A Monster for Every Season: Summer 2
You can get A Monster for Every Season: Summer 2 now at Gumroad
Page 1 of 46 123456789101126 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Ettin in the Playground

Default Megadungeon C (IC) II

Travelling from far and wide for their own varying reasons, Ezekiel Sunbreaker, Taric Hari, Ria Hellsong, Kiyohide Nakagawa, and Ranthwyl Zyliz have found themselves in the great city of Endeesy. Endeesy can't compare in magnificence, wealth, or amenities to the other capitols of the world (although its population is greater by an order of magnitude than the others, its infrastructure is somewhat lacking). It offers only two things: first, almost anyone can find a way to fit in in this city of misfits; and second, even keeping the king's peace is almost beyond the military's ability, so non-violent offenses (and even some violent offenses) that might be crimes in other nations are overlooked here. So Endeesy, like its predecessor the aptly-named Disreputable City, has naturally become a hub for pirates, smugglers, and adventurers alike.

But Endeesy has even more to offer than even the Disreputable City did in its heyday, for the lands north of the city are peppered with unexplored caves and ruins both ancient and recent, filled with fruits ripe for the plucking by those adventurers brave enough to seek them out.

That's where this party comes in, finding themselves in the grand Adventurer's Guildhall. Barely more than an oversized tavern, really, the draw of the Adventurer's Guild for adventurers is that here one may encounter like-minded adventurers with whom to form a team, and then one may consult the corkboard by the door for a myriad of opportunities. (The draw for everyone else is, of course, that one may post a bounty on the bulletin board and eventually it will be done, if the reward is high enough.) The bartender is a friendly-looking middle-aged half-elf, and other adventurers and hirelings are scattered at the bar and tables.

The contents of the corkboard can be found here.

Bounties may range from the unambiguously good to the rankly evil, offer rewards ranging from piddling to riches beyond your wildest dreams, and mount challenges ranging from child's play to downright unachievable. None of these factors necessarily correlates with any of the others.

Not every location visited necessarily contains anything of value, and things of value may not present themselves obviously. Not all creatures encountered will necessarily pose a challenge appropriate to your power, or even be hostile. Areas cleared of creatures will not necessarily remain cleared for long.

This is an organic world, with many options and correspondingly many risks. How you choose to respond is up to you.

(OOC thread)

2. - Top - End - #2
    Firbolg in the Playground

Default Re: Megadungeon C (IC) II

Ezekiel Sunbreaker

Ezekiel crosses his arms and shakes his head. "Some of these quests pay very little for very great deeds." He turns to the barkeep. "Hello there, sir. I'm new to town. What can you tell me that may be of use?"

Spoiler: OoC
    Show
    Rolls, if necessary.

Diplomacy
    (1d20+6)[26]

Gather Information
    (1d20+2)[18]
    Last edited by LoyalPaladin; 2016-02-24 at 04:03 PM. Reason: Typos
    If purple is evil, bold gray is lawful good.

Extended Signature & Homebrew Signature

Check out my Celestial Compendium!

3. - Top - End - #3
    Ettin in the Playground

Endeesy Adventurer's Guild

The bartender stops cleaning a glass and extends a hand to shake, "New in town, you say? The name's Tom." He pours a glass of cheap ale for Ezekiel, on the house. He seems friendly and helpful enough, even for non-Guild-members. He elaborates, "I'll tell you what I tell everybody: avoid the Cave of Burning for awhile, tough monsters there, and the environment's no joke. The infestation that used to be Doublebridge is a priority for the Crown, but the menace there is contained for now, you might want a few fights under your belts before you take that on. Might want to avoid being out of the city at night altogether, now that I think on it; tough monsters are said to come out then."

A stunted mongrelman sitting at the bar interrupts, "Old wives' tales for scaring newbies! The last wizard I partied with said he'd done a statistical analysis of everything he'd encountered on the roads and said the only difference was fewer sheep at night. He went on at rather some length about it, actually."

Tom shrugs, tops off the mongrelman's drink, and continues, "Just telling it like I've heard it. Anyway, the cold iron mines are pretty well cleared, not a lot worth adventuring for there. I've heard good things about the dwarven catacombs west of Serpent Pass, but the Crown's already paid out a bounty for mapping there. Gladiatorial combat at the Temple of Inglip is always lucrative for skilled warriors."

"And, you know, you might want to cover your, y'know, face in the city, as you're a little bit, ah, visibly dragony? You're safe here in the Guild, but as soon as you step out those doors, any dragonkin's a target for Sir Randolph's bounty."
    Last edited by Malimar; 2016-02-24 at 05:54 PM.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Ogre in the Playground

Ranthwyl Zyliz

A gnome appears seemingly nowhere right next to Ezekiel "Eh, they target my team, they become my slaves. No biggie." The gnome gives a curt nod. "Personal Opinion is that we should get nab some monsters for the gladiatorial pits. Not much of a fighter, myself, but forcing dumb brutes to dance to my song is easy. Though this note is intresting, let's see what it says." The gnome adjusts his puts on his glasses, inspecting the note.

Spoiler: Roll
    Show
    Decipher Script on the Coded Message: (1d20+8)[25]
    Spoiler: Quotes!
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Elricaltovilla View Post
    I always thought understanding Scottish required a fort save vs. Alcohol poisoning.
    Quote Originally Posted by Twelve.five
    Hipsterdin- Smiting Heathens before it was cool.
    Quote Originally Posted by Elricaltovilla
    See, this wouldn't happen if you were a Zweihander Sentinel Warder with Silver Crane. You'd have a 60 ft. fly speed with good maneuverability, DR and glowing pants as early as level 8.

Pink is Neutral Evil, because reasons.

Exalted Monk Avatar by ThePrez1776

5. - Top - End - #5
    Ettin in the Playground

Ranthwyl makes a good start at deciphering the message! He soon concludes it's probably a substitution cipher, each symbol substituting for a Common letter.

Spoiler: Decipher Script Yields Hints
    Show
    Common has a limited number of one- and two-letter words: any one-letter word is probably "a" or "I", and any two-letter word is likely to be "of", "it", "as", "in", "to", "on", "or", or "be".

Ranthwyl concludes that the two-letter words that each repeat like seven times are most likely "it" and "of", which in turn means that the one-letter word that begins the message is probably "a", not "I". That gives you several letters to work with.

The "._." symbol that appears at the end and a couple times in the middle of the message is probably punctuation, a full stop.

If you get a ways into decipherment and encounter the word "FREDAY", be not confused, it is not a typo, it is simply the sixth day of the week.

(Further rolls will not produce further hints.)
    Last edited by Malimar; 2016-02-25 at 11:14 AM. Reason: fixing the hints

6. - Top - End - #6

Ezekiel Sunbreaker

The large paladin nods, tipping the bar tender for his words of advice and making due note of the mongrelman's words. "Thank you both for the advice, I'll make sure to keep it at the front of my mind." He wasn't incredibly dragon like, in comparison to the majority of his kind. But the eyes and hair were a dead give away, not to mention he was... less... than inconspicuous. The half-plate would serve as a decent cover up.

He turned around to his adventuring party. "Well, my friends... what sort of quest do you feel like taking up?" He crosses his arms, awaiting their reply.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Barbarian in the Playground

Ria Hellsong

"I'd like something hands on. So, nabbing some creatures doesn't sound like a bad idea to me. Plus, it sounds doable." Ria rolls her head from side to side, cracking her neck while she thinks. "But I'm open to more suggestions as well."
    Last edited by VirusInk; 2016-02-29 at 04:54 PM.
    I'll be out of town for the next couple weeks!

Swing by and take a look at my DeviantArt!

Icon drawn by no one but myself! Full version can be seen here.

8. - Top - End - #8

Ezekiel Sunbreaker

"That's a three out of five agreence." The paladin nods knowingly. "Unless anyone has something to say otherwise, I say we take up that quest."

9. - Top - End - #9
    Titan in the Playground

Taric says nothing and says nothing.
    Avatar of Rudisplork Avatar of PC-dom and Slayer of the Internet. Extended sig
    GitP Regulars as: Vestiges Spells Weapons Races Deities Feats Soulmelds/Veils
    Quote Originally Posted by Darrin View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Snowbluff View Post
    All gaming systems should be terribly flawed and exploitable if you want everyone to be happy with them. This allows for a wide variety of power levels for games for different levels of players.
    I dub this the Snowbluff Axiom.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Ettin in the Playground

The Omorashi man, who had until now been carefully reading the full contents of the board, finally speaks up. "Decision by majority vote is wise, and I see no reason to not at least pay the arena a visit to see what creatures they're seeking."
    Please use they/them/theirs when referring to me in the third person.
    My Homebrew (PF, 3.5)
    Awesome Bone Knight avatar by Chd.
    Spoiler: Current Characters
    Show
    Cassidy Halloran, Human Scout
    William Gamache, Human Relic Channeler Medium
    Spoiler: Quotes
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by AGrinningCat View Post
    Lay on hands? More like Lay your Eyes on this sick elbow drop!

11. - Top - End - #11

Ezekiel

"Then it is decided!" The paladin announces. "We make for the arena."

12. - Top - End - #12
    Ettin in the Playground

Endeesy Temple of Inglip and Arena Complex

And so the party heads out to the Temple of Inglip and Arena Complex, a few blocks away! It's a large complex, not difficult to find. On the way, they pass many market stalls, a throng of children, and many alleyways containing many big rats.

The complex is in two parts: a large, one-story stone temple, and a large-ish stone amphitheatre or stadium.

Out on the front steps of the temple stands a red-robed priest, ranting to a small crowd about the virtues of Inglip and self-determination and randomness. The sermon doesn't quite entirely hold together as a coherent whole, philosophically, but the small crowd doesn't seem to mind.

Judging from the silence from the arena out back, there doesn't seem to be a gladiatorial combat going on there right now. (Also one wouldn't expect the priests to hold a sermon here at the same time they're putting on a show elsewhere, though knowing Inglip's chaotic ways, that's not guaranteed.)
    Last edited by Malimar; 2016-03-03 at 12:12 PM.

13. - Top - End - #13

Ezekiel

The paladin moves past the sermon, looking for some sort of official looking person near the arena. "Surely a priest wouldn't host a battle." He shook his head.

14. - Top - End - #14
    Ettin in the Playground

The red-robed priests of Inglip are weird people. Inglip's a weird god. He's not a god of battle or anything, but he is a god of anything the whim seizes him to be a god of. Presumably the priests got a message in the tea leaves one day saying HOST GLADIATORS or something, and so they built and arena and have been holding gladiatorial combats as fundraisers ever since. (Never mind that it can't be much of a fundraiser if they don't charge admission and they do pay for creatures and they also dole out reward money, so one would think it would be a money-losing venture; the money must come from somewhere. Maybe they overcharge for popcorn and hot dogs.)

Ezekiel and his companions head around back and head into the bleachers! There's nobody else in the stands right now, but in the center of the arena are several younger red-robed mongrelfolk priests, raking the sand smooth. One of them notices the party and, eager for an excuse to take a break from raking, wanders over, "Can I help you?"

15. - Top - End - #15

Ezekiel

"Ah, yes." Ezekiel approaches them. "We're here to answer a request. It seems you need monsters."

16. - Top - End - #16

Ria Hellsong

Ria chimes in. "Yeah. What kind of monsters we talkin' anyways? Anything specific?"

17. - Top - End - #17
    Ettin in the Playground

The young priest bobs his head, "Oh, yes, we always need fresh monsters! We try to keep them from dying in the arena, but sometimes contestants get carried away. And sometimes monsters get too old and tired to fight so we have to take them out into the countryside and release them.

"Anything ferocious is good. The point is a good show! And we don't want anything too cute, the crowds don't like it when gladiators beat up cute things. Of course, if you find something cute that will be more likely to beat up the gladiators, that's excellent. Giant bugs are always a good choice, for example. Bears, tigers, wild animals, that sort of thing. Nobody intelligent, though; Inglip doesn't approve of slavery."

18. - Top - End - #18
    Ogre in the Playground

Ranthwyl Zyliz

Ranthwyl looks up from his hastily copied version of the note he was working on, pushing up his glasses as he commented, "Sounds easy enough. I'd assume that since this Inglip of yours doesn't approve of slaves, these Gladiators are volunteers? Employees? Whoever they are, they're pretty damn crazy to fight a predator head-on."
    Spoiler: Quotes!
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Elricaltovilla View Post
    I always thought understanding Scottish required a fort save vs. Alcohol poisoning.
    Quote Originally Posted by Twelve.five
    Hipsterdin- Smiting Heathens before it was cool.
    Quote Originally Posted by Elricaltovilla
    See, this wouldn't happen if you were a Zweihander Sentinel Warder with Silver Crane. You'd have a 60 ft. fly speed with good maneuverability, DR and glowing pants as early as level 8.

Pink is Neutral Evil, because reasons.

Exalted Monk Avatar by ThePrez1776

19. - Top - End - #19
    Ettin in the Playground

The young priest waves his arms about, "Oh, my, yes, all volunteers. The potential rewards are substantial, and there are always people seeking to gain money, glory in the eyes of the crowd, the favor of Inglip, and so on!"

20. - Top - End - #20

Ezekiel

"Interesting."
    The large paladin crosses his arms. "Large bugs would make a formidable opponent for the uninitiated, with their chitinous exterior..."

21. - Top - End - #21

Ria Hellsong

"Let's go bug hunting then!" Ria suggests a bit forcefully. "Hey. Priest. Where can we find said bugs, anyway?" She questions.
    Last edited by VirusInk; 2016-03-07 at 04:48 PM.

22. - Top - End - #22
    Ettin in the Playground

The young priest considers Ria's question. "Good question. I'm told that if you wander the countryside long enough, you're liable to encounter all manner of strange creatures, but if you're looking for big bugs in particular... Hm. I remember there was a big show awhile back where the Crown executed this drow guy who had been infesting the cold iron mines to the northwest with centipedes; there might be some centipedes left over in the mines? Or, I dunno, has anybody posted at the Adventurer's Guild about any problems with bugs? That's where I'd start looking."

23. - Top - End - #23

Ezekiel

The paladin nods. "Thank you for your time, friend." Turning back to his team. "Back to the adventurer's guild we go..."

Spoiler: OoC
    Show
    Ezekiel will go back to the adventurer's guild and check the board for bug related quests.

24. - Top - End - #24
    Ettin in the Playground

The priest bids the party fare well and returns to raking the arena sand, and the party returns to the Adventurer's Guild!

The bounty board offers several options!

As the young priest suggested, the Tiv-Beckett Cold Iron Mine still advertises a bounty for clearing the mines of monstrously huge centipedes -- but Tom the bartender opined that the mines are pretty well cleared and not worth it.

There's a bounty for monsters in the sewers, but who knows if that means bugs or oozes or otyughs or what.

There are ettercaps near the town of Alpineway, which is like bugs (and might include spiders; ettercaps are known to keep spiders as pets, it says so on the posted page), though potentially a tough challenge.

And, of course, the cellar of Ma Raixey's Elixir Emporium (conveniently right across the street from the Adventurer's Guild, the party has seen the shop while passing by) has become infested with preposterously-sized scorpions.

25. - Top - End - #25

Ezekiel

"I propose we head to Ma Raixey's Elixir Emporium." He jots down the name and address. "This seems doable?"

26. - Top - End - #26
    Titan in the Playground

Taric doesn't protest.
    Avatar of Rudisplork Avatar of PC-dom and Slayer of the Internet. Extended sig
    GitP Regulars as: Vestiges Spells Weapons Races Deities Feats Soulmelds/Veils
    Quote Originally Posted by Darrin View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Snowbluff View Post
    All gaming systems should be terribly flawed and exploitable if you want everyone to be happy with them. This allows for a wide variety of power levels for games for different levels of players.
    I dub this the Snowbluff Axiom.

27. - Top - End - #27
    Ettin in the Playground

Ma Raixey's Elixir Emporium

And lo, the party heads across the street, to Ma Raixey's Elixir Emporium!

A small building, lined floor to ceiling with shelf upon shelf of an astounding miscellany of potions, elixirs, balms, oils, salves, juices, draughts, and tonics.

Behind the counter is Ma Raixey herself, a dark-skinned woman of indeterminate ancestry -- human? mongrelfolk? half-elf? It's a little hard to tell, she's very, but not quite entirely, humany. She smiles as the party enters, "Good morning, dearies! What can I do for you today?"

28. - Top - End - #28

Ezekiel

Spreading his arms wide, Ezekiel exclaims. "We've come to ask about your scorpion problem!" Smiling, he adds. "We'd love to at least assess their threat level."

29. - Top - End - #29
    Ettin in the Playground

Ma Raixey's Elixir Emporium

Ma Raixey beams! "Aha! Bless your bonnets! Well, there's a bunch of them, should be twelve altogether, unless they've been breeding; I ordered twelve scorpion eggs from Romus, you see, wonderful reagent in a variety of oils and ointments. Only I lost track of the crate of eggs at the back of my cellar and plum forgot about them until they went and hatched, and then they must have gotten into the growth potions. There's one great big one, too big even to get up the cellar stairs, and the smaller ones all seem to want to stick close to the big one. I say 'smaller', but most of them are as big as you are."

30. - Top - End - #30

Enoch the Just

Enoch looks at his team. "We could probably do well in a ranged combat situation..." The wheels in his head are turning. "It sounds pretty dangerous. Thoughts?"