New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 13 of 18 FirstFirst ... 3456789101112131415161718 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #361
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: [3.5/PF] GitP Regulars as Domains And Domain Feats

Quote Originally Posted by NeoPhoenix0 View Post
    If i remember correctly dnd used to be about law v chaos where chaos was very clearly wrong.
    BCEMI had 3 Alignments Lawful (read good/group oriented), Neutral, and Chaos (read evil/selfish backstabber).

Quote Originally Posted by Xuldarinar View Post
    I think Michael Moorcock can be thanked for inspiring that, to some degree anyways.
    Wait... What happened to my avatar? Oh well.

Imagine if D&D/Pathfinder focused far more on Law vs Chaos, so much so that Proteans, Azata, and Demons cooperated when faced with Devils, Archon, and Inevitables?
    Canonically at least until 4e Devils and Demons are having an eternal war and this whole Good v Evil thing is secondary as far as creatures on the Outer Planes are concerned, it's a concern of mortals on the Prime. Archons have been known to send armies to help the Baatezu, supply them with a steady flow of demon-slaying weapons, and even turn a blind eye to their shenanigans on Prime worlds for this reason. Eladrins go out and assassinate Baatezu to help the Tanar'ri. As far as the Outer Planes are concerned it is a world of Law vs Chaos.

And it goes back further than Moorcock, he stole it from Poul Anderson, and Poul Anderson's sources were probably real world myths (he translated sagas in addition to being a big name in early fantasy and one of Gygax's admitted sources of inspiration specifically mentioned for alignments) and seriously I could probably write a big thing about the theme of Law v Chaos in Norse, Greek, and Egyptian mythology, touching lightly on chaos in Summerian mythology, but hands are tied. Short version is most* myths Order = Good, Chaos = Bad but ultimately the root of existence.

*Of those listed this isn't true in one of the 4 to my admittedly limited knowledge.
    Peanut Half-Dragon Necromancer by Kurien.

Current Projects:

Group: The Harrowing Halloween Harvest of Horror Part 2

Personal Silliness: Vote what Soulknife "Fix"/Inspired Class Should I make??? Past Work Expansion Caricatures.

Old: My homebrew (updated 9/9)

2. - Top - End - #362
    Bugbear in the Playground

Without chaos the universe cannot function. It will simply stagnate an become a very boring place, devoid of life. It will simply exist with no choice, the only movement from automated structures and constructs.
    Well... yeah. This is what "functioning" means to a Modron. To us it's hell, of course.

In case I haven't made it clear : I didn't say that pure Law was better than pure Chaos. We need both of those, but in reasonable proportions.
    My True Neutral Handbook, a resource for creating and playing TN characters.

Check out my extended signature and the "Gitp regulars as..." that I've been honored with!

3. - Top - End - #363
    Colossus in the Playground

And onto another domain.

Who's the lucky individual today?

Emperor Tippy! YAYYYY!

Tippyverse domain

Granted power. You create traps at half price.

1 Silent image
    2 Rope trick
    3 Create food and water
    4 Minor creation
    5 Fabricate
    6 Wall of salt
    7 Teleport greater
    8 Polymorph any object
    9 Teleportation circle

Tippyverse devotion

Granted benefit. Once per day, you may recall an already cast spell, and regain the ability to cast it again.
    Quote Originally Posted by Deme View Post
    One day, we must all have our characters butchered by romhacks face our ends.

Won as Good Mayans on a science victory GMR 4. Won as Sweden on a science victory GMR 7. Won as Desert England on a concession victory GMR 8 Lost as Poland in GMR 3. Lost as Japan in GMR 5, Surrendered as Korea in GMR 10. Surrendered as Bad Maya in GMR 11, Lost as Shoshone in GMR 13.

4. - Top - End - #364
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Seto View Post
    Well... yeah. This is what "functioning" means to a Modron. To us it's hell, of course.

In case I haven't made it clear : I didn't say that pure Law was better than pure Chaos. We need both of those, but in reasonable proportions.
    Yeah, pure chaos sucks. Everything ends up becoming completely uniform as a result of it so it kind of defeats itself. That is why you need organized chaos.

Extended signature (Includes Giantitp regulars as... links, avatar showcase, homebrew, and other stuff.)
    Current avatar by me

5. - Top - End - #365
    Ogre in the Playground

Yeah, pure chaos sucks. Everything ends up becoming completely uniform as a result of it so it kind of defeats itself. That is why you need organized chaos.
    I just stopped in to point out that is both an oxymoron and completely accurate (at least, in context).
    Dark Red, the Voice of the Dragon

Extended Signature Link

Quote Originally Posted by Quiver View Post
    How much terrain does the forty foot long, flying, fire breathing lizard which may or may not have magic consider its domain?

As much as it god damn wants.

6. - Top - End - #366
    Firbolg in the Playground

Chaos always defeats order. It is better organized.

7. - Top - End - #367
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Marlowe View Post
    Chaos always defeats order. It is better organized.
    In D&D this may be true, Orcus did almost completely destroy the iconic race of Law leaving it in disorganized shambles and civil war, and the slaad lords maintain near absolute control over the slaad so at least at the beginning of 3.0 Chaos was better organized than Order.

Current Projects:

Personal Silliness: Vote what Soulknife "Fix"/Inspired Class Should I make??? Past Work Expansion Caricatures.

8. - Top - End - #368

Oooh, I think I finally get what you mean. I'd argue that it's not the same "uniformity". Pure Chaos is infinite diversity in the form of indifferentiation (a big soup with infinite ingredients, if you will), while pure Law is a finite and definite Oneness.
    But yeah, even life itself and the permanence of individual beings is a departure from pure Chaos and a concession to Law. So in the end I guess we agree on that. My original point was just that Slaadi are not so badly written

Quote Originally Posted by Zaydos
    In D&D this may be true, Orcus did almost completely destroy the iconic race of Law leaving it in disorganized shambles and civil war, and the slaad lords maintain near absolute control over the slaad so at least at the beginning of 3.0 Chaos was better organized than Order.
    The Slaad Lords are not Lords in any Lawful sense (command and allegiance), though. They're just powerful beings who directly exert their will on lesser beings. At least that's how I understand it. But I don't know 3.0 well, only 3.5.
    My True Neutral Handbook, a resource for creating and playing TN characters.

Check out my extended signature and the "Gitp regulars as..." that I've been honored with!

9. - Top - End - #369

Spoiler: SCHGLITCH
    Show

10. - Top - End - #370
    Troll in the Playground

Oooh, I think I finally get what you mean. I'd argue that it's not the same "uniformity". Pure Chaos is infinite diversity in the form of indifferentiation (a big soup with infinite ingredients, if you will), while pure Law is a finite and definite Oneness.
    But yeah, even life itself and the permanence of individual beings is a departure from pure Chaos and a concession to Law. So in the end I guess we agree on that. My original point was just that Slaadi are not so badly written
    Imagine the end destination of a universe that becomes pure law or chaos.

Law:
    the universe becomes an unchanging museum there is little to no change in anything. If a person walked into such a world they would experience a practically silent ghost town of a universe yet nothing would have changed from before law took over. The only change is nothing changes.

Chaos:
    everything changes all the time. Therefore entropy is constantly increasing overall, especially when you factor in the destructive side of chaos. This leads to the universe becoming uniform. gradually all the change will cancel itself out and the universe will get uniform temperature and density. This will be an early heat death. It is chaos own nature to lead to its self destruction.

This is a completely different outcome than law but inevitably the universe is handed over to law slowly until it collapses on itself.
    Last edited by NeoPhoenix0; 2016-01-30 at 09:53 AM.

Extended signature (Includes Giantitp regulars as... links, avatar showcase, homebrew, and other stuff.)
    Current avatar by me

11. - Top - End - #371
    Titan in the Playground

The Slaad Lords are not Lords in any Lawful sense (command and allegiance), though. They're just powerful beings who directly exert their will on lesser beings. At least that's how I understand it. But I don't know 3.0 well, only 3.5.
    One it was mostly going along with a joke

More seriously 3.0/3.5 has 1 mention of them that I am aware of in the Manual of the Planes (they tinkered with the spawning stone limiting the slaad forms), it is still more control over the slaad than the modrons at the beginning of 3.0 (total, senseless civil war). I mean the slaad lords applied a lasting leash to the slaad to maintain their power. The modrons have one of the 4 secondi splitting off a hunk of their race to fight the rest because it turned evil.

Oh yeah there was an LE Secundus, almost destroyed the species. We can blame the Orcus dies and is reborn modules (I need to play those at some point because, condensing what I've heard about them by the guy who wrote most of Planescape: Great adventures, awesome to play, but they should never have become part of the canon metaplot).

I am more likely to run a game where you are agents of a traitorous Lord of the Nine and the final showdown would involve destroying a powerful avatar of Asmodeus and some macguffin magic to help your lord over throw Asmodeus.

Current Projects:

12. - Top - End - #372

Spoiler: Unleash the puns!
    Show

13. - Top - End - #373

*BUMP?*
    Spoiler: THIS IS NOT A DRILL!!!
    Show

I LIED!!!

14. - Top - End - #374

Hey Snow, you should update the OP with my sweeps.
    If purple is evil, bold gray is lawful good.

Extended Signature & Homebrew Signature

Check out my Celestial Compendium!

15. - Top - End - #375

BardGuy

I don't even know who's left after Zaydos went on a creation bender.
    See my Extended Signature for my list of silly shenanigans.

Anyone is welcome to use or critique my 3.5 Fighter homebrew: The Vanguard.

I am a Dungeon Master for Hire that creates custom content for people and programs d20 content for the HeroLab character system. Please donate to my Patreon and visit the HeroLab forums.

16. - Top - End - #376

NecromancerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by illyahr View Post
    *Waves* There are a few of us so-called regulars still around under the permapermissions flag.
    Iron Chef in the Playground veteran since Round IV. Play as me!

Spoiler
    Show

17. - Top - End - #377
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by illyahr View Post
    Amphetryon would be the one person who has posted in this thread who is left iirc.

And yeah the permapermission thread.

Or you could double up on someone, show your version of an IZ or Ilven domain.

Current Projects:

18. - Top - End - #378
    Ogre in the Playground

I'm sorry Zaydos, I wanted to make a domain for you, but I wasn't sure how to go about it ;-;
    Spoiler: Quotes!
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Elricaltovilla View Post
    I always thought understanding Scottish required a fort save vs. Alcohol poisoning.
    Quote Originally Posted by Twelve.five
    Hipsterdin- Smiting Heathens before it was cool.
    Quote Originally Posted by Elricaltovilla
    See, this wouldn't happen if you were a Zweihander Sentinel Warder with Silver Crane. You'd have a 60 ft. fly speed with good maneuverability, DR and glowing pants as early as level 8.

Pink is Neutral Evil, because reasons.

Exalted Monk Avatar by ThePrez1776

19. - Top - End - #379
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by IZ42 View Post
    I'm sorry Zaydos, I wanted to make a domain for you, but I wasn't sure how to go about it ;-;
    Don't sweat it.

Though now that you've got me thinking about it myself, there's the obvious way (Homebrew) which is what my go to reaction would be, and which Draconium did.

There's also the dragon fixation, and I apparently have a thing for necrobotany, and druidry. I mean I've chosen an undead part plant dragon which casts druid spells in addition to wizard spells as my representative mask avatar. Or else if you remember some trivia from around these threads my favorite class features are Familiar and Animal Companion (the Familiar Domain was very much me, the writer/player). Then there's that I apparently have a thing for vestiges, I'm sure something could be done with that, but not the best for a domain (I have made ... 3? base classes that involve vestiges, and um... 50 vestiges counting the Hitchhiker's Guide which for some reason isn't in my sig). I really have a thing for Binders it seems It might be possible to capitalize on my love of the Inner Planes with an Inner Planes domain... that should exist in general... hmm...

Edit: Ooh, I'm also arrogant with a side of contemptuous jerk at times. I mean I try to pull it back but an Arrogance Domain could be a fun take.
    Last edited by Zaydos; 2016-02-01 at 06:02 PM.

Current Projects:

20. - Top - End - #380
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by LoyalPaladin View Post
    Hey Snow, you should update the OP with my sweeps.
    Nonsense. Why would anyone do that?
    Avatar of Rudisplork Avatar of PC-dom and Slayer of the Internet. Extended sig
    GitP Regulars as: Vestiges Spells Weapons Races Deities Feats Soulmelds/Veils
    Quote Originally Posted by Darrin View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Snowbluff View Post
    All gaming systems should be terribly flawed and exploitable if you want everyone to be happy with them. This allows for a wide variety of power levels for games for different levels of players.
    I dub this the Snowbluff Axiom.

21. - Top - End - #381
    Troll in the Playground

Raisins...

Current avatar by me

22. - Top - End - #382
    Ogre in the Playground

Raisins...
    ... And that's why you're Chaotic.

Extended Signature Link

How much terrain does the forty foot long, flying, fire breathing lizard which may or may not have magic consider its domain?

23. - Top - End - #383
    Titan in the Playground

*pauses from making a Chaos based class to check thread*

Interesting.

Current Projects:

24. - Top - End - #384
    Troll in the Playground

I don't understand why people are making a big deal out of raisins.

Current avatar by me

25. - Top - End - #385
    Ogre in the Playground

Whats this about Craisins?

26. - Top - End - #386

Raisins are much-maligned and harmless. Sultanas, on the other hand, are abominations.
    Spoiler: Just what you wanted!
    Show

Lots of close-ups of Sarissa. That's what everyone wanted. Right?

Next time this thread, or the next one, slows down I'm making Sailor dolls for ALL of you.

27. - Top - End - #387

I mean... I could just not sweep the threads anymore...

28. - Top - End - #388
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Marlowe View Post
    Next time this thread, or the next one, slows down I'm making Sailor dolls for ALL of you.
    I would pay to see that.1

I feel almost compelled to do "GitP Regulars as Theme Songs" just to break up the quiet, but that could go to an unpleasant place fairly quickly.

1 I would not.

EDIT: Side note, Snow, you really need to reopen that anime thread. Got a bunch of new recs. Short form is my new friend.
    Last edited by Red Fel; 2016-02-03 at 10:39 AM.
    My headache medicine has a little "Ex" inscribed on the pill. It's not a brand name; it's an indicator that it works inside an Anti-Magic Field.

Blue text means sarcasm. Purple text means evil. White text is invisible.

My signature got too big for its britches. So now it's over here!

29. - Top - End - #389

Quote Originally Posted by Red Fel View Post
    I feel almost compelled to do "GitP Regulars as Theme Songs" just to break up the quiet, but that could go to an unpleasant place fairly quickly.
    GitP has been fairly quiet lately...

30. - Top - End - #390
    Ogre in the Playground

I don't understand why people are making a big deal out of raisins.
    But... but... Raisins are the essence of chaos!

*goes onto long, rambling, nonsensical rant about dried fruit and alignment*

Quote Originally Posted by LoyalPaladin View Post
    GitP has been fairly quiet lately...
    I've noticed... I've just been sort of hanging around, waiting for a new thread to pop up.

Extended Signature Link