New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 9 of 13 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #241
    Ettin in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Default Re: The Day the Daevan Stood Still [IC]

"Former?" Daevan asks, examining the....thing as he speaks. "What did you do to him?"
    Kitten: *bats around a mini a few times*
    DM: "Ok, it looks like Fluffy...err, 'The Tarrasque'...Full Attacks the Cleric"
    Cleric: "Full attack my a**, that was just two claw attacks!"
    Kitten: *starts gnawing on the mini*
    Cleric: "...nevermind."

2. - Top - End - #242
    Colossus in the Playground

"Replaced him here, specifically to tutor you," comes the telepathic reply.
    Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    11APR2024: Completed reading Paizo's Pathfinder Campaign Setting: Demons Revisited (2013, Jacobs).
    28JAN2024: Completed reading TPK Games' The Deductionist (2013, Everhart). This source is authorized for playtest.
    Spoiler: Player Status
    Show
    bcool999: On hiatus through 17APR2024.

3. - Top - End - #243
    Ettin in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

"Why would you want to tutor me? What reasoning would you have for that?"

4. - Top - End - #244

Telepathy: "I have experience, knowledge, and power as a true goetic spiritualist. You could have come close with Grandfather Philby, but you never could have actualized the secrets to learn from books and a nagging vestige alone. I want to know that the secrets of the horrors I have uncovered do not go when I am gone, and these are things that cannot be amply understood simply from books. Just like with any sentient creature, I desire a legacy; but instead of children, I seek a disciple who is capable."
    11APR2024: Completed reading Paizo's Pathfinder Campaign Setting: Demons Revisited (2013, Jacobs).
    28JAN2024: Completed reading TPK Games' The Deductionist (2013, Everhart). This source is authorized for playtest.
    Show

5. - Top - End - #245
    Ettin in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

"Then answer me one last question. What did you do with Master Philby?"

6. - Top - End - #246

Telepathy: "Grandfather Philby was no longer able to maintain his position in hidden retirement and self-imposed exile. His research sought too much aid that let too many know of his whereabouts. There is a new grandfather now, but that new one has allowed me to keep Philby's mouldering library here and the new Grandfather has gone home to Katheer to actually run things rather than hide in the hopes of old age."
    Last edited by lostsole31; 2017-05-02 at 04:14 AM.
    Show

7. - Top - End - #247

"Do you have the courage to truly look into the places where most minds fear to go?"
    Show

8. - Top - End - #248
    Ettin in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

"Of course I do. I have nothing to fear at this point."

9. - Top - End - #249

And so begins a much more mentally torturous affair than Daevan had expected as he apprentices himself to the far more mercurial Master Shakti. The first part of the day he sees where you are with very basic psychic meditations.

"Awful. You have psychic power through your knowledge of binding vestiges," he scolds, "but you never realized that this was psychic power that allowed you to do this - not magical willpower like a sorcerer. I wouldn't doubt at some point you trained as some type of sorcerer or summoner."

That afternoon, he will show you how you - here and now with no dithering about - can use the science of "phrenology" to learn more about a person (living or dead) merely by the shape of their skull. Of course, he has skulls for you to sense for this very purpose.

You go to work that night rather mentally fried from your exertions.

Starday, 12 Gozran 4708 AR

Today, Master Shakti brings in animals that he cuts so that they are bleeding out, and uses magic so that they don't die. "You hold the power over life and death, not just simple bonds of obedience from spirits and horrors. You traffick with powers, and yet your day to day is steal dealing with mortals. Saving someone's life is a means to ensuring a measure of loyalty or gratitude you can call on later."

In the afternoon, continuing on the subjects you should "already know" he shows you how to tap into the knowledge of the beings you store within yourself for insight to questions that may plague you. In this regard, he shows you the tricks to automatic writing. "The hand knows things the mind might not."

He is unimpressed if you mention that the next day is normally a "day of rest." "Having a job and mortal concerns is your personal concern. I am tutoring you, not coddling you. Yes, go to your morning meeting you just mentioned, but then come here for instruction. Mere mortals dabble in entertainments and recreations; your business may be that, but you are no mere mortal yourself, are you? Else what am I wasting time with you for?"

Sunday, 13 Gozran 4708 AR
    It seems like it was a fine week for the Goblin, and profits have increased, so much so that there is the biggest pay increase yet for the "core partners" of 25 gp (23.5 gp after everyone kicks in their share for Seltyiel's many alchemical additions).

You collect your winnings and it's off to Master Shakti's place. He SHOWS you an example of the Horror simply referred to categorically as "Psychokinesis." Daevan is well and truly terrified, for this is not like simply reading from a book. Master Shakti goes over the process of how to call "PK" to you and how to use your innate psychic power to bind it to your will. Facing a horror is nothing like a spirit, for a Horror is well and truly Real in this world, not just as extensions and signs of a binder. He releases you to get rest since you did awake early today, but also to allow your mind to cool after facing your first Horror.

It was enlivening, Daevan might think as he faces the night with his thoughts. And yet, though he doesn't work tonight, he observes the people scurrying around to win their precious little pieces of shiny metal in ridiculous games. Daevan catches himself realizing that for far more than just how he looks, he is truly different from them. It is a disquieting thought, for he recognizes that he might be drifting further and further from his humanity, so far hidden under this bestial form.

Tomorrow. Tomorrow to feel better, you shall bind Ubro.
    Show

10. - Top - End - #250

Moonday, 14 Gozran 4708 AR

In the morning early hours (~ 0500), Daevan is awoken to a sound of screeching metal. Running outside - for it comes from outside, people are in nightrobes in the street, or are just setting up their early morning chores outside, or looking out shutters with bleary eyes. In the haze of dawn, it is noted by many that all of the weather vanes in town are pointing towards the Blot, even resisting the currents of the wind. After 10 minutes or so (during which several vanes are snapped off by cross winds to tumble to the street below), they are released from whatever holds them and return to normal.

You had only been asleep for a few hours, and you have no explanation, so you get sleep. In the morning, as much as to test the fact that you really have learned Ubro as to hopefully gain some sense of a spiritual balm, Daevan binds Ubro - but only for this one day to start. It is a good pact, though not a capstone one.

Again, Master Shakti forces Daevan to confront Psychokinesis, but this time less the telekinetic form so much as Master Shakti bringing forth various terrible elemental forms - each one more destructive than the last. And in this late morning and early afternoon, you learn the psychic avenues of meditation to bind this Horror (or one day hope to). Master Shakti chose to terrify you with the most physically (meaning physically real, so includes energy) real aspect, and only in the afternoon does he build on the actual concept of splicing and unsplicing horrors.

Sure enough, evening at work is abuzz with new conspiracy/terror theories concerning the Blot and what might have happened with the weather vanes in the early morning, but nothing really sensible enough.

Toilday, 15 Gozran 4708 AR

Master Shakti has you researching the gaze powers of hags, malefactors, and witches. You don't know why, but you know he must have a reason and so late morning is spent in that research. In the afternoon, to really throw your noodle, there is no psychic research at all. This time he telepathically tutors you to use your lanky, unnatural form to be nigh-invisible by understanding form, silhouette, and pure verve and balance for infiltration and stealth.

Wealday, 16 Gozran 4708 AR
    Daevan is only going to have a partial day with Master Shakti, so he gets roped into doing calisthenics with everyone, as led by Dirk. Your afternoon session is undergoing basic telepathy training with Master Shakti.

Oathday, 17 Gozran 4708 AR
    Daevan, who are you going to bind this morning, and for how many days? Please make the appropriate roll.
    Show

11. - Top - End - #251
    Ettin in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

As his preferred secondary spirit, Daevan chooses to bind Lady Jarah today, for three days.

Binding roll (1d20+9)[24] vs DC 19

12. - Top - End - #252

Today, Master Shakti is busy. That's okay, as Samaritha has her own business and you can finally get some time with Dirk. He will spend time teaching you various infiltration techniques as the two of you kick it around town. For your part, you show him how he can be more intimidating. During that time, her does mention with mixed emotions that Samaritha, through his tutoring, been accepted to the Cypher Lodge as a cyphermage-in-training.

In the evening when you report to work, Vancaskerkin had received word that a shipment of exotic liquor has arrived at the docks, destined for the Gold Goblin. Saul placed the order many months ago, hoping it would arrive in time for the Cheat the Devil tournament, but the shipment was delayed by several storms. It currently awaits offloading aboard the Foamrunner, which has docked at the wharves and waits for pickup. Saul tasks Devil-Dave (and Sajan and Lini) with coordinating the transport of the four casks of exotic liquor from the docks to the Gold Goblin -- you're welcome to up to four of the Gold Goblin's six bouncers for protection and labor. Saul urges DD and his fellows to hurry, since once word gets out that the rare liquor is in port, he wouldn't put it past several of the city's other crimelords, or even the Overlord himself, from attempting to claim the shipment for their own use.

DD, Lini (with two snow leopards), Sajan, and four bouncers with a wagon and two mules head towards the docks as directed. There are several stevedores standing around, waiting for this evening job. The Foamrunner itself doesn't have too many sailors despite the size of the ship. (Lini figures that since stevedores are present, most of the crew is getting drunk at the nearby Coral's Reef Tavern.) The captain greets the motley crew, nervous with obvious mix of fear and disdain at Devil-Dave. It is a dwarf by the name of Captain Fizgabon. Just as you show up and mention who you are (and he seems to be expecting you, anyway, a smaller wagon shows with three men.

A very burly man - very well-armed and armored, yells up. "Oy! Cap'n Fizgabon! I got 200 gp here to take your liquor shipment off your hands. The rest of you ugly lot" ... (here you assume he means all of Saul's men, including yourself) ... "clear out. I'm Braddikar Faje, and you don't want no trouble else I'm ready to give it you!"

DD, you've heard of him. He's called "Old Korvosa," but never to his face. He still wears his Korvosan Guard-issued military wear, but it is known he was kicked out of the military for criminal activity. You're not sure where Korvosa is, though.

What do you do?
    Show

13. - Top - End - #253

"We represent the one who made the proper order for this shipment!" pipes up Lini's voice. "If you don't want trouble, you better scram. We got Devil-Dave here, I got two snow leopards and druid magic, and Sajan will consider all of you a light workout!"

As if to try (weakly) to prove her point, Sajan punches his fist into his hand a few times while one of the snow leopards gives a threatening growl. As wonderful a job as the two of them do, it just is weak sauce when coming out of the mouth of a little gnome female.

"Oh, really," Faje spits disparagingly.

Captain Fizgabon shouts in terror, "Clear the deck!" as he and his remaining sailors get belowdecks out of sight. Meanwhile, the stevedores beat a retreat down the pier away from what's coming.

Begin Round One ...

R1T24-23:
    Both snow leopards' hackles raise as they sense the violence about to ensue.

R1T18: One of the goons doesn't even wait for Faje to give an order. He rushes one of the bouncers (they are still on the pier below) while drawing his short sword, stabbing him in the left shoulder for 5. (Just so you know, that is a grievous wound to this man.)

R1T17: Bouncer 1 (who just got stabbed) takes out his own short sword to join battle, taking advantage of the fact his opponent charged him to return a thrust to the aggressor's gut for 9 ... disabling him!

R1T16: Sajan moves down to engage, drawing his temple sword as he goes right up to Faje on a double-move.

R1T15: Devil-Dave, it would take a double-move to get off the ship, down the gangplank (aka, brow), and up to an opponent. Braddikar Faje is accompanied by two thugs. There is no means by which to charge. What do you do?
    Show

14. - Top - End - #254
    Ettin in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Daevan will move into the fray, taking just a moment to call upon the Tall Man's power to protect him.

Spoiler
    Show
    Swift action: Activate Spatial Bleeding
    Move action x2: Double Move into melee

15. - Top - End - #255

R1T15: Daevan moves into the fray, taking just a moment to call upon the Tall Man's power to protect him. He ends up standing right next to Braddikar Faje himself ...
    Spoiler: Braddikar Faje (Visual)
    Show

R1T13: "Old Korvosa" is ready to fight Devil-Dave, it seems. "Devil-Dave," he spits. "I heard of you. I will smite your vile presence from this city with the power of my sword." He gives a really clumsy attack that DD easily dodges. It seems he over-committed his strength to the attack.

R1T12-11.8: Lini orders her snow leopards to attack. She casts shield on herself and moves down the gangplank. Both snow leopards race past her. Droogami gets up to Faje, while the leopard with the strange rune on its forehead (matched by one by Lini) goes for the wounded thug.

R1T11-8: A bouncer moves in and stabs the unattended thug in the side of the gut for 2. Another moves in but is blocked.

R1T2: That same thug lashes out at the one that wounded him to stab far more deeply in his stomach for 7.

R1T1: The final bouncer moves behind to flank that thug to stab him from behind for 7, disabling him.

End Round One, Begin Round 2 ...

R2T18:
    The first thug bonks himself in the head with his pommel, stunning himself ... and then he falls over as he begins bleeding out.

R2T17: Bouncer #1 pulls back, wounded as he is.

R2T16: Sajan is going to try and end this fight more quickly as he acrobatically moves behind Faje. Here's where his plan falls apart with a terrible attack.

R2T15: Devil-Dave, you are flanking with Sajan. What do you do?

Faje on deck, Lini in the hole ...
    Show

16. - Top - End - #256
    Ettin in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Devil-Dave smiles and responds to the man who had attacked him. "Better creatures than you have tried and failed. I see no reason to believe that you shall succeed where death himself failed to claim me." He then thrusts forward with his claws, striking first to weaken the foe before aiming to drop him entirely.

Spoiler
    Show
    Full Attack with Claws

Claw 1 (1d20+3)[10] (Taking a -4 penalty for nonlethal damage)
    Damage (1d6+6)[8] Nonlethal damage

Claw 2 (1d20+7)[12] (If the first attack failed, subtract 4 to make this attack Nonlethal instead)
    Damage (1d6+6)[12]

17. - Top - End - #257

R2T15: Devil-Dave smiles and responds to the man who had attacked him. "Better creatures than you have tried and failed. I see no reason to believe that you shall succeed where death himself failed to claim me." He then thrusts forward with his claws, striking first to weaken the foe before aiming to drop him entirely, but Faje blocks both attacks with sword and shield.

R2T13: Braddikar wastes time mocking DD before launching a counter-attack with his full strength. The attack barely catches DD across the chest, and for all of his power Faje only does 1 mod. He stops his mocking.

R2T12-11.8: Lini takes out her sickle and cuts deep along the remaining thug's back calf, dropping him. Droogami catches Faje with a claw for 2. The other snow leopard savages the thug Lini dropped and she has to tell it to stop attacking.

R2T11-1: The bouncers back off ...

End Round 2, Begin Round 3 ...

R3T16:
    Sajan steps around to the back of Faje, but his fist is blocked by his target's shield.

R3T15: DD, what do you do?

Faje on deck, Lini in the hole ...
    Show

18. - Top - End - #258
    Ettin in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Daevan laughs and launches another pair of attacks into the man, this time going more for a killing blow.

Spoiler
    Show
    Claw 1 (1d20+7)[24]
    Damage (1d6+6)[10]

Claw 2 (1d20+7)[16]
    Damage (1d6+6)[10]

19. - Top - End - #259

R3T15: Daevan laughs and launches another pair of attacks into the man, this time going more for a killing blow. His first claw cuts well into Faje for 10, but the second claw gets blocked by the man's armor.

R3T13: Faje adjusts his attack vector towards Sajan this time with full power, but misses.

R3T12-11.8: Lini casts a spell to spit a bit of acid at Faje, succeeding mildly for 1 acid. Droogami nibbles on the man for 2, but one of the snow leopard's claws actually crits his swordhand for 10. To the warrior's credit, he maintains the grip on his sword. The other leopard claws him for 3.

R3T11-1: The bouncers all delay ...

End Round 3, Begin Round 4 ...

R3T16:
    Sajan seems to be fully aware of what is going on now and gets to flanking with DD against the surrounded man. He flurries, and his second attack with his temple sword hits Faje across the back for 12 (max).

R3T15: DD, what do you do?

Faje on deck, Lini (& kitties) in the hole ...
    Show

20. - Top - End - #260
    Ettin in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Devil-Dave strikes out again, knowing full well that his attacks have been making an impact, he aims to take down the leader as fast as possible now.

Spoiler
    Show
    Attack 1 (1d20+7)[22]
    Damage (1d6+6)[12]

Attack 2 (1d20+7)[24]
    Damage (1d6+6)[8]

If one claw knocks him down, Daevan will restrain from using the other one

21. - Top - End - #261

R3T15: Devil-Dave strikes out again, knowing full well that his attacks have been making an impact, he aims to take down the leader as fast as possible now. His first claw strikes true and drops the man.

Lini and Sajan can immediately tend to the fallen.
    Show

22. - Top - End - #262
    Ettin in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Daevan kicks the man's unconscious body softly. "Do we have any rope? Wouldn't want him to cause us any more trouble when he comes to."

23. - Top - End - #263

Sajan says, "There's rope all around us, but it isn't ours. I say we make sure they're stable, then leave them to their fates while we continue the delivery."
    Show

24. - Top - End - #264
    Ettin in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

"Fair enough" Daevan relents and backs away, allowing Sajan and Lini to help the fallen, and meanwhile checks on the captain and others, assuring them that it is safe to come out so we can get back to our business.

25. - Top - End - #265

Faje and the others are tied up.

None of the Gold Goblin's bouncers were killed (though some are heavily wounded, and the mission is a success as the liquor is delivered to the Gold Goblin! It's going to be a profitable week.

You still have hours to put in for the evening, and as you head to bed, you hear a faint dinging above the heads of Lini and Sajan.
    Show

26. - Top - End - #266

Fireday, 18 Gozran 4708 AR

The next late morning, Dirk will find out from Saul Vancaskerkin that for personal reasons "Devil-Dave" checked out, selling his stake in the Gold Goblin Gambling Hall.
    Show

27. - Top - End - #267
    Ogre in the Playground

Meanwhile, the Refugee from Brastlewark and Ravengro goes to see his correspondence contact at some place called the "Cypher Lodge." Hopefully there they'll point me in the best direction for lodging.
    Current Games
    Curse of the Crimson Throne: Dušana Essert(Zeta), & Fathi (Phi) and Hülya (Eta) Sharif of House al-Din
    Legacy of Fire: Water Prince Rafiq Karim
    Rise of the Runelords: Keghart Valdemar & Valbard the Velociraptor
    Savage Tide: Rabbi Eliezer "Lazer" Whuraili Cohen ben Mordechai of Clan Ironoath of Oriadeth
    Serpent's Skull: Harsk! (yes, that one)
    Shattered Star: Lilim
    Strange Aeons: Dorn

28. - Top - End - #268

Come mid-morning, Dirk will actually work with Devil-Dave, Lini, and Sajan on being alert against ambushes.

In the afternoon, Dirk goes over agility training with Sajan, Devil-Dave picks up an extra shift as a bouncer, and Lini is in her room.

The evening is uneventful when Sol returns for work.
    Show

29. - Top - End - #269

Starday, 19 Gozran 4708 AR (Full Moon, First Day)

Sol will be off to the Cypherlodge today. Lini and Sajan will be undergoing arcane study with Dirk. During his meditations, the Tall Man will clue in Daevan how he was able to protect himself as a mortal - to seem protected against the futility of men's weapons while drawing energy from the universe himself. It involves tapping into the ethereal plane and gathering ectoplasm within and without oneself for protection, enhancement, and strange powers.

Nothing exciting happens that evening at work, though the full moon does tend to bring out the loonies more.
    Show

30. - Top - End - #270

Sunday, 20 Gozran 4708 AR (Full Moon of Gozran, called the "Flood Moon")

It's a good week for everyone, who do as well as can be at their tasks .... except for Lini. The little known seems to be angry with the customers, making for a terrible greeter; and something is distracting her, so she's not a great spotter, either. Still, the group did great overall, with one of the new bang-up examples actually being Sajan. While still doing menial labor. he has gotten over his initial problem telling stories of his homeland and training and is doing a decent job now. The best part, of course, is that with the Foamrunner's rescued items, that really helps to draw the crowd, and the Gold Goblin is still doing well as Saul is able to continue paying partners 23.5 gp.

During the week, Devil-Dave has been dealing with gum issues, but later in the day, he sees why .... teeth burst forth from the gums, which Lini has to tend to for Daevan. Over the next few days, his increased lingual and palatal canines increase, and he now has a bite attack! As such, Daevan gets bed rest for the day with Lini as his physician.

Because the Gold Goblin is doing so well, and to give Seltyiel more time with management duties, the newcomer has been hired on as one of the partners, after an interview held by Saul (and also Seltyiel and Dirk). It seems is a dedicated alchemist, so he will take over crafting duties from Setlyiel.
    Last edited by lostsole31; 2019-02-10 at 03:45 AM. Reason: Partners, not Pirates, Dammit!
    Show