New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Help with Two Character Ideas

Idea One

Hearing how fun and effective a Rogue 3/Swashbuckler X build with Daring Outlaw from Complete Scoundrel can be, I've decided to give it a try with a Human in a normal game that starts at level 6. A total loss of only 1 BAB and that d10 HD looks pretty tasty. I have two ideas for his style of combat, however:

1. Exotic Weapon Proficiency - Elven Courtblade (Two-handed sword, 1d10 damage, Weapon Finessable, Critical 18-20), Combat Expertise, Improved Feint - In order to improve my sneak attack frequency.
    2. Exotic Weapon Proficiency - Elven Lightblade (Identical to Rapier, but a Light Weapon), Two-Weapon Fighting - To increase my sneak attack damage when the opportunity arises.

Which combat style would be more effective for this build? Either way, my stats will be going into dexterity-intelligence-charisma-constitution-strength-wisdom, in that order.

Idea Two

In a Gestalt game that starts at level six, I want to try a Dwarven Knight//Fighter, with interest in advancing to Dwarven Defender. Which class should I abandon? I'm leaning towards Knight, so I can get that Fighter ability from Complete Champion to sacrifice base will save for a bonus to AC, which works well with the Knight as a tank, and the Will save progressions of both the knight and the Defender. It also means I'm not having redundant d12 hit dice. My stat priority will be constitution-charisma-strength-intelligence-wisdom-dexterity.

A couple of other things to consider for this build:
    1. Would it be too much of a stretch to persuade my DM to accept Improved Toughness (rather than just Toughness) as a DD prerequisite?
    2. What kind of weapon/armor configuration would I go for? Would Waraxe/Shield/Adamantine Fullplate be the best choice?

Thanks for your input.
    "They couldn't know that the points from the mainline to the siding were frozen, and the signal should have been set at 'DANGER', but snow had forced it down."
    - The Flying Kipper

2. - Top - End - #2
    Barbarian in the Playground

Default Re: Help with Two Character Ideas

For Idea One, I'd say go for the Lightblade. As shiny as the Courtblade is (and it is...), with Swashbuckler you'll have a high enough BAB to make TWF, with its -2 to attack, still worthwhile, and 2d6 + sneak-attack-twice is better than 1d10 + sneak-attack-once.

Bear in mind, though, that (if I remember correctly) Swashbuckler gets crap skill points, so be prepared to take that hit as a tradeoff for the increased combat prowess. Honestly, if it were me, I'd play the Rogue//Swashbuckler in the gestalt game you talk about in Idea Two (and thereby keep all the shiny Rogue abilities, and not lose that +1 BAB), and then you wouldn't have to drop a feat on Daring Outlaw (Weapon Finesse at first level!) but that's just me; YMMV.
    Spoiler
    Show

Zöe Althira in When On Olympus
    Ratri Aeval in Double Major
    Mercedes Swift, Scion of Hermes, in ???
    Haiiro Mariko in The Scarlet Shadow
    Kris "Krash" Ashton in Colony
    Karen Mallory in Changing Breeds

Spoiler
    Show