Support the GITP forums on Patreon
Help support GITP's forums (and ongoing server maintenance) via Patreon
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Dwarf in the Playground

Kobold

Default [D&D 3.5] The Breath of Yggdrasil, Chapter 1: Jerrahar OOC

Hey all, and welcome!

I'll put up the IC in 36 hours from now at the latest. And expect setting notes to be added as well over the next few days (I'm still digitizing all of my notes, which is taking much longer than it ought to..)

For now, just claim a color and say hi to everyone!

Also - Few things before we get started

• Once the IC goes up, my aim is at least one post on every weekday. Weekends are world-building/free time.
    • If you think you'll be unable to post regularly for a while, please make sure you let us/me know. Ideally, also leave a few if/then statements.
    • I'll roll your initiative, and for most non-boss encounters I'll roll all the enemies as one group. For most encounters, that creates 3 groups.

1. Players that go before the enemies.
      2. Enemies
      3. Players that go after the enemies.

• Within these groups, actions are resolved in the order they are posted in.
    • Once the enemies have acted for the first time, groups 1 and 3 are merged. For simplicity, I count this as "Player Turn 2", and this turn is entirely resolved in the order it's posted in. Once Player Turn 2 ends, the monsters take a turn, after which Player Turn 3 starts, and so an and so forth.
    • If you don't post for 24 hours in a combat sequence, your fellow players may post for you.

Player Character Name Race Classes Initiative mod XP
    Edge Qarmoxt Xiuhcatl Lizardfolk Crusader 5 // Barbarian 3 / Fighter 2 +1 11000
    Thokk_Smash Fahim Ibn La-Ahad Fire Genasi Factotum 5 // Warblade 5 +15 11000
    Breitheamh Nyxius Falath Dark Whisper Gnome Shadowcaster5//Stalker5 +6 11000
    Ravanan Aliyah al'Shajarat-al-Hayat Pixie Archivist 5 // Factotum 1 / Wizard 4 +3 11000

Spoiler: Original 16
    Show

1. What game system are you running (D&D, Call of Cthulu, Palladium, GURPS, etc.), and if applicable what edition (Original, Classic, Revised, 1st, 2nd, 3rd, 5th, 10th, etc.)?

D&D 3.5, gestalt

2. What 'type' or variant of game will it be (i.e. "Shadow Chasers" or "Agents of Psi" for d20 Modern)? What is the setting for the game (eg. historic period, published or homebrewed campaign setting, alternate reality, modern world, etc.)?

Homebrewed campaign setting.

3. How many Players are you looking for? Will you be taking alternates, and if so, how many?

Probably 4. I don't really think alternates are fair, but I might add on more players as you explore other worlds. Especially if people drop.

4. What's the gaming medium (OOTS, chat, e-mail etc.)?

These forums.

5. What is the characters' starting status (i.e. experience level)?

You start out at 11000 XP, 1000 into level 5. After your first mission, we're going to time-skip for two years in shirtless montages and a bit of background RP, by the end of which you'll be level 10. The first mission (the level 5 one) should have about 7-8 encounters in it.
    I only need a sheet for level 5, but I recommend you keep the skip in mind when building.

6. How much gold or other starting funds will the characters begin with?

9000 GP at the start. 73500 GP after the time skip.

7. Are there any particular character classes, professions, orders, etc. that you want... or do not want? What are your rules on 'prestige' and/or homebrewed classes?

To be perfectly honest, while I do love a good build, I'm running this campaign here because I want to see interesting characters explore this world. This game is gestalt mainly to allow you to add some flavor, not so you can stack charisma to AC and saves three times. With that said though, you're absolutely free to play a tier 1 class if it fits your concept. But if you know you're an experienced player, keep the rest of the party in mind when you start optimizing. In terms of benchmarks I expect you to be able to keep up with a single classed sorcerer with access to splatbooks.

As for prestige classes: prestige away. You may run a PrC on both sides at the same time. However, PrCs that involve organizations (like Rainbow Servant or Mage of the Arcane Order) usually have to be earned. They can be retrained into once you do earn them.
    I allow dual progression on one side of your gestalt, but no early entry into dual progression classes and if you're going into dual progression I want you to qualify entirely on the side you take the PrC.
    For other PrCs early entry is probably fine, but run it by me just in case.

8. What races, subraces, species, etc. are allowed for your game? Will you allow homebrewed races or species? 'Prestige' races or species?

Your starting world is home to many different races/species. If it's published in an official 3.5 source and you want to play it, we can probably try to fit it in.
    You're allowed one template.

One thing of note here is that I'm changing most of the maximum ages for the different races. I'm not going to do the whole refluff now, but suffice to say that even the most long-lived races won't age much beyond 150, with the exception of true elves (who don't live on Jerrahar), half-dragons and dragons.

Spoiler: Here's a list of what's definitely on the world
    Show

Humans
    Desert Orcs (use water orc ability modifiers)
    Dragons (Only from SRD, and with the limitation that one side of your gestalt will be taken up entirely by Dragon racial HD. A Dragon of any age always has an LA of 4. Sovereign Archetypes are allowed, but Loredrake only adds one sorcerer level. If a wyrmling you want to use would have too many HD at the start of the game, run it by me.)
    Half-Elves (with elven, grey elven, drow or star elven (OA) stats, if you prefer. If you go with the Drow, you still take the LA.)
    Kobolds (No to Sovereign Archetypes, yes to web enhancements.)
    Lizardfolk
    Pixies (Fey tend to live near oases)

Core + Player's Guide to Faerun
    Lesser Aasimar (still +1 LA)

Dark Sun Core Rules – The Burnt World of Athas
    Aarakocra
    Thri-Kreen

Expanded Psionics Handbook
    Githyanki (note that the psionic version of Githyanki are humanoids)
    Githzerai (note that the psionic verion of Githzerai are humanoids)
    Thri-Kreen (psionic)

Fiend Folio + Player's Guide to Faerun
    Lesser Mechanatrix (Still 1 LA)
    Lesser Shyft (For 1 LA, get 3/day swift etherealness (self only) instead of normal SLAs)

Monster Manuals
    Jaebrin
    Lizardfolk, Blackscale (Don't have to take HD)
    Lizardfolk, Poison Dusk
    Warforged (can be made large for +2 LA, including stat changes (+8 Str, -2 Dex, +4 Con, +3 NA, 10 ft space, 10 ft reach, 40 ft base land speed))

Races of Destiny:
    Half Ogre

Races of Stone:
    Goliath (These are refluffed to have Earth-Genasi like features. Granite-like skin etc.)
    Whisper Gnome

Sandstorm
    Asherati

Spoiler: Homebrew, also on this world
    Show

Air Genasi
    Racial Abilities: Air Genasi have the following racial traits:
    • -2 Strength
    • +2 Dexterity
    • +2 Intelligence
    Air Genasi are quick of hand and sharp of wit, but their lithe builds means they aren't the strongest of races, physically.
    • Medium size
    • An Air Genasi's base speed is 30 feet
    • +2 racial bonus on Jump and Tumble checks.
    • Spell-like Abilities: At Will - Feather Fall.
    • Burst (Su): Three times per day, as a free action, an Air Genasi can increase his or her speed by 10 feet, plus 10 feet per four character levels beyond 1st, to a maximum increase of 30 feet at 9th character level and higher. These bursts of speed are considered a competence bonus to the Air Genasi's base speed. A burst of speed lasts 3 rounds.
    • Automatic Languages: Jerrahar Common. Bonus Languages: Any (except secret languages such as Druidic.)
    • Level Adjustment: +1

Fire Genasi
    • +2 Dexterity
    • -2 Wisdom
    • +2 Charisma
    Fire genasi have a natural grace and air of confidence about them, but are often impulsive and occasionally volatile.
    • Medium size.
    • A Fire Genasi's base speed is 30 feet.
    • +2 racial bonus on Intimidate and Perform (Dance) checks.
    • Weapon Proficiency: Fire Genasi are automatically proficient with the Scimitar. A Fire Genasi treats the scimitar as a light weapon (rather than a one-handed weapon) for all purposes, including fighting with two weapons.
    • Hair Aflame (SU): Fire Genasi have wavy red hair that dances like fire. A Fire Genasi's hair gives off light equivalent in brightness to a torch. The “hair” looks like a regular flame, but it creates no heat and doesn’t use oxygen. If the Fire Genasi so desires, they may supress this light as a free action, which turns their hair ash grey. As a standard action that can be used at will, they may "reignite" their hair. For the purpose of interacting with darkness effects, this counts as a 2nd level spell.
    • Spell-Like Abilities: Control Flame (Sp): Fire genasi can cause a nonmagical fire within 10 feet of them to diminish to the level of coals or flare to the brightness of daylight and double the normal radius of its illumination. This ability does not change the heat output or fuel consumption of the dire source, lasts 5 minutes, and may be done one per day. They use this ability as a sorcerer of their character level.
    • Resistance to fire 5
    • Automatic Languages: Jerrahar Common. Bonus Languages: Any (except secret languages such as Druidic.)

Tieflings
    • +2 Intelligence
    • -2 Wisdom
    • +2 Charisma
    Tieflings posess an almost unnatural talent for cunning, law, and negotiation, but are often more calculating than emphatic.
    • Medium size.
    • A Tiefling's base speed is 30 feet.
    • Darkvision out to 60 feet.
    • Spell-Like Abilities: 1/day Charm Person as a sorcerer of their character level.
    • Resistance to fire 5
    • +2 racial bonus on opposed Charisma checks versus outsiders
    • +2 racial bonus to Forgery
    • Automatic Languages: Jerrahar Common, Infernal, Bonus Languages: Any (except secret languages such as Druidic.)

Spoiler: Templates
    Show

Core:
    Half-Dragon (Always gain wings. Half-dragon bloodlines are ancient, and all date back to before the war. The draconic families are almost exclusively wealthy, noble, and very careful about who they breed with. All of these lines are Chromatic.)

Dragon #313
    Half-Nymph

Fiend Folio
    Half-Fey

Monster Manual III
    Spellwarped

Savage Species
    Winged (Kobold and Mechanatrix only. No Dex or Wis gain. +1 LA.)

Tome of Magic
    Shadow

Web Enhancement
    Mineral Warrior (10/03/03) (Goliath/Earth Genasi only)
    Divine Minion (02/09/05) (You're allowed to refluff the animals and background so long as it's mechanically the same. The wildshape does not qualify you for master of many forms, but may be used to power it.)

Spoiler: Savage Progressions
    Show

The following are allowed, with the restriction that you have to take all the levels.
    Most lycanthropes (without the forced alignment changes).
    Fire Giants (SS)

9. By what method should Players generate their attributes/ability scores and Hit Points?

Point Buy:
    LA 0 – 42
    LA 1 – 32
    LA 2 – 25
    LA 3 – 18
    LA 4 – 10

HP is always max of you HD.

10. Does your game use alignment? What are your restrictions, if so?

Yep, and alignment is what you play, not what it says on your sheet. With that said though, I don't enforce alignment restrictions on classes except that paladins have to be lawful good, neutral good or lawful neutral, and that clerics have to follow their deity's teachings to some extent. Clerics and Favored Souls are rare in this setting by the way. There's about 1 per divine rank of the deity on any planet where the deity is worshipped. Jerrahar has over a million people on it.

11. Do you allow multi-classing, or have any particular rules in regards to it?

No special rules, no silly xp penalties.

12. Will you be doing all of the die rolling during the course of the game? Will die rolls be altered, or left to the honor system? If players can make die rolls, which ones do they make, how should they make the rolls, and how should they report them?

I'll roll your passives from time to time, and I'll roll initiative, but other than that you make your own rolls. I'll usually roll things open if I think it's a big deal and you are aware of it happening.

13. Are there any homebrewed or optional/variant rules that your Players should know about? If so, list and explain them, or provide relevant links to learn about these new rules.

Yes, see below.

14. Is a character background required? If so, how big? Are you looking for anything in particular (i.e. the backgrounds all ending up with the characters in the same city)?

Absolutely! This is what I'll mainly be selecting on. Try to keep it skirt length. And give me a character you love, rather than something you think I'll like.

Your background has to somehow end up with your trying to get into the academy. The game starts in Al Marj, two days before your final trial. Your team for the trial will be the other PCs and maybe a NPC or two. You've been given their names, but nothing more.

15. Does your game involve a lot of hack & slash, puzzle solving, roleplaying, or a combination of the above?

All three, but since this is pbp probably more RP and less puzzle solving.

16. Are your Players restricted to particular rulebooks and supplements, or will you be allowing access to non-standard material? What sources can Players use for their characters?

Most official published 3.5 is fair game. If it's dubious or obscure, run it by me.

If you want your character to know spells or powers not in core or XPH, that means you either found an ancient tablet telling you how to cast them, or you "invented"/researched the spell yourself. In other words, you're allowed a few, but don't go too crazy with them. I'll probably add the SpC to the "spells available" list after you've done the time skip, and add more books as you discover more worlds.

If it's from Serpent Kingdoms, the answer is no.

I generally don't like Dragonlance, so you can request from it, but with the exception of a few feats (like Keen Intellect) the answer is probably going to be no.

Dark Sun is one of my favourite settings, and the 3.5 books from athas.org are really cool. And it's a good thematic fit as well. So you can request things that aren't too broken from those.

3.x Dragon Magazine on request. I own most volumes and I love them for inspiration but I'm not really comfortable blanket pre-approving them.

Pathfinder hype is mostly lost on me. Personally I feel they overstreamlined. I like the Alchemist and the Witch so I'll allow those. Others on request, but I'm likely to favor the 3.5 equivalent.
    I will admit DSP is amazing though. I'll allow Path of War. But I'm fairly new to it, so I may have some questions or revisions if you go with that. I also favor their Soulknife over the 3.5 one.

Homebrew.. I'm going to be honest here: I don't like most homebrew out there. You're free to make a request, but realize that the homebrew you request reflects your sense of game balance.

Spoiler: House Rules
    Show

The list below is not entirely complete. My RL table already knows these rules and writing them out takes surprisingly long. But the most important bits are in there.

A note up front: While these rules are fairly permissive, I'm looking to run a mid OP game here. To be fair, I'm into TO so my mid may be your high. But if you play a lot of arena and the like, try to go for flavor over raw power and be mindful of your fellow players.

I run my games as fair as I can. If I use homebrew, it will be available to you. If I ban something, I don't use it myself. I do customize a lot. You'll meet a lot of things with class levels or custom feats.

I try to create my worlds as living and breathing as possible. I have a home-made system I use to have factions compete with each other through die rolls. Your impact on this will likely be noticeable, but expect the world to move on even if you're not around.

It's still a very far way away, but it may be useful for planning: I always run my games as E20. That means you stop gaining levels at level 20, and start gaining feats instead, as you would in E6.

Spoiler: Mechanical things
    Show
    BAB and Saves
    Use fractional BAB and saves. The +2 on a good save only applies the first time.

Spoiler: Feats
    Show

Bonus Feats
    You gain the following feats are free: Able Learner, Dodge, Improved Unarmed Strike, Point Blank Shot.

Furthermore
    • When your base Dex is 14 or over, you gain Weapon Finesse as a bonus feat.
    • When your base Con is 14 or over, you gain Endurance as a bonus feat.
    • When you have 8 ranks in Concentration, you gain either Combat Casting, Combat Manifesting or Skill Focus (Concentration) a bonus feat (your choice).
    • When you have 11 ranks in Hide, you gain Darkstalker as a bonus feat.
    • When you have 8 ranks in Gather Information, you gain Urban Tracking as a bonus feat.
    • When you have 8 ranks in Spellcraft you gain Eschew Materials as a bonus feat.
    • When you have 8 ranks in Survival, you gain Track as a bonus feat.
    • When you have 8 ranks in Craft (Weaponsmith) and Craft (Armorsmith) you gain Craft Magic Arms and Armor as a bonus feat.

These do not grant anything if you already have the feat. That is the price of having it early.
    And if I even hear Chaos Shuffle I'm going to start throwing virtual books.

Feat Changes

Two-Weapon Fighting is merged into one feat that upgrades when you qualify for higher tiers. Additionally, this feat now allows you to attack once each with two different held weapons as a standard action or as part of a Spring Attack.

Multi-Weapon Fighting is merged into one feat that upgrades when you qualify for higher tiers. Additionally, this feat now allows you to attack once each with two different held weapons as a standard action or as part of a Spring Attack.

Metamagic
    Metamagics stack only with respect to the original spell, not with respect to eachother.
    For example:
    • A Twinned Maximized Disintegrate creates two rays, one of which is maximized.
    • Occular Spell does not circumvent the “personal/fixed range” clause of Persistent Metamagic.
    • Using Born of Three Thunders does not make a spell a legal target for use with Explosive Spell.

Divination spells may not be the target of offensively oriented Metamagics, such as Metamagics that deal damage or drain levels.
    Stacking reducers are fine, just don't go too crazy with them.

Mindsigh, Telepathy and [Mind Affecting]t
    A creature with immunity to [Mind Affecting], whether due to creature type, a Mind Blank spell, or otherwise, can opt to completely shut out all telepathy and every other attempt to contact their mind.
    When a creature does so, they interact with Mindsight in the same way that a creature with the Darkstalker feat would interact with Blindsight.
    However, this renders such a creature completely unable to communicate telepathically or to either send or receive information through other mental channels such as an Arcane Eye spell, a Trickery Devotion Simulacrum or a Status spell.
    This blockade persists for as long as the Mind Blank or other immunity to [Mind Affecting] persists, and may be raised or lowered at will, as a standard action.

Lifesense
    The light given off by a living creature is blocked by darkness effects. For the sake of sanity, any shadow effect that sort of envelops a character (such as the Shadowcraft Mage's Cloak of Shadows or the Armor Of Darkness spell) completely blocks the light you give off.

Spoiler: Skills
    Show

Linked Skills
    The skills listed below are grouped. Their modifiers may be altered by different effects, but buying a rank in one skill gives you the same amount in the other skills, up to their normal limit. Note that this does not let you “double up” by ranking both skills, you just get full ranks in both while only paying for one. This replaces synergy bonuses.
    If a grouped skill is a class skill for you, all other skills grouped with it to automatically become class skills for you as well.
    Grouped skills are:
    • Autohypnosis and Concentration
    • Balance, Tumble and Perform (Dance)
    • Bluff, Disguise and Sleight of Hand
    • Climb, Jump, and Swim
    • Decipher Script And Forgery
    • Disable Device, Open Lock, Knowledge (Architecture and Engineering), Profession (Mechanic) and Profession (Siege Engineer)
    • Escape Artist and Use Rope
    • Handle Animal and Ride
    • Hide and Move Silently
    • Gather information and Sense Motive
    • Knowledge (Geography) and Profession (Navigator)
    • Knowledge (History) and Knowledge (Nobility and Royalty)
    • Knowledge Knowledge (Nature) and Survival
    • Listen, Search, and Spot
    • Psicraft and Spellcraft
    • Use Magic Device and Use Psionic Device

Background Skills
    In addition to their normal allotment of regular skill ranks, all characters gain 2 background skill ranks each time they gain a level in a PC class. The character's Intelligence modifier doesn't adjust this value. Background skill ranks can be used to gain ranks only in background skills, not adventuring skills. Characters can expend their regular skill ranks on background skills if they desire.

Background skills are:
    • Appraise
    • Climb, Jump and Swim
    • Craft (Any)
    • Decipher Script and Forgery
    • Disable Device, Open Lock, Knowledge (Architecture and Engineering), Profession (Mechanic) and Profession (Siege Engineer)
    • Knowledge (Geography) and Profession (Navigator)
    • Knowledge (History) and Knowledge (Nobility and Royalty)
    • Perform (Any)
    • Profession (Any that wasn't already mentioned)

Additionally, everybody gets full free ranks in Profession (Sailor)

Skill Tricks

The Skill Tricks from the list below unlock for free as you qualify for them. You can know a number of skill tricks equal to up to 1/2 your character level, rounded up. The skill tricks from the list below can be used at will. Once you know a Skill Trick, you can only forget it with a Psychic Reformation.
    The skill tricks from complete scoundrel not included in this list can still be taken as normal (i.e. they cost 2 skill points and, unless otherwise noted they can be performed only once per encounter, or once per minute for scenes that don't involve combat or other conflict.) Paying skill points for skill tricks does not allow you to go over your limit for the number of skill tricks you can learn.

• Acrobatic Backstab
    • Back on Your Feet
    • Clarity of Vision
    • Collector of Stories
    • Conceal Spellcasting
    • Corner Perch
    • Dismount Attack
    • Escape Attack
    • Extreme Leap
    • Group Fake-Out
    • Healing Hands
    • Hidden Blade
    • Leaping Climber
    • Mosquito's Bite
    • Never Outnumbered
    • Nimble Stand
    • Opening Tap
    • Point it Out
    • Second Impression
    • Shrouded Dance
    • Slipping Past
    • Spot the Weak Point
    • Sudden Draw
    • Timely Misdirection
    • Tumbling Crawl
    • Up the Hill
    • Walk the Walls
    • Wall Jumper
    • Whip Climber

On knowledge rolls
    I sometimes allow the “wrong” knowledge skill to identify/learn about a monster. For instance, someone with Knowledge (Nature) might be able to identify things about the anatomy of a Dragon, or someone with Knowledge (Psionics) might be able to identify the PLAs of an aberration.

Altered or Removed Skills

Diplomacy: is removed from the game as a skill you can rank.
    Diplomacy in the form of RP still plays an important part in this campaign. And dice rolls definitely still have a place in things like knowledge (nobility) rolls for proper etiquette or forgery for "official" documents. But no more turning Balors into your pet kittens because you dipped marshal.

Martial Lore is removed from the game as a skill you can rank. Instead, martial lore checks are now made using your highest Initiator level +3 + your intelligence modifier.

Spoiler: Weapons and Items
    Show

Permanencied Spells and Common Effects
    Permanencied Spells re-activate 1d4 minutes after being dispelled. For the caster level, use the lower of the two castings (the original spell and the permanency). The XP costs are unchanged.

All the Common Item Effects listen under MIC p. 234 (Enhancement bonuses to abilities, resistance bonuses to saves, natural armor and deflection bonuses to AC) are no longer available in that form.
    Instead, they can be gained through training, with the gold cost being refluffed as the required equipment or special academy training. Because your character actually learns these things, they are no longer considered magical effects.
    That means that these bonuses persist in an anti magic field. Their type is unchanged. So an enhancement bonus is still enhancement, etc.

Weapons and Items
    • Anyone proficient with a whip may use it as if he had the Lasher's "Third Hand" class ability (Sword and Fist p.25)
    • Shield Bonuses now also apply to touch AC if the shield is worn. (So this does not apply to animated shields.)
    • Amulet of Mighty Fists has its cost reduced to twice the price of a normal weapon enhancement. So +1 costs 4,000 gold, +2 costs 16,000, etc.
    • Untyped bonuses don't stack with themselves (think of things like Nightsticks and Eager Weapons.)
    • Spellblade (PGtF 120) is allowed, but with a few tweaks. It now grants infinite SR against a single spell or power. So it only works against spells that allow SR or PR. If it is used for immunity against a power, it is called a Psiblade. Additionally, any given instance of a spell may only be redirected once by a spellblade. At a second contact, the spell must either be absorbed or let through.
    • And obvious things, such as Starmantle Cloak not stacking with Evasion and items like Dust of Sneezing and Choking being banned.

This list is not complete, but it should give you an idea of what I will and won't allow.

Spoiler: Combat
    Show

Death Threshold
    You die at -10 or – half your total hp, whichever is lower. You bleed out 10% of your max negative hp per round. This is added behind the comma (so if you have a floor of -12, you lose 2 hp every 5th round of bleeding out.)

Spoiler: Casting
    Show

On XP costs
    All abilities that have an XP cost require payment of that cost, no matter the origin or mode of the cast. I don't care if it's cast as (Su). I don't care if you summoned an Efreeti. You're still paying.
    In that same vein, things like Thought Bottling or Restoration/Drain combos will get DM smote.

On a happier note, crafting has its XP cost removed.

On Crafting
    Crafting does not have an XP cost unless the spells used in the craft have one.
    However, I do not allow ANY cost reducers other than the 50% price reduction you get from crafting a magical item yourself.
    I do allow use of craft points, as per the SRD variant.

On Cast Times
    If you mimic a spell, you use the casting time of the mimicked spell or the original, whichever is longer. Supernatural Abilities and SLAs take the same amount of time to “cast” as regular spells.

On psionics and transparency
    I treat psionics as the third school of magic.
    That means there is full transparency in all ways, in the same way you would expect there to be transparency between arcane and divine magic. Note that this does not mean that psionic characters qualify for feats or classes that require arcane or divine casting, or vice versa.

Cantrips
    Cantrips may be used at-will. (This include cure minor wounds. I don't particularly mind healing between combat).

Metamagic (posted in feats, but putting it here too for completeness)
    Metamagics stack only with respect to the original spell, not with respect to eachother.
    For example:
    • A Twinned Maximized Disintegrate creates two rays, one of which is maximized.
    • Occular Spell does not circumvent the “personal/fixed range” clause of Persistent Metamagic.
    • Using Born of Three Thunders does not make a spell a legal target for use with Explosive Spell.

Divination spells may not be the target of offensively oriented Metamagics, such as Metamagics that deal damage or drain levels.
    Stacking reducers are fine, just don't go too crazy with them.

Spoiler: Changes to Magic (SRD only) and Psionics
    Show

Spoiler: Magic
    Show

Abjuration
    • Disjunction suppresses magic items that fail their will save for 5 minutes. It still strips off all magical effects on the target without any check.
    • Mage Armor is now an Abjuration spell
    • Mind Blank - A creature under the effect of Mind Blank can opt to completely shut out all telepathy and other attempts to contact their mind.
      When a creature does so, they interact with Mindsight in the same way that a creature with the Darkstalker feat would interact with Blindsight.
      However, this renders such a creature completely unable to communicate telepathically or to either send or receive information through other mental channels such as an Arcane Eye spell, a Trickery Devotion Simulacrum or a Status spell.
      This blockade persists for as long as the Mind Blank or other immunity to [Mind Affecting] persists, and may be raised or lowered at will, as a standard action.
      The same can be done for morale effects, but this too works both ways.

Conjuration
    • Body Outside Body: On top of the limitations already in place, clones cannot use any Su abilities, SLAs, PLAs, manifesting, maneuvers, soul binding, infusions, invocations, shadowcasting or truespeaking. Incarnum is an exception to this ruling, and may be used by your clones, but you split your essentia between yourself and your clones. You may only have one instance of this spell active at any given time.
    • Gate has its calling function and xp cost removed.
    • Plane shift - The planes work a little differently in this campaign. This spell does still have a function, but it lets you get into or out of pocket dimensions (you'll mostly find these in ancient ruins).
    • Planar binding/ally – Summoners are very, very rare. There is a lot of lore behind this, which you'll need to discover for yourself as the game goes on. With that said, I'm going to allow this line with the caveat that I reserve the right to ban anything you want to summon without getting into debates.
    • Phantom Steed - Now has a casting time of one minute, down from 10 minutes.
    • (Greater) Teleport only works on planets, not between them, and planets all have ley-lines. I'll add more details to this later, but here is the short of it: You can teleport downstream of a ley-line at of least category 3 or upstream of a ley-line of at least category 5. When traveling upstream, the maximum distance travelled is halved. Also, you can't teleport through warded areas, meaning you have to either go around them (and there may not be a ley-line there) or go physically through the warded area.
    • Teleportation Circle can be dispelled both at the entry point and the exit point.

Divination
    • Detect Magic, (Greater) Arcane Sight - Cannot detect illusions unless you beat either the save first.
    • I reserve the right to not disclose everything (within reason) when you use a spell of the "please spill the entire plot" variety. I won't do this lightly, though.

Evocation:
    • Holy Word and similar spells like Blasphemy, Dictum or Word of Chaos all allow a will save to negate.
    • Miracle is not available to PCs except for exceptional situation involving quests and the like. This ban includes things like shadow emulations, Su abilities and items. For clerics with the luck domain, Miracle is replaced by Foresight.

Illusion
    • Shadow Conjuration/Evocation/Shades - Quasireality caps at 150%
    • Simulacrum is limited to one at a time (if the old one gets destroyed you can make a new one). If a Simulacrum attempts to cast Simulacrum or similar spells such as Ice Assassin, it is immediately destroyed. A Simulacrum can have no more HD than your character level.

Necromancy
    • Astral Projection: While using Astral Projection, the magic of your items follows you around. The gear you leave behind becomes mundane for the duration of the spell.
    • Death Watch has its [evil] tag removed

Transmutation
    • Fabricate now has a duration of 1 round/level, is SR: yes and allows a will save if used on attended items.
    • Glibness is now an immediate action with a duration of one round. The somatic component is removed.
    • Polymorph Any Object - is generally not available to PCs except for exceptional situations involving quests and the like.
    • Shapechange - Is allowed, but I reserve the right to veto (Su) abilities that I think are too powerful.

Universal
    • Wish is not available to PCs except for exceptional situation involving quests and the like. This includes things like using bound creatures or items.

Spoiler: Psionics
    Show

As far as I'm concerned recharge tricks fall into the category of infinite loops. I'm not even going to try to fix them. Just do us both a favor and don't use them.

• Timeless Body - Is banned except for plot usage. I won't use it on enemies either.
    • Metamorphosis, Greater - See shapechange. Caps at 25 HD.
    • Synchronicity – Allows you to ready the standard action it consumed only. If a manifested synchronicity did not consume a standard action, it is wasted. To translate: this means that twinned or linked Synchronicities are wasted. It also means that in situations like a combo with Schism, you couldn't use synchronicity with your second mind to ready for your normal mind. My issue with synchronicity is that it's too good for its level and PP cost. Schism, anticipatory strike, and linked power hustle are all still on the table.
    • Time Hop, Mass After exiting the Mass Time Hop, the subject of the spell can’t take any actions until its next turn.

Spoiler: ToB
    Show

Use the errata found here, with the following changes.

Page 23 – Warblade Battle Skill
    Remove errata entry.

All maneuvers that have a DC of 10 + Maneuver level + Str
    Change to Cha, Int or Wis as appropriate for your class (Crusader, Warblade and Swordsage respectively.)

The Stone Dragon maneuvers Colossus Strike, Earthstrike Quake and Mountain Avalanche are exempt from this ruling and are unchanged.

Page 68 - Iron Heart Surge [Complete Revision]
    Delete the entire entry (from both the errata and the original) and replace it with the following:

Spoiler: IHS
    Show
    Initiating Iron Heart Surge is a standard action. In some of the cases below, a standard action could normally not be taken. In these cases, the maneuver can be initiated regardless and, unless otherwise specified, consumes a standard action for that round.

Iron Heart Surge is capable of removing any one of the following conditions affecting the initiator (and only the initiator) each time it is initiated.

Confused, Dazzled, Entangled, Fascinated, Frightened, Immobilized, Shaken, Staggered, Turned. Wind-related effects.
    Any racial trait currently affecting the initiator (such as Light Sensitivity or a Vampire's weakness to sunlight). The source of this detriment is not removed, only the condition caused by the racial trait.
    Any rage effects, such as a Barbarian's Rage or a Frenzied berserker's Frenzy.

In the particular case of Entanglement, Iron Heart Surge breaks whatever substance was entangling the initiator in a 5 foot radius around him- or herself.

At the initiator's option, as a full round action that ends the initiator's turn, Iron Heart Surge may also be used to remove the Frozen Solid and Petrified conditions from themselves.

Alternatively, Iron Heart Surge is capable of suppressing any one of the following conditions affecting the initiator (and only the initiator) each time it is initiated, for a duration of one round:

Ability Damage (single score), Ability Drain (single score), Blinded, Caltrops Wounds, Deafened, Exhausted, Fatigued, Level Drained, Nauseated, On Fire, Paralyzed, Slowed, Sickened, Silenced.
    ToB Effects: The effects of Disrupting Blow, Douse the Flames, Covering Strike, Irresistible Mountain Strike and Overwhelming Mountain Strike.

Finally, Ironheart Surge may also be used gain a new save against Charm and Dominate effects any time a character is asked to do something that goes against their alignment, ideals or friendships.

A character who used Iron Heart Surge to break out of or suppress an effect remains immune to further application of that effect for the remainder of their turn. Once the next turn starts, this immunity ends and the character can once again be subjected to these status effects. Iron Heart surge may be used pre-emptively.

Any effect not listed above is outside of Iron Heart Surge's range of influence. These conditions cannot be removed (such as being dazed, stunned, plane shifted, teleported, grappled or pinned).

Page 71 - Comet Throw [Addition]
    After the last sentence, add "Both the first and second target are allowed a save. If either of them passes, the damage is halved for both, and the second target is not knocked prone."

Pages 74 & 75 - Strike of the Broken Shield
    Remove errata entry

Page 78 - Shadow Blink [Addition]
    Add "You can bring up to your maximum carrying capacity +50lbs with you when you initiate this maneuver. You cannot bring living creatures with you. This maneuver is a supernatural ability." to the end of the maneuver's text.

Page 79 - Shadow Jaunt [Addition]
    Add "You can bring up to your maximum carrying capacity +50lbs with you when you initiate this maneuver. You cannot bring living creatures with you. This maneuver is a supernatural ability." to the end of the maneuver's text.

Page 80 - Shadow Stride [Addition]
    Add "You can bring up to your maximum carrying capacity +50lbs with you when you initiate this maneuver. You cannot bring living creatures with you. This maneuver is a supernatural ability." to the end of the maneuver's text. .

Page 81 - Ancient Mountain Hammer
    Remove errata entry.

Page 82 - Elder Mountain Hammer
    Remove errata entry.

Page 84 - Mountain Hammer
    Remove errata entry.

Page 88 - Leaping Dragon Stance [Revision]
    Replace "While you are in this stance, you gain a +10-foot enhancement bonus on Jump checks." with "While you are in this stance, you gain a +10 enhancement bonus on Jump checks."

Page 97 - Claws of the Beast Class Feature
    Remove errata entry.

Page 134 - Fiery Blade [Clarification]
    If you do not know the Burning Blade maneuver, the benefits of the Fiery Blade ability allow you to initiate that maneuver multiple times in a single encounter. If you do know the Burning Blade maneuver, you can only use the Fiery Blade ability as an immediate action if you readied the Burning Blade maneuver.

Class-related fixes and bans
    You can only shadow pounce once per full cycle of initiative
    Divine impetus can grant a maximum of one extra swift action per full cycle of initiative.
    Every class with Taint in the name is banned.

Allowed homebrew classes: Note: any homebrew class has to be taken in it's entirety. No dipping. No PrC-ing out. You either take all of it or you don't take it at all.
    Magitech Templar

Allowed homebrew martial disciplines:
    Raging Storm
    The Black Heron
    Last edited by Breakfast; 2016-02-11 at 11:39 AM.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Dwarf in the Playground

Kobold

Default Re: [D&D 3.5] The Breath of Yggdrasil, Chapter 1: Jerrahar OOC

Setting notes

The campaign world consists of a series of “bubble worlds”, much Kingdom Hearts. These bubble worlds are connected by the world tree, Yggdrasil. You can travel up and down this tree, from one bubble world to another by navigating 2001: A Space Odyssey-esque warp tunnels with an airship.
    As you could probably tell from the flavor text, most of the world tree has not seen travel or trade for at least a few thousand years. So the “technology levels” and cultures vary greatly from bubble to bubble. You'll meet things from slavers and magipunk salvagers to savages that don't know any magic at all, from elemental planes fighting off colonization by harvesters to comet-sized hives of psionic bugs, There may even still be some old world mages around.

The state of the worlds in a nutshell, as far as you would know it, is this:

Life in the bubbles worlds became hard, or even impossible, as the tree almost died due to a war between Sigl and Mechanus, the two greatest worlds that ever were. Now, thousands of years later, you live in the ruins of one of the “fruits” that a few refugees from Sigil managed to flee to, a desert world called Jerrahar. These refugees attempted to uplift the native Asherati and make the most of their lives here, but with magic slowly slipping away from the world, most of their technology and civilization were lost with time. In this setting most races age in exactly the same way as humans do, with the exception of half-elves, who live to about 150, half dragons who live to about 350-400, and dragons, of which there are only a handful of recently hatched wyrmlings on Jerrahar.

Over the past 200 years or so the tree has finally started coming back to life somewhat and magic is slowly returning to the worlds. On Jerrahar, this magic has manifested itself in rare individuals who spontaneously developed arcane or psionic gifts, or a deep connection to the divine. This, combined with the rediscovery of long lost ruins and airship technology has seen Jerrahar blossom. Trade with other worlds and magically aided crafting have led the desert planet into a renaissance. Quality of life has gone up in general, especially so for the rich, and there is a huge upsurge in culture and art accompanied by an equally large demand for exotic goods and historical relics.

Jerrahar only owns a very limited numbers of airships, most of them old-world fixer-ups. Getting onto an airship crew is no small feat. The selection process is extremely competitive and prospective sailors, technicians, navigators and captains are all tested to the extreme in both their intellectual and physical capabilities. Fortunately for you, you've already made the first cut. You are all prospective students in the final rounds of selection for the prestigious AeroTech Academy. You're about to be sent out on an assignment. A trial, of sorts. You'll work in a small team, and your performance will be graded. If you rank sufficiently high, you'll be admitted to the academy.

Spoiler: Technologies and transportation unique to Jerrahar
    Show

Gravity orbs
    These are a relatively recent invention, and are based off airship engines. They produce a lift effect, though it's nowhere even near as strong as an actual airship. They vary in range from about half a foot to 3 feet in diameter, and have an obsidian look to them. Gravity orbs are always cold to the touch, and can absorb a great deal of heat. During daytime, the sunlight keeps them warm enough for them to not lose any energy. Smaller orbs function for about half an hour without a heat source, larger ones can go for a few hours. The orbs are often kept in fire at night, to allow them to be used again before dawn. Gravity orbs function over any solid surface. They do not work over a liquid.

Sandskiffs
    These hover just a few feet above the ground, using 4 gravity orbs in smaller models, and up to 20 in their larger cousins. They are like trimarans (think Waterworld.)
    Because of the way the orbs in sandskiffs produce their “lift”, skiffs are the most comfortable over loose sand. They can go over gravel, pebbles or even solid stone, but the ride gets increasingly bumpy and might even shake apart the skiff.
    The lift effect doesn't work over water, and most skiffs don't actually float (the sandblasted wood usually has a leak or two).
    They are flown using sails, and will usually angle in heavier winds, so that only the gravity orbs of the hull and one of the two wings are used. Experienced skiff sailors sometimes use this to get more mileage out of their gravity orbs. Almost all skiffs have the option to fold back their sail, to create a hang glider of sorts. The design intent was to help with sinkholes and sliding dunes, but the more adventurous sailors sometimes use this to jump off dunes. Much to the lament of anyone who's ever worked in skiff maintenance - jumping off dunes is not particularly good for a hull..

Sandbarges
    Much slower and bulkier than sandskiffs, barges can carry a great deal more goods (and cannons). These use sails, but are often additionally pulled by large beasts of burden.

Spoiler: Jerrahar specific domesticated animals
    Show

Camels and Desert Falcons are just like they are on earth. Camels are used for riding and kept in herds for meat and milk. Falcons are used for hunting.

Crodlu look like a scaled hybrid between an ostrich and a lizard. They stand at 7 feet and weigh around 6-700 pounds. Crodlu are capable of manipulating objects with their clawed forearms, though they are not intelligent enough to use tools effectively. They have poor eyesight which they make up for with their keen sense of smell. With training a Crodlu can make an excellent war mount.
    Spoiler: Crodlu picture
    Show

Like Crodlu, Erdlu are bipedal bird-like creatures. They are a bit smaller and a lot more docile. Unlike Crodlu, Erdlu have feathers and wings, though they don't use these wings for flying. (The wings are used in mating displays, to shade chicks, and to regulate their body heat.)
    Erdlu are commonly kept as herd animals for their eggs and meat. They are omnivorous and will eat anything from grass to insects and snakes, which makes a herder's life a bit easier. They can be trained into fine riding animals for small riders, though they are very skittish so they don't make for great combat mounts.
    Spoiler: Erdlu picture
    Show

Inix are a species of quadruped lizards that weigh roughly two tons. They have tall bodies that end in long slender tails and can grow up to 16 feet long. Inix that aren't fed every other day get increasingly aggressive, and have a reputation for turning on their handlers and swallowing them whole. Because of this, Inix are primarily used around cities and large oases. Sometimes decadent caravan owners will ride an Inix on desert treks as a display of wealth.

Mekillot are massive creatures with mound-like bodies. They grow upwards of 30 feet long and weigh up to 15 tons. In the wild, Mekillot "claim" an oasis and drive off anything and everything that wants to compete with them for food. Until the return of magic, they were mostly seen as a blight and were hunted almost to extinction. However, recently attempts have been made to give the hulking lizards some semblance of domestication through the use of enchantment magic and psionics. They can never really be fully tamed though. A spooked Mekllot can fly into a frenzy and singlehandedly level an entire caravan, or it might just walk off and leave its handlers behind.
    They are used to pull Sandbarges. While Inix have a reputation for being dangerous, Mekillot are considered far, far worse. It's considered common sense not to go on a caravan trip involving a Mekillot until you've seen for yourself that its handlers are capable of subduing the beast through manifesting or magic.
    Spoiler: Inix and Mekillot picture
    Show

Ignore the Kank on the left. They exist, but not on this planet.

Spoiler: Jerrahar's known neighbours
    Show

Manara - Regular magic, Freezing cold, 1k-5k population
    Jerrahar's moon, covered in bio-luminescent plants. This is mostly used as an outpost.

Ignis, the eternal fire - Regular magic, Scorching, Population numbers unknown
    Jerrahar's Sun, which is in fact almost entirely made up of elemental fire.

Qashr Albid - Low magic, Warm, 100k-500k population
    A jungle world, home to the Aarakocra. The jungle is also home to lots of rifts to the elemental plane of air. Old temples, winged snakes, that sort of thing. Aaracokra are not native to Jerrahar, but a few eggs have been.. misplaced. There's a handful of them on Jerrahar now.

Laghaz - Low magic? Temperate? Population numbers unknown but expected between 1k and 5k from Jerrahar.
    Laghaz is a favourite subject of conspiracy theorists. Its existence has been confirmed by all official channels, but nobody really knows where it is or what happens there.

There are a few more worlds that can be visited but those would require rolls, especially until you join the academy.

Spoiler: The Fey courts and il'Maddad, by Ravanan
    Show

Quote Originally Posted by Ravanan View Post
    A few writeups in the form of excerpts from history books, meant to generally be flavorful but unobtrusive (thought there are possible plot hooks for later in that second one). The third is basic background for my character's birthplace.

Spoiler: The Dissolution of the Fey Courts
    Show
    Have you ever heard Yggdrasil's song? It is not a song as a mortal would understand it. But the mighty wood that has stood since time immemorial softly creaks...the leaves and innumerable realms gently brush against one another...it is always there, imperceptible to mortals like yourself. The fey hear it. It calls to them from their very soul.

Every fey is born with a shard of Yggdrasil tied to their very essence. Those shards hum in time with the Tree itself. It has ever granted the fey their life and their magic.
    With Yggdrasil being damaged, so too did those shards quiet. The fey lost their magic, and without that magic to sustain them, the fey realms shrank. What the fey themselves refer to as "Blotches" appeared, marring the very reality of those places, slowly growing and dissolving all they enveloped.
    Those that escaped the Blotches found themselves displaced into the mortal realms with no way to get back within their courtly homes. The fey were forced to learn how to actually survive in the world, as the people and monsters without were often less than friendly, and they no longer had their wards and extradimensional homes to protect them. With Yggdrasil's song, the fey spirit is not easily quenched though, and throughout these trying millenia, they still remained positive. Few among them could comprehend it, they could feel the song getting stronger, and knew Yggdrasil was slowly healing.
    With magic's return to the world, the Blotches began to fade and the fey realms have gradually returned. Portals that had closed have sprung to life, defenses once silent now buzz with energy. And they fey have begun an exodus back into their homes. Many of these realms now sing with revelries, and have been going non-stop for 200 years now. Magic has returned, and the fey are more eager than ever to live life.
    -Excerpts from The Dissolution of the Fey Courts, Eldyda, Nymph historian

Spoiler: The Lost Fey
    Show
    While the histories suggest that the so-called "Blotches" dissolved everything in their way, in truth, it is more complex than that. What actually happened was that while the reality of those places generally indeed crumbled away, most were simply cast into the Black. The Black muffles that "song" the fey bang on about, and because of the Sigil-Mechanus war, the tree was severely damaged and wasn't singing as "loudly." Their modern contemporaries suggest that with the tree's weakened state, the ones down there would probably have felt cut off from it. Whatever the reason, the Black truly did affect the fey there, and far more severely than any modern fey experiences there.

One of two things happened to them. Most of 'em died. They became despondent, and many committed suicide. Others just withered away, crumbling to dust without anything to sustain them.

Some few were--perhaps--lucky. They adapted, infusing the Black within themselves and altering the very nature of the Yggdrasil shards inside of them. While these fey are rarely seen even now, rumors did make their way to the mortal realms of their "Unseelie courts," holding grand festivals and competitions called "Wyld Hunts" to slay those foolish enough to venture too deeply into the Black. This author personally doubts that such festivals exist. Having encountered the creatures on considerably more peaceful terms, I cannot imagine any person to have survived being a mark in such events for long enough to escape and tell the tale.
    -Excerpt from the journal of Dorian Ashe, Umbral Mage

Spoiler: il'Maddad, City of Fey
    Show
    il'Maddad. One of the few courts to survive the Blotches relatively intact. As rumors came streaming in the the fey courts were dissolving one by one, the weight of evidence finally leading even the fey to acknowledge that it was really happening and not just a bad joke, their queen, Iliviara took drastic measures. She and her three eldest daughters used what magic they could muster, sacrificing their own lives to bind what elusive energy they could, to reinforce the reality of their realm. It worked, after a fashion. While most of the realms shrunk to less than 2% of their original size, many fading from existence altogether, il'Maddad actually kept almost a full 40% of its original size.
    Those that the queen left behind were inspired by her example. As the realm shrank, far more slowly than with most, they quickly built infrastructure outside of their portal. They were able to enlist the aid of old friends who had expertise in construction and the like to rapidly build a small city.
    The noble houses were still permitted to live within the court, but the common fey now had to live in homes of stone. With a city built, defended with strong walls and with ample food and water in their borders, the fey were far more able to continue the frivolous lifestyle they had within the court than most of their contemporaries.
    Such festivities only strengthened as il'Maddad was also one of the first courts to begin growing back to their original size, and so many while it was a popular destination for fey to begin with, it was inundated with those hopeful to leave ordinary mortal concerns behind.
    -Excerpts from The History of il'Maddad, the City of Fey, Eldyda, Sultana of il'Maddad

Spoiler: Lizardmen creation myth and racial info (from recruitment thread)
    Show

Before there was the world, there were Ixmiquicatl of the Blinding Sun, Chipahuatl of the Clear Waters and Kanahuamara of Life's Breath.
    In her heavens, Kanahuamara shaped the first spawning pool, and bestowed life's breath on the first Lizardmen.
    But as the Lizardmen grew in number, Kanahuamara realized that they needed a home.
    So she pleaded with Ixmiquicatl of the Blinding Sun, who agreed to shape Jerrahar out of the solar winds.
    But as the World took form, Kanahuamara saw that nothing could live there. So Kanahuamara pleaded with Chipahuatl of the Clear Waters.
    Chipahuatl agreed to create the World's many oases and to give it rain.
    With the rain came the jungle, which Kanahuamara filled with the scaled, from the snakes that did not have any legs, to mighty thunderlizards that made the very ground tremble with every step.
    With her work done, Kanahuamara joined the lizardmen as a mortal to rule over them as their first queen. And with her passing the lizardmen inherited the world.
    An aspect of her being, called Ka, is still part of Lizardmen worship and has a priesthood. This priesthood has seen many omens of Ka's decline in power over the past 200 years, though they do not know what the cause is.

The second thing is that after the jungles shriveled up, a few lizardmen have migrated to the human cities. There, they have essentially intergrated. They are nothing like the disciplined warriors from your ziggurats anymore. They are fat, greedy, and often as decadent as their wallet permits. The richest of them can hardly walk without being carried. So that's a racial stereotype that will likely be applied to you as well on Jerrahar.

Spoiler: Deities
    Show

Disclaimer: Some gods may not have all domains listed. But these are all the domains that the public would know about.

Lizarfolk Deities

Ka (Kanahuamara of Life's Breath)
    Aspect of Lizardfolk progenitor god, Life, Fertility
    Community, Life, Scalykind

Chipahuatl of the Clear Waters
    Balance, Healing, Oracle, Scalykind, Protection, Water

Ixmiquicatl the Blinding Sun Serpent
    Destruction, Fire, Scalykind, Sun, Purification, Sky, Storm

Asherati Nomad deities

Ayather
    God of the prosperous hunt. Has an aspect more geared towards war.
    Courage, Luck, Storm, Sun, Travel

Faosri
    Godess of the tribe. Caring, kind, tribe oriented.
    Charm, Community, Good, Renewal.

Civilized Deities

al'Alwan
    The First of Gods, Protector of the Royal Dragon Bloodline

Dogma in a nutshell:
    As followers of the Elder God, it is up to the clergy of al'Alwan to guide the people. al'Alwan stands for ruling with vision, for seeing every angle, and for ruling with expertise. It sees the masses as something to be guided and protected.

Domination, Dragon, Law, Inquisition, Nobility, Planning, Pride

Alkifah
    Mind over body

Dogma in a nutshell:
    Alkifah preaches that innate in all living things is a will to survive. Followers of Alkifah nourish this desire and use it to hone their minds, and through this their bodies. They are possessed of incredible willpower, and some of her followers are said to be able to do things like control their metabolism to go for days without water, or to be able to shut out all fear.

Domains:
    Competition, Meditation, Mentalism, Mind, Strength, Protection
    For the Manaran aspect, also: Moon, Cold

Bacchus
    Celebrations, Ecstasy

Bacchus in a nutshell:
    Bacchus' following is considered a cult by most. Even so, it's growing. And fast. They are rumored to use psychedelic drugs and they pretty much just party all day. The government is not amused, but the cult has attracted the children of some very influential people as their followers, and the actual clerics of Bacchus are very hard to find.

Domains:
    Chaos, Charm, Domination, Feast, Gluttony, Liberation, Lust, Passion, Sloth

Bwyr
    Farmers, Ranchers, Farming Communities

Dogma:
    Bwyr teaches that in order to be happy, you have to help those around you. Life as a farmer in the desert can be rough, but by being close with your community and by working hard, you can grow food not just for yourself, but you can feed entire cities. And living in the service of others like that, knowing you've worked hard for a day and feeling content with what you've done – that is happiness that was earned.

Domains
    Animal, Community, Earth, Family, Plant, Water, Weather

Dawra
    The Eternal Tempest
    War, Bloodshed, Destructive cycles, Renewal

Dogma in a nutshel:
    Followers of Dawra are not quick to rush into battle. They do not fight without a cause. But once they have found a cause worth championing, they feel that the only way to achieve true change is to utterly uproot and displace the opposition. They view life as cyclical in that way, and they embrace that idea. They are agents of change. In the aftermath of their rage, in the eye of the storm, they can offer a breeze of guidance. But, like the winds, they inevitably have to move on.

Domains:
    Chaos, Destruction, Retribution, Renewal, Storm, War, Wrath

Hidad
    The divine smith

Dogma:
    The patron god of craftsmen and engineers, Hidad teaches patience and temperance, mixed with a certain degree of stubbornness once one has made up their mind. He favors those that work hard and hone their skill, and demands a certain degree of autonomy from his followers. Like a blacksmith hammering on metal, so too must a follower of Hidad persevere in hammering the world around him into the right shape, even in the face of setbacks.

Domains:
    Artifice, Craft, Creation, Earth, Metal, Rune

Quarsan
    The Rogue
    Explorers, messengers, sailors, thieves

Dogma in a nutshell:
    Quarsan is perhaps the most anthropomorphized of the gods. His followers believe that living with a roguish glint in your eye will bring you good luck, while just going through your daily motions saps your god-spark. They aren't necessarily opposed to planning, but they believe there is an intuitive state that goes beyond thinking, where everything just flows.

Domains
    Celerity, Courage, Luck, Sky, Travel, Trickery

Yashae
    The Golden Godess
    Commerce, Trade, Law

Dogma in a nutshell:
    The clergy of Yashae is all about trading. Material gains are their ultimate goal, and they go to any length to create as many opportunities for trading and wealth generation as possible. They aren't necessarily greedy though. They are just really good at what they do. And what they do is making money – for themselves as well. Their services are very welcome to anyone and everyone that doesn't want to carry huge stacks of gold around.

Domains:
    Commerce, Greed, Envy, Pact, Law, Trade, Wealth

The four Norns – Weavers of the Tapistry of Time and Tenders of Yggdrasil
    The four godesses below are said to weave time into the strands of Yggdrasil.

Kismet
    The lady of the wheel, First Sister of the Norns

Dogma:
    The matron goddess of the young hero full of potential, of those destined for greatness. Her clerics try to give those with great potential a gentle nudge, so that their part in the tapestry can be played out as best as possible. Many a great figure in history has had a cleric of kismet behind them, and it's not unusual to ask for Kismet's blessing before going on an adventure.

Domains
    Balance, Courage, Creation, Destiny, Fate, Glory

Ophine
    The all-knowing, Second Sister of the Norns
    Sages, Academia, Magic, Military science

Ophine in a nutshell:
    Ophine is the twin sister of Iher. She is the matron goddess of Sages and Arcanists and (military) Strategists. Her clergy advocates that an ounce of thought does more than a ton of strength.

Domains
    Knowledge, Magic, Planning, Rune, Spell, War

Iher
    The veiled, the all-seeing, Third Sister of the Norns
    Prophecy, Poetry, Arts, Healing

Iher in a nutshell:
    Iher is the twin sister of Ophine. Clerics of Iher serve as oracles and healers. They are as popular as you would expect them to be, and Iher is almost as popular as al'Alwan in terms of worship. Iher is also the matron goddess of Arts and Poetry, and serves as a muse to many.

Domains:
    Dream, Healing, Good, Illusion, Meditation, Mysticism, Oracle, Purification

Darai
    The lost, the dissident, the entropy, the end, Fourth Sister of the Norns

Dogma:
    Darai doesn't really have any (sane) followers. It's said that the damage to Yggdrasil was too extensive for her to cope with, and that all clerics who touch her mind lose their own. She is thought to originally have been the goddess of time, but is also associated with the cracks in the fabric of reality now – undead, the black, things like that.

Domains:
    Darkness, Decay, Death, Madness, Time, Undeath
    Last edited by Breakfast; 2016-02-08 at 04:41 AM.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Dwarf in the Playground

Kobold

Spoiler: The City of Al'marj
    Show

1. Imperial Palace and Palace Gardens
    Constructed during the founding years of Al'Marj, the Imperial Palace is breathtakingly beautiful. High slender towers with balconies overlooking the lush palace gardens and the city below. Of course, the only to actually be admitted onto palace grounds is to be invited. Or to be really sneaky. They do grow the best figs in town. If it's worth losing a hand over though.

2. Noble estates
    The nobles of Al'Marj are fairly reclusive. Most of them are half-dragons, and thus can fly. They rarely ever go anywhere on foot or without escort, and pay their guards handsomely to keep uninvited guests out

3. Senate
    Al'Marj has a senate where the Nobles, the Churches and the People have a vote. The People's vote is sort of a formality, and meetings where the People get to vote are mostly administrative in nature. But Nobles and Churches do have power, and meet in the Senate daily.

4. Stairs of 999 steps
    Both stairs are famous throughout Jerrahar. It's a tough climb for some, but the view is amazing. Especially when you get to the top and you can see the Palace and the Senate. There's a publicly accessible part of the palace/senate gardens that connects the tops of the two stairs, and has an amazing view overlooking the city, as well as several very impressive statues of famous half-dragons and humans.

5. North Gate

6. First East Gate
    The largest of the city's four gates. This is the only gate with a harbor behind it, so every sandskiff or sandbharge has to come in through here.

7. Second East Gate

8. South Gate

9. City Wall
    These have been created with Wall of Stone, and legend has it that they go all the way down to the bedrock. They are also famous for their painting (which was recently redone on the outside using paint containing metals and walls of fire) and reliefs depicting various desert creatures and myths.

10. Mount Sahkra
    The mountain Al'Marj is built into. Sahkra is legendary for how difficult it is to scale.

11. Temple Square

12. The Triple Diamond - Temple Square Hotel (Diplomats, 10gp/night)

13. Pilgrim's Rest - Temple Square Inn (1 sp/night)

14. Industrial district

15. Barracks / Local law enforcement

16. Sandship harbor

17. Murat's Inn (Harbor, Rowdy, 1 sp/night)

18. Marketplace

19. The Scarlet Pipe Inn (Fancy 1 gp/night)

20. The Angry 'killot Inn (Rowdy 1 sp/night)

21. Marketplace Stables

22. Northern Stables

23. Green Return Inn (Farmers, 1 sp/night)

24. Northern Market

25. Southern Stables

26. The Thirsty Camel Inn (Farmers, 1 sp/night)

27. Southern Market

28. Commoners Areas (rooftop Gardens)

29. Villas

30. Storehouse Area

31. University for Planar Studies and Arcana

32. Library

33. Botanical garden

34. Stock lake

35. Farm lands

36. Slums

37. Shady bar, invite only

38. Mekillot Stables
    Last edited by Breakfast; 2016-02-03 at 02:56 PM.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Ogre in the Playground

ClericGuy

Hello! Happy to be here! Nyxius will speak in Dark Gray.
    Spoiler: My Homebrew
    Show

78% of DM's started their first campaign in a tavern. If you're one of the 22% that didn't, copy and paste this into your signature.

Town Square execution.

Fistful of Fate character: Aereck Tarrinsen

5. - Top - End - #5
    Firbolg in the Playground

First in under Breakfast~ Ah, shucks.
    Hello, everyone! I'm super excited for this game. Fahim will speak in dark orange. Here's his sheet: http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheet.html#id=674007

I'll work on parsing the table in the recruitment for us.
    Last edited by Thokk_Smash; 2016-02-02 at 12:28 PM.
    Saber avatar courtesy of Prime32

6. - Top - End - #6
    Barbarian in the Playground

'Ello all!

I believe that Aliyah shall take Green as her color.

So, a lizardfolk, a pixie, a gnome, and a genasi all walk into a bar...
    Last edited by Ravanan; 2016-02-02 at 12:31 PM.
    Avatar by Prime32. Seriously, his stuff is awesome.

Current Games:
    Mikhaela Ranool, Pokeball Crafter Land of the Dreamers OOC
    Aliyah al'Shajarat-al-Hayat, Pixie Archivist/Wizard Breath of Yggdrasil OOC
    Ceres Dionaea, Ghoran Impossible-blooded Sorcerer Torrathan Civility OOC
    The DM Wrath of the Righteous OOC

7. - Top - End - #7
    Ogre in the Playground

ClericGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Thokk_Smash View Post
    First in under Breakfast~ Ah, shucks.
    Don't worry, it's not too bad. It means that you're lunch while I'm the morning coffee you spill in your lap on the way to work.

Also, posting your sheet is a good idea, so I'll do that. Nyxius Falath
    Show

78% of DM's started their first campaign in a tavern. If you're one of the 22% that didn't, copy and paste this into your signature.

Town Square execution.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Ogre in the Playground

Qarmoxt Xiuhcatl
    Spoiler: Image
    Show

Spoiler: Background
    Show
    [I]“This story is true.

There were jungles once. Lush, rich and vibrant, stretching as far as any scaled one could see, climb, run or swim. Within these teeming dens of life, we raised cities: great edifices of stone, yellow metals and blue gems were reared above even the mightiest of the jungle's trees, so that we might better honour Ixmiquicatl of the Blinding Sun, and Chipahuatl of the Clear Waters.

In those days, we were mighty. The ground shook under the tread of tamed thunder-lizards, maw-tyrants and disciplined regiments of scaled one warriors alike. In those days, Chipahuatl and Ixmiquicatl were in accord. It was before the outsiders came to Jerrahar with their airships and their war. It was before the dragons fell from the sky. It was before the Blinding Sun Serpent drank all the Clear Waters dry, and before Chipahuatl ran out of tears to replace them.

It was before the magic died.

It was before our cities began to crumble, and the scaled ones began to forget themselves. It was before our people fell from glory into near-barbarism. But we have remembered, all through these long years, we sages and soldiers of the Sundered City. We remember the days of triumph, when Ixmiquicatl shone down on gilded spears and Chipahuatl ran around plated legs. We remember the glorious mechanisms of the Sundered City, though we have lost the knowledge and the magic to make them work.

But the stars align, and the Blinding Sun Serpent slowly slithers away from pre-eminence. They say dragons breathe the air of Jerrahar once again, and that Chipahuatl may soon have tears to spare for her children.

They say the magic lives again.

The children of the scaled ones, the people of the Sundered City – we will not be denied what is ours.”

Before there was the world, there were Ixmiquicatl of the Blinding Sun, Chipahuatl of the Clear Waters and Kanahuamara of Life's Breath. In her heavens, Kanahuamara shaped the first spawning pool, and bestowed life's breath on the first lizardfolk. But as the lizardfolk grew in number, Kanahuamara realized that they needed a home. So she pleaded with Ixmiquicatl of the Blinding Sun, who agreed to shape Jerrahar out of the solar winds. But as the World took form, Kanahuamara saw that nothing could live there. So Kanahuamara pleaded with Chipahuatl of the Clear Waters. Chipahuatl agreed to create the World's many oases and to give it rain. With the rain came the jungle, which Kanahuamara filled with the scaled, from the snakes that did not have any legs, to mighty thunder-lizards that made the very ground tremble with every step.

With her work done, Kanahuamara joined the lizardfolk as a mortal to rule over them as their first queen. And with her passing the lizardfolk inherited the world.
    An aspect of her being, called Ka, is still part of lizardfolk worship and has a priesthood. This priesthood has seen many omens of Ka's decline in power over the past 200 years, though they do not know what the cause is.

Twenty-nine turns of Ixmiquicatl ago, a scaled one of the warrior-breed arose from the spawning pools of the Sundered City. His scales were the azure that marked him as sacred to Chipahuatl, but his eyes were orbs of solid gold, a sign of the favour of the Blinding Sun Serpent. The sage-priests of the city proclaimed him chosen of both gods, and a future champion of the people of the Sundered City. The scar-veterans said that was yet to be seen.

For his own part Qarmoxt, the new warrior, was not content to rest on the laurels handed to him by the sage-priests before he could talk. The fact that the elder warriors and scar-veterans dismissed him almost out of hand due to the fawning praise of the sage-priests only made him more determined to prove his worth.

And prove it he did.

He quickly mastered the macuahuitl and bladed shield style the warrior-breed of the scaled ones favoured, and proved himself an apt leader in the Sundered City's war-games, quickly rising to leadership of the regiment he was assigned to, and then quickly raising that regiment up through the rankings. No longer did the scar-veterans look down on him with derision. Now he was Qarmoxt Xiuhcatl: the fire-serpent, the weapon of destruction. The people of the Sundered City began to talk – it was said nothing could withstand the charge of Qarmoxt and his regiment, and that no soldier of his regiment would fall in battle unless he desired it, for he had the blessings of Ixmiquicatl and Chipahuatl both, and their divine power would keep a warrior fighting through the most grievous of wounds – if Qarmoxt was present.

Then the world changed again.

Hushed whispers ran through the Sundered City – that magic had returned to the world, that dragons had been seen once again, that the time of the scaled ones was returning. Qarmoxt paid these rumours no heed – at least not until the sage-priests called for him, and explained that he had been selected to serve as an envoy to the city of Al Marj and take advantage of their recently-established diplomatic relations in an effort to learn about the returning magic and report it back to the sage-priests that they might reactivate the city's arcane machines. All for the good of the people of the City, of course.

Thus, Qarmoxt set out across the deserts of Jerrahar with the next caravan. Upon arriving in Al Marj, he identified the AeroTech Academy as a hub of knowledge about the returning magic, and enrolled himself as soon as he was able. A formalised educational establishment was not so different from the organised war-games of the Sundered City, and Qarmoxt applied himself with a will. Making the first cut was simple enough for one marked by the Blinding Sun Serpent and the Clear Waters both. Now, he need only prove himself on the assignment on an airship proper.

It can hardly be more difficult than impressing the dispassionate scar-veterans of the City, can it?

Porting over Qarmoxt's info, and I think he'll speak in this snazzy blue, #3399cc.

9. - Top - End - #9

Quote Originally Posted by Breitheamh View Post
    Don't worry, it's not too bad. It means that you're lunch while I'm the morning coffee you spill in your lap on the way to work.

Also, posting your sheet is a good idea, so I'll do that. Nyxius Falath
    Alternately, you're that morning cuppa Joe that wakes you up while I'm the sandwich you shovel down 'cause you're swamped at work

Also, here's a table just for us:

Player Character Name Race Classes
    Edge Qarmoxt Xiuhcatl Lizardfolk Crusader 5 // Barbarian 3 / Fighter 2
    Thokk_Smash Fahim Ibn La-Ahad Fire Genasi Factotum 5 // Warblade 5
    Breitheamh Nyxius Falath Dark Whisper Gnome Shadowcaster5//Stalker5
    Ravanan Aliyah al'Shajarat-al-Hayat Pixie Archivist 5 // Factotum 1 / Wizard 4

10. - Top - End - #10
    Dwarf in the Playground

Kobold

Hey all, welcome!

And thanks Thokk, but I guess great minds think alike.
    I'll have to look into how to make it look better though.

11. - Top - End - #11

D'oh, ninja'd!

Also, to everyone, I've set up a little chatpad we can use to just shoot the breeze and ask minor questions we don't wanna make a post for. Also, I've found if the forums ever go down, it's nice to have a place to talk to people. So here it is: https://edupad.ch/PSvjITAG6T

12. - Top - End - #12
    Dwarf in the Playground

Kobold

The IC is up. Link.

Edit:

A little info about Jashae and Jashae slips.

Jashae is the god of commerce. A Jashae slip is usually used for large transactions or as a way of storing large amounts of money. The value a Jashae slip represents can only be reclaimed by the rightful owner. Because of this, stealing a Jashae slip is of no real interest to a common thieves. They take all the heat for the crime if they get caught, but they can't actually get to the loot.
    Last edited by Breakfast; 2016-02-03 at 08:02 PM.

13. - Top - End - #13

Divinely backed writs of credit. Nice.

I likely will not be posting for another 12 hours. My optimum time for game posts is in the morning (GMT-8), as I work in the evening. I'm can only post around now when I'm on break or lunch.

Current Games:

14. - Top - End - #14
    Ogre in the Playground

ClericGuy

I'll go a head and roll these here:
    Sense Motive (1d20+7)[20]
    For cleric (1d3)[1]
    Show

Town Square execution.

15. - Top - End - #15

Sense motive: (1d20+1)[2]
    staffer: (1d3)[1]
    Appraise: (1d20+5)[10]
    Forgery: (1d20+6)[12]

Not rolling too well. Yeesh.
    Last edited by Ravanan; 2016-02-03 at 09:35 PM.

Current Games:

16. - Top - End - #16
    Ogre in the Playground

ClericGuy

Oh, yeah, Appraise (1d20+4)[9]
    Forgery (1d20+4)[17]
    Both of those are untrained.
    Show

Town Square execution.

17. - Top - End - #17

And so it begins! Time for some rolls. Asterisks designate uses of Inspiration, which refreshes every five minutes outside of combat.

Sense Motive: (1d20+12)[27] (Since I auto-pass, I'm making this on the off-chance you wanna give Fahim more insight into Nasir's mood)
    Appraise*: (1d20+9)[27]
    Forgery*: (1d20+13)[29]
    For cleric: (1d3)[1]

So far we've all gotten the racially-insensitive-toward-Qarmoxt cleric. I was hoping for the tiefling...
    Last edited by Thokk_Smash; 2016-02-03 at 10:44 PM.

18. - Top - End - #18

Also, when Kenny dies, I totally call dibs on saying the line.

Current Games:

19. - Top - End - #19

Darnit, Ravanan...

Breakfast, is the Appraise check how you're handling haggling mechanically? I was going to have Fahim go through the whole "Oh, please, it's not worth nearly that much--I'll give you 2 gold, and five silver since it goes so well with my hair" lowballing schtick. Which I can still do, of course, but I'd just like to know if that RP aspect would have any mechanical effect.

Also, Know (Arcana) on the moving scarf: (1d20+12)[13] Oof
    Last edited by Thokk_Smash; 2016-02-04 at 09:48 AM.

20. - Top - End - #20

Silly me, forgot the Appraise roll: (1d20+4)[22]

21. - Top - End - #21
    Dwarf in the Playground

Kobold

I'm not really sure how I want to do haggling yet to be perfectly honest. In a real life game I'd do it as a back and forth, but I don't see that working in a pbp game. The appraise check is a bit of cop out, I admit. Though obviously it helps to know the value of the item you're haggling for.
    FWIW, that feather is worth a few silvers at the most, if even that.

The scarf is definitely magical, not a party trick to lure customers into buying "magical items." It appears to have a mind of its own, and appears unhappy with the stacks of books on it. It reminds you a bit of a flying carpet - except that it's a scarf.

22. - Top - End - #22

Bighuge starting post: Done.

Current Games:

23. - Top - End - #23
    Dwarf in the Playground

Kobold

Breitheamh, Crodlu would usually be reared and broken in outside the city, on the farms to the south. More space there. So Massud would be going to a ranch of sorts then, if he were to apprentice as an animal trainer. Are you okay with that?

24. - Top - End - #24
    Ogre in the Playground

ClericGuy

Fine with me.
    Show

Town Square execution.

25. - Top - End - #25

Sense Motive w/Inspiration point on the vendor: (1d20+17)[23]

26. - Top - End - #26
    Ogre in the Playground

Sorry for lack of posts on my part. Looks like I forgot to subscribe to the OOC and missed the IC going up. I'll get caught up and put a post together today.

27. - Top - End - #27
    Ogre in the Playground

And time for some rolls, I guess. Sorry for the double post.

Sense Motive: (1d20+1)[11]
    Cleric: (1d3)[3]
    Forgery: (1d20)[3]
    Appraise: (1d20)[2]

28. - Top - End - #28
    Ogre in the Playground

ClericGuy

No worries. Accidents happen.
    Show

Town Square execution.

29. - Top - End - #29
    Ogre in the Playground

ClericGuy

Thokk, you're right about the literal translation of that word, but if I remember correctly from my one semester of Arabic, you wouldn't say it directly to your friend. You would call them saadeeq, but no "ee" at the end. That's for referring to someone else who is your friend.

I think.

I could be wrong.

It was only one semester, like 2 years ago...
    Show

Town Square execution.

30. - Top - End - #30

Quote Originally Posted by Breitheamh View Post
    Thokk, you're right about the literal translation of that word, but if I remember correctly from my one semester of Arabic, you wouldn't say it directly to your friend. You would call them saadeeq, but no "ee" at the end. That's for referring to someone else who is your friend.

I think.

I could be wrong.

It was only one semester, like 2 years ago...
    I mean, that's one more semester of Arabic than I have under my belt! Sounds good to me, thank you