New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 28 of 32 FirstFirst ... 3181920212223242526272829303132 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #811
    Colossus in the Playground

Default Re: Rise of the Runelords, Part I: Burnt Offerings [IC]

S11: Norton will take up a defensive stance for the moment, trying to determine what the creature he's been directed to is. He calls out to Jules in their shared language, directing him to stay back while they fight.
    Spoiler: Norton
    Show
    He doesn't know what they are, but has no reason to doubt that they are 'shadows,' nor any reason Toros' advise should be disregarded.

S9: Great-Aunt Leanyi doesn't notice the one in the "back corner" (NE), but sees the other two. She sees their wispy nature and heard Toros, and realizes that even though she may not understand what the threat is, that her armor will not help her a whit. Still, she barks out tactical orders that relate to defense. She focuses on her hand, and coming into view is a longsword-shaped field something ... like a sword that is and is not there all at once. She attacks "Green" with it, but the shadow dodges.

S6: "Blue" shadow attacks the woman that used hateful energy against its fellow. As it does so, Opal's head is filled with a high-speed defensive suggestion that she follows to just barely dodge the touch!

S3: "Red" attacks a surprised Keghart, and Keghart barely moves out of the way himself, as if guided by some other force.

End Surprise Round, Begin Round One ...

R1T22:
    Keghart casts shield defensively on himself before stepping back out of the way.
    Spoiler: Keghart >>> Collective
    Show
    "Thanks for the save, Leanyi. They're right. IF these things touch us, it will sap our strength. They sap all of it, we die and turn into one of them."

R1T19: Opal, you don't know how, but you are sure it was Leanyi's "battle forge" powers that almost pulled you away ... or had you pull yourself away? ... at the last second. What do you do?

Green shadow on deck, Toros in the hole ...
    Last edited by lostsole31; 2020-08-23 at 12:38 AM.
    11APR2024: Completed reading Paizo's Pathfinder Campaign Setting: Demons Revisited (2013, Jacobs).
    28JAN2024: Completed reading TPK Games' The Deductionist (2013, Everhart). This source is authorized for playtest.
    Spoiler: Player Status
    Show
    ClasyCrow: On hiatus through 11MAY2024.

2. - Top - End - #812
    Ettin in the Playground

It was at times like this that Opal wished she had figured out how to channel her positive energy better. The more skilled of her order could channel energy like a cleric and use it to augment their weapons, and both would come in really handy right about now. But since she didn't, her masterwork sword was pretty much useless right now, so she simply dropped it; hopefully she'd be able to pick it up afterwards. Still, she figured her best option was channel the energy she could into these things. Stepping southeast, she drew the cure wand she was given earlier and attempted to cast some healing magic in order to damage these undead.

Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    5 foot step SW.
    MA: Draw wand.
    SwA: Activate Healing blessing
    SA: Give up Sanctify Corpse to cast CLW defensively. (1d20+12)[27] vs 17. (1d8+3)[10] +50%, save half.
    USING BODYGUARD WHEN APPLICABLE
    Last edited by digiman619; 2020-08-23 at 01:44 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by digiman619 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Cosi View Post
    In general, this is favorable to the casters.
    3.5 in a nutshell, ladies and gents.

3. - Top - End - #813

R1T19: It was at times like this that Opal wished she had figured out how to channel her positive energy better. The more skilled of her order could channel energy like a cleric and use it to augment their weapons, and both would come in really handy right about now. But since she didn't, her masterwork sword was pretty much useless right now, so she simply dropped it; hopefully she'd be able to pick it up afterwards. Still, she figured her best option was channel the energy she could into these things. Stepping southeast, she drew the cure wand she was given earlier and attempted to cast some healing magic in order to damage these undead. It doesn't dodge the spell now extant on Opal's hand, but as she almost touches the thing her hand seems to be deflected away by an unseen energy.

R1T15: "Green" shadow attacks the man with the obvious holy symbol that is similar to the one on the woman that hurt it, but Toros' defensive actions saved him.

R1T13: Jules steps back out of the way.

R1T12: Toros switches position to now flank a shadow with Leanyi, calling on Sarenrae's power to allow him to end the creature, harming it for 19 mod.

R1T11: Norton, you were in total defense. Now you have a little bit more time to think of a more offensive strategy, if needed. What do you do?

Leanyi on deck, "blue" and "red" shadows in the hole ...
    Last edited by lostsole31; 2020-08-23 at 01:55 AM.
    11APR2024: Completed reading Paizo's Pathfinder Campaign Setting: Demons Revisited (2013, Jacobs).
    28JAN2024: Completed reading TPK Games' The Deductionist (2013, Everhart). This source is authorized for playtest.
    Show

4. - Top - End - #814
    Ettin in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Norton summons up his Spear, enhancing it with his magic, and then prepares a combo attack, using the spear to strike twice at the nearest Shadow with it, the first strike even leaving a Brand upon the spot, as if to say he was involved in this fight.

Spoiler
    Show
    Free action: Summon Spear (Remember, Akashic Trinity changed it from Akashic Mysteries so that drawing a veil weapon is a free action once per turn.)
    Swift action: Expend 1 point from Arcane Pool to add a +1 Enhancement Bonus to my Spear.
    Full Round Action: Spellstrike/Spell Combat (Arcane Mark)

Spellstrike attack (1d20+7)[15]
    Damage (1d8+6)[7] + (2d6)[7]

Regular attack (1d20+7)[19]
    Damage (1d8+6)[11] + (2d6)[11]

Both attacks take into account the +1 enhancement bonus granted, and the -2 penalty for Spell Combat. In addition, while a meta call, I rolled the increased size damage dice for the Spear, since Shadows are Undead, and therefore considered "Always Evil". If that is wrong, I am sorry.
    Kitten: *bats around a mini a few times*
    DM: "Ok, it looks like Fluffy...err, 'The Tarrasque'...Full Attacks the Cleric"
    Cleric: "Full attack my a**, that was just two claw attacks!"
    Kitten: *starts gnawing on the mini*
    Cleric: "...nevermind."

5. - Top - End - #815

R1T11: Norton summons up his Spear, enhancing it with his magic, and then prepares a combo attack, using the spear to strike twice at the nearest Shadow with it, the first strike even leaving a Brand upon the spot, as if to say he was involved in this fight. The first attack misses as the shadow is partially in the floor, but the second attack strikes true for 11 mod (vs. Red).

R1T9: Leanyi whispers something in an unknown language under her breath while taking on a particular stance. With her translucent, longsword-like weapon she strikes the flanked shadow even as colors burst forth from the sword, and destroying the creature of darkness with her light. She then steps forward to take a more central position to threaten both of the others.

R1T6-3: The two remaining shadows attack. Red moves partially in the floor to close on Norton and putting its hand through his chest for 5 STR damage. This is enough for Norton to suddenly become weighed down (medium load). "Blue" attacks he hateful priestess (it is also partially submerged in the floor) but misses.

End Round One, Begin Round 2 ...

R2T22:
    Keghart moves away from the shadow attacking Norton. A high-pitched "charging" noise is heard and then he fires a blast from the circle on his palm, but misses.

R2T19: Opal, these things are quick and have cover. Your scimitar is on the ground. What do you do?

Jules on deck, Toros in the hole ...
    Show

6. - Top - End - #816
    Ettin in the Playground

Opal once again tries to force her positive energy into the shadow, hoping to apply her martial technique to the attempt. She then took a step back in order to get a touch of breathing room.
    Show
    SA: Initiate Crushing Blow with the touch attack this thing with the spell I'm still holding. (1d20+1)[11]; (1d6)[3] + 15 (10 from the spell +50% because it was empowered, which I'm reasonably certain doesn't apply to the maneuver's extra damage.), save half. Normally Crushing Blow would trigger a Fort save, but they're immune to it.
    5 foot step southwest.
    If I miss on that hit and get attacked, I'll use Bloody Reposte, but who knows what my bonus will be at that point.(1d20)[8] (2d6)[3]
    If they don't attack me and instead go after Leanyi, use Bodyguard to help her AC.[/roll]

7. - Top - End - #817

R2T19: Opal once again tries to force her positive energy into the shadow, but it moves out of her way. She then takes a step back in order to get a touch of breathing room.

R2T13: Jules stays in place, using total defense.

R2T12: Toros lights his scimitar on fire before moving 10' north.

R2T11: Norton, what do you do?

Leanyi on deck, "blue" in the hole ...
    Show

8. - Top - End - #818
    Ettin in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Norton steps a bit away from the Shadow that attacked him and strikes again with his Spear, hoping to help take it down.

Spoiler
    Show
    Five Foot step north.
    Standard action: Attack with Spear.

Attack roll (1d20+9)[16]
    Damage (1d8+6)[9] + (2d6)[6]

Added the +1 from enchanting my Spear last turn.

9. - Top - End - #819

R2T11: Norton steps a bit away from the Shadow that attacked him and strikes again with his Spear, hoping to help take it down. It strikes somewhere around the arm (shadow bodies make it hard to tell for sure), but only doing about 7 mod.

R2T9: Leanyi steps over a little to allow Opal to move down if she wanted. Using her summoned weapon she strikes at her opponent, but does so warily, and yet with a perfect strike that does 4. Even though her full power (not a lot for an older woman) gets through unlike other weapons, the incorporeal nature of the shadow is such that there are no "sweet spots" to hit.
    Spoiler: Opal
    Show
    You really need to be adjacent - or at least threaten - the opponent attacking a friendly to use Bodyguard, per normal Aid Another rules. The wording of the Bodyguard feat does not override that requirement.

R2T6-3: The shadows respond with purely silent vigor. Though "blue" was just struck, for some reason it doesn't bother with Leanyi and closes on Opal, it's body still half in the floor to provide it cover, even though Toros and Leanyi now flank it. It just misses the oread. Meanwhile, in the same way, despite being damaged by Norton, "red" steps through the column and down to attack the Sarenite paladin, but likewise misses.

End Round 2, Begin Round 3 ...

R3T22:
    The charge up and release whine of Keghart's weapon is heard as the beam from his palm strikes "blue" but doesn't seem to do anything. "Sorry, but had to be sure. Magic weapons only."

R3T19: Opal, your scimitar is dropped and you are holding a CLW charge on the wand. You had bloody riposte readied had you been struck (you were not), and blue just stepped into a flank with allies that also will allow you to use bodyguard (if you do). What do you do?

Jules on deck, Toros in the hole ...
    Show

10. - Top - End - #820
    Ettin in the Playground

Opal changes her stance to be more defensive than before, reaching out to touch the shadow in front of her.
    Show
    SwA: Change into Vigilant Keeper's Stance. I don't know if they are effected by it, but there's no point in staying in Stance of Aggression and taking a -2 to AC, because I'm 98% certain that the extra 1d6 doesn't apply to spells.
    SA: Touch attack because I'm still holding the spell. (1d20+1)[15] 15 damage
    Ready Bodyguard, multiple times if need be.
    If attacked and the spell wasn't expended yet, Bloody Riposte (1d20+1)[18] Does + (2d6)[4] extra damage.
    Last edited by digiman619; 2020-09-08 at 03:35 AM. Reason: Used an old map to plan moves; realized what I originally described was not a legal move.

11. - Top - End - #821

R3T19: Opal changes her stance to be more defensive than before, reaching out to touch the shadow in front of her, but again its tactical use of cover with the floor foils the warpriest.

R3T13-12: Jules delays. Toros attacks the flanked shadow, but he fails spectacularly as essence of the shadow itself throws Toros into confusing slashes with the strange lighting.

R3T11: Norton, what do you do?

Leanyi on deck, shadows in the hole ...
    Show

12. - Top - End - #822
    Ettin in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Norton strikes out once more against one of the Shadows, hoping to do his part in finishing it off with his Spear.

Spoiler
    Show
    Standard action: Attack with Spear of Light
    Attack roll (1d20+9)[12]
    Damage (1d8+6)[8] + (2d6)[5]

+1 bonus applied from Arcane Pool enhancement. Damage die increased because of Evil creature.

13. - Top - End - #823

R3T11: Norton strikes out once more against one of the Shadows, hoping to do his part in finishing it off with his spear, but he can't quite get a bead on it because of its wispy nature.

R3T9: Leanyi still fights tactically and then uses her mystical weapon more as a paintbrush than a hunk of supernatural metal beatstick. As she strikes, there is a flash of light from the blade that seems to glint right towards the shadow's head (such as it is). It doesn't do a lot of damage, but none of its seems to be diminished either (4). Her weird summoned sword disappears and she now has nothing in her right hand.

R3T6-3: The shadow Leanyi just hit moves so as not to be flanked anymore, and now is flanking Toros with the one nearer the entrance. It puts its hand through Toros' chest for 1 STR. The other shadows strikes at about the same time, but that one Toros was expecting and wards it away with his flaming sword.

End Round 3, Begin Round 4 ...

R4T22:
    Keghart casts mage armor on himself for a little more protection.

R4T19: Okay, Opal, you are still holding onto a charge with that wand. What do you do?

Toros on deck, Norton in the hole ...
    Show

14. - Top - End - #824
    Ettin in the Playground

Opal curses as the shadow proves to be an elusive target. She tries to hit it yet again, though she does her best to cover for her allies in the mean time.
    Show
    SA: Attack "blue" (1d20+1)[15] 15 damage as rolled earlier.
    Ready Bodyguard. Note that I can use it to help against the attack of both shadows as the ally has to be adjacent, not the enemy.
    If hit and I still am holding the charge, use Bloody Riposte (1d20+1)[13] If the extra damage applies, I'll leave it to you to roll it.[/roll]
    Last edited by digiman619; 2020-09-19 at 12:26 PM.

15. - Top - End - #825

R4T19: Opal curses as the shadow proves to be an elusive target. She tries to hit it yet again, though she does her best to cover for her allies in the mean time. Again, the cover offered by the floor foils her attack.

R4T12: Toros realizes only now that the ligth spear that Norton wields has incredible reach (he's a little slower on the uptake than his younger brother). He puts some force into his swing on the northern, flanked opponent, which messes, before stepping closer to both women. He does, however, seem to have thrown off whatever temporary confusion he was in.

R4T11: Norton, what do you do?

Show

16. - Top - End - #826

R4T11: Norton casts a spell and thrusts with his spear, missing, but then with the second attack he strikes true for 7 mod.

R4T9: Leanyi circles around to the south and then points at the shadow with her longsword before attacking and missing.

R4T6-3: "Blue" ignores Leanyi and attacks the Sarenite woman with the hateful magic on her wand, but misses. Its partner moves slightly over to put a little cover between it and the nutter with the light spear so it can attack the other Sarenite, its hand passing through Toros' left lower leg for 2 STR.

End Round 4, Begin Round 5 ...

R5T22:
    Keghart shoots and misses again with his palm attack.

R5T19: Opal, you are still holding a charge on the wand (that hateful magic). What do you do?

Show

17. - Top - End - #827
    Ettin in the Playground

Opal steps northwest; she needed all the help she can muster to hit this thing, so she moves into flanking position with Leanyi. She was putting her at a bit of a risk, but if she could down the spirit between them, that'd take a lot of pressure off of her.
    Show
    5 foot step northwest.
    Attack blue. (1d20+3)[4] (includes flank) 15 damage.
    Ready Bodyguard.
    If hit and I still have the charge, Bloody Riposte (1d20+1)[10] (add appropriate bonuses if needed.) If the +2d6 from the maneuver is applicable, I'll trust you to roll it yourself.

18. - Top - End - #828

R5T19: Opal steps northwest; she needed all the help she can muster to hit this thing, so she moves into flanking position with Leanyi. She was putting her at a bit of a risk, but if she could down the spirit between them, that'd take a lot of pressure off of her. With her advance and extreme pivot, she sprains her ankle in the attempt, taking 2 DEX.

R5T12: Toros attacks and misses with his fiery scimitar, and then shifts position.

R5T11: Norton, what do you do?

Show

19. - Top - End - #829
    Ettin in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Norton will try once more with his spell and spear strikes.

Spoiler
    Show
    Full Round action: Spell Combat (Spellstrike (Arcane Mark))

Attack roll (1d20+7)[23]
    Damage (1d8+6)[10] + (2d6)[6]

Attack 2 (1d20+7)[9]
    Damage (1d8+6)[11] + (2d6)[8]

-2 penalty from Spell combat and +1 Enhancement bonus both applied to attacks.

20. - Top - End - #830

R5T11: Norton will try once more with his spell and spear strikes. His first strike dispels the red shadow!

R5T9: Leanyi now steps back and a series of tones are heard as she sings along with them before a release of flame at the shadow (that misses).

R5T6: The shadow passes its hand through Opal's right knee for 4 STR. Opal's gear now weighs heavily upon her.

End Round 5, Begin Round 6 ....

R6T22:
    Keghart moves into the room to get a clean shot at the shadow. He casts a spell, and then from the top of his palm is a wide, but thin beam of pure red that is fired at the shadow, but the beam of searing heat simply hits the wall behind the shadow.

R6T19: Opal, what do you do?

Show

21. - Top - End - #831
    Ettin in the Playground

Opal's breath grew more ragged as the shadows continued to sap her strength. She doubted that she had the oomph to do much, but she decided to give it one last go before withdrawing. She outstretches her hand once more, hoping to channel the positive energy she was still holding.
    Show
    Fourth verse, same as the first. (1d20-1)[15] 15 damage.
    5 foot step east.
    Ready bodyguard.

22. - Top - End - #832
    Ettin in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Presuming that Opal does not finish the Shadow off, Norton will cast a spell and then move in closer to the Shadow with an electrified thrust from his Spear.

Spoiler
    Show
    Standard action: Spellstrike (Shocking Grasp)
    Move action: Move until I'm 10 foot away from the Shadow
    Free action: Free melee attack from Spellstrike

Attack roll (1d20+9)[13]
    Damage (1d8+6)[10] + (2d6)[7] + (3d6)[10] Electricity

23. - Top - End - #833

R6T19: Opal's breath grew more ragged as the shadows continued to sap her strength. She doubted that she had the oomph to do much, but she decided to give it one last go before withdrawing. She outstretches her hand once more, hoping to channel the positive energy she was still holding, but the cover these incorporeal bastards use and their own lightness (ha!) of being makes them hard to touch.

R6T12: Toros steps south of the shadow, and then holds off, looking to Norton and nodding. "Come get it, man."

R6T11: Norton casts a spell and then moves in closer to the shadow, and as soon as he does so Toros gives it his all against the shadow. It is a gross overhead chop, and he only just turns his flexing sword at the last instant to keep it from getting bent by the floor. Norton is unable to attack, however.
    Spoiler: Norton
    Show
    You performed a standard action (cast spell), then did a move action (moved 10'). You are done. Spellstrike does NOT allow you to cast-move-attack or attack-move cast.

R6T9: Leanyi moves to a clear LOS at the east. She then drops her useless longsword, concentrates, and fire shoots forth at the shadow - a larger gout than the last, and with those same strange increasing tones and singing voice as she does so, but again the shadow ducks out of the way.

R6T6: The shadow steps out of flank and then attacks Toros, but misses.

End Round 6, Begin Round 7 ...

R7T22:
    Keghart casts again, and a similar beam as last time - but this time from the top of his other palm - shoots at the shadow. Finally, a hit is scored as it takes 5 mod fire. He shakes his head ruefully. "Sorry, that's all of those I have."

R7T19: Opal, what do you do?

Toros on deck, Norton (holding shocking grasp on his hand, because a charge can't be held on a weapon) in the hole ...
    Show

24. - Top - End - #834
    Ettin in the Playground

Opal sidesteps southwest in an attempt to keep in an advantageous position. She then tries once again to get her spell to connect.
    Show
    5 foot step SW as to both be adjacent to Norton and to flank with Laenyi.
    Touch attack: (1d20+3)[20] (flanking included), 15 damage.
    Prepare Bodyguard.

25. - Top - End - #835

R7T19: Opal sidesteps southwest in an attempt to keep in an advantageous position. She then tries once again to get her spell to connect, and it finally discharges to do 3 PE, as something about its nature seems to resist some of that holy damage.

R17T11.1: Toros tries to touch the shadow, and he is successful as he scores 13 PE.

R17T11: Norton, what do you do? You have shocking grasp cast on your hand. You cannot use spellstrike or spell combat and get the benefits of the spell, and having already been cast, it cannot be sent down the weapon.

Leanyi on deck, shadow in the hole ...
    Show

26. - Top - End - #836
    Ettin in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Norton will adjust his position and thrust his spear at the Shadow, pulsing the magic from his spell through the spear to hopefully discharge it this time.

Spoiler
    Show
    Five foot step one space east.
    Standard action: Attack with Spear

Attack roll (1d20+9)[15]
    Damage (1d8+6)[13] + 2d6[/roll] + (3d6)[14]

Bonus from Enchant Weapon still included.

27. - Top - End - #837

R7T11: Norton adjusts his position and thrusts his spear at the shadow, pulsing the magic from his spell through the spear to hopefully discharge it this time, but again the cover and its speed keeps it from harm.

R7T9: Leanyi focuses on Toros, and moves her shield, but it is a strange maneuver, clumsy, and seemingly bereft of any possible benefit. Even Leanyi notes that, and yet something about her seems to be recharged.

R7T6: The shadow senses that Opal is far more weakened, and hoping to get some type of meal before its own destruction its swipes at herfor a paltry 1 STR as it only just barely got her shinbone and not really much muscle.

End Round 7, Begin Round 8 ...

R8T22:
    Keghart casts and throws out a green dot that hits the shadow in the lower part of its torso for a mere 1 acid .... and that is all that is needed for the shadow to finally disperse!

FEAR THE MIGHTY ACID SPLASH!!!

Combat Ends ...
    Show

28. - Top - End - #838
    Ettin in the Playground

Opal leans against wall, her armor pressing down on her in a way that'd seem impossible an hour ago. Her breathing heavy, motioned to Keghart to grab her fallen scimitar. Her breath heavy, she smiled at her teammates. "Well, I can't speak for the rest of you, but I could use a couple of days' sleep." She then struggled to her feet, but after a second she was able to maintain balance without further issue. While not as nimble as she was before the fight, she's still ready to advance as best she can.

29. - Top - End - #839

Keghart gets Opal's scimitar, even holding onto it for now as it seems that the weight may only be more taxing.

Toros simply shakes his head at first then breathes long and low, even as the flames on his scimitar gutter out. "The shadow bit me only a little, and Sarenrae has blessed me still with more strength than any normal man. But I am fighting off a curse. That's not true. I am simply affected by a devastating curse that Nualia hit me with. I would have been fine to bravely go along and leave the heavy fighting to you, but now you are the party's primary hammer and you are beat down as well.

"No offense, Great-Aunt Leanyi, you have strange abilities, and interesting ... but your abilities are obviously more teamwork and defense than heavy offense."

"None taken," she says, nodding in agreement.

"Maybe they were the last guardians. Maybe this is the last room," Toros continues, "but we shouldn't even give in to the temptation to search less a trap with a summoned creature lay us low. No, I say we withdraw to the observation room. It fits our group; it is defensible; and, it is not so large as that first extremely large room as to be overwhelmed if the unthinkable happens and a number of enemies should storm in."

Does anyone object to packing it in for the day .... withdrawing, setting up defenses and watches, and then doing whatever re-allocations of magic might be helpful for overcoming the pain while using medical expertise to give healing to those that need it while taking a long rest?
    Show

30. - Top - End - #840
    Ettin in the Playground

Opal looks frustrated; disappointed in herself more than anything else. "Yeah, that's probably for the best."