New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Pixie in the Playground

Chimera

Default Most popular RPG?

Hello everyone! I was wondering what the ten most popular RPGs are 2015-2016. Thanks!

2. - Top - End - #2
    Pixie in the Playground

Default Re: Most popular RPG?

I'm not sure about being able to list 10 but the heavy hitters are still going strong:

D&D (esp w 5e becoming OGL)
    Pathfinder
    Savage Worlds
    GURPS
    Call of Cthulu
    Shadowrun
    World of Darkness
    Mutants and Masterminds

There's probably plenty more... that others will be able to fill in... but if their Kickstarter is any indication, 7th Sea is going to be up there for 2016.
    Currently working on the indie RPG Unity - an epic fantasy game set in a world on fire.
    [Unity Website]

3. - Top - End - #3
    Ogre in the Playground

I don't know about other countries but in Japan, Paranoia is a pretty major TRPG.

If you're talking about the most popular RPG, Pokemon is probably the most popular RPG. *Gets blown up for not reading between the lines*
    Spoiler: Avatar
    Show

^ Fantastic avatar made by Professor Gnoll. Yaya Tokaz, from the manga "Kukul and Nagi". ^
    Spoiler: Quotes
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Malifice View Post
    Only on a DnD forum would discussing the methods for jamming a T-Rex into a 10x10x10 box be a thing.
    Extended Signature: Homebrew Stuff
    Unlimited Blade Works: The Guide to the Ultimate Paladin/Sorcerer Multiclass

4. - Top - End - #4
    Titan in the Playground

Most annoyingly to Wizards of the Coast, I suspect that D&D 3.5E is one of the most popular.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Banned

Kobold

Quote Originally Posted by CakeFace View Post
    Hello everyone! I was wondering what the ten most popular RPGs are 2015-2016. Thanks!
    Since we don't really have access to sales figures, the next best thing we have available is ICV2. Google 'em. It can give you a decent ballpark estimate, but not exactly a spot-on reckoning. Then again, that's for sales numbers not the most-played RPG.

To find the latter would require large-scale surveying.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Ogre in the Playground

By "most popular" do you mean most sold? Most played? If played, then in table too games? Conventions? Online?
    any specific area? The USA? Europe? Asia?
    Specific age groups? Teens? 20-30? 30+?

1. Special projects:
    Campaign logs archive, Campaign planning log, Tactical mass combat Homebrew, A unique monsters compendium.
    2. My campaign logs:
    Three from a GM's POV, One from a player's POV. Very detailed, including design and GMing discussions.
    3. Various roleplay and real life musings and anecdotes:
    For those interested, from serious to funny!

Thanks for reading!

7. - Top - End - #7
    Ettin in the Playground

RangerGuy

The most popular RPG on these forums is DnD 3.5e, which explains why system-neutral RPG discussions often slide into 3.5e-specific stuff

8. - Top - End - #8
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by goto124 View Post
    The most popular RPG on these forums is DnD 3.5e, which explains why system-neutral RPG discussions often slide into 3.5e-specific stuff
    It's interesting, actually. When I joined this forum D&D 3.5 was the dominant system by far. Now it seems like 5E is starting to overtake it, though it will take the 5E boards some time to catch up in posts because of the insatiable glut of posts in the 3.P subforum.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Bugbear in the Playground

Imp

Well, I'll take a looksy at a different list. This is from the internet, with my commentary.

#1: D&D
    D&D 3.5 seems more popular, but 5e is catching up. I would suggest 5e (please do not start a edition war), but I've found all editions to be enjoyable.
    #2: Pathfinder
    I think this is one of the best non-5e games. Its like 3.5, but I like the rules better.
    #3: Savage Worlds
    I don't know enough about this game to comment on it, but I have heard it is quite simple.
    #4: GURPS
    This is probably, although complicated, one of the most realistic games ever.
    #5: HackMaster
    A parody of AD&D
    #6: Call of Cthulhu
    The horror game that almost no-one can win. Almost.
    #7: Traveler
    I believe this is a sci-fi plane-hopping game
    #8: Mutants and Masterminds
    Superpowers rpg
    #9: World of Darkness
    Awesome horror game. You can be pretty much any horror trope ever. I think this should be in the top 5.
    #10: Rifts
    A body swapping game where you can be anything is what someone described it as to me.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Bugbear in the Playground

At the moment, the top three are D&D (3.5 and 5e. The 4e fanbase died when the online tools were shut down.), Pathfinder, and Savage Worlds (Deluxe. The old version is barely played. Deadlands is the most popular setting.)
    Currently RPG group playing: Endworld (D&D 5e. A Homebrewed post-apocalyptic supplement.)

My campaign settings: Azura; 10,000 CE | The Frozen Seas | Bloodstones (Paleolithic Horror) | AEGIS - The School for Superhero Children | Iaphela (5e, Elder Scrolls)

11. - Top - End - #11
    Ogre in the Playground

I wouldn't be surprised if the top 10 were all D&D or variants/forks. (For example, Pathfinder)
    Thanks to zegma for my awesome avatar.
    Proudly the founder of the Mr. Scruffy fanclub.
    We will not let Nessie down! http://www.petitiononline.com/PLEAOSAR/
    My DMs' Guild Stuff

12. - Top - End - #12
    Ogre in the Playground

No one knows.

It's not common to release sales figures.
    And every other indicator is only local. Rarely there can be made any useful answer acros borders or across languages.