New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Dwarf in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Question Spell Fusion Ideas

I am working on a game as a hobby. I intend for it to be a turn based strategy game, but if you scale down the battlefield sizes and number of participants the current design ideas would also work well as a trpg or miniatures wargame. There is a large class tree of martial characters, which aside from needing to fiddle with stat growth numbers, is mostly completed, and a few distinct casting classes, whose customization comes from the spells they learn. One of the key features of the game is using the terrain and altering it to suit your needs, through the use of magic and engineering.

The thing is though, I don't really have too many spell ideas to make the casters feel like they have a lot of choice. There are 10 schools of magic, Fire, Water, Wind, Earth, Light, Dark, Metal, Wood, Void (or Non-elemental), and Ice. Each school has 10 levels of spells, each level having 3 spells available, at least that is the plan. Additionally, most spells if cast simultaneously with one of similar level from a different school fuse into one of the subschool spells. This is where my question lies.

I was wondering if any of you had any suggestions for spell fusions? I of course came up with a few concepts of my own, Fire+Earth making an explosive spell, Water+Wind making a fog over an area to reduce visibility and accuracy, Metal+Earth to create a bunker where units can heal and hide from ranged attacks. I just would appreciate any suggestions, even if I don't end up using them they could spark some inspiration in me.

Thank you in advance if you have any, and thank you for reading even if you don't.
    I don't think I need the padding anymore, posts seem generally longer now.
    Yolo. The uneducated brother of Carpe Diem.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Troll in the Playground

RogueGuy

Default Re: Spell Fusion Ideas

It sounds like you should rob spheres of power.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Banned

Default Re: Spell Fusion Ideas

A possible suggestion is that you could have each element contribute something to the spell, for example:

Element Target Effect Special
    Fire A 20 foot radius area Takes a lot of damage And is set on fire
    Water 4 5 foot radius areas Take some damage and are knocked down And is slowed
    Wind A 120 foot line Is thrown to the end of the area and takes damage And drops something
    Earth A 40 foot radius area centred on you (but excluding you) Takes a little damage and is stunned And is knocked back and down.
    Light A 10 foot radius area excluding your allies Takes a little damage and is blinded And is illuminated
    Dark One creature, twice Takes a fair amount of damage and is poisoned And gets a penalty to attacks
    Metal One object, twice Takes a fair amount of damage ignoring resistance And gets a penalty to defence
    Wood Two creatures Takes a little damage and is rooted And is entangled
    Void Each creature next to you and/or a target ally Takes some untyped damage And is confused
    Ice A 30 foot radius area centred on you, excluding your allies Is frozen And is slipped

So a fire, air and earth spell could deal a lot of damage in a 120 foot line and knock creatures back and down, or deal a little damage and stun creatures in a 20 foot radius, making them drop something. For example.