New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Dwarf in the Playground

Planetar

Default Is 1181 the end of the book?

Seems like a good ending, the increased frequency of strips slowed down, perhaps while Rich (our patron saint) is getting the book layout ready.

Thoughts?
    Ancient gamer slowly rising from torpor, please forgive my ignorance of these modern times.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Dragon in the Playground Moderator

Default Re: Is 1181 the end of the book?

No. Books end with black bits.
    Last edited by Peelee; 2019-10-04 at 10:25 AM.
    Cuthalion's art is the prettiest art of all the art. Like my avatar.

Number of times Roland St. Jude has sworn revenge upon me: 2

3. - Top - End - #3
    Ogre in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

Looks like we will be getting an "is this the end of the book" thread on every other strip until the ending is actually announced.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Barbarian in the Playground

Flumph

We're probably Close to the end of the book, but we haven't seen what Haley and Elan are up to at the temple, and we will probably get some sort of dramatic reveal for the very last strip of the book. My Money is on Team Evil finding the Gate, but I have been surprised in the past.

5. - Top - End - #5

We have like five pages left, one of which will mostly be a splash page. From the pre-order info, I expect Rich will get us there by the end of this month.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Rogar Demonblud View Post
    We have like five pages left, one of which will mostly be a splash page. From the pre-order info, I expect Rich will get us there by the end of this month.
    Put me down for two comics totaling 3-4 pages at this point. I think we are very near the end. If nothing else, printing is a bit of a long process, so things will need to be done quite soon if Ookkoodook is going to have them December 2nd. Of course Rich could finish and delay posting, but I think it's more likely things get posted as they are done.

In any event, I'm sure we'll get something more than 1181 to end this book (the last panel is nice and all, but if this were an ending page, that panel would be at least a half page).

7. - Top - End - #7
    Pixie in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

I feel like it will be obvious when we hit the end of this book. It's possible the last page is without a cliffhanger or foreboding thought, but I doubt that.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Dwarf in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by The Pilgrim View Post
    Looks like we will be getting an "is this the end of the book" thread on every other strip until the ending is actually announced.
    Is this thread the end of the “is this the end of the book” threads, though?

9. - Top - End - #9
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by JT View Post
    It is the second one we’ve had recently (the first being four strips ago).
    Last edited by Schroeswald; 2019-10-04 at 03:48 PM.
    Arrrgh, here be me extended sig!
    Spoiler: Read this if I've posted a theory in the post above
    Show

Quote Originally Posted by Schroeswald View Post
    I recognize that Conservation of Detail is Overrated, but I find the event that I am using as evidence for my theory above important enough/given enough focus to qualify for what I call Elan’s Exception, “Who wastes perfectly good foreshadowing like that?”. Also I have never correctly predicted any event in any piece of media so take this theory with a grain of salt (I call this Peelee’s Ye Old Reminder).

10. - Top - End - #10
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Quebbster View Post
    We're probably Close to the end of the book, but we haven't seen what Haley and Elan are up to at the temple, and we will probably get some sort of dramatic reveal for the very last strip of the book. My Money is on Team Evil finding the Gate, but I have been surprised in the past.
    For some reason, I think there will be a look through another gate/in-the-gate-world reference
    Avatar by linklele. How Teleport Works
    a. Malifice (paraphrased):
    Rulings are not 'House Rules.' Rulings are a DM doing what DMs are supposed to do.
    b. greenstone (paraphrased):
    Agency means that they {players} control their character's actions; you control the world's reactions to the character's actions.
    Gosh, 2D8HP, you are so very correct!
    Second known member of the Greyview Appreciation Society

11. - Top - End - #11
    Dwarf in the Playground

ElfRogueGirl

Spoiler: No.
    I'm Chaotic Good! Ish!

12. - Top - End - #12
    Ogre in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Elenna View Post
    Spoiler: No.
    Never. Until the very end. Even after.

Quote Originally Posted by Peelee View Post
    No. Books end with black bits.
    This.

I do believe, however, that we may shift for other location and that 1181 may be the last scene of the Order characters on this book, given the fading on Durkon's scene.
    Each one of us, alone, is but a drop in the sea
    Our powers pale compared with the great heroes
    Our battles don’t hit theheadlines or shake the earth
    But they are few, can’t be everywhere, and we, many
    So, when the world or universe needs saving, they come
    But when people needs saving, we are the ones to appear
    We're underdogs, but we rise up to the challenge to be heroes.
    (Wishing Joe, a low-powered superhero)

"I really like the Geek Math'ology we do here"

13. - Top - End - #13

Flumph

Quote Originally Posted by D.One View Post
    Never. Until the very end. Even after.

This.

I do believe, however, that we may shift for other location and that 1181 may be the last scene of the Order characters on this book, given the fading on Durkon's scene.
    Quite possible. On the other hand, we haven't seen what Haley and Elan have been doing during the denouement, so we might get a Quick check-in with them. Don't quite know what it would be, but on the other hand it would have been easy showing them drinking with Roy and Belkar so maybe they have their own thing coming up. We will see I guess.

14. - Top - End - #14

15. - Top - End - #15
    Dragon in the Playground Moderator

Scrubbing the monkey?
    Cuthalion's art is the prettiest art of all the art. Like my avatar.

Number of times Roland St. Jude has sworn revenge upon me: 2

16. - Top - End - #16

The longer it takes for Rich to release strip 1182, the more I'm thinking that 1182 is going to be the last strip of the book...

...an' itta gonna be a doozy.
    "Character is what you are in the dark." - D.L. Moody
    Life's too short to be ashamed of how you were born.

17. - Top - End - #17
    Dwarf in the Playground

Planetar

Quote Originally Posted by jwhouk View Post
    The longer it takes for Rich to release strip 1182, the more I'm thinking that 1182 is going to be the last strip of the book...

...an' itta gonna be a doozy.
    Yeah that makes sense, one more BOOM strip then a break.
    Ancient gamer slowly rising from torpor, please forgive my ignorance of these modern times.

18. - Top - End - #18
    Dwarf in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

My feels are for a splash page with lien and ochul dead with Xykon talking about terminating the roaches or something.

19. - Top - End - #19

HalflingRogueGuy

Quote Originally Posted by grandpheonix View Post
    My feels are for a splash page with lien and ochul dead with Xykon talking about terminating the roaches or something.
    O’Chul dies suddenly and without purpose only if George RR Martin is a very special guest writer.

I agree that this strip would make a great end to the book. I also agree that a dramatic cliffhanger would make a good end to the book.
    Last edited by Dion; 2019-10-14 at 10:56 AM.

20. - Top - End - #20

First off, why would Lien and O-Chul be killed off? What would that do whatsoever and how could it not feel like a meaningless death.

Second off, why would he the roaches? They only do minor structural damage to the fourth wall, he’s tolerated them hanging around
    Spoiler: SOD
    Show
    for the past 30 years

I doubt he’d kill them now, if you’re using some metaphorical language make sure it’s not easily applicable to them doing something else.
    Show

I recognize that Conservation of Detail is Overrated, but I find the event that I am using as evidence for my theory above important enough/given enough focus to qualify for what I call Elan’s Exception, “Who wastes perfectly good foreshadowing like that?”. Also I have never correctly predicted any event in any piece of media so take this theory with a grain of salt (I call this Peelee’s Ye Old Reminder).

21. - Top - End - #21
    Dwarf in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

Sorry was waking up. Nah, Xykon called Ochul and Lien roaches. I hope it's not that, but I think that's the only kind of splash page that could make my jaw drop.

22. - Top - End - #22

*Giant* Challenge Accepted */Giant*

23. - Top - End - #23

Sorry was waking up. Nah, Xykon called Ochul and Lien roaches. I hope it's not that, but I think that's the only kind of splash page that could make my jaw drop.
    If you think of it as a possibility it won’t make your jaw drop, I think that there seems to be a 0% of it being true (much like Minrah dying), so it would make my jaw drop, but it won’t happen so it doesn’t matter

In a mostly off topic tangent: My only jaw drops have been Roy’s death and the reveal of the more than two worlds (Durkon and Nale’s deaths in BRiTF would have been but they were spoiled) all the other surprises were just surprises, because I didn’t have the time to think of any possibilities that could happen, while those were so out of left field that I couldn’t have thought of it if I tried.
    Show

24. - Top - End - #24
    Dwarf in the Playground

DruidGuy

My guess is that this book ends with a splash panel showing Xykon and the rest of the baddies looking at the final gate in all its glory, figure it'll be a good way to convey just how dire the situation in book 7 will be.

25. - Top - End - #25
    Orc in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

confused Re: Is 1181 the end of the book?

The end of the book will be blatantly obvious. I bet it will also coincide with a long Christmas vacation for the author. One gets the impression that the comic is a chore to him these days.
    How to turn off these annoying .sigs:

1. Edit your profile options.
    2. Scroll down to "Visible Post Elements".
    3. Uncheck "Show Signatures".
    4. Save changes.
    5. Enjoy a much less cluttered and noisy forum.

26. - Top - End - #26

It'll be done before then, given the dates listed with the pre-order. I do agree that he deserves a vacation, however much we're jonesing for our next comic fix.

27. - Top - End - #27

RedKnightGirl

d6 Re: Is 1181 the end of the book?

We will know December 2nd.
    9 wisdom true neutral cleric you know you want me in your adventuring party

28. - Top - End - #28

Quote Originally Posted by Aidan View Post
    My guess is that this book ends with a splash panel showing Xykon and the rest of the baddies looking at the final gate in all its glory, figure it'll be a good way to convey just how dire the situation in book 7 will be.
    And I will continue to argue against this, mainly because if Kraagor’s Gate’s defenses simply stall them for a week it will feel incredibly ineffectual, especially since the first two took months and the defeat of an epic caster, the third took an entire army and defeat of an epic paladin, the fourth was defeated by the most powerful spell we’ve seen and for the OOTS to get to it they had to fight off a team of near-epic enemies.
    Quote Originally Posted by Finagle View Post
    The end of the book will be blatantly obvious. I bet it will also coincide with a long Christmas vacation for the author. One gets the impression that the comic is a chore to him these days.
    If it will be blatantly obvious, what will it be? I had a lot of options written in 1180’s thread but all they were was a bunch of random people and places who could be involved.
    Show

29. - Top - End - #29
    Ogre in the Playground

If it will be blatantly obvious, what will it be? I had a lot of options written in 1180’s thread but all they were was a bunch of random people and places who could be involved.
    He didn't say it was obvious what it would be, but that when you see it you will know it's the end.
    "Besides, you know the saying: Kill one, and you are a murderer. Kill millions, and you are a conqueror. Kill them all, and you are a god." -- Fishman

30. - Top - End - #30

Quote Originally Posted by The MunchKING View Post
    He didn't say it was obvious what it would be, but that when you see it you will know it's the end.
    Duh-durr, sometimes I need to use myself a brain, in which case I agree with the first part of his post about the ending (it will not only be blatantly clear but will say: The Order of the Stick Will Return on December eleventyteenth).
    Show