Support the GITP forums on Patreon
Help support GITP's forums (and ongoing server maintenance) via Patreon
Page 1 of 17 1234567891011 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Dwarf in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Default Galactic Mercenaries, Chapter 1: A New Beginning (OOC)

Opening Text Crawl

Welcome! Check in, choose a speech color, and make any changes you need to. I'll be going over the characters again one last time to make sure nothing is wonky, and the IC thread will go up within the next couple of days.

Spoiler: Party
    Show
    Character Player Speech Color
    Arik Faynor Thundercracker Black
    Eve whoiam Dark Green
    Ruusaan Ordo MichaelGoldclaw Bold Black
    UB3 DataDancer Blue
    Wally Odentin Fire Brick
    Shanna Lentrax Pink
    Last edited by Darth_Maximus; 2016-02-28 at 11:37 AM.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Orc in the Playground

Thumbs up Re: Galactic Mercenaries, Chapter 1: A New Beginning

This shade of blue #0000FF

Should we go ahead and confirm ship seating? I think Eve and I will be on Arik's ship? Also when should the chosen color be used?

3. - Top - End - #3
    Dwarf in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Default Re: Galactic Mercenaries, Chapter 1: A New Beginning

Use it when your character speaks.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Ogre in the Playground

Huzzah! I'll take....Fire Brick for my color.
    -Odentin

Quote Originally Posted by Skype
    Odentin: Wait. Weren't we going to stop off in the capital and murder the emperor?
    Bladecutter: We might as well, it's on the way.
    GM: "We might was well" has never been used in that way!
    Bladecutter: Well, we really don't like him...

5. - Top - End - #5
    Orc in the Playground

Question Re: Galactic Mercenaries, Chapter 1: A New Beginning

Should we fine tune aspects of backstory and background amongst ourselves before beginning? And Thundercracker, is there anything you wanted to refine or add regarding you vessel?

If I recall correctly its:
    150k single character per ship OR
    225 two characters same ship OR
    300k three characters same ship.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Ogre in the Playground

Probably a good idea. whoiam and I discussed a bit last night, and since we both got in, it might be good to fine tune a bit.

I'm fine having at least a passing friendship or rivalry or acquaintance with anyone else in the party, as well. Wally'so been a mercenary pilot for several years, now.

I also need to fine tune my gear a bit more, too.
    -Odentin

Odentin: Wait. Weren't we going to stop off in the capital and murder the emperor?

7. - Top - End - #7
    Ogre in the Playground

Claiming Bold, since it's black, which is her armor color.

Ruusaan Ordo
    "I am Mando'ade, demagolka. I don't need your unjust and dishonorable Empire, no, the galaxy doesn't need it."
    Human Soldier 4
    HP 46/46, Condition Normal
    Damage Threshold 19
    Defenses: Fort 19, Ref 23, Will 13

Spoiler: Background
    Show
    Ruusaan hardly remembers the time before the Empire. She remembers the fall of the Mandalorian Protectors. Their destruction was a sad day for her. She and her childhood friend, Duxlan Telarn, had lost their parents and it was only the beginning of their troubles. When the Empire came into power, it was good at first; the Empire was overlooking the Protector's service to the CIS and Ruusaan and Duxlan were adopted. When Fenn Shysa began to recruit members for a resistance just in case the Empire decides to tighten its grip, both of them joined up. When the Empire began to enslave the Mandalorians, Ruusaan and Duxlan were separated. Both of them had planned to escape the planet and find help, one going to the Rebellion and another to earn money for mercs. Duxlan managed to escape via a smuggler and then join the rebellion, but Ruusaan never made it to him. Instead, she was enslaved.

Ruusaan worked tirelessly in the mines, growing a hatred for the Empire. There were times overseers noticed her performing well, but that was when she was pretending to "mine" the Emperor or some other important Imperial. It was a happy day for her when a raid came and set her free. After being freed, Ruusaan set out into Galaxy. She got into contact with Duxlan, who was now an officer in starfighter corps. After catching up, Ruusaan began to do merenary and bounty hunting work, staying away from pro-empire or morally questionable jobs.
    Last edited by MichaelGoldclaw; 2016-02-02 at 03:21 PM.
    "Do all the good you can, in all the ways you can, to all the souls you can, in all the places you can, at all the times you can, with all the zeal you can, as so long as you ever can" -John Wesley
    Deviant Art account
    Fairy Tail OC avatar by: your truly

8. - Top - End - #8
    Ettin in the Playground

Planetar

I'll pull out my backup, backup colour (after Medium Blue and Saddle Brown) and go for Dark Green as Eve's speaking colour.

So, Wally and Eve have a history (one that probably allows Wally to remember the time Eve locked herself in a storage cupboard as a 'child'... It's always good to have embarrassing childhood memories to tease someone about...).

I don't have anything for Zev or Ruusaan. I'll try making something up if you like, but since you're different crews I have no problem with this being their first meeting with Eve.

As for Arik and UB3... How long does everyone want to have been together as a crew? Just gotten together, or old hands, or what? At this point, Eve's been available for 5-6 years, so it's up to you two how much of that time she's spent with you...

9. - Top - End - #9
    Orc in the Playground

Post Re: Galactic Mercenaries, Chapter 1: A New Beginning

@whoiam:

I am fairly open in this regard as to what is most conducive to what Darth Maximus may have in mind as well as what works best regarding everyone else. Would be nice to hear what Thundercrack thinks, until then for my shipmates what would be known from our time together. Regarding UB3:

*He appears to be an Ubese.
    *He never removes his environmental suit.
    *Only eats in private. (quarters or engine room or gunnery station.) But may sit observing others during communal meal times.
    *Speaks in Binary (which everyone on board knows)

Eve would know that he is of course not a droid, given her technical knowledge and having such an intimate understanding of the internal and external as well as capabilities of droids.

Addimationally it is possible that one might recognize the suit UB3 where's as one very similar to, or perhaps indentical to that of one Yelzyn the "Saber Scalper" an Ubese bounty hunter who was most active during the Jedi Purge, and had a special zeal and knack for bring in Jedi, dead or alive.

This would depend mostly on how familiar one was with scum like Yezlyn and Ubese, in particular, well enough to disguish one environmental suit from another, or identify individual clan markings or various unique modifications.

As to the length of time we spent together as crew that would good to iron out now, if it's been even only a few jobs might be nice to throw together some quick unifying backstory.
    Last edited by DataDancer; 2016-02-02 at 04:08 PM.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by whoiam View Post
    So, Wally and Eve have a history (one that probably allows Wally to remember the time Eve locked herself in a storage cupboard as a 'child'... It's always good to have embarrassing childhood memories to tease someone about...).
    Ah, embarrassing childhood memories. Eve would easily be able to fire back, too. Wally, comparatively, is the dumb one of the "family." Entirely likely for him to have fallen for any and all pranks or jokes Eve decided to play on him (like a good big sister).
    -Odentin

11. - Top - End - #11
    Titan in the Playground

Hey guys, I'm going to speak in normal black because I so often post from my phone.

http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheet.html#id=233903

Arik Faynor
    Short and slight of stature, he makes up for it with bravado and confidence, even if it is sometimes faked. He has a mop of black hair which he constantly needs to brush to one side, and constantly has a bit of scruff as if he hasn't shaved in a day. Unlike most humans, his irises are not perfectly round, but elongated so they are thinner at the top and bottom, much like a cat's would be. He typically wears a dark vest over a light shirt, with tan leggings and leather boots, with a sidearm at his hip.

DataDancer and whoiam are with me, right? We can have worked together for some time, but if we do that we should figure out ooc how our characters relate to each other and what our roles are on jobs. As an alternative, we can say we've worked one job together and can leave getting to know each other more deeply for the game itself.

As for cash to spend, you have 75k each to pump into the ship, you can spend it on whatever you like since I've already spent the lion's share. Think about what your character would like to have on the ship, that's the best way imo.
    TC for short

"I like the sense of chaos this game provides. OOC, I like that I cannot know every available avenue, but that I can pursue whatever avenue I so choose. IC, I like that what I am doing has consequences. It's very very real." --Noedig

12. - Top - End - #12
    Pixie in the Playground

DruidGuy

On mobile, so not sure what color I want, but I'm thinking orange. I likely won't have time to post when I get home tonight also, so that may have to wait until tomorrow.

I'm more partial to the idea that we all have some degree of familiarity with each other, i feel like it makes those initial interactions a little less awkward.

I was thinking maybe we could all be members of the same mercenary organization? How long we'd all been there would be case by case, but I feel like it's good to start off a campaign with at least a basic level of trust for each other.

This is also kind of the idea I've been running with so far while brainstorming for the next chapter, which I'm considering running, depending how this game goes. I think it'd be nice to have a unifying theme between the various chapters, which can remain even if the players change. If we were all part of a greater mercenary organization, that would make this easy. It also gives pcs some great opportunities for character advancement in the form of promotions, rivalries within the group, etc.

Of course, if our illustrious GM had other things in mind or if people are opposed that's fine, just wanted to put the idea out there.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Ettin in the Playground

Planetar

Well, in the sections of my backstory I had to remove when my original pilot bailed, it would have stated Eve as having worked in Avaris' organisation for some time beforehand. 2 or 3 years, probably. After all, it makes sense that the people she'd be hiring from 'beyond the grave' would be trustworthy members of her organisation, right..?

So, Thundercracker:
    Yup, Eve's with you for this game. Now, since neither you nor DataDancer actually showed a preference, here's mine:
    I'd like Eve to have been working with Avaris (probably primarily as a slicer and a medic) for most of the last few years, but not directly with Arik and/or UB3. Then, when the time came to face down the Interdictor, the smaller ships (that Avaris was covering as they escaped) would have grabbed whoever they could before trying to flee, and it just so happened that Arik happened to snag Eve (and UB3, if UB3 and Arik weren't working together beforehand). The three were still travelling together, looking for their next job, when the message from Avaris came in...

The reason why I'd like this, incidentally, is because I don't want Eve and UB3 to start play more familiar with each other than 'oh, it's that other tech that Avaris used to employ.' Mainly because I want to see UB3 finding out about Eve and Wally's true nature in play, and get to see the reaction to it

Sound good to you two?

14. - Top - End - #14
    Dwarf in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by DataDancer View Post
    If I recall correctly its:
    150k single character per ship OR
    225 two characters same ship OR
    300k three characters same ship.
    That's correct.

Quote Originally Posted by treebeard25 View Post
    Of course, if our illustrious GM had other things in mind or if people are opposed that's fine, just wanted to put the idea out there.
    Nope, I'm good.

@Everyone: It's been a hell of a long day. I'll get to the final look at your characters tomorrow, and the game thread after that.

15. - Top - End - #15
    Orc in the Playground

The following is a "prerecorded messages"Mae seem to have quite a few of us working from mobiles, my laptops are getting fixed and reformatted so I've been doing all of this on my iPad.

I'll respond more in detail after work, I like whoiam's idea and we can say that UB3 and Arik have been working together for a little bit before picking up Eve? Maybe one job? Here's my prescripted questions, more detailed replies later:

I had a few questions regarding Star Wars tech of Comlinks in general, and the Subcutaneous Cybernetic Comlink in specific. The small hand held cylindrical devices shown in many of the films, shows, games and other media are the standard form of point to point communication demonstrated in most SW related media I have seen, they seem capable of even contacting craft in planetary orbit from terrestrial ground users.

My question is how are these devices encoded, or how do the users specify what frequencies they use? I haven't seen anything in any of the books for SW:SE mentioning how to add or remove frequencies, Mechanics? Use Computers?

Most contemporary analogs work in one of several ways, the hand set or unit, or com station has device(s) that:

1) have preprogrammed frequencies (usually upwards or 16-20) and have no apparent means of scanning, changing or adding new frequencies.

2) have a jack for connecting the device to a computer where the various functions can be viewed and set, including editing or adding frequencies.

3) has a manual input method like a touchpad and small built in screen like those found on many older mobiles ("non-smart"). These usually also have a jack or port for accessing through a computer.

Aside from these methods I don't know of any other common hand radio based systems. So my question would be how do we access our comlinks, insofar as viewing or otherwise editing the frequencies? And specifically for my implant, how is that accessed?

Is there a jack of some type? Does it function based upon some form of wireless, preset frequency, unique to the individual implant, that allows an external terminal to communicate with and edit the implant, via radio, WiFi or some other wave based method? I've looked through several of the books trying to find the answer, and haven't seen anything, wondering what your thoughts on this are Darth Maximus.

Also some weapons have listed in the table under "Stun"; "YES" what does this mean? Is the weapon's stun the same damage and type as the weapon's primary setting?

And do Blasters of various types (pistol, heavy pistol, carbine, rifle, heavy ect.) as a default have a set amount of charges based on the type of weapon, it seems most Heavy Blaster Pistols have 50 before needing charging.

I think a have seen some rifles also with 50 but some rifles and pistols with more or less, if not listed in the stat block or text what is the standard amount? I listed 100 under my "434 Death Hammer" but in retrospect I think that may be incorrect, not sure where I got that number from, I went back and checked the entry for the weapon (p 61, 63 GaW) and it appears not to specify the amount of shots.

Also lastly how necessary, if at all, is it that we worked extensively with the Snow Hawks or knew their leader, personally? I imagine most of UB3's work, with the Ubese, consisted of ship bound duties with few excursions except when necessary. So it is unlikely he would have gotten much "face time".

16. - Top - End - #16
    Ogre in the Playground

I can try to answer a few of those. If Max wants to correct me, I won't complain.

1. On commlinks: The basic models are like CB radios or walkie talkies. You can change the frequency, but anyone on that channel can hear what you say. Better models include private channels, encryption, etc. They typically have some kind of input (a dial, keypad, etc) to choose your channel.

2. On stun damage: Any weapon with a stun setting does stun damage equal to their base damage. This was retconned, since the Core book had different damage values.

3. On the 434's ammo capacity: It's 50. There's an errata that adds it in.
    -Odentin

17. - Top - End - #17
    Orc in the Playground

Thanks, Odentin!

18. - Top - End - #18
    Orc in the Playground

In interest of streamlining things later I want to try to get as many rules related questions out of the way now, before play starts:

Quote Originally Posted by Galaxy at War p. 16
    Mechanical Aptitude: ...once per encounter, a Yevethan can treat any single Mechanics check as if the die roll is a natural 20.
    A few questions, firstly it does not clearly say if this can be done after a Mechanics check has already been made, or if it must be declared before hand. As some Feats, Talents and Abilities clearly state one or other in many other places in the books.

Secondly it states, "...as if the die roll is a natural 20. Does this mean affects that trigger on rolling a natural 20 occur when this ability is used? As there are many Talents, Feats, or rules that have special effects occur upon rolling a natural 20.

19. - Top - End - #19
    Orc in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Thundercracker View Post
    Hey guys, I'm going to speak in normal black because I so often post from my phone.

http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheet.html#id=233903

Arik Faynor
    Short and slight of stature, he makes up for it with bravado and confidence, even if it is sometimes faked. He has a mop of black hair which he constantly needs to brush to one side, and constantly has a bit of scruff as if he hasn't shaved in a day. Unlike most humans, his irises are not perfectly round, but elongated so they are thinner at the top and bottom, much like a cat's would be. He typically wears a dark vest over a light shirt, with tan leggings and leather boots, with a sidearm at his hip.

DataDancer and whoiam are with me, right? We can have worked together for some time, but if we do that we should figure out ooc how our characters relate to each other and what our roles are on jobs. As an alternative, we can say we've worked one job together and can leave getting to know each other more deeply for the game itself.

As for cash to spend, you have 75k each to pump into the ship, you can spend it on whatever you like since I've already spent the lion's share. Think about what your character would like to have on the ship, that's the best way imo.
    Quote Originally Posted by Arik's Ship
    YT-2400 - total spent = 149,300
    YT-2400 (used) 32,000
    Remove SR30 -2500
    add SR55 30000
    tech specialist Improved shields SR60 6000
    Smugglers compartments 1000
    advanced slave circuits 20000
    proton torpedo launcher 2500
    proton torpedoes (23) 18400
    double fire linked 2 light laser cannon (5d10) 7500
    B1 battle droid gunner 1800
    2-1B medical droid 4300
    combat thruster 10000
    Thundercrack:

Are there currently any unused Emplacement Points? Also if not, how much cargo space do you currently have available or would be willing to give up for EPs?

Also did you convert any of the crew space for EPs previously? I took the above from your sheet do you have anything more detailed showing the work so we know what's available and what's not?

20. - Top - End - #20
    Ogre in the Playground

Just to let you know, bruddah, it's typically bad form to triple post, rather than editing in a new question.

Not mad or anything, just wanted to let you know, other parts of these boards will get peeved if you do that.
    -Odentin

21. - Top - End - #21
    Dwarf in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

For the smaller commlinks, like the subcutaneous or the earbud, it would come with a small handheld controller that would allow you to change the frequency.

The six people invited were hand picked, so having some experience meeting with Avaris Ryt and making a good impression is key. Either as a tech or a gunner. That said, she did have a habit of keeping a hand in everything, meeting with everyone.

Yeah, it counts to activate anything that comes from a nat 20. And you'd declare it before the roll would be made.

Edit: Actually, the question about face time reminded me I wanted to do a personalized thing with each of you, to give you all a bit of a personal connection with her.
    Last edited by Darth_Maximus; 2016-02-03 at 01:03 PM.

22. - Top - End - #22
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Darth_Maximus View Post
    Edit: Actually, the question about face time reminded me I wanted to do a personalized thing with each of you, to give you all a bit of a personal connection with her.
    Okay, sure. I got a skype if you want to IM me or you can PM me.
    "Do all the good you can, in all the ways you can, to all the souls you can, in all the places you can, at all the times you can, with all the zeal you can, as so long as you ever can" -John Wesley
    Deviant Art account
    Fairy Tail OC avatar by: your truly

23. - Top - End - #23
    Pixie in the Playground

DruidGuy

I think I'm going to go with this color for speech. (#FF8C00)

So it sounds to me like we need a reason that our character has gained Avaris's trust to the point that she would reach out to us and entrust us with the knowledge that she is in fact alive?

On that note, I do have a few questions:

1. Are we actually a select few who Avaris contacted, Or was this more of an organization-wide alert?

2. How were we contacted? Do we have any proof, or at least extremely compelling reason to believe Avaris is alive? Would we be aware of how many other people she contacted? (do we maybe think that we are a select few she contacted, but perhaps we aren't?) Are we just all showing up with no idea what to expect?

3. How much time has passed since her (supposed) death and the present? (Are we talking days? weeks? years?)

4. Have there been any rumors from her friends/allies that she survived? Or is this the first any of us have heard mention of her since her (supposed) death?

Forgive me if this is getting too detailed about something you weren't planning on making a big deal about. It's just... it sounds like you're setting it up as if we're six of the most trusted individuals of a well renowned mercenary/crime lord, who's about to send us on some kind of very important mission that she chose us specifically for. And if that's the case, I feel like we need a pretty good set of backstories to back that up. I mean, if she's only reaching out to 6 people, why us? If she was such a big-shot mercenary leader, why not contact some of her most trusted generals/officers? I mean Zev might not be wise enough to pick up on something like this, but I feel like Arik and Eve might be curious/suspicious over why they were the recipients of such selective information.
    Last edited by treebeard25; 2016-02-03 at 09:04 PM.

24. - Top - End - #24
    Dwarf in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Good questions!

1. Don't know. Did you reach out to other former associates to see if they gears the call?

2. Community messages. Like email. They came from one that Avaris used to use. You have no idea who all was contacted.

3. Dealing with months, maybe about a year.

4. Again depends on who you reached out to in the past year to ask about it. There are of course rumors and speculation that she survived, but those are like tabloid stories.

25. - Top - End - #25
    Titan in the Playground

Derp, forgot to subscribe, let me get caught up.
    TC for short

"I like the sense of chaos this game provides. OOC, I like that I cannot know every available avenue, but that I can pursue whatever avenue I so choose. IC, I like that what I am doing has consequences. It's very very real." --Noedig

26. - Top - End - #26
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by DataDancer View Post
    Thundercrack:

Are there currently any unused Emplacement Points? Also if not, how much cargo space do you currently have available or would be willing to give up for EPs?

Also did you convert any of the crew space for EPs previously? I took the above from your sheet do you have anything more detailed showing the work so we know what's available and what's not?
    The current ship stats are on my sheet as well, I will copy them here when I get home tonight. Cargo space is 145, and room for 6 passengers. 4 guns of 5d10 each (firelinked 2 double light lasers), plus a proton torpedo launcher. No Ep free, but we can convert cargo space.
    Last edited by Thundercracker; 2016-02-03 at 11:30 PM.
    TC for short

27. - Top - End - #27
    Dwarf in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Detailed overviews:

Spoiler: Arik
    Show
    DT should equal your Fort, 16

Did you pick a Background?

Spoiler: Eve
    Show
    Your stats are too high. Droids start with lower point buy totals.
    ...Guess I should have given an actual total. Standard droids get 21, instead of 25. That's between 4/5 and 7/8. so call it 5/6 and go with 25. Please revise.

Human Replica Droids get +2 Str and Dex, -2 Cha. So you're a bit further off, even.

Weapons do stun damage equal to their base damage. And you do +1/2 character level to damage rolls.

Need to pick some languages

Did you pick a Background?

Spoiler: Ruusaan
    Show
    HP should be 52, unless you rolled somewhere I missed?

Spoiler: UB3
    Show
    You do +1/2 level on damage rolls

Spoiler: Wally
    Show
    Looks fine.

Spoiler: Zev
    Show
    Looks fine.

28. - Top - End - #28
    Orc in the Playground

Firstly I apologize for any lapse in forum protocol, thanks for letting me know Odentin.

Secondly, from what I've seen I need to reduce the ammo on my sidearm to 50 and give it stun damage equal to its normal damage. While also adding +2 to BAB (which is .05 of my level 4). Is that correct?manything else?

Treebeard posed some interesting questions, I'll try to scrap something together regarding UB3s relationship with Avris as well as what has been going on in the interim, maybe 7-10 months?

Spoiler: Thundercrack
    Show
    Thundercrack I will look at the ship and what can be done with the 145 tons cargo space, Thundercrack are there any limits you want to place on capping the cargo, so that maybe you still have space for "legitimate" transport runs? Or just go full out gunboat? Most additions I am thinking of will likely be tweaks, and defensive and technical in nature, the at mermen side seems pretty solid.

Also do you mind if I "tinker" with your droids? Or should I leave them "as is"?

Also in terms of our history I'll try to scratch up an outline and get your feedback. In the meantime do you have any thoughts, ideas or presences?

Spoiler: whoiam
    Show
    Regarding background, given that the time between Avris' sacrifice and this new meeting is a little less than a year do you have any ideas of how you want to deal with our time on ship? Any ideas you have for elaborating Arik's , Eve's and UB3's backstory?

Lastly Wall-E and Eve. I see what you did there...
    Last edited by DataDancer; 2016-02-04 at 01:45 AM.

29. - Top - End - #29
    Ogre in the Playground

whoiam wouldn't let me name him Adam.

It's half level to damage, not BAB.

And don't worry about the protocol, really. I had to learn the hard way.
    -Odentin

30. - Top - End - #30
    Titan in the Playground

You can tinker with the droids, but the pit droid is a personal friend of mine. Feel free to spend credits to bump up his computer or mechanics skills, but he's going to be loyal to my character.

The gunners could use some fears to beef up their attacks, advantageous opening would be good for extra attacks, far shot, or jeez, heavy weapon prof, haha.
    TC for short