Support the GITP forums on Patreon
Help support GITP's forums (and ongoing server maintenance) via Patreon

Thread: 5e - Ribbons

1. - Top - End - #1
    Bugbear in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Default 5e - Ribbons

So I'm trying to come up with a few Ribbons, and I'm not 100% sure how they work.

I know that they do not give any kind of bonus to combat, but can they grant new skills? Or change previous skills? What about tools? Or is it just a "here's a cool thing you can do that has no bearing on anything"?

The only two features I know of that are specifically referred to as Ribbons are Thieve's Cant and Storm Guide. Are there any other specific examples out there?

Thanks!

2. - Top - End - #2

Default Re: 5e - Ribbons

Quote Originally Posted by Oramac View Post
    So I'm trying to come up with a few Ribbons, and I'm not 100% sure how they work.

I know that they do not give any kind of bonus to combat, but can they grant new skills? Or change previous skills? What about tools? Or is it just a "here's a cool thing you can do that has no bearing on anything"?

The only two features I know of that are specifically referred to as Ribbons are Thieve's Cant and Storm Guide. Are there any other specific examples out there?

Thanks!
    Student of War is a good example, off the top of my head. Slow Fall and Primeval Awareness, too (though vis a vis the latter, remember that the 5e ranger is a good lesson in how not to design a class), and arguably the School Savant abilities of the Wizard Traditions (though they're pretty strong for a ribbon). Generally, any minor ability gained along with a more significant one, that doesn't significantly strengthen the character.
    Quote Originally Posted by Toby Frost
    `This is just the beginning, Citizens! Today we have boiled a pot who's steam shall be seen across the entire galaxy. The Tea Must Flow, and it shall! The banner of the British Space Empire will be unfurled across a thousand worlds, carried forth by the citizens of Urn, and before them the Tea shall flow like a steaming brown river of shi-*cough*- shimmering moral fibre!`

3. - Top - End - #3

PaladinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by TheTeaMustFlow View Post
    Snip

Generally, any minor ability gained along with a more significant one, that doesn't significantly strengthen the character.
    So should the Ribbon be similar to the feature gained at the same level? Which is to say, if the feature grants "X", the Ribbon should grant "Fluff of X"?

4. - Top - End - #4

So should the Ribbon be similar to the feature gained at the same level? Which is to say, if the feature grants "X", the Ribbon should grant "Fluff of X"?
    I don't see that that's particularly necessary, though of course you will want the abilities of a class or archetype to be thematically similar anyway. Student of War, for example, is tangentially related to Combat Superiority at best, though they both reflect the Battlemaster's general concept of being a skilled, educated warrior.
    Quote Originally Posted by Toby Frost
    `This is just the beginning, Citizens! Today we have boiled a pot who's steam shall be seen across the entire galaxy. The Tea Must Flow, and it shall! The banner of the British Space Empire will be unfurled across a thousand worlds, carried forth by the citizens of Urn, and before them the Tea shall flow like a steaming brown river of shi-*cough*- shimmering moral fibre!`

5. - Top - End - #5

PaladinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by TheTeaMustFlow View Post
    I don't see that that's particularly necessary, though of course you will want the abilities of a class or archetype to be thematically similar anyway. Student of War, for example, is tangentially related to Combat Superiority at best, though they both reflect the Battlemaster's general concept of being a skilled, educated warrior.
    Got it. Thanks for the tips! Now I just gotta get creative......

6. - Top - End - #6

Goblin

Timeless Body feature is another good example, as is the _____ Savant feature for the various wizard schools. I'd argue that Land's Stride verges on being a ribbon, though maybe it's just a tad too crunchy to really qualify
    My homebrew: A list of 5e homebrew magitech augments found here, a homebrew race of devil-toads here, and the Professional, an all mundane support class. Criticism is much appreciated!

7. - Top - End - #7
    Barbarian in the Playground

That may come off as shameless promotion, but I got 100+ of them in this document here. Might do it for you or at least give you some inspiration.
    My Homebrew
    5e - The Artificer (of Alancia)
    AGE of Darkness, converting World of Darkness to AGE
    Dungeons & Dark Souls, bringing the Souls universe to your 5e

My DMs Guild products

8. - Top - End - #8

PaladinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by DiBastet View Post
    That may come off as shameless promotion, but I got 100+ of them in this document here. Might do it for you or at least give you some inspiration.
    I can't see DMsG at work, but I'll take a look!

Shameless promotion is fine by me.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Colossus in the Playground

Shameless promotion is fine by me.
    Only if it's good shameless promotion.

And DiBastet? Does good work.
    I have a LOT of Homebrew!

Spoiler: Former Avatars
    Show
    Spoiler: Avatar (Not In Use) By Professor Gnoll!
    Show

Spoiler: Avatar (Not In Use) By Cdr. Fallout!
    Show

10. - Top - End - #10
    Ettin in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Elves' Trance is a ribbon. Trance doesn't void an elf's need for 8 hours rest to gain benefits of a long rest.

In other words, even an elf must spend an equal amount of time resting like a member of any other race would to regain their x/long rest abilities.
    Last edited by Arkhios; 2016-03-14 at 03:19 PM.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Barbarian in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by JNAProductions View Post
    Only if it's good shameless promotion.

And DiBastet? Does good work.
    Spoiler
    Show

We live to serve.
    My Homebrew
    5e - The Artificer (of Alancia)
    AGE of Darkness, converting World of Darkness to AGE