New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 32 123456789101126 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Colossus in the Playground

Default Rise of the Runelords, Part I: Burnt Offerings [IC]

The Goblin Squash Stables stands in southern Sandpoint, not far from the bridge leading to the town from the Lost Coast Road. In addition to serving as a stables to the community the business is owned and operated by an individual with a reputation that borders on legend, one Daviren Hosk. It is one of the first stables one encounters when coming from that road, and as such it is in an enviable location.

The sign above this door perpetuates one of the greatest fears of the lowly goblin—being trampled underfoot by a horse. Tended by a retired hunter named Daviren Hosk, Daviren’s hatred of goblins is nearly legendary in Sandpoint. In a somewhat grisly display, over the entrance to the stable’s covered barn is his collection of goblin ears: preserved and nailed to three different rafters, each bearing the goblin’s name burned into the leathery flesh—mostly because Daviren knows that writing down a goblin’s name is one of the worst things you can do to desecrate his memory. The bitter ranger’s pride and joy is a large glass bottle filled with brine in which he’s preserved the body of Chief Whartus of the now extinct (due in large part to Daviren and Caedmon's father) Bonegrinder Tribe.

"... and that's how your old man, Terence Merrill, saved my bacon against that thrice-cursed goblin shaman." Daviren looks wistfully to better days as a younger man, recounting his debt to the strapping man in front of him. His smile trails off some to some smoky memory, then slowly regains his blood-mirth. "Took your dad three days to die from the poison, we didn't have no proper healer. But I never done seen a man do so much with an ailing body in that time. We all owed him our skins."

He slams his hand down on the counter. "Hot damn, if you aren't the spittin' image of Terry, young Caddy! You've a face like an ogre, but 'rastil's beard if you don't have the shoulders to match!"

He guides the young man around the stables to a powerfully-built liver chestnut (darkest chestnut) horse with a wide, white blaze that goes from the top ofthe face down to the muzzle. "Well, here's what I got for ya'. This here's Caulfield, easily the best heavy warhorse I got in here. He's yours ... with military saddle, full tack and harness, blanket, saddlebags. You can stable Caulfield here at the Goblin Squash whenever your want - free of charge - and at no cost for feed, blueing, and if needed, shoeing, for the life of the horse. I'll give you 30 days of feed - however and whenever you want it, but up to that point - for trips on the road. After that, however, anything that's not stabling here will cost you. Travel feed is a bit more expensive since it's more compact than hay."

He smiles before becoming more pointed. "Of course, a mount like this isn't happy to trot in pastures, and it just so happens, afore you come into Sandpoint, we've been having troubles aplenty with goblins. The disrupted the Swallowtail Festival when the new cathedral was gettin' dedicated, causing more havoc than anything but killing a few folks. There's a goblin what holed up in a man's house and murdered him. The worst tragedy is that a bastard traitor to his father and our town took up with goblins, slaughtered his pop and all the workers of the glass factory, and made a right mess of things.

"Turns out a couple mercenaries discovered that this goblin tribe is looking to make the moves on us. The sheriff left for Magnimar to the south to seek out aid, and he deputized those adventurers to look into things whiles he's gone. Just so happens they came back into town - minus one of their number, a local witch who had a falling out with them - and with the help of one of our own area's goblin hunters, scored a blow against the Thistletop goblins. Now, lessen you just wearing heavy armor and carrying a fancy sword and you don't have none of your father's fire, I'm sure you go to the jail and they'll give you a job if it suits you. Just saying. Otherwise, looks like yer road-worn, so I'd say head to the Rusty Dragon for good quality place to stay without being robbed. Poor Miss Kaijutsu - the proprieter - is the one whose brother is the traitor and whose father was killed - so she could use the business since the family fortune's gonna take a hit, no doubt. Just suggestions, mind you, lessen you takin' Caulfield to seek better fortunes elsewhere.

"And don't worry ... you didn't introduce yourself with your family name at first. My guess is yer makin' yer own way without tryin' to live in your old man's shadow. I won't say nothing."

Quote Originally Posted by Savior View Post
    Caedmon

With a hand outstretched to the older man, Caedmon smiled a bright young smile. "I really appreciate this Mr. Hosk. I know you and he were close, and I'll do my best to try to live up to what he and Bryce left for me. Sounds like this goblin fiasco will be just that starting point. I'll leave Caulfield here for tonight, come get her in the morning." After the depature, Caedmon makes his way to the Rusty Dragon to go speak with a Ms. Kaijutsu.
    11APR2024: Completed reading Paizo's Pathfinder Campaign Setting: Demons Revisited (2013, Jacobs).
    28JAN2024: Completed reading TPK Games' The Deductionist (2013, Everhart). This source is authorized for playtest.
    Spoiler: Player Status
    Show
    ClasyCrow: On hiatus through 11MAY2024.

2. - Top - End - #2

Default Re: Rise of the Runelords, Part I: Burnt Offerings [IC]

The Rusty Dragon

This large structure is Sandpoint’s oldest inn, notable for the impressive (and quite rusty) iron dragon that looms on the building’s roof, doubling as a lightning rod and decoration. Owned and operated for the past six years by the lovely and popular Ameiko Kaijitsu, the Rusty Dragon is not only one of the town’s most popular eateries (made so, in large part, by the spicy and exotic food served here), but also a great place to meet visitors from out of town, since most newcomers to Sandpoint come upon this inn first, the north Lost Coast Road being less traveled. It certainly doesn’t hurt that Ameiko’s exotic beauty is more than matched by her skill at music, and few are the evenings that pass without at least two or three songs by the talented woman. Some bad blood exists between Ameiko and Cyrdak (a bard of local prominence that runs a theater), and one never seems to miss a chance to badmouth the other, but no one in town really understands the reason behind their rivalry.

Of greater concern to Ameiko is the long-running feud with her family—leaving town to become an adventurer scandalized her family enough, but when she returned, rich and successful (and with a seemingly endless supply of eccentric hairstyles), with a desire to purchase and renovate Sandpoint’s oldest tavern, her family officially took to shunning her. Ameiko claims not to care, but becomes evasive when anyone asks her why she returned to Sandpoint when she was obviously doing well as an adventurer. Some believe she has a secret lover in town, while others theorize that something happened on her last adventure that took the bravery out of her. In any event, the Rusty Dragon is probably the most adventurer-friendly establishment in town, with its ubiquitous “Help Wanted” board near the bar and Ameiko’s “discount rooms for anyone who tells an exciting adventure story” policy.
    Spoiler: Ameiko Kaijutsu image
    Show
    11APR2024: Completed reading Paizo's Pathfinder Campaign Setting: Demons Revisited (2013, Jacobs).
    28JAN2024: Completed reading TPK Games' The Deductionist (2013, Everhart). This source is authorized for playtest.
    Show

3. - Top - End - #3
    Bugbear in the Playground

Caedmon

The young adventurer walks in with heavy shoulders and a soft scrunch to his face. He isn't quite used to being around a bustling area just yet. He finds a path to the main counter, wishing to meet this Ms. Kaijutsu and ask for a room.

4. - Top - End - #4

You see whom this Kaijutsu must obviously be. You don't know Tian or any of those exotic far eastern languages, but you recognize that he name is such, specifically Minkai ... though you don't know what profit that knowledge gets you. Sure enough, a woman of exotic beauty with interesting, smaller eyes comes to find you once you mention you are looking for her. "Ameiko Kaijutsu, sir. Welcome to Sandpoint. How can I help you?"
    Show

5. - Top - End - #5

Caedmon

Caedmon starts with a smile and an extended hand. His sword sheathed and shield courted on his back with his pack slung over a shoulder. My name is Caedmon, Mr. Hosk sent me here, saying you were good people and to come to you if I needed a room. And, I just so happen to need a room for the night.
    Last edited by Savior; 2016-02-25 at 07:33 PM.

6. - Top - End - #6

"Go see the hostess over there," she nods towards the woman so Caedmon can pick her out. "A room is only 5 silver. If you want a bath ... which I suggest, 2 copper pinches gets you a cold bath, 6 copper will get you a hot one. Meals will run you a silver sail to five, depending on what you want. Drinks cost extra."
    Show

7. - Top - End - #7

Caedmon

The young man blinked and retracted his hand. "Sorry to have bothered you for no reason then." And with that, Caedmon followed the advice and moved to the hostess, asking for a room, a meal with water, and a cold bath. He hands her a gold piece with a smile.

8. - Top - End - #8

"Will you be wanting to see your room first and have a bath to get the road off ya'?" the hostess asks. "We've got good entertainment tonight, so's I understand. Might want to polish a bit since a good show brings the farmer's daughters to town."
    Show

9. - Top - End - #9

Caedmon

"That would be lovely, Miss."

10. - Top - End - #10

Anything special once you get your room and your bath is poured (and after the bath)?
    Show

11. - Top - End - #11

((I'd assume I don't need anything, the meal comes next, so don my armor set my bag down and get my sword and shield.))

12. - Top - End - #12

The room is nice, the bath is nice, but your meal is ... spare: a husk of bread, a very basic stew, and water. Not at all what you might have expected.
    Show

13. - Top - End - #13

Caedmon

Quite content with humble food, he smiles and leaves for the common area, wanting to mingle with any of the other new to town people, or these so called farmer's daughters. Caedmon can't help but smile at the last notion.

14. - Top - End - #14
    Ogre in the Playground

Celiss will enter the Rusty Dragon with her companions and order up a meal for the table.
    Current Games
    Curse of the Crimson Throne: Dušana Essert(Zeta), & Fathi (Phi) and Hülya (Eta) Sharif of House al-Din
    Legacy of Fire: Water Prince Rafiq Karim
    Rise of the Runelords: Keghart Valdemar & Valbard the Velociraptor
    Savage Tide: Rabbi Eliezer "Lazer" Whuraili Cohen ben Mordechai of Clan Ironoath of Oriadeth
    Serpent's Skull: Harsk! (yes, that one)
    Shattered Star: Lilim
    Strange Aeons: Dorn

15. - Top - End - #15

A quick scan of the room, and you see a sellsword that's a new fixture ... all the road is cleaned off him and he sports some nice, heavy armor (banded mail), a shield across his back, and what looks to be a fine longsword by his side. He sports no livery, tabard, or marking of any kind that really shows him to be in service to another ... though his shield (once you see it) does have a device. He's all alone. Definitely some manner of sellsword, mercenary, or adventurer.
    Show

16. - Top - End - #16
    Ettin in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

On the far side of the room sits a pair of adventurers. The first, the older male, appearing to be around the age of thirty, was dressed in a fine pair of robes with a thoughtful intelligent look on his face. He and his companion both share a similar look, almost as if they were siblings, although a closer look can see an almost ethereal ring, and a strange gauntlet that seems to be normally hidden by his sleeve. Despite the fact that they are visible, you are almost sure that they aren't actually there, just a trick of the eye, even.

"For the last time Rose, our magic isn't for that kind of use. Its bad enough that you've taken up THAT sphere of magic, don't make us more enemies than we need."

The young lady he is talking to shares his general look, but unlike her brother, she is armored in a a well made chain shirt, with a fancy staff strapped to her back. She occasionally looks at the seat next to hers, one that is empty, and talks to it quietly before turning back to her brother, whispering to her brother as though she didn't wish to be heard by anyone else.
    Kitten: *bats around a mini a few times*
    DM: "Ok, it looks like Fluffy...err, 'The Tarrasque'...Full Attacks the Cleric"
    Cleric: "Full attack my a**, that was just two claw attacks!"
    Kitten: *starts gnawing on the mini*
    Cleric: "...nevermind."

17. - Top - End - #17

Caedmon will sit at the bar counter by himself, asking for a refill of water every so often. Although polite and kind, the young knight has no idea how to strike conversation. Instead, the tall young man clad in armor took the index and thumb fingers of his left hand and spun the silver band that lay on his right hand. His shield stayed tight on the center of his shoulder blades while his sword was close at hip on the left side. He kept his shoulder length light brown hair pulled to the back and knotted like he always does.
    Last edited by Savior; 2016-02-26 at 02:44 PM.

18. - Top - End - #18
    Ogre in the Playground

A woman walks right up to the man in banded mail at the bar [Caedmon]. She comes close to six feet, and is of a solid, athletic build. She's not bad-looking, but doesn't really seem to take focus in her looks. Her rust-brown hair is tied in a tight braid and behind her. She seems to be in her mid- to upper-20s. Her brown eyes are simple, and neither piercing, beady, nor over-searching. She wears no armor, and has a very fine rapier at her side.

"Not often a man not a soldier or caravan guard as outfitted as you comes strolling through town. One wise enough to not enjoy a drink when alone in a strange place. What's your business here, friend?"
    Current Games
    Curse of the Crimson Throne: Dušana Essert(Zeta), & Fathi (Phi) and Hülya (Eta) Sharif of House al-Din
    Savage Tide: Rabbi Eliezer "Lazer" Whuraili Cohen ben Mordechai of Clan Ironoath of Oriadeth

19. - Top - End - #19

Caedmon, turned the 90 degrees required to face the woman. The dual color of both blue and green nearly swirled to thought who saw it up close. With a nod, the young knight began to speak. "I only recently began travel. Before I was student and squire to a brilliant man and great friend. My wandering lead me here, and just in time to find help needed, and adventure to be had. Not to sound rude, but I always knew it to be polite to introduce once self before striking up conversation. The young man had a coy smirk whilst taking a long sip of water.

20. - Top - End - #20
    Ogre in the Playground

The woman shrugs. "Perhaps, but being challenged in any manner usually doesn't carry those niceties with it. Acting Sheriff Nightrom ...." she lets that hanging, waiting for his name.
    Current Games

21. - Top - End - #21

"My name is Caedmon, ma'am." With his words, the young knight offered his right hand for the gritty woman to shake, if she chose to.

22. - Top - End - #22

A fireplug of a half-orc comes over to the Bolt Bench. "Hey, dere, pretty lady. You looks like you need a real man to protect ya, not this milksop. Or's he your valley?"
    Show

23. - Top - End - #23
    Ettin in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Rose gives the Half-Orc an angry glare. She speaks quietly, mumbling, but still barely audible enough for him to hear her. "Do you value your manhood? Leave me be."

Rellin sighs and places his hand on his sisters. "Sir, with all due respect, my sister here is a strong fighter in her own right. Please leave her be. The last thing either of us want is for her to lay you out here in the pub. And I'm the last person that can stop her if she goes off on you like that." He speaks calmly, with the friendliest tone he can manage, hoping to dissuade the stranger from upsetting his sensitive...and possibly crazy, sister.

24. - Top - End - #24

Caedmon, in his nervous habit of scanning a room thousands of times, notices the half-orc giving a hard time. He sits on the thought of helping for now, seeing the anger in the woman's posture.

25. - Top - End - #25

"I wooden want dat, eeder," he says, closing in with a leer, "I radder we lay each udder in and out in my room."
    Show

26. - Top - End - #26

Caedmon pardoned himself from the rather nicely built woman to go to the disturbed table with the drunk half-orc. He yet raise hand or sword, and was only casually stepping.

27. - Top - End - #27
    Ettin in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Rose growls as he closes his face in on hers, and quickly thrusts her fist up into his chin. No matter if she hits or not, she quickly flips upward onto the table, yelling at the man as if to cause a scene. "You want another one, you half-breed ingrate!!!!" As she yells, her fists begin to catch a slight blue aura, and it almost seems like the heat around her is being sucked away.

Spoiler
    Show
    Attack roll (1d20+5)[12]
    Damage (1d3)[3] Nonlethal (Love unarmed strikes)

Rellin groans as she starts making her scene. "Promise me you won't do anything that requires me to bail you out again, please?" He seems otherwise unperturbed by the scene, as if he were used to it.

28. - Top - End - #28

The punch clips the surprised half-orc in the chin.

The proprieter tears over to this table, "That's it. Outside, all of you! You don't start flashing deadly magics in here. Take your business outside."

It is clear that she is speaking to Rose, Rellin, Caedmon, and the half-orc.

The crowd hushes, and looks expectantly. Everyone's haunches are like springs, getting ready to jump up onto their feet to follow them outside for a little bit of diversion.

An elven woman comes over. She doesn't identify herself, but as she comes over there is a sense from the way others part for her that she seems to have some authority. She is bedecked with fine studded leather and has quality elvenwork weapons at her side ... save for a bow, which is gripped tightly in her right hand but used to slowly guide people out of the way. "No deadly attacks."

The thug smiles. "S'okay with me, depootee. Ladies first."

He looks at the armored man who came up to the table and now seems to have been embroiled in this. "I was talkin' to you."
    Show

29. - Top - End - #29
    Ettin in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Rose points at the Half-Orc, then punches her palm, as if to indicate that she's gonna knock him out once they get out. She starts first, almost as if she's looking forward to putting him in his place. Rellin waits on everyone else to get out before he vacates, but stops long enough to talk to to the proprieter and likewise the elf. "Let me know if she broke anything. I'll pay for it, no problem. And I promise you that she was holding back. She's not exactly nice, but she wasn't out to kill him. Just knock him out." After he says his bit, he starts out the door, to see what happens from this point on.

30. - Top - End - #30

What does Caedmon do?

Rellin, following last, does he have any intention of getting in on the fight? If not, how about the side-betting that will most assuredly take place?
    Show