New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 15 of 18 FirstFirst ... 56789101112131415161718 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #421
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: [3.5/PF] GitP Regulars as Domains And Domain Feats

I would also suggest The Dragon and the George by Gordon R. Dickson. The movie The Flight of Dragons was based on two books The Dragon and the George and The Flight of Dragons, the latter they got the name, the protagonist's name, and the biology, the former they got the characters, and a fair bit of the premise.

That's not to say they're the same story (The Flight of Dragons is much more child oriented and bittersweet, The Dragon and the George is a fantasy novel from somebody who you can tell wrote sci-fi*).

*This is not an insult to its quality. Most all the best fantasy authors except Tolkien wrote sci-fi.
    Peanut Half-Dragon Necromancer by Kurien.

Current Projects:

Group: The Harrowing Halloween Harvest of Horror Part 2

Personal Silliness: Vote what Soulknife "Fix"/Inspired Class Should I make??? Past Work Expansion Caricatures.

Old: My homebrew (updated 9/9)

2. - Top - End - #422
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Zaydos View Post
    I would also suggest The Dragon and the George by Gordon R. Dickson. The movie The Flight of Dragons was based on two books The Dragon and the George and The Flight of Dragons, the latter they got the name, the protagonist's name, and the biology, the former they got the characters, and a fair bit of the premise.

That's not to say they're the same story (The Flight of Dragons is much more child oriented and bittersweet, The Dragon and the George is a fantasy novel from somebody who you can tell wrote sci-fi*).

*This is not an insult to its quality. Most all the best fantasy authors except Tolkien wrote sci-fi.
    I do like reading, so I'll keep your recommendation in mind. Thanks!
    Dark Red, the Voice of the Dragon

Extended Signature Link

Quote Originally Posted by Quiver View Post
    How much terrain does the forty foot long, flying, fire breathing lizard which may or may not have magic consider its domain?

As much as it god damn wants.

3. - Top - End - #423
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Red Fel View Post

Say that again.

Flight of Dragons is a timeless classic. Capisce?
    Do you see what you've done:

Ommadon's Heads of the Dark Dragon
    Transmutation [Evil]
    Level: Druid 8, Sorcerer/Wizard 8
    Components: V, S
    Casting Time: 1 standard action
    Range: Personal
    Target: You
    Duration: 1 round/level

Invoking the powers of darkness and evil dragons you cause six fell, draconic heads to sprout from your back lashing out and biting at your foes.

When you cast this spell you grow 6 draconic heads from your back. These heads may make attacks of opportunity, and you are considered to have the Combat Reflexes feat for the purposes of their attacks of opportunity (if you do not already have it). These heads have 15 ft reach, 27 Strength your BAB and they may each attack 1/round during your turn as a free action dealing 2d8+8 (their strength modifier) damage per hit.

Adaptation: Remove a head to make it Tiamat themed and possibly a tad bit more balanced, but the Flight of Dragons reference wins out against the other considerations.

THIS IS WHAT HAPPENS WHEN YOU USE GIFS.
    Last edited by Zaydos; 2016-02-03 at 04:04 PM.

Current Projects:

Personal Silliness: Vote what Soulknife "Fix"/Inspired Class Should I make??? Past Work Expansion Caricatures.

4. - Top - End - #424
    Titan in the Playground

THIS IS WHAT HAPPENS WHEN YOU USE GIFS.
    So... Good times?
    My headache medicine has a little "Ex" inscribed on the pill. It's not a brand name; it's an indicator that it works inside an Anti-Magic Field.

Blue text means sarcasm. Purple text means evil. White text is invisible.

My signature got too big for its britches. So now it's over here!

5. - Top - End - #425
    Ogre in the Playground

So... Good times?
    That's the understanding I got out of it. I should use more GIFs... Good thing I've begun hoarding them.

Extended Signature Link

How much terrain does the forty foot long, flying, fire breathing lizard which may or may not have magic consider its domain?

6. - Top - End - #426
    Titan in the Playground

So... Good times?
    Quote Originally Posted by Draconium View Post
    That's the understanding I got out of it. I should use more GIFs... Good thing I've begun hoarding them.
    IS THAT WHAT MY GROWING SIX HEADS FROM MY BACK WITH WHICH TO BITE AT YOU BOTH LOOKS LIKE TO YOU TWO? MAYBE I WAS ACTUALLY WRONG ABOUT SOMETHING. IZ42 ISN'T THE THREAD MASOCHIST.

Well yeah, I feed on GIFs after all.

Current Projects:

7. - Top - End - #427
    Colossus in the Playground

Solution? Two different domains. One that involves you dying horribly or winding up abandoned, and one that involves you dying horribly or winding up abandoned after having your heart broken.
    Yeah, but the one where you become an Omni-universal reality-warping god of time and space might be just a little overpowered.

Especially the Granted Power that lets you break the locks on universes from which you're banned just by getting some hapless successor to the Companion domain to say your title.

8. - Top - End - #428
    Titan in the Playground

I'm going to assume that was deliberate, and punish murder you proportionately a lot.
    Do you have a problem with White Dragons?

Also i'm up for this Theme song insanity
    Quote Originally Posted by Guigarci View Post
    "Mr. Aochev, tear down this wall!" Ro'n Ad-Ri'Gan, Bard
    Tiefling Sorcerer by Linkele
    Spoiler: Homebrew stuff
    Show
    My Spell, My Weapon, Im a God

My Post Apocalyptic Alternate Timeline setting: Amerhikan Wasteland

My Historical Stuff channel

9. - Top - End - #429
    Bugbear in the Playground

BardGuy

Sorry, but I already have a theme song.
    See my Extended Signature for my list of silly shenanigans.

Anyone is welcome to use or critique my 3.5 Fighter homebrew: The Vanguard.

I am a Dungeon Master for Hire that creates custom content for people and programs d20 content for the HeroLab character system. Please donate to my Patreon and visit the HeroLab forums.

10. - Top - End - #430
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by illyahr View Post
    See you just make me think of this song.

Current Projects:

11. - Top - End - #431
    Ogre in the Playground

Allow me to throw a random song into the mix - because I can. And it can be seen as the theme song for most D&D groups.

Extended Signature Link

12. - Top - End - #432
    Troll in the Playground

And now it's a party! (Caution: Link contents are insane.)
    Now, that warning is unnecessary, those contents are very sane. Then again, I actively do not fully express myself on this site out of concern for my account getting banned. If you want I could link a truely insane song.

also, white dragons are superior chromatic specimens.
    Last edited by NeoPhoenix0; 2016-02-03 at 05:56 PM.

Extended signature (Includes Giantitp regulars as... links, avatar showcase, homebrew, and other stuff.)
    Current avatar by me

13. - Top - End - #433

BardGuy

See you just make me think of this song.
    Ah, Blind Guardian. Did you know they performed a 'concert' in a video game? Sacred 2: Fallen Angel. Each of them had digital representations in the game. They performed a song called Sacred.

I am a Dungeon Master for Hire that creates custom content for people and programs d20 content for the HeroLab character system. Please donate to my Patreon and visit the HeroLab forums.

14. - Top - End - #434
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by NeoPhoenix0 View Post
    also, white dragons are superior chromatic specimens.

You fill me with shame. As if White Dragons could be superior in anything.

Extended Signature Link

15. - Top - End - #435
    Firbolg in the Playground

... My white dragon is superior.
    If purple is evil, bold gray is lawful good.

Extended Signature & Homebrew Signature

Check out my Celestial Compendium!

16. - Top - End - #436
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by LoyalPaladin View Post
    ... My white dragon is superior.
    The very fact it is your dragon disproves your statement. A truly superior dragon answers to none but themselves.

Extended Signature Link

17. - Top - End - #437
    Titan in the Playground

A recurring campaign idea I always want to run is a transplanar 'inn' that may or may not be a Far Realmian entity and/or a force of ancient and primal cosmic balance and/or nexus of reality that just happens to take the form of a sprawling inn which is bigger on the inside than all of its numerous outsides put together. The PCs would take the role of mercenaries or heroes who the inn has 'claimed' no longer depositing them where they come from (and if they got there it'd gobble them up again sometime) and so it's be a sort of episodic game where you save random worlds, fall in love and elope with the prince(ss) you saved only to have to return to your life as a barfly want it or not, and occasionally work for the one-eyed innkeep (this inn has shown up in some form or another in most of my campaigns for a decade and a half now, the innkeep has ranged from bald one-eyed ex-royal guard to being a one-eyed druid with a liking for big cats, to being a one-eyed dude with a fondness of ravens, to literally being Odin) when he needs something picked up from some world (I need a dragon's spleen, but not any dragon's, the type of dragon only found on this world, go get it, *boots you onto Athas*) or when the inn has broken/gotten sick in some way and rats/obyriths/Cthulhus have infested the basement.

So why do I mention this? Because I have a near perfect theme for it: Only one problem it's the Three Boars in my games.

Ah, Blind Guardian. Did you know they performed a 'concert' in a video game? Sacred 2: Fallen Angel. Each of them had digital representations in the game. They performed a song called Sacred.
    No I did not, that is awesome, though. They also have Michael Moorcock and Tolkien themed albums. I do like Blind Guardian. Though to be honest I think of Van Canto's cover more than Blind Guardian's version for you for some reason.

Current Projects:

18. - Top - End - #438
    Troll in the Playground

well a red dragon can't even swim or dig without assistance and their only home field advantage if any is heat, assuming they have a large enough lair for them to fight in cause their only movement advantage is flight. at least the black, blue, and green each have either swim or burrow. A white dragon has an almost absolute advantage when fighting on their home turf, very few dragons can say that (well black dragons always have plans).

Extended signature (Includes Giantitp regulars as... links, avatar showcase, homebrew, and other stuff.)
    Current avatar by me

19. - Top - End - #439
    Titan in the Playground

No we speak truth. The White Dragon has the highest AC of its CR among Chromatic Dragons, has 4 different movement modes, it has freezing fog (which is grease + solid fog) Icewalking is actually useful, their SLAs are very useful (Fog Cloud, Gust of Wind, Wall of Ice and Control Weather), and they get Hide and Move Silent as class skills.

What this all gets you is the worlds greatest ambush predator. They will either Hide up in the sky, in a blizzard or underground, slam into the party like the hammer of an angry god, and then leave with whatever they kill, only to return later to finish the job.

They may be the dumbest of Chromatic Dragons, but thats only because all that extra knowledge would just get in the way of them being the Frozen North's Apex Predator.
    Show

20. - Top - End - #440
    Firbolg in the Playground

Sadly, I remember once picking one of these books up. The first page I turned to described Northumbria as an "Ancient Scottish Kingdom" (it's an Anglian kingdom, founded when most of the Scots were still in Ireland). At which point I realised that Dickson didn't really know anything about the era of which he was writing, replaced the book on the shelf, and never touched them again.

There seems to be a definite subgenre of "Semi-History Fantasy written by respected SF writing who seem to think that being respected SF writers excuses them from doing the most basic research."

I also loved Larry Niven's "The Magic Goes Away" for its role in "Assuming that New Zealand is just a quick canoe ride from Australia, and making that assumption part of supposedly intelligent people's plans."

21. - Top - End - #441
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by NeoPhoenix0 View Post
    well a red dragon can't even swim or dig without assistance and their only home field advantage if any is heat, assuming they have a large enough lair for them to fight in cause their only movement advantage is flight. at least the black, blue, and green each have either swim or burrow. A white dragon has an almost absolute advantage when fighting on their home turf, very few dragons can say that (well black dragons always have plans).
    So basically, you're telling me that the other dragons require a terrain advantage and need the crutch of more than two movement modes, correct? There is a reason Reds don't have those - we don't need them.

In all seriousness, I can see the advantage the other dragons have in that regard, but the Red Dragon has base stats that are better than all the other Chromatics, and they are the only Chromatics to hit Colossal size at Great Wyrm, while the others don't hit that size unless you use advanced age categories. With dragons, I tend to find that size is usually an indicator of power, prior to feats/magic items/spells. Not to mention, Red Dragons get spellcasting at an earlier age than the other Chromatics, which gives them a considerable power boost.

Extended Signature Link

22. - Top - End - #442
    Troll in the Playground

They need the stats and spellcasting to compare. Just don't turn this into a dragon v dragon thing, any dragon can kill any other dragon in one turn when you consider spellcasting.

Current avatar by me

23. - Top - End - #443
    Ogre in the Playground

I'll just say this - while I recognize White Dragons are quite possibly he most difficult dragon to face for their CR, but I will always prefer the Red Dragon.

Extended Signature Link

24. - Top - End - #444
    Titan in the Playground

If you're going by game stats CR 19 Blue Dragon is stronger than CR 20 Black or Red and CR 19 Green or White (and has the same AC). All have the same Strength and Constitution, but Blue is smarter (all mental scores) than Black or White, has more HD than Red or Green as well as more SR, lower AC than the Black but more than Red or Green, and better spell casting than the Red or White. finally it has the best breath weapon damage (tied with red), though it's shape is unfortunate. Green which is a 1 HD less version of Blue and deals 18 less damage with breath weapon (bringing it down by between 20 and 25%) it's a cone, and might actually edge out for most powerful CR 19/20 dragon especially since it has better SLAs.

White ends up coming in as the weakest. 5th level spells to all the others' 6th means they can cast Freezing Fog to make up for its one advantage, it has better AC than the Red but only 1 better than the green while its breath weapon deals 1/2 the damage (average 38.5) and its SR is only 25% likely to work against unbuffed CL (as opposed to a mere 35%), 2 worse Frightful Presence. It just ends up as the second weakest of the five (red actually ends up the weakest, note also Great Wyrm is 6 CR in 4 Age Categories from here so Red still has a ton to gain).

In short: Red and White are beaten out spellcasting wise for their CR. White's attempt to make up for this is ambush tactics which can be really deadly, but with spellcasting any dragon can pull that off by around 6th level spells (actually before, and remember epic level children when going to a hostage exchange involving the king, cast Detect Magic True Seeing alone does not cut it and a blue dragon may be lurking underground nearby). White does probably come off as the strongest in the CR 14-16 range (due to Freezing Fog being that good), and at some of the lower CRs where their environmental advantages outweigh their disadvantage. Over all though any dragon is a dangerous creature for its CR and if I run a tavern of the planes now, instead of dire rats the basement will be infested with white dragons. Fight through a basement full of white dragons if you dare!

I'd actually give most dangerous to Blue or Green for non-stats related reasons. Both of them will take control of entire humanoid civilizations and turn them into weapons to kill you. Blue dragons enjoy playing the theocrat, and there's a reason greens get dominate and suggestion (for a well done green dragon read Dragonlance). Again though, that's because of their temperament.

Current Projects:

25. - Top - End - #445
    Titan in the Playground

For overall most dangerous id agree that it goes to Green or Blue because of their tendency to run large civilizations.

For personal combat i give it to the White Dragon because it acts like the Apex Predator it is. It has no vanity, pride or personal honor to play against it. It only has its survival drive and its hunger.

For most fun for the DM to play id say Black or Red. Red because you get to play the arrogant wyrm sitting upon his mountain of gold, smug and secure in his own superiority. Black because constantly going "Just as planned" behind the screen is way to much fun.

All in all, every Dragon is a potential TPK. Some do it with spells, some with their sheer size, and then some do it by pouncing on you from out of a glacier.
    Show

26. - Top - End - #446
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Blackhawk748 View Post
    Also i'm up for this Theme song insanity
    I'll be honest, I'm not sure where to pin you down. For some reason - I can't put my finger on it - I keep coming back to this.

I figured yours was this one. Go figure.

I'll just say this - while I recognize White Dragons are quite possibly he most difficult dragon to face for their CR, but I will always prefer the Red Dragon.
    You're not the only one. Ruth the Red Lightning shares your preference.

For certain definitions of "preference."
    Although, to be fair, Red Dragons already have their own theme song, courtesy of Dick Saucer.

Those are actual lyrics. Somebody sings that. Genius.
    My headache medicine has a little "Ex" inscribed on the pill. It's not a brand name; it's an indicator that it works inside an Anti-Magic Field.

Blue text means sarcasm. Purple text means evil. White text is invisible.

My signature got too big for its britches. So now it's over here!

27. - Top - End - #447
    Titan in the Playground

I'll be honest, I'm not sure where to pin you down. For some reason - I can't put my finger on it - I keep coming back to this.
    This may have to do with the fact that it mixes two bands i like. Also im pretty sure i've linked it before In any case im happy to have it as a theme song.
    Show

28. - Top - End - #448
    Titan in the Playground

Ah the song that got me into Van Canto.

I figured yours was this one. Go figure.
    I thought that was mine and LP's team up theme.

Current Projects:

29. - Top - End - #449

BardGuy

I thought that was mine and LP's team up theme.
    It applies equally to you, me, and LP just because.

30. - Top - End - #450
    Ogre in the Playground

You're not the only one. Ruth the Red Lightning shares your preference.
    Er... that's not exactly what I personally meant. But hey, whatever floats your boat (or his boat, I guess).

Although, to be fair, Red Dragons already have their own theme song, courtesy of Dick Saucer.
    Wait, are you-?

Those are actual lyrics. Somebody sings that. Genius.
    You are serious.

Extended Signature Link