened. You must leave, before Ariakas finds us, finds you."

    Behind the barrel was a miscolored stone, which Volkor pulled out with effort. Leaning back against the wall, he pointed to the dark hole that the stone hid, a ladder going down. "You, you must go. Head south and don't look back. Take ... Take this with you. It will give you ... People you can trust." Volkor handed him a worn journal, filled with names and places and small notes.

    "But Master, aren't you coming with?" A knowing glance from Volkor answered that question. With a sad smile, the man reached out to pat Vintr' shoulder.

    "You will be great one day ... I wish I could see it, but not in this world. I shall have to wait until I stand at Irori's side. All students must journey forth into the world; you must go forward a little sooner than expected."

    A loud crash from outside the door caught their attention. Banging and shouting got closer, until the door started to rattle. Volkor was already pushing Vintr to the hole. "Run, Snow Cat, run like the wind ..."


    _/ _/ _/ _/ _/ _/ _/ _/ _/ _/ _/

    Vintr stopped walking abruptly, shaking his head free of those memories. They had happened long ago, but still felt fresh. How did humans deal with such things over such a short span? They truly must be stronger than they looked. Sniffing, Vintr turned to see that he had made it to the beach, near the light house.

    "Do you have what it takes to bring down the infamous Sandpoint Devil? Take a shot and see." Blinking, Vintr turned to see Jodar Provolost beckoning on curious bystanders. With a smile, the elf joined the line, ready to see what the true test was, and what that wonderful smell was.

    Once it was his turn, he saw that he must strike a target from fifty paces away, with a longbow. Frowning, he stepped forward, hefting the longbow awkwardly, especially for an elf. Handing over two copper pieces, he smiled to the others. "I shall try my hand at this, bad though it be."

    Spoiler: Attempts
    Show
    Here we go ... Shot 1 - (1d20+1)[3], Shot 2 - (1d20+1)[7]. Making it a longbow definitely favors the martial weapon proficient characters. Surprised they didn't use either crossbows or short bows

    EDIT: Wow, the luck of the dead!


    With a wide grin, he handed back the bow and bowed to Jodar. "As I said, bad indeed. Perhaps I will buy one of those pies later ... Thank you!"

    Heading back to the main portion of town, Vintr found a large gathering cheering for a woman who had apparently won something. Stepping forward, he saw it was a test of strength. Knowing his own sinews were much less mighty than his reflexes, Vintr elected not to hurt himself in trying to lift the weights. But when someone called one of the women Sabyl, he stopped, eyes wide open. Stepping forward to the woman, he bowed his head and introduced himself. "Mistress Sorn, yes? I am a student of Master Volkor ... I was told to pay my respects to a fellow worshiper of Irori, and practitioner of the arts. I am Vintr Einarsen."
    Last edited by Starbin; 2016-01-25 at 01:12 PM.
    Life is ... life. As always bot/cut as necessary.
    DM: "Why do you have so many characters?"
    Me: "Because I never embraced the strategic value of running away."


    Fare thee well, N_R ... you will missed!y

  18. - Top - End - #18
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    Quiver's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jan 2016

    Default Re: Bink's Rise of the Runelords- IC

    It looked jideous, but appearances could be decieving. What looked like seeweed soaked in...whatever-it-was might actually turn out to be the most delicious dish in the world.

    Eilcaryn took the spoon, dug it into the meat, and swallowed.

    It wasn't.

    Spoiler
    Show
    Rolled in the OOC thread, because I couldn't get it to work here. It came up 13


    In fact, it made her want to retch, and only the prospect of it burning her throat on the way back -up- kept it down.

    She glanced at the other's at the table, wrenched her nose, and took two more, rapid bites of the dish.
    Last edited by Quiver; 2016-01-24 at 07:25 AM.

  19. - Top - End - #19
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    WalkingTheShade's Avatar

    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    Smelly cheese land

    Default Re: Bink's Rise of the Runelords- IC

    The retired knight
    Quote Originally Posted by Farmerbink View Post
    "If you'll excuse me? Enjoy your day!"
    "You too, miss. Don't let this mayoral thing with these boring men get to you too much. Promise me you'll find some time to enjoy the festival!" Niccomo wears half a sardonic smile.

    Niccomo goes towards Ameiko's. "Did I hear "curry-spiced recipe"? You know it's my favorite, girl! I just talked to the mayor, and she told me to tell you to bring right now the hundred fish for that banquet with all these dull notables. She seemed worried you might have forgotten about the order! You know how she is when she's upset, our mayor?" Niccomo waits a moment to read the young woman's reaction on her face.
    Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    Bluff: [roll0]
    Sense motive: [roll1]
    Gdrsfkdsngdskqfd... rolling in the OOC.
    Bluff: 14
    Sense motive: 9
    "Don't worry, just a bad joke. I actually need only three portions. One for an old man with an even older sense of humor, one for a woman to busy to fetch it herself, and one for a nasty bribe. Is that possible? All my thanks, dear!"

    After getting the fish, Niccomo searches for a couple kids he knows. "You there, kiddos, you're nice kids, aren't you? Want to help an old man whose knees hurt? That fish is for you. That one's for the mayor. Be nice kids and bring it to her. And most vital to this important quest, don't tell her I'm the one gave it to you, all clear?"

    Niccomo goes around the festival while eating his second salmon of the day. He greats neighbors, former pupils and acquaintances. But no friend, there's no one he can really call friend, after ten years here. They all have their lives, their families, their responsabilities, all ties that bind them. They have their roots in Sandpoint. Whereas Niccomo just washed on the beach like driftwood. Hell, his own tunic is color of driftwood... maybe he should take it as a sigil? Driftwood of brown on coat of dull grey. Yet, Niccomo doesn't feel lonely. It's a nice place to grow old in, and had he to do the sums, there's no reason he deserves it. He goes from stall to stall, looking at younger people playing their games, cheering each other.

    He goes from stall to stall, leaving the young to their fun and games. He's happy just to watch in silence. Deverin is right, this year is the most succesful Swallowtail he's ever seen. There are even costumed people around. Is that a real elf at the table? She must be disguised as that bedroom rodeo goddess, what's her name... And that crow costume is the best. To bad there's no costume contest. He should talk to Deverin about it. He approaches the person in the crow costume: "Hello friend! Congratulations on your costume. It's the best I've ever seen! Really lifelike, must have taken hours to make!"
    Last edited by WalkingTheShade; 2016-01-24 at 02:58 PM.
    'Jernau Gurgeh', the machine said, making a sighing noise, 'a guilty system recognises no innocents. … The very way you think places you amongst its enemies. … Prevarication will be more difficult than you might imagine; neutrality is probably impossible. You cannot choose not to have the politics you do; they are not some separate set of entities somehow detachable from the rest of your being; they are a function of your existence. I know that and they know that; you had better accept it.'

  20. - Top - End - #20
    Dwarf in the Playground
     
    KevSaund's Avatar

    Join Date
    May 2015
    Location
    Texas
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Bink's Rise of the Runelords- IC

    Quote Originally Posted by Farmerbink View Post



    "Well done! Well done! Looks like poor Lettie couldn't stand the heat, ya better stay out of the kitchen!" he calls. For several moments, laughter echoes from the gathered watchers, most raucously from the stall keeper himself. "Awright! Next up!" The brawny man reaches beneath the counter, to bring up a small plate of what looks like stewed meat. Whatever it is, it is not appetizing. "Salad Surprise! Eat three bites, just three bites of this delightful concoction, and you'll be on to the final round!" Horran blanches, and his face takes on a pale hue. Meanwhile, Volioker wrinkles his nose.
    Daegan looks down at the plate. It's smaller than he might have liked, especially after that measly pepper, but it looked like this was going to be one of those multi-course situations. He waves away the proffered spoon, pulling out his own, a larger relative of what the others are using. "A dwarf must always be prepared," he chuckles. Wanting to be polite, he waits for the others to take their three bites, Daegan want's the option for a fourth bite in case he develops a taste for it.

    Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    Fort save (1d20+5)[22]

  21. - Top - End - #21
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    Imp

    Join Date
    Aug 2014

    Default Re: Bink's Rise of the Runelords- IC

    Maza, now adorned with a fishbonel hairpin. Sits by the food stall waiting for his potential chicken when a strange old man began complementing his costume, the raven was about to flaunt his glorious new article of clothing when he saw the person, something about him.... was .... different.... than the others he had seen... the bird mouth gaped open his tongue licking around his beak, he eyed the old man up and down, trying to make sense as to what was so.... something about him, maza without saying anything, got up and began to circle the gentleman. yes yes hello this one is fabulous this Is known, may I have name of human man talking to me now please? he offers the old man the candy he had won as a sign of peace trade now please,candy for words? *cough* and some of your hair * cough*

  22. - Top - End - #22
    Titan in the Playground
     
    3SecondCultist's Avatar

    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    UK
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Bink's Rise of the Runelords- IC

    Several long minutes of wandering the crowded opening lead Cade to the unremarkable conclusion that the people of Sandpoint are, indeed, quite dull. With the noted exception of Madame Mvashti, nobody here as of yet has piqued the boy's interest. Absentmindedly, he stares out at the ruin of the Old Light. It is quite a marvel, and one of the reasons he's stopped in this backwater in the first place. Cade resolves to investigate the site when the celebrations are over. If, by some miracle, something manages to capture his attention before this is all over, hopefully it will have been worth it.

    And then, as he walks around a bit more, his miracle happens. The woman - or whatever she is - is in the midst of what is clearly some kind of bliss. There are several men patting her on the back, and she bears the distinct signs of exertion: quicker breaths, a slight sheen of sweat, and increased pupil dilation. She's beautiful, he supposes. But it is her intricate inkwork and strange ruddy skin that intrigues him. A unique specimen for this climate. Quickly, Cade starts to rummage around in his bag until he produces a spare piece of parchment and some of his special colorless ink. That will do nicely. As several of the others begin to take their leave, he starts a new heading. Over the course of several weeks of practice, he's become quite adept at reading the lines of his notebooks and ensuring that his handwriting is both neat and legible, despite its invisible nature.

    Specimen 003 - Unknown

    The specimen appears to be a member of the 'suli-jann' race, a descendant of mortals and jinn. Clearly a female, she carries both the outward strength and natural attractiveness that are characteristic of a suli. Having already proven herself in what appears to be a contest of strength - one of the many banalities of Sandpoint today - she appears to have earned the admiration of several of its males. There are already distinct signs of attraction from no less than three passers-by, leading to the suggestion that either the people of this town are unduly enamored by heroic feats, or that her unique heritage gives her a distinct advantage when it comes to courtship with fellow mortals. Observation would appear to favor the latter, although it could be too soon to tell.

    Must inquire further. Perhaps a personal interaction?


    Cade writes quite openly in the middle of the crowd, likely inviting several odd stares from passers-by, and most likely attracting the attention of the outsider he is currently documenting.

    Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    I'm making a Knowledge (Planes) check to see if Cade knows what a Suli is. I can add Inspiration for free on Knowledge checks, so I'll be adding 1d6 if it's a near failure. It's either a DC 10 or DC 11, I believe.

    Knowledge (Planes): (1d20+8)[16]
    Last edited by 3SecondCultist; 2016-01-24 at 01:00 PM.
    Spoiler: My Profile
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Zeno Desaqqara View Post
    You divine bastard.
    Currently Running:
    - Tales of Neutral Ground
    - Skull & Shackles

    Winner of Total War: Rise of Kingdoms (Ironfang Republic)


    "The philosophers have only interpreted the world in various ways; the point is to change it."

  23. - Top - End - #23
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    WalkingTheShade's Avatar

    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    Smelly cheese land

    Default Re: Bink's Rise of the Runelords- IC

    The retired knight
    Quote Originally Posted by 1Freakinninja View Post
    trade now please,candy for words? *cough* and some of your hair * cough*
    Niccomo frowns in confusion, trying to make sense of what's happening, before bursting out with laughter... When he manages to calm it down: "... got me here... you... haha... you must be one of those, how do you call yourselves? acters? comedics? the ones at Cyrdak's theatre? You're dressed as that harpy of whatnot? I must compliment you on that cantrip for the tongue and beak, hadn't I ever seen an illusion spell I'd believe it... wait, wait..." Niccomo then whispers, hiding his mouth his hand, approching with a conspirational air and a wink: "I know, I have to acter my part, right? For the kids watching us."

    Adopting a grave composure, Niccomo clears his throat, and starts with a deep and louder voice. "Here I am, foul beast. I shall give thee what hair I have, yet not from a pate so nefariously bald," knocking the top of his skull, "neither from a bottom only marginally hairyer," slapping his buttocks, "but from my own heart valiant yet so very hopelessly furry." He opens his tunic and winces when he tears white hair from his breast. "For I am Niccomo, old and retired teacher, and know that I shall protect, with my last breath, the grand people of Sandpoint from thy putrid skullduggery! Speak thyne words! Give your oracle! Lest I stun you with my mad gibbering, tie your ears together and send thee to the moon! I fear thee not, sir harpy calamitous!"

    Niccomo passes the few hair to the disguised person, then bows to whoever stop to listen to his impromptu role playing, all the while wondering if the costume has actual ears or not.
    Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    Roll to see if Niccomo's performance has attracted more than the couple kids near the stand at that time.
    Charisma (1d20+4)[14]
    Last edited by WalkingTheShade; 2016-01-24 at 02:10 PM.
    'Jernau Gurgeh', the machine said, making a sighing noise, 'a guilty system recognises no innocents. … The very way you think places you amongst its enemies. … Prevarication will be more difficult than you might imagine; neutrality is probably impossible. You cannot choose not to have the politics you do; they are not some separate set of entities somehow detachable from the rest of your being; they are a function of your existence. I know that and they know that; you had better accept it.'

  24. - Top - End - #24
    Bugbear in the Playground
    Join Date
    Aug 2012

    Default Re: Bink's Rise of the Runelords- IC

    As ever, victory lights its own fire within Akmiz Zova's heart, whether the challenge be physical or mental, real or perceived, within or without. She lets the triumphant sensation wash through her and fill up her being, soaking it up with ever bit of flesh she had. When it reaches its zentih and she knows it will start receding to only a warm glow deep in her stomach instead, she focuses for a moment, capturing her state of being and arresting it just to hold on to the feeling for a few moments more. She turns to observe the crowd after her feat slowly, a brilliant smile blazing across her features. When she has seen all of their stunned faces, she returns her gaze to Sabyl and breathes deeply. She almost feels like she could dance if there was music, but she knows there will be time for that later at the bonfire. Then the especially brave amid the onlookers step forward, all hard slaps and hearty congratulations. Her senses are assaulted on several sides by praise and questions.

    "How did you get to be so strong?"

    "Are you here to try out for Hagfish?"

    "Where did you come from? I've never seen you here before!"

    She no longer has to hold the moment within herself for the burning beauty has returned on its own. She answers honestly what she can while asking questions of her own, "My people showed me well."

    "What's Hagfish?"

    "I'm from the Cinderlands."

    These people all seem well-meaning enough. There is no reason to hide herself from them. However, even as she does her best to remain polite and happy, she follows her own agenda within. If these people were the only ones interested in her accomplishment, she would need to search elsewhere for a companion for the festival. This one is but a child, barely old enough to realize he ought to shave. That one is quite plain, though exceedingly well-mannered. Still such would not provide an ample impetus for a fiery experience. The last seems too innocent to have any ulterior motives in mind for their approaching her. As she begins to excuse herself, Akmiz Zova looks around for another assembled throng of onlookers and whatever event they may be spectating.

    Spoiler: Roll
    Show
    Perception: (1d20+5)[23]

    Her eye catches on something, rather someone, a bit peculiar to be found among the hustle and bustle of the day's proceedings. A man stands stock still in the flowing crowd around him. He's staring at her with the most gorgeous set of eyes she's seen in quite some time, possibly ever, though he doesn't seem to notice she's caught on to him. A moment later he looks down. Following his gaze, she spies him jotting something down on the page of a book before his eyes flick up to her again, then back down. The friendly smile she wears shrinks down to a knowing grin and a mirthful leer. "A writer!" she thinks to herself. She'd never been someone's creative inspiration before, but the mere thought is flattering. Though the rest of the man's features seem a bit plain, she finds enough beauty in his eyes and whatever flatteries he must surely be writing about her to want to want to approach him.

    She lets herself be held up by another question until she sees his head turned down once again, then makes her move. In just a few of her long, swift strides, she is standing before the man, whom she finds to be a few inches taller than herself. She also spies the various accouterments of a fellow adventurer. "How exciting!" Waiting until he pauses in his writing to consider something more carefully, Akmiz Zova hooks a single finger over the top edge of the book, onto his open page and firmly pushes down to get his attention. "Those who make art often pay women to stand around for them. What makes you think you are different?"
    Last edited by Amazo; 2016-01-25 at 06:54 PM.
    Yves Talbot, bard extraordinaire, avatar by Ishmi and the King's Men on Facebook.

  25. - Top - End - #25
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    Imp

    Join Date
    Aug 2014

    Default Re: Bink's Rise of the Runelords- IC

    Maza handles the hair with great care, placing it into a safe place in his coat, he gazes at the performance, this man... Maza thought.... HE MUST KNOW OF THE HAPPENING!!!!! the bird bows at the man's feet, in awe of his existence Yes!!!! Finally after so many years!!! The happening is to begin! You! You are the first of many. Please wait to begin fate! I am measly the messanger! Oh god of games, writer of fare! Thank you finally the happening will begin! the mad bird is practically foaming at the mouth with exitement, he begins looking around, trying to find if there are others of the chosen. But no, no you fool maza thought, focus on the teacher! The bird tried desperately to contain his exitement, but it proved useless, at the end of the speech, maza let out a screech, long and enduring, he did not end it for a good 30 seconds, after which he was out of breath. please, wise and Noble teacher, take me with you! We must hurry, I fear that the happening will be upon us soon! from mazas bag he pulls out a hourglass, the sand inside begins to pour down I believe... when these sands fall.... the hungers.... in my vision the hungers will come, is it? It's hazy, my visions! But now we have a hero! Yes yes yes!!! Quick! We must prepare! with that, maza shoves the candy into the older man's hands and drags him away with him, now frantically searching for others that may be what he seeks, maza, niccomo in tow, begins walking up to complete strangers and sniffing them, staring at them, and in the case of one unfortunate dwarf, licking them.

  26. - Top - End - #26
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    Quiver's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jan 2016

    Default Re: Bink's Rise of the Runelords- IC

    Eilcaryn couldn't help it. When she saw the dwarf whip out his spoon, she laughed...then winced, pressing a hand to her throat and instantly regretting it.

    "Artist needs their tools," she noted. Her voice was a croak, but she resisted the urge to drink, drumming the table with a had to distract herself.

    Another reason to talk, really. Getting to know the competitors would be nice anyway, but a distraction from the burn was essential.

    "And you seem to appreciate this art, brother."
    Last edited by Quiver; 2016-01-24 at 06:18 PM.

  27. - Top - End - #27
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    WalkingTheShade's Avatar

    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    Smelly cheese land

    Default Re: Bink's Rise of the Runelords- IC

    The would-be acter
    Niccomo is at first astonished by the costumed man's acting. When the man starts screeching, he first snickers, trying not to break character. As the man continues screeching, Niccomo bends to wherever he guesses the costume's ear holes must be and mumbles: "it's still an act, right? 'Cause you might be convincing me you're really hurt..."

    When the man in the harpy costume forces that sticky candy with bits of feather in Niccomo's hand, the latter is for a second tempted to give an aggrieved response but... heaven, it's festival day or not? Let's go with it. "Destiny calls! We must leave at once!"

    "Psssstt, not so fast, boy, my knees aren't what they used to no more. Where are you dragging me? The theater's not that way!" The acter is quite bold, and does not seem to fear offending people. However, Niccomo feels he should do something to help people understand it's actually all just a joke. He grabs a leek from a nearby food stall and as the disguised acter sniffs people, Niccomo beats him on the head with the vegetable: "back, thee foul beast harpy! I, chevalier Niccomo de le Leek Verdant will banish you!" Niccomo however stops near the licked dwarf: "sorry for the lick, not the vegetable, I mean the tongue thing, but don't worry it's an illusionary tongue, not a real one, he's some kind of disguised mummer... with huh... some not real but magic... huh... tongue?" Niccomo gives up and follows the acter while laughing his guts out. Best Swallowtail ever!

    "Aren't you..." Niccomo pants, "don't you get too hot running around under all those feathers? You must be a sweaty mess under all this..."
    Last edited by WalkingTheShade; 2016-01-24 at 05:07 PM. Reason: Neither leak nor lick but leek with two Es
    'Jernau Gurgeh', the machine said, making a sighing noise, 'a guilty system recognises no innocents. … The very way you think places you amongst its enemies. … Prevarication will be more difficult than you might imagine; neutrality is probably impossible. You cannot choose not to have the politics you do; they are not some separate set of entities somehow detachable from the rest of your being; they are a function of your existence. I know that and they know that; you had better accept it.'

  28. - Top - End - #28
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    Imp

    Join Date
    Aug 2014

    Default Re: Bink's Rise of the Runelords- IC

    Yes oh mighty teacher of the ways!!!!we must act! Still act we must now going! maza says aloud. His eyes have gone cubish out if pure maddness, resembling a strange for of mulitsided die. When nicco mentions that they were going the wrong way, he stops dead in his tracks... it must be a message, a sign! AHHH!!! How foolish could this old bird be! the theater! Wise teacher knows the way, running bad, shall leave us tired for the happening, we all must be ready!!! with a very lax movements, maza slowly moves to match the wise man's speed. When nicco begins beating maza with the leek, ahh! Forgive me oh mighty choose one! I uderstand the signs now! The others, they are at the theater yes? We must go! maza then takes the leek, and like a divining rod, splits the crowd make way, one of the choose has been found, we go to find the others maza smiles at the term hot mess yes,I am a hot mess good choosen! But I am finally a hot mess that has been proven right!

  29. - Top - End - #29
    Titan in the Playground
     
    3SecondCultist's Avatar

    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    UK
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Bink's Rise of the Runelords- IC

    The specimen appears to enjoy a sort of confidence in social scenarios. Such traits are likely due to a self-conscious perceived increase in social standing due to bodily strength and natural features, and will only build over time. It also seems to enjoy better than average per- Cade stops writing as the reddish finger touches his book. Snatching it away with a speed that seems to belie his wiry stature, he quickly blows on the ink to adjust its course. Thankfully, she's only smudged a little bit of it.

    "What is it you think you're doing?" His voice is also surprisingly deep for anyone who saw a young man with the build of a librarian and assumed it would be reedy-thin. "Do you have any idea how much it costs to write in such materials?" He mutters something about correcting the mistake, leaving his book open in one hand and taking a step back from the encroaching suli. She'd seen him, obviously. A rookie mistake, standing in the open like that. But then again, he had been looking for a closer interaction. Still, he can't abide his entries being disorderly. He'll have to go over it again later. For now, there's still someone watching him expectantly, and Cade finds himself feeling increasingly on edge. Still, there's a way he can use his irritation to his advantage. His blue eyes blaze with a calculated fury.

    "You know, I'd heard about the stifled intellect of half-breeds such as yourselves, but I'd never have thought to see it in such proximity before. Tell me, is there a modicum of intelligence in your placid little mind, or do you just blunder around doing whatever suits your fancy? Well?"
    Last edited by 3SecondCultist; 2016-01-24 at 04:53 PM.
    Spoiler: My Profile
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Zeno Desaqqara View Post
    You divine bastard.
    Currently Running:
    - Tales of Neutral Ground
    - Skull & Shackles

    Winner of Total War: Rise of Kingdoms (Ironfang Republic)


    "The philosophers have only interpreted the world in various ways; the point is to change it."

  30. - Top - End - #30
    Bugbear in the Playground
    Join Date
    Aug 2012

    Default Re: Bink's Rise of the Runelords- IC

    The woman's mouth falls open for a few seconds in disbelief as each new sentence from the stranger brings with it more unfamiliar terms and more insults. She understands everything she needs, however, from just his tone, his bearing, and his countenance. A few things stand out to her even through her rising anger: he somehow knows about her true heritage from her father and he is woefully single-minded. As the efreeti blood coursing through her system brings a near-burning red hue to her complexion, she decides that this will be a tough case to crack open, if she is capable of it at all. She responds in kind with as informed a retort as she can manage, "Your mind of me is already made, but I must say that it is strange and closed for one so well-read. There is much to learn from the company of others strange to you, though you try so hard not to have it. If you can force yourself to think about this in a different way, I think there is much we can both learn from a night of giving each other our stories."

    She does not hold her breathe for a positive reply from the haughty young man before her, but her curiosity about what exactly he knows of her father's kind and her mental self-discipline stay her tongue from inciting things further.
    Last edited by Amazo; 2016-01-25 at 07:27 PM.
    Yves Talbot, bard extraordinaire, avatar by Ishmi and the King's Men on Facebook.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •