New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more

Thread: karmic strike

1. - Top - End - #1
    Pixie in the Playground

Default karmic strike

I need a hand clarifying this feat for usuage in my campaign.

Karmic strike.
    Complete Warrior
    Requires activation, with a few details that I'm fine with.

Allows you to make an attack of opportunity against an opponent that hits you in melee.

Now an 11th level fighter foe uses the full attack option to attack 3 times, and all 3 attacks hits.

The question is does Karmic strike permit one return attack of opportunity as per the rule that you may only get one attack of opportunity per action;

Or does it permit one return attack per actual hit; granting the character with the feat 3 free attacks against that one dude.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Barbarian in the Playground

Default Re: karmic strike

The second, which is per the attack of opportunities rule.

Each attack is a seperate opportunity. Attack of opportunity rules don't let you take 4 attacks of opportunity against someone who swings at you once.
    Last edited by Damionte; 2007-06-18 at 06:39 PM.
    Custom Avatar By: "The Chilli God"
    My Games:
    None Current

3. - Top - End - #3
    Ogre in the Playground

Note that you still need Combat Reflexes(and 14 or more Dex) to make more than one AoO per round.
    President of the Society for Hobgoblin Equality in Level Adjustment(SHELA)

Glowing Kitty from Lilly
    Wren Worgatar by Mephibosheth
    The Living Bullet!
    Unusual Inner Animal Avatar from Quincunx.
    Whenever you mention Pun-pun*SQUELCH!*, Ao kills another Kobold.
    Everytime someone says "Pazuzu" twice, Ao erases them on the next "Pa". Then he undeletes them so he can wipeinfo them from the multiverse.
    Everytime you kill a catgirl, I get more company.

4. - Top - End - #4

Quote Originally Posted by AtomicKitKat View Post
    Note that you still need Combat Reflexes(and 14 or more Dex) to make more than one AoO per round.
    12 or more dex; it allows a number of additional AoOs, not AoOs, equal to dexterity bonus.

Note that according to a completely useless, literalist, neither RAU nor RAI reading, once you use up the extra AoOs from Combat Reflexes, they're gone; you may make a number of additional AoOs, not additional AoOs per anything. You get one AoO per round, plus a number of AoOs equal to your dexterity bonus, but no more than one per opportunity. The intent is clear, and the FAQ probably clears this up, but the feat doesn't say that you get them back every round.
    Last projects, from years back: Lesser Disciplines (Tome of Battle). Also, Never Behind the Curve (multiclassing).

Some of my current work is under the name IGTN on D&D Wiki

5. - Top - End - #5
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by I_Got_This_Name View Post
    12 or more dex; it allows a number of additional AoOs, not AoOs, equal to dexterity bonus.

Note that according to a completely useless, literalist, neither RAU nor RAI reading, once you use up the extra AoOs from Combat Reflexes, they're gone; you may make a number of additional AoOs, not additional AoOs per anything. You get one AoO per round, plus a number of AoOs equal to your dexterity bonus, but no more than one per opportunity. The intent is clear, and the FAQ probably clears this up, but the feat doesn't say that you get them back every round.
    Acually take a look at the Attacks of Opportunity section of the SRD.

Quote Originally Posted by in the SRD
    Combat Reflexes and Additional Attacks of Opportunity

If you have the Combat Reflexes feat you can add your Dexterity modifier to the number of attacks of opportunity you can make in a round. This feat does not let you make more than one attack for a given opportunity, but if the same opponent provokes two attacks of opportunity from you, you could make two separate attacks of opportunity (since each one represents a different opportunity). Moving out of more than one square threatened by the same opponent in the same round doesn’t count as more than one opportunity for that opponent. All these attacks are at your full normal attack bonus.
    "Sometimes, we’re heroes. Sometimes, we shoot other people right in the face for money."

-Shadowrun 4e, Runner's Companion

6. - Top - End - #6

Alright; it's fixed elsewhere in the PHB. Good to know, since, just looking at the feat, it looked like it added your dexterity modifier to the number of attacks of opportunity you could make, ever. So not only does the (deliberate) misinterpretation violate the intent of the rules and go against the way people play it, it's also against the letter (somewhere else).

Of course, if one were intent on finding Combat Reflexes to be a (the?) limited-use-ever feat, they might interpret the feat as a primary source and the Combat section as a contradictory rule. If I were stupid or intent on wasting CustServ's time (as opposed to that of random people on forums), that might merit sending a question in to Customer Service.

Knowing CustServ, though, they might call it as limited uses ever.
    Last projects, from years back: Lesser Disciplines (Tome of Battle). Also, Never Behind the Curve (multiclassing).

Some of my current work is under the name IGTN on D&D Wiki