A Monster for Every Season: Summer 2
You can get A Monster for Every Season: Summer 2 now at Gumroad
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Firbolg in the Playground

Default [IC] Temposis: A Tale of Dichotomy

Temposis: A Tale of Dichotomy

(Image credit to jordangrimmer)

Both Amiron and Duramel often hire mercenaries or freelancers to do missions are officially unaffiliated, time-sensitive or otherwise impractical to be accomplished by their own forces, or behind enemy lines. Usually all three.

Your group (after having mistakenly been assumed to be a coherent mercenary team by an overzealous Amiron officer) has recently been hired to investigate a new military outpost being constructed on the Tor mountain range, a feat currently believed to be a logistical nightmare and generally ignored as a possibility due to aforementioned logistics and environmental concerns. You have recently arrived in Lantai to meet with one General Andaris, the commander of Amiron's northern forces.

The guard at the city gate takes one look at the motley group before him and sighs. "...you're the scouting team that the General is meeting, right?"

OOC Thread
    Last edited by Morcleon; 2016-03-03 at 12:11 AM.
    Avatar of Furude Setsuna, by Telasi.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mephit View Post
    Don't worry, I like my characters the way I like my coffee: Strong, but with no cheese in it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Akagi
    Don't hesitate to tell the people you care about the feelings you have for them, because they may not be there tomorrow.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Troll in the Playground

biggrin Re: [IC] Temposis: A Tale of Dichotomy

Jiiro leers at the little guard. The physical differences between him and this man are staggering and the mental ones are even greater; it would be no stretch of the imagination for the large giant-kin to open his mouth and bite the man's head off without provocation or warning; his pink drool suggests he has done something like this at least once today already.

"If I say yes will I still get to fight you and the rest of this group, little man? Or will the general not locate my next battle for me if that happens? I know where you all are. I do not know where or how long the warriors he will point me at will remain wherever they are."
    My attempt to reciprocate is cut brutally short as my body experiences a sudden lack of electrons.

Across a variety of hidden dimensions you are dismayed.
    Cruoroclast Rewrite (Base Class): The Blood Mage
    Star Avatar (Base/PrC Class): The Chi Warrior
    Anathematist (PrC): The Curse Prestige Class
    Inugami (Monstrous Prestige Class): A Ranger/Hexblade hybrid
    Yokai Classes (7 Monstrous Prestige Classes): Seven Advanced Warrior classes

3. - Top - End - #3

Default Re: [IC] Temposis: A Tale of Dichotomy

Enoch the Just

The large angel puts his hand on Jiiro's shoulder. "Time and place, my friend." He says in a distant, but firm, tone. "Yes, we are the ones you seek." He nods, comfortingly. "Forgive my comrade. Battle is his all."

Spoiler: OoC
    Show
    Diplomacy
    (1d20+24)[32]
    Last edited by LoyalPaladin; 2016-03-02 at 11:54 AM.
    If purple is evil, bold gray is lawful good.

Extended Signature & Homebrew Signature

Check out my Celestial Compendium!

4. - Top - End - #4
    Ogre in the Playground

"Yeah, whatever..." Sylvia grumbled, adjusting her Hat of Disguise - she didn't want to appear in her natural form at the moment, instead focusing on a more human-like appearance. "I don't know why you two giants insisted on dragging me here, anyways. I have better things to do with my time. Like terrorizing the populace. Or sleeping."
    Dark Red, the Voice of the Dragon

Extended Signature Link

Quote Originally Posted by Quiver View Post
    How much terrain does the forty foot long, flying, fire breathing lizard which may or may not have magic consider its domain?

As much as it god damn wants.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Bugbear in the Playground

RogueGuy

An old man wears a black cloak with the hood off, revealing his nearly-bald head and long, grey beard. It’s hard to tell because he is slouching with both hands pressing down on his cane, but he can’t be taller than five and a half feet. Despite his age, he is far from senile: his many years have given him an aura of wisdom and intelligence, and he exudes a purity and force of will that some more despicable people might even find judgemental or off-putting. Supposedly, he knows the entire continent like the back of his hand, having travelled it many times. At least... that’s what he’s told you. In truth, the man had only joined your group recently. He calls himself Edward Barr, and has been awfully quiet since introducing himself. He maintains his composure even as the group’s ogre companion Jiiro makes threats to attack not only the group he’s with, but the guard who is trying to assign them to a new task.

“Your talents are wasted on such violent pursuits, Sylvia,” Edward whispers, smiling serenely, “You possess great strength, but you mustn’t allow it to cloud your judgement. Channel your anger, or it shall consume you.”

Edward nods to the guard, not saying anything further.
    Last edited by Lightning Fast; 2016-03-02 at 06:38 PM.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Titan in the Playground

ATHLIPSI THE BLOOD CURTLER!

A top an armored wyvern sits a beautiful woman in black armor. Her skin is a pale alabaster, and her long hair is a dark ebony. Her eyes are scathing and red. She's also well armed. A side sword is strapped to her waist, and her bow is slung on her back. Additionally, a lance is holstered on the wyvern's back.

"Your taste for disorder is abhorrent. It's best that we use it productively,"
    Athlipsi says. Her voice is scratchy from her usual shouting. It makes her sound younger than she already it.

Mistlebane screeches in agreement, prompting Athlipsi to pat him on the head to calm him down. Wyverns are rarely so docile.

"Stand inside, guard,"
    she growls at the guard from her high wyvern.
    Avatar of Rudisplork Avatar of PC-dom and Slayer of the Internet. Extended sig
    GitP Regulars as: Vestiges Spells Weapons Races Deities Feats Soulmelds/Veils
    Quote Originally Posted by Darrin View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Snowbluff View Post
    All gaming systems should be terribly flawed and exploitable if you want everyone to be happy with them. This allows for a wide variety of power levels for games for different levels of players.
    I dub this the Snowbluff Axiom.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Ogre in the Playground

"Ah, shove it, ya old geezer. You too, Ath-tipsy. I'm only here because Gigantor One and Two dragged me along. And I was told I'd get paid." Sylvia glared at the guard. "We are getting paid, right?"

Extended Signature Link

How much terrain does the forty foot long, flying, fire breathing lizard which may or may not have magic consider its domain?

8. - Top - End - #8
    Titan in the Playground

"That's Lady Athlipsi to you, ogre. E-thlip-si."
    Athlipsi's voice hardens. She gives Sylvia an icy glare that could chill even the brightest star. Despite her relatively small stature, she's absolutely terrifying.
    All gaming systems should be terribly flawed and exploitable if you want everyone to be happy with them. This allows for a wide variety of power levels for games for different levels of players.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Ogre in the Playground

Sylvia blinked up at Athlipsi, then turned around to face Jirro. "Psst. Dude, I think she's talking to you," she loudly whispers to him.

Extended Signature Link

10. - Top - End - #10
    Titan in the Playground

"No, I meant you,"
    Athlipsi smugly says to Sylvia's back. Ironically, dragons are not her expertise, so she can't really tell a draconic anything from an ogre. It's very possible she's trying to get under Sylvia's skin.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Troll in the Playground

Jiiro

"Oh?!" Blood rushes the surface of Jiiro's skin staining the light blue ogre a deep and healthy purple, and he starts flexing to get his muscles ready out of reflex, "You wish to test your title against-" ... only to realize who he is is in the company of and how unlikely actual bloodshed is among them. There isn't going to be a fight fight. At best this might devolve into a bit of sibling-skinship that he will be expected to repair if he wants to abuse their connections for access to good drinks and fine fighting opportunities. "... I tire of titles and wordplay. Bring forth someone that could actually kill me and leave me to my fun.."
    My attempt to reciprocate is cut brutally short as my body experiences a sudden lack of electrons.

12. - Top - End - #12

City Gates
    Lantai, Amiron

The guard leans back a bit with a bemused smile on his face, content to let the angel and dragon rider take the brunt of the bloody ogre's anger. He gives Enoch a thankful smile and nod, leaning back further at Athlipsi's words.

"...that would be the General," he replies to Jiiro. "But I think he'd rather you go kill things for him. Anyway, you've passed authentication and are free to enter."

"Welcome to Lantai."
    Stepping back with a bow (and a small wink at Athlipsi), he snaps his fingers up at the portcullis, which opens with a rumble and rattle of chains. The city beyond bustles with movement all around, and some citizens even stop to stare at the odd group of newcomers.

Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    You know that the general's office is in the central spire, on the top floor.
    Last edited by Morcleon; 2016-03-03 at 12:24 AM.
    Don't worry, I like my characters the way I like my coffee: Strong, but with no cheese in it.
    Don't hesitate to tell the people you care about the feelings you have for them, because they may not be there tomorrow.

13. - Top - End - #13

Enoch the Just

Enoch bows politely to the guard, tossing him a gold piece for his trouble. "Thank you, sir. You man your post well." Taking his hand of Jiiro's shoulder, he walks through the gate and takes point, hoping to ease the town folk with his presence preceding the rest of his party. He does make sure not to seem like he is competing with the Ogre or Wyvern for head of the party, keeping a friendly demeanor and making small talk about great battles with the ogre.

14. - Top - End - #14
    Troll in the Playground

Jiiro

Jiiro slings his pet crocodile over his shoulders and brushes past the guard without paying the lesser man any further attention. His gait is long but he lumbers along toward his meeting the general at a relaxed pace, rolling the crocodile to sun its underbelly whether the reptile wants such treatment or not.

"...Have I ever told you about how I met my little pet? So there I was: beating Sibby here to death with his own mother. Hmm...Her own father? Whatever. I was beating Sibby with it's own parent when another crocodile rose from the depths to test it's mettle against me and the fight got interesting. That draws the attention of the other crocodiles though, so soon I'm swinging two crocodiles, riding a third, wrestling a fourth and eating a scrawny one that died early when this landwyrm bursts from the undergrowth looking for a fight..."

15. - Top - End - #15
    Titan in the Playground

Mistlebane trots along with Athlipsi riding along. He seems perfectly content while scaring the local people. Athlipsi, on the other hand, is rather bored. There's only so much joy that can be gleaned from tormenting her fellow adventurers. Jiiro's story doesn't help.

"Did I ever tell you how I met Mistlebane?"
    Athlipsi says, speaking baout her superior lizard.

16. - Top - End - #16
    Ogre in the Playground

Sylvia hummed cheerfully as she walked alongside her strange group. At least her Hat of Disguise was making her look normal, so she stuck out even more compared to the others she traveled with. At any rate, Jiiro seemed to be enjoying his story about snakes or something, and Athlipsi was trying to draw to conversation her way by talking about her glorified bat. Neither of which interested Sylvia much.

"I'm more curious about the things we're supposed to go kill for the general. Do you think they'll be squishy? Or screamy?"

Extended Signature Link

17. - Top - End - #17

RogueGuy

Edward chuckles when the wyvernrider cuts in. "And yet when I try to tell my old war stories, you kids tell me you're not interested. If I had to guess, though, you made a deal with a devil."

"I believe we're supposed to be on a scouting mission, Sylvia: if we have to fight anyone, we're not doing it right. Fortunately, this old man still has a few tricks up his sleeves..." As he walks alongside the rest of the group, he vanishes from view entirely. "When I was your age, I had lots of fun with this one!" The old man's voice echoing from nowhere was somewhat... odd. As he faded back into view, he nodded. "Eh, but yes, please tell us about your scaly friends."
    Last edited by Lightning Fast; 2016-03-04 at 12:26 AM.

18. - Top - End - #18
    Troll in the Playground

Jiiro

"Well whatever we need to kill I can only hope Sibby leaves a few scraps for the rest of you. It is the strongest of scaled beasts, so there will be few foes left after my companion gets into the fight. Just look at this rich coloration and these strong legs." Jiiro presents the crocodile's underbelly to the rest of the group. It's...it's something, alright. Definitely something. "Obviously I will take the strongest and most powerful enemy as my own entertainment. I am kind though. I will try to restrain Sibby so the rest of you have a chance to fight whatever does not interest it; he or she is still growing, after all, so I would not want to spoiler her or him." Jiiro pauses to look at his own crocodile's underbelly. "...probably 'she'. It is as fierce as a mother defending her young and just as murderous as that same mother crushing and eating her own young."
    Last edited by Doxkid; 2016-03-04 at 12:29 AM.

19. - Top - End - #19

Enoch the Just

"She is indeed a magnificent creature, Jiiro." Enoch laughs heartily. "I feel you and I will be like kin, if only in the heat of battle." Though unnessicarily tall, you can all tell that Enoch strives to make eye contact whenever he enticed in a conversation. "Now... where is this general." Enoch approaches the spire and enters if permitted.

20. - Top - End - #20

Eastern Spire
    Lantai, Amiron

The towering main doors of the spire are opened by a pair of silvery blue golems as you approach. The enormous foyer stretches high above the floor, and the walls are layered with a speckled blue-black stone that shimmers in the light of hundreds of levitating orbs. While significantly less crowded than the city streets, various soldiers and officials went about their business, giving the newcomers no more than a brief glance.

A large circular platform detaches from the center of the ceiling, descending down a pulsating shaft of light before settling onto the ground. Stepping off and striding towards you is a rather short human in parade armor. Despite his apparent young age, his presence seems to fill the room and everyone around gives him a respectful berth. He comes to a stop in front of your group and smiles kindly. "Ah, looks like I got here just in time. I'm General Morphar Andaris. Welcome to the Eastern Spire. Come with me, we'll discuss your mission upstairs." He starts to turn toward the platform again, then glances back at Jiiro with a put-upon sigh. "And please don't stab anything this time. The security golems are rather expensive."

Spoiler: General Morphar Andaris
    Show

21. - Top - End - #21
    Titan in the Playground

Athlipsi ignores the comments of her teammates, if she can call them that. Her days of consorting with devils are far behind her.

Seeing the general, Athlipsi sighs. "Looking a little young, aren't we? Is the war effort hurting this badly?" Her menacing eyes rest themselves on General Andaris. She shakes her head. "I am Athlipsi, Knight and Lady of Brambleton." She bows slightly. A full curtsy is difficult on wyvern back.
    Last edited by Snowbluff; 2016-03-04 at 09:54 PM.

22. - Top - End - #22

Eastern Spire
    Lantai, Amiron

General Andaris returns the bow and a brief flash of annoyance crosses his face before it settles back into his faint smile. "Well, Lady Athlipsi, I just happen to be blessed with youthful looks."

23. - Top - End - #23

RogueGuy

Edward bows his head. “Hello, good sir. I am Edward Barr, Priest and Warrior of the Blessed Fist. I too am blessed with a youthful face; I am actually even older than I appear,” he jokes, smiling, “But I am sure to have obtained this position, you have displayed wisdom far beyond your years. We are at your service, General Andris: what would you ask of us?”

24. - Top - End - #24
    Troll in the Playground

Jiiro

"And I am blessed a body like unto a god's and a crocodile of similar disposition. Those facts are irrelevant though. Who am I to kill, how strong are they and where can I to find them?" Said crocodile is slung over Jiiro's shoulder by its tail much like a sack of potatoes; the main difference is this burden is slightly more likely to rip one of your limbs off and swallow it whole. Sibby does not seem to mind, as it has had a long time to become accustomed to this treatment and Jiiro is an affectionate master when he does not completely disregard the fact that Sibby is a living being.

25. - Top - End - #25

Enoch the Just

"I too am curious about the task at hand." The angel nods. "Who or what has earned your ire?"

26. - Top - End - #26

Eastern Spire
    Lantai, Amiron

After General Andaris leads you to the central platform, it rises into the air along the same column of light that brought it down, eventually stopping at short hallway opening into a large map room. He waves his hand at the large table in the middle and a sparkling illusion flickers into being. "As you know, the Tor mountain range possesses an incredibly inhospitable climate. Despite this, scouts have reported that an active military outpost is there. Duramel is really the only one who could have done this. They've been developing some very odd devices lately, and it's a bit worrisome."

"Your mission, should you choose to accept it, is to investigate this outpost and, if it is Duramelian in origin, to destroy it and salvage anything important, including whatever they're using to survive the harsh climate. If not... then contact me and I'll figure something out."
    He pulls a few scrolls of Sending out of a cabinet and tosses them at Barchiel.

[spoiler=OOC]Barachiel obtained three (3) scrolls of Sending.[/color]

27. - Top - End - #27

Enoch the Just

"Ah yes. I was looking forward to inhospitable climates." He laughs, but then realizes his current company isn't the biggest proponent of humor. "I'm sure we'll be able to accomplish this task. Leave it to us."

28. - Top - End - #28
    Ogre in the Playground

"That doesn't sound too hard..." Sylvia surveyed the map. "I'm always up for doing stuff like this. But you know, if it isn't Duramellian... Well, nevermind, I can't think of who else it might be." She seemed uncharacteristically serious, but one look into her eyes betrayed the excitement she was obviously feeling. This kind of mission was right up her alley.

Extended Signature Link

29. - Top - End - #29
    Titan in the Playground

Athlipsi the Blood Curtler

"Very well. We accept your mission, milord,"
    Athlipsi says, doing another half bow.

Mistlebane huffs in agreement.

30. - Top - End - #30
    Troll in the Playground

Jiiro

"Perfect. Those beside me have not taken their tests of Spite. This will be the perfect chance to forge them into worthy opponents.

We will go to this place and we will bring them the gift of ruin
    ."