New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more

Thread: nWOD vs. oWOD

1. - Top - End - #1
    Ogre in the Playground

Default nWOD vs. oWOD

I'm thinking of buying WOD an wondering, which is better old or new? anyway any help is apreceiated(sp)

and if I don't get any repliese I'll just buy CoC
    Spoiler
    Show

played the Space Pope in Total War 2125
    ..and the Papal States of Luna in Total War 2260

Playing
    The Gears Chosen in Total Way: Broken City

The Spindleshanks Crusade in Total War: 40K

Dragon Avatar by Serp

Darkness Fell, and with it Light

2. - Top - End - #2
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: nWOD vs. oWOD

I personally like oWoD better, though nWoD is a more unified system and easier on those new to the game, it is also more balanced in between the different kinds of players (a novice werewolf would tear a vampire elder apart in oWoD, but alas this beauty is no more)
    ٩๏̯͡๏
    New found land. It's like Untitled Document, for places - Flickerdart

3. - Top - End - #3
    Titan in the Playground

Depends, really.

nWOD has a better ruleset - it is more polished and consistent, and does crossovers better. Note btw that oWOD spans three editions and several subsystems, and the more recent ones are also pretty good in this aspect. It is a matter of taste whether or not this is important.
    oWOD is said by many fans to have the better atmosphere, especially wrt vampires and mages. This, too, is a matter of taste.

It's really apples and oranges. For instance, oWOD vampires grow stronger with age, play centuries-lasting political games, and tend to be influenced by hidden forces way older than them. nWOD vampires grow stronger through blood and weaken down after centuries (or so I'm told, I haven't played it).

oWOD mages are fighting a losing battle to change the way the world thinks, because belief equals reality. nWOD mages are simply spellcasters with no meta-reality effects.

Also, oWOD has Demon, Mummy, Changeling, Hunter and Wraith; nWOD has Prometheus. Matter of taste really. nWOD is probably easier to get these days.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Barbarian in the Playground

I vastly prefer oWoD, especially in terms of setting. The system for nWoD has some good points (i.e. streamlining, equipment rules), but there are also elements that strike me as problematic (for starters, the starting power level of most PCs) and honestly, I feel like nWoD lost the richness and vitality of atmosphere that made oWoD interesting. The oWoD stuff may be a little more of a challenge to find, but as someone who's played in the setting for years, I can tell you it's well worth the effort.
    Spoiler
    Show

Zöe Althira in When On Olympus
    Ratri Aeval in Double Major
    Mercedes Swift, Scion of Hermes, in ???
    Haiiro Mariko in The Scarlet Shadow
    Kris "Krash" Ashton in Colony
    Karen Mallory in Changing Breeds

Spoiler
    Show

5. - Top - End - #5
    Ogre in the Playground

PirateCaptain

Quote Originally Posted by Jannex View Post
    I vastly prefer oWoD, especially in terms of setting. The system for nWoD has some good points (i.e. streamlining, equipment rules), but there are also elements that strike me as problematic (for starters, the starting power level of most PCs) and honestly, I feel like nWoD lost the richness and vitality of atmosphere that made oWoD interesting. The oWoD stuff may be a little more of a challenge to find, but as someone who's played in the setting for years, I can tell you it's well worth the effort.
    Took the words right out of my mouth.
    Well except for the good points...

6. - Top - End - #6
    Bugbear in the Playground

You can find nearly every oWoD book on Alibris.com or Dragonstrove.com and generally for a good price. I just ordered 6 of the books I missed in their original runs.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sayn
    You know, I'm beginning to realize that when I chose to go from being a player to being the GM, I essentially went from being a mere leader of some nation to being God. And it feels good.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jade_Tarem View Post
    It's been said that a good backstory is like a skirt - it should be long enough to cover everything that needs to be covered, but short enough that it can keep someone's interest. This... is basically the train of a wedding dress.