Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Firbolg in the Playground

Default [OOC] Temposis: A Tale of Dichotomy

Temposis: A Tale of Dichotomy

BIG 16
    Spoiler
    Show

1. What game system are you running (D&D, Call of Cthulu, Palladium, GURPS, etc.), and if applicable what edition (Original, Classic, Revised, 1st, 2nd, 3rd, 5th, 10th, etc.)?

D&D 3.5e

2. What 'type' or variant of game will it be (i.e. "Shadow Chasers" or "Agents of Psi" for d20 Modern)? What is the setting for the game (eg. historic period, published or homebrewed campaign setting, alternate reality, modern world, etc.)?

Homebrew world of Temposis

3. How many Players are you looking for? Will you be taking alternates, and if so, how many?

Snowbluff, LoyalPaladin, and a few others. Probably will total at 5.

4. What's the gaming medium (OOTS, chat, e-mail etc.)?

GiantITP forums

5. What is the characters' starting status (i.e. experience level)?

Level 12 gestalt

6. How much gold or other starting funds will the characters begin with?

Standard WBL (88kgp)

7. Are there any particular character classes, professions, orders, etc. that you want... or do not want? What are your rules on 'prestige' and/or homebrewed classes?

If you play a commoner, I will hurt you.

8. What races, subraces, species, etc. are allowed for your game? Will you allow homebrewed races or species? 'Prestige' races or species?

See 7

9. By what method should Players generate their attributes/ability scores and Hit Points?

36 point buy for ability scores
    Max HP at level 1, roll for other levels but with a minimum of half the maximum amount per die (ie, d4 would roll 1d2+2, d6 would roll 1d3+3, etc)

10. Does your game use alignment? What are your restrictions, if so?

Yes.

11. Do you allow multi-classing, or have any particular rules in regards to it?

Yes. No XP penalty.

12. Will you be doing all of the die rolling during the course of the game? Will die rolls be altered, or left to the honor system? If players can make die rolls, which ones do they make, how should they make the rolls, and how should they report them?

Roll in IC or OOC thread depending on situation.

13. Are there any homebrewed or optional/variant rules that your Players should know about? If so, list and explain them, or provide relevant links to learn about these new rules.

Use the Pathfinder skill system, replacing any mention of the concentration skill with autohypnosis (including class skills, prerequisites, and Diamond Mind).
    Use the Pathfinder version of disjunction.
    Spells and magic item creation do not cost XP. Spells that until recently cost XP instead require material components of a worth equal to 5x the original XP cost.
    Maximum of two flaws, no limit on traits.
    Maximum spellcaster level is equal to HD (ie, you can't take wizard//wizard-advancing PrC and get 7th+ level spells early. You can still use it to shore up lost spellcaster levels b/c of PrCing).

14. Is a character background required? If so, how big? Are you looking for anything in particular (i.e. the backgrounds all ending up with the characters in the same city)?

Yes. Write as much or as little as you feel is sufficient to convey your character concept. In addition, once I get the world information posted, create an NPC who is a contact of your character. PM me if you want to create someone of worldwide importance.

15. Does your game involve a lot of hack & slash, puzzle solving, roleplaying, or a combination of the above?

More focus toward combat and roleplay than puzzle solving in the tradition sense.

16. Are your Players restricted to particular rulebooks and supplements, or will you be allowing access to non-standard material? What sources can Players use for their characters?

All WotC 3.5 material is automatically allowed. Source anything not in a rulebook.
    Ask for 3.0 material and homebrew.
    Flaws on realmshelps are allowed.

World Information
    Spoiler
    Show
    The world of Temposis. A single continent dominated by two large empires, Duramel and Amiron, that are constantly at the brink of war. The sea past the horizon is uncharted and unknown, save for a few shipping routes to island nations. The continent itself holds a myriad of different terrains, spanning from freezing arctic in the north to burning desert in the south. In the center of the continent is a circular mountain range known as the Eye of the World, holding a strange unclaimed land heavily infused with magic and strange creatures.

Excerpts from Library Prime in Vrietel
    Spoiler
    Show

The western empire, Duramel is a land of progress and power. It covers roughly half of Temposis, an arc from the Lance River in the north to the Crescent Desert in the south. The empire is ruled by the Council, a group of five people who each manage one aspect of the empire: agriculture, commerce, internal affairs, magic, and military. Due to a long history of monster attacks and naturally greater resources, Duramel's military and technology are the greatest in the world.

Major Cities of Duramel
    Vrietel: Capital of the empire. Located on the coast of the Edge Sea. This is a massive sprawling city covering over a hundred square miles of land along the coastline. The sheltered ports serve as an easy gateway to trade amongst the smaller island nations, as well as for transport to other coastal cities.
    Vralix: Located near the southern half of Duramel. While technically a city, this is more accurately an enormous military-industrial complex that houses the majority of the empire's military and equipment, as well as designing more of the same. The only civilians that permanently live here are the families of those who work here.
    Mavicora: A northern port city used as both a naval base and a port of call for trade ships heading to and from the islands. Also has the largest shipyards in the empire, as well as an incredible shipwright academy.

Excerpts from the Arcadium in Illitarn
    Spoiler
    Show

Amiron is the eastern empire on the continent of Temposis, stretching from the Lance River in the north to the Crescent Desert in the south. Under the rule of Queen Cantora Valiar, it is a empire steeped in a long history of magical and exploratory success.

Major Cities of Amiron
    Faeloria: Capital of the empire. Located in the center of the empire on a massive hill that allows it to overlook the lands beyond. It also extends halfway to the clouds in a truly massive feat of engineering and magic. It is primarily a center of government and culture, although there is a significant standing garrison located there.
    Illitarn: The center of magic for the empire. Constructed within a large forest, this city houses the Arcadium, a massive library and magical research center.
    Lantai: A city built along the Lance River, it has been heavily fortified to deal with the constant fighting on the border, and thus houses a large garrison and is the northern center of Amiron's military.

Excerpts from the Amiron Exploratory Corps Database
    Spoiler
    Show

The Eye of the World is perhaps the strangest anomaly on Temposis. Located within the Tor mountain range, a ring of high mountains that blocks nearly all entrances to the Eye. A layer of heavy fog perpetually hangs over the interior, making aerial reconnaissance impossible. The mountains themselves are considered neutral territory by both empires, as the effort needed to secure and fortify any major outposts on them would far outweigh the benefits. The benefit of this neutrality is that a guild has developed that specializes in exploring the Eye for science and for the rare materials that may be found. There are two known safe (although some would debate the use of the word safe) entrances: the Lance River and Dragon Claw Pass. The first is a river traveling north from a crack in the mountains that feeds into the Edge Sea. The second is a jagged break in the mountain range that, while treacherous, is far safer than any other known pass. Only a small area around the entrances has been fully explored and is still considered dangerous territory. The only constant about the Eye is that it is an untamed wilderness bursting with life and magic beyond anything outside.

Players
    Player Class Race Sheet
    Draconium Dragonsouled Acolyte//Warblade Draconic Human Sylvia Drakethi
    LoyalPaladin Paladin//War Hulk Protectar Enoch the Just
    Snowbluff Blackguard//Master of Nine Human Athlipsi the Blood Curtler
    Lightning Fast Cleric//Pious Templar Astral Deva Barchiel Baruch-Egrof
    Doxkid Cruroclast Ogre Magi Jiiro the First

Spoiler: Reputation
    Show

Faction Reputation
    Amiron Exploratory Corps
    Amiron Military
    Amiron Nobility
    Duramel Military
    Duramel Nobility

Spoiler: Personal Reference
    Show

IC Thread

Now that everyone is here, I'd like you all to figure out a reason for travelling together, and a starting location (you can give me a general conceptual idea for a city or terrain location, and I'll write it up).
    Last edited by Morcleon; 2016-05-08 at 08:43 PM.
    Avatar of Furude Setsuna, by Telasi.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mephit View Post
    Don't worry, I like my characters the way I like my coffee: Strong, but with no cheese in it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Akagi
    Don't hesitate to tell the people you care about the feelings you have for them, because they may not be there tomorrow.

2. - Top - End - #2

Default Re: [OOC] Temposis: A Tale of Dichotomy

Wooo! The OoC! Now... why would we all be together...
    If purple is evil, bold gray is lawful good.

Extended Signature & Homebrew Signature

Check out my Celestial Compendium!

3. - Top - End - #3
    Ogre in the Playground

Well, let's see... We have a "Lawful" Good angel who likes to punch things, a Lawful Good angelic outsider who is out to smite and fight, a True Neutral Ogre Mage who uses Blood Magic to do... whatever, a Lawful Evil human Blackguard and martial adept with a pet Wyvern, and a Chaotic Evil Draconic human who likes to use her breath weapon to fry enemies in their tracks...

I'm sure we can make something of this. I don't know what yet.
    Dark Red, the Voice of the Dragon

Extended Signature Link

Quote Originally Posted by Quiver View Post
    How much terrain does the forty foot long, flying, fire breathing lizard which may or may not have magic consider its domain?

As much as it god damn wants.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Troll in the Playground

Jiiro
    "Soon we will break their fangs against our flesh! Crush their blades with our faces!"
    ---edit---
    Hey, don't forget the Ogre Magi's pet Giant Crocodile.
    Last edited by Doxkid; 2016-02-29 at 12:48 PM.

5. - Top - End - #5

Quote Originally Posted by Doxkid View Post
    Jiiro
    "Soon we will break their fangs against our flesh! Crush their blades with our faces!"
    Enoch
    "That seems like an unnecessarily dangerous use of one's face."

6. - Top - End - #6
    Troll in the Playground

Jiiro
    "How...so? Did you fail the test of Cunning? Or the test of Spite? Simply grow back anything the blade rends from your body."
    Last edited by Doxkid; 2016-02-29 at 12:50 PM.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Ogre in the Playground

Sylvia

"You do realize not all of us can regenerate without the use of a Cleric or something? Besides, it's much more fun to chop their limbs off. It's adorable to watch their faces contort in pain and anguish, and then you can leave them to slowly die from blood loss!"

Extended Signature Link

How much terrain does the forty foot long, flying, fire breathing lizard which may or may not have magic consider its domain?

8. - Top - End - #8

Jiiro
    "How...so? Did you fail the test of Cunning? Or the test of Spite? Simply grow back anything the blade rends from your body."
    Enoch
    "I do not possess your ogre regeneration. However, I am told my strength is above average."

9. - Top - End - #9
    Troll in the Playground

Jiiro
    "Then use your strength to force one who could regrow your flesh under your banner. In three generations their people will only know service to you, bringing your clan great status and power."

10. - Top - End - #10
    Titan in the Playground

Athlipsi would probably away from her town if she was on some lawful mission to protect it.
    Avatar of Rudisplork Avatar of PC-dom and Slayer of the Internet. Extended sig
    GitP Regulars as: Vestiges Spells Weapons Races Deities Feats Soulmelds/Veils
    Quote Originally Posted by Darrin View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Snowbluff View Post
    All gaming systems should be terribly flawed and exploitable if you want everyone to be happy with them. This allows for a wide variety of power levels for games for different levels of players.
    I dub this the Snowbluff Axiom.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Bugbear in the Playground

RogueGuy

Please add the "L" to the end of my character's first name on the intro post. I think I messed that up on my character sheet or something.

Now that that's out of the way, hello everyone! I'm both very excited to be playing as an angel and very excited to play with you lovely ladies and gents.

The only justification Barchiel really needs to be anywhere is for there to be a fiend corrupting people in the general vicinity. Unless he receives an assignment from his boss, he mostly wanders around, seeing what sights he can and trying to ward off evil where he can. Fortunately, there's no reason he wouldn't be in so-and-so town. There's a good chance he'd first reveal himself as a random old guy and deliver some form of odd, sagely wisdom in an attempt to steer someone off the path of evil. To most average folks, Barchiel can pass off well enough as a mid-to-high level cleric, paladin or monk, and usually attempts to do so.

That reminds me, do you have a pantheon made up for this setting, are we making it up as we go along, or are we using vanilla gods of some kind?
    Last edited by Lightning Fast; 2016-02-29 at 04:55 PM.

12. - Top - End - #12

I can provide a reason if you all can't/don't want to come up with one.

Athlipsi would probably away from her town if she was on some lawful mission to protect it.
    I think that's supposed to be "stay away"?

Quote Originally Posted by Lightning Fast View Post
    Please add the "L" to the end of my character's first name on the intro post. I think I messed that up on my character sheet or something.

Now that that's out of the way, hello everyone! I'm both very excited to be playing as an angel and very excited to play with you lovely ladies and gents.

The only justification Barchiel really needs to be anywhere is for there to be a fiend corrupting people in the general vicinity. Unless he receives an assignment from his boss, he mostly wanders around, seeing what sights he can and trying to ward off evil where he can. Fortunately, there's no reason he wouldn't be in so-and-so town. There's a good chance he'd first reveal himself as a random old guy and deliver some form of odd, sagely wisdom in an attempt to steer someone off the path of evil. To most average folks, Barchiel can pass off well enough as a mid-to-high level cleric, paladin or monk, and usually attempts to do so.

That reminds me, do you have a pantheon made up for this setting, are we making it up as we go along, or are we using vanilla gods of some kind?
    Fixed.

The cosmology is an amalgamized AU version of the Great Wheel (with the standard planar locations and stuff). Go with whatever deities you see fit from whichever D&D setting.
    Don't worry, I like my characters the way I like my coffee: Strong, but with no cheese in it.
    Don't hesitate to tell the people you care about the feelings you have for them, because they may not be there tomorrow.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Troll in the Playground

Jiiro is a war-loving thrill seeker. Where there are enemies, where there is danger, where there are tests that he can overcome; if there is a place a lesser man would die, Jiiro is there.

Assuming he was conscripted by the less militaristic nation and held on retainer as a personal guard, he'd most likely hail from the east. It is his natural inclination to go where there will be fighting, so I'd expect him to be just outside of a zone being contested by one army or another, most likely favoring the North so he could also have a chance at exploring The Eye of the World (which is basically his natural habitat) if/when the fighting dies down. He's not a complete idiot, so he probably still has forms or signs of military office for Amiron just in case he wants to join them in a good clean tussle against Duramel (he'd fit in better in Duramel, but he'd be fighting fewer well trained soldiers if he signed on with them, so...)

14. - Top - End - #14
    Ogre in the Playground

Sylvia's very impulsive, and will basically just end up wherever her whims take her. Catch her interest, and she'll follow you. Heck, an Ogre using Blood Magic might be interesting enough for her to start following him around, and whatever situation we end up in should probably keep her invested enough to keep her from just kind of wandering off. Hopefully.

Extended Signature Link

15. - Top - End - #15

Mmkay, here's an IC thread.

16. - Top - End - #16

RogueGuy

I guess I'll roll my knowledge skills about Lantai and the Tor Mountain Range.

For Lantai:
    Knowledge (Local): (1d20+21)[37]
    Knowledge (Geography): (1d20+7)[23]
    Knowledge (Nobility): (1d20+15)[23]
    Knowledge (History): (1d20+15)[35]
    Lore: (1d20+9)[27]

For the Tor Mountain Range:
    Knowledge (Local): (1d20+21)[27]
    Knowledge (Geography): (1d20+7)[20]
    Knowledge (Nobility): (1d20+15)[34]
    Knowledge (History): (1d20+15)[26]
    Lore: (1d20+9)[14]

17. - Top - End - #17

Gonna let everyone get a post in before responding.

I guess I'll roll my knowledge skills about Lantai and the Tor Mountain Range.

For Lantai:
    Knowledge (Local): (1d20+21)[37]
    Knowledge (Geography): (1d20+7)[23]
    Knowledge (Nobility): (1d20+15)[23]
    Knowledge (History): (1d20+15)[35]
    Lore: (1d20+9)[27]

For the Tor Mountain Range:
    Knowledge (Local): (1d20+21)[27]
    Knowledge (Geography): (1d20+7)[20]
    Knowledge (Nobility): (1d20+15)[34]
    Knowledge (History): (1d20+15)[26]
    Lore: (1d20+9)[14]
    Spoiler: Lantai
    Show
    Local
    The town center isn't a marketplace, like many towns have, but a drill field which is faced on one side by the main barracks and on the other by the city governor's residence. The city almost runs on military time, the musicians and the hawkers appearing at watch changes, as well as in the evening. The city's primary temple is devoted to the gods of war and honour. The guards are drawn from the very best of the city's garrison, men and women considered more skilled that even the governor's guard. While many other cities prefer the excitement of the horses and the hippodrome, this city's main sporting events are duels with blunted weapons and other feats of arms.

Geography:
    Lantai was once a pair of small forts that were set on either bank of the Lance river. Over time, both the fortifications and the towns around them grew into the modern fortresses which are so imposing nowadays. The bridge that stretches between them, itself part fortress, part marketplace and part safety net for boats coming to the edge of the waterfall, is considered a particularly impressive feat of architecture by many. The strategic position overlooking the waterfall makes it uniquely suited to defend the border.

Nobility:
    The city is an oddity. Still listed on many older scrolls as a military posting instead of a recognised city, it is governed by General Andaris and its noble court is made up of the officers serving in its legion. Considered by some to be a backwater posting with little opportunity for advancement (generally those of a more senior parentage and pedigree), to others, Lantai is the place to rise through the ranks of both the military and the nobility.

History
    The city of Lantai was once a military outpost, a pair of garrison forts on either side of the waterfall. As tensions rose, the garrisons grew until the twins could be considered towns. When peace came, though the garrisons shrank, the towns grew even further, trade coming down the Lance River to be winched down to waiting boats below by the cliff-cranes that helped in the trade of goods further inland. Now the city (for it is truly one entity now) spans both sides of the river and some distance around it.

Lore
    Rumours speak of a magitech war machine being constructed beneath the cliffs of Lantai, of buried caves and secret witchery intended to create a phenomenally powerful weapon. Others whisper about the lost tomb of the great General Karsian, supposedly buried in a chamber cut into the rock face behind the waterfall. Still more, when drunk enough, will tell the story of the Lost Legion of Lantai, who sailed away down the river to fight in a hopeless battle. They still sail back occasionally, when the moon is right and the wind is blowing just so to carry the spirits back up against the rushing water. But honestly, aren't these kinds of conspiracy theories everywhere? I mean, some of the more paranoid people even say General Andaris is actually Vampire Lord who is part of a secret organization symbolized with a single open eye set in a pyramid, spanning throughout the planes that secretly influences the politics of the deities themselves.

Spoiler: Tor Mountain Range
    Show
    Local
    No one lives on the Tor Range because of its hostile climate, various wild monsters, and lack of any sustenance.

Geography
    It's a giant mountain range with many peaks easily piercing the clouds. Many of the sides of the mountains are nearly vertical and there is really no way to anything due to the cold and lack of soil.

Nobility
    Duke Jonan once climbed to the top of Mount Nagara and nearly died from falling into a chasm. He prefers to keep this part a secret, but some gossip has leaked out.

History
    The earliest records of the Tor Mountain Range note it to be an unyielding monolith preventing further expansion in that direction. No mention of the Eye of the World inside appears until several hundred years later when the Dragon Claw Pass is discovered by an enterprising explorer who later founded the Amiron Exploratory Corps.

Lore
    The stone of the Tor Mountain Range is far harder than steel and is often used for reinforcing city walls and important structures (hardness 16, 30 HP/inch)
    Last edited by Morcleon; 2016-03-02 at 11:49 AM.

18. - Top - End - #18

Made a reputation system. Approximately, doing things for one faction increases your reputation for them by X, while increasing/decreasing your reputation for their allies/enemies by +/- 0.5*X, respectively.

There will be more factions added as you encounter them in the game. And yeah, I 100% stole this off of Freelancer, including the colors for the background and dots.

19. - Top - End - #19

RogueGuy

You guys really aren't subtle about your evilishness, eh? xD

20. - Top - End - #20
    Ogre in the Playground

You guys really aren't subtle about your evilishness, eh? xD
    "Subtle? What is that, some kind of side dish?"

Extended Signature Link

21. - Top - End - #21
    Troll in the Playground

Jiiro
    "Subtlety is for those too weak to openly act as they wish. Only an apprentice should need to remain subtle in action or voice, proving their minds are ready for the strength they will inherit."

And so on, and so forth.
    -----
    Quote Originally Posted by Morcleon View Post
    Made a reputation system. Approximately, doing things for one faction increases your reputation for them by X, while increasing/decreasing your reputation for their allies/enemies by +/- 0.5*X, respectively.

There will be more factions added as you encounter them in the game. And yeah, I 100% stole this off of Freelancer, including the colors for the background and dots.
    That's what I like to see.
    Last edited by Doxkid; 2016-03-02 at 05:18 PM.

22. - Top - End - #22

I'm not evil!

23. - Top - End - #23
    Troll in the Playground

Hey, wait. Isn't this game for Snowbluff?

Where is he?

24. - Top - End - #24

Hey, wait. Isn't this game for Snowbluff?

Where is he?
    He recently posted in another thread less than 2 hours ago. If he hasn't posted by the time I get off work, I'll poke him via PM.

25. - Top - End - #25
    Troll in the Playground

I know. I watched him post there.

...Alright, that sounds bad when typed out, but It's a small hobby of mine that I indulge in whilst between LoL or Starcraft matches (or when I finish a few chapters of my newest manga and want a break).

26. - Top - End - #26
    Titan in the Playground

Hey, I'm here just thinking about what to have Athlipsi do.

She's insisting on riding her wyvern indoors, btw.
    All gaming systems should be terribly flawed and exploitable if you want everyone to be happy with them. This allows for a wide variety of power levels for games for different levels of players.

27. - Top - End - #27

Hey, I'm here just thinking about what to have Athlipsi do.

She's insisting on riding her wyvern indoors, btw.
    Okay~ ^.^

Mmkay. Not all doorways will fit said wyvern though.

28. - Top - End - #28
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Morcleon View Post
    Okay~ ^.^

Mmkay. Not all doorways will fit said wyvern though.
    He can fit through the standard 5' door space door via squeezing.

29. - Top - End - #29
    Troll in the Playground

He can fit through the standard 5' door space door via squeezing.
    That's what she said.

30. - Top - End - #30
    Titan in the Playground

That's what she said.
    It's true. Athlipsi would say that.