A Monster for Every Season: Summer 2
You can get A Monster for Every Season: Summer 2 now at Gumroad
Page 1 of 24 1234567891011 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 30 of 704
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Ettin in the Playground
     
    King Tius's Avatar

    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Philadelphia, PA
    Gender
    Male

    Default Age of Worms I: The Whispering Cairn [IC]

    The Age of Worms
    (in Eberron!)
    OOC Thread

    Part 1: The Whispering Cairn

    The small mining town of Diamond Lake has been buzzing with gossip for the past week. A trio of impressive looking adventurers have just arrived from Sharn and have spent the better part of the week drinking heavily at The Feral Dog and boasting of their plans to explore the Stirgenest Cairn. Everyone knows the Stirgenest Cairn has been raided so many times that it is hard to even get a charcoal rubbing off of the worn reliefs within. Nevertheless, all this talk of exploration has the entire town yearning for the good old days when the artifact business was booming and the town prospered, long before the war started and these Khyber-born metal soldiers started taking the jobs of hard working miners...

    Around this same time, the town's resident artificer and Diamond Lake native makes an exciting discovery. Recalling the thrilling dares of his youth, Allustan Neff has been searching for the location of a cairn that has become little more than a ghost story told among the town's children. The retired adventurer and armchair archaeologist has procured a map of an abandoned iron mine about an hour's walk from town square. The mine dried up some 50 years ago in the heart of the war and its charter lapsed when the mine's manager died a few years later. What makes this map so interesting is that it shows the location of a cairn that is absent from all the current cairn maps floating about town. It is precisely the cairn that Allustan was looking for: The Whispering Cairn, so named for the haunting, almost magical tones that emerge from its depths when the wind is just right.

    Since Allustan considers himself too old to go exploring (even though he is only in his 40s), he has entrusted the old iron mine map to his apprentice, Aria d'Sivis. The young (for a gnome) artificer has quietly gathered a small team to investigate the tomb and report back to Allustan. Given the current fervor over the Stirginest Cairn, Allustan advises the utmost caution and discretion lest some copycat explorers or, worse yet, the adventuring trio from Sharn, catch wind and pursue this cairn instead. The map shows that the entrance to the cairn is a mere ten minute's walk from the old mine's office. Aria's mentor has suggested that the party use this as their base of operations while investigating the tomb to avoid raising suspicions in town. Leaving Diamond Lake before daybreak and the changeover of the morning mine shifts, you set out in the dark along the road headed North towards Sharn. After clearing the town and the outlying farms, you come upon the nearly-overgrown trail leading to the forgotten mine.

    The office building proves just as dilapidated as you'd expect. A modest dwelling squats upon the crown of a small hill. While the rough stone walls of the first floor look mostly intact, the second floor has completely collapsed. A half height wall rings the house, but it too is in a state of severe disrepair. Rubble and dense weeds choke the yard. Thick vines creep up the sides of the house and most of the windows are broken. The front door hangs open, barely on its hinges, under a sagging and partially collapsed porch. Inside, small mounds of debris litter the floor. Loose stones, dead weeds, and grime cover virtually every surface. Paintings must have once adorned the place as indicated by the particular stain patterns marring the walls. The only light comes from thin shafts sneaking in from outside illuminating clouds of dust dancing through the stale air. Though the place is a mess, you decide that staying here would be marginally better than sleeping outside. You drop off any non-essentials from your packs to lighten your load before making the quick trek indicated on the map.

    After a ten minute walk and some map-aided searching, you discover a wide and monolith-lined portal partially obscured by underbrush and boulders. A few minutes work clears enough debris for you to pass inside. Natural light dimly illuminates a long hallway extending north into darkness. A faint breeze brings with it sibilant whispers that sound almost like sighing breath. It must be a trick of the wind, but the effect is almost lifelike. The walls bear horizontal bands of deceptively simple geometric patterns at waist level. In places the bands reveal startling detail, but in others the walls look as though they have been hacked apart with weapons or eroded by the rigors of time. Flakes of ancient paint, brilliant purple and dull mustard hue, still cling to the walls in places, hinting at what must once have been a riot of colors. A thin coat of dust coats the floor. Just inside the darkened tomb, the hallway branches into shallow alcoves to the east and west. Here the walls bear the most significant damage. Dozens of clumsy etchings mar the beautiful ancient masonry like graffiti on a city wall. A clump of soiled cloth about the size of a halfling rests in the rounded terminus of the western alcove.

    Outside, the wind picks up, and a chorus of almost human sounds rises from the darkened hall.

    Spoiler: Dungeon Map
    Show



    OOC: Welcome everyone! Please describe your characters in your initial post and claim a speech color. Introductions have already been made, but some of you may have only met a day or two ago, so feel free to play out the "get to know you" bits as you explore.
    Last edited by King Tius; 2016-01-27 at 04:29 PM.
    Spoiler
    Show

    My Characters

    DMing
    Sanity Check: IC OOC
    Age of Worms in Eberron IC OOC

    Quote Originally Posted by mshady View Post
    Not sure of the details, I trust in King.
    Quote Originally Posted by RaggedAngel View Post
    "Hello, there. You seem to be in the middle of something overtly magical. Is this a bad time to talk?"
    Drawing OOTS Avatars Guide


  2. - Top - End - #2
    Titan in the Playground
     
    RaggedAngel's Avatar

    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Gender
    Female

    Default Re: Age of Worms I: The Whispering Cairn [IC]

    On the journey to the supposed location of the Whispering Cairn Diana is in an excellent mood, making small talk with anyone who wants it. The young woman explains, over the course of the trip, that it has been weeks since she's had an opportunity to do more with her armor or sword than training drills and cleaning. Her thick banded mail is indeed quite well maintained, if not especially nice, and she carries the weight of it and her longsword without complaint. The only other object of value she displays is a holy symbol of the Silver Flame, hanging around her neck from a delicate silver chain. She mentions her work at the local church several times along the road, but aside from a casual invitation to come to Mass she doesn't try to press her faith on anyone or start any discussions on the matter.

    Once the party locates the entrance of the cairn she smiles brightly, and if the moaning noises bother her it doesn't show. Diana pulls on a cloth cap to keep her long hair out of her face, and then pulls up a chainmaile hood that's worked into her armor. Once inside, Diana adjusts the straps on her shield, checking that it's tight and ready. Her sword remains sheathed at her hip, however, and she doesn't seem especially concerned about a potential fight. "It looks like this place has already been cleared out, to tell the truth. We should still look around, of course, but I don't know how much we're going to find." She looks to Aria, giving the gnome a grin. "Lead the way, boss. I've got your back."

    Spoiler
    Show
    As a note, Diana's "Luminous Sigils"-ala-silver flame isn't visible, and she hasn't shown or mentioned it on the trip here.

    And let the game begin.
    Red Hand of Doom in Eberron IC | OOC | Rolls

    LGBTitP

    Thank you to Akrim.elf for my beautiful avatar.

  3. - Top - End - #3
    Ogre in the Playground
    Join Date
    Oct 2012

    Default Re: Age of Worms I: The Whispering Cairn [IC]

    Aria sighs a deep, slow sigh of wonder. The young gnome raises her slim, scale-coated arm and lightly caresses the eye-level engravings in the stone as a girl might caress the face of her lover, wondering what intent they might have once served.

    "Naturally!" she chirps to Diana's suggestion. An old... Structure? like this might have questionable integrity after so many years of neglect, and she begins her inspection, confident and methodical. She might not admit it, but she quite likes being called 'boss' for once.

    "But you know, Diana, just because we probably won't run into treasure hunters doesn't mean there aren't, I don't know, a herd of angry javelina or something making their den here. Nature has a way of reclaiming abandoned places, and she doesn't generally like giving up the same land twice."

    She left her duster in the ruined office; bright blue and flowing, in the Zil fashion, a social garment more than a functional one really has no place in the home of moss and rats. She may in fact be indistinguishable from another wandering soldier-of-fortune, between her scale armor and crossbow. An astute observer would see that she doesn't carry herself as a soldier, and might note her methodical search of the apparent nothingness around her, and expect a trap engineer, or a sage searching for some unknown wisdom in the ruin. And in truth, none of that is incorrect. This might be the first time she's been quiet on the entire trek to this place, as the loquacious young gnome's pretty face is now contorted in focus as she examines the stonework for dangerous weaknesses or suspicious masonry, and the moss and ferns for alchemical utility.

    Spoiler
    Show
    Taking 10 for engineering and search for 17 each to find dangerous or suspicious stonework, to see if she recognizes anything as having any alchemical value, and, of course, for traps.

  4. - Top - End - #4
    Ettin in the Playground
     
    King Tius's Avatar

    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Philadelphia, PA
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Age of Worms I: The Whispering Cairn [IC]

    Aria examines the stonework around the entrance and finds it to be in solid condition. The stones used are much thicker than she would have initially guessed, implying a quality of craftsmanship and an eye for longevity that is so lacking in human masonry. Examining the patterned bands more closely, Aria discovers thin hollow tubes hidden within the patternwork. The strange whispers filling the hall seem to emit from these holes. Our young artificer listens and sniffs for a bit before deducing that these tubes extend to the surface of the mound above the cairn where the they catch the wind and project it into the hallway. With her vision more adapted to lower light conditions, Aria peers down the main hallway and notices a faint flickering green light coming from much deeper in the cairn.
    Spoiler
    Show

    My Characters

    DMing
    Sanity Check: IC OOC
    Age of Worms in Eberron IC OOC

    Quote Originally Posted by mshady View Post
    Not sure of the details, I trust in King.
    Quote Originally Posted by RaggedAngel View Post
    "Hello, there. You seem to be in the middle of something overtly magical. Is this a bad time to talk?"
    Drawing OOTS Avatars Guide


  5. - Top - End - #5
    Orc in the Playground
     
    Zoobity's Avatar

    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Chicago, IL

    Default Re: Age of Worms I: The Whispering Cairn [IC]

    Flox is quiet through their journey unless directly addressed, at which point Flox becomes quite loquacious. Left to Flox's own devices, Flox seems quite content. Flox agrees to take all of the night's watch and Flox attempts to cook breakfast before the group wakes up. It is a standard porridge, made from dried goods, only it has jerky in it. Flox seems proud of the innovation, but Flox does not taste.

    When the group arrives at the cairn, Flox steps out in front of them to survey the area. Flox moves floxhead about but doesn't appear to be looking any more closely than if Flox were, say, watching a duck in a pond. Flox does draw floxsword with a pleased sigh and holds the blade in left floxhand, the grip in right, assuming Stone Dragon stance. "This places looks clear from here. I don't see anything." After Aria smells the wall, Flox looks over, "Hmm... what are you smelling? Is there something wrong with the wall?" Floxhead continues to peer around the room, though whether or not Flox is taking anything in is unclear.
    I roll 20s

  6. - Top - End - #6
    Titan in the Playground
     
    RaggedAngel's Avatar

    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Gender
    Female

    Default Re: Age of Worms I: The Whispering Cairn [IC]

    Diana ate the horrible porridge-jerky amalgamation without complaint, though she did casually mention later that it might have been even better if the two components were kept separate.

    When Flox mentions the smell, Diana sniffs near the wall herself. She's a bit surprised by the result. "Huh. It smells like outside, not a dank crypt. I guess they have air-holes in the walls, so the air doesn't go bad down here. That must have been a lot of work, to make so many tiny little holes."

    When Flox enters a martial stance, Diana doesn't say anything. She may not have noticed the fact that it was a distinct fighting stance, being so used to sparring and training with differently-built humans.

    Spoiler
    Show
    Martial Lore: (1d20+1)[7]

    Welp, she has no idea what stance it is, despite it being a very basic Stone Dragon stance.
    Last edited by RaggedAngel; 2016-01-29 at 10:18 AM.
    Red Hand of Doom in Eberron IC | OOC | Rolls

    LGBTitP

    Thank you to Akrim.elf for my beautiful avatar.

  7. - Top - End - #7
    Firbolg in the Playground
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Age of Worms I: The Whispering Cairn [IC]

    Lavender, almond-shaped eyes look back over a gray shoulder to the entrance. Luci was most comfortable when surrounded by a crowd, and this was no crowd. She preferred the hustle and bustle of town to the eery quiet of a crypt, even one that whispered. The changeling pulls out one of the pieces of jerky she had extracted from the morning's porridge and nervously begins to nibble on it. The cured meat is unpleasant on her pallete, though, so she demurely raises a kerchief to her mouth and lowers it without a word. Flox that, Luci thinks and chuckles at her own wit.

    "Javelina?" she asks nobody in particular as she brushes her pale hair from in front of her eyes. It catches the light, showing opalescent flecks of every color within the strands. "Overeager treasure hunters I can deal with, but hungry animals aren't quite my forte." As the talk turns to the air holes in the walls, Luci is happy for the change in subject. "This whole place was a lot of work. I'm not surprised at the level of detail; anyone with the coin to build a private tomb is usually the type to decorate it as well."
    Last edited by OMG PONIES; 2016-01-31 at 09:56 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Vaz View Post
    Ponies, the Kim Karsdashian of GITP.
    This is what happens when they let me DM:
    Beyond the Horizon IC / OOC
    A Time to Die: Alpha IC / Bravo IC / OOC

  8. - Top - End - #8
    Titan in the Playground
     
    RaggedAngel's Avatar

    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Gender
    Female

    Default Re: Age of Worms I: The Whispering Cairn [IC]

    Diana glances back to Luci with a faint smile. The paladin had been sneaking glances at the changeling since the beginning of the trip; Luci was the first changeling Diana had ever seen. At least, the first changeling she had seen in their natural form. Luci's eyes were fascinating; not just the color, but...

    Diana realizes that she's staring, and she clears her throat awkwardly. "Er, javelina? Aren't those just pigs? I'd be more worried about zombies or skeletons in an old crypt; I don't think Flox and I would have much trouble with pigs. Don't worry, ladies, we'll keep you safe." She says that last with a hint of irony and a smile, enjoying the chance for some bravado.
    Red Hand of Doom in Eberron IC | OOC | Rolls

    LGBTitP

    Thank you to Akrim.elf for my beautiful avatar.

  9. - Top - End - #9
    Ettin in the Playground
     
    King Tius's Avatar

    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Philadelphia, PA
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Age of Worms I: The Whispering Cairn [IC]

    With the source of the whispering largely figured out, the group advances into the western alcove to investigate the pile of cloth. Approaching cautiously, you find a moldy old bedroll that has hardened and become brittle with age. When you attempt to unroll it and search for anything of value the bedroll cracks in two. While there is nothing valuable inside, there are whittling shavings trapped under the bedroll that blow about lazily in the whispering breeze. Aria is reminded of a teenage girl who went missing from town six years ago. The town youths often dare one another to sleep in the cairns, but there's nothing about this bedroll that connects specifically to the missing girl in the gnome's mind. The eastern alcove does not hold anything of interest, though while headed over to investigate closer, Diana notices the faint flickering green light from further inside the tomb as well.

    In order to continue deeper into the cairn, the party will need a light source.

    Spoiler: The Map
    Show


    Last edited by King Tius; 2016-02-01 at 01:01 PM.
    Spoiler
    Show

    My Characters

    DMing
    Sanity Check: IC OOC
    Age of Worms in Eberron IC OOC

    Quote Originally Posted by mshady View Post
    Not sure of the details, I trust in King.
    Quote Originally Posted by RaggedAngel View Post
    "Hello, there. You seem to be in the middle of something overtly magical. Is this a bad time to talk?"
    Drawing OOTS Avatars Guide


  10. - Top - End - #10
    Ogre in the Playground
    Join Date
    Oct 2012

    Default Re: Age of Worms I: The Whispering Cairn [IC]

    Aria grins. It's nice having giants for bodyguards. "So imagine a wild boar that's a third the size of the boars you're used to, but with worse attitudes and thicker skulls, and they travel in herds by the score. That's a javelina. A zombie isn't going to run at you at half-again the speed of a destrier like a skunk hog will."

    She sighs lightly, not entirely concerned about the light. Curious, but more interested in the task at hand. "This is more like a wind organ. Neat trick, but not much use for anything, other than scaring the peasants." She produces from her pack a sunrod, a tool which, to her great frustration, she has yet to produce reliably without the highest quality tools, infusions, and the aid of her master. The infusions and tools she can deal with. What bothers her is that she needs his help still. So close. Not that she can complain; many journeyman artificers have trouble creating sunrods, and she's already surpassed many of the so-called masters in Zolanberg. It helps being a genius, but it also helps having a genius for a tutor.

    "There's a light down there. Let's check it out." She squints and recoils slightly from the light as her eyes adjust to the sunrod's glow, but her compatriots all lamentably need the light and both of their hands. While Aria's alright with her crossbow, if anyone's going to sacrifice combat ability it should be her. Maybe she should invest in a hand crossbow... and the time to learn how to use it. But that's a pain, and training with a weapon like that would be time and effort and learning taken away from being better at her primary job. Suboptimal. Pass. A good idea while it lasted.

    Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    Taking 10 searching for traps along the way.
    Last edited by Saskia; 2016-02-01 at 10:59 AM.

  11. - Top - End - #11
    Titan in the Playground
     
    RaggedAngel's Avatar

    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Gender
    Female

    Default Re: Age of Worms I: The Whispering Cairn [IC]

    Diana holds out her hand and starts to say something before Aria ignites her sunrod, but she hesitates and stops herself. "I- uh. Thanks for holding the light, Aria. I've got something I can pull out if we really need it, too. So, I'm curious. What could cause a glow like that? Some kind of fungus, maybe, or a really low-quality everburning torch?"

    After a moment she shrugs, answering her own question. "Either way, I doubt it's dangerous. Let's continue, I don't think we need to be overly careful." She does, however, finally draw her sword, rolling her wrist to get a feel for the weight and grip. "This'll be fun. Even if you're right about the animals, it just means we get to eat well tonight."
    Red Hand of Doom in Eberron IC | OOC | Rolls

    LGBTitP

    Thank you to Akrim.elf for my beautiful avatar.

  12. - Top - End - #12
    Firbolg in the Playground
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Age of Worms I: The Whispering Cairn [IC]

    Quote Originally Posted by Saskia View Post
    "This is more like a wind organ. Neat trick, but not much use for anything, other than scaring the peasants."
    "How perfectly bourgeois," Luci says nonchalantly, almost as if they were standing in the middle of a barroom and not a tomb.

    Quote Originally Posted by Saskia View Post
    "So imagine a wild boar that's a third the size of the boars you're used to, but with worse attitudes and thicker skulls, and they travel in herds by the score. That's a javelina. A zombie isn't going to run at you at half-again the speed of a destrier like a skunk hog will."
    Luci wrinkles up her nose at Aria's description. "Precisely none of that sounds particularly appealing," she opines. "I'd actually hope for the treasure hunters over that."

    Quote Originally Posted by Saskia View Post
    "There's a light down there. Let's check it out."
    "Yes, let's," Luci agrees. She hadn't once yet met a skunk hog that could light a torch. There were, on the other hand, plenty of bumbling adventurers with lecherous eyes and loose purse strings who had that ability. Luci needn't draw her crossbow just yet--tucked carefully away in her boot was the dagger that Adalia had given to her on her first night at the Emporium. All the girls had one, and they each referred to it as their "insurance policy," keeping them safe in the event of real danger. Not one to rely on the minimum, Luci had also picked up a shortsword and crossbow when hired for this job, but she felt most at home with her trusty hidden blade.

    Knowledge Local - (1d20+6)[24] does Luci know anything about the missing teen and/or whose bedroll that could have been?
    Listen - (1d20+1)[15] for funny business
    Sleight of Hand - (1d20+6)[22] retcon: dagger hidden in boot?
    Spot - (1d20+1)[4] for funny business
    Last edited by OMG PONIES; 2016-02-01 at 01:15 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Vaz View Post
    Ponies, the Kim Karsdashian of GITP.
    This is what happens when they let me DM:
    Beyond the Horizon IC / OOC
    A Time to Die: Alpha IC / Bravo IC / OOC

  13. - Top - End - #13
    Ettin in the Playground
     
    King Tius's Avatar

    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Philadelphia, PA
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Age of Worms I: The Whispering Cairn [IC]

    Spoiler: Luci's Rolls
    Show

    I had already rolled her Knowledge (Local) along with everyone else to know about the bedroll, but since you rolled so well, you have heard the same story of the girl disappearing, though again there's no solid giveaway that this was hers.

    Luci does not hear or spot anything out of the ordinary and her dagger is concealed!

    Luci keeps a weather eye as the group ventures deeper into the Whispering Cairn. Aria's sunrod gives off enough light to really appreciate the remaining flecks of paint that cling to the walls of this tunnel. Where you here when it was first constructed, it would have truly been a sight to behold. Twenty feet further down the central hallway there is another intersection. The western hall extends perhaps forty feet, ending at a small marble platform raised about six inches off the floor. A strange, shattered arcane apparatus rests upon this platform, its curved ovular frame giving the appearance of a noble's dressing mirror. Only a third of this frame remains. An unusual arcane glyph about the size of a man's head has been delicately carved into the base plate of the support platform.

    Spoiler: Strange Apparatus
    Show




    *DM rolls Knowledge (History) and Knowledge (Arcana) for all party members with points in these skills*

    Luci quickly studies the apparatus and determines that it is free from traps, though she does find a few shards of an unidentifiable shiny black substance that feels like stone. The curious shards are cool to the touch. While she combed the strange device for traps, she also notices numerous runes carved into a slot that runs the length of the inside curve of the frame. Aria identifies these smaller arcane symbols as being related to transportation magic.

    Aria focuses on the large glyph on the pedestal for a few moments and comes to the following conclusions:

    Spoiler: What Aria Knows
    Show

    • The glyph doesn't seem to be formed from a common alphabet, although the images are reminiscent of arcane symbols representing elemental air.
    • The glyph is likely a personal seal of a specific individual and may translate to that person's name.
    • The letterforms look similar to an ancient glyph-language called Vaati, which some unorthodox scholars consider the original written form of Auran.



    Fifteen feet down the east passage, a huge pile of collapsed rubble blocks the alcove from top to bottom. it looks like it would take weeks to tunnel through the densely packed debris. Now further into the cairn and with less distraction from daylight, you can all clearly see the flickering green light coming from up ahead.

    Spoiler: The Map
    Show


    Spoiler
    Show

    My Characters

    DMing
    Sanity Check: IC OOC
    Age of Worms in Eberron IC OOC

    Quote Originally Posted by mshady View Post
    Not sure of the details, I trust in King.
    Quote Originally Posted by RaggedAngel View Post
    "Hello, there. You seem to be in the middle of something overtly magical. Is this a bad time to talk?"
    Drawing OOTS Avatars Guide


  14. - Top - End - #14
    Orc in the Playground
     
    Zoobity's Avatar

    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Chicago, IL

    Default Re: Age of Worms I: The Whispering Cairn [IC]

    Flox nods at Diana's "bravado" comment. "Yes, we will keep you safe. There can't be anything too dangerous in here. No problem. None at all. Bring on the pigs. Bring on the bandits." Flox says all of this with absolute earnestness.


    As the group inspects the "thing" Flox looks at the flecks of paint on the walls and keeps an eye on the open corridor. "Maybe it's a harp. It looks a bit like a harp." He stays on guard, waiting for the group to move forward, ready to move against the first sign of threat.
    I roll 20s

  15. - Top - End - #15
    Firbolg in the Playground
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Age of Worms I: The Whispering Cairn [IC]

    Luci shakes her head gently. "Good thinking, Flox, but try to picture what the rest of this item could have looked like. It looks like a harp now, but a piece is missing. See these runes, and those shards of cold rock? Do you know anything like this to belong on a harp? This is something more...well, more Aria's speed. I've never been much for magic."
    Quote Originally Posted by Vaz View Post
    Ponies, the Kim Karsdashian of GITP.
    This is what happens when they let me DM:
    Beyond the Horizon IC / OOC
    A Time to Die: Alpha IC / Bravo IC / OOC

  16. - Top - End - #16
    Ettin in the Playground
     
    King Tius's Avatar

    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Philadelphia, PA
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Age of Worms I: The Whispering Cairn [IC]

    Aria studies the strange apparatus for another minute, putting her artificer knowledge to the test. After a thorough examination, she determines that while this device once harnessed powerful conjuration magic, it has been broken and mundane for centuries. Taking mental note of the large glyph on the base plate, you set off further into the cairn in search of that curious flickering light. Thirty feet further on, the central hallway opens into a large chamber with wings leading to the east and west. Across the chamber to the north yawns a twenty-foot-wide open arch draped from top to bottom in translucent cobwebs. An eerie green light flickers from beyond the webs, casting strange shadows about this room. The place smells of animal spoor and wet fur.

    To the west, three short stairs lead to a wide marble dais, but the far end of the wing is obscured by darkness. Huge slabs of cracked masonry and irregular piles of scattered debris choke the eastern wing, giving the appearance of complete collapse. The sibilant, almost human whispers present in the passage become a chorus in this massive chamber, eerily echoing off the walls. The light from your sunrod draws the attention of this area's denizens. From a wide opening in the middle of the debris comes a pair of hungry looking wolves, growling and bearing their teeth as they emerge into the light. The two mangy curs are thin and already salivating at your presence, making it clear they haven't eaten in days.

    *dice clatter behind the screen*

    The wolves win the group initiative!

    Combat Begins

    Before you have a chance to react, the pair burst forward, yapping and growling as their jaws snap in anticipation. They head right for the nearest meal (Diana) and lunge at her. The young crusader fortunately had her sword and shield at the ready. She's able to block the first wolf's bite with the bottom of her shield but the second darts through, grabbing hold of Diana's leg and yanking her off her feet. She slams down onto the ancient stonework but manages to hold on to her weapon.

    Spoiler: Combat Summary (Beginning of Round 1)
    Show

    Diana takes 5 damage from wolf 2 and is knocked prone


    PC actions will be processed in the order in which they are posted. If you want to wait and see what someone else does, please say so in the OOC. Otherwise, I'll autopilot you for the round without realizing.

    Spoiler: The Map
    Show




    Spoiler: Combat Statistics
    Show

    Aria = 9/9
    Diana= 11(5)/11 Prone
    Flox = 15/15
    Luci = 6/6
    Last edited by King Tius; 2016-02-02 at 06:53 PM.
    Spoiler
    Show

    My Characters

    DMing
    Sanity Check: IC OOC
    Age of Worms in Eberron IC OOC

    Quote Originally Posted by mshady View Post
    Not sure of the details, I trust in King.
    Quote Originally Posted by RaggedAngel View Post
    "Hello, there. You seem to be in the middle of something overtly magical. Is this a bad time to talk?"
    Drawing OOTS Avatars Guide


  17. - Top - End - #17
    Titan in the Playground
     
    RaggedAngel's Avatar

    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Gender
    Female

    Default Re: Age of Worms I: The Whispering Cairn [IC]

    Diana reacts to the wolves on pure instinct, barely getting her shield up in time to intercept the first wolf's clenching jaws. She fails to stop the other wolf's, and she hits the ground hard. Her side glows where she hits the ground, faintly, and she doesn't seem to feel the pain. Instead she lashes out with her sword, aiming to stick the wolf that bit her through the chest. "Flame take you!"

    Her blade catches the wolf full in the torso, and another faint ripple of silver light rolls over Diana. She rises to her feet in a fluid motion, her leg uninjured, her face set in a grim smile.

    Spoiler
    Show
    Diana Corus
    Spoiler
    Show
    Female Lawful Good Human Crusader, Level 1, Init 1, HP 11 (5)/11, Speed 20ft.
    AC 19, Touch 11, Flat-footed 18, Fort 3, Ref 1, Will 2, Base Attack Bonus 1
    Longsword +3 (1d8+2, 19-20/x2)
    Light Hammer +3 / +2 (1d4+2, x2)
    Gauntlets +3 (1d3+2, x2)
    Banded Mail, Heavy Wooden Shield (+6 Armor, +2 Shield, +1 Dex)
    Abilities Str 14, Dex 12, Con 12, Int 10, Wis 14, Cha 14
    Condition None
    Steely Resolve
    5/5
    Granted Maneuvers
    1 - Minotaur Charge
    2 - Stone Bones
    3 - Crusader's Strike


    Swift action to enter Martial Spirit stance.

    With Furious Resolve and being Prone factored in, Diana's attack bonus is a flat +0. RNGesus, hear my prayer.

    Stone Bones: (1d20)[14]
    Damage: (1d8+3)[11]

    If she hits, she gets DR 5/Adamantine until her next turn, and 2 points of her Damage Pool are healed.

    If she hits, she'll stand, provoking attacks of opportunity.

    At the end of her turn, the rest of the delayed damage hits her. If Stone Bones connected, it's all blocked by the DR. That's a fun little wombo-combo for you.

    EDIT- I'm metagaming to know that's a hit, but OH MAN I needed that hit. I was going to roll an action point, too, but it looks like the Silver Flame has my back.
    Last edited by RaggedAngel; 2016-02-02 at 06:58 PM.
    Red Hand of Doom in Eberron IC | OOC | Rolls

    LGBTitP

    Thank you to Akrim.elf for my beautiful avatar.

  18. - Top - End - #18
    Orc in the Playground
     
    Zoobity's Avatar

    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Chicago, IL

    Default Re: Age of Worms I: The Whispering Cairn [IC]

    Seeing Diana go down, Flox's eyes narrow, their glassy bulbs catching the flickering light. "No," he says, matter-of-factly, sliding towards the wolf and bringing his greatsword down in a perfectly round arc.

    Spoiler: Power Attack Roll
    Show

    To Hit: (1d20+3)[5]
    Damage: (2d6+7)[17]
    I roll 20s

  19. - Top - End - #19
    Firbolg in the Playground
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Age of Worms I: The Whispering Cairn [IC]

    Luci takes a step back behind Aria, using the smaller woman as an unlikely source of cover. As she steps back, she draws her crossbow and, with one eye squinted and the other drawing a bead on her prey, fires off a bolt at the remaining wolf. She had played the role of the huntress enough times to feign competence; hopefully looking the part was enough to land a blow.

    Free action: 5-foot step.
    Move action: draw loaded crossbow.
    Standard action: fire!

    Attack - (1d20+2)[20]
    Damage - (1d8)[4] piercing damage
    Crit Confirm - (1d20+2)[3]
    Extra Crit Damage - (1d8)[5]
    Last edited by OMG PONIES; 2016-02-02 at 10:14 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Vaz View Post
    Ponies, the Kim Karsdashian of GITP.
    This is what happens when they let me DM:
    Beyond the Horizon IC / OOC
    A Time to Die: Alpha IC / Bravo IC / OOC

  20. - Top - End - #20
    Ogre in the Playground
    Join Date
    Oct 2012

    Default Re: Age of Worms I: The Whispering Cairn [IC]

    Aria stands up and scratches her head and sighs before noting the suspicious objects in her worn leatherbound notebook. If she doesn't write them down, she'll forget, after all. One of the pitfalls of brilliance is a mind too hard at work to perfectly recall details. One of these days she'll fix that.

    <Wind organ—ritual use? Stonework impressive; degree of longevity uncommon to humans. Design and paintwork once vibrant; suggests more than simple tomb. Priest? King? Old, crusted sleeping bag. This is a good sign.

    Shattered ring—conjury, strong. Prominent symbol at base. Unfamiliar (auran?) script, lamentably too ignorant to tell; probable opportunity cost for mark unacceptable at this time. Data too limited to speculate. Suggest retrieval for further study.>


    Anyway, apparently she was right. What a lovely surprise. "The markings look to relate to elemental wind and it carried strong conjuring magic, once upon a time. Conjury is a pretty broad school, but I wonder if this place used to be a sort of temple to elemental air. It's fairly obvious it isn't druidic, but something similar, maybe. More primitive animists? Anyway we should watch out in the event that we run into stray elementals. There might be—"

    She's stopped short in her reverie by a massive, snarling beast pulling the leg out from under her compatriot and lets out a shriek, dropping her sunrod and scrambling for her crossbow. Diana manages calmly to kill the one beast before Aria can get a shot off, or even an adequate grip on her weapon, but she takes aim at the remaining wolf and looses her readied bolt at the giant monstrosity!

    Spoiler
    Show
    Attack (1d20+3)[5]
    Damage (1d6)[4]

    Confirm critical (1d20+3)[8]
    Critical damage (1d6)[3][/roll]

  21. - Top - End - #21
    Ettin in the Playground
     
    King Tius's Avatar

    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Philadelphia, PA
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Age of Worms I: The Whispering Cairn [IC]

    Diana's training kicks in as she hits the floor. She lashes out with her sword, driving its tip up and through a soft spot in the wolf's inner shoulder. The sword punctures deep into the wolf's body, causing it to go limp and release her foot. Wasting no time, she quickly regains her feet, knocking the other starving wolf's bite away again with her shield. Flox steps up and brings his sword to bear on the mangy mutt. His mighty two-handed swing crashes down but connects with only stone. Luci drops back behind Aria for better cover. The two women fire their crossbows at the remaining wolf but the kerfuffle of melee fighting proves too hectic to land a mark.*

    The first wolf, realizing that Diana is too armored to be a quick meal, darts forward and goes for the bite-sized gnome. Aria feels the wolf's jaws rake across her armor but they fail to find purchase. Before Diana and Flox have a chance to turn and address the mangy wolf, a bigger, healthier looking wolf comes loping out from the den and moves in to attack. The pack leader does not look hungry in the least and has a straight line of scar tissue that bisects its face from forehead to muzzle. Older and smarter than its two pack mates, this wolf skirts around the skirmish and darts past Aria to hem in Luci. Since it double moved, it can't attack this round.

    Spoiler: Combat Summary
    Show

    Diana kills Wolf 2 and grants herself DR, ignoring her delayed damage. Everyone else misses.


    Spoiler: The Map
    Show




    Spoiler: Combat Statistics
    Show

    Aria = 9/9
    Diana= 11/11 DR 5/Adamantine
    Flox = 15/15
    Luci = 6/6


    *The wolf has cover and neither of you have Precise Shot, for a cumulative -8 to those shots. If I'm doing that incorrectly, let me know! It's been a long time since I DMed 3.5
    Last edited by King Tius; 2016-02-03 at 09:37 AM.
    Spoiler
    Show

    My Characters

    DMing
    Sanity Check: IC OOC
    Age of Worms in Eberron IC OOC

    Quote Originally Posted by mshady View Post
    Not sure of the details, I trust in King.
    Quote Originally Posted by RaggedAngel View Post
    "Hello, there. You seem to be in the middle of something overtly magical. Is this a bad time to talk?"
    Drawing OOTS Avatars Guide


  22. - Top - End - #22
    Titan in the Playground
     
    RaggedAngel's Avatar

    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Gender
    Female

    Default Re: Age of Worms I: The Whispering Cairn [IC]

    Diana half-turns to Flox, keeping her shield interposed between herself and the snarling wolf. "You handle this one, I'll take the big one!" Then, to the wolf itself, she whistles. "Come get some!"

    She moves away from the wolf in front of her, leaving herself open to attack, and she moves around the group to confront the leader of the pack. Diana keeps her shield up and lashes out with a measured strike, trying to force the beast to focus its attention on her. Her sword flashes again as she strikes, throwing light into the wolf's eyes just as her blade reaches its throat.

    Spoiler
    Show
    Diana Corus
    Spoiler
    Show
    Female Lawful Good Human Crusader, Level 1, Init 1, HP 11 (5)/11, Speed 20ft.
    AC 19, Touch 11, Flat-footed 18, Fort 3, Ref 1, Will 2, Base Attack Bonus 1, Action Points 5
    Longsword +3 (1d8+2, 19-20/x2)
    Light Hammer +3 / +2 (1d4+2, x2)
    Gauntlets +3 (1d3+2, x2)
    Banded Mail, Heavy Wooden Shield (+6 Armor, +2 Shield, +1 Dex)
    Abilities Str 14, Dex 12, Con 12, Int 10, Wis 14, Cha 14
    Condition None
    Steely Resolve
    5/5

    Granted Maneuvers
    1 - Minotaur Charge
    2 - Stone Bones
    3 - Crusader's Strike
    4 - Leading the Attack


    Move two spaces right, then two spaces down. Provokes an AoO from the lesser wolf; this should only matter if it trips her. If it deals 5 or more damage, her attack on the next wolf gets +1 to attack and damage.

    Leading the Attack: (1d20+3)[22]
    Damage: (1d8+2)[8]

    If she hits, everyone gets +4 to hit the big wolf until Diana's next turn, and she'll heal two points if the AoO hit her and did damage.
    Last edited by RaggedAngel; 2016-02-03 at 11:36 AM.
    Red Hand of Doom in Eberron IC | OOC | Rolls

    LGBTitP

    Thank you to Akrim.elf for my beautiful avatar.

  23. - Top - End - #23
    Titan in the Playground
     
    RaggedAngel's Avatar

    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Gender
    Female

    Default Re: Age of Worms I: The Whispering Cairn [IC]

    Spoiler: Critical Confirmation
    Show
    And that's why we use longswords, ladies and gentlemen.

    Confirmation: (1d20+3)[22]
    Crit damage: (1d8+2)[9]
    Red Hand of Doom in Eberron IC | OOC | Rolls

    LGBTitP

    Thank you to Akrim.elf for my beautiful avatar.

  24. - Top - End - #24
    Orc in the Playground
     
    Zoobity's Avatar

    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Chicago, IL

    Default Re: Age of Worms I: The Whispering Cairn [IC]

    If frowning was a reflex, Flox would do it as Diana approaches the larger wolf. He nods to her anyway. Seeing a clear path to the first wolf, however, he takes another 5-foot step and, stepping into the swing, brings the sword up at it.

    Spoiler: Power Attack
    Show
    To Hit: (1d20+3)[20]
    Damage: (2d6+7)[12]
    I roll 20s

  25. - Top - End - #25
    Firbolg in the Playground
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Age of Worms I: The Whispering Cairn [IC]

    "Kythri's kin," Luci snarls under her breath as her bolt skitters harmlessly away. Stepping gracefully alongside the bigger wolf, she drops her crossbow to the ground and unsheathes her longsword. She stabs gracefully at the wolf's torso, more with the finesse of a painter than the strength of a fencer.

    Free action: drop crossbow
    Move action: draw shortsword
    Free action: 5 foot step 1 square down
    Standard action: attack!

    Attack - (1d20-1)[16] that's a 20 if Diana's attack hits.
    Damage - (1d6)[4]
    Possible Crit Confirm - (1d20-1)[13]
    Extra Crit Damage - (1d6)[4]
    Last edited by OMG PONIES; 2016-02-03 at 10:05 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Vaz View Post
    Ponies, the Kim Karsdashian of GITP.
    This is what happens when they let me DM:
    Beyond the Horizon IC / OOC
    A Time to Die: Alpha IC / Bravo IC / OOC

  26. - Top - End - #26
    Ettin in the Playground
     
    King Tius's Avatar

    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Philadelphia, PA
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Age of Worms I: The Whispering Cairn [IC]

    Diana keeps her shield up as she pursues the boss wolf, fending off yet another bite from the remaining mangy mutt. Flox turns and makes quick work of it as Diana delivers a nearly-fatal blow to the scar-faced canine. Luci quickly changes tactics and draws her shortsword, delivering the killing blow to the lead wolf before it even has a chance to nip at her. The considerable amount of dust kicked up by this quick melee begins to settle and mix with the freshly-spilled blood oozing out onto the stone floor. The chorus of strange whispers swell from a gust of wind outside, adding a dramatic crescendo to the end of the fight before quieting down again.

    Combat is over! Everyone gains 225 XP (marked in the OOC). Now that the map is spreading out a bit, please let me know which areas you'd like to move to. The first two intersections were basic enough that I could just take over, but now you have some legitimate choices ahead.
    Spoiler
    Show

    My Characters

    DMing
    Sanity Check: IC OOC
    Age of Worms in Eberron IC OOC

    Quote Originally Posted by mshady View Post
    Not sure of the details, I trust in King.
    Quote Originally Posted by RaggedAngel View Post
    "Hello, there. You seem to be in the middle of something overtly magical. Is this a bad time to talk?"
    Drawing OOTS Avatars Guide


  27. - Top - End - #27
    Titan in the Playground
     
    RaggedAngel's Avatar

    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Gender
    Female

    Default Re: Age of Worms I: The Whispering Cairn [IC]

    Diana pauses for a moment after the last wolf drops, waiting to hear if another one is going to approach from the shadows. When nothing else presents itself, she relaxes slightly, stretching her back and rolling her sword in her hand. She takes out a cloth and wipes it clean, her eyes still on the entrance to the wolves' makeshift den. "Everyone is uninjured, right? I'm glad we were ready for a fight, and that the Flame was watching over us."

    She bows her head for a moment, then raises it again. "We should probably go check out their den; make sure there aren't any other sleeping wolves. And let's make sure to stick close together, in case there are more."
    Red Hand of Doom in Eberron IC | OOC | Rolls

    LGBTitP

    Thank you to Akrim.elf for my beautiful avatar.

  28. - Top - End - #28
    Ettin in the Playground
     
    King Tius's Avatar

    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Philadelphia, PA
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Age of Worms I: The Whispering Cairn [IC]

    It requires you to get down on your hands and knees, but you are able to navigate the rubble and enter the wolf den once you are sure there are no more coming to meet you. The far side of the rubble is rank with the smell of wild animals, but you manage to keep your porridge and jerky down. Irregular piles of rubble litter the den, as do hundreds of bones and bone fragments from the wolves' past meals. Most of these belong to animals, but a few are unmistakably human. In the northern half of the den, half-buried under a pile of humanoid bones, is an old leather backpack. The bag contains an elaborate lantern of indigo metal inset with indigo class panes. Aria determines that the lantern does not have any magical properties and guesses it could fetch around 50 gp on the dwindling artifact market in town.

    Spoiler: Indigo Lantern
    Show




    Checking the opposite side of the den you discover an intricately carved armband of unmistakable elven craftsmanship, bearing a repeating leaf motif. This is also devoid of magical properties and is easily worth 75 gp, possibly even more to an elf. While climbing back out of the wolf den, a piece of rubble shifts and you find what appears to be a marble index finger. It appears to have been cracked off of a larger statue.
    Spoiler
    Show

    My Characters

    DMing
    Sanity Check: IC OOC
    Age of Worms in Eberron IC OOC

    Quote Originally Posted by mshady View Post
    Not sure of the details, I trust in King.
    Quote Originally Posted by RaggedAngel View Post
    "Hello, there. You seem to be in the middle of something overtly magical. Is this a bad time to talk?"
    Drawing OOTS Avatars Guide


  29. - Top - End - #29
    Orc in the Playground
     
    Zoobity's Avatar

    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Chicago, IL

    Default Re: Age of Worms I: The Whispering Cairn [IC]

    Flox takes a moment to gather floxself and rolls floxshoulders before shrugging. "I could have done better." After assessing quickly the group's status, Flox begins watching again for any more attackers. As the treasures are brought up by the more graceful among them, Flox insists on handling each in turn, passing them back and forth between floxhands, admiring the workmanship. "These are quite beautiful, I think. Think about it, to shape light to your will. This person must have loved her job." Flox brushes it briefly past floxcheek and then gestures with it to the rest of the group. "Who would like it?" Flox then steps back into the main hall. "We have more to do!"
    I roll 20s

  30. - Top - End - #30
    Titan in the Playground
     
    RaggedAngel's Avatar

    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Gender
    Female

    Default Re: Age of Worms I: The Whispering Cairn [IC]

    When Flox offers up the lantern Diana walks over, taking a vial filled with a viscous, clear liquid off of her belt. "I have a couple vials of oil, actually. No lantern; I was planning on using the oil in case we needed to set up a trap or burn something. But we could actually use the lantern, at least until we go back to town. It might be nice to enjoy its light before selling it off. Seems proper, almost."

    Diana gestures to Aria. "Once her sunrod runs out, if we're here that long, we can try to light it up. If not, maybe it can light our supper tonight. But I can carry it for now, or you can. I brought a sack in case we were lucky enough to find anything valuable." She produces the sack from a side pocket of her backpack, holding it open for Flox.
    Red Hand of Doom in Eberron IC | OOC | Rolls

    LGBTitP

    Thank you to Akrim.elf for my beautiful avatar.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •