New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Retired Mod in the Playground Retired Moderator

Default Music for Your Games

Going to be DMing my first in-person campaign, and I'd like to use music to help establish mood and such. Now, in addition to finding content, I'm stuck with how to actually play the music. What have you, fellow DMs, used to play music at your sessions and have found worked well (ie no adds, you can get to the music you want quickly and easily without a whole lot of typing and searching)?

2. - Top - End - #2
    Orc in the Playground

Default Re: Music for Your Games

I just... have playlists on my computer, honestly. It's the only thing I've found that I can make sure has no distracting words, mood appropriate music, and is just all around completely under my control.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Halfling in the Playground

Lizardfolk

There's also a handful of programs specifically designed for gaming music. Try Syrinscape you can download and try a few free soundsets before paying a cent.

https://syrinscape.com/

4. - Top - End - #4
    Orc in the Playground

GreataxeFighterGuy

Just an iPod or computer works fine, just make a playlist and set it down. Pandora's good if you want to play songs from movies or video games- you just type in Howard Shore or John Williams and you can find some great orchestral scores. Anything fantasy-related has gotta have some Led Zeppelin! Over the Hills and Far Away, Ramble On, Misty Mountain Hop, Kashmir... all are great if you want to set the tone for an adventure with a little rock.
    Last edited by Sam113097; 2016-02-17 at 01:29 AM.
    Currently worldbuilding Port Demesne: A Safe Harbor in a Shattered World! If you have a moment, I would love your feedback!

5. - Top - End - #5
    Troll in the Playground

Try softrope - it allows you to mix your own soundscapes and allows quite easy switching between tracks with a click and offers some neat things. It's downside is that it doesn't allow copying of content and is set to fixed file locations.

The disadvantage - it comes with zero content, so you have to build your own scenes/library.

I would also recommend finding ambient/ambiance music.
    Call me Laco or Ladislav (if you need to be formal). Avatar comes from the talented linklele.
    Formerly GMing: Riddle of Steel: Soldiers of Fortune

Quote Originally Posted by Kol Korran View Post
    Instead of having an adventure, from which a cool unexpected story may rise, you had a story, with an adventure built and designed to enable the story, but also ensure (or close to ensure) it happens.