New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Halfling in the Playground

MonkGuy

Default Playing the same character in two campaigns at once

Hi all, I have a problem at the table that I would like some advice on.

I, a relatively new GM, have been running a 5e game for four players, all of whom are totally new to tabletop RPGs in general. One of my players decided to play in another campaign at the same time as mine; this was really cool and exciting to me, since I'd made a convert! However, at some point it became clear that he intended to play the same exact character in both games. I strongly advised against this, of course; my game is fairly story-driven and it would be really confusing for everyone involved. Besides as a new player it's a good idea to try out all sorts of different character options; he's playing a monk in my game and it would be good to broaden his game experience.

His other group has played one session so far (we've had 6), and he did end up playing the duplicate character. It is an exact carbon copy, same name and backstory. The other game is also 5e so the mechanics are identical as well. The other DM likely doesn't know, but I don't really know him so I can't be sure. The player says he knows full well that the characters will diverge over time and is okay with that. His reasoning, apparently, is that he already knows how to play his character in my game so he will do better in that game. Notably, his backstory is really cool and has interesting mysteries in it that I wanted to develop, but the other game will likely handle it differently.

After a great deal of thought, I feel very uncomfortable with this situation. I know some people who like to play the same characters over and over gain, but never simultaneously under two different DMs (with totally different styles, as far as I can tell). Has anyone here ever run into a situation like this? What should I do? I really don't want to ruin anyone's fun and I don't want to be a dictator.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Troll in the Playground

BarbarianGuy

Default Re: Playing the same character in two campaigns at once

It's totally irrelevant to your game, it can't possibly make any difference. If he had never told you he was playing another game, you wouldn't know and it wouldn't affect anything.

If it helps you, don't think of it as the same character. Because they are in different games on different character sheets, they are completely unrelated characters. At best, they would be like parallel universe versions of each other that will never interact.

As long as the player knows it isn't the same, and he can't bring stuff over from one game to the other, it makes no difference.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Ogre in the Playground

does it really matter? until he told you/found out your game wasn't affected.

Think of it this way : you can have 2 spiderman comic lines running simultaneously or even seperately. the core idea and concepts are the same, but the execution will change, if only by the nature of the writers (or gm in this case).

4. - Top - End - #4
    Titan in the Playground

If we can have two completely different animated Sonic The Hedgehog TV shows running during the same week for months on end (with the same voice actor for both Sonics), I think you can manage to put up with a player playing the same character in multiple games. My advice would be to make sure you know which show you want your game to run more like, and make sure the players know too, and then everyone can have fun in that particular kind of game with the characters they want to play.

Currently Recruiting WW/Mafia: Logic's Deathloop Mafia and Cazero's Graduates Of Hope's Peak - Danganronpa Mafia

Quote Originally Posted by Xumtiil View Post
    An Abattoir Vecna, if you will.
    My Homebrew

5. - Top - End - #5
    Orc in the Playground

GreataxeFighterGuy

I think that playing the same character in 2 games sounds like a great idea. It seems like your player has put a lot of effort into their character's backstory, and there's nothing wrong with them wanting to explore the possible variations of the character. It won't hit your game. If anything, it will help you, because the player will have more experience with RPing their character.
    Currently worldbuilding Port Demesne: A Safe Harbor in a Shattered World! If you have a moment, I would love your feedback!

6. - Top - End - #6

MonkGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Sam113097 View Post
    I think that playing the same character in 2 games sounds like a great idea. It seems like your player has put a lot of effort into their character's backstory, and there's nothing wrong with them wanting to explore the possible variations of the character. It won't hit your game. If anything, it will help you, because the player will have more experience with RPing their character.
    I'm torn, because I appreciate the dedication but I can't help but think it'll end up a disaster somehow. You say he will have more experience playing the character, but he won't: he'll have experience playing a different character! If the characters get conflated, any plausible character development will be impossible unless the circumstances in the two games are the same (which they obviously won't be).

And the real kicker is that I don't think his other DM knows! At the very least I'll have to remedy that, I think.

Has anyone ever run into a situation like this in practice? Theories are all well and good but it would be better to have something concrete to work from.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Troll in the Playground

BarbarianGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Iguanodon View Post
    I'm torn, because I appreciate the dedication but I can't help but think it'll end up a disaster somehow. You say he will have more experience playing the character, but he won't: he'll have experience playing a different character! If the characters get conflated, any plausible character development will be impossible unless the circumstances in the two games are the same (which they obviously won't be).

And the real kicker is that I don't think his other DM knows! At the very least I'll have to remedy that, I think.

Has anyone ever run into a situation like this in practice? Theories are all well and good but it would be better to have something concrete to work from.
    You are worried about nothing. I think you're taking this "character development" thing a bit seriously. People play multiple games simultaneously all the time, and sometimes people like to play the same sort of character. I don't think anyone usually gets confused about which game they are playing. I would truly be surprised if the other DM even cared, if you tell him. Because this is not a thing to give a second thought to. Or a first thought.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Bugbear in the Playground

d20 Re: Playing the same character in two campaigns at once

He's playing as copies of the same monk? He's Jet Li!
    3e5e : Quintessa's Dweomerdrain (Drain power from a magic item to fuel your spells)
    3e │ 5e : Quintessa's Dweomershield (Protect target from the full effects of a magic item)
    3e │ 5e : Hordling Generator (Edit "cr=" in the address bar to adjust the Challenge Rating)
    3e │ 5e : Battle Sorcerer Tables (For Unearthed Arcana)

9. - Top - End - #9
    Dwarf in the Playground

BardGuy

OP, you are not your player's keeper. If he wants to do something that you fear will be bad for him, the most you can do is narrow down what it would be and tell him the risks.

Now, if you fear it will somehow be bad for you, that may be another matter.
    Do you think that? What is it exactly and why?
    Quote Originally Posted by Red Fel View Post
    But you, as DM, have to be prepared for the PCs to do something stupid and self-destructive, because they will. They can't help it. They're like adorable homicidal children with pennies near a light socket, except that the pennies are chainsaws and the light socket is your plot. Also, the chainsaws are on fire.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Thrudd View Post
    People play multiple games simultaneously all the time, and sometimes people like to play the same sort of character. I don't think anyone usually gets confused about which game they are playing.
    If you're playing the exact same character, I can imagine your memories of two once-a-week games getting mixed up over time. Probably not a big issue, but it could lead to some minor mistakes.
    Not Person_Man, don't thank me for things he did.

Old-to-New table converter. Also not made by me.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Banned

Kobold

OP.
    Let the dude play the same character in two campaigns.
    It means jack diddly squat except MAYBE he'll accidentally grab the other sheet on accident and you'll have to wait for him to get the right one. (Or if he's smart he'll always bring both so that he literally can't make that mistake.)

I am having a hard time figuring out what would go wrong except occasional detail mistakes.

So what if the other DM doesn't know? It's not like he's cheating on either of you. Dude's just playing his character.

Put on your big boy pants and play some d&d.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Ogre in the Playground

Make sure that he understands that everything from the other campaign can't change your campaign. No XP, no gear not even levelling decisions (leike monk/paladin in one campaign and monk/clerik in the other) Even if the character dies in one campaign, it will not affect the other.

Seems like he knows already, but better make sure.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Barbarian in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

I don't think it's your responsibility to "remedy" the game of a DM you don't even know. As far as we know, it's just working fine for them. Unless the player expects to carry over knowledge, levels or equipment the character gained in one campaign to the other campaign (and this does not seem to be the case), I don't see any problem. If you use a published setting with pre-made NSC, every single one of those has carbon copies at other tables, and those carbon copies will deviate greatly during the campaigns in which they are used (e.g., in some "alternate universes" they may be killed when they should live, saved when they should die, corrupted by evil or otherwise influenced by plot elements or actions of player characters in a myriad ways).
    Last edited by Berenger; 2016-03-13 at 09:53 AM.

14. - Top - End - #14

d20 Re: Playing the same character in two campaigns at once

Quote Originally Posted by PersonMan View Post
    If you're playing the exact same character, I can imagine your memories of two once-a-week games getting mixed up over time. Probably not a big issue, but it could lead to some minor mistakes.
    Honestly that kind of sounds like an interesting plot idea to me; a character existing in two different universes at once and overtime things start to blur for him… a sign that the universes are slowly merging.

…not that that would occur in this particular situation, but still.
    3e5e : Quintessa's Dweomerdrain (Drain power from a magic item to fuel your spells)
    3e │ 5e : Quintessa's Dweomershield (Protect target from the full effects of a magic item)
    3e │ 5e : Hordling Generator (Edit "cr=" in the address bar to adjust the Challenge Rating)
    3e │ 5e : Battle Sorcerer Tables (For Unearthed Arcana)

15. - Top - End - #15

MonkGuy

Alright, it seems like the consensus is that I'm making a fool of myself on the internet. I can't help but notice that no one who's telling me to "grow up" actually seems to have been in my situation, but I digress.

My decision is that I will just tell the other DM, or get the player to do it. I figure as long as everyone's well informed it can't be too bad.

One last thing: my player's reasoning for this is basically that he wants the other game to be easier for him; I'm not sure what I should say to this. I try to support a variety of play styles (even including the people who just play because of peer pressure), but this is a little different than that. Should I talk about it at all, besides just telling him that I think there are better ways to grow as a player?

16. - Top - End - #16
    Banned

Kobold

Alright, it seems like the consensus is that I'm making a fool of myself on the internet. I can't help but notice that no one who's telling me to "grow up" actually seems to have been in my situation, but I digress.

My decision is that I will just tell the other DM, or get the player to do it. I figure as long as everyone's well informed it can't be too bad.

One last thing: my player's reasoning for this is basically that he wants the other game to be easier for him; I'm not sure what I should say to this. I try to support a variety of play styles (even including the people who just play because of peer pressure), but this is a little different than that. Should I talk about it at all, besides just telling him that I think there are better ways to grow as a player?
    I have been in this situation, though in a slightly different context. Hell, I have been this player.

Unless he is telling you that the character in your campaign and the character in the other are LITERALLY THE EXACT SAME PERSON, and not merely identical copies going on different adventures, then there is nothing to worry about.

There is literally no reason to tell the other DM. And if you bring it up like you're genuinely concerned, the other DM may think you're a huge weirdo. Just bring it up casually in passing, or not at all.

As far as the player is concerned, he's doing nothing wrong. Lay off. Leave the dude alone. Maybe he wants to put the same basic character through two different adventures to see how each copy turns out different. That's fine.
    Maybe he just doesn't want to go through the crappy process of making a D&D character twice. Also fine (and I can relate.)
    Maybe not your dang problem, quit getting anxious about it.

Let me present to you a situation:
    You decide to run an Adventure module. Let's call it Attack on Treasure Castle. You start playing with your usual group.

After a few sessions, Another group is interested in running the same module. You have time, and agree.

Your players from the first sessions wig out because HOLY CRAP YOU'RE ALSO PLAYING THE SAME MODULE WITH OTHER PLAYERS! ISN'T THERE A BETTER WAY TO GROW AS A DM?

If THIS presented situation sounds like people overreacting to nothing....
    Last edited by ImNotTrevor; 2016-03-13 at 11:47 AM.

17. - Top - End - #17

MonkGuy

Quote Originally Posted by ImNotTrevor View Post
    Just bring it up casually in passing, or not at all.
    That's the plan. I obviously don't want to ruin anyone's fun, especially not the other DM's since that would affect all of his other players, too.

Quote Originally Posted by ImNotTrevor View Post
    Quit getting anxious about it.
    You can't tell me what to do!!

18. - Top - End - #18
    Banned

Kobold

That's the plan. I obviously don't want to ruin anyone's fun, especially not the other DM's since that would affect all of his other players, too.

You can't tell me what to do!!
    I would go with "Dude probably knows and doesn't care" as my base assumption rather than "Doesn't know." That's just me, though.

19. - Top - End - #19
    Ogre in the Playground

I can't help but notice that no one who's telling me to "grow up" actually seems to have been in my situation, but I digress.
    Have been in that situation. Was never a problem.

Usually i see more cases of "I have the perfect character for this campaign, but he/she is still in the other one. Can i simply assume that the other one is backstory, even if i don't know the conclusion yet ?" Other occasions where is happens are oneshots which can be afterwards placed as interludes whenever it fits.

As long as there is no mechanical impact and the character is suitable for both ... what could go wrong ?

20. - Top - End - #20
    Ogre in the Playground

Flumph

Since there is no connection (two different character sheets), I would say that there in no continuity conflict, and thus no problems.

I ran a game for my cousin`s kids when they were planning to bring their characters since they usually run one shots with the same character, instead of a story progression (which I am used to). We ended up with different characters since I ended up running a 1st level game for ease of being a new DM (my first game).

If they had their characters currently in a story campaign, and they could have run in the game I was playing, I would have insisted on rolling up new characters regardless, since the other character was off doing something else, so they could not be present for the session I was running.

21. - Top - End - #21
    Firbolg in the Playground

I played with one guy who only ever played one character. He was up to version 47 last time I played with him, IIRC.

If a player starts encountering lots of traps in one adventure, and becomes paranoid in the other, then you have bleed over. Yes, it can happen.

I've played copies of several of my characters, including my signature character. They each grew independently. Really, me growing as a person, having a bad day, or just being absent minded are all probably responsible for more questionable role-playing of any of those characters than their poly existence. Although it is me role-playing the differences between the copies that raises the most eyebrows.

Heck, I've played in games that were so messed up, that we met at 10th level, adventured together as old friends at 5th level, then retired at 7th level.

Unless you know something you're not telling us, I'd say that the level of stress you're emoting about this (and everyone's reactions of "not a problem, dude") indicate that, if anything, you should take this as an opportunity to evaluate your own connection to this issue. You may learn something valuable about yourself.

22. - Top - End - #22
    Barbarian in the Playground

When I first started I essentially RPed myself for my first game, in my second game this fell flat as no one else could talk without being stupid. I have yet to play the gruff idiot type.... Anyway I wouldn't worry about it too much, people need time to get used to RP.

The best way to move forward is to show him varied characters, this'll likely inspire him to try something else when he gets to play again.

23. - Top - End - #23

MonkGuy

Thanks for all the advice, guys. The player and I are both cool with it (he hasn't yet told the other DM, though we don't think it'll be an issue).

There are some interesting opportunities here. I might mess with his backstory a bit more than I usually would, to try and blow his mind a bit. Maybe people he thought were evil are actually good, maybe the other way around, I'm not sure yet. If he dies to a random encounter it'll all be moot anyway.

I'm going to try to put the other game out of my mind. It's great that he wants to play in another campaign so soon after first experiencing tRPGs; I should focus on that.

24. - Top - End - #24
    Ettin in the Playground

RangerGuy

There are some interesting opportunities here. I might mess with his backstory a bit more than I usually would, to try and blow his mind a bit. Maybe people he thought were evil are actually good, maybe the other way around, I'm not sure yet.
    Please don't do this without the player's permission. If you want to surprise the player, ask if he wants surprises in the first place, followed by the parameters of the surprises. "Don't make his mentor evil, but his family can be evil", etc.

There're pleasant surprises, and there're outright shocking 'surprises' that are the exact opposite of pleasant. It's the difference between revealing the adviser was evil, and revealing the entire fantasy medieval setting is actually sci-fi.
    Last edited by goto124; 2016-03-13 at 07:11 PM.

25. - Top - End - #25
    Titan in the Playground

Sounds like the kind of person that likes to have two or more playthroughs with the same character/build in a videogame, just to see whats different the next time.
    He's probably just trying to get the most of the story and character he put the effort into making, not trying to game the system or play the DM to his benefit.
    Roll for it
    5e Houserules and Homebrew
    Old Extended Signature
    Awesome avatar by Ceika

26. - Top - End - #26
    Titan in the Playground

You're worrying about something that's ultimately none of your business. As long as he keeps a clean separation between the two instances of the character, it doesn't effect your game at all. Stop being controlling and mind ya business. Seriously.
    I am not seaweed. That's a B.

Praise I've received
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by ThiagoMartell View Post
    Kelb, recently it looks like you're the Avatar of Reason in these forums, man.
    Quote Originally Posted by LTwerewolf View Post
    [...] bringing Kelb in on your side in a rules fight is like bringing Mike Tyson in on your side to fight a toddler. You can, but it's such massive overkill.
    A quick outline on building a homebrew campaign

27. - Top - End - #27

PirateWench

After a great deal of thought, I feel very uncomfortable with this situation. I know some people who like to play the same characters over and over gain, but never simultaneously under two different DMs (with totally different styles, as far as I can tell). Has anyone here ever run into a situation like this? What should I do? I really don't want to ruin anyone's fun and I don't want to be a dictator.
    It would make me uncomfortable as well. I don't think I've ever tried to play the same character in two different campaigns, let alone at the same time.

So you are not alone. I'm not sure how I would act if that situation ever came up, but neither are you. It is probably one of those things that depends on the people involved.

Quote Originally Posted by Kelb_Panthera View Post
    You're worrying about something that's ultimately none of your business. As long as he keeps a clean separation between the two instances of the character, it doesn't effect your game at all. Stop being controlling and mind ya business. Seriously.
    Things that goes on at a roleplaying table is everyone's business (of those present). Seriously.

Even if he does manage to keep a clean separation, which I find unlikely, knowing that he is doing so would ruin my immersion. It doesn't make sense, just as if Harry Potter would show up in Game of Thrones. The two worlds are supposed to be apart, with nothing to do with each other, yet the player forces them together with this choice. Even if logically it shouldn't make a difference, emotionally it does, and emotions matter. Seriously.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jay R View Post
    Blue text for sarcasm is an important writing tool. Everybody should use it when they are saying something clearly false.

28. - Top - End - #28
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Lorsa View Post
    Things that goes on at a roleplaying table is everyone's business (of those present). Seriously.
    It's not at your table, it's at somebody else's. If he hadn't mentioned it, you'd never have known and it will have exactly the same impact on -your- table, either way. What he does with his characters in other games, even if they're carbon copies of the characters he uses in your game, is none of your business.

Even if he does manage to keep a clean separation, which I find unlikely, knowing that he is doing so would ruin my immersion. It doesn't make sense, just as if Harry Potter would show up in Game of Thrones. The two worlds are supposed to be apart, with nothing to do with each other, yet the player forces them together with this choice. Even if logically it shouldn't make a difference, emotionally it does, and emotions matter. Seriously.
    Dear god, your precious feels. How could I possibly have overlooked them. Clearly they're much more important than his and he should feel horrible for doing something that has nothing to do with you without checking for your permission first.

Tell me, do multiple different incarnations of a given character completely turn you off of comics and manga? What about reboots of old movies and TV shows? How about the overlap of some of the gods in the FR and Greyhawk pantheons? My point here is that multiple incarnations of the same character in different stories is something that happens.... a lot.

Hyperbole and rhetoric aside, just because you don't like it and wouldn't do it yourself doesn't make it any of your business. He's entitled to do whatever the hell he likes at someone else's table (within the limits imposed by that group, of course) and it would be -supremely- unfair to force him to retire a character he's enjoying and that has already been approved and put in play just because you find something he's doing somewhere else to be distasteful. Targetting his character for rapid, intentional destruction would be an even worse, passive-aggressive, d-bag move.

Such a controlling attitude is extremely troublesome for something as social as TT gaming. Put it out of your mind and move on.
    I am not seaweed. That's a B.

Praise I've received
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by ThiagoMartell View Post
    Kelb, recently it looks like you're the Avatar of Reason in these forums, man.
    Quote Originally Posted by LTwerewolf View Post
    [...] bringing Kelb in on your side in a rules fight is like bringing Mike Tyson in on your side to fight a toddler. You can, but it's such massive overkill.
    A quick outline on building a homebrew campaign

29. - Top - End - #29
    Titan in the Playground

But it's not something that happens at your table. It's two separate tables, and what happens at another table shouldn't affect you. And if it does, it's your problem. It's not just that the player doesn't have an obligation to play this character only in a single campaign, but he has the right to play whatever he wants in whatever game he wants, within the constraints of the rules set by the DM. And "always new and original characters" is not a fair rule to set.

It doesn't make sense, just as if Harry Potter would show up in Game of Thrones. The two worlds are supposed to be apart, with nothing to do with each other, yet the player forces them together with this choice. Even if logically it shouldn't make a difference, emotionally it does, and emotions matter. Seriously.
    No, it's not the same as HP being in GoT. It's more as if Maisie Williams appearing in both Game of Thrones and Doctor Who.

Or more accurately, it's as if Ryan Reynolds plays Wade Wilson in both Wolverine: Origins and Deadpool. Same actor, same character, different worlds, different events led to different development.

It bothering you gives you no right to impose your will upon another person.

Swordsage'd
    Last edited by Sliver; 2016-03-14 at 03:31 AM.
    A wise monk trains both mind and body, but a smart monk is actually a swordsage.

30. - Top - End - #30
    Ettin in the Playground

MindFlayer

I think there is a little overreaction here.

OP saw something odd and asked if it was a worry and what they should do. The answer is a resounding "Don't Worry about it" but it doesn't mean it is wrong to ask. The guy in question is a new player, trying to get to grips with the rules and the DM is worried. Asking others in this position if it is an issue seems to be Exactly The Right Thing to Do.

Being concerned about is a new DM isn't a bad thing - it is thinking ahead, trying to spot problems and taking responsibility for the game. It isn't like the DM had unilaterally forbade the guy playing two characters, it was the most restrained response possible - seek advice on whether to raise it as an issue and if so talk to others about it.

It isn't like this is a fascist DM situation.