New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more

Thread: Favored Classes

1. - Top - End - #1
    Pixie in the Playground

ElfMonkGuy

Default Favored Classes

Every race has a favored class of some sort. This is supposed to represent a culteral or racial tendency towards that class. However, when taking a closer look at favored classes, I found that some races are drasticly unsuited for their favored class. I hope to provide a detailed analysis of races, their favored classes, and their 'real' favored class. Let us start with the one that got it all started, for me at least. Please note that this is mearly a guide, you are of course free to play whatever you want.

Elf
    Favored Class: Wizard
    Ah yes, the elf. Everyones favorite race of graceful, long-lived, hot beings. And mysterious too, keepers of arcane lore from ages past, well known as wielders of arcane magics far beyond the ken of lesser mortals. Or so they say. In reality, elves are horribly unsuited to being wizards, or most ohter arcane casters for that matter. Let us start with the ability adjustments.
    Elves get +2 to Dex. Nice, helps then boost their horrible AC a little, something arcane caster desperately need. -2 to Con however, not good at all, since most arcane casters have horrible hit points as well. The penalty outweighs the bonus in my opinion, as the Dex boost doesn't really do that much for them.
    Low-Light vision-A plus for any class.
    Immune to sleep, +2 to saves vs. Enchantment-Nice, but not really needed. Will saves are the wizards best, so this really isn't needed all that much.
    Weapon Proficiencies-As V said, there is a vast difference between being proficient with something and being good at it.
    Skill Bonuses-All to skills that aren't class skills. Still, those skills are ones worth having. Unfortunately, if the wizard wanted to keep them up, he would have to spend six skill points a level just to be decent at them. They may have high intellingences, but they would need an Int of 20+ just to be able to put skill points in other, wizarding skills.

Real Favored Class:Scout, Rogue, Bard
    These are the real elf favored classes. The bard is the only real arcane caster the elf could be good at, and only because of it's rogue-like skills and abilities. They would excell as scouts, rogues, and other sneaky classes. The bonus to Dex helps a lot, while you can reduce the effects of the Con penalty by specializing in ranged combat. The longbow proficiencies help here. All the skill bonuses are class skills that the elf would be likely to take. The sleep immunity and saving throw bonus help, since Will is a bad saving throw for them. And the low-light vision helps everyone. I would have to say that the scout would be the best choice for an elf. Battle Fortitude and higher HD than a rogue help offset it's Con penalty.

It is really late right now, I'll have more for you later.
    Last edited by CervantesTheDefenestrator; 2007-06-19 at 12:50 AM.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: Favored Classes

Fluff-wise, Elves favorite class should be Druid or Ranger.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Bugbear in the Playground

Mind you, gray elves are the one of the two best races for wizard (the other being human).
    I am a poor man, some say I’m half crazy,
    son of the sword and the knife
    Lady I pledge you my sword and my honor,
    my heart and my pride and my life
    --Bella Doña, by Joe Bethancourt
    Spoiler
    Show

Alas, poor Draknir. By Mephibosheth

Owl-atar by KingGolem
    You will be missed, dear 'stache...

4. - Top - End - #4
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Mann View Post
    Mind you, gray elves are the one of the two best races for wizard (the other being human).
    What about gnomes?
    Thanks to Veera for the avatar.

I keep my stories in a blog. You should read them.

5E Sorcerous Origin: Arcanist

Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by ClericofPhwarrr View Post
    Dhavaer, your ideas are like candy from the sky, sprinkled lightly with cinnamon.
    Quote Originally Posted by Gwyn chan 'r Gwyll View Post
    Wow. Badass without being flashy and showy, attractive while remaining classy. Bravo Dhavaer.
    Quote Originally Posted by Psyren View Post
    ...Why do I imagine you licking your lips and rubbing your hands together?

5. - Top - End - #5

Quote Originally Posted by Dhavaer View Post
    What about gnomes?
    The problem with gnomes is that once you play one, you are, in fact, a gnome, and who wants that?

I'm kidding, they are a good race, even if they are gnomes.
    TopSecret's First Ever Two Page Tabletop Contest
    If you have any questions, want to talk about the contest entries, or you just want to hang out with cool people, visit our forums.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Dhavaer View Post
    What about gnomes?
    No-one cares about gnomes. Ever.
    It's not Lupus.

7. - Top - End - #7

Gnomes vs. Gray Elves

Bonus to Intelligence versus Constitution. Unless you want to be an Illusionist one is more generally helpful to a mage if you ask me, since hit points are going to suck no matter what when its a caster.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Barbarian in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Forevergrey View Post
    Normal (rock) gnomes, true. Whispergnomes (from Races of Stone), on the other hand, make wickedly good rogues. +12 and Dex bonus to Hide at level 1? Yes please!
    Veryn's Sliver, by Talfrey:
    Spoiler
    Show

9. - Top - End - #9
    Retired Mod in the Playground Retired Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by Forevergrey View Post
    Wait... did you just insult gnomes? Don't make me bring out my hooked hammer and wand of silent image!
    Visit the Chocolate Hammer IRC channel!
    (IRC Joining Guide Here!)

10. - Top - End - #10
    Ogre in the Playground

In all seriousness, if the Wizard is getting hit, the party is doomed. It's like a game of Chess, where the Wizard has to be protected like a King(or Queen, actually, since they have the super-long range and versatility of one). However, once you lose the Queen, it comes down to the rest of the troops, and frankly, it's pretty hard to check the opponent with just a Bishop and a Rook.

In all seriousness, the party should be protecting the Wizard, and the Wizard should be bombarding the opposition with stuff that doesn't involve damage. Wizard either dies in one shot, or never gets touched. Constitution won't make a jot of difference. Well, one micrometre in a kilometre of factors.
    President of the Society for Hobgoblin Equality in Level Adjustment(SHELA)

Glowing Kitty from Lilly
    Wren Worgatar by Mephibosheth
    The Living Bullet!
    Unusual Inner Animal Avatar from Quincunx.
    Whenever you mention Pun-pun*SQUELCH!*, Ao kills another Kobold.
    Everytime someone says "Pazuzu" twice, Ao erases them on the next "Pa". Then he undeletes them so he can wipeinfo them from the multiverse.
    Everytime you kill a catgirl, I get more company.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Titan in the Playground

You can't insult gnomes, just as you can't insult squirrels.
    And anyway, I'd agree. Gray Elves are best wizard class, but they're just one subrace. They could have Wizard as favored class, but other elves will be better off with bards.

In all seriousness, the party should be protecting the Wizard, and the Wizard should be bombarding the opposition with stuff that doesn't involve damage. Wizard either dies in one shot, or never gets touched. Constitution won't make a jot of difference. Well, one micrometre in a kilometre of factors.
    Except that when wizard gets hit, which happens, those few hit points could make a difference, especially at low levels.
    Last edited by Morty; 2007-06-19 at 03:30 AM.
    My FFRP characters. Avatar by Ashen Lilies. Sigatars by Ashen Lilies, Gullara and Purple Eagle.
    Interested in the Nexus FFRP setting? See our Discord server.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by M0rt View Post
    Except that when wizard gets hit, which happens, those few hit points could make a difference, especially at low levels.
    Hardly. A Wizard is on average 1-2 HP per level less than any other Wizard.

Assuming Base scores of 10, 12, 14, 16, 18.
    ||||Elf |Human| Gnome/Dwarf
    10|| 3 || 4 |||| 5
    12|| 4 || 5 |||| 6
    14|| 5 || 6 |||| 7
    16|| 6 || 7 |||| 8
    18|| 7 || 8 |||| 9

At level 1, you're probably facing Goblins, Kobolds, and other Small races, who would usually have -2 Strength. Say they're using Shortswords for their size, this brings it up to 1d4-1. If they're Rogues, that becomes 1d4-1+1d6. Enough to kill even a Gnome or Dwarf Wizard. This is before criticals. It seriously doesn't make a difference. You're either going to be bleeding to death, dead, or lose a spell after a couple of smacks. Conversely, you cast Sleep, your party wins(assuming the tank didn't stupidly charge into the midst of them, which your +2 Dex helps to prevent).
    President of the Society for Hobgoblin Equality in Level Adjustment(SHELA)

Glowing Kitty from Lilly
    Wren Worgatar by Mephibosheth
    The Living Bullet!
    Unusual Inner Animal Avatar from Quincunx.
    Whenever you mention Pun-pun*SQUELCH!*, Ao kills another Kobold.
    Everytime someone says "Pazuzu" twice, Ao erases them on the next "Pa". Then he undeletes them so he can wipeinfo them from the multiverse.
    Everytime you kill a catgirl, I get more company.