A Monster for Every Season: Summer 2
You can get A Monster for Every Season: Summer 2 now at Gumroad
Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 123456789101112 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #61
    Barbarian in the Playground

Default Re: OOTS #1022 - The Discussion Thread

Quote Originally Posted by Icedaemon View Post
    Too bad, It was such a nice stick.

Hold on, throwing a thing at someone's face can definitely be construed as an attack. Why would Roy assume that a weak throw with non-lethal intent is any less of a cause for his own destruction than using a throwing weapon?
    Roy's wording of "The Order of the Stick is not responsible for any damage that may occur during the delivery of unholy relics." includes damage to the receiving party because he did not specify being responsible for damage only to the relic.

EDIT: Ninja'd
    Last edited by Grand Arbiter; 2016-02-08 at 02:44 PM.

2. - Top - End - #62
    Ettin in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Breaking the Staff was great and returning it the most aggressive (not attacking) way possible right now even better. NHPoH should have specified she wants the thing intact. Not that it would have helped.
    "If it lives it can be killed.
    If it is dead it can be eaten."

Ronkong Coma "the way of the bookhunter" III Catacombium
    (Walter Moers "Die Stadt der träumenden Bücher")

3. - Top - End - #63
    Halfling in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

I'm still giggling over the last panel

4. - Top - End - #64
    Pixie in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

last we saw belkar, he was about to face down a pretty nasty vampire, i worry he might come in with slightly sharper teeth than before.............. ;(
    Fifty imaginary bucks says that next time we see Belkar he's going to be casually strolling past a pile of dead vampires that he just killed.
    The drama at the church is over now after all. The real problem now is catching up to Not-Durkon and stopping him. Plus its Belkar.
    i'm just sayin......... he does have that ominous death prediction from the seer and all, nothing like a vampire fight to make it happen, and he was supposed to jump in and save the day, wasn't he?

http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0572.html
    Last edited by cctrackstar; 2016-02-08 at 02:55 PM.

5. - Top - End - #65
    Firbolg in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Roger_Druid View Post
    Hi all!

Plus: shouldn't Roy be hit with a bazillion of breaking-a-magical-staff damage? Once, playing a Paladin of 3.5e, a got a 200HP damage, no ST, on my face, when someone did that (as a last effort to dispose of me and my party). I barely survived (was 13th lvl), as well as my party...

Roger
    Only when the rules for the particular magical item call that out - Staff of Power and Staff of Magi do, others do not. This magic item is Rich's creation and he has decided it doesn't.

Quote Originally Posted by SpectralDerp View Post
    This feels badly written. Good job throwing a weapon in the face of someone right after you talk rules-lawyering and avoiding repercussions for attacking, now the next chapter can declare that you broke the rules and need to be killed. Oh wait, that's not going to happen because the giant didn't think things through and doesn't want his ****-up to derail everything. So I guess it arbitrarily doesn't count.
    If that constitutes an attack by the rules of the Godsmoot then probably tripping and spilling coffee would as well - that stick did 0 HP of damage, Roy knew that it would do 0 HP of damage, and so does everyone in the room.
    This ... is my signature finishing move!

"It's never good when you make a fiend cringe" - MadGrady

According to some online quiz, I'm a 6th level TN Wizard. They didn't give me full XP for all the monsters I've defeated while daydreaming.
    http://easydamus.com/character.html

I am a Ranger Archetype: Gleaming Warden (thx to Ninja Prawn)

6. - Top - End - #66

So, are we going to start calling Durkula GPTBD from now on? (Guy pretending to be Durkon)

7. - Top - End - #67
    Orc in the Playground

Daemon

I honestly hope Belkar gets vamped, not for the sake of his life (or unlife), but so maybe he can arrive and the new HPoH can make a huge mistake in declaring him her bodyguard, hell, even if Belkar is being controlled similar to everyone else I wouldn't put it past him to goad an evil thrall into attacking her for him in some way or another.

Also, only noticed it on 2nd read, but that line "Maybe in ways we can't even fix" was probably my 2nd favorite part, just behind the order of the stick branching into a delivery service for a broken vampiric staff delivery to (soon to be broken) vampiric staff.

8. - Top - End - #68
    Troll in the Playground

Nice one Roy.

Not bad Mr. Giant.

9. - Top - End - #69

PaladinGuy

Two reactions:
    Spoiler
    Show

--pleased that no one has yet expressed moral outrage (as opposed to concern about rules lawyering getting him killed) about Roy destroying the staff (of course, I've jinxed it now);

--Belkar clearly will be going on with the others to the dwarven homeland, and will be outraged when he staggers in heavily wounded to gloat to Roy only to have him respond, "We know--time to hit the road again to deal with it."

10. - Top - End - #70
    Pixie in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Question Re: OOTS #1022 - The Discussion Thread

Is the high priestess now effectively dead?

I don't see her as knowing the protection from the sunlight spell and that room has a lot of windows.

I also really doubt the plotline will be wrapped up in a day.

Resurrection doesn't work as well right because she will come back as herself not as a vampire?

11. - Top - End - #71

Hold on, throwing a thing at someone's face can definitely be construed as an attack. Why would Roy assume that a weak throw with non-lethal intent is any less of a cause for his own destruction than using a throwing weapon?
    Because it was funny. Funny trumps 'rules' in this comic.
    3DS Friend Code: 1907-9395-1731
    Pokemon X Info: Modern Pattern Vivillon & Flying-Type Friend Safari (w/ Farfetch'd & Swanna)

Avatar: Thanks to asdflove for my avatar. ^_^

12. - Top - End - #72

BardGuy

Also ... Object in mirror are closer than they appear - WHACK!

Always a delight to see the plot develop. One more loose end to wrap up and then we can get to the meat of it.

13. - Top - End - #73

SamuraiGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Kolhammer View Post

I don't see her as knowing the protection from the sunlight spell and that room has a lot of windows.

I also really doubt the plotline will be wrapped up in a day.

Resurrection doesn't work as well right because she will come back as herself not as a vampire?
    That's very true - but I don't think we've established how long Malack's protection from sunlight spell lasts. We know Malack used to cast it daily, but that doesn't mean it lasts only 24 hours.

Also, I think it has to be direct sunlight and the room has balconies, so probably there's a place on the south wall under a balcony where she could cower in terror during the daytime.
    This ... is my signature finishing move!

"It's never good when you make a fiend cringe" - MadGrady

According to some online quiz, I'm a 6th level TN Wizard. They didn't give me full XP for all the monsters I've defeated while daydreaming.
    http://easydamus.com/character.html

I am a Ranger Archetype: Gleaming Warden (thx to Ninja Prawn)

14. - Top - End - #74
    Troll in the Playground

Lizardfolk

This was fun. I suspect Roy is speaking for a lot of readers right now.

It does seem a bit odd that we haven't seen anything of Belkar fighting the vampire goliath now that all of the other vamp minions have dusted off one way or another.
    Spoiler: Quotes
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    Also, as a rule of thumb, if you find yourself defending your inalienable right to make someone else feel like garbage, you're on the wrong side of the argument.
    Quote Originally Posted by oppyu View Post
    There is nothing more emblematic of this forum than three or four pages of debate between people who, as it turns out, pretty much agree with each other.

Check this game out! Or at least give it a thumbs up.
    Why "because the plot said so" is not a good answer.

15. - Top - End - #75
    Ettin in the Playground

Has anyone mentioned that Roy can now just kill the new HPoH and resolve this whole side-quest?
    THE SCRYING EYE AT THE END OF STRIP #698 WAS ZZ'DTRI'S (SOURCE)

16. - Top - End - #76
    Dwarf in the Playground

BardGuy

NOOO!!!!

Does the "SMACK" at the end represent non-lethal damage? If so, will Roy be attacked by Vampires?!

17. - Top - End - #77
    Ettin in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by AbyssStalker View Post
    I honestly hope Belkar gets vamped, not for the sake of his life (or unlife), but so maybe he can arrive and the new HPoH can make a huge mistake in declaring him her bodyguard, hell, even if Belkar is being controlled similar to everyone else I wouldn't put it past him to goad an evil thrall into attacking her for him in some way or another.

Also, only noticed it on 2nd read, but that line "Maybe in ways we can't even fix" was probably my 2nd favorite part, just behind the order of the stick branching into a delivery service for a broken vampiric staff delivery to (soon to be broken) vampiric staff.
    If Belkar got vamped the vampire won't be on his legs already. The sequence didn't last that long. The only reason those other vampires rose so fast was the Staff. And that was in the Moot-chamber when Belkar encountered the vampires.
    "If it lives it can be killed.
    If it is dead it can be eaten."

Ronkong Coma "the way of the bookhunter" III Catacombium
    (Walter Moers "Die Stadt der träumenden Bücher")

18. - Top - End - #78
    Dwarf in the Playground

BarbarianGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Kolhammer View Post
    Depends on the vampire rules in play. It will likely be a few days until the dwarven vote gets done one way or another. The HPoH has no coffin and is required to stay in the warded part of the godsmoot until the vote is complete. Staying out of the direct sunlight or window filtered sunlight should not be a big deal. A slightly weakened HPoH is likely all that will happen.

The other priests can made do on create food and water etc.

Hmm, what would a vampire cleric get when casting create food and water? I suppose there is always summon woodland being or other summoning spells for vampire food supply.

19. - Top - End - #79
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Gift Jeraff View Post
    Has anyone mentioned that Roy can now just kill the new HPoH and resolve this whole side-quest?
    Asked and answered in the dialogue between Veldrina and Roy in frames 1-4 of this comic, #1022.

In short, no, he can't.

20. - Top - End - #80

Great strip as usual.
    : But you can't make an omelette without ruthlessly crushing dozens of eggs beneath your steel boot and then publicly disemboweling the chickens that laid them as a warning to others.

21. - Top - End - #81

Quote Originally Posted by KorvinStarmast View Post
    I am trying to come up with a jest involving "order of the stick" and "delivery of two sticks that were once a stick" but all I can come up with stinks as a joke.
    That stick is now.... out of order.
    Spoiler: Games
    Show
    Keston Tornok for GF's AoW
    Loradralsornux for GF's Savage Tide
    Avakuss for kinem's Planescape: Center of All
    Sgt Ladaran Xiloscient for MrAbdiel's D&D-Day: The Ballad of Echo Company (WW2 with D&D Rules)
    Ganzak for Toliudar's Coming Unstuck

Extended Signature - More detailed game/character notes

22. - Top - End - #82
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Gift Jeraff View Post
    Mentioned in comic actually. Doing so would result in the whole Temple having to cooperate in turning Roy into a greasy spot on the floor with divine magics, resulting in the OotS falling apart after Roy's death (again), freeing up Xykon and Redcloak to complete their plan with the gates, unless the gods do in fact vote to destroy the universe and remake it. When the best outcome of a plan is 'an evil Lich obtains supreme power and conquers most of if not all the world,' you need a better plan.
    Quote Originally Posted by Grod_The_Giant View Post
    We should try to make that a thing; I think it might help civility. Hey, GitP, let's try to make this a thing: when you're arguing optimization strategies, RAW-logic, and similar such things that you'd never actually use in a game, tag your post [THEORETICAL] and/or use green text

23. - Top - End - #83
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Cavir View Post
    That stick is now.... out of order.
    Well played, sir -- that is the sort of thing I was trying to make happen, but the brain failed its funny check. (And I can't buy another skill rank for love nor money).

24. - Top - End - #84

BardGuy

The demise of the Staff of Way OP Necromancy reminds me fondly of the end of several over-powered items at the hands of DM's I've known (or been on occasion).

New HPoH may need to invest in sunscreen once her current protection wears off.
    I gave up fighting, and stabbing and bludgeoning and stealing and bar-brawls and wenches . . . and it was the worst 10 rounds of my life - Jerry the Country & Western Bard.

WHY ISN'T HE JOLLY???

25. - Top - End - #85
    Spamalot in the Playground

Too bad, It was such a nice stick.

Quote Originally Posted by SpectralDerp View Post
    This feels badly written. Good job throwing a weapon in the face of someone right after you talk rules-lawyering and avoiding repercussions for attacking, now the next chapter can declare that you broke the rules and need to be killed. Oh wait, that's not going to happen because the giant didn't think things through and doesn't want his ****-up to derail everything. So I guess it arbitrarily doesn't count.
    I disagree - a gesture that has no chance of harming someone can't really be considered an attack. Would tapping someone on the shoulder or brushing a feather on their hand be an attack?

Vampires have damage reduction, thus tossing some non-magical wood in one's face would be like blowing bubbles at them as far as I'm concerned. (Granted, the Giant could decide to interpret it that way and create more drama but my guess is that we're more or less done with the Godsmoot for the moment.)
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    But really, the important lesson here is this: Rather than making assumptions that don't fit with the text and then complaining about the text being wrong, why not just choose different assumptions that DO fit with the text?
    Plague Doctor by Crimmy
    Ext. Sig (Handbooks/Creations)

26. - Top - End - #86
    Dwarf in the Playground

RedSorcererGirl

this comic made me giggle loudly.

27. - Top - End - #87

DwarfClericGuy

I picture Roy as having figured out all of the angles at this point. He pretty much had guessed a number of things and had them confirmed. Therefore, he knew that he could break the staff and throw the pieces into the vampire's face.

This strip answered a lot of questions fast. It's time to get back to the ship and make a run to the north quickly. I suspect that Belkar is about to make an entrance.

Protection from Sunlight spell: Durkula researched it. According to RAW, he is the only one allowed to cast it unless he teaches it to someone else. I have often wondered if sharing the knowledge of the spell with a deity is enough to allow the deity to grant the spell to other clerics of the faith.
    Last edited by Kareasint; 2016-02-08 at 03:44 PM.
    FTDWIR

28. - Top - End - #88

BlueKnightGuy

Durkon's thrall (I forgot his name) had stated in #1016 that he had gotten the teleportation orb so that they could dominate they dwarven elders. Since he doesn't have the staff... well i don't know if dominate and vampirise are the same thing. I don't play D&D, so can someone please tell me if I'm right?
    P.S I KNEW that staff would come up somewhere.

EDIT: Vel's hair in that first panel though... XD
    Last edited by Idiotic_Bird; 2016-02-08 at 03:36 PM.

29. - Top - End - #89
    Troll in the Playground

Two words summarize my feelings for this comic:

**** yeah!

This is why Roy is my favourite character in comic.
    Adrie, half elven bard. Drawing by Vulion, avatar by CheesePirate. Colored version by Callos_DeTerran. Thanks a lot, you guys.
    This place is not a place of honor…no highly esteemed deed is commemorated here… nothing valued is here.
    "There will come a day so dark you will pray for death. On that day your prayers will be answered."
    Book of shadows, book of night, wake the beast and banish light.

30. - Top - End - #90

Quote Originally Posted by Idiotic_Bird View Post
    Durkon's thrall (I forgot his name) had stated in #1016 that he had gotten the teleportation orb so that they could dominate they dwarven elders. Since he doesn't have the staff... well i don't know if dominate and vampirise are the same thing. I don't play D&D, so can someone please tell me if I'm right?
    The Dominate ability is something that vampires can just do at any time, no staff required. The staff would only be needed if they wanted to turn the dwarven elders into vampires quickly, but that doesn't seem to be the plan.