New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 13 of 32 FirstFirst ... 34567891011121314151617181920212223 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #361
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: Rise of the Runelords, Part I: Burnt Offerings [IC]

Celiss moves down along the east side of the room to come up behind GC3 (flank with Rose). She then stabs the goblin with her rapier.
    Spoiler
    Show
    MA: 30' move gets her there w/o an AOO.
    SA: Attack (incl. flank) (1d20+11)[13], damage (1d6+4)[6]
    Current Games
    Curse of the Crimson Throne: Dušana Essert(Zeta), & Fathi (Phi) and Hülya (Eta) Sharif of House al-Din
    Legacy of Fire: Water Prince Rafiq Karim
    Rise of the Runelords: Keghart Valdemar & Valbard the Velociraptor
    Savage Tide: Rabbi Eliezer "Lazer" Whuraili Cohen ben Mordechai of Clan Ironoath of Oriadeth
    Serpent's Skull: Harsk! (yes, that one)
    Shattered Star: Lilim
    Strange Aeons: Dorn

2. - Top - End - #362
    Colossus in the Playground

R2T22: Celiss moves down along the east side of the room to come up behind GC3 (flank with Rose). She then stabs at the goblin with her rapier, but it sweeps away the attack with its horsechopper.

R2T20: Caedmon, you suffer 1 bleed. What do you do?
    Spoiler: Battle Map
    Show

Rellin on deck, Shalelu in the hole ...
    04MAY2024: Completed reading Paizo's Pathfinder Campaign Setting: Mythic Realms (2013, Bruck, Buhlman, et. al.).
    28JAN2024: Completed reading TPK Games' The Deductionist (2013, Everhart). This source is authorized for playtest.
    Spoiler: Player Status
    Show
    ClasyCrow: On hiatus through 11MAY2024.
    bcool999: 03-07 JUN 2024.

3. - Top - End - #363
    Ettin in the Playground

Caedmon moves through the pain as he charges the nearest goblin
    Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    There's nothing I can do to stop the bleed, so I guess I'll ignore it for the time being.
    Move action: move 1 square left and 1 downso I am adjacent to GC2 and above Rose
    Standard: Initiate Snapping Strike (1d20+9)[21] (1d8+4)[11] +(1d6)[4]
    Quote Originally Posted by digiman619 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Cosi View Post
    In general, this is favorable to the casters.
    3.5 in a nutshell, ladies and gents.

4. - Top - End - #364
    Ettin in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

With his first target down, Rellin will attempt to attack another Goblin with his slowing aura of magic, stepping away to block its ability to ccharge at him.

Spoiler
    Show
    Cast Slow on GC3. Will save DC 16 or Slowed (as the spell)
    Five foot step so that the pillar is between us, preventing a charge. If this would break line of sight/effect on my Sphere ability, then spend a spell point to persist it without concentration if he fails his save. Obviously don't do that if he passed it, which I should reasonably know.
    Kitten: *bats around a mini a few times*
    DM: "Ok, it looks like Fluffy...err, 'The Tarrasque'...Full Attacks the Cleric"
    Cleric: "Full attack my a**, that was just two claw attacks!"
    Kitten: *starts gnawing on the mini*
    Cleric: "...nevermind."

5. - Top - End - #365

R2T20: Caedmon moves through the pain as he closes on the nearest goblin and pounds him for 20!
    Spoiler: Caedmon
    Show
    He is currently in the stance of aggression, so that was an additional 1d6 added.

R2T10: With his first target down, Rellin attacks another Goblin with his slowing aura of magic, stepping away to block its ability to charge at him.
    Spoiler: Rellin
    Show
    The goblin has cover, but not total cover ... you can see him (and he can see you) so you are concentrating.

R2T9: Shalelu shoots GC2 for 10, dropping him. She then sidesteps down to the eastern wall where Rellin had been standing and shoots GC3 in the left shoulder for 11.

R2T8: Rose, what do you do?
    Spoiler: Battle Map
    Show

GC3 on deck, Kurgol in the hole ...
    04MAY2024: Completed reading Paizo's Pathfinder Campaign Setting: Mythic Realms (2013, Bruck, Buhlman, et. al.).
    28JAN2024: Completed reading TPK Games' The Deductionist (2013, Everhart). This source is authorized for playtest.
    Show

6. - Top - End - #366
    Ettin in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Rose takes a few quick strikes at the nearest Goblin, hoping to take him down and move on to the next.

Spoiler
    Show
    Standard action: Flurry Strike Maneuver
    Attack 1 (1d20+5)[6]
    Damage (1d6+4)[7] + 4 Fire

Attack 2 (1d20+5)[9]
    Damage (1d6+4)[5] + 4 Fire

7. - Top - End - #367
    Ettin in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Spoiler: Critical Fumble
    Show
    (1d20)[20] Should not have rolled on game night.

8. - Top - End - #368

R2T8: Rose takes a few quick strikes at the nearest Goblin, hoping to take him down and move on to the next, but her attacks are wild.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Hunting serpent blow granted, +2 animus.

R2T6: GC3 attacks Rose with his horsechopper, but his swing is so slow it is laughably easy for Rose to dodge it. The goblin, only now understanding the effect of Rellin's magic, begins to tremble some (but even that trembling is funny). Still, he is committed to a "good death" for a goblin.

End Round 2, Begin Round 3 ...

R3T24:
    Kurgol begins raging and closes. He the goblin for 14, but his bite doesn't get through.

R3T22: Celiss, this goblin is barely standing. You flank it with Rose. What do you do?

Caedmon on deck, Rellin in the hole ...
    Show

9. - Top - End - #369
    Ogre in the Playground

Celiss does a double-kick to the goblin.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Flurry of Blows (incl. flanking)
    Attack #1: (1d20+10)[15], damage (1d8+3)[8]
    Attack #2: (1d20+10)[25], damage (1d8+3)[4]
    Current Games
    Curse of the Crimson Throne: Dušana Essert(Zeta), & Fathi (Phi) and Hülya (Eta) Sharif of House al-Din
    Savage Tide: Rabbi Eliezer "Lazer" Whuraili Cohen ben Mordechai of Clan Ironoath of Oriadeth

10. - Top - End - #370

R3T22: Celiss does a double-kick to the goblin. It blocks the first with its shield, but didn't expect a second kick and gets clipped behind the ear for 4. Not a powerful kick, but enough to drop it.

R3T20: Caedmon, you take 1 bleed. No visible enemies about. What do you do?

Rellin on deck, Shaelu in the hole ...
    Show

11. - Top - End - #371
    Ettin in the Playground

Caedmon breathes a sigh of relief as the last goblin (that he can see at least) drops. "Rellin, a little help, please? I'm bleeding quite a bit here."

12. - Top - End - #372
    Ogre in the Playground

"Rose, help Caedmon out, please," says Celiss, still on guard.
    Current Games

13. - Top - End - #373
    Ettin in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Rose will calmly place her hand on Caedmon's shoulder, channeling her magic into him to cure his wounds.

Spoiler
    Show
    Cast Cure from the Life Sphere, spending a spell point to do so.

Cure (1d8+2)[5]

14. - Top - End - #374

Rose's magic not only heals half of Caedmon's wounds, but stops his bleeding as well.

Combat rounds over. Now what?
    Show

15. - Top - End - #375
    Ogre in the Playground

Loot the hall (and goblin bodies if they have anything worthwhile), with Caedmon on lookout and Rellin assisting Celiss in magical searches. Then, I say we pull out. Engage Warchief if we see him, but I don't want to play the will he/ won't he game. Let him come back to Thistletop. Next time, he won't have as many guards (hopefully). When we come back, though, I might not try to scare everyone.
    Current Games

16. - Top - End - #376

Their gear is not resaleable, but the two commandos each have a potion that registers as faint transmutation. Giving it a once-over, Celiss determines they are each potions of rage. Nobody stopped the other fallen goblin from burning, and its (likely) potion was destroyed.

The group waits for Warchief Ripnugget to come back, but he never does, so the group pulls out for the day and heads back to Sandpoint.

Now is the time to give whatever exits/ reasons your individual PCs each have for leaving ...
    Show

17. - Top - End - #377
    Ettin in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Having finished the mission that Rose and Rellin were both hired for, (the latter of which was forced into) the siblings state that they would rather return to their own journey of study and discovery, preferring to work as a pair than in a large group.

18. - Top - End - #378
    Ettin in the Playground

Despise Rose's best efforts, Caedmon's wounds never fully healed. While it didn't take his life, it did take his career, as strenuous activity tended to cause the wound to aggravate.

He took this as a sign to hang up his shield and retire. He decided to open a tavern with his savings and hung his sword and shield over the bar, always glad to tell tales for those who asked about it.
    Last edited by digiman619; 2017-08-24 at 04:59 PM.

19. - Top - End - #379
    Ogre in the Playground

Celiss gets word through the grapevine that a paladin-inquisitor of Iomedae is hunting for her, having heard of her transformation into her cambion form when protecting Sandpoint against the goblin attack during the Swallowtail Festival. With the hunter's rep, it is time for Celiss Nightrom to move on. Still, she has enough of a sense of duty to toss the tin star to the first upstart that has some sense of the job. She does NOT take Kurgol with her. He's a powerful ally in a fight, but much too undisciplined and more likely to bring attention to her.
    Current Games

20. - Top - End - #380

The Acting Sheriff while Sheriff Belor Hemlock is in Magnimar attempting to get troops to help out in Sandpoint is there with four others in the gaol's offices. The man can't be 30, and yet he looks nearly half again that age. His balding pate thinning back his red hair and showing gray in other locks, his care-worn face, and the fact that he seems like he has "let himself go." He stands 6'4", but weighs in at 268 lbs. Though no doubt he is strong as a bull, still, his form is less Olympian and more Falstavian.

Yet, his mellifluous voice and clear blue eyes betray a compassion that is almost at odds with his old scale mail, the scimitar at his side, and his wine-stained, reddish robes (which is more pink than red from wear). "My name is Toros Valdemar, and my brother will introduce himself. We're both from Magnimar. Since our name shares the last syllable with our birthplace, we are usually just called the 'Mars Brothers,' and often you will hear people refer to me as 'Toros of the 'Mar' or even 'Toros of Mar.' I tried my hand at being a priest of our Lady of Fire, Sarenrae, but that life didn't suit me. I enjoy fighting and drinking and the company of women too much, so I became a dedicated warrior in Her service.

"After a really pitched battle against an extremist group wherein I thought I sacrificed myself to protect the innocent, and readied myself for a potentially unsteady welcome in the afterlife, but a battle archon appeared to me and let me know that I was favored to carry on the fight. Me. Huh. So, I was healed. The archon made a pact with me. Now, I continue to serve the Lady of Fire as a warrior who has been given the ability to enact minor miracles, mainly healing."

He sits down after introducing himself. "Please feel free to stand up and introduce yourself to everyone, and be sure to give an accounting of what you bring to this group. Perhaps, what made you want to give your life for the cause against the goblins; for rest assured, you may have to do just that."
    Spoiler: Yes, Yes I Did. I really did. Come at me, bro.
    Show

Spoiler: Descriptions for All
    Show
    As usual, be sure that you are complete with your descriptions. The (N)PCs will be operating together in close confines for some time. What you look like should not be a mystery.
    Show

21. - Top - End - #381
    Ettin in the Playground

A tall man steps forward. His ashe skin marked with, at first glances, seems to be line-art tattoos. On closer inspection, the are actually recessed and run the length of his body. As for his apparel, it is designed for practicality foremost, the only things he wears that could fall under accessoriesories would be a pair of powder horns strapped along his chest, a side holster containing a home-built pistol and a holy symbol of Torag, God of the Dwarves.

"My name is Asher. I'm a machinist by tradeand I just understand objects like that, I guess. As for why I'm willing to fight, well, it's because Sandpoint is my home, and I want its citizens to be safe." He brushes aside a green lock as he continues, a slightly angry tone on his face. "I was in Magnimar on business when the Goblins attacked, and I'm glad that they were fought off, but there's more afoot than that. I can't sit here and do nothing." A look of sheepishness then crosses his face as he is slightlyembarrassed aobut his eclamation. "So that's why I'm in."

22. - Top - End - #382
    Ettin in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

A man steps forward, certainly one on the shorter side, dressed in what would appear to be basic adventurer's clothes, with a chain shirt draped over it for protection. An Ioun stone floats around his head quietly, illuminating his shaved head with its faint light. Strapped to one side of his belt is a pair of daggers, while the other side has what appears to be a Spell Component Pouch. Running down the center is a small array of vials, all empty, and significantly smaller than you would normally expect. The mans face seems hardened and unfriendly, but he speaks as though he were an intellectual. I am Helt Kannis. I am an intellectual and an Investigator by trade. I take on odd jobs while traveling, and managed to bankrupt myself in my travels. So I'm here for the pay. Not all that noble, I know. But I have no care to die, and no intention of allowing anyone else in my company to die. My talents include knowledge on a large number of talents, healing potions, discovering and disabling traps, and finally a small talent for alchemical explosives." He smiles for a moment. "I hope I will be of help."

23. - Top - End - #383

"I'm an elf, and we live hundreds of years," says the elven woman as she stands. "Believe me when I say, I have less desire to die than you, for I have lived a century, a score, and a decade. It is a greater waste. If you are from the area, then you may have heard of me, if we haven't met already. I am Shalelu Andosana, a local bounty hunter, and I specialize in goblins. I'm a hunter and spiderhawk - the archery version of bladesingers you elfophiles might have heard about."

She stands quite tall (6' 3"), and yet is extremely willowy (not even quite 110 lbs.). Her hair is more light green with blonde highlights and her eyes are a light brown. All of her equipment is the best quality, and of elven make: studded leather, bow, scimitar, short sword. Her composite longbow seems to be made for a stronger pull than normal, though not necessarily exceptional.

"I am only here until the danger of the goblins of Thistletop has been handled, and I have slain my long-time nemesis Bruthazmus, a bugbear that has taken up with Warchief Ripnugget. I was with the last group that scared away the warchief and did extensive damage, but reports are that he has returned to his halls."

She sits down unceremoniously.
    Spoiler: Shalelu Andosana's Visual
    Show
    Show

24. - Top - End - #384
    Ogre in the Playground

Dashingly handsome, Keghart looks very much like one would think of a fly-by-the-seat-of-one's-pants nobleman. Tall, tanned, well-built, his hair is cropped short around the sides and back and he has a distinctive (though not foppisly elaborate) van Dyke. His intellect is easily discernible without him uttering a word as it looks like he wears a perpetual smirk as he always finds things mentally with which to amuse himself. He is every ounce the noble cad one can expect from a Magnimarian of Chelish blood. Only the firm stock and blue eyes betray him as being related to your host. Unlike his brother, he wears no armor but has scholar's robes. If it weren't for the fact that he does have a shortbow, one might write him off as a total loss in combat despite being rather solid in build.

Spoiler: Me!
    Show

"Hi, everyone!" he says in an easy tenor. "My name is Keghart Valdemar - the younger, better, smarter version of the meat wall that is recruiting."

He looks to Helt, "Glad to see a fellow caster here, I'd love to know more about what you do."

To Shalelu, "It's a real honor. I'm an amateur archer myself, though I am getting better. I especially like the whole 'pool ray' whatever-it-is that you do. Impressive modular elemental display, really."

He turns to the group. "So, on paper you would call me a 'wizard?' I guess? But that's not entirely accurate. I have a spellbook, it's arcane magic, it's complicated. But I think the most accurate way to describe me is a 'tinker.' I like to learn a system, find out what makes it tick, and then see if I can salvage that knowledge for my own use. I've recently gotten into studying the conjuration of specific extraplanar ectoplasm to take care of some issues I've had with more mundane and fixed-forged materials like metal and the like, so as to develop a defensive prosthesis in field work. Backing this up is training as an armorer, sculptor, engineer, and mechanic."

He sits down, then stands up again. "And, I think it's pretty safe to say that while I'm probably the smartest one at the table, I might not be the most knowledgeable in all fields ... yet. So, I would love to pick the brains of you experts of various fields and have a far more engaging time than I've had with my brother, gods bless him."
    Current Games

25. - Top - End - #385

"Now that we've all met, has everyone had an opportunity to get a debrief on what has happened so far. Shalelu is our key veteran in this regard, having been with the various respondents in the past."

[Various RP Interlude, which can be done in the Interactive Thread...]

"Are there any further questions, or will you be ready to proceed tomorrow?"
    Spoiler
    Show
    If there is anything you need before adventuring, now's the time to say it, otherwise we can move to tomorrow. Also, be sure anything you need to prepare is set up for CQB of Thistletop.
    Last edited by lostsole31; 2017-11-27 at 08:51 PM.
    Show

26. - Top - End - #386
    Ogre in the Playground

"I'm ready!" says Keghart.
    Current Games

27. - Top - End - #387
    Ettin in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

"I''ll be ready"

Spoiler
    Show
    In preparation for the day's work. Tomorrow morning Helt will prepare the following and pass one out to each party member.

Invigorate consumable Craft (Alchemy) (1d20+11)[17] vs DC 18 (CL 2)
    Invigorate consumable Craft (Alchemy) (1d20+11)[19] vs DC 18
    Invigorate consumable Craft (Alchemy) (1d20+11)[14] vs DC 18 (CL1, goes to Helt)
    Invigorate consumable Craft (Alchemy) (1d20+11)[15] vs DC 18 (CL 2)
    Invigorate consumable Craft (Alchemy) (1d20+11)[18] vs DC 18

Each pass will create an Invigorate consumable that grants 11 (-2 per lost CL) Temporary hit points up to a maximum of the users max health for up to three hours (minus one hour per lost CL), and also a +4 bonus to AC and Saves for the following minute.

This expends 15sp worth of materials regardless of my pass or fails.
    Last edited by meemaas; 2017-12-01 at 09:38 AM.

28. - Top - End - #388

The next morning, Helt passes around small vials with little labels saying "Professor Kannis' Uncanny Cure-All ™" to everyone, keeping two for himself. (Everybody, look at your equipment.)

It's a two-hour walk to get to Thistletop. A rope bridge spans the gulf between the cliff and a roundish, flat-topped island sixty-some feet to the north. Thick patches of nettles and briars grow here and there atop the island, but its most impressive feature is a wooden one-story stockade. Two thirty-foot-tall watchtowers guard the stockade’s southern facade. The rope bridge itself is made of hairy rope and thick wooden planks; the whole thing creaks and sways in the wind above the churning surf eighty feet below.

Shalelu tells you that one of their previous members determined that the number of people that could cross was limited .... that the bridge was rigged to tumble if too many Big Folk were on it. The group makes it across singly unhampered. There, you get to the thick stockade doors which have since been shut. However, there seems to be no "welcoming committee" of goblins in the towers this time.

What do you do?
    Show

29. - Top - End - #389
    Ogre in the Playground

Keghart remembers the intelligence report given by Shalelu (she did tell us what happened previously, right?). "Well, the doors are shut and barred from indoors, so the Thistletops weren't scared away. This may be awfully unimaginative, but I recommend you," here he looks at his brother, "just cut that thing down with brute force while. Asher and Shalelu can keep an eye on the towers while I and Helt get ready to bring the pain to any gobbos waiting inside. Sound good?"
    Current Games

30. - Top - End - #390
    Ettin in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

"I don't see anything wrong with that idea. I'm sure they will be ready for us by the time we get through." Helt starts rummaging through his pouch, making sure everything is in place before the fighting starts.