New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Ogre in the Playground

Default New(ish) PC games that play like Jak and Daxter?

Hi. I've got a craving for 3D platformers that play like the ones from the early 2000s. I don't have any consoles anymore, so candidate games have to play well on new midrange PC hardware.

So, anything published since, say, 2008? It has to have very fluid and responsive control of character movement, and support using a controller. I'd prefer that it be available on Steam.
    Quote Originally Posted by Harnel View Post
    where is the atropal? and does it have a listed LA?

2. - Top - End - #2
    Firbolg in the Playground

Flumph

Default Re: New(ish) PC games that play like Jak and Daxter?

Y'know, I can't even think of any modern 3D platforming games apart from Mario. Even on the consoles.

Dolphin emulator and Mario Galaxy?

3. - Top - End - #3
    Titan in the Playground

Well, I know of two Kickstarter games that will qualify once release - A Hat in Time and Yooka-Laylee, the former inspired by and the latter a spiritual successor being made by the creators of in my opinion the best 3D platformer, Banjo-Kazooie. But neither one is released nor even has a solid release date yet it looks like.

And yeah, that aside, the genre is pretty dry besides Mario and what little is left of Sonic these days. 2D platformers have enjoyed a revival, but 3D ones haven't really been around for quite some time now.
    Last edited by Zevox; 2016-03-09 at 09:02 PM.
    Toph Pony avatar by Dirtytabs. Thanks!

"When I was ten, I read fairy tales in secret and would have been ashamed if I had been found doing so. Now that I am fifty, I read them openly. When I became a man, I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up." -C.S. Lewis

4. - Top - End - #4
    Pixie in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by gomipile View Post
    Hi. I've got a craving for 3D platformers that play like the ones from the early 2000s. I don't have any consoles anymore, so candidate games have to play well on new midrange PC hardware.

So, anything published since, say, 2008? It has to have very fluid and responsive control of character movement, and support using a controller. I'd prefer that it be available on Steam.
    I use some hacks in the game I play and it really helps me.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Titan in the Playground

There's not really anything. A Hat in Time is great, but more of a Banjo-Kazooie successor than anything (and a much better one than either of the Yooka-Laylee games, for that matter).

I just re-bought the Jak and Daxter Collection for PS3 out of a similar hankering, after being bamboozled by the incredibly bad PS4 collection.

Edit: Blast it all, I've been bamboozled by a Ghost of Threads Past.
    Last edited by Rynjin; 2020-12-21 at 06:22 PM.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Pixie in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by gomipile View Post

I have an acc on Steam since 2012...