New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 9 of 49 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151617181934 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #241
    Firbolg in the Playground

Default Re: The Index of the Giant's Comments V―On a Saner Forum, We Wouldn't Need this Index

Keep A,C,D,E

2. - Top - End - #242
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: The Index of the Giant's Comments V―On a Saner Forum, We Wouldn't Need this Index

New page, new vote reminder:
    Quote Originally Posted by Jasdoif View Post
    CALLING FOR CONFIRMATION VOTE ON MULTIPLE QUOTES

The inclusion of the posts below have been challenged. This vote will determine whether they remain in the Index or not.

The quotes are as follows:

Since we've had confusion on this before, the vote will be for which ones to keep, rather than yes or no. Simply vote "keep" for the quotes you support keeping; you don't have to mention ones you want removed (though you can vote "remove" on them if you prefer). If you want to make my job difficult really don't care about particular quotes, you can vote "no opinion" on those.

You can vote individually ("Keep A, Keep C") or in a group ("Keep B, D, E"). "Keep all" is also a valid vote, as is "Remove all". ("No opinion on all" would be the same as not voting.)

• Please bold your vote, it'll make it easier for me to notice when I go through and count everything.
    • The usual suggestion to avoid discussing quotes during the vote does not apply in this case.
    • Per Rule F4, inclusion by vote requires a quote to have two more votes to keep than votes to remove.

Voting will be open until March 16th, 9PM EDT.
    There's a little over six hours left, if you haven't voted yet.
    Feytouched Banana eldritch disciple avatar by...me!

The Index of the Giant's Comments VI―Making Dogma from Zapped Bananas

3. - Top - End - #243
    Barbarian in the Playground

Keep A, E, remove B, C, D. I propose moving E to the "storytelling mistakes?" category.
    Last edited by Joerg; 2016-03-16 at 03:08 PM.
    Ares - Music and sounds system for roleplaying

4. - Top - End - #244
    Troll in the Playground

Remove B, keep the rest.
    Last edited by martianmister; 2016-03-16 at 05:07 PM.
    Spoiler
    Show

5. - Top - End - #245
    Titan in the Playground

OK.

The three entries have been removed from the Index.

Quote Originally Posted by Joerg View Post
    I propose moving E to the "storytelling mistakes?" category.
    I'm not sure an unmentioned detail rises to the level of being, or appearing to be, a "storytelling mistake".

6. - Top - End - #246

I'm not sure an unmentioned detail rises to the level of being, or appearing to be, a "storytelling mistake".
    I think Joerg's suggestion makes sense. The question the quote replies to hints at suspicion of a plot hole. And the Giant's response clearly indicates he felt that way, too.

7. - Top - End - #247

Indeed. And my reasoning is also: out of context it is an unimportant detail that Elan owns two rapiers (and a chaos saber). That's why it was proposed for removal. But the linked quote actually answered the question why Elan could use a rapier even though he lost a rapier earlier. If I'm looking for a quote that answers that question, the "storytelling mistakes" category is where I look first.

8. - Top - End - #248
    Dwarf in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Joerg View Post
    Indeed. And my reasoning is also: out of context it is an unimportant detail that Elan owns two rapiers (and a chaos saber). That's why it was proposed for removal. But the linked quote actually answered the question why Elan could use a rapier even though he lost a rapier earlier. If I'm looking for a quote that answers that question, the "storytelling mistakes" category is where I look first.
    Ah, the line of reasoning is that if I use the index, and looking for this question, then it's because I think I found a storytelling mistake - it just turns out it isn't a mistake. Makes sense. I would agree with this suggestion.

9. - Top - End - #249
    Ettin in the Playground

Actually, none of the things mentioned in the "storytelling mistakes" category are actually mistakes.

10. - Top - End - #250
    Dragon in the Playground Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by littlebum2002 View Post
    Actually, none of the things mentioned in the "storytelling mistakes" category are actually mistakes.
    Well, technically, the category is "storytelling mistakes?", implying that without the quotes, these things could be construed as mistakes, and the quotes help explain why they are not.

That said, I posit that all the things mentioned everywhere else are storytelling mistakes. I've heard that repeating jokes only makes them better.
    Cuthalion's art is the prettiest art of all the art. Like my avatar.

Number of times Roland St. Jude has sworn revenge upon me: 2

11. - Top - End - #251
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Peelee View Post
    Well, technically, the category is "storytelling mistakes?", implying that without the quotes, these things could be construed as mistakes, and the quotes help explain why they are not.

That said, I posit that all the things mentioned everywhere else are storytelling mistakes. I've heard that repeating jokes only makes them better.
    And the thread about Elan's rapier is started with someone implying that Rich made a mistake, and the quote in question is Rich pointing out he didn't.

Just like everything else in that category

12. - Top - End - #252

And the thread about Elan's rapier is started with someone implying that Rich made a mistake, and the quote in question is Rich pointing out he didn't.

Just like everything else in that category
    So it makes perfect sense to put it in Storytelling Mistakes? then.

13. - Top - End - #253
    Ettin in the Playground

So it makes perfect sense to put it in Storytelling Mistakes? then.
    I mean, I think it was a quote created in the same spirit as anything else in that category (someone pointing out a mistake, then being corrected by Rich) so yes.

But I also think it makes perfect sense to keep it in the "items" category as well.

14. - Top - End - #254
    Orc in the Playground

PirateGuy

I mean, I think it was a quote created in the same spirit as anything else in that category (someone pointing out a mistake, then being corrected by Rich) so yes.

But I also think it makes perfect sense to keep it in the "items" category as well.
    It makes more sense in the "Storytelling Mistakes?" though. Let the C&LG thread track the items.

Edit: In fact, it is not a (apparent) clash with D&D rules nor a explanation based on them. It's a (apparent) plot hole with no relation with rules. If Rich had explained it as a Sleight of Hand check, than it would belong where it is.
    Last edited by Pyrous; 2016-03-17 at 08:38 PM.

15. - Top - End - #255
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Gwynfrid View Post
    The question the quote replies to hints at suspicion of a plot hole. And the Giant's response clearly indicates he felt that way, too.
    This would be a much more convincing scenario if the question was actually in the quote. Since it's not, the best case scenario for moving the entry would involve redoing the title and description to make it apparent what sort of supposed discrepancy is resolved...assuming such a move is in fact warranted, which I'm still not convinced of.

"Storytelling Mistakes?" and "Plot Holes" are similar in that they're both responses to critiques of the writing. The difference is that "Storytelling Mistakes" entries are responses about the quality of depictions within the comic, whereas "Plot Holes" are responses to suggestions that the arc of the comic is contradicting earlier arcs of the comic. (That's why the recent afterlife tweets are in Storytelling Mistakes despite the heart of the matter being the apparent contradiction with Roy's memory assessment from earlier; Roy's memory was expressed in an aside that had no bearing on events, so had nothing to do with the arc of the comic).

The two rapiers bit doesn't really fit in either; there really isn't anything unusual in items appearing when needed (unless you're Roy), and Elan having a rapier all of a sudden didn't affect events. Admittedly this could be splitting hairs (instead of bananas, which is both painful and cold), but categorization in general is defining divisions of hairs; it's not always easy to tell if individual hairs are being split or if it's just grouping of multiple hairs. It's not folly, but it could be follicle.

Quote Originally Posted by Pyrous View Post
    Let the C&LG thread track the items.
    ....We track quotes. Whether a particular quote discusses items or not has no bearing on that.
    Last edited by Jasdoif; 2016-03-18 at 01:31 AM.

16. - Top - End - #256

This would be a much more convincing scenario if the question was actually in the quote.
    I don't quite see why that would be more convincing, but it you need that, then, well, the question is indeed in the quote: It's the thread title. Besides, the Giant's "HA!" response can't be explained any other way I can think of. If you read the whole thread (it's not long), it's also very clear a mistake was what the posters had in mind.

Since it's not, the best case scenario for moving the entry would involve redoing the title and description to make it apparent what sort of supposed discrepancy is resolved...assuming such a move is in fact warranted, which I'm still not convinced of.
    I don't think rewriting the description would be indispensable.

17. - Top - End - #257
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Gwynfrid View Post
    I don't think rewriting the description would be indispensable.
    Well, "How Did Elan Get the Rapier In 722 That He Dropped in 714" seems clunky for a title

18. - Top - End - #258
    Ogre in the Playground

For de-cluttering the index, I propose the following two items for deletion

Section: Supporting The Strip

An OOTS "Munchkin" Board Game?
    No current plans for one.

An OOTS Computer Game?
    No current plans for one. See here for more.
    In both cases it was only one person asking. There's no good reason to suppose that he would produce either game. I don't see any point to keeping these.
    -.____________________
    ./___________________()-------Ron Miel
    |...___________________--------sits down
    |..| |_________________()-------and starts
    |..|/__________________--------singing
    | ___________________()-------about gold

19. - Top - End - #259

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Miel View Post

In both cases it was only one person asking. There's no good reason to suppose that he would produce either game. I don't see any point to keeping these.
    Seconded..

20. - Top - End - #260
    Troll in the Playground

Seconded..
    Thirded. Akane x Ranma
    Spoiler
    Show

21. - Top - End - #261
    Orc in the Playground

PirateGuy

Quote Originally Posted by martianmister View Post
    Thirded. Akane x Ranma
    Fourthed..
    "Really? The premature villain gloat? I'm a failure as a parent." - Loki, OotS #1012
    "The good news is that I have absolutely no idea what I'm doing." - Blackwing, OotS #1020

22. - Top - End - #262
    Dwarf in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Miel View Post

I oppose. It still meets the rules, there's no indication it's become redundant, and there's no rule about "only one person asking." Seems like some semblance of a changed circumstance should be necessary before removing, especially when we're still using the lopsided +2 rule to keep things in the index.

23. - Top - End - #263
    Colossus in the Playground

I oppose as well.

24. - Top - End - #264

Particularly the computer game idea is recurring.

25. - Top - End - #265

Quote Originally Posted by Kalmegil View Post
    I oppose. It still meets the rules, there's no indication it's become redundant, and there's no rule about "only one person asking." Seems like some semblance of a changed circumstance should be necessary before removing, especially when we're still using the lopsided +2 rule to keep things in the index.
    Agreed on all counts.

26. - Top - End - #266

The instigation behind the removal of "Haley is not Orrin Draketooth's Daughter" was very similar to the instigation here:
    Quote Originally Posted by Quild View Post
    Has this ever be useful?

27. - Top - End - #267
    Dwarf in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

Even if that were the only reason proposed to remove the Haley/Orrin quote, that wouldn't be a reason to continue in that vein.

In any event, someone pointed to a change in circumstances that could, arguably, be said to render the quote redundant: that familicide did not kill Haley. There's nothing like that for the quotes currently in question.

28. - Top - End - #268
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Even if that were the only reason proposed to remove the Haley/Orrin quote, that wouldn't be a reason to continue in that vein.

In any event, someone pointed to a change in circumstances that could, arguably, be said to render the quote redundant: that familicide did not kill Haley. There's nothing like that for the quotes currently in question.
    At some point we need to ask ourselves: Is the mission of the index being served by retaining this quote? I have personally never seen anyone ask that question in the 2+ years ive been here. If the questions are there and Ive just not seen them, then I guess the answer is yes, the mission is being served. Otherwise, I think were better off taking it out, because its just clutter.
    “Evil is evil. Lesser, greater, middling, it's all the same. Proportions are negotiated, boundaries blurred. I'm not a pious hermit, I haven't done only good in my life. But if I'm to choose between one evil and another, then I prefer not to choose at all.”

29. - Top - End - #269
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Keltest View Post
    At some point we need to ask ourselves: Is the mission of the index being served by retaining this quote? I have personally never seen anyone ask that question in the 2+ years ive been here. If the questions are there and Ive just not seen them, then I guess the answer is yes, the mission is being served. Otherwise, I think were better off taking it out, because its just clutter.
    Total Devil's Advocate here:
    It could also be that no one is asking the question because they find the relevant quote in the Index and therefore don't feel the need to ask it
    Last edited by littlebum2002; 2016-03-24 at 04:23 PM.

30. - Top - End - #270

BardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Keltest View Post
    Wow! Two whole years? And you've read every thread not only in the Order forum but also those related to gaming where this may have come up? Impressive!

[/sarcasm]

Seriously though, we're nine pages into this new thread and most of the discussion has been about removing 'clutter'. As far as this nebulous "mission of the index" is concerned, for some of us that went out the window when voting was introduced. It used to be when the index popped to the top of the list it meant a new quote to read which was useful since I, for one, do not have time to read each and every post myself. But those days are long gone.