New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Dwarf in the Playground

Default Oathbound/Ghostwalk questions

So, let's say my character goes to the Forge, puts together the focus that allows me to return. I get killed, go to Manifest, possess a live body, then cast Plane Shift to take me and my possessed body back to the Forge.

So, what happens? Do I now get to be a functional ghost on the Forge? Reading a lot of the Forge material, that might be a first.

So, according to Ghostbound history, 1000 years ago people found this cave that leads to the gates to the afterlife. Do these lead to the Fugue plane? Apparently, some dwarves found the gates first, nothing in the book says anything about how long they have been there. So, somewhere waaaaay back the PM's crystal sphere got created. Do all crystal spheres have an interface to the afterlife, or was it created by someone (a deity or group of deities, I presume)?

If it was created, then how can someone create such an interface on the Forge? Or is there one already, like out in space, from the original worlds that were destroyed? Do they have Manifest Wards? Can a Manifest Ward be created anywhere, or only where the entrance to the afterlife place intersects with the PM?

Just an observation, but it seems to me that TSR/WotC started out with the leaves on the tree (game rules/campaign settings), then reverse engineered to the deities and planes, but never got around to building a cohesive creation system that explains the actual existence of the multiverse in the first place. It's kind of like designing a house from the rooftop down, then finding out no foundation could possibly support all the parts.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Dwarf in the Playground

Default Re: Oathbound/Ghostwalk questions

So, it's kind of too bad there are no crossover PrCs in Ghostwalk, where you gain nifty abilities as a ghost, that remain useful if you get rez'd.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Ettin in the Playground

BlackDragon

My guess: Different Settings have Different Cosmologies

If you read the Plane Questions threads you notice there is some... big discrepancies between Great Wheel settings (Krynn, Greyhawk, Athas, Forgotten Realms, Spelljammer) and non Wheel Settings (Ghostwalk, Eberron). You can port the latter to the former, but it needs the epic spell DM fiat. As to Oathbound itself, it is a third party material, so I dont think you'll find any support for or against its inclusion in the Great Wheel outside of its own setting.

My feel: Ghostwalk is part of the great wheel, but the world of manifest doesn't exist in the PMP but probably in the outlands or in the astral (with all dead souls moved past the PMP drawn there); The Veil of Souls... is a mystery, though probably is what turns Ghosts into Petitioners
    Handbook in Process:Getting the Facts Straight: A Guide to the Factotum

Homebrew:
    Spoiler
    Show
    The Singular Band: There can be only one
    Khayal: A monster class worth playing

Quote Originally Posted by Deophaun View Post
    Player: I'll use a classic ploy. "Help! Guards! He's having a seizure!"
    DM: You're the only one in the prison.
    Player: I'm very convincing.
    DM: And there are no guards.
    Player: But there's masonry.
    DM: It's not even animate, let alone sentient.
    Player: That's ok. I'll take the penalty.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Halfling in the Playground

RogueGuy

so if we are talking D&D multiverse here. We need to separate, assuming ghost walk CAN apply to core settings. You could finesse it into something my idea would be to put the cave to Manafest into the Underdark if your using Feyrun. That being said if you do that you can open it up to the other worlds in the core settings, ie Greyhawk, Feyrun, and the others. I personally would tailor it to the setting if it doesn't fit it wont fit.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Troll in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Andorn View Post
    Do these lead to the Fugue plane?
    The Fugue Plane is Torilspace only (Forgotten Realms) so we can rule that out instantly as the Ghostwalk setting in not on Toril.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Ettin in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

Ghostwalk is notoriously unpopular for lacking supporting material; any halfway decent DM is making up half of the stuff on the go with Ghostwalk.

It works better if you choose to incorporate the book into an existing setting, but even that takes finagling.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark Hall View Post
    There's a reason why we bap your nose, not crucify you, for thread necromancy.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Barbarian in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by atemu1234 View Post
    Ghostwalk is notoriously unpopular for lacking supporting material; any halfway decent DM is making up half of the stuff on the go with Ghostwalk.

It works better if you choose to incorporate the book into an existing setting, but even that takes finagling.
    Which is a shame because it is such a fantastic book, more details to flesh it out could have made it as established as Ebberon

8. - Top - End - #8
    Ogre in the Playground

Pretty sure Monte Cook himself once said that he planned for it to be about as extensive as Ptolus, but he got into some real annoying problems with the printers and publishers. A real case of 'what could have been'.

On that note, the city of manifest works surprisingly well in a Ptolus-based setting. The entire notion that no one really knows what's beyond the veil plays neatly into the whole planar segregation theme.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by atemu1234 View Post

I threw out the Ghost Walk cosmology and imported the rest of the book's content to my standard, great-wheel+ cosmology setting. Just about all of it works perfectly well in other settings.
    I am not seaweed. That's a B.

Praise I've received
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by ThiagoMartell View Post
    Kelb, recently it looks like you're the Avatar of Reason in these forums, man.
    Quote Originally Posted by LTwerewolf View Post
    [...] bringing Kelb in on your side in a rules fight is like bringing Mike Tyson in on your side to fight a toddler. You can, but it's such massive overkill.
    A quick outline on building a homebrew campaign