Support the GITP forums on Patreon
Help support GITP's forums (and ongoing server maintenance) via Patreon
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Orc in the Playground

Exclamation Closed to new interest.

You had a pretty simply life in your secluded village Reberia. The only troubles your village has been having are wolves and Kobolds. The Kobolds are raiding more and more often and killing live stock, stealing crops and raiding some of the houses on the edge of the village. Reberia is having one of its hardest years yet and nobody is able to do anything about it the last man whole tried ended up with a spear through his leg.

Spoiler: Big 16
    Show
    1. What game system are you running (D&D, Call of Cthulu, Palladium, GURPS, etc.), and if applicable what edition (Original, Classic, Revised, 1st, 2nd, 3rd, 5th, 10th, etc.)?

3.5 Dnd

2. What 'type' or variant of game will it be (i.e. "Shadow Chasers" or "Agents of Psi" for d20 Modern)? What is the setting for the game (eg. historic period, published or homebrewed campaign setting, alternate reality, modern world, etc.)?

Just a classic medieval dnd game

3. How many Players are you looking for? Will you be taking alternates, and if so, how many?

4-6 and maybe taking alts depending on game goes.

4. What's the gaming medium (OOTS, chat, e-mail etc.)?

Pbp

5. What is the characters' starting status (i.e. experience level)?

Lvl 1

6. How much gold or other starting funds will the characters begin with?

5 gold 15 silver 45 copper pieces

7. Are there any particular character classes, professions, orders, etc. that you want... or do not want? What are your rules on 'prestige' and/or homebrewed classes?

Wanting Barbarian, Fighters, Rangers, Rogue, scouts. Not wanting any class above tier 4 and no magic classes. You can change into to a new class at level 3 But you can only move up to the next tier every 4 levels after 3 so 3,7,11,15

8. What races, subraces, species, etc. are allowed for your game? Will you allow homebrewed races or species? 'Prestige' races or species?

Wanting Elves, Humans, Gnomes other than that it will take a lot of convincing if you want another even then I might not approve just as a heads up.

9. By what method should Players generate their attributes/ability scores and Hit Points?

Max hp first level rest roll or take average. You get one choice pick wisely ;) 32 pb or my normal rules which I prefer 1d10+8 and with point buy max stat is 17

10. Does your game use alignment? What are your restrictions, if so?

Anything from neutral to Lawful good is preferred but up to you.

11. Do you allow multi-classing, or have any particular rules in regards to it?

no multi classing

12. Will you be doing all of the die rolling during the course of the game? Will die rolls be altered, or left to the honor system? If players can make die rolls, which ones do they make, how should they make the rolls, and how should they report them?

I will make some rolls off the threads sometimes but you guys should be rolling in the threads

13. Are there any homebrewed or optional/variant rules that your Players should know about? If so, list and explain them, or provide relevant links to learn about these new rules.

Some but there mostly for monsters and special items or skills I sometimes hand out.

14. Is a character background required? If so, how big? Are you looking for anything in particular (i.e. the backgrounds all ending up with the characters in the same city)?

A nice size I'll read it no matter the length but I want to know about your lives in the town friends you might or might not have made go off your class to show how you learn skills from it. Like if your a rogue you could tell about how you honed your sneaking skills to take Mrs. Brutals pastrys from her shop when she wasn't looking. Just make it good this is normally how I mainly pick players so put some effort in ;)

15. Does your game involve a lot of hack & slash, puzzle solving, roleplaying, or a combination of the above?

Hack and slash and role playing

16. Are your Players restricted to particular rulebooks and supplements, or will you be allowing access to non-standard material? What sources can Players use for their characters?

Just tell me what your going for and if it's approved be able to back it up with a link if I ask you for it.

Update

You can have 2 traits. No flaws.

I would like you to make your characters on myth-weavers.com

Fast posting game so if you have something that prevents you from posting you can just say that you can't post for a few days and I'll take over for a bit until you come back. If you just disappear for a few days without telling anyone I would just make it that your character ran away to the village and hid out for a few days.

Also I count food and water so make sure your stocked up on all your survival/ misc. items

This game is for the long haul you will level up pretty quick from the games speed and I hope you have fun doing so.

Spoiler: Homebrew feats so far.
    Show

Wild Animal Taming (WAT)

Prerequisite: Handle animal 4 ranks

Benefits: You are able to tame a wild animal. You can tame any animal whose hit dice are equal to or lower than your handle animal skill -3. You cannot tame animals that exceed your handle animal skill. Taming a wild animal takes 3 hour per health dice. You have to make a handle animal check every 3 hours of taming the dc is (10+animal hd+cr of animal) if you fail the dc it takes 6 hours instead of 3 if you fail the dc twice the taming fails and the animal becomes hostile. Also leaving the animal during the taming process resets taming if you are gone for more than a day.

Normal: Without this feat you cannot tame wild animals.

A few more notes I should add your age has to be within 14-20 for the campaign it would suit the story better. You could be in your mid twenties but not much higher.
    Any questions just ask me. I will do my best to answer.
    (A few random things)
    Reberias population is roughly 250
    The terrain around the village is mountains/forest it's a few hundred miles from the nearest town.
    P.s it's 3:37 in the morning for me when I did this so if any things is misspelled or I messed up somewhere I'm sorry kinda tired
    Last edited by Gavriil; 2016-03-07 at 12:50 AM.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Ogre in the Playground

Goblin

Default Re: A classic dnd game (Dnd 3.5)

Ok, this sounds like it could be pretty fun. I'm thinking a gnome barbarian. A little man with anger issues like a titan.

Two things I'd like to request:

- The ferocity alternate class feature for barbarians from the cityscape web enhancement. It changes rage, and can be found here.

- The whisper gnome from races of stone. It can also be viewed here.

The idea being that he's just as suspicious and hard to get along with as other whisper gnomes. The main difference is that where most whisper gnomes deals with problems by simply stepping aside, his go to method is "Beat the problem up with it's own arm."
    Last edited by gremlin-pult; 2016-03-03 at 07:36 AM.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Ogre in the Playground

Hello!

I'm in as a scout. Let's see those stats:
    (1d10+8)[16]
    (1d10+8)[11]
    (1d10+8)[13]
    (1d10+8)[15]
    (1d10+8)[12]
    (1d10+8)[15]

Are traits allowed?
    If yes, rolling two:
    (1d100)[80]
    (1d100)[87]
    'Jernau Gurgeh', the machine said, making a sighing noise, 'a guilty system recognises no innocents. The very way you think places you amongst its enemies. Prevarication will be more difficult than you might imagine; neutrality is probably impossible. You cannot choose not to have the politics you do; they are not some separate set of entities somehow detachable from the rest of your being; they are a function of your existence. I know that and they know that; you had better accept it.'

4. - Top - End - #4
    Ogre in the Playground

Goblin

Aand some stat rolls:

Spoiler: Rollin' rollin' rollin'
    Show

(1d10+8)[17]
    (1d10+8)[13]
    (1d10+8)[14]
    (1d10+8)[14]
    (1d10+8)[15]
    (1d10+8)[18]

Also, you say in the max stat we can have is 17. is that before or after racial bonuses?

EDIT: Holy kneecappin' ragemunchkin, Batman! Those are some good stats. I am gonna be an awesome barbarian
    Last edited by gremlin-pult; 2016-03-03 at 07:26 AM.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Barbarian in the Playground

(1d10+8)[15]
    (1d10+8)[17]
    (1d10+8)[15]
    (1d10+8)[12]
    (1d10+8)[14]
    (1d10+8)[18]

Let's see.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by gremlin-pult View Post
    Aand some stat rolls:

Show

[roll0]
    [roll1]
    [roll2]
    [roll3]
    [roll4]
    [roll5]

Also, you say in the max stat we can have is 17. is that before or after racial bonuses?

EDIT: Holy kneecappin' ragemunchkin, Batman! Those are some good stats. I am gonna be an awesome barbarian
    Quote Originally Posted by Sahleb View Post
    [roll0]
    [roll1]
    [roll2]
    [roll3]
    [roll4]
    [roll5]

Let's see.
    Hey guys, hey you guys! How do I roll like this?
    'Jernau Gurgeh', the machine said, making a sighing noise, 'a guilty system recognises no innocents. The very way you think places you amongst its enemies. Prevarication will be more difficult than you might imagine; neutrality is probably impossible. You cannot choose not to have the politics you do; they are not some separate set of entities somehow detachable from the rest of your being; they are a function of your existence. I know that and they know that; you had better accept it.'

7. - Top - End - #7
    Ogre in the Playground

Goblin

No idea. I don't usually make rolls like that. I'm just chalking it up to murphy taking a nap and rolling with it.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Orc in the Playground

Ok, this sounds like it could be pretty fun. I'm thinking a gnome barbarian. A little man with anger issues like a titan.

Two things I'd like to request:

- The ferocity alternate class feature for barbarians from the cityscape web enhancement. It changes rage, and can be found

- The whisper gnome from races of stone. It can also be viewed
    The idea being that he's just as suspicious and hard to get along with as other whisper gnomes. The main difference is that where most whisper gnomes deals with problems by simply stepping aside, his go to method is "Beat the problem up with it's own arm."
    That class alt is okay and for whisper gnome you can only if you take away the +4 against Giants and spell like abilities. The reason behind taking away the +4 is because it says they go through special training and I don't see any person in a small village going through that and for spell like abilities I'm fine if you have them it just I don't see a barbarian using them ;)

9. - Top - End - #9
    Ogre in the Playground

Goblin

Quote Originally Posted by Gavriil View Post
    That class alt is okay and for whisper gnome you can only if you take away the +4 against Giants and spell like abilities. The reason behind taking away the +4 is because it says they go through special training and I don't see any person in a small village going through that and for spell like abilities I'm fine if you have them it just I don't see a barbarian using them ;)
    Sure, I can live without the Spell like abilities and anti-giant training. I'm a barbarian. I don't need training to take on giants.

And the kobold fighting skills of course come from fighting kobolds.

Also, fun fact. A gnome isn't a full grown adult until he's 40 years old. So my char, who is the tender age of 24, is barely a teenager, at best. Which of course could explain the anger issues and general antisocial-ness...
    Last edited by gremlin-pult; 2016-03-03 at 03:47 PM.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Orc in the Playground

Aand some stat rolls:

Show

[roll0]
    [roll1]
    [roll2]
    [roll3]
    [roll4]
    [roll5]

Oh max 17 is only from point buy I only say that because I have some people put 18 in three stats then the rest are 5 are lower.

Also you see why I like my rolling method better than the 4d6b3? :)

11. - Top - End - #11
    Orc in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by WalkingTheShade View Post
    Hello!

I'm in as a scout. Let's see those stats:
    [roll0]
    [roll1]
    [roll2]
    [roll3]
    [roll4]
    [roll5]

Are allowed?
    If yes, rolling two:
    [roll6]
    [roll7]
    Yeah traits are fine. But no flaws.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Orc in the Playground

Sure, I can live without the Spell like abilities and anti-giant training. I'm a barbarian. I don't need training to take on giants.

And the kobold fighting skills of course come from fighting kobolds.

Also, fun fact. A gnome isn't a full grown adult until he's 40 years old. So my char, who is the tender age of 24, is barely a teenager, at best. Which of course could explain the anger issues and general antisocial-ness...
    Yeah I know elves/gnomes normally have a age difference that was one of the problems that's occurred to me but I think everyone understands what I meant basically rash teens trying to help their village. ;)

Also I will keep updating the first post when I remember the rest of what I'm forgetting but keep making your characters it shouldn't impact anything to much.
    Last edited by Gavriil; 2016-03-03 at 03:52 PM.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Ogre in the Playground

Goblin

I just like the idea of the intrepid human teens, rash though they may be, being joined against their will by what in gnome standards is roughly a psychotic 12-13 year old. Fun times.

14. - Top - End - #14
    Ogre in the Playground

If I roll well I might go with a monk, never tried one before

Rolls:
    (1d10+8)[12]
    (1d10+8)[11]
    (1d10+8)[12]
    (1d10+8)[14]
    (1d10+8)[16]
    (1d10+8)[18]

Spoiler: GitP Quotes
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by fyleisch View Post
    It's come to my attention that some people don't know how to pronounce the name of the deity Fharlanghn. It's simple though - you begin with a Ff- sound, then flap your mouth at random as sounds come out. Continue for 2-90 seconds, depending on devoutness and saliva levels.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dark Shadow View Post
    I think this is the most civil battle between Good and Evil I've ever seen...
    10 Commandments of Op./Practical Op.
    3.5 WBL/GP
    Cleric Domains

15. - Top - End - #15
    Orc in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by wkwkwkwk1 View Post
    If I roll well I might go with a monk, never tried one before

Rolls:
    [roll0]
    [roll1]
    [roll2]
    [roll3]
    [roll4]
    [roll5]
    If you can find a suitable reason for a monk in a village that size that would be pretty good. But if not maybe look at the classes I would prefer please.

Everyone

Also if there are any questions that you have or anything that I should have in my first post tell me. I'll update it as fast as I can.

16. - Top - End - #16
    Ogre in the Playground

Goblin

Question for Gavrill. Would you say that Handle animal could be used to tame a wild animal? By RAW it can only be used on tame animals, or to train a wild animal and tame it from when it's small... But I was thinking that perhaps one could find some feasible DC for handle animal checks to tame a grown one.

No particular reason, of course... Certain gnomes may be entertaining vague goals of one day riding a grizzly into glorious kobold slaughter...

17. - Top - End - #17
    Orc in the Playground

Question for Gavrill. Would you say that Handle animal could be used to tame a wild animal? By RAW it can only be used on tame animals, or to train a wild animal and tame it from when it's small... But I was thinking that perhaps one could find some feasible DC for handle animal checks to tame a grown one.

No particular reason, of course... Certain gnomes may be entertaining vague goals of one day riding a grizzly into glorious kobold slaughter...
    Lemme make a home feat and see if you like it. Also anyone can claim any home brew feats I make.

18. - Top - End - #18
    Ogre in the Playground

Goblin

Yissssss..... The dream lives!

19. - Top - End - #19
    Orc in the Playground

Default Re: A classic dnd game (Dnd 3.5

Spoiler: Homebrew feat.
    Show

Wild Animal Taming (WAT)

Prerequisite: Handle animal 4 ranks

Benefits: You are able to tame a wild animal. You can tame any animal whose hit dice are equal to or lower than your handle animal skill -3. You cannot tame animals that exceed your handle animal skill. Taming a wild animal takes 3 hour per health dice. You have to make a handle animal check every 3 hours of taming the dc is (10+animal hd+cr of animal) if you fail the dc it takes 6 hours instead of 3 if you fail the dc twice the taming fails and the animal becomes hostile. Also leaving the animal during the taming process resets taming if you are gone for more than a day.

Normal: Without this feat you cannot tame wild animals.

Sounds good to you?

So for a brown bear it will be 10+6+4 = 20 so dc 20 for taming a brown bear
    Last edited by Gavriil; 2016-03-03 at 05:57 PM.

20. - Top - End - #20
    Ogre in the Playground

Goblin

That looks very good to me. I think that's gonna be one of my characters "schticks". whenever he sees some big, vicious predatory animal, his first thought is "I want it."

Step one: bear (or wolf, or whatever weak predator gets in his way first.)

Step two: Brown bear

Step 3: Dire bear

Step four: ??

Step five: profit!

21. - Top - End - #21
    Orc in the Playground

That looks very good to me. I think that's gonna be one of my characters "schticks". whenever he sees some big, vicious predatory animal, his first thought is "I want it."

Step one: bear (or wolf, or whatever weak predator gets in his way first.)

Step two: Brown bear

Step 3: Dire bear

Step four: ??

Step five: profit!
    Dc for wolf is only 13
    Dc for Brown bear is 20
    Dc for dire bear is 29 unless you want the biggest one (dc 53)
    Dc for legendary bear is 39 unless biggest one (59)
    For fun biggest trex dc is 72

I think it could work lol only thing I'm thinking about is the training time it seems short for me but I could be wrong.

22. - Top - End - #22
    Ogre in the Playground

Goblin

Quote Originally Posted by Gavriil View Post
    Dc for wolf is only 13
    Dc for Brown bear is 20
    Dc for dire bear is 29 unless you want the biggest one (dc 53)
    Dc for legendary bear is 39 unless biggest one (59)
    For fun biggest trex dc is 72

I think it could work lol only thing I'm thinking about is the training time it seems short for me but I could be wrong.
    Yeah, you're probably right about the time rate. Let's compare it with the other handle animal things one can do.

For example:
    Teaching an already tamed animal a single trick (fetch, come, sit, attack, etc.) takes one week, where I must spend 3 hours each day training the animal. Halfway through the training time I then make a handle animal check agaiinst whatever the DC is. If I fail the check, I have to start over (unless I'm trying to rear a wild animal from baby. then I only get one shot, with no do overs if I fail the check). If I succeed I then have to do the remaining half week of training before it's complete.

So I'd say that rather it takes maybe two days of training (3 hours a day) for each HD the animal has, and if I fail the check halfway through then I can't tame that particular animal. If I succeed the animal would then be accustomed enough to me that I can start spending time on teaching it tricks.

Of course, I'd say that with the time it takes Handle animal is something best done when the party has some downtime, rather than mid-game.

EDIT: Also, another interesting tidbit of Handle animal is that I can actually use it on creatures that aren't animals. They need to have an Int of 1 or 2, and the DC increases by 5, but it means that I could tame some of the dumber magical beasts. Oh, the possibilities... I wonder if there are any wyverns with Int 2...

EDIT EDIT: Oh my lord, a basilisk is dumb enough to be trained... Muahahaha! And so is a Bulette. A friggin' landshark!
    Last edited by gremlin-pult; 2016-03-03 at 05:57 PM.

23. - Top - End - #23
    Orc in the Playground

Yeah, you're probably right about the time rate. Let's compare it with the other handle animal things one can do.

For example:
    Teaching an already tamed animal a single trick (fetch, come, sit, attack, etc.) takes one week, where I must spend 3 hours each day training the animal. Halfway through the training time I then make a handle animal check agaiinst whatever the DC is. If I fail the check, I have to start over (unless I'm trying to rear a wild animal from baby. then I only get one shot, with no do overs if I fail the check). If I succeed I then have to do the remaining half week of training before it's complete.

So I'd say that rather it takes maybe two days of training (3 hours a day) for each HD the animal has, and if I fail the check halfway through then I can't tame that particular animal. If I succeed the animal would then be accustomed enough to me that I can start spending time on teaching it tricks.

Of course, I'd say that with the time it takes Handle animal is something best done when the party has some downtime, rather than mid-game.

EDIT: Also, another interesting tidbit of Handle animal is that I can actually use it on creatures that aren't animals. They need to have an Int of 1 or 2, and the DC increases by 5, but it means that I could tame some of the dumber magical beasts. Oh, the possibilities... I wonder if there are any wyverns with Int 2...

EDIT EDIT: Oh my lord, a basilisk is dumb enough to be trained... Muahahaha! And so is a Bulette. A friggin' landshark!
    So is the Tarrasque...

And updated the feat. It goes to say though you could leave the animal for 12 hours and come back but it doesn't count towards training time.

24. - Top - End - #24
    Ogre in the Playground

Goblin

Yeah, sounds fair. It'll take work to tame animals, but that just means that I'd generally wait with taming something until I was almost certain it would succeed (IE, enough skill ranks that the risk of failure is low.) I can live with that.

25. - Top - End - #25
    Orc in the Playground

Yeah, sounds fair. It'll take work to tame animals, but that just means that I'd generally wait with taming something until I was almost certain it would succeed (IE, enough skill ranks that the risk of failure is low.) I can live with that.
    Yep. ;) Any other questions? Or are you good for now?

26. - Top - End - #26
    Ogre in the Playground

Goblin

I am good. I will finish my character sometime tomorrow, I think. It's mostly fluff I'm missing. I'm just a bit too tired to write it out tonight.

27. - Top - End - #27

Posting an interest in this, but I have a few questions.
    1) Could you clarify what's meant by "Just a classic mid evil dnd game"?
    2) When you say we can change into a new class at level 3, do you mean we can begin taking levels in a new class from level 3 up as an exception to the multiclassing restriction (so if I started as a barbarian, at level 3 I could become a barbarian 2/factotum 1), or do you mean that you retrain your previous levels (becoming, in this example, a factotum 3)?
    3) Are barbarian, ranger, fighter, rogue and scout the only choices we have regarding starting class, or are they just examples of tier 4 noncasting classes?
    4) Is the "no magic" restriction in effect for the whole game, or just until we reach level 3? If the former, are you aware that nearly all the tier 2+s use magic?
    5) How do you feel about a) Tome of Battle, Psionics, etc, and b) backporting Pathfinder material? One or both of these may be made irrelevant by the answers to the above.

28. - Top - End - #28
    Orc in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by pi4t View Post
    Posting an interest in this, but I have a few questions.
    1) Could you clarify what's meant by "Just a classic mid evil dnd game"?
    2) When you say we can change into a new class at level 3, do you mean we can begin taking levels in a new class from level 3 up as an exception to the multiclassing restriction (so if I started as a barbarian, at level 3 I could become a barbarian 2/factotum 1), or do you mean that you retrain your previous levels (becoming, in this example, a factotum 3)?
    3) Are barbarian, ranger, fighter, rogue and scout the only choices we have regarding starting class, or are they just examples of tier 4 noncasting classes?
    4) Is the "no magic" restriction in effect for the whole game, or just until we reach level 3? If the former, are you aware that nearly all the tier 2+s use magic?
    5) How do you feel about a) Tome of Battle, Psionics, etc, and b) backporting Pathfinder material? One or both of these may be made irrelevant by the answers to the above.
    (1) My auto correct messed it up. Was supposed to be Medieval.
    (2) When you hit level 3 you can change to tier 3 classes. So level 2 barbarian/factotum.
    (3) There ones that I looked over and seemed to fit the starting area best. You can some more starting classes but you have to first get them approved by me first. Also you need a valid reason for why you are that class.
    (4) It's not for the whole game just to level 3. I know about higher tiers have magic in them I just want to stay away for world changing classes for awile. But I'm not preventing anything later on. You can keep your starting class if you want. The classes I put in the 16 are preferred for role playing purposes.
    (5) I'm not merging pathfinder material in this campaign just sticking with 3.5 Dnd. As for tome of battle and psionics its case by case just put a link down and then I'll look it over.

29. - Top - End - #29

Nice, I've always enjoyed games which do things like that for some reason. I might play a character who wants to become a wizard, but hasn't been able to pay for training. Is it just class that gets changed, or do things like feats also get swapped? If not, what happens of we no longer meet the prerequisites for them? I take it we keep the same ability scores at least?

Edit: I'm thinking of the progression rogue-beguiler-??-wizard, but can't find any tier 2 intelligence based casters which make sense in that progression. Do you know of any, or would you mind changing some charisma based class to intelligence?

Double edit: oops, I misread your response to my barbarian/factotum question, invalidating this idea. Sorry.
    Last edited by pi4t; 2016-03-04 at 06:53 AM.

30. - Top - End - #30
    Orc in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by pi4t View Post
    Nice, I've always enjoyed games which do things like that for some reason. I might play a character who wants to become a wizard, but hasn't been able to pay for training. Is it just class that gets changed, or do things like feats also get swapped? If not, what happens of we no longer meet the prerequisites for them? I take it we keep the same ability scores at least?
    Stats and everything stay the same it just you progress onto the next class if you know how to work it you can make some really strong characters with a very rich backstory.