Support the GITP forums on Patreon
Help support GITP's forums (and ongoing server maintenance) via Patreon
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Dwarf in the Playground

Default Marillion Adventures [IC]

Part 1 - Unity

You are one of the lucky few currently in residence at Ms Cotters Manor House. Located in a small street of hotel/motels in the transition between the Religious and Low Merchantry districts, this fine establishment is essentially a home for young children. While occasionally an orphan is brought in, most children were simply abandoned or sold by their parents who were too poor to care for them. With low unemployment rates in Marill being quite low, such children are not as common as in other nearby cities.

The house is run by an aging woman, Ms. Cotter, who takes a very active role in management and care of the premises. Being a conversion from an old motel, the house is of 2 levels and contains a main hallway on each level with sleeping rooms branching out on either side. The lower level contains the kitchen and living/ dining rooms along with a few sleeping rooms, while upstairs has only residential rooms and amenities. Being one of the eldest children you are entitled to your own single room upstairs.

The children are not paid any allowances and are indeed expected to work for the privilege of residence. Work varies a great deal and can be anything from general duties around Manor House to manning stalls in nearby marketplaces or even manual labour. The children are well cared for and there have even been instances where tutors are hired to provide a rudimentary education for the children. They are never beaten or abused in any form and any medical requirements are promptly cared for.

The children of Manor House realise they are quite lucky to be there and as such most are well behaved and turn out to be respectable members of society. The (very real) threat of expulsion from the house plays on their mind and is often enough to keep the children in order. Children are taken in are typically around the age of 8 – 10 and will stay at the House for many years to come. Most children are able to secure permanent work or apprenticeships and will leave of their own accord, typically once reaching late teens.

Today is like any other day in Manor House. A some of the older children have been given general duties around the house for the week and most other residents are off carrying out at their allotted tasks. You have all spent the day working, and are no doubt looking forward to coming home in the evening and enjoying a nice warm meal.

Finishing your tasks for the day you are all back at the house approximately at the same time. The line for bathing is a little shorter today as it seems most have returned before you but upon arriving at the dining room you can see that plenty of food has been provided.

As you enter the dining hall, you take up a plate and help yourself to the fare provided. As you each finish collecting your serve, Mrs Cotter calls to you from across the room. She requests you take your meals to her private study as she has something of importance to discuss with the three of you. Ushering you into her private quarters she motions for you to be seated at the table which has already been laid out with cutlery and refreshments.

"Take a seat my dears, I'll just grab a quick plate for myself and be back in a moment"

Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    Please use the setting to have a meal and expand on your characters work for the day as you wait. Feel free to interact with each other and describe the meal/room/anything as you wish.

We will begin once everyone is seated and ready.

Also just to clarify, while I am DM'ing, I will run my character pretty much as a NPC with a character sheet. He will take his actions after you both, or of course if you address him, but I will usually keep his actions as part of my DM posting.
    Last edited by Mellonae; 2016-02-24 at 09:24 PM.
    He's not the throw-lightning-acid-in-your-face kind of Alchemist. He'll just invite you over for Earl Grey, Blueberry Scones and Cucumber Sandwiches. With Arsenic, sorry, oh dear ummm, sorry again, lots of that.

Avatar created by the unquestionably talented Ceika

2. - Top - End - #2
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Re: Marillion Adventures [IC]

Slowly, I sit down and stare out the window thoughtfully. I barely acknowledge anyone else, including Mrs. Cotter on her return. I'm clearly lost in my own thoughts. This is not unusual.

"..."
    Last edited by LastCenturion; 2016-02-28 at 09:42 PM.
    LGBTitP
    Proudly Founded Team 2

"Everyone starts off making garbage.
    If you finally make something halfway
    decent, it'll be the best day of your life."
    Nehra, inventor

3. - Top - End - #3
    Ogre in the Playground

Lettice Barganby

Before I leave the dining hall, I sneak an extra serving of mashed potatoes to my plate. We're obviously in trouble, again; or at least I am.

"what is it this time. .. " I grumble as I walk away. Maybe she discovered that the clothing sales are down in the market lately. But that happens when the warm seasons are approaching: people don't buy the leftover sweater vests, scarves and wool hats in the summer, she knows that!
    "Oh no. . ." What if she found out about my plans for tomorrow night?
    I go with into Mrs. Cotter into her room, fearing the worst, nearly spilling my plate by the doorway.
    I sit by the table, with my plate that seems rather generous in comparison to yours.
    I eat rather quickly, but with Elements of polite behavior.
    "Sho, wosh a shouh inf foh? " she speaks as she chews her food, an element of polite behavior she does not possess.
    Quote Originally Posted by The_Jette View Post
    If you write gibberish in common, even comprehend languages won't turn it into a sonnet.
    P.Z. - gamer; friend; royalty. 'Tis a pleasure.
    <<Cynthia the Witch by me. she's a nice gal, I promise!

My player Resume, for potential DMs to read over.

My Extended Signature

4. - Top - End - #4
    Dwarf in the Playground

Mellon seems quite surprised at Mrs Cotter request. A grin creeps across his face as he picks up his plate and follows the elderly lady into the room.

"Lettuce, please dear. Don't speak with your mouth full. We've spoken about this before." she says as everyone is seated around the table.

"Now dears, I don't have much time so this little meeting will go a bit quicker than I'd like so pay attention." Eyeing Lettuce and her now spilling peas, she continues.

“Each of you have shown great progress of late and I would very much like to see how you function working together.

Now, the job I have in mind is not of the glamorous variety but the pay is sound and it shall be a worthy test of your skills. Please consider this a short trial to see how well you can each work together. If all goes well, perhaps I can arrange further work for you.

Tomorrow morning I wish for you to report to Innkeeper Baern over at the Golden Nugget Inn. I believe it is located across town towards the Western gate. He has advised us he has a pressing issue with rats and while I don’t believe we should be alarmed, my sources indicate it may be more than your standard rodent. I expect you to prepare yourselves as required.”

Regardless, I would greatly appreciate it if you were to see me here tomorrow evening and report to me on how your day progressed.

Now, it’s best you each head off and get some sleep. Tomorrow may be a big day my dears. Unless you have any questions.... ?”

Mellon listens intently, nodding at the appropriate places and popping florets of steamed broccoli into his mouth. "No, questions from me Ma'am. I'm pretty sure I know the one. Big old stone place just a block or so in from the gate. We should find it easy enough."
    Last edited by Mellonae; 2016-03-01 at 03:03 PM.
    He's not the throw-lightning-acid-in-your-face kind of Alchemist. He'll just invite you over for Earl Grey, Blueberry Scones and Cucumber Sandwiches. With Arsenic, sorry, oh dear ummm, sorry again, lots of that.

5. - Top - End - #5

I only half-react to the information, still seeming lost in thought. I don't appear to be completely aware that something is happening.
    yay! finally people are on the IC thread!
    "Okay. Rats. Okay. No questions."

I remain seated until everyone else is standing, not completely noticing even when they are.
    Last edited by LastCenturion; 2016-03-01 at 03:34 PM.
    LGBTitP
    Proudly Founded Team 2

Nehra, inventor

6. - Top - End - #6
    Ogre in the Playground

Lettice quickly swallowed what's in her mouth. "Y-yes, mrs. Cotter." sometimes I forget that Mrs. Cotter is watching me.

"I have a question: What will we be clearing the rats with? I never exterminated rats before. . ."
    If you write gibberish in common, even comprehend languages won't turn it into a sonnet.

My Extended Signature

7. - Top - End - #7

I look to Lettice curiously, roused from my considerations.

"You've never had to deal with animal vermin? It's pretty hard, because there are usually so many of them. The key is making sure that none get away, because even just two rats can turn into a lot if you don't know that they're still alive."
    Last edited by LastCenturion; 2016-03-01 at 04:56 PM.
    LGBTitP
    Proudly Founded Team 2

Nehra, inventor

8. - Top - End - #8
    Dwarf in the Playground

A broad smile crosses Mrs Cotter face. "Indeed Olivia. Only two rats can make a plague.

Now, Mellon and Olivia here are I'm sure well equipped to deal with them in a relatively standard fashion. As for you dear Lettice I'm sure you will be quite handy with their extermination."

Looking Lettice in the eyes she says "I think you will find these two here open minded enough to accept whatever assistance you choose provide.

Any more questions my dears?"
    Last edited by Mellonae; 2016-03-01 at 05:52 PM.

9. - Top - End - #9

I glance curiously at Lettice

"None from me."
    LGBTitP
    Proudly Founded Team 2

Nehra, inventor

10. - Top - End - #10
    Dwarf in the Playground

"No, well right then, off to sleep my dear poppets." Mrs Cotter says, standing up and clearing the table.

Leaving your dishes behind, you each head up to your room for the night.

The following morning you are each up bright and early. The scent of a nice fresh breakfast wafts into your room rousing you to the new day.

Down in the dining hall, you find Mellon, eagerly tucking into a fresh bowl of berries and cream. He calls you each over to his table as you appear, obviously wanting to have your company for breakfast. "Morning friends, You both have a good sleep? Feels I spent half the night damned polishing my old chainmail. Shouldn't have let it go that long."

"Anyway, I'm sure I know the place old Mrs C was talking about. We should be there in no time. If we head west down Schulters Lane, we can cut through the Rainbow Markets and be there real quick."

Spoiler: Nights Events (Homework)
    Show
    Right then, sorry I have kept these GM posts a little short. Would be nice to fill them out a bit but my time is short ATM. Anyways, I just have a bit of Homework for you both when you have the time.

Olivia - Following your dismissal from Mrs C, you had a poor rest that night. You had great trouble sleeping and experienced a very vivid dream. Please describe it as you see fit (if you want to do it in this thread, sure, if you want to put it in Lore, whatevs. Depends if you want to tell Mellon and Lettice about it.

Lettice - You aren't so sure on heading through the Rainbow markets following an unfortunate incident that you were involved in a few weeks back. Feel free to elaborate. Maybe the Markets are a no go zone for you, or perhaps you might just want to keep your head down. Up to you.

Also if you don't like these little bits of homework, just tell me to bugger off and that's fine too.
    Last edited by Mellonae; 2016-03-03 at 05:07 AM.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Ogre in the Playground

"I slept alright, I suppose. Eat up, gang. We need to be in tip-top shape today." I eye Mellon's breakfast. For some reason it looks richer than mine. Unfortunately, sneaking food from breakfast has yet to be successful. From my experience, The breakfast-duty kids are the worst little tattletales under the roof.

And then Mellon suggested to go to the rainbow market, that is a bad idea. A few weeks back on a Wednesday, was yet another slow day, when I decided to use some of my spare earnings to buy a bottle of perfume in the rainbow market. I tried to use a touch of illusion to make the perfume appear like a cheaper bottle of oil. And just as I asked how much does the "oil" cost, my beautiful black hair fell off, until my head was bald as an egg. All eyes turned to me, and the illusion fizzled away. I simply dropped everything and ran home in tears. It was the most humiliating experience in my life! I was the talk of the town for long after my hair grew back. And Mrs. Cotter was so disappointed. . .
    "that is a fantastic plan! You really are good with this planning. " I smile, that smile became momentarily solemn. "We can't go through the Rainbow markets, though, It's umm... Not safe! ". I traces my fingers on the table, as if it were a map.
    "What if instead of turning West at Schulters Lane, we continue South and make the west turn through Manto Boulevard, hop the fence into Sigil Park, and proceed North to where we need to go. it's a bit of a circle around but we should get there safely."

Show
    you decide whether you spot the problems with Lettice's aversion unless you can't decide and we would settle it with a wisdom (insight) contest against my Charisma (deception) . But I'll point them out anyway: It's rather uncharacteristic of her to worry about safety. Also, that's a significant detour.
    Last edited by Prince Zahn; 2016-03-03 at 06:14 AM.

My Extended Signature

12. - Top - End - #12

I eat breakfast quietly, deep in thought. I had a strange dream last night, and while I can't stop thinking about it, I don't want to tell anyone about it.
    Spoiler: In the dream
    Show
    In the dream, I found myself first as a villain, tearing through a city causing destruction and death. Next, I found myself as one of the people doomed to die at the hands of my previous form. Finally, I was in the body of a hero, standing up to and defeating my foe. I can feel that the dream is relevant to my life, but I don't know how.

I leave my mind at the discussion of routes, still remembering the hair fiasco.

I grin."What's wrong with Rainbow Market? It's so big as to be the only practical way, and it's so populated as to be completely safe. Unless you were planning to break laws on the way past?"

Show
    I actually had a really weird dream, and then I wake up to a post about how my character had a really weird dream. What. I also adapted my RL dream to this. (The real dream involved dinosaurs and AT-STs. Don't judge me.)
    Last edited by LastCenturion; 2016-03-03 at 08:22 AM.
    LGBTitP
    Proudly Founded Team 2

Nehra, inventor

13. - Top - End - #13
    Dwarf in the Playground

Mellon shrugs his shoulders. "I don't mind which way we go hey. I'm sure there won't be any trouble at the Markets though Letts, don't know why you are worried really.

Cutting down past Sigil Park is a bit longer but I spose it gets us there. Oh and there are those cool swans with the really freaky eyes."
    he says wiggling his fingers in front of his eyes.

He goes back to his breakfast content to let the others decide which path to take.
    Last edited by Mellonae; 2016-03-04 at 03:28 PM.

14. - Top - End - #14
    Ogre in the Playground

"excuse me, but the rainbow markets are absolutely not safe. What about uhm... The, Uhm... The pavement! The path is very unsteady, one of us could fall and break a tooth! Or worse - we could get separated by all the people, and you might get kidnapped by a. . . a snake charmer, or something, Olivia." I fiddle with my fingers and stutter, clearly paranoid, but is that really what bothers me?

I stand up, my breakfast bowl licked clean except for the gorgonberries on the side, I never liked gorgonberries.
    "Point is, I'm getting there through Sigil park. I welcome you to join me; the birds won't judge, at least."
    Show
    when playing Lettice here, I feel like whenever Rachel from Friends gets put in a corner: petty, manipulative, lying badly, desperately struggling to avoid awkward situations, usually tempted to succumb to peer pressure, and anyways trying to win with the moral high ground, even if I have to slam the door in somebody's face to get it. . . you get the point.
    Last edited by Prince Zahn; 2016-03-04 at 04:49 PM.

My Extended Signature

15. - Top - End - #15

"Yes. You can easily lose track of the seven foot tall silver person trying to keep track of you. Absolutely. I mean, if you want to go through the park you risk getting mugged by squirrels, to say nothing of the tree attacks, but if you really want to, I'll go."
    Last edited by LastCenturion; 2016-03-05 at 02:52 PM.
    LGBTitP
    Proudly Founded Team 2

Nehra, inventor

16. - Top - End - #16
    Ogre in the Playground

I slam my hand on our table. "look, I'm NOT going back there, alright?

"Either you go to the stupid rainbow market, or come with me through sigil Park, I don't care anymore, I'm heading out."
    I groan audibly as I storm out of the dining hall, going quickly to my room to grab my knapsack... And a hat - it's cold out.
    Last edited by Prince Zahn; 2016-03-05 at 04:11 PM.

My Extended Signature

17. - Top - End - #17

I glance at Mellon, and shrug, visibly grinning at this display of temper.

"Honestly, I don't really like the market; too many people. I just wanted to see her blow up like that. You ready to go?

I walk towards to door, not bothering to put on heavy clothes. I pick up my bow and quiver from where I put them near the door. I stand just outside, waiting for the others.

Spoiler: OoC
    Show
    If you can't tell, I'm playing Olivia as quite CG. It's honestly my favorite alignment.
    Last edited by LastCenturion; 2016-03-05 at 04:06 PM.
    LGBTitP
    Proudly Founded Team 2

Nehra, inventor

18. - Top - End - #18
    Dwarf in the Playground

Shaking his head at Olivia, Mellon finishes his breakfast and stands. Quickly he ducks upstairs to fetch his pack and heads outside the meet the others.

"I hope you two are prepared to work together today." he says, locking eyes with Olivia. "Anyway, come on you pair, we have some rats to kill."

The trio set off into the city, seemingly eager to prove their worth to Mrs Cotter. Heading off Manton Boulevard they cut into Sigil Park and walk together enjoying the greenery. This large plot of land seems out of place in the dense urban confines of the city. Acting as an unofficial Botanical Gardens the park lays claim to a very broad range of unusual botanic specimens. The lake the covers the central region of the park hosts a small gift shop and café on its southern banks. Great shady oak trees line the lake, providing a relaxing spot for the populace to enjoy.

Heading out of the northern gate, the group step onto Preachers Road and continue north toward the Golden Nugget. Getting this close to the Western Gate means the streets get a little busier. Carts laden with produce stream past you, deeper into the city, and the sidewalk around you bustles with those off to earn a days wages.

Approaching a rather busy intersection Mellon looks around getting his bearings. "Should only be another block or so this way." Mellon calls out, gesturing in a Northern direction. Crossing the street and continuing north, the trio is jostled as the crowds all move to avoid the carts unfortunate (or silly) enough to use Preachers Road on their route.

Show
    Can I get a roll for you both as you cross the street.

Centurion could you please describe the contents of the carts passing us by as well as any other fluff you think we may enjoy.
    PZ could you please cover a description of the outside of the Golden Nugget. Please take us to the front door and remember it is a stone building.
    Last edited by Mellonae; 2016-03-06 at 09:48 AM.

19. - Top - End - #19

Dexterity save is (1d20+2)[6]. As we pass, we see carts full of the usual things going past. Apples, Jugs of milk, and grain all roll through in bulk. And... a cart full of weapons. Another full of what looks to be chainmail sheets, but is probably armor. These carts pass through towards the city centre, moving significantly faster than there seems to be a need to go. On the other side of the street, a cart lies broken, sheep's wool flooding out. The passerby either move to avoid the cart, or seem to ignore it, helping themselves to some wool on the way by. The owner of the cart is distracted, trying to fix the fallen wheel.

"Is it me, or is this road busier than usual? I don't think I've ever seen so many people moving in one place."

Spoiler: OoC
    Show
    EDIT: That roll is so bad... There's no way I succeded.
    Last edited by LastCenturion; 2016-03-07 at 04:39 PM.
    LGBTitP
    Proudly Founded Team 2

Nehra, inventor

20. - Top - End - #20
    Dwarf in the Playground

Show
    Right O.

So my last post was written at just past 1AM while feeding the baby. I'll try not to do that again as I missed a few important points. I was intending to ask for a Perception roll, but managed to miss that detail out completely. Hope you don't mind Centurion, I am just converting your roll to Perception. I promise I will be more direct next time.

"Indeed, it is much busier than I had ..." Mellon halts mid sentence. Spinning on his heel he turns to come face to face with a small child of approximately 11 years. Grubby in both face and clothing the child visibly gasps before immediately dashing off, nimbly dodging its way through the crowd in a well practiced fashion. Seeing the child flee, you also notice that a handful of other children, equally impoverished, vacate the scene with haste.

"Cheeky little bastard had his hands in my coin purse!" Mellon exclaims to his friends. "Thankfully there are certain benefits to being poor. Little buggers might want to pick on someone with some coin next time." he continues, upending his empty coin pouch with a chuckle.

You guys missing anything?" he asks.

Spoiler: Tricksy Theives
    Show

Mellon and Lettice have no items missing. Olivia has had a short sword removed from her side.

21. - Top - End - #21

I lightly rap places over my pockets and clothing, feeling for my items.

"I don't think so, and I wouldn't care much if I was. Those children looked poor as anything. Ready to kill rats in return for money?"

Show
    I rolled privately, and decided that Olivia doesn't realize that she's missing anything yet. More roleplay fun later.

I stride smoothly and quickly through the door in front of us.
    Last edited by LastCenturion; 2016-03-09 at 07:23 PM.
    LGBTitP
    Proudly Founded Team 2

Nehra, inventor

22. - Top - End - #22
    Ogre in the Playground

I frisk myself, even in places you wouldn't expect me to keep things.

"No. . . Nothing was taken from me. . . should have payed more attention, though."

Once we get there, I knock on the door. Doubly so of Olivia already knocked.
    Last edited by Prince Zahn; 2016-03-10 at 12:05 AM.

My Extended Signature

23. - Top - End - #23
    Dwarf in the Playground

"Seriously you pair, knocking at a tavern?" Mellon scoffs playfully as he gently eases past the pair and opens the door of the great stone building.

The Golden Nugget stands proud amongst the buildings nearby, the only in the street to be fashioned purely of stone. Even a casual observer would notice that the craftsmanship of the masonry is of a high standard. Those with an appreciation would see that this building would be one of only a handful in the city to have such quality stonework.

Entering the tavern the warmth of the hearth hits you, even at this early hour of the morning. Lower than standard ceilings and a further prominence of stonework give the tavern a decidedly dwarven feel. The first tavern is quite bright, lit by the hearth and a myriad of torches mounted on the walls. The light scattering of windows are all but shuttered up with heavy curtains pulled tight.

Only a few patrons grave the taverns common room at this hour. A trio of hairy figures are seated at a booth in the far corner and a solitary dwarf is perched at a barstool, discussing matters with the barman. Well they were discussing something, but the arrival of our party has somewhat interrupted them. With a dismissing gesture to the seated dwarf, the barman heads out from behind the counter to greet the group.

A pleasant dwarf introduces himself to you as Bearn. "Well met friends.” He says. “I had expected a prompt response but we’ll, this is better than I could have hoped.”

Following these formalities Mellon asks if this is the establishment with the minor rodent issue. With a blush he admits quietly that he has been having some issues with rodents of late. Guiding you to a private booth in a nice quiet corner, he takes a seat and tells you of his troubles.

“See now, it all began a week or so ago when a strange elvish chap arrived and wanted a bed for the night. Nothing strange about that but see, this one, well he wanted a night in the basement. I of course tried to convince him that one of our regular suites would be much more to his tastes but he wouldn’t be swayed. Why, he offered even more coin for the privilege. Well, I recall it was a quiet week, so I accepted as I needed the coin and I went off and set up a small cot for him just down the stairs.

Well he must have enjoyed his stay as he complemented me on my establishment over breakfast the following morning before he went on his way. Now, I made sure to check all was well down there as I packed away his cot and he dared not touch a single bottle on the shelves. See I told him to stay in the room I had laid out for him as a young gnomish chap had provided me with some new moderné anti-theft devices a while back. As far as I could see he had a restful night in his cot and was on his way in the morning.

Now, we occasionally have seen a small rat or two down in our storerooms, which tavern in all of Marill hasn’t, but since the night that damned elf stayed down there, well it’s all gotten a bit silly. I went to fetch a fresh keg two nights past and I am sure there were three of four of those damn pests down there. One of them gave me a good nip as I hurried out and I swear I saw something else down there. Something bigger. My poor serving gals refuse to even open the damn door for me now, let alone fetch fresh stock.

Anyway, if you are keen to take a look for me, I can crack the cellar door for you.”
    He finishes, with a hopeful look in his eyes.

Show
    Wow. Sorry about the color I chose for his speech. Owww my retinas.
    Anyway, if you have any questions, best pipe up now.

24. - Top - End - #24
    Ogre in the Playground

why did I... ?
    I stop to mouth aword to herself and think, but quickly dismiss it as Bearn discusses his rat problems.
    "You have to be careful with rich folk, sir. There's always a catch when they're acting generous. " I lay my pack on the chair.
    "how did this elf pay you? Did he give you foreign coins or somethin'?
    "Either way, we'll be happy to help you, sir - you can count on us!"

My Extended Signature

25. - Top - End - #25

I lean forward, very interested in this. My hands press against the table as I question the innkeep.

"Is this the only strange thing you noticed around that time? If there are others, it could give us a clue about stopping them. Could I speak to the serving girls as well?

Spoiler: ooc
    Show
    I have no idea what skill I would use here... maybe just insight? (1d20+1)[12] or maybe a straight Charisma check (1d20-1)[18]
    LGBTitP
    Proudly Founded Team 2

Nehra, inventor

26. - Top - End - #26
    Dwarf in the Playground

Bearn looks greatly relieved as you all offer your assistance. Sighing with relief he composes himself and begins to answer your questions.

"Thank you friends, thank you.

Now, this elf, see he paid me in standard coinage. It looked just fine so I didn't check it over. Seems to have spent itself well enough though as I purchased new stock with his coin a few night back.

As for anything strange, well he was the only thing that stands out. He was a little odd himself, I mean he is an elf, see he came in here all decked out for travel, a big backpack and such. Didn't think much of it with the way he spoke of all his journeys and such. Nothing else about him really stood out. To be truthful, if it weren't for him staying the night down there I wouldn't even really think he had anything to do with it. I even went over and asked around the guardhouse at West Gate a night or two back and noone seems to recall seeing an elf like him pass through.

Mellon nods his head through all of this keenly listening to the Dwarf. Tapping his chin he asks "Also, you mentioned some anti-theft devices. Is that anything we need be worried about if we head downstairs?"

The dwarf sucks in a little air through his teeth and says "Yes actually. It's probably best you know about that. See that damned little gnome was a little vague with his descriptions and such. I know it's on one of the doorways down there and that there's a trigger stone on the floor. Told me the flagstone to avoid looks like a six-pointed dwarven star crown. The stone is down there somewhere, it keeps bloody changing every time I go down there. Myself and the other dwarf gals can pick it out right quick enough though.

Ahhh as for the gals, see they don't work mornings. You are welcome to have a chat with whomever you like but they won't be in till after lunch sorry."

Spoiler: Olivia OOC
    Show
    As far as you can tell Baern speaks honestly and he seems eager to provide you with any information you requested.

27. - Top - End - #27
    Ogre in the Playground

"He might've kept the rats in his pack." I mumble.

"What sort of clothes did the elvish fellow wear? Did he wield magic? And was he handsome?

My Extended Signature

28. - Top - End - #28

I turn to Lettice, thinking quickly.

"We aren't sure that this elf was the cause of the rats; we should deal with the problem at hand before looking at the cause. When someone is sick, do you try and cure the disease before making sure the sickness won't kill her first?"

I decisively turn back to the innkeep.

"I would definitely like to speak with your servers, but as noon isn't for several hours, We should try to deal with the rats first."
    Speaking to the group, "Anybody object to moving downstairs?
    LGBTitP
    Proudly Founded Team 2

Nehra, inventor

29. - Top - End - #29
    Dwarf in the Playground

Turning to Lettice the barman states "Pretty enough fellow if i recall correctly, though I don't recall anything strange about his dress or bearing. Standard travelling attire really. Nice cotton shirt and a stout pair of breeches. As for magic, well I don't have the kenning' of anything like that so even if he did I wouldn't be able to tell you. He certainly didn't come in here with a magic staff waving mystic runes around if you know what I mean."

"Thank you for your time this morning Master Bearn" Mellon replies. "I am inclined to agree with Olivia; we may as well get in and solve the problem at hand before looking for a culprit. Perhaps by the time we are done the girls will be here to answer some questions."

I'm happy to head on downstairs if you are Letty?"

Show
    Just want to make sure everyone is good to head on down.

30. - Top - End - #30

Show
    ...We're falling into the classic adventurer's fallacy: "pleading with authority figures to allow complete strangers to handle a serious crisis", i.e. we're assuming that we should investigate it because hey, plot hook. Just thought I should point that out...

I get up, thinking hard but sharing nothing. As I walk over to the staircase, I begin muttering inaudibly.
    LGBTitP
    Proudly Founded Team 2

Nehra, inventor