New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 39 of 49 FirstFirst ... 142930313233343536373839404142434445464748 ... LastLast
Results 1,141 to 1,170 of 1469
  1. - Top - End - #1141
    Dwarf in the Playground

Griffon

Default Re: The Index of the Giant's Comments V―On a Saner Forum, We Wouldn't Need this Index

First and foremost - fully acknowledge my bias that I think this thread is overall good but also strays into the slightly overeager by documenting nigh-on everything ever posted by The Giant. I am always going to be in favour of removing quotes unless they have an ongoing benefit.

That being said I would like to discuss removing / combining some things (mainly art related cause to my mind a lot of them are no longer of note)

Index Guidelines
    Delete Rule C and subsequent reference to Rule C in Rule D
    - Its been about 5 years. Is the strikethrough aspect still needed?

Delete Old Inclusion Text
    - Similar to above. Its been deleted nearly 3 years. No longer required

Alignment
    Delete General Information - Elan and Nale's Parentage
    - Elan / Nale / Empire of Blood family storyline has wrapped. No ongoing benefit to the "more information to come" aspect of post
    - Alternative proposal: Remove quote as solo entry, instead have as "See also" under Good Characters - Elan is (still) Chaotic Good as it outlines Elan's view on what a "Good" character should do

Art
    Delete General - On Changing Font Style
    - Font style changed 5 years ago. Radical art style change in addition. No ongoing benefit to this

Delete General - Light and Art
    - Current art style does including shading and light

Delete General - "How the Paladin Got His Scar" is in the New Art Style
    - Subsequently released. While the "bluescale" / "greyscale" input is fascinating, it is specific to the potential blue themed Azure City prequel and not of ongoing relevance

Combine General - Why Some Wounds are Black, and General - Art Colors can Change to new heading "Comic Colours"
    - Art colours can change dependent on artistic vision and computer limitations. Wounds can be multiple colours for purposes of contrast

Remove Drawing - Redcloak Getting Footwear
    - Art style changed for ~5 years now. Multiple character looks changed with art style and while the quote does go into more detail about the why ("weak and unthreatening") quote has no ongoing benefit

Remove Drawing - The Larger Online Page Size Aids Readability and Showcases New Art
    - Changed art style and online page size for ~5 years. No ongoing benefit

Combine Drawing - On Growing Art Complexity and Drawing - The Scenery is Harder to Draw Than the Characters
    - Add the scenery tweet as a "see also" to growing art complexity as it shows that whilst the current art style takes longer, this is an acceptable side-effect to the growing art complexity The Giant wanted.
    - Delete the hands information, seems to be largely reactionary to the (at-the-time) outcry about the hands. Doesn't particularly add anything of note, and the fact that The Giant wanted more complex but slightly lengthier-to-draw artwork is better summarised by the above 2 quotes

Combine Art & Magic - Meld Into Stone and Art & Magic - Invisibility into "Utility Trumps Consistency"

Writing
    Remove Story Telling Mistakes? - Malack is Ash
    - Quote comes from a discussion when Malack had just been killed and there was speculation may still live / questioning what happens to Durkon now. Subsequently evident in comic that Malack is dead dead and Durkon's fate

Remove Writing Process - About Roy Fighting HPoH ( ) at the Godsmoot
    - Thread appears to be gone. Additionally the supplied information "beginning, not climax" is evident in comic

Remove Tools and Logistics - The Giant Would have Split Book Five's Arc to Make It Easier to Print
    - Book Five subsequently printed. The fact that during that arc he wished he had written it differently doesnt seem to have any ongoing benefit to my mind

Retitle Story Development - The Girard's Gate Plotline
    - Quote is more about the creative process and how The Giant's Writing "begins with the scenes that [he wants] to have happen, and then... [he develops] around them to make that seem reasonable". Uses Girard's Gate as an example, but is a broader concept

2. - Top - End - #1142
    Ettin in the Playground

Default Re: The Index of the Giant's Comments V―On a Saner Forum, We Wouldn't Need this Index

My counterpoint: No to absolutely any of that that involves removing anything. If it's about the comic and its creative process in any way, I see zero grounds to ever remove it, even if superseded by later quotes or information presented in the comic, as it allows us a more accurate historical record of the creative efforts of the Giant and his thought for anyone who may wish to at some point actually study this comic more than just a passing read through. I'd prefer, if anything, to remove the process for removing material.

This has, of course, been my position for years, well-established, and always my rationale against every motion or vote to remove we've had.
    Linguist and Invoker of Orcus of the Rudisplorker's Guild
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    Fantasy literature is ONLY worthwhile for what it can tell us about the real world; everything else is petty escapism.
    No author should have to take the time to say, "This little girl ISN'T evil, folks!" in order for the reader to understand that. It should be assumed that no first graders are irredeemably Evil unless the text tells you they are.

3. - Top - End - #1143
    Dragon in the Playground Moderator

Anything referencing changes from X years ago is useful for knowing when the changes were made, at the very least (and often why the changes were made), which has ongoing benefit in perpetuity. I belief I have been the biggest instigator of calls to remove quotes (well, until now, with that impressive list), but all my pushes were made when the quote in question contained no information that couldn't be gotten elsewhere. I cannot agree with any of the proposed removals.
    Last edited by Peelee; 2019-04-30 at 04:38 PM.
    Cuthalion's art is the prettiest art of all the art. Like my avatar.

Number of times Roland St. Jude has sworn revenge upon me: 2

4. - Top - End - #1144
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by TDG View Post
    Index Guidelines
    Somewhat agree. I think this should be kept, but as a preamble, not a rule. Certainly it shouldn't be a rule with strikeout text, that doesn't make sense. Move to preamble, or remove altogether.

Agree

Alignment
    - Elan / Nale / Empire of Blood family storyline has wrapped. No ongoing benefit to the "more information to come" aspect of post
    - Alternative proposal: Remove quote as solo entry, instead have as "See also" under Good Characters - Elan is (still) Chaotic Good as it outlines Elan's view on what a "Good" character should do
    Oppose. The quote is Elan and Nale's Parentage. How did it affect their alignment? Giant can't fully answer because of events yet to be revealed.
    I don't see that this question has been answered yet. In fact I'm expecting a return of Nale in some form and a storyline involving their respective childhoods. Maybe a prequel book.

Art
    - Font style changed 5 years ago. Radical art style change in addition. No ongoing benefit to this

Combine General - Why Some Wounds are Black, and General - Art Colors can Change to new heading "Comic Colours"
    - Art colours can change dependent on artistic vision and computer limitations. Wounds can be multiple colours for purposes of contrast

- Art style changed for ~5 years now. Multiple character looks changed with art style and while the quote does go into more detail about the why ("weak and unthreatening") quote has no ongoing benefit

Remove Drawing - The Larger Online Page Size Aids Readability and Showcases New Art
    Oppose all of these. Some people are interested in the technical aspects of how the art is created. This includes methods the Giant used years ago that have changed.

- Subsequently released. While the "bluescale" / "greyscale" input is fascinating, it is specific to the potential blue themed Azure City prequel and not of ongoing relevance
    Agree somewhat. Keep the part about bluescale / grayscale, and delete the rest.

Combine Drawing - On Growing Art Complexity and Drawing - The Scenery is Harder to Draw Than the Characters
    - Add the scenery tweet as a "see also" to growing art complexity as it shows that whilst the current art style takes longer, this is an acceptable side-effect to the growing art complexity The Giant wanted.
    - Delete the hands information, seems to be largely reactionary to the (at-the-time) outcry about the hands. Doesn't particularly add anything of note, and the fact that The Giant wanted more complex but slightly lengthier-to-draw artwork is better summarised by the above 2 quotes

Combine Art & Magic - Meld Into Stone and Art & Magic - Invisibility into "Utility Trumps Consistency"
    No opinion on this. I don't see any need to change it, but I wouldn't object either.

Writing
    - Quote comes from a discussion when Malack had just been killed and there was speculation may still live / questioning what happens to Durkon now. Subsequently evident in comic that Malack is dead dead and Durkon's fate
    oppose - it is useful to clarify the art differences between dusted and gas form. This could come up in the current, or future storylines.

- Thread appears to be gone. Additionally the supplied information "beginning, not climax" is evident in comic
    Agree. Especially since the thread is deleted.

Remove Tools and Logistics - The Giant Would have Split Book Five's Arc to Make It Easier to Print
    - Book Five subsequently printed. The fact that during that arc he wished he had written it differently doesnt seem to have any ongoing benefit to my mind
    Oppose. It contains information about his creative process, which is of interest to some people.

- Quote is more about the creative process and how The Giant's Writing "begins with the scenes that [he wants] to have happen, and then... [he develops] around them to make that seem reasonable". Uses Girard's Gate as an example, but is a broader concept.
    Agree. This entry needs to be reworked. The discussion of the Giant's creative process is interesting and should be included, but the specific point that "Team Evil was never going to battle the OOTS at Girard's Gate" is pretty trivial.
    -.____________________
    ./___________________()-------Ron Miel
    |...___________________--------sits down
    |..| |_________________()-------and starts
    |..|/__________________--------singing
    | ___________________()-------about gold

5. - Top - End - #1145
    Troll in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

I think I mostly agree with what others have said, but I’ll add my own input.

Index Guidelines

I’m fine with keeping all this, as I don’t really think the rules are at a point where they are cluttered, and I like to see that there has been a change in them over time, but I don’t really have a strong opinion on it either way.

Alignment
    - Alternative proposal: Remove quote as solo entry, instead have as "See also" under Good Characters - Elan is (still) Chaotic Good as it outlines Elan's view on what a "Good" character should do.
    I’d be willing to go with the “see also” proposal, but again, no strong feelings.

Art

Just because they’re old or reference the old art style doesn’t mean that they don’t necessarily have any relevance (especially for someone who is curious about older events). I think we should keep these.

While similar, I think the difference between changing art colors, and a different representation of wounds are different enough to warrant separate entries, but I would not be averse to the Wounds entry becoming a see also if there’s other support.

To me, those details about the “why” are exactly what makes these relevant, so I’d keep.

I think the hands-specific information is still useful, so I’d either add Art Complexity as the see also, or just keep these as is.

While these are similar, I feel that the difference between rules accuracy and story utility is different enough to warrant these staying as separate entries. Again, if there’s enough support for it I think I’d be okay with the combination.

Writing
    The information about gaseous form and the items is still pretty useful, beyond just Malack.

This one does seem to be an issue, so I propose changing the link of that entry to this, in keeping with Rule A.

It’s an interesting aspect of the story creation process and worth keeping.

- Quote is more about the creative process and how The Giant's Writing "begins with the scenes that [he wants] to have happen, and then... [he develops] around them to make that seem reasonable". Uses Girard's Gate as an example, but is a broader concept
    I agree with this proposal.

Peelee’s Lotsey

6. - Top - End - #1146
    Bugbear in the Playground

BlueWizardGirl

Add me as as vote for everything Ron Miel said.

—Caerulea
    Non caerulea sum, Caerulea nomen meum est.
    Extended Signature.
    I'm not not a humanoid. Come not not be one too.
    Answer trivial questions in the OOTS trivia thread!

she/her

7. - Top - End - #1147
    Colossus in the Playground

I'm with SaintRidley here: don't remove any of those things.

8. - Top - End - #1148
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Jaxzan Proditor View Post
    This one does seem to be an issue, so I propose changing the link of that entry to this, in keeping with Rule A.
    I'm not sure if that's a good idea. The moderators have ruled that thread problematical and deleted it. Maybe best not to link to it.
    -.____________________

9. - Top - End - #1149
    Barbarian in the Playground

BardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Kish View Post
    I'm with SaintRidley here: don't remove any of those things.
    Agreed. And it's obvious the posters wanting deletes aren't going to agree on which ones.

10. - Top - End - #1150
    Titan in the Playground

Spoiler: I Made Too Many(?) Minitables Responding to TDG
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Index Guidelines
    Rule C: The index is a forum tool, meant primarily to provide easy access to direct statements from the author for the purpose of forum discussion. Thus, while the index may be fun to read through on a whim, this is not its primary purpose or focus - it is a research aid more than it is a trivia collection. It is for discussions more than it is for leisurely reading. (rescinded as rule on 12/16/2014)

Rule D: If two quotes seem to contradict each other, only the quote that illustrates Rich's most recent and current opinion or position will be included. The index is not meant to be a complete collection for leisurely reading. It is meant to be an accurate research aid for forum discussions. (reference to rescinded rule removed on 12/16/2014)
    It prevents me from needing to reletter the later rules or from needing to explain why there's a gap in the lettering...which, incidentally, is why I didn't delete it four and a half years ago.

Quote Originally Posted by Art Category
    General
    On Changing Font Style
    The failure of the Giant's old computer means the style couldn't stay the same.
    #936 2014/01/04
    The bit where everything from then forward has to use the new font seems relevant, especially since Blood Runs in the Family has that different font throughout the entire book...and we already have a quote about why the online strips don't get updated, so this difference is likely to last in perpetuity...and the quote will be useful if anyone wonders/asks about it.

(Can someone with the older books in PDF form verify that they use the new font as well?)

General
    Light and Art
    The art style doesn't show lighting and shading, much like how it doesn't show noses.
    #871 2013/02/26
    Only sometimes. The chamber the comic is currently in seems to be lacking a lot of light sources, for example. I could update the description to point at "generally well-lit until there's a story/joke reason for them to not be", I suppose....

General
    "How the Paladin Got His Scar" is in the New Art Style
    As everything going forward will be, unless it's meant to be inserted in the middle of older art. Also, the story is in grayscale instead of bluescale; because the color-less art's reliance on dark separating lines didn't work out with a single blue color.
    #1042 2016/07/03
    The part where everything not intended to fit inside older art will use the new art style in the future, sound like it'll have ongoing relevance.

General
    Why Some Wounds are Black
    "I often use a mixture of black marks and red ones in order to break up the visuals from being a mass of red lines."
    #1005 2015/09/15
    Art Colors can Change
    Whether because the Giant doesn't like the old color, or because his system doesn't.
    #942 2014/01/28
    Seems to me like they're addressing different aspects, to the point that merging them would be misleading. Having a "colors" subcategory might be okay, since it could pull in the spell colors entry.

Art & Magic
    Meld Into Stone
    Art trumps rules accuracy here in order to show the warping of the spell effect.
    #859 2012/07/26
    Invisibility
    Why the art for invisible characters isn't consistent (utility trumps consistency).
    #706 2010/03/15
    These aspects are even more distinct; the former is about differences between rules text and the comic, the latter is about portraying invisibility differently within the comic. Heck, the original post of that thread referenced invisibility being portrayed differently in the same first panel.

Quote Originally Posted by Writing Category
    Storytelling Mistakes?
    Malack is Ash
    Vampires take their gear with them when they assume gaseous form, but not when they're destroyed.
    #906 2013/07/28
    This one keeps coming up whenever vampires are killed destroyed, and there are still vampires in the comic.

Quote Originally Posted by Writing Category, with alternate URL
    Writing Process
    About Roy Fighting HPoH ( ) at the Godsmoot
    It's the beginning of the arc, not the climax of it.
    #1016 2015/12/19
    Alternate thread sourcing aside, it was also "evident" at the time; that didn't seem to stop it from being questioned enough for the Giant to respond to it.

Quote Originally Posted by Writing Category
    Story Development
    The Girard's Gate Plotline
    Tarquin and the LG are the main adversaries of this book; Team Evil was never going to battle the OOTS at Girard's Gate.
    #906 2013/07/28
    Hm...so you think the title and description are too oblique about the post being about the creative process, even though the post is specifically addressing the "example" of Girard's Gate plotline?
    Last edited by Jasdoif; 2019-04-30 at 11:52 PM.
    Feytouched Banana eldritch disciple avatar by...me!

The Index of the Giant's Comments VI―Making Dogma from Zapped Bananas

11. - Top - End - #1151
    Firbolg in the Playground

I agree with most of what Ron Miel and Jaxzan Proditor have written above in opposing nearly all of the suggested deletions. Exceptions:
    - The thread that the "Roy fighting HPoH at the Godsmoot" quote comes from was removed by moderators for a reason. Using the Wayback Machine to refer to it is a questionable move and may be against forum rules: It's not quite the same as re-starting a previously closed thread, but it's close.
    - For a few quotes, maybe some changes in the title or description text are in order. Examples: The quote about the art style of HtPGhS, and the one about the Girard's Gate plotline.

So, I would agree with some light changes, but nothing like the sweeping removals being proposed.
    Last edited by Gwynfrid; 2019-05-01 at 07:47 AM.

12. - Top - End - #1152

I think using the wayback machine to link to something that was explicitly removed from the board by the moderators is a really bad idea, for my part.

13. - Top - End - #1153
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

I think using the wayback machine to link to something that was explicitly removed from the board by the moderators is a really bad idea, for my part.
    Ditto. Even if it technically isn't against the forum rules (which I doubt) its in bad taste and disrespectful to the mods who removed it.
    “Evil is evil. Lesser, greater, middling, it's all the same. Proportions are negotiated, boundaries blurred. I'm not a pious hermit, I haven't done only good in my life. But if I'm to choose between one evil and another, then I prefer not to choose at all.”

14. - Top - End - #1154

And my axe!

... Er, that is, Im with Kish 'n Keltest.

15. - Top - End - #1155
    Titan in the Playground

I'm gonna say...let me worry about if we can index it; whether we should (still) index it is the bigger question.

16. - Top - End - #1156

Quote Originally Posted by Jasdoif View Post
    I'm gonna say...let me worry about if we can index it; whether we should (still) index it is the bigger question.
    I do think that argument is about the should, and not the can.

17. - Top - End - #1157
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Peelee View Post
    I do think that argument is about the should, and not the can.
    Seems like it's more about the interplay between the two...which is fine; but since I'm not going to go that route without explicit moderator approval anyway, discussion on whether or not it's worth keeping on its own merits will be far more useful to me in the scenario where it could actually remain in the Index.

ETA: ...and I've just been instructed not to take the Wayback Machine route, so it hardly matters; the entry will be removed.
    Last edited by Jasdoif; 2019-05-01 at 02:55 PM.

18. - Top - End - #1158
    Troll in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Ah, that’s fair enough. I didn’t realize the mods had explicitly removed the thread; thought it was more of a 404 sort of situation. So, yeah, probably not a great suggestion on my part.

Peelee’s Lotsey

19. - Top - End - #1159
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Jaxzan Proditor View Post
    Ah, that’s fair enough. I didn’t realize the mods had explicitly removed the thread; thought it was more of a 404 sort of situation. So, yeah, probably not a great suggestion on my part.
    I liked it....And as I mentioned before, should let me worry about whether we can Index it or not...which I have dutifully worried to completion. So, no worries!

Now if I'm not mistaken, with all the posts going by....The accumulated direction seems to oppose removing anything (else), but suggests a couple entries could be reworded:

Entries with a Noticeable Push Towards Rewording
    As everything going forward will be, unless it's meant to be inserted in the middle of older art. Also, the story is in grayscale instead of bluescale; because the color-less art's reliance on dark separating lines didn't work out with a single blue color.
    #1042 2016/07/03
    Tarquin and the LG are the main adversaries of this book; Team Evil was never going to battle the OOTS at Girard's Gate.
    #906 2013/07/28

The former, because "How the Paladin Got His Scar" is no longer a key focus since it's been doubly released (once on its own, once in Good Deeds Gone Unpunished); the latter, because "WHY DIDN'T THE ORDER FIGHT TEAM EVIL" is nowhere near as prevalent as it was when the entry was added, and the writing aspect is less-distracted-from now.

Anyone have specific wording suggestions they want to float?
    Last edited by Jasdoif; 2019-05-02 at 11:57 AM. Reason: DARN YE, ROGUE ITALICS; PLANTS ARE IMMUNE TO PRECISION DAMAGE

20. - Top - End - #1160

I liked it....And as I mentioned before, should let me worry about whether we can Index it or not...which I have dutifully worried to completion.
    Well that's worrying!

21. - Top - End - #1161
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Peelee View Post
    Well that's worrying!
    It was, yes.

22. - Top - End - #1162
    Ogre in the Playground

Why "How the Paladin Got His Scar" is in Greyscale not Bluescale
    The color-less art's reliance on dark separating lines didn't work out with a single blue color.
    -.____________________

23. - Top - End - #1163

BlueWizardGirl

Entries with a Noticeable Push Towards Rewording
    #1042 2016/07/03
    #906 2013/07/28

Anyone have specific wording suggestions they want to float?
    Change "main adversaries of this book" to "main adversaries of book 5" as the current book is no longer Blood Runs in the Family.

—Caerulea
    Extended Signature.

she/her

24. - Top - End - #1164
    Titan in the Playground

Hmm. Now I'm wondering if the parts that look important to me are what anyone else cares about...Oh well, guess I'll give it a shot and see what happens!

Proposed New Wording
    Everything Going Forward will be in the New Art Style
    Unless it's meant to be inserted in the middle of older art. Also, How the Paladin Got His Scar is in grayscale instead of bluescale, because the color-less art's reliance on dark separating lines didn't work out with a single blue color.
    #1042 2016/07/03
    Plotting the Girard's Gate Arc
    "Writing begins with the scenes that I want to have happen, and then I develop stuff around them to make that seem reasonable."
    #906 2013/07/28

Now then...Am I the only one who didn't know this post about Miko existed?
    In #120, she's under the impression that some clearly evil force like a giant demon or something is responsible, so the speech there is mostly grandstanding. Once she sees Durkon explains they are not evil, the bloodlust backs away. She doesn't like them, but she doesn't consider killing them and brings them back to trial. Belkar and the rest have now brought it back, and pushed it to the point of her wanting to kill Good and Neutral characters. She's been pushed beyond what had been a line she didn't cross.

For the record, by the way, Miko's final speech is not swearing revenge; it's more like promising that karma will come back and punish them, and hoping she gets to be there. As in, "I hope you all get found guilty of something and I get to be the one to execute you," not, "I'm going to kill you no matter what happens."

25. - Top - End - #1165
    Ogre in the Playground

ElfRogueGirl

I did not. More information is always useful.

Especially with how often conversations about her come along around here.

26. - Top - End - #1166

I just assumed it was already indexed. At least since the first time I saw it when it came up recently.

27. - Top - End - #1167

Now then...Am I the only one who didn't know this post about Miko existed?
    I thought it had been indexed before, but I could be wrong.
    Last edited by hamishspence; 2019-05-04 at 11:36 PM.
    Marut-2 Avatar by Serpentine
    New Marut Avatar by Linkele

28. - Top - End - #1168

BlueWizardGirl

Include, if it had not been.

—Caerulea
    Extended Signature.

she/her

29. - Top - End - #1169
    Dwarf in the Playground

DwarfBarbarianGuy

I come here thinking the Giant has said something useful recently about the comic but it ends up being a discussion about comments from 2013 and 2016. How long has it been? Does he comment anymore on this stuff? Do we need this thread anymore?

30. - Top - End - #1170

Quote Originally Posted by Syncrogti View Post
    Do we need this thread anymore?
    Yes. This isn't a chronicle of recent comments. In fact, that already exists here.