New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Colossus in the Playground

Default RWBY Tuesday: LaZodiac plays RWBY Grimm Eclipse and maybe other RWBY things!(?)

So, some set up before I post this outright. This is RWBY Tuesday, the weekly sort of show where I play primarly the RWBY Grimm Eclipse game and potentially other RWBY games that happen. This is sort of something I promised I'd do and now I'm doing it yo!

RWBY Tuesday: RWBY Grimm Eclipse [1] First Impressions

Video Length: 26:10

Welcome to RWBY Tuesday, the show where I play a/the RWBY game and talking about it and junk. So lets start with how this game actually plays mechanically. As a beat em up, the game controls actually pretty alright. You move with the control stick and attack with a button. Their is currently only one real attack button, though they're apparently changing that up I'll talk about it when it happens. So yeah, every character only has one combo on the ground and one on the air. It's a little boring, but their is a way to change it up. Another button is the shoot button, that you can use to use a ranged attack, and if you press it during a combo it breaks your combo with a different combo finisher called a Burst Attack. It doesn't matter where you use the Burst Attack it's always the same. Finally, we have Special moves, moves that use up a bar of your special gauge on each use. I'll be going over the specific moves of each character as I talk about them specifically, but for now all you need to know is that there are three of them.

Whenever you level up (max level 10, though it's nigh impossible to get to that level solo) you get a skill point, which you can use to buy an upgrade for any of your specials or on one of a handful of passives, all but two of which are the same for each character. However, not every upgrade is available at the start of the game. Most of your options are locked behind in my opinion quite ludicrous challenges that, once completed, are unlocked forever once they're actually unlocked. For the most part it's killing upwards of 400 Grimm with one of your Special moves, and that's just absurd and grindy as hell. Maybe it'd be less bad if there was more campaigns, but with just the one available right now it's a little much. Also, the final tier of each special move is exclusive, you can't pick both.

Going a little deeper into gameplay, we find another really big problem. There isn't any lock on button in this game, and instead of that the game has a sort of auto aim system where the game, occasionally, just DECIDES that no, your attack is going here instead of where you want it. You can see it happen more then a few times in this video and it's absolutely infuriating and AWFUL. Every time it happens I get hit because the enemy I WAS going to kill doesn't die, allowing it to hit me, and another enemy that wouldn't be in range TO hit me now can because the game forced me to move towards it with my combo's momentum. This is trash and is one of the biggest things that NEEDS to be changed. Another problem is that the Dodgeroll that is in game is...finicky at best. It doesn't always work when you press it, and doesn't allow you to dodge cancel your moves...at least sometimes. Sometimes it does, but sometimes it doesn't, and its really frustrating and is another thing that messes up with the game flow. It's also awful almost getting killed because, for some reason, the game just doesn't let you dodge out of some attacks.

Speaking of getting killed, the way health works in this game just...just DOESN'T. You have your Aura and it heals if you avoid taking damage for awhile and I mean okay, that's fine, a beat em up with a regenerating shield bar isn't something I've ever seen before and I personally thing it causes a problem with game difficult, but giving how the enemies have kinda bull**** homing on their physical attacks that doesn't seem super bad? But the problem with this health system is that once your Aura breaks, you have literally zero indication of how many hits you have left before you die. In some testing I've done past this video, I've survived more then a few hits with my Aura broken, and sometimes the same enemy would just kill me in one hit after it was broken. Their is no indication and it's super stupid and they NEED to fix this IMMEDIATELY. Now, they have said they're fixing UI stuff in a recent note about an upcoming patch, and I really hope "an actual indication of health" is one of the things added.

So, that's a general overview of the mechanics in general, so lets look at the character I'm playing as here, Ruby! Our erstwhile protagonist, Ruby is of course a rather average character in terms of speed and power. Which doesn't really make sense given that Ruby has super speed but whatever, almost zero of the aura powers are actually shown in game. Ruby's full ground combo chains into her full air combo and it's pretty great. It allows her to quite easily build up her special gauge, and allows her to kill beta wolves in one combo, which rules. Her gun attack is three blasts that knock her back, the third hit always making her flip, though it's a little hard to aim (the one time this game's auto aim system is even remotely good, but could be done far easier with a lock on mechanic). Ruby's specials are also relatively simple. She has Crescendo, a large AOE swing that damages enemies. It's second level of upgrade makes it able to be charged, allowing for a larger range and more damage. It's still really quick, so that's good too. The third level of upgrade makes Crescendo even stronger, and theoretically knocking enemies back (in practice I've never really seen it do that). As for what it's other third option is, I don't know you need to kill 300 enemies with it and I just haven't done that yet welp. My intention is to get all of these abilities unlocked and show them all off in a video after I do all the campaigns solo and stuff, as an aside.

Ruby's second attack is Reap, where she leaps into the air and does a sideway spin that deals quite a lot of damage to enemies in front of and behind her. It's short range, but given it's speed it'll almost always catch enemies in it. If you upgrade it you can charge up to do more damage but since this makes it a little slower sometimes enemies can get out of it, which is frustrating. Her third tier upgrades are either an ability that makes Reap push her forward when charged up, sort of mitigating the weakness I said above. The other upgrade, which requires 200 enemies be killed by Reap (something I've done in my off time) makes it do a very large explosion at the impact zone Reap hits, causing quite a lot of damage (enough to kill beta wolves in one hit) and giving Reap an AOE like effect.

Ruby's third special is Dust Shot, a ranged attack that causes an explosive attack to hit an enemy. Very simple but it does help with crowd control. It's only got one tier of upgrade, so make it count. One upgrade makes the attack have a little higher damage and larger AOE by making it electrical and the others are...well I don't know it's 200 and 400 kills with this to get them and it's the weakest of Ruby's specials so I don't know yet! So lets talk about Ruby's two unique passives. One of them, which requires killing 100 enemies with ranged attacks (difficult, but not super absurd especially when Dust Shot counts as ranged) gives you armor piercing rounds for your gun! This is actually pretty good. The second Ruby passive, unlocked by getting level ten (impossible while solo but otherwise fine as far as my testing has gone) lets her special gauge recharge faster. Nice and simple.

So hey lets talk about the enemies now. We've got what I call the beta and alpha lizards, called Creeps. They're rude enemies that dig into the ground to try and ambush you from below, and have a really annoyingly accurate tailswipe attack. That aside even the alphas are kinda...not even remotely threatening. These are the most generic enemy in the game, and as such are quite easy to deal with. Beta and alpha wolves, the Beowulves you all know and love, are a little tougher and stronger but since Ruby can kill a beta in one full combo it's not super threatening. They've got a high speed dash teleport attack thing, and a super infuriating claw fury that makes them invincible for the duration. Finally we have the pigs, aka Boarbatusks. These guys are...well, they're an example of the game being broke. They do their sonic spindash at you and according to Port are SUPPOSED to be dazed after missing you, but they just aren't. They aren't affected by missing at all. They also have a head but attack, which they're invincible during the set up for. That being said, because of how Ruby's full combo work, she completely invalidates how these enemies actually work. The auto launching of her ground combo's finisher completely bypasses the pig's head but move.

So, to round out this post, lets talk about CANON! So, according to Roosterteeth this game is canon, taking place between Volume 2 and 3. The problem is...at least for these first two levels, the main plot mcguffin we have to deal with is a security/communication thingo. That is built outside the city limit. Which is supposed to be working but isn't. We know from the Communication Tower WOR that this...is impossible, we know the Grimm just destroy anything we build outside the walls, so why is this even a concern? I guess maybe these are temporary security devices that you know are working when they're destroyed because hey it means Grimm in the area are riled up, but that seems a little silly. But whatever, the plot is so thin I think we can just handwave it away. The important part is that the tech that seems to be interfering with the devices, and seem to be placed to capture Grimm, are from Merlot Industries, a company that was in Mountain Glenn before everyone died. Huh. Wonder where this'll go.

And that was RWBY Tuesday. Hope you guys all enjoyed. If you have any questions/comments/suggestions/whatever feel free to post them and stuff. I'll be doing this every Tuesday, and my posts likely won't be this lengthy (in the future I'll really only have to explain what the character's specials do and how they play) so consider this huuuuge post an oddity.
    Last edited by LaZodiac; 2016-03-10 at 11:17 AM.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Miniature Giant Space Hamster in the Playground Administrator

Default Re: RWBY Tuesday: LaZodiac plays RWBY Grimm Ecclipse and maybe other RWBY things!(?)

Quote Originally Posted by LaZodiac View Post
    So, to round out this post, lets talk about CANON! So, according to Roosterteeth this game is canon, taking place between Volume 2 and 3. The problem is...at least for these first two levels, the main plot mcguffin we have to deal with is a security/communication thingo. That is built outside the city limit. Which is supposed to be working but isn't. We know from the Communication Tower WOR that this...is impossible, we know the Grimm just destroy anything we build outside the walls, so why is this even a concern? I guess maybe these are temporary security devices that you know are working when they're destroyed because hey it means Grimm in the area are riled up, but that seems a little silly. But whatever, the plot is so thin I think we can just handwave it away. The important part is that the tech that seems to be interfering with the devices, and seem to be placed to capture Grimm, are from Merlot Industries, a company that was in Mountain Glenn before everyone died. Huh. Wonder where this'll go.
    You're forgetting about all the smaller communication towers placed outside the city walls which have a tendency to be destroyed by the Grimm quite frequently, which were mentioned in the very same World of Remnant video.

"My Hobby: Replacing your soap with gravy" by rtg0922, Doll and Clint "Rawhide" Eastwood by Sneak

3. - Top - End - #3

Default Re: RWBY Tuesday: LaZodiac plays RWBY Grimm Ecclipse and maybe other RWBY things!(?)

Quote Originally Posted by Rawhide View Post
    You're forgetting about all the smaller communication towers placed outside the city walls which have a tendency to be destroyed by the Grimm quite frequently, which were mentioned in the very same World of Remnant video.
    I thought the idea was that those weren't actually viable. Guess I misunderstood!

4. - Top - End - #4

NecromancerGuy

I'm excited to see how the silly plot progresses in its silliness and how many plotholes they create.

Her third tier upgrades are either an ability that makes Reap push her forward when charged up, sort of mitigating the weakness I said above.
    Ruby the hedgegenki. Super fast. Not so much in the spin attack department.
    Last edited by Coidzor; 2016-02-09 at 01:29 PM.

5. - Top - End - #5

I thought the idea was that those weren't actually viable. Guess I misunderstood!
    They're not. But when have you ever known humans not to keep rebuilding even when it isn't viable?

"My Hobby: Replacing your soap with gravy" by rtg0922, Doll and Clint "Rawhide" Eastwood by Sneak

6. - Top - End - #6

They're not. But when have you ever known humans not to keep rebuilding even when it isn't viable?
    Good point!

7. - Top - End - #7
    Ogre in the Playground

Ruby's specials are also relatively simple. She has Crescendo, a large AOE swing that damages enemies. It's second level of upgrade makes it able to be charged, allowing for a larger range and more damage. It's still really quick, so that's good too. The third level of upgrade makes Crescendo even stronger, and theoretically knocking enemies back (in practice I've never really seen it do that).
    Legend of Ruby: The Minish Scythe?
    Quote Originally Posted by TheAmishPirate
    Psychology has nothing to say on the courtship of dragons, but science will surely catch up in time.
    Spoiler: Previous Avatars!
    Show

Kitty Lacuna by Kymme

Spoiler: Characters
    Show

8. - Top - End - #8

Quote Originally Posted by Hawkflight View Post
    Legend of Ruby: The Minish Scythe?
    Hah, nice. It's basically that, yeah. Ties into the other thing I'm doing too, which is funny as well

9. - Top - End - #9

OH hey it's that time again. It's time for my less popular show that gets more views anyway, woo!

RWBY Tuesday: RWBY Grimm Eclipse [2] Threebears

Video Length: 27:19

This is the back half of the first campaign, and it basically features a complete shift in goals to what we have been doing. We've gotta go into Mountain Glenn (a ruined city expansion) accompanied by Professor Oobleck, a man with...lets say questionable voice acting and writing (especially for this series) but a character I sort of like too. Regadless, we're looking for leads on the Merlot industries stuff, so it seems kinda neat? My main problem is that by the end of it...nothing has really happened and a lot of apparently coincidental stuff is taken as being direct traps by our navigator, and that's kind of dumb.

Speaking of dumb, we meet our last new enemies here. We meet the Ursa, which I'm just calling bears. The beta bears aren't TOO much of a problem, but they're able to break your aura in two hits and aren't shy about just bashing you in the face mid combo, especially since they get invincible when attacking. They're also completely immune to bullet fire! So that's cool. Alpha bears are not even remotely difference except for increased health and damage, they're basically just the same enemy in every regard. Later on in these stages we get into an encounter where we must face what I am affectionately calling "threebears" because of just...how ridiculous and stupid it is.

The threebears is an encounter where you, a single person, are expected to kill three of the beta bear enemies. This probably wouldn't be a big problem if you had allies with you, but I don't. Now, yes, this game IS intended to be multiplayer, but since in my testing I've seen that they actually make this and all other encounters harder if you have multiple players, it means that they genuinely expect a solo player to handle this. At least with Ruby, with the options I have available to me right now, this is almost impossible. I had to speed up the fight because it added FOUR MINUTES to my play time, and that's absurd. I did put in some cool music though.

We also encounter a "mutated" Grimm, a lizard that's got all sorts of glowy green Dust crystals jutting out of it. I don't know what these enemies do since I killed them every time and never got attacked by one but I'm guessing they explode and do a lot of damage on you. Neat I guess.

Now...lets talk about the silly Payload section at the end of the final level of the Campaign. This is...very silly! First of all, there...really isn't a reason to bother with this bomb cart at all. It in no way actually impedes our progress, and for some reason Oobleck is like "hey yo this is a trap intended to kill us" despite...no evidence towards that at all. So we're basically forced into a silly event where we have to grab single dust crystals from processing machines (that still work despite it being years since they were put here and worked on) to fuel the cart so it can fall off a ledge and explode harmlessly. It's just really goofy. But in the end we do it, and don't reach level 10. Now, I know from testing and other sources that it IS possible to hit level 10 solo...but it leaves you with like 10 seconds left on the payload timer so I still think it's correct to say it's fundamentally impossible.

With that, we've beaten the first Campaign solo with Ruby. We also, tragically, learn that the name of the Campaign is "The Phantom Grimmace" because Roosterteeth is nothing but terrible. Womp womp.

Anyway, here is the vote where you can tell me who to play solo as next: Vote on me please!

10. - Top - End - #10
    Titan in the Playground

I can forgive a beat-em-up many things. I can forgive them the pretty lousy graphics for this day and age, after all, they are secondary. I can forgive the nearly-panty-flash characters, because hey... we all know what sells to creepy Otaku these days, right? I can forgive the campy acting. I can forgive the blank 'radar' style map.

What I can't forgive? Bad controls on a beat-em-up.

What made Megaman so amazing was the controls were TIGHT. You tell him to do something, he bloody well does it. If you miss the jump, it wasn't because of glitchy controls, it's because lrn2plyn00b. This is pretty much the ONLY thing you really need in this genre for it to be at least an okay game.

Inability to control camera angles, bad auto-cam, glitchy controls mid-combat in a button-masher... these are cardinal sins and should be the dev team's primary focus at this point. I could beat up the beta animals all day long, deal with the cheesy repetitive voice-overs, and everything else in the game if only they could only control better and I could see what I am doing.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Underlord View Post
    All hail great Shneekeythulhu! Ia Ia Shneeky fthagn
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quite possibly, the best rebuttal I have ever witnessed.
    Joker Bard - the DM's solution to the Batman Wizard.
    Takahashi no Onisan - The scariest Samurai alive
    Incarnum and YOU: a reference guide
    Soulmelds, by class and slot: Another Incarnum reference
    Multiclassing for Newbies: A reference guide for the rest of us

My homebrew world in progress: Falcora

11. - Top - End - #11

Quote Originally Posted by ShneekeyTheLost View Post

Inability to control camera angles, bad auto-cam, glitchy controls mid-combat in a button-masher... these are cardinal sins and should be the dev team's primary focus at this point. I could beat up the beta animals all day long, deal with the cheesy repetitive voice-overs, and everything else in the game if only they could only control better and I could see what I am doing.
    As someone who lives and breathes beat em ups I can't do anything but heavily, heavily agree.

Now, you CAN adjust the camera using the right stick, but it's quite limited and the camera does move on it's own, and as we've seen it causes quite a lot of...awkward camera angles. The WORST of it is the auto aim, which gets even worse in multiplayer (the thing this game is DESIGNED for). The fact that it's not listed at the absolute top of their "next patch details" list is a really bad sign for this game.

12. - Top - End - #12

It's Tuesday! You know what that means: more of this thing that I'm doing.

RWBY Tuesday: RWBY Grimm Eclipse [3] Bored Ninja Cat

Video Length: 24:58

This video has a slight spoiler for the series in it, if you care about that.

It's time for us to do the first campaign solo as our second character, Blake! She's a cat girl ninja and as far as I can tell she's the WORST of the four main cast in game terms. She's got a nice ground to air combo like Ruby, though it feels less reliable on the whole. Her gun is weaker then everyone else's but she can rapid fire it without any stops. Her burst attack is...utter garbage trash if you're fighting more then three enemies because the auto aim problem I mentioned last video? It seems like it's TRIPLED in what it does when playing as Blake. I get my ass beat hard because the game just doesn't work right sometimes, and it's inexcusable that they have no plans to fix this.

Anyway, lets talk a bit about Blake's abilities. Her first is her Shadow Clone technique. At it's most base level it's on a level of uselessness slightly below everyone else's unupgraded specials. It's an AOE that also pushes Blake back, obstensibly to escape, but it's not really good at that and the AOE isn't even that strong. The only upgrade I have for it makes the AOE stronger, but on a delayed timer, and it does that thing where it makes the ability cost 2 SP without telling you that it does that. Cool and great. Also cool and great is that sometimes if you or any enemy physically touches the rock clone the upgraded version makes, it just shatters and does nothing! Yay for wasting your SP!

Her second ability is Shadow Strike, and this is The Good One. At base it's basically worthless, a dashing attack that does a little more then a single regular hit. Upgrade it to the second level though and you get two clones helping you with the attack, and if you're willing to burn your SP gauge off this can clear like 70% of an entire wave as Blake just flies around like a spazzy cat, hitting everyone. I don't know what the third upgrade is because this is the only ability in the game where every last tier option is locked off until you kill enough people with it.

Finally we have the Blade Beam, which is a super short range explosion of noise and dust that deals a lot of damage. It's short range capabilities honestly make it kind of bad, and upgrading it changes absolutely nothing but the damage dealt and the time it takes to actually fire the thing. On the one hand it feels useless and does nothing 80% of the time, but on the other hand sometimes you tear a bear open from nearly full health. The noise it makes needs to be reduced though it's like someone pile drove a microphone into a cement mixer.

So yeah that's basically all I have to say until the new patch comes out. There is not a lot to this game right now!

13. - Top - End - #13
    Titan in the Playground

NOT working on the bad control mechanics on a beat-em-up? Ummm... wow. I wouldn't even mind devolving into an N64 press-and-hold lock button style of mechanic. Not the best, but it is at least something I can work with. But glitchy auto-aim? Pass.
    Spoiler
    Show

14. - Top - End - #14
    Troll in the Playground

Love the videos. Can tell I'm not missing much not being able to play (because Windows is a headache to log into and I have work is so crazy I'm getting a bunch done today and yeah...).

What is with the reference to Megaman? Every Megaman game is a platformer (he is a character in some fighting games) I thought beat-em-ups are basically what they sound like, you play a character that goes around beating things up...that's it. If there are lots of platforms or RPG elements or any other aspects, it becomes some other sort of game.
    Quote Originally Posted by Morty View Post
    It would have been awesome if the writers had put as much thought into it as you guys do.
    The laws of physics are not crying in a corner, they are bawling in the forums.

Thanks to half-halfling for the avatar

15. - Top - End - #15

Quote Originally Posted by Reddish Mage View Post
    Love the videos. Can tell I'm not missing much not being able to play (because Windows is a headache to log into and I have work is so crazy I'm getting a bunch done today and yeah...).

What is with the reference to Megaman? Every Megaman game is a platformer (he is a character in some fighting games) I thought beat-em-ups are basically what they sound like, you play a character that goes around beating things up...that's it. If there are lots of platforms or RPG elements or any other aspects, it becomes some other sort of game.
    Uh...not to sound like an idiot but what reference to Megaman did I make again? Or was the game making it and I just didn't notice because this game is so separate from the action-platforming gameplay of Megaman that I didn't even notice?

Hope work cools down for you, it always sucks when your job is crushing you.

16. - Top - End - #16

Quote Originally Posted by Reddish Mage View Post
    Here: .

Quote Originally Posted by ShneekeyTheLost View Post

What made Megaman so amazing was the controls were TIGHT.

17. - Top - End - #17

Aaah, My guess is that it's just to compare things. Like, they're not the same game type, but the idea of "controls shouldn't be bad" is universal. Megaman's got some tight, good controls, something that the RWBY game could make use of.

18. - Top - End - #18

the idea of "controls shouldn't be bad" is universal
    *cough* *cough*

19. - Top - End - #19

You misunderstand, those games have good controls. What you do with them are weird and looks broken in some cases, but the controls for these are actually pretty good for the most part. They have to be to really "sell" the game.

20. - Top - End - #20

You misunderstand, those games have good controls. What you do with them are weird and looks broken in some cases, but the controls for these are actually pretty good for the most part. They have to be to really "sell" the game.
    The entire point of those games is the poor controls.

21. - Top - End - #21

The entire point of those games is the poor controls.
    Except if those controls where ACTUALLY bad, they'd be hated. Goat Simulator rides a fine line between "actually bad" and "intentionally designed to feel bad in a funny when while actually being good". I Am Bread is legitimately good controls, given what it's doing with it's gameplay (as in actually having gameplay, whereas Goat Simulator is more of a score attack styled thing).

22. - Top - End - #22

Except if those controls where ACTUALLY bad, they'd be hated. Goat Simulator rides a fine line between "actually bad" and "intentionally designed to feel bad in a funny when while actually being good". I Am Bread is legitimately good controls, given what it's doing with it's gameplay (as in actually having gameplay, whereas Goat Simulator is more of a score attack styled thing).
    Try to excuse it all you like, but the fact is that games like that (including Surgeon Simulator) have intentionally bad controls, and that's part of the appeal of them. The point is that the idea of "controls shouldn't be bad" is not universal, some games make bad controls their shtick, turn it into their appeal.

I'm not saying that this in any way applies to the RWBY game, only that it's definitely not universal.

23. - Top - End - #23

Try to excuse it all you like, but the fact is that games like that (including Surgeon Simulator) have intentionally bad controls, and that's part of the appeal of them. The point is that the idea of "controls shouldn't be bad" is not universal, some games make bad controls their shtick, turn it into their appeal.

I'm not saying that this in any way applies to the RWBY game, only that it's definitely not universal.
    You're not wrong, but it's a fine line between "actually bad" and "intentionally bad in a fun way" and it's a hard dang line.

24. - Top - End - #24
    Titan in the Playground

Here: .
    Allow me to explain.

Megaman was one of the biggest successes in the side-scrolling platform genre because of the tight controls. It didn't feel 'cheap' like Castlevania's did (although that was done intentionally, and level design was pure genius from a particularly sadistic viewpoint). Megaman basically did two things: jump, and shoot. But, because of interesting level design and good controls, that was all it needed to make a hit.

Beat-em-ups have the same basic things. They do two things: they move, and they attack things. To make this work, you need tight controls, and with a 3d environment like this one, you need to have a targeting system which works consistently. Which this one's doesn't.
    Spoiler
    Show

25. - Top - End - #25

It's time to finish up the cat ninja time.

RWBY Tuesday: RWBY Grimm Eclipse [4] Dead Ninja Cat

Video Length: 27:03

This time we get through the last two levels of the campaign! I really don't have much to say because most of my vitriol about the game's awful, awful mechanics was sort of condensed in the last part, but this episode also has some pretty awful things to talk about so lets get going with that shall we?

So, before I go all "your favorite anime's video game is baaaad" on you, lets talk about something this game does that's actually good, and needs to be done more. The first stage in this episode, if you die it changes the level around! Sometimes you go into one area with a bunch of wolves, sometimes you go into an area with some spinhogs, lizards, and a bear. It's neat and I wish the game had more alternate paths in it because that'd make it a lot more interesting to actually play. Additionally something they could do is force the party to split so that people have to tackle stuff solo. That'd be pretty cool I think!

Anyway, death. Thankfully at some point between now and when I got this they did an unstated patch that made checkpoints be a thing, so now if you die you don't have to restart the ENTIRE STAGE. Which is thankful given that many of my deaths feel pretty crap. The first two aren't SUPER bad, though the latter of the two does feel a little "and then the enemy gets to use it's super special homing melee attack to hit me from like 10 feet away and I died for no reason because it's impossible to tell how close you are from death in this game". In the stupid bloody payload segment though, THEN things get crappy. I've frame by framed every one of those deaths and every single one was completely unavoidable through no part on my own, with absolutely NO indication of why I died IMMEDIATELY. I've even take the liberty to slow that **** down so you can all see for yourselves how trash this actually is. This is inexcusable. No game should cheap shot you so quick and so obtusely. Since the game has no actual HP bar it's basically impossible to gauge what will and won't kill you, and it leads to cases like THIS where your aura gets broken and literally the next frame is you dying despite NOTHING HAVING HIT YOU!

Whatever. We unlocked Blake's two passives because I'm the best in town. Her two passives are, as I've said, very good. I'll be talking about the passives and stuff of other characters in a future video I'm just explaining Blake's now because I feel it's appropriate to talk about them in short here before really delving into it. Basically my plan is to unlock everything and then do videos dedicated to showing off the abilities and passives of every single character where I just dive in and analyze the character indepthly.

So, Blake's passives. One of them makes it so that the last hit of her ground and air combo hits twice, dealing extra damage and building her special gauge up. Seeing as how Blake's basic GtA combo does not gain her enough hits to get a chunk of SP this is basically vital. Her second passive makes it so that random dead enemies recharge her SP. I don't know if it means recharge it FULLY or just give a chunk of SP, but regardless this is actually pretty good. I'm not super keen on it since it's random and trusting dice roles is risky in games like this, and I wish they'd give us an exact percentage number so we could judge it better, but I think at the end of the day, given how many gribblies you fight in this game, it'll pay for itself.

Now the fun part, deciding who we play next. Battleskirt or Fisticuffs, the choice is yours! Poll is here.

26. - Top - End - #26

And we're back to that thing I do no one cares about but I feel is worth continuing due to missaimed pride.

RWBY Tuesday: RWBY Grimm Eclipse [5] Ice Is Nice

Video Length: 25:39

This time we're playing as Weiss, the imperious ice queen lady. Unlike Ruby, and ESPECIALLY unlike Blake, Weiss doesn't have many problems with the auto aim. She's still GOT problems with it, but it feels like it happens less often with her. Unfortunately, for every good thing there must be a bad thing, and Weiss is no exception. Her ground combo, while strong (stronger then Ruby or Blake's, despite feeling very weak and having next to no range to it) does not go into her air combo like the first two people I played. It also has a sort of stiffness to it, in that if you start attacking in a direction you've gotta commit to that direction 100%. This is not helped with the fact that Weiss's dodge roll (and I use the term roll here loosely) is the WORST IN THE GAME! Animation wise it is just terrible, she just kinda shuffles forward with a glow-y under her. Their is a MASSIVE delay (compared to the other characters) before you can dodge again, and of all the characters so far Weiss has the least amount of points where she can dodge cancel out of her moves (which she REALLY needs to be able to do) and the few moves she CAN dodge cancel out of, it only works like 40% of the time. Her dodge is just true, utter trash, and makes the entire event of "playing as Weiss" completely unfun, at least solo wise.

Moving onto her special moves, since they're...well, a mixed bag. Her AOE is Nova, which just kinda looks boring and dumb but is actually effective despite my early concerns. I'm fairly confident that Nova is actually good (It's apparently the best AOE in the game~) and I've just only used it in mostly bad situations, which led to me thinking it's bad and thus only using it in more bad situations. Her second special, Pierce, is a dashing stab that has Weiss bounce off them into the air, doing a ton of damage in the process. This is her best move, with the only problem being that it's clearly a 1v1 move when this game is 100% not a 1v1 game. The dash attack also feels like the damage box is sliiightly shorter then it should be, leading to a lot of whiffed hits but that's entirely a personal thing, I think. One cool thing about this ability is that you can dodge cancel out of it into an air combo on the enemy you Pierced...assuming the dodge roll decides to work today, which it won't. Additionally you can, at random times, suddenly use Pierce twice in succession really fast. It will never let you do this when you would want to. Finally we have Barrage which is just actually trash. She shoots her gun equivilent a bunch. Woo.

Speaking of which, Weiss's gun is just magical blasts that home in on enemies actually fairly reliably considering this game's hardon for having the worst auto aim in history. They're also decently powerful. Weiss's blast attack (which I've been calling burst attack this entire time, sigh) is a simple Glyph punch that can knock enemies backward. It's actually pretty okay and if the dodge cancelling in this game actually worked you could probably do some mad combos with it.

But yeah that's basically it for this video. Next time, we get to see why status effects in this game (because yes, there are status effects in this game) are trash and garbage! Can't wait!

27. - Top - End - #27

And we're back to that thing I do no one cares about but I feel is worth continuing due to missaimed pride.
    Hey, I care.

28. - Top - End - #28

Hey, I care.
    Well that's nice

I just feel like self depricating myself on this one because I get kinda salty in video.

29. - Top - End - #29
    Barbarian in the Playground

Griffon

The only upgrade I have for it makes the AOE stronger, but on a delayed timer, and it does that thing where it makes the ability cost 2 SP without telling you that it does that. Cool and great.
    Her second passive makes it so that random dead enemies recharge her SP. I don't know if it means recharge it FULLY or just give a chunk of SP, but regardless this is actually pretty good. I'm not super keen on it since it's random and trusting dice roles is risky in games like this, and I wish they'd give us an exact percentage number so we could judge it better, but I think at the end of the day, given how many gribblies you fight in this game, it'll pay for itself.
    Bad controls is one thing, as that takes actual programming and game design and engine building and stuff.

But failing to write accurate tooltips is one of my biggest pet peeves in games. I should *not* have to alt-tab to third party websites every time I level up, simply because you wrote "a chance to" instead of "a 12% chance to" or something. Yeesh.
    Campaign Log (updated May 12, 2016)! http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showt...d-other-tales)

30. - Top - End - #30
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by turbo164 View Post
    Bad controls is one thing, as that takes actual programming and game design and engine building and stuff.

But failing to write accurate tooltips is one of my biggest pet peeves in games. I should *not* have to alt-tab to third party websites every time I level up, simply because you wrote "a chance to" instead of "a 12% chance to" or something. Yeesh.
    New passive idea: add stats to descriptions. Upgrade abilities 50 times to unlock.

Question for Zodi: Given that they'll likely have some problems, are there any other RWBY characters you would like to become playable in later installments, and what do you think their basic style should be?
    Spoiler: Pixel avatar and Raincloud Durkoala were made by me. The others are the work of Cuthalion.
    Show

Cuteness and Magic and Phone Moogles, oh my! Let's Watch Card Captor Sakura!Sadly on a small hiatus.

Durkoala reads a book! It's about VR and the nineties!