New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Pixie in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Default 7 New Divination spells for Wizards (and others)

I made some Divination spells a while ago to widen the diversity the Wizard got for this school. I've included development/balance logic for each. Just looking for feedback/critique.

Forewarn (Wizard, Cleric, Paladin, Bard)
    2nd Level Divination
    Casting Time: 10 Minutes
    Range: Self
    Components: V, S
    Duration: 4 Hours
    You look a few short seconds into the future for duration. You cannot be surprised, attack rolls against you have disadvantage, and you have advantage on initiative rolls. The spell ends once you roll for an initiative.

This one's pretty basic, modeled on foresight, a 9th-level spell. 10 Minute cast time so you can't do it in combat, and only protects you against one surprise/ambush.

Mirror (Wizard, Warlock, Cleric, Paladin, Bard)
    1st Level Divination
    Casting Time: 1 Action
    Range: 20 Feet
    Components: S, M (a shard of a mirror)
    Duration: Concentration, up to 1 Hour
    You create a round silvery mirror that only you and up to 5 other designated creatures can see. You can use it as a normal mirror, for looking around corners or under things, or some other purpose.

I admit this one's kind of a stretch for being divination at all, let alone being more than a cantrip. Not sure what to do with this one, might just scrap it completely.

Detect Truth (Wizard, Cleric, Paladin, Bard) Ritual
    4th Level Divination
    Casting Time: 1 Minute
    Duration: Concentration, up to 20 Minutes
    For the duration, you know if any creature you hear is lying or telling the truth. (A creature telling the truth as it sees it counts as telling the truth, whether what it's saying is technically correct or not.) You must understand the language the creature is speaking to know if it is lying or not.

This one might need to be bumped up to 5th/6th/7th, when compared to Zone of Truth it's a little too much, IMO. It does not, however, physically stop creatures from lying, so maybe not.

Impart Truth (Wizard, Paladin, Warlock, Bard)
    1st Level Divination
    Range: Touch
    Duration: Instant
    You touch a single creature as you speak a single sentence. If you spoke the absolute truth as you see it, the creature is aware that you were not lying.

It's meant to be like the language spoken in the Inheritance series (if you haven't read it yet, check it out, it's pretty neat) in that any creature that hears it inherently knows that it is the truth.

Eagle Eye (Wizard, Druid, Cleric, Bard)
    3rd Level Divination
    Components: V, S, M (a feather from an eagle, hawk, or other bird of prey)
    Duration: 1 Hour
    For the duration, you gain the eyesight of a mighty hunting bird. You can see objects up to 1 mile away as if you were within 5 feet of them, and you have advantage on Wisdom (Perception) checks, as well as passive Wisdom (Perception) checks.

Like the goggles from the DMG, more or less

Share Sight (Wizard, Warlock, Cleric, Bard)
    Divination Cantrip
    Duration: Until Released
    For as long as you remain in physical contact with a willing creature, that creature can see everything you see (including darkvision, truesight, and some types of blindsight, as well as sight from magical sensors such as an arcane eye)

Allows you to share various kinds of superior vision

Detect Life (Wizard, Druid, Cleric, Paladin, Warlock, Bard)
    5th Level Divination
    Range: 30 Feet
    Components: V, S, M (a glass lens, such as a pair of eyeglasses or a monocle worth at least 500gp)
    Duration: Concentration, up to 10 Minutes
    For the duration, you can sense the location, size, and type of nearby life-forms (Everything but Constructs and Undead). The spell can penetrate most barriers, but it is blocked by 1 foot of stone, 1 inch of common metal, a thin sheet of lead, or 3 feet of wood or stone.

A more powerful/useful version of detect evil and good at 1st level.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Bugbear in the Playground

DwarfClericGuy

Default Re: 7 New Divination spells for Wizards (and others)

Give mirror something extra as you said. Don't know what
    Forewarn is also kinda weak, you could give it casting time on minute and duration 8 hours. Or that it also works on allies

Nice spells

3. - Top - End - #3
    Pixie in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Almir View Post
    Share Sight (Wizard, Warlock, Cleric, Bard)
    Divination Cantrip
    Duration: Until Released
    For as long as you remain in physical contact with a willing creature, that creature can see everything you see (including darkvision, truesight, and some types of blindsight, as well as sight from magical sensors such as an arcane eye)
    I would change the text of this to a much simpler, "For as long as you remain in physical contact with a willing creature, that creature can use any special senses you have."

4. - Top - End - #4
    Pixie in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Have the Mirror function as the origin point of one spell or attack during it's duration, you can fire it into the Mirror, which shatters and redirects the attack, using the position of the Mirror as the new origin point of the spell/attack/ability/effect?

5. - Top - End - #5
    Titan in the Playground

As it stands, Mirror looks like an illusion to me.

Detect Truth is alright, but isn't it kind of redundant when you've got Detect Thoughts?

I'd change the 'one sentence' part of Impart Truth to 'a message of 25 words or fewer' like Sending (also, this is probably closer to an enchantment or evocation than divination). And maybe change the duration to 1 minute? You can't speak a sentence instantaneously. I think it's okay at first level though.

Eagle Eye and Share Sight are good.

Is Detect Life really worth 5th level? I'd probably say 4th at the most, maybe lower.
    Last edited by Ninja_Prawn; 2016-12-11 at 05:03 AM.
    Lydia Seaspray by Oneris!

Spoiler: Acclaim
    Show
    Winner of Spellbrew Contest I & Subclass Contest II
    Quote Originally Posted by JNAProductions View Post
    That is the perfect ending. Thread done, Ninja_Prawn won.
    Quote Originally Posted by KorvinStarmast View Post
    We love our ninja prawn.
    Quote Originally Posted by Professor Gnoll View Post
    NinjaPrawn, you are my favourite.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sir cryosin View Post
    Ninja you're like the forum's fairy godmother.
    Quote Originally Posted by ThinkMinty View Post
    This is why you're the best, Ninja Prawn.

A Faerie Affair

Homebrew: Sig