New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 12 of 49 FirstFirst ... 234567891011121314151617181920212237 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #331
    Troll in the Playground

Default Re: The Index of the Giant's Comments V―On a Saner Forum, We Wouldn't Need this Index

Quote Originally Posted by Emanick View Post
    If several people have asked about it over the years, it should be included, IMO. And I've seen several people ask about a random button over the years
    They didn't ask about it, they wanted someone to make one.
    Last edited by martianmister; 2016-03-30 at 09:23 PM.
    Spoiler
    Show

2. - Top - End - #332
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: The Index of the Giant's Comments V―On a Saner Forum, We Wouldn't Need this Index

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Miel View Post
    In fact I propose a new section for site functionality. I can think of several quotes that would fit there, including the new one about pdf size.
    You...want to propose a new section for site functionality, as place for a quote about...the size of PDFs, which aren't on the site?
    Feytouched Banana eldritch disciple avatar by...me!

The Index of the Giant's Comments VI―Making Dogma from Zapped Bananas

3. - Top - End - #333
    Colossus in the Playground

I think possibly Ron is thinking of a new section for "technical stuff."

(Not co-endorsing, merely speculating about reasoning.)

4. - Top - End - #334
    Firbolg in the Playground

What's wrong with including comments about site functionality? It's a topic that comes up all the time.

In fact I propose a new section for site functionality. I can think of several quotes that would fit there, including the new one about pdf size.
    There's nothing wrong about it, except that it's not about the comic, so it doesn't belong in the Index, per rule B3: "This excludes GiTP forum rules, updates, or general information". This quote falls under "GiTP general information", which excludes it under that rule. We could of course expand the Index scope to cover matters loosely related to the comic. This would be a slight rewrite of rule B3.

In contrast, the matter of pdf size directly involves the comic : It's useful information about one of the formats the comic is sold under.

5. - Top - End - #335
    Ogre in the Playground

Flumph

Quote Originally Posted by martianmister View Post
    They didn't ask about it, they wanted someone to make one.
    Yeah, that's what I meant - asking about whether there could/ever would be a Random button.
    Number of Character Appearances VII - To Absent Friends

Currently playing a level 20 aasimar necromancer named Zebulun Salathiel and a level 9 goliath diviner named Lo-Kag.

Quote Originally Posted by Fyraltari View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Peelee View Post
    Player: Bob twists the vault door super hard, that should open it.
    DM: Why would you think that?
    Player: Well, Bob thinks it. And since Bob has high Int and Wis, and a lot of points in Dungeoneering, he would probably know a thing or two about how to open vault doors.
    Ah yes, the Dungeon-Kruger effect.

6. - Top - End - #336
    Dwarf in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

The reason for not having a random button is directly related to the comic and the Giant's vision of it. The quote should be added.

7. - Top - End - #337
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Jasdoif View Post
    You...want to propose a new section for site functionality, as place for a quote about...the size of PDFs, which aren't on the site?
    My mistake. I thought they could be purchased and downloaded from the site. Yeah, "technical stuff" might be a better title.
    -.____________________
    ./___________________()-------Ron Miel
    |...___________________--------sits down
    |..| |_________________()-------and starts
    |..|/__________________--------singing
    | ___________________()-------about gold

8. - Top - End - #338
    Barbarian in the Playground

MindFlayer

Do you think the presence of the "Latest Additions" table is clear enough, though? If you think it'd be helpful for it to be more obvious in some fashion, we could certainly consider making it more obvious.
    No, it's pretty prominent, I just hadn't looked at the first post properly in quite a while. I'm not sure how you could draw more attention to it outside the initial post itself. If it were in its own post it would be easier to link to and point to, but it would probably get overlooked just as easily.

9. - Top - End - #339
    Orc in the Playground

PirateGuy

Do you think the presence of the "Latest Additions" table is clear enough, though? If you think it'd be helpful for it to be more obvious in some fashion, we could certainly consider making it more obvious.
    It could be more apparent if it were directly below the thanks or the incredibly-relevant-out-of-context Giant quote.

It would obscure the "It's intended as a research aid" bit, though...
    "Really? The premature villain gloat? I'm a failure as a parent." - Loki, OotS #1012
    "The good news is that I have absolutely no idea what I'm doing." - Blackwing, OotS #1020

10. - Top - End - #340
    Titan in the Playground

OK, looks like the random button quote is getting in, so we've got two quotes on the tentative list now:
    Why Some PDFs are Larger than Others
    High resolution raster artwork, mostly.
    #1029 03/22/2016 Tentative, appears will be included without vote.
    On the Absence of a Random Comic Button
    "...I don't think it's really that good of an idea considering how tightly connected the comic is from one strip to the next."
    #984 05/11/2015 Tentative, appears will be included without vote.

And the proposals for deletion?
    Doesn't look like your proposals have much traction, a lot of people think the quotes should remain included.

Quote Originally Posted by Kalmegil View Post
    The reason for not having a random button is directly related to the comic and the Giant's vision of it. The quote should be added.
    I can certainly see the case where the quote is about how the site navigation serves to present the comic, which I figure is at least as relevant to the comic as book publishing is; and "book publishing" is specifically called out as potentially valid under Rule B2.

Yeah, "technical stuff" might be a better title.
    Seems pretty vague....Maybe I can get a better sense of what the categorization would be with more examples. What are the other quotes you think would should go into such a section?

11. - Top - End - #341
    Dragon in the Playground Moderator

Default Re: The Index of the Giant's Comments V - On a Saner Forum, We Wouldn't Need this Ind

I'm not suggesting this to be added to the Index, but just figured it was worth mentioning:

Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    I don't read the forum anymore, beyond the threads about products and the first few posts of a new comic thread (so I can make sure other people are actually seeing the posted comic).
    Unless there are rather large points of contention in the main comic or the PDFs what're gonna be released, looks like this thread is gonna be runnin' on fumes for a while.
    Cuthalion's art is the prettiest art of all the art. Like my avatar.

Number of times Roland St. Jude has sworn revenge upon me: 2

12. - Top - End - #342
    Ogre in the Playground

Doesn't look like your proposals have much traction, a lot of people think the quotes should remain included.
    I wouldn't say that. By my count there are five who explicitly favour deletion vs three who explicitly oppose it, and one other who says keep 1 delete 1. Isn't that enough to put it to a vote?

Seems pretty vague....Maybe I can get a better sense of what the categorization would be with more examples. What are the other quotes you think would should go into such a section?
    Quotes that refer to the technical details of art production. Things that are required by his computer set up rather than artistic choices. Issues about putting the process of putting the art on the website.

here are some that I think could go in the proposed new section

• The Web and Print Versions of Strips are Designed Concurrently
    • Art Colors can Change
      Whether because the Giant doesn't like the old color, or because his system doesn't.
    • On Changing Font Style
      The failure of the Giant's old computer means the style couldn't stay the same.
    • Why Book Corrections Don't Get to the Online Strip
      Undoing the differences between online and book versions of strips would be inefficient.
    • The Larger Online Page Size Aids Readability and Showcases New Art
    -.____________________

13. - Top - End - #343
    Titan in the Playground

I wouldn't say that. By my count there are five who explicitly favour deletion vs three who explicitly oppose it, and one other who says keep 1 delete 1. Isn't that enough to put it to a vote?
    Well let me count again....

So the Munchkin quote has 5 for removing and 6 for keeping; while the computer game quote has 4 for removing and 7 for keeping.

14. - Top - End - #344
    Ogre in the Playground

I believe that Keltest's post is supporting removal, too.

BTW, I've never understood the bureaucracy of this thread, what circumstances actually require a vote?
    -.____________________

15. - Top - End - #345
    Ettin in the Playground

frown Re: The Index of the Giant's Comments V - On a Saner Forum, We Wouldn't Need this Ind

I don't read the forum anymore
    How come he don't want us? ;_;
    THE SCRYING EYE AT THE END OF STRIP #698 WAS ZZ'DTRI'S (SOURCE)

16. - Top - End - #346
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

BTW, I've never understood the bureaucracy of this thread, what circumstances actually require a vote?
    You believe correctly. Vacuum ALL the clutter!
    “Evil is evil. Lesser, greater, middling, it's all the same. Proportions are negotiated, boundaries blurred. I'm not a pious hermit, I haven't done only good in my life. But if I'm to choose between one evil and another, then I prefer not to choose at all.”

17. - Top - End - #347
    Titan in the Playground

The hefty qualifier makes me disagree with counting it as such...and if I did count it as supporting removing them, I'd need to count Throknor's direct rebuttal as supporting keeping them; so it hardly matters.

...I see now that Keltest has posted clarification about the prior post, though. So be it: The Munchkin quote has 6 for removing and 7 for keeping; while the computer game quote has 5 for removing and 8 for keeping.

As the thread stands right now, there are three cases where a vote is called for:
    • A quote in an update cycle has received support from less than two-thirds, but at least one-third, of the posts discussing it; and I receive two PMs requesting that a vote be called on the quote to ensure the consensus is to include the quote.
    • I reorganize the Index and there are objections (Rule F1).
    • I decide a vote on something not delineated in the rules is warranted. (This includes any removal of quotes, since we have no Index rules on the matter and the general thread curation rules explicitly forbid me from making executive decisions on what posts are or are not included.

18. - Top - End - #348
    Ettin in the Playground

I think this thread is going to be much less busy in the future. I've been noticing that Rich has been commenting less and less in the forums, and he just confirmed that he doesn't really read them anymore

19. - Top - End - #349

How will the Emperor maintain control without the bureaucracy?
    Last edited by Peelee; 2016-04-22 at 09:10 PM.

20. - Top - End - #350

So the Munchkin quote has 5 for removing and 6 for keeping; while the computer game quote has 4 for removing and 7 for keeping.
    Count me on the keeper side. These quotes might be unimportant in the eyes of many, but they aren't redundant, and they are relevant to the comic (at least, not much less relevant than the quote about the random button). I see no reason for removal.
    Last edited by Gwynfrid; 2016-04-24 at 06:22 AM.

21. - Top - End - #351
    Ettin in the Playground

As always, you can count me on the side of keeping things in the index.

And eh, I don't see this thread running on fumes too much. This seems to be something he's been doing a while, but he still winds up closing threads and definitively settling the question in the process on an irregular basis regardless.
    Linguist and Invoker of Orcus of the Rudisplorker's Guild
    Fantasy literature is ONLY worthwhile for what it can tell us about the real world; everything else is petty escapism.
    No author should have to take the time to say, "This little girl ISN'T evil, folks!" in order for the reader to understand that. It should be assumed that no first graders are irredeemably Evil unless the text tells you they are.

22. - Top - End - #352
    Barbarian in the Playground

BardGuy

The three weeks no one chimed in wasn't a hint? Keep & Keep.

23. - Top - End - #353
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Gwynfrid View Post
    Count me on the keeper side. These quotes might be unimportant in the eyes of many, but they aren't redundant, and they are relevant to the comic (at least, not much less relevant than the quote about the random button). I see no reason for removal.
    This covers my position quite well on the subject.
    John Ling
    Frog God Games Lead Pathfinder Developer

Note: unless explicitly stated otherwise, opinions in my posts are my own and not those of Frog God Games.

24. - Top - End - #354
    Titan in the Playground

OK, the two month period for the next update cycle ends on...Friday, it looks like, since the last normal update was March 13; I somehow doubt we're going to get four more quotes before then.

Tentative list is still:

#1029 03/22/2016 Tentative, appears will be included without vote.
    "...I don't think it's really that good of an idea considering how tightly connected the comic is from one strip to the next."
    #984 05/11/2015 Tentative, appears will be included without vote.

....And if I did count it as supporting removing them, I'd need to count Throknor's direct rebuttal as supporting keeping them; so it hardly matters.

...I see now that Keltest has posted clarification about the prior post, though. So be it: The Munchkin quote has 6 for removing and 7 for keeping; while the computer game quote has 5 for removing and 8 for keeping.
    Quote Originally Posted by SaintRidley View Post
    As always, you can count me on the side of keeping things in the index.
    Quote Originally Posted by Zherog View Post
    This covers my position quite well on the subject.
    So the Munchkin quote has 6 for removing and 10 for keeping, while the computer game quote has 5 for removing and 11 for keeping....I'm not seeing much cause to hold a vote on their removal.

Yeah, "technical stuff" might be a better title.
    Maybe I can get a better sense of what the categorization would be with more examples. What are the other quotes you think would should go into such a section?
    Quotes that refer to the technical details of art production. Things that are required by his computer set up rather than artistic choices. Issues about putting the process of putting the art on the website.

here are some that I think could go in the proposed new section

• The Web and Print Versions of Strips are Designed Concurrently
    • Art Colors can Change
      Whether because the Giant doesn't like the old color, or because his system doesn't.
    • On Changing Font Style
      The failure of the Giant's old computer means the style couldn't stay the same.
    • Why Book Corrections Don't Get to the Online Strip
      Undoing the differences between online and book versions of strips would be inefficient.
    • The Larger Online Page Size Aids Readability and Showcases New Art
    So what's everyone else think about this? Moving entries to a new category is easy enough to do, but mixing book-to-book and online-vs-book differences in a single category seems like it'd be more confusing than clarifying, and I'm not sure splitting it into book-to-book and online-vs-book categories would be particularly helpful if they'll have so few entries each.

How will the Emperor maintain control without the bureaucracy?
    Frankly, I think I'm more like the local planetary governors who're overridden by their Imperial counterparts when they see fit; so it doesn't really affect me whether the regional governors have direct control or not.

25. - Top - End - #355

So what's everyone else think about this? Moving entries to a new category is easy enough to do, but mixing book-to-book and online-vs-book differences in a single category seems like it'd be more confusing than clarifying, and I'm not sure splitting it into book-to-book and online-vs-book categories would be particularly helpful if they'll have so few entries each.
    I'm lukewarm on this. I mean, I'm not opposed, because I admit the Art section is a little on the large side. But it doesn't strike me as a change we must have.

If you do separate "computer-driven" from art-focused quotes, then I recommend the first one ("The Web and Print Versions of Strips are Designed Concurrently") should stay with "Art". In spite of its summary line, this quote is really all about art decisions.
    Last edited by Gwynfrid; 2016-05-11 at 04:31 PM.

26. - Top - End - #356
    Ettin in the Playground

I'm lukewarm on this. I mean, I'm not opposed, because I admit the Art section is a little on the large side. But it doesn't strike me as a change we must have.

If you do separate "computer-driven" from art-focused quotes, then I recommend the first one ("The Web and Print Versions of Strips are Designed Concurrently") should stay with "Art". In spite of its summary line, this quote is really all about art decisions.
    And as the person who asked the question that got those quotes, the questioning was truly art-driven.
    Linguist and Invoker of Orcus of the Rudisplorker's Guild
    Fantasy literature is ONLY worthwhile for what it can tell us about the real world; everything else is petty escapism.
    No author should have to take the time to say, "This little girl ISN'T evil, folks!" in order for the reader to understand that. It should be assumed that no first graders are irredeemably Evil unless the text tells you they are.

27. - Top - End - #357
    Titan in the Playground

Well, first things first.

Proposed Items for Index 5.2
    #1029 03/22/2016 No vote required, will be included.
    #984 05/11/2015 No vote required, will be included.

With nothing eligible to be voted on, there will be no vote; both entries are now in the Index.

Now that the official-y stuff is done....

I agree...and now that I just had to shove the random comic quote into "Tools and Logistics" under "Writing", I think a category for stuff about the online presentation of the strips would mitigate my minor annoyance

Right now it looks like such a category should contain....
    #984 05/11/2015
    The Larger Online Page Size Aids Readability and Showcases New Art
    Also, the font is larger because the online comic page is larger.
    #949 04/17/2014
    Why the Strip Titles Aren't Above the Strip
    The titles are "bonus" jokes. Rich prefers not to put them above the strip itself.
    #759 11/20/2010
    Why Book Corrections Don't Get to the Online Strip
    #665 06/25/2009
    What's everyone else think?

I'm not suggesting this to be added to the Index, but just figured it was worth mentioning:

I don't read the forum anymore, beyond the threads about products and the first few posts of a new comic thread (so I can make sure other people are actually seeing the posted comic).
    Unless there are rather large points of contention in the main comic or the PDFs what're gonna be released, looks like this thread is gonna be runnin' on fumes for a while.
    So noted, but I don't think an official post about how it's been the past few/several months makes the scenario any different than it's been for the past few/several months. Besides, I'm sure some combination of fruit and Star Wars (Cherry Sithsabers! Exactly like Life Savers, just entirely different!) will keep us afloat (Life savers! Now in forum flavor, which may or may not bear a completely innocuous resemblance to banana!).

28. - Top - End - #358
    Titan in the Playground

OK, because I don't like how the thread's fallen onto the second page I couldn't find this quote through the Index because the description made no mention of what I was looking for....Does anyone else think it'd be worthwhile to add the portion about only SRD spells being common knowledge to this entry that's in D&D Rules and Explanations (or possibly something similar, like a second entry for the quote)?

Characters: Items and Stats
    Order of the Stick
    Durkon's Mass Death Ward
    Rich did not even know Mass Death Ward existed when he wrote the strip. He pegged it at 7th level instead of 8th.
    #806 09/19/2011

For ease of reference, the entire post:
    Quote Originally Posted by Valwyn View Post
    I don't know why he had to research the spell in the first place. It already exists . It's not in the Player's Handbook, but it's in the Spell Compendium and Tsukiko already used Orb spells, which are also non-core.
    She almost certainly had to research them specifically, though. For simplicity, I usually assume that all spells in the SRD are "common knowledge" and everything else is "obscure/non-existent" unless someone has researched it. That's because the bulk of the reading audience won't know about each and every spell in 3.5, but most of them have the Player's Handbook.

Plus, I didn't know Mass Death Ward was an actual spell until right this moment. I was merely extrapolating, I never checked any of the books for it. But it doesn't really affect the story either way, except for that I was pegging it at 7th level instead of 8th.

29. - Top - End - #359
    Ettin in the Playground

OK, because I don't like how the thread's fallen onto the second page I couldn't find this quote through the Index because the description made no mention of what I was looking for....Does anyone else think it'd be worthwhile to add the portion about only SRD spells being common knowledge to this entry that's in D&D Rules and Explanations (or possibly something similar, like a second entry for the quote)?

Order of the Stick
    Durkon's Mass Death Ward
    Rich did not even know Mass Death Ward existed when he wrote the strip. He pegged it at 7th level instead of 8th.
    #806 09/19/2011

For ease of reference, the entire post:
    Honestly I like the quote! But I think it showcases things other than mass death ward. For example, I find the information about SRD spells more keepable than the fact that he pegged it at level 7 rather than 8...
    Scientific Name: Wombous apocolypticus | Diet: Apocolypse Pie | Cuddly: Yes

World Building Projects:
    Magic
    : The Stuff of Sentience | Fate: The Fabric of Physics | Luck: The Basis of Biology

Order of the Stick Projects:
    Annotation of the Comic | Magic Compendium of the Comic | Transcription of the Comic
    Dad-a-chum? Dum-a-chum? Ded-a-chek? Did-a-chick?
    Extended Signature | My DeviantArt | Majora's Mask Point Race
    (you can't take the sky from me)

30. - Top - End - #360

Meant to do this a few days ago, but I got sidetracked....

I propose we remove the following:

Order of the Stick
    Vampire Durkon Can Cast Spells
    A cleric doesn't have to worship a deity to cast spells.
    #883 04/09/2013

It is no longer relevant to Vampire Durkon (or any known vampire in the comic, for that matter), so is only for world-building purposes. And as the Giant noted that the rules explicitly allow for non-theistic clerics, even that bit of world-building is accessible via SRD.

EDIT:
    Quote Originally Posted by Yendor View Post
    We don't even need the SRD. We have had explicitly non-theistic clerics in the comic.
    Last edited by Peelee; 2016-06-08 at 05:22 PM.