New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 9 of 32 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516171819 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #241
    Colossus in the Playground

Default Re: Rise of the Runelords, Part I: Burnt Offerings [IC]

The "door" on the west wall of the northern spur is not really a door but hasty boards that have been put up. A horse snorts and whinnies inside. Nothing else is heard at any of the doors.

2. - Top - End - #242
    Ogre in the Playground

"Let's batter down that barrier. Kurgol? Everyone else stand clear so you don't get run over by a cooped up horse."
    Current Games
    Curse of the Crimson Throne: Dušana Essert(Zeta), & Fathi (Phi) and Hülya (Eta) Sharif of House al-Din
    Legacy of Fire: Water Prince Rafiq Karim
    Rise of the Runelords: Keghart Valdemar & Valbard the Velociraptor
    Savage Tide: Rabbi Eliezer "Lazer" Whuraili Cohen ben Mordechai of Clan Ironoath of Oriadeth
    Serpent's Skull: Harsk! (yes, that one)
    Shattered Star: Lilim
    Strange Aeons: Dorn

3. - Top - End - #243
    Ettin in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Rellin will back up, and Rose will watch the rear, to ensure that the group can't be surprised by an attack while focusing on the doors.
    Kitten: *bats around a mini a few times*
    DM: "Ok, it looks like Fluffy...err, 'The Tarrasque'...Full Attacks the Cleric"
    Cleric: "Full attack my a**, that was just two claw attacks!"
    Kitten: *starts gnawing on the mini*
    Cleric: "...nevermind."

4. - Top - End - #244

"Wait a minute!" snaps Shalelu. "There is a scared horse in there. Can we finesse the boards off slowly while I try to offer it food and calm it? Otherwise, we'll have a scared horse just try to bowl everyone over and we'd have to put it down."

To "finesse" the boards would require a Disable Device check. Rose, up to the task, or do you not want to be at the opening if the horse does come crashing through?

5. - Top - End - #245
    Ettin in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Rose will give it a try, but only if Rellin promises to be prepared to teleport her away if the Horse comes through agitated.

6. - Top - End - #246

Rose, roll a Disable Device check.
    11APR2024: Completed reading Paizo's Pathfinder Campaign Setting: Demons Revisited (2013, Jacobs).
    28JAN2024: Completed reading TPK Games' The Deductionist (2013, Everhart). This source is authorized for playtest.
    Spoiler: Player Status
    Show
    ClasyCrow: On hiatus through 11MAY2024.

7. - Top - End - #247
    Ettin in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

(1d20+5)[6] Roses Disable Device

8. - Top - End - #248

It takes Rose a whopping 17 minutes of work, but she finally manages to get the board off and gets to the side as Shalelu steps forth without weapons to try and calm the horse, holding out some of her food as she does so. The horse is very leery, but the food defeats its will and it finally eats out of her hand. It is a magnificent heavy warhorse, and yet it appears to have suffered from starvation.

Caedmon, you actually recognize the horse as "Shadowmist," and he belongs to a local Sandpoint merchant. No doubt a reward would be given for his safe return.

What now?
    11APR2024: Completed reading Paizo's Pathfinder Campaign Setting: Demons Revisited (2013, Jacobs).
    28JAN2024: Completed reading TPK Games' The Deductionist (2013, Everhart). This source is authorized for playtest.
    Show

9. - Top - End - #249
    Ogre in the Playground

Caedmon, do you share that info?
    Current Games
    Curse of the Crimson Throne: Dušana Essert(Zeta), & Fathi (Phi) and Hülya (Eta) Sharif of House al-Din
    Savage Tide: Rabbi Eliezer "Lazer" Whuraili Cohen ben Mordechai of Clan Ironoath of Oriadeth

10. - Top - End - #250
    Ettin in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Spoiler
    Show
    Posting on Saviors behalf

Caedmon is willing to share the information.

In response, Rellin asks. What should we do about it? Leave it and take it back with us when we're done?"

11. - Top - End - #251
    Ogre in the Playground

"Right now, we are in hostile territory," says Celiss. "We need to check the southern entrance into the stockade and start working our way to the gates to the south. Shalelu, you are now at the back guiding this horse. It's no good to us dead, and working our way to get to the gates will be a good day's work for us so far."
    Current Games

12. - Top - End - #252

Alright, the decision is made to check out the double doors on the south wall, closer to the west. Listening, checking, etc. ... all clear.

The door is open and it is just a 10' x 10' connector to another set of double doors. Those, too, are checked ... all clear.

Opening those doors and it is another 10'x10' section, but also includes a 5' extension to the south leading west up a series of stairs that go up. You can tell from the chill of the south wooden walls that it leads up to the western tower. A quick scout up notes it is still clear not counting dead gobbos. Back down you go and there is a set of double doors to the east. Listening, checking, etc. ... all clear.

The door is opened, and this time it is a 10' wide, 30' long connection to another set of doubles. 10' in on the northern wall is a single door. It seems to have been nailed shut. The decision is made to bypass it in favor of continuing on. If anything is inside, it isn't getting out because of the nailed door.

The 30' is traversed and the double doors are listened at, checked, etc. ... all clear. The doors are opened, but there waiting for you with readied bows are six goblins that fire on the group.

To be continued ...
    Last edited by lostsole31; 2016-10-15 at 01:55 PM.
    Show

13. - Top - End - #253

"BREE YARK!" comes the call as arrows fire at the biggest-looking longshanks there. The first arrow crits Caedmon in the belly for 11, though all the rest whiz by or bounce off of his armor.

Begin Round One ...

R1T23-22.5: Two goblins fire again at the scary big man, but the warder's armor holds true.

R1T22: Rose, what do you do? There are a half-dozen goblins, 10' to the closest two. They are all in a relatively clump.
    Show

14. - Top - End - #254
    Ettin in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Rose growls calmly. "You wouldn't happen to have any sort of area attacks today, would you? No, you never do, right Rellin?" She moves behind Caedmon, and grabs her staff, holding it to the sky, she allows the spirits that help her to surround and infuse her, drawing upon their knowledge and power to gain access to new abilities. "Stay together guys, I'll protect us"

Move behind Caedmon, and use my Spiritualism Power to gain the Illusion Sphere

15. - Top - End - #255

R1T22: Rose growls calmly. "You wouldn't happen to have any sort of area attacks today, would you? No, you never do, right Rellin?" She moves behind Caedmon, and grabs her staff, holding it to the sky, she allows the spirits that help her to surround and infuse her, drawing upon their knowledge and power to gain access to new abilities. "Stay together guys, I'll protect us."

She draws upon the fickle nature of unseen spirits for access to equally fickle magics.

R1T21: Shalelu spends her turn keeping Shadowmist calmed.

R1T19: Rellin, what do you do?
    Show

16. - Top - End - #256
    Ettin in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Rellin draws upon his magic to heal Caedmon's wounds before the Goblins have a chance to make them worse.

Cure spell. (1d8+2)[9]

17. - Top - End - #257

R1T19: Rellin draws upon his magic to heal Caedmon's wounds (9) before the Goblins have a chance to make them worse.

R1T17-16: Two of the goblins shriek with that healing and point at Rellin and shoot their bows (and miss).

R1T15: Celiss, what do you do?
    Show

18. - Top - End - #258
    Ogre in the Playground

Celiss calls upon the absolutist nature of her heritage and drops an order's wrath in the middle of the goblins (or just back far enough to not hurt our own).
    Spoiler
    Show
    Order's wrath SLA (3d8)[4], Will DC 14 halves and negates 1-round daze vs. chaotics. Neutrals aren't dazed and take half damage (quarter w/ good save).

EDIT: Wow. Wooooooow, that sucked on what should be an average of 10 more points or so of damage.
    Last edited by PSinger; 2016-10-25 at 03:27 PM.
    Current Games

19. - Top - End - #259

R1T15: Celiss calls upon the absolutist nature of her heritage and drops an order's wrath in the middle of the goblins. An impossibly precise cube of light covers nearly the entire room, ending inches from Caedmon's face, and many subsidiary gridlines form. In the end, though, none of the goblins are seriously wounded, sporting minor score lines on their arms or face.

R1T12: Kurgol goes right into a rage and charges the nearest goblin and crumples it.

R1T12: Caedmon gets into a defensive stance while slowly walking forward, his muscles increasing in thickness as he does, and practically taunting goblins to hit him while he is a juggernaut with sword and shield.

R1T9-8: Two of the rear-most goblins shoot at Rellin (missing wildly).

End Round One, Begin Round 2 ...

R2T22.5: A goblin drops his bow and takes out his short sword to attack Kurgol.

R2T22: Rose, what do you do? You would have to move around to the goblin group's "flank" to get to melee with an opponent (15' travel, 20' if you want to face directly from side rather than cattie-corner).

Shalelu on deck, Rellin in the hole ...
    Show

20. - Top - End - #260
    Ettin in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Rose will move to give Rellin some cover, and then cast an Illusion in a spot to create a wall between her and the goblins. It'll only fill one five foot square, and she's gonna leave five feet between her and it, but place herself such that the wall will block apparent line of effect from as many goblins as possible.

21. - Top - End - #261

R2T22: Rose moves to give Rellin some cover, and then cast an Illusion in a spot to create a wall between her and the goblins. It'll only fill one five foot square, and she's gonna leave five feet between her and it, but place herself such that the wall will block apparent line of effect from as many goblins as possible.

R2T21: Shalelu spends the round keeping Shadowmist from freaking out.

R2T19: Rellin, what do you do?

2 goblins on deck and in the hole ...
    Show

22. - Top - End - #262
    Ettin in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Rellin will ready his action to blast a goblin with his Storm Gauntlet if it moves to get line of effect beyond the Illusionary Wall.

Readied attack roll (1d20+4)[13]
    Damage (3d4)[4][1][1](6) In order, Cold, Electric, and Sonic

23. - Top - End - #263

R2T19: Rellin readies one of his veils.

R2T17-16: One of the goblins steps around the wall -- *ZOT* as Rellin's blast misses -- and the goblin has a shortsword in hand. He shouts something and then readies his shield.

R2T15: Celiss, what do you do?

Kurgol on deck, Caedmon in the hole ...
    Show

24. - Top - End - #264
    Ogre in the Playground

Celiss goes up to just 5' shy of the brick wall, casts a spell, and a gout of flame bursts out to engulf the entire area (I hope).
    Spoiler
    Show
    Burning hands (5d4)[10] fire damage, Ref DC 17 for half
    Current Games

25. - Top - End - #265

R2T15: Celiss goes up to just 5' shy of the brick wall, casts a spell, and a gout of flame bursts out to engulf the entire area (I hope). There are a lot of screams of pain and terror after that, followed by a lot of clattering and thumping of bodies and weapons on the earthen floor. Only one goblin still stands (that you see) - the one on the corner facing off against Kurgol, and even that one appears disabled.

R2T12: Kurgol balances after the charge, continues his rage, and practically caves in the goblin's left shoulder with a hammerfist. It crumples to the floor. Kurgol comes out of his rage. "All clear behind the wall. They've all dropped."

Combat Ends ...

What do you do?
    Show

26. - Top - End - #266
    Ogre in the Playground

If there's an exit ... exit with the horse. We need to go.
    Current Games

27. - Top - End - #267
    Ettin in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Rose will let her illusion drop as they let themselves go forward.

28. - Top - End - #268

The stockade doors - barred - are to the SE. The bar doors are listed and the gates open. The group GTFOOT!

Back towards Sandpoint if nothing else, because Shalelu is dangerously low on arrows and needs to restock.

Plans?
    Show

29. - Top - End - #269
    Ogre in the Playground

Celiss doesn't really have much to do, other than normal rest and spell recuperation, checking in at the jail and seeing if there have been any issues (or if Sheriff Hemlock has returned). Finding Shadowmist's master will be high on the docket. After that, she'll want a day for spell research and the like before striking out again. Make the goblins sweat it out for when we're coming back, or even if. Looking back, one could almost wonder if it was a deliberate rescue mission for the horse. A human would laugh, but goblins hate horses, terrified of them, and this one must have been particularly daunting.
    Current Games

30. - Top - End - #270

R&R ... plans & intentions?
    Show