Map of Elsir Vale

Spoiler: Former Players
    Show

Character Player Race Class Level XP
    Romanov JNAProductions Grey Elf Wizard 5 Dead
    Rinn Holy-hunter Halfling Rogue 5 Left
    Manai Eloel Gnome Druid 5 Left
    Hera Eloel Wolf Companion 4 Left
    Last edited by achinca; 2016-07-20 at 10:15 AM.
    Spoiler
    Show
    I am DMing Red Hand of Doom - IC - OOC

Titus in Red Hand of Doom

Playing Pelric Rantceur, a level 5 cleric in Nightfall - IC - OOC

2. - Top - End - #2
    Ettin in the Playground

Zombie

Default Re: Red Hand of Doom (IC)

History of Elsir Vale

Elsir Vale is a thinly populated human frontier vale and includes the surrounding wilder lands. The vale stretches almost 250 miles east to west and averages about 70 miles north to south. Several small mountain ranges and dense forests form the vale's borders.

The scattered human towns and villages of the area grew up along the Dawn Way, an important east-west trade road linking the heavily settled lands that lie northwest across the Endless Plains with the exotic kingdoms and goods of the coastal lands lying to the southeast. Much of the Dawn Way was built by an ancient dwarf-kingdom that spanned the Wyrmsmoke and Giantshield Mountains more than a thousand years ago. While the dwarves are long gone, their roads, bridges and cisterns remain in use to chis day. After the dwarf-realm passed, the presence of various monsters and raiders kept traffic along the Dawn Way light for many years; few caravans dared the long and dangerous trek. Few humans lived in Elsir Vale during those years-only scattered settlements of druidic folk who left behind little more than grassy barrows and stone circles on the hilltops.

About five hundred years ago, the nearby city of Rhest came to control the vale and a large swath of land north of the Giantshields as well. Soldiers from Rhest secured the roads all the way to Dennovar and beyond, creating a safe passage for trade. More and more traders traveled the Dawn Way, and the kingdom of Rhestilor grew wealthy on the tariffs exacted from the passing merchants. Under the kingdom's shield, the towns a long the Dawn Way-Brindol, Talar, Terrelton, and the rest-grew up from tiny hamlets or lonely soldiers' posts to flourishing human settlements.

The kingdom of Rhestilor eventually collapsed under civil strife, monstrous incursions, and magical blights. Almost two hundred years ago, the city of Rhest was burned by a savage horde out of the Wyrmsmoke Mountains .Although the warriors of Rhestilor killed many of the goblins and their kind, the city was abandoned and the already weakened kingdom broken. The locks and canals surrounding Rhest fell into disrepair, and the Blackfens swallowed the ruined city.

In the years since the kingdom's fall, the towns of Elsir Vale, have come to look after themselves. Most of the local lords, such as Jarmaath of Brindol, still hold tides derived from the old kingdom of Rhestilor. While everybody knows that the kings of Rhestilor are long dead, no new realm has arisen in the vale.
    Spoiler
    Show

3. - Top - End - #3
    Ettin in the Playground

Zombie

It is the end of another hot dry day in the middle of the typical hot dry summer of Elsir Vale. The scenery consists mainly of a mix of grasslands, hills, light woods, and brush land. There was not a single cloud in the sky all day to lower the heat from the hot sun. Finally, some settled lands appeared, mainly cleared farm land. A village or town should be close as the outlying farms and homesteads are closer together. Finally the tiny hamlet of Antiboul appears. It has a few houses, a temple without the symbol of any specific god and the only large building has the sign “The Blind Archer” on top of its door.

Four very different looking individuals arrive in Antiboul as the sun is setting down. The first is a strange pair. There is an old elf, looking grey from head to toe but this could be the dust from the road clinging to his outfit. He is wearing a grey robe, has a long bow on his back and his riding a donkey. Next to him, riding a majestic warhorse is a human in full breastplate armor, even with the heat is a young human. There is dust covered sweat all over his face. There is a great sword at his side and a crossbow on his back.

A few moment later, a young looking and totally insouciant looking Halfling appears, as if looking for mischief. He is wearing a studded leather armor and has a sling and a dagger at his waist. He is on foot but somehow, no noise can be heard as his boots crushes twigs and dirt.

Finally, a large, scary looking wolf appears, with a small, old gnome on top of it. He is wearing a regular outfit and no weapons are visible. However, the sight of the large wolf is terrifying. A young mother carrying produces and with a child in toe, sees the wolf, screams in fear and runs the other way. A few seconds later, the door from the Blind Archer opens and a heavy looking man appears and does not seems phased by the sight of the large wolf. “What is going on?
    Spoiler
    Show

4. - Top - End - #4
    Troll in the Playground

RogueGuy

"Rumors reach across countries" Manai starts. "Dragons, especially the destructive ones, have no business here."

Pausing for a second.

"We are here to help." he finally finishes, petting Hera.
    Quote Originally Posted by Thajocoth View Post
    The reason Pun-Pun doesn't work is because he doesn't have to. He can just sit around all day and let his wishes do the work for him.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Ogre in the Playground

Goblin

Looking briefly at his elven companion, and sparing a short glance for the two other travelers, Gabriel gave the burly man a tired smile. "Greetings, friend. My companion and I are travelling mercenaries, here looking for a place to rest, and some work to put coin in our pockets." He said. Although he was tired and in no mood to be kept away from a well earned mug of ale and a meal, he knew that it was seldom a good idea to be unduly rude to the locals of... well, anywhere, really.
    "Also." He added, as if it was an afterthought "There are rumors of troubles in the area. So work should be easy enough to find."

At the wolf riding gnome's words, Gabriel's brow furrowed slightly. Dragons? He thought Quite a bit above my paygrade... But it's most likely simply rumors that have grown as they traveled.
    Last edited by gremlin-pult; 2016-03-10 at 05:20 PM.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Ogre in the Playground

Spoiler: Prior arrival
    Show
    Rinn was short and scrawny, even by halfling standards. Maybe that was his driving feature and reason he felt he had to prove himself, or maybe it was just his deep un-sated curiosity.

Rinn had a fair childhood, moderate wealth, plenty of friends, both parents and a younger sister.
    His father was some what of a famous story teller, enough so he made a living from it and was often paid to travel and share his skill before nobles.

While he could make great money in such journeys he instead chose to remain in town where he was adored and shared his gift cheaply.

Rinn grew up hearing of all the great hero's feats and clever exploits. It filled him with wonder and hope.
    Even when he was sent to bed or his father had an audience of adults only, Rinn would often sneak out and find a way and place to secretly listen.

A young Rinn apprenticed himself to the local locksmith. While openly teaching such things to a halfling would caused many frowns, he was his fathers son, so it was allowed.
    His nimble fingers and keen senses took to the skill with ease, Rinn's desire to make himself useful to an adventuring party drove him to train and study hard at every chance he got.

One day, a passing Cleric of Kord enlisted his skills to open a small box she had chanced upon. Upon discussion he realises that his own chaotic sense of good was matched by hers and he quickly seized the opportunity to travel with the mercenary, offering his skills and some pretty words.

A few jobs later and they find themselves travelling down a dusty road of Elsir Vale, delivering a mcguffin on a fine sunny morning.

Despite the attraction of a new town, the possibility of a warm bed and a hot meal, Rinn was feeling down.
    As he heard the word that once put an eager excitement to his face, it now only sullen his mood further.
    'Mercenary'
    He had now lived a smidgen of that life and tasted only the horrors untold in stories and experienced none of the glory. He had not left home alone but that is how he arrived at his destination.

Rinn does not stop with the others, instead moving forward without drawing any attention to himself, only to slip to the side further up and watch the outcome. He listens and silently follows. He is curious about this brave mercenary and large wolf riding gnome but decides to learn more on favour of acting to quick.
    Spoiler: Rolls
    Show
    Tailing
    Move silently (1d20+18)[30]
    Hide (1d20+20)[30]
    Spot (1d20+10)[14]
    Listen (1d20+10)[20]
    Bluff (1d20+9)[21]
    Spoiler: Additional
    Show
    AC: 17
    HP: 18/18
    Fort/ref/will: 2/8/2 + [roll]1d20[/roll]
    Effect:

Last edited by Holy-hunter; 2016-03-10 at 08:49 PM.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Ettin in the Playground

Zombie

The burly man looks at the newcomers, from the old gnome on the large wolf, to the young human on the beautiful warhorse to the silent elf to the halfling. "Wait? Where is the halfling? Wheren't there an halfling a few moment ago?anyway ....."

He clears his voice "Mercenaries you said? In my days we use to call them adventurers. I used to be an adventurer until I took an arrow in the knee. Dragons you said? Troubles you said? always exagerated storeis about lizards and pests. There is no trouble in the Vale. Anyway, you can stay in the hot sun outside or get shade inside. Name is Alcantara and I have the best ale in Antiboul"

He takes a deep breath and yells to no one in particular "IT IS OK FOLKS. THE BEAST IS DOMESTICATED. JUST SOME TRAVELERS PASSING BUY. NOTHING TO BE AFRAID OFF." After he says that, a couple of windows open slightly and you can see curious faces starring at you.
    Spoiler
    Show

8. - Top - End - #8
    Ogre in the Playground

Goblin

"Heh, I did suspect that it was exaggerated. Rumors usually are. Nonetheless, I am sure there is someone here who can use strong sword arm." Gabriel said with a smile. "Anyway, I would be pleased to rent a room for the night and a good meal in the shade. How about you, old man?" He said, glancing down at the elf at his side.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Ogre in the Playground

The burly mans slight puzzlement didn't go unnoticed. A smirk began to sleek across the young halflings face until it was shut down by his insecurities. 'sure he doesn't know where you have gone, But he does know you are gone. You failed, you were noticed.'
    That harsh yet familiar inner voice kept him in check, kept him sharp, it tore him down.

With a tap of his magical hat his clothing shifts colours to match the more familiar feel of the town and he appears to grow half a foot without actually growing. He quickly scribes some mental notes of this greeting man Alcantara.

Boastfully proud,
    Position of ownership
    Sense of endearment to town and responsibility for it's folk

Rinn instantly marked him as a person of interest and any and all info on him may help curd favour later on.

For now, keen to get out of the sun, he kept to the shadows and snuck ahead of the others into the Blind Archer. Snapping up a left over glass he cradles it like his own as he sits casually among others but not to close to be noticed.
    His ears and eyes readily peeled for information, especially of the so called adventurers.

Show

Move silently (1d20+18)[38]
    Hide (1d20+20)[31]
    Spot (1d20+10)[26]
    Listen (1d20+10)[19]
    Bluff (1d20+9)[26]
    Show
    Fort/ref/will: 2/8/2 + (1d20)[11]
    Effect:

10. - Top - End - #10
    Troll in the Playground

RogueGuy

Manai jumps off Hera, and walks inside. He has seen his fair share of "civilized" people who can't handle having Hera around.
    "Stick around, this smells wrong." he says in Druidic (not that anyone else understands), going inside.

Spoiler: ooc
    Show

Spot and Listen checks for anything weird:

spot
    (1d20+10)[13]
    listen
    (1d20+12)[20]
    The reason Pun-Pun doesn't work is because he doesn't have to. He can just sit around all day and let his wishes do the work for him.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Colossus in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by gremlin-pult View Post
    "Heh, I did suspect that it was exaggerated. Rumors usually are. Nonetheless, I am sure there is someone here who can use strong sword arm." Gabriel said with a smile. "Anyway, I would be pleased to rent a room for the night and a good meal in the shade. How about you, old man?" He said, glancing down at the elf at his side.
    Feh. Sleep is for those that aren't elves. That being said, a bed wouldn't go amiss.
    I have a LOT of Homebrew!

Spoiler: Former Avatars
    Show
    Spoiler: Avatar (Not In Use) By Linkele
    Show

Spoiler: Individual Avatar Pics
    Show

12. - Top - End - #12
    Ogre in the Playground

Goblin

Quote Originally Posted by JNAProductions View Post
    Feh. Sleep is for those that aren't elves. That being said, a bed wouldn't go amiss.
    "Riiight..." Gabriel said with a deadpan look at his mentor. "Cuz there's no way you would ever do something as lowbrow as falling asleep... Say, like while on the road, riding your little hell mule, and snoring enough to wake the dead." He continued, smirking slightly.

13. - Top - End - #13

I trance, young man. Snoring is just my natural defense against predators, Romanov says, completely straight-faced. After a few moments, though, he cracks into a laugh. Who knows, maybe that'll be the newest resurrection spell. I don't know one of those yet.

Show
    Show

Show

14. - Top - End - #14
    Ogre in the Playground

Goblin

"I didn't think Wizards were capable of resurrection. That it was something best left to clerics and priests." Gabriel said with a look of curiousity. While he still intensely disliked spellcasters in general, Romanov's teachings had given him a moderate interest in the workings of magic. Also, understanding it would only make it easier to handle those who used it.
    "Anyway, what do you make of this place? You think there is actually any work to find here? The way the people reacted indicated that they're used to trouble, yet at the same time it seems a fairly peaceful place."
    Last edited by gremlin-pult; 2016-03-11 at 12:21 PM.

15. - Top - End - #15

Peace is a strange thing. It comes and goes, and while all men seek it, so few ever find it.

To answer your question, though... Hell if I know. I'm not a people person nor used to mercenary work. You're a better judge than I, Gabriel.

Show
    Show

Show

16. - Top - End - #16
    Ettin in the Playground

Zombie

While Gabriel and Romanov discuss the virtues of sleeping and snoring, the Halfling sneaks inside the inn, unnoticed by everyone. He somehow looks taller and as is wearing indigenous clothing. Manai jumps of his large wolf and enters the inn, followed by Alcantara, Romanov and Gabriel.

The inn is quite large but not too busy. There is a beat-up dented sword hanging on top of the bar. Alcantara gestures to the waitress who looks a lot like him “Adriana, why don’t you serve these adventurers some refreshing ale.” He points an empty table as he goes behind the bar. He notices Manai and asks in a strong tone “Can you make sure your wolf does not scare the villagers or the livestocks?

The waitress approaches the table with Romanov and Gabriel and asks “What do you want to drink? We also have a great mouton stew for dinner. Do you want some?

Manai and Rinn observes the room and notice that other then them and Romanov, everyone is a human in the inn. Every customer seems to be a local farmer or resident, based on the clothes they are wearing. The only exception is a woman, sitting in a corner, enjoying her meal. She is wearing expensive silk rider clothes like merchant of the region tends to do. Other than her, nothing seems out of place.
    Spoiler
    Show

17. - Top - End - #17
    Ogre in the Playground

Goblin

"That sounds lovely, miss." Gabriel said, smiling at the waitress. "I'll take some of that stew, and we'd like a room for the night, if possible. Also, Alcantara mentioned some good ale, so I'd like a pint of that as well."
    As he sat down Gabriel took his greatsword and crossbow from his back and placed it beside him, leaning against the wall. He then leaned back in his chair and stretched his arms above his head.
    "Mmm..." He said as he stretched, working out the kinks in his body from a days ride. "The best part of travelling truly is when at the end of the day you can sit down and relax with a hot meal."
    Last edited by gremlin-pult; 2016-03-11 at 12:59 PM.

18. - Top - End - #18
    Troll in the Playground

RogueGuy

"Hera doesn't attack unless attacked." Manai answers, as strongly as he's been asked. "Not hungry, thanks." he sits down with the rest of newcomers, watching the lady in the corner. "Who is that?" he asks the waitress the next time she comes around, gesturing at the strangely clothed lady.

19. - Top - End - #19
    Ogre in the Playground

Rinn, after a short wait and sure he is not of focus once again taps his hat, this time he does not grow taller but instead arches like a taller man with a crooked back. Beneath his hood shadows highlight new wrinkles of sudden ageing and he slips on his best wise old 'human' voice.

(I figured no one had a good look at him yet so he can get away with small changes)

Unknown if he was referring to an earlier conversation or simply stating in coincidence, he mentions in passing of Gabriel and Romanov.

"You don't need to be Druid to know what that wolf is smelling right now. You see a town readily retreat behind doors and windows at the drop of a hat and like practised clock work as a champion stands before them as assurance, hell even I can smell the fear in the air.
    The people of this town have known troubles.

Those that have experienced darkness find peace in the lightest of light."

Rinn wasn't exactly sure what he was saying but it sounded good to him, he summoned from his fathers vast wealth of stories and characters and pieced together his own dramatic persona.

But while standing before the old man and apprentice his voice was directed to the attention of the woman yonder, dressed in fine silks.

He thumbed his only two gold coins in his hidden pocket as he slowly walked toward her table. Warily weighing up the possible costs and contemplating the odds. Deciding to go for it he removes half of all his fortune and places it before her on the table.

His every movement slowed for dramatic effect. He hushes his voice as he speaks to only her.

"I hear a travellers story is worth a silver, unfortunately I don't carry silvers but alas if that mind is half as sharp as your face is beautiful, a silver would never be enough for your thoughts."

He begins to slide the coin further across the table to her, a slight reluctance and hesitation in his movement.

Show

Diplomacy(1d20+5)[14]
    Bluff (1d20+9)[27]
    Spot (1d20+10)[20]
    Listen (1d20+10)[17]

Show
    Fort/ref/will: 2/8/2 + (1d20)[3]
    Effect: super smooth!!!!

Last edited by Holy-hunter; 2016-03-11 at 01:34 PM.

20. - Top - End - #20

Romanov stares at the man who decided to suddenly drop some "wisdom", and then says Speak plain, you old goat. I'm smarter than anyone within three standard deviations of the norm, and I don't speak in cryptic nonsense.

Show
    Show

Show

21. - Top - End - #21
    Ogre in the Playground

Goblin

"Smooth as always, eh Romanov..." Gabriel muttered, chuckling slightly. The old man talking nonsense simply got a raised eyebrow. Gabriel had no real interest in riddles, but as long as the old man didn't bother him, he could spout as much nonsense as he wanted.

22. - Top - End - #22
    Ettin in the Playground

Zombie

Gabriel orders the stew and some ale. Adriana nods and says with a proud smile“My mother’s ale is the best in all of Elsir Vale. She stops and giggles “and this is driving my father crazy” At that point Alcantara intervenes “Stop giving the family secrets away girl.” He turns towards Gabriel “Did I hear that you intended in also renting a room?

Manai assures Alcantara that Hera is not a danger. He takes a sit and when Adriana stops by asks her about the woman in the corner. The waitress replies “She is a stranger like you. She arrived this morning with an injured horse. She has been here all day.

Rinn, now looking like an old senile man goes into a crazy rant. Romanov takes offense as the lunacy or the riddle but Gabriel tries to calm his mentor down. Alcantara chips in “There is no trouble. Just rumors about marauders raids. We are a small hamlet near the Wyrmsmoke mountains and the occasional monstrous raid is always on people minds. Plus you know …. Farmers ….

Rinn ignores Gabriel and Alcantara and approaches the woman by the corner. She is relatively pretty, has blonde hair and deep blue eyes. She is middle age but is trying to look younger. She looks at Rinn and his coin on her table and give him a cold smile.”I am not sure if I should be honored or offended by what you are saying. I am not sure if you are trying to buy my companionship, which would be insulting or trying to entertain me which would be gentlemen like. Regardless, my dear elder, I have no use of elder wisdom or advices. My problem is very specific and is not one an older gentleman can solve. It is too dangerous. Now kind Sir, if you would not mind leaving me alone.
    She bows her head and looks at Gabriel and Romanov but focuses on the young human warrior. She is starring at the armor and the weapon behind him. She opens her mouth as to say something, then bites her lip and stays silent.
    Spoiler
    Show

23. - Top - End - #23

You-young girl, Romanov says to the middle-aged woman in the corner, You say you have a dangerous problem? Because my apprentice here could always use more field-testing. And besides, he continues, I'm always a sucker for someone in distress.

Show
    Show

Show

24. - Top - End - #24
    Ogre in the Playground

'Arrogance, loyalty'

Rinn mentally attached the qualities to the old man and apprentice as he continued on by. Concealing a sudden playful smirk that threatened to ruin his act.

-------------------

Rinn grumbles as he joyfully retracts his coin. "Is it a crime to wish for a story to pass the dull repetitious hours of another frivolous day? Rinn slumps even lower and sighs a sad sigh of hurt and disappointment. "Should my presence be an 'inconvenience' I will leave, but know this, judge a soul by the cloth on its back and the divine will frown upon the opportunities you throw away. I just may have been able to help."

Rinn hobbles away defeated and hurt to a dark corner.
    While he played the part and seeked sympathy, the hurt was all too familiar and real. The pain of being shunned and overlooked for his race and size causing a reoccurrence of self doubt.

25. - Top - End - #25
    Troll in the Playground

RogueGuy

"Kids these days, no idea how to talk to a woman." Manai comments in a facepalming fashion. "I'll get mintwater, on the rocks" he tells the waitress, as he gets up and looks out the closest window.

26. - Top - End - #26
    Ogre in the Playground

Goblin

"You're a sucker, alright." Gabriel said as the elf started peddling his services. "If you're going to sell me of to some lady, you could at least buy me dinner first, old man. And let me finish eating it." He grumbled, although it was not hard to see that he meant nothing by it.
    "Nonetheless, He is right about my sword being for hire." He continued, giving a nod and a professional smile to the lady. "For a price, of course." ​He added.

27. - Top - End - #27
    Ettin in the Playground

Zombie

Manai shakes his head at Rinn manners with the woman. He orders mintwater but Adriana replies “Sorry, no mintwater. We only have cucumber water. And good luck finding ice in the Vale in the summer” The gnome goes to the window and sees that a couple of human kids are developed an interest in Hera. They keep their distance but they seems very intrigued by the magnificent animal.

Rinn returns to his table, his little act not having worked the way he hoped. He does lecture the woman about judging a book by its cover. She gives him a polite smile but don’t respond.

Romanov addresses the woman and offers his and Gabriel services. At first, the human seems upset but it is all a joke and confirms that his sword is for hire. The woman gets up and walks toward the grey elf. Her walk is very feminine and full of confidence. She sits across Romanov and starts speaking. “Your young apprentice is definitively someone that can help me and I feel that there is more being these grey eyes than intelligence and experience. My problem is relatively simple but I do not have a solution, here in Antiboul. I am on my way to Drellin’s Ferry to meet someone very important to me. I was told that three guards would meet me today in the Drunk Archer inn this morning. Well it is night and no one has showed up. I was told not to travel alone on my way there so I am stuck here. No one in Antiboul is willing or qualify to escort me. So, if you have nothing else to do or are on your way to Drellin’s Ferry, would you mind being my guards? I will pay for your food and lodging and even a mug of ale or two here and when we arrive at our destination, we will give each of you 20 gold pieces. It is less than a day of riding so it is easy money for you.

She stops and looks around “I wonder who else could come with us. I would be more comfortable with one or more guards. Her eyes wander, first to Rinn then to Manai but says nothing.
    Spoiler
    Show

28. - Top - End - #28
    Ogre in the Playground

Goblin

"20 gold for a days travel, and protection, plus food and lodging paid for today?" Gabriel repeated, mulling it over for a moment. "That's a fair price. We have an accord, madam."
    Gabriel reached across the table with a smile to shake on it. "Of course, as per standard mercenary code, we reserve the right to first pick of any loot we come across while we travel." He then added.

29. - Top - End - #29
    Troll in the Playground

RogueGuy

"I'll take the cucumber water", Manai responds, as he returns.

"Drellin's Ferry, you say?", dropping into the conversation. "Excuse my manners, I couldn't help but listen. We are heading that way ourselves, given that the dragons were apparently just rumors."

"When do you plan on leaving?"

30. - Top - End - #30
    Ogre in the Playground

Goblin

Gabriel gave the gnome a long look before answering, but decided that little harm could come from it. Besides, he had to tell his new employer when they would leave, anyway.
    "We'll leave an hour after dawn. If the trip is a days journey, we'll want to time it so we arrive around nightfall, rather than have to spend a night in the wild. It's an unnecessary risk." He said, his tone making it clear that this was not open for discussion.
    "As for travelling together..." He said, looking at the woman. "That's up to my employer, although I'd advise against it." He continued, giving her a pointed look.

A moment passed "Oh, and while I'm at it, I believe introductions are in order. I am Gabriel Raithe, and my companion goes by Romanov. At your service, madam...?" He added with a questioning glance