Support the GITP forums on Patreon
Help support GITP's forums (and ongoing server maintenance) via Patreon
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Results 1 to 30 of 96

Thread: The Crax IC

  1. - Top - End - #1
    Titan in the Playground
     
    Jack_Simth's Avatar

    Join Date
    May 2006

    Default The Crax IC

    Nobody is quite sure who settled on the name "The Crax" for the invaders, but that is what they came to be called. They seem immune to direct divinations - not even the gods are able to answer direct questions about them - and very little is known about them as a result. What little is known about them is not very happy: They're hungry, they're smart, they breed quickly, and they're spreading. They don't seem very particular about their diet; so far, it's known that the Crax have devoured villages, forests, prairies, golems, and several undead... including a lich, which has several other ancient undead panicked simply because it's been three weeks since that particular lich was eaten, and it still hasn't reformed... and a few of the ancient undead knew where that particular lich was keeping it's phylactery (they're not getting specific, but it's well out of Crax territory). One thing is clear: If The Crax is not stopped, it'll be the end of Golarion.

    With real information on The Crax being very hard to come by, a notice catches your eye. A simple piece of parchment with a few words written on it which, thinking back, you saw at a few other places in the city. The parchment reads as follows:

    I have seen The Crax in action. Those wishing to fight the Crax should meet me at the newest arena in the Jawbone district of Ilizmagorti on Sarenith 27th; I've rented the place out for the purpose.

    Checking briefly, you note that it's currently Sarenith 26th.
    Of course, by the time I finish this post, it will already be obsolete. C'est la vie.

  2. - Top - End - #2
    Firbolg in the Playground
     
    Maugan Ra's Avatar

    Join Date
    May 2012
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: The Crax IC

    Citadel Drezen
    North-Eastern Sarkoris
    (Reclaimed Worldwound)


    The meeting hall was a somber, serious place at the best of times. One used for prosecuting the war against the demons, now it largely saw action coordinating the immense rebuilding efforts. But on this day, talk had turned to the newest foe to blight the material plane - the mysterious Crax.

    "So, in summary... we still know almost nothing." Matthias Hulrun, Hero of the Fifth Crusade and Knight-Commander of Drezen, says in a low voice. In his hands he holds a scrap of parchment, where a hand-written message has been scrawled. "And this message remains our one solid lead."

    "I wouldn't call it that." Anevia Tirablade, Drezen's spymaster and veteran infiltrator, says in a dry voice from her seat at the table. "A few words and an invitation? Ilizmagorti isn't on the other side of Avistan. About the only things the town is known for are pirates and the Red Mantis assassins."

    Matthias sighs. "True. And yet... I think I must go." The others gathered simply nodded, variously accepting and resigned. They all knew of their commander's personality and obligations, and if he thought that the Inheritor would best be served by going, then he would go. There was little else to it. "I trust you can all continue the rebuilding and mustering without me, for however long this takes?"

    "Of course we can." Horgus Gwerm, the Treasurer and one of the most influential nobles in the country, said with a grunt. "Go be a hero. We'll take care of the important stuff while you're gone."

    Matthias just smiled slightly.

    -/-

    An hour later, his wife came to find him in the temple. Knowing better than to disturb him, she waited while he finished his prayers, studying his armour frame with fond nostalgia. When he fell silent, she smiled and approached. He heard her, of course, turning to face her with a smile.

    "How long has it been?" Arushalae said in a quiet tone, drawing her husband into an embrace. "Since you had to put on that armour and save the world."

    "Close to five years now." Matthias replied softly, holding her close. "All things considered, I think my Lady has been gracious with my holiday allowance. But it seems the world needs me once more. Stay safe while I'm gone, OK?"

    Arushalae laughed slightly, pushing him away as she stepped back. "I should be the one telling you that." She glanced down at the weapon belted at his waist. "Keep him safe for me, Radiance?"

    "Naturally, ma'am." The sword replied in an arch tone. "Though doubtless he will not make it easy."

    "All right, enough out of you both." Matthias says lightly. "Time to go and see what this is about. My Lady, if you would?"

    There is a momentary pause... and then he is elsewhere.

    Clad in shining plate armour, a legendarily powerful blade at his side, the Hero of the Fifth Crusade appears at the gates of Ilizmagorti in a flash of divine light. He looks around, frowning slightly at the taint of evil he can feel hanging over the town, then begins making his way towards the Jawbone district.

    Spoiler
    Show
    Using Miracle to duplicate a Greater Teleport and get me there.

    Though I will also have used Commune beforehand to confirm it's probably not a trap and that Iomedae thinks I should go. Which is only likely to be a concern if this isn't actually a genuine lead.
    Last edited by Maugan Ra; 2016-03-15 at 05:18 AM.
    "Not trusting me might be the smartest decision you made since getting off of your horse."

    Avatar by Ifni, who is rightly awesome.

  3. - Top - End - #3
    Ettin in the Playground
     
    Planetar

    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    England

    Default Re: The Crax IC

    Desssria was at home when she first encountered the note. One of the librarians she'd mentored (there were an awful lot of them over the years...) had spotted the brief note, and brought it along to show her colleague. Desssria had that towering reputation as an adventurer, after all, surely this was the sort of thing she'd be interested in?

    The librarian was right of course.

    Desssria knew nothing about this threat, beyond the fact it existed. And that... was an unfamiliar situation to her. Sure, there were people she hadn't known, but it was centuries since she'd last come across a truly unknown thing...

    Surely, it was time for some investigation.





    Calling her Raven and her Psicrystal to her, she ran briefly through her mental list of taverns. She knew a place in the Jawbone district, of course. She knew a tavern everywhere.


    What came next was a gate spell, aimed just outside. Most tavern-keepers, in her experience, preferred her not to punch dimensional portals through into their taprooms. It had a habit of startling the drunken people. And that was the last thing she wanted... After all, the whole purpose of aiming for a tavern near her destination was to get the locals talking about whatever she'd be walking into in the morning...


    Spoiler
    Show

    Desssria's Diplomacy checks are made at +69 while taking 10, so if there's any public information about what's coming up, she'll find it with (1d4)[3] hours of asking around.

  4. - Top - End - #4
    Titan in the Playground
     
    Necroticplague's Avatar

    Join Date
    Aug 2010

    Default Re: The Crax IC

    Firbu takes a look at the poster, a slight smirk on her face. She'd heard quiet a bit about these things. Heck, some of the things might even be true. Practically seems too much like her MO. Ride in, fight the unfightable, ride out. Well, except that she had long since lost any mount capable of keeping up with her unrelenting pace. The idea still stands, even if a noble steed had to be replaced by mastery of moevement that allowed her to outpace one. Hmmm...Firbu takes a moment to contemplate where she thinks she had seen this before. A quick drip that starts in the Material and ends in it while moving in the Astral puts her at where she thought. Huh. One poster can be a paranoid nut, two must be onto something. At the very least, it was worth checking out. Thus, she heads out towards Ilizmagorti , her own focus on her movement letting her rapidly cross grounds by taking shortcuts through the Astral when needed.

    Spoiler: Rolls
    Show
    Survival if needed to avoid getting lost: (1d20+52)[72]
    Avatar by TinyMushroom.

  5. - Top - End - #5
    Titan in the Playground
     
    Jack_Simth's Avatar

    Join Date
    May 2006

    Default Re: The Crax IC

    Nobody has any trouble finding the place. Seems the arena was built on a major roadway, and everyone knows where to find it.

    Quote Originally Posted by Maugan Ra View Post
    1) Does the individual who left this note intend me harm?

    2) Is this note an attempt to lure me away from Drezen so as to lower its defenses?

    3) Am I likely to find allies if I attend the proposed meeting?

    4) If I go to the meeting, will there be combat?

    5) Does it serve the interests of the Church of Iomedae if I attend this meeting?

    6) The note claims that the author has seen the Crax in action. Are they telling the truth?
    Spoiler: Maugan Ra / Matthias: Commune Responses
    Show

    You get a obviously useful response only to the third question, and that one is a "yes". The rest come back with simple silence, not even the normal "unclear" that you'd get for for future events that are sufficiently hotly contested amongst the gods that the outcome is in doubt even to them.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Roll Spellcraft, if you would.

    Spoiler: Desssria / whoiam Gather Info
    Show
    You spend a few hours, buy a few drinks, and while no one person seems to have the entire picture, a number of rumors seem to converge:
    Everyone knows that particular arena is reserved for a private function; it's posted clearly enough in multiple places. That's really all most people know. You do, however, find a few people with other tidbits of information. One of the Red Mantis 'tax collectors' mentions "The arena master wasn't around when it came time for me to collect his protection money... place was empty. If he's not dead he'd better be ready to pay with interest when we find 'im... haven't been able to track him down, though, nobody's seen him in a week. His staff 'neither." When you ask about it, a farmer relaxing for the day pulls out a journal, and says "Can't say as I know much about it... but the signs started cropping up every here and there on ... Sarenith 20th."

    Mostly, though, nobody seems to know anything you haven't already gathered.
    Of course, by the time I finish this post, it will already be obsolete. C'est la vie.

  6. - Top - End - #6
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    Nightraiderx's Avatar

    Join Date
    Nov 2011

    Default Re: The Crax IC

    "hmm..." Dazeneth looks over the paper. He was training in the monastery when a few of his fellow disciples brought in the paper to show him. "What do you think, Sensei Aggoron?" He handed the papers to Sensei who looked over the papers. The old dragon with a long body and beard that jutted out looks over the papers.
    "Ah Dazeneth it is what I feared. The horde is growing stronger, we have been fortunate to hold back the horde of evil creatures for now but we must find out what drives them. Dazeneth, I will be sending you to check out the lead, but be careful. We do not know if this is a trap, scout out and find out as much as you can, and update us." The other students get loud starting to feel left out but Aggoron raises a hand to silence them. "Dazeneth has honed his body in such a way that you have not, his research into the abyss will aid him greatly in understanding the monstrosities. Do any of you have a problem with that?" The group quiets down. "Now, Dazeneth that is an order do you understand?" Dazeneth gives a long bow, "I understand."

    [Implied travel to location specified in the flyer.]

  7. - Top - End - #7
    Ettin in the Playground
     
    Triskavanski's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jan 2011

    Default Re: The Crax IC

    Izzy yawned softly as she began making her way through the streets. That last run of rum netted her a huge profit, a profit she had yet to properly spend. Sleepily she looked around the stores and shops for small trinkets and the like, looking for where she could find the best sales men and crafters in order to commission more.

    Outside of town was Izzy's Airship, named Probably Nothing. She couldn't think of a better name, papers were strewn all about in the cabin as she tried to come up with names. But she was terrible with them, completely utterly so. "Huh? Crax?" she wondered staring a bit too closely to the paper. Clenching her eyes she stumbles back a little, an errant breeze blowing her long, multihued scarf. Yet, nothing else stirred, and nary could the moving air be felt. And yet her scarf blew around, rapidly so, as if some great winds were only blowing for the scarf and nothing else.

    Adjusting her site again, she rubbed the back of her head. "Whatever, she remarked begining to walk towards the arena now, yawning once more. "Tink, we're gonna go kick something's ass.. I think." Lazidly she continued walking. It would be a terrible thing if all this booze would go to waste. As she walked, she pulled up a tankard, holding it into her right hand from a bag. Moving to a local pump she filled it, with far too much water for rough brass tankard. A task of making sure one was properly hydrated completed, she continued walking drinking heartily from the cup.
    Animated Spellcards from the Deck of Many Things
    A game I found interesting Aegis: Innocence

  8. - Top - End - #8
    Firbolg in the Playground
     
    Maugan Ra's Avatar

    Join Date
    May 2012
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: The Crax IC

    Matthias draws plenty of attention as he makes his way through Ilizmagorti. This is no surprise, considering his appearance and his fame, and nor is it unintentional. The paladin has never been much in favour of hiding outside the bounds of tactical necessity.

    He ignores the hidden glances and quiet whispers he draws, instead mulling over the unusual responses he drew from his divinations earlier in the day - and what they might mean...

    Spoiler
    Show
    Rolling Spellcraft as requested.

    (1d20+40)[51]
    "Not trusting me might be the smartest decision you made since getting off of your horse."

    Avatar by Ifni, who is rightly awesome.

  9. - Top - End - #9
    Titan in the Playground
     
    Jack_Simth's Avatar

    Join Date
    May 2006

    Default Re: The Crax IC

    Spoiler: Matthias / Maugan Ra
    Show
    As hard as it is to believe, it seems something is interfering on the divine channel when you ask about the topic. It's unclear if the question never reached Iomedae, or if the answer never got back, but something is clearly messing up the communications channel. You've no idea how that might be done, but clearly, that's what's happened.
    Of course, by the time I finish this post, it will already be obsolete. C'est la vie.

  10. - Top - End - #10
    Orc in the Playground
     
    Devil

    Join Date
    Nov 2009

    Default Re: The Crax IC

    Dempsey approaches the arena. His forehead glistens with sweat from his travels. Not wanting to stay still too long, he executes some jabs, and begins eyeing the crowd that has formed.

  11. - Top - End - #11
    Titan in the Playground
     
    Jack_Simth's Avatar

    Join Date
    May 2006

    Default Re: The Crax IC

    You all make it to the arena without much hassle. It's small as far as arenas go - the arena proper is only a fifty foot diameter circle with what is (on the surface, at least) a sand floor. The majority of the structure is wooden (the most notable exception being a glass ceiling), and there's only about ten rows of bleachers going back another 25 feet from the ten foot tall inner arena wall... although they are progressively raised, so that those in front are unlikely to block the view of those behind. There's one announcer's box, raised five feet above the top of the inner arena wall and at the north edge of the arena. The announcer's box is empty when you first spy it.

    You are all ushered in, along with quite a few other interested parties in various states of dress: six people dressed up like they're playing at nobility in this no-man's land, draped in velvet, silk, and gold; six standard "trophy spouses" that go with such excesses; ten high-ranking military types with their weapons and armor - presumably captains and generals of various natures, allied or not; and a few hundred of what appears on the surface to be interested peasantry as well.

    There are ten ushers, who size everyone up as they come in. The "nobility" are lead to the announcer's box, the interested peasantry get crammed into the bleachers, and the high ranking military sort (as well as yourselves) are politely escorted to the arena floor and given a space next to the wall.

    An usher briefly speaks to each of you in turn as you are directed to your seats:
    "Once everyone has reached their places, the speaker will come out and say his peace. After that, you will have the opportunity to ask questions."

    The place is packed in fairly short order, and the ushers return to their places at the entrances to watch for newcomers. After the place is full, however, they do start politely turning people away.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Anyone wanting to make knowledge checks on the various people you can see, perception checks to hear what the ushers are saying to others, spells to cast, NOT go to your assigned place, request more detail on specific items, or take any other actions? Please make sure to specify what you're examining with perception checks, knowledge skills, spells, etcetera. I plan to continue in about a day real-time whether or not anyone posts, and may reply to specific action posts earlier.
    Last edited by Jack_Simth; 2016-03-17 at 05:25 PM.
    Of course, by the time I finish this post, it will already be obsolete. C'est la vie.

  12. - Top - End - #12
    Ettin in the Playground
     
    Planetar

    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    England

    Default Re: The Crax IC

    Spoiler
    Show

    Knowledge checks on the other guests - taking 10 gives 89 for Local or Nobility.


    Hmm... quite the crowd they'd drawn, here. Some familiar faces within it, even. Izzy, Matthias and Firbu she would have even called friends... And young Dazenth! My, he'd come a long way since the youth asking her questions about psionic theory and the other planes. Hmm... she'd have to see if he still remembered her. A quick dip into her pocket produced quill and paper - a quick note was produced, and handed to the Raven sitting upon her shoulder.

    "Take this to Dazenth," she thought, and the Raven complied, launching itself into the air above the crowd, slip of paper clutched in her beak.

    Spoiler: Desssria's note
    Show

    Crowd's too tall, no-one can see me past all these giants. Silaquee will show you where I'm standing. Come over and say hi!

    --Desssria


    But while that was going on, she had closer friends to contact. No familiar to carry notes this time, so she went instead for a little light telepathy.

    Spoiler: Izzy, Matthias and Firbu
    Show

    Each of the three can feel a familiar touch on their minds, as Desssria's sends the mental equivalent of a knock on the front door to each of them. It's up to them whether or not they accept - Desssria cannot force people into her collective, after all.

  13. - Top - End - #13
    Titan in the Playground
     
    Necroticplague's Avatar

    Join Date
    Aug 2010

    Default Re: The Crax IC

    As Firbu glances around at the little spectacle, she feels an odd sensation, like the one her hat sometimes give her when she concentrates. She focuses on this sensation until she can feel a metaphorical door opening. Man, no matter how long she had these weird brain-powers, she always had a hard time explaining this type of stuff. Thus, her oddly weak mental voice as she joins the collective.
    Spoiler: Collective Speech
    Show
    "Er...to WHOM mAY i bE speakING to? SorRY if i doN'T souND thE BEst liKE THIS. DoN't use mie mined two speAK OFTen"
    Avatar by TinyMushroom.

  14. - Top - End - #14
    Orc in the Playground
     
    Devil

    Join Date
    Nov 2009

    Default Re: The Crax IC

    Dempsey looks around to see if he notices any familiar faces.

    Spoiler: Perception
    Show
    Taking 10 on perception, so 68
    Last edited by Matamane; 2016-03-18 at 01:28 AM.

  15. - Top - End - #15
    Ettin in the Playground
     
    Planetar

    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    England

    Default Re: The Crax IC

    Out in the real world, Desssria's sporting a mysterious little smile.

    In the collective, she's openly laughing.

    Silaquee (collective): "That was a touch loud, wasn't it?"

    It takes Desssria's mind a few moments to regain its composure.

    Desssria (collective): "I'll let you off not noticing me over this crowd, dear. Not your fault I'm so short... and it'd probably be rude for me to sit on the wall.

    In future, remember: I'm doing the work of actually moving thoughts between minds. So you don't have to try forcing it... just think kinda ...openly.

    Anyway... have you remembered me, yet? I can always give you a hint...
    "

    A...familiar... voice raises itself in the form of a kasatha folk tune, above the sound of the expectant crowd. It gets an entire couple of seconds to itself before a Raven begins caw-ing along, a long way out of key.

    Spoiler
    Show

    Desssria's perform (sing) check: +69 (taking 10)
    Silaquee's perform (sing) check: +54 (taking 10) (but deliberately trying to screw up Desssria's performance).


    Faced with this competition, Desssria quiets down again. Mostly in the hopes of getting Silaquee to shut up before someone complained about her.

    Desssria (collective): "....Honestly. With all the time I've spent feeding her, you'd think she would be more helpful."

    And then it's Silaquee's chance to laugh across the collective.
    Last edited by whoiam; 2016-03-18 at 02:27 PM.

  16. - Top - End - #16
    Firbolg in the Playground
     
    Maugan Ra's Avatar

    Join Date
    May 2012
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: The Crax IC

    Well, I see you two haven't changed. Matthias' thoughts come over the link, the paladin having accepted the invitation as soon as he recognized it. Still, it's good to see a familiar face again. Were you also summoned by way of mysterious notes posted to public places?
    "Not trusting me might be the smartest decision you made since getting off of your horse."

    Avatar by Ifni, who is rightly awesome.

  17. - Top - End - #17
    Titan in the Playground
     
    Necroticplague's Avatar

    Join Date
    Aug 2010

    Default Re: The Crax IC

    A slight look of confusion crosses the gunslinger's face as she looks around before seeing the catgirl. A, the bard from years back! Can't forget someone that helped set her straight like that. She again tries to communicate within the thought network, with marginally better results. Not thinking about her own thoughts ends up with them racing, probably a bad side-effect of a mind used to rapid reflexes.
    Spoiler: Collective Speech
    Show
    "ahyessorryit'sbeenyearssuprisedyourecognizedmeiwas tallerbackthen(minorspellspoilscanbuy,findithelpsm yaim)yeahisawtheflyersdon'tassumeyouknowanythingel seaboutthesef***ers"
    Avatar by TinyMushroom.

  18. - Top - End - #18
    Ettin in the Playground
     
    Planetar

    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    England

    Default Re: The Crax IC

    Silaquee (Collective): "Oh, you know Desssria. You could summon her to the ass-end of the abyss using nothing more than a library index card."

    Desssria ignores her bird that time, likely an attempt to not get ejected from the front of the crowd for arguing with a small bird. ....Heh. Normal people had such boring social problems.

    Desssria (Collective): "I tried a few times. Most divinations turned up nothing. A few, deceptive visions. One, a group of cute little cubs tearing each other apart. I stopped at that point. It's kind of worrying when your scrying attempts are teaching the target more than they're teaching you. I was trying to decide if it was worth trying to talk someone into mounting another expedition when someone brought me one of the flyers. Figured this was probably a touch safer..."

  19. - Top - End - #19
    Ettin in the Playground
     
    Triskavanski's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jan 2011

    Default Re: The Crax IC

    Despite her nature, there was the fact that Izzy herself was also a psionic spellcaster. Its something that really isn't brought up much, as she tended to battle enemies more with her bare fists. To get them something more of a sporting chance. She also tended to solve issues with more mundane methods, though be it, her methods bordered a bit more supernatural.


    "Uh.. oh hey. I think they look like butt cracks. Flying around in the air, but like.. not the grabble type. The type with boils and sores and more ass hair than a shaggy dog."

    She throws out into the collective, still in a very lazy, slow method of speech.
    Animated Spellcards from the Deck of Many Things
    A game I found interesting Aegis: Innocence

  20. - Top - End - #20
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    Nightraiderx's Avatar

    Join Date
    Nov 2011

    Default Re: The Crax IC

    Dazeneth reads the note and recogonizes the name, "ah so she's here to hm? alright lead me through the crowd." Dazeneth follows the bird back to Desssria. "hm, so what brings you to the arena?"

  21. - Top - End - #21
    Titan in the Playground
     
    Jack_Simth's Avatar

    Join Date
    May 2006

    Default Re: The Crax IC

    Spoiler: whoiam/Daressa
    Show

    You can clearly tell that 'playing at nobility' is mostly correct. One of the nobles technically is in fact nobility... however, his lands are among those that 'went dark' from The Crax, and he probably doesn't have any real resources to speak of anymore. One of the others is actually a representative of the local assassins' guild - or more accurately, a recorder; he's got a perfect memory and is quite skilled at mimicking what he saw with illusions later. Seems the assassins' guild thinks it's well within possibility that this is a trap, but also considers it too tempting to simply ignore... and so, they sent someone disposable who will be capable of making a very detailed report.

    There does not appear to be a representative from the Red Mantis here; the most likely case is that they're buying a report from the Assasins' guild. The generals are all from mercenary companies, other than one pirate.

    To all appearances, the crowd of interested peasantry is exactly that - locals who wandered in off the streets. A few merchants of some skill, but none where you couldn't simply buy out their entire stock with your pocket change.



    The room warms up with all the people inside, and after a short while, a man in leathers armor with a very nice telescope hanging on his hip walks onto the sands, and takes position in the middle of the room. He looks human, and has a jagged scar on his left cheek that starts at his blue eye and ends somewhere under his unkept brown beard. He is sweating slightly as he looks around, sighs, and quietly says "So... these are the only ones brave enough to risk it, eh? All right then. To business." before continuing in a voice meant to be heard by all "Greetings. Yes, I've seen The Crax, and they are many and varied. I was out ... hunting... and looking through my telescope for my favourite prey, when I spotted a mess of them devouring a tree. The only constant I could see is that they all seem to be coated in weird purple crystals; everything else? They looked like a mishmash of other creatures. A bear with an elven torso sticking out of it's back. A giant eel with a scorpion's legs, arms, and stinger. A giant eagle with an elephant's trunk. When the bear knocked down a tree and started eating it - quickly, too, it didn't take long to make work of it, and it grew, visibly, as it did - I noticed that behind them was little more than bare rock, coated with a dusting of purple crystals... and after a few minutes, it became clear that the crystals on even the rocks were growing... at the expense of the rocks." the man shudders "So... that's what seemed immediately relevant. Does anyone on the floor have questions so far?"
    Of course, by the time I finish this post, it will already be obsolete. C'est la vie.

  22. - Top - End - #22
    Ettin in the Playground
     
    Planetar

    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    England

    Default Re: The Crax IC

    Desssria doesn't reply to Dazenth's question, but winks at him as she extends a fourth Collective invitation.

    Desssria (Collective): "Is it wrong that I want to heckle him? I just have this urge to shout out 'Yeah, why did you call us into an arena just to recite a description?'. Even though I know that's not all that's coming tonight."


    Desssria: "Yes. Back to those descriptions a moment. The creatures. Did they look alive, or like reanimated flesh? Did they look continuous (despite the incongruity of their construction), or did they have the appearance of being assembled from their disparate pre-existing parts? And did the crystals appear to be a simple covering, or were they actually a part of the creatures?"
    Last edited by whoiam; 2016-03-18 at 05:53 PM.

  23. - Top - End - #23
    Titan in the Playground
     
    Necroticplague's Avatar

    Join Date
    Aug 2010

    Default Re: The Crax IC

    With something to focus on, the fourarmed gunslinger's stream of consciousness becomes more focused and punctual as she tries to think of possibilities.
    Spoiler: Collective
    Show
    Hmmm...Multiple Organisms. Apparently Seperable. Possible Symbiosis. Likely Parasitism. Crystal Spreads. Mobile Hosts, Animated To Help. Immobile, Used To Feed Crystal. Heard Of Fungus That Does Similar. Not As Grand A Scale. Dying Hosts Likely Unnaturally Sustained. Last Moments Are Either A Frenzy To Spread, Or Rapidly Being Consumed. Possibly Forms Collective Masses. Like Lichen. Fusions Possible Results Of Collective.

    However much her mind be racing, her sharp eyes merely stare impassively as her old habit of listening before acting remains. Neverhteless, something about this puts her on edge as she leans forward both to listen better and prepare for flight if need be.
    Spoiler: Mechanics
    Show
    Entering Stance of the Ether Gate and Unfettered Movement.
    Last edited by Necroticplague; 2016-03-18 at 06:22 PM.
    Avatar by TinyMushroom.

  24. - Top - End - #24
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    Nightraiderx's Avatar

    Join Date
    Nov 2011

    Default Re: The Crax IC

    Dazeneth gives a nod and joins the collective. "So are you here because of the lead to?"
    He asks Desssria.

  25. - Top - End - #25
    Firbolg in the Playground
     
    Maugan Ra's Avatar

    Join Date
    May 2012
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: The Crax IC

    Quote Originally Posted by Jack_Simth View Post
    Spoiler: whoiam/Daressa
    Show

    You can clearly tell that 'playing at nobility' is mostly correct. One of the nobles technically is in fact nobility... however, his lands are among those that 'went dark' from The Crax, and he probably doesn't have any real resources to speak of anymore. One of the others is actually a representative of the local assassins' guild - or more accurately, a recorder; he's got a perfect memory and is quite skilled at mimicking what he saw with illusions later. Seems the assassins' guild thinks it's well within possibility that this is a trap, but also considers it too tempting to simply ignore... and so, they sent someone disposable who will be capable of making a very detailed report.

    There does not appear to be a representative from the Red Mantis here; the most likely case is that they're buying a report from the Assasins' guild. The generals are all from mercenary companies, other than one pirate.

    To all appearances, the crowd of interested peasantry is exactly that - locals who wandered in off the streets. A few merchants of some skill, but none where you couldn't simply buy out their entire stock with your pocket change.



    The room warms up with all the people inside, and after a short while, a man in leathers armor with a very nice telescope hanging on his hip walks onto the sands, and takes position in the middle of the room. He looks human, and has a jagged scar on his left cheek that starts at his blue eye and ends somewhere under his unkept brown beard. He is sweating slightly as he looks around, sighs, and quietly says "So... these are the only ones brave enough to risk it, eh? All right then. To business." before continuing in a voice meant to be heard by all "Greetings. Yes, I've seen The Crax, and they are many and varied. I was out ... hunting... and looking through my telescope for my favourite prey, when I spotted a mess of them devouring a tree. The only constant I could see is that they all seem to be coated in weird purple crystals; everything else? They looked like a mishmash of other creatures. A bear with an elven torso sticking out of it's back. A giant eel with a scorpion's legs, arms, and stinger. A giant eagle with an elephant's trunk. When the bear knocked down a tree and started eating it - quickly, too, it didn't take long to make work of it, and it grew, visibly, as it did - I noticed that behind them was little more than bare rock, coated with a dusting of purple crystals... and after a few minutes, it became clear that the crystals on even the rocks were growing... at the expense of the rocks." the man shudders "So... that's what seemed immediately relevant. Does anyone on the floor have questions so far?"
    "Why call us here?" Matthias says in a calm voice. "You apparently had the resources to post invitations across settlements in multiple nations. Sending your observations out in written form would have accomplished much the same... and might have drawn response from those who were either unwilling or unable to journey across the length of a continent in a day to hear you out."

    Over the communal link, his tone is somewhat sharper.

    For the record, something about the Crax interferes with divine communication. I had thought that silence from the heavens on this matter implied a lack of knowledge, but I have reason to believe that my enquiries on the topic are simply not reaching the Inheritor. An... unusually specific defense, if so. We may wish to look to the Titans, or perhaps the Asura, for further answers.
    "Not trusting me might be the smartest decision you made since getting off of your horse."

    Avatar by Ifni, who is rightly awesome.

  26. - Top - End - #26
    Ettin in the Playground
     
    Triskavanski's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jan 2011

    Default Re: The Crax IC

    "So bears ate a rock, the rock ate the bears, the rocks ate other rocks. Aaaand?" Izzy calls out herself. "We just need some good no rock solution. If its anything like diamonds though you can't just wack it alot. It just becomes dust. And mummy dust can still make mummies."
    Animated Spellcards from the Deck of Many Things
    A game I found interesting Aegis: Innocence

  27. - Top - End - #27
    Titan in the Playground
     
    Jack_Simth's Avatar

    Join Date
    May 2006

    Default Re: The Crax IC

    The scarred man tries to answer the rapid fire questions from the party and the military men "They didn't have the pallor of death, but I was a bit far for details.. I didn't see stitches, but between distance, fur, and scales, I might not have. Seemed to be a part of them, but hard to say..." "Ah, no, exactly what I was hunting isn't germane here...." the main trails off when Matthias points out the absurdity of his method of gathering people, and a moment later, chuckles "Well, I suppose that's what I get for playing with my food: A bit of a mess. Not a big deal, I'll do it better next time. Learning and adapting is what I do... well, that and eating..." as he dismisses the polymorphic effect, and a Colossal lizard with claws, a long neck, and wings, coated in tiny purple crystals densely enough that it's hard to determine the underlying color, stands in your midst as the crowd starts to panic...
    Spoiler
    Show
    Initiative, A Fort save, and a Will save (vs. fear) for everyone (immunities currently apply to the fear will save), please.
    Giant Lizard: (1d20+2)[21]

    Kn(Arcana) to ID the lizard's underlying nature.

    Edit: Oh yes: And Damage types, spell descriptors, spell schools, and so on are EXTREMELY important with The Crax. Please make sure to list them all when taking actions that interact with them.
    Last edited by Jack_Simth; 2016-03-19 at 04:59 PM.
    Of course, by the time I finish this post, it will already be obsolete. C'est la vie.

  28. - Top - End - #28
    Firbolg in the Playground
     
    Maugan Ra's Avatar

    Join Date
    May 2012
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: The Crax IC

    Matthias... blinks.

    Well, that was unexpected. His mental voice sounds rather dry over the link, as he stares up at the gigantic monster looming over them. If any of you have an idea as to what precisely this is, the information would be appreciated. And... I think moving this elsewhere would be my first suggestion. I would hate for the town to become collateral damage. Unless any of you have an alternative, I believe I can take care of that.

    Spoiler: OoC
    Show
    Going to roll Knowledge (Arcana) here just in case I get anything. Desssria has a much better result than I could ever achieve - if the telepathic link allows me to just give her an Aid Another boost, I'll do that. If not...

    Knowledge (Arcana): (1d20+20)[39]

    Also, I forgot to factor Cunning Initiative in when I rolled OoC. My initiative should therefore be 20.
    "Not trusting me might be the smartest decision you made since getting off of your horse."

    Avatar by Ifni, who is rightly awesome.

  29. - Top - End - #29
    Ettin in the Playground
     
    Triskavanski's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jan 2011

    Default Re: The Crax IC

    Izzy rolls her eyes, moving to stand up. "That is a Crax." she announces "Seriously, all of you dumbasses are going to start panicing now that the enemy is right on front of you. You know if you live through this, you should offer drinks and refreshments. Kicking your ass is going to be a pain in mine. I wonder if punch you with my fist.. do you fart?"


    Spoiler: Rolls
    Show

    Init - (1d20+20)[29]
    Fort Save (1d20+46)[59]
    Will Save (As I don't think I've drunken any alcohol yet) (1d20+52)[64]

    First turn Action - Swift Generate Tiger Fork
    Use 5 points to give it a +5 bonus to Attack and Damage
    Spend another 11 points to Add in Calamity.
    This gives me The weapon which may eventually become to be known as the Paper Tiger.
    56/56/51/46/36 for its attacks
    2d8+36 Physical Damage
    +3d6 Force Damage
    Crits 17-20/x3 dmg

    Animated Spellcards from the Deck of Many Things
    A game I found interesting Aegis: Innocence

  30. - Top - End - #30
    Titan in the Playground
     
    Necroticplague's Avatar

    Join Date
    Aug 2010

    Default Re: The Crax IC

    Spoiler: Collective Speech
    Show
    Alternative: Kill it quickly.

    With her short opinion on the subject given, Firbu tries to minimize the possible collateral damage by taking this hulking monstrosity out with one blow, if possible. Instead of her typical hail of rounds, she takes a moment to put a well-placed shot into what she hopes is it's vitals to take it out as she herself seems to fade away into barely more than a ghost. As is always her way, though, instead of aiming directly for such a point, she shoots at the ground, where it then bounces off of, into a wall, and then into the beast crystalline hide.
    Spoiler: Actions!
    Show
    Non-action: Gunslinger's Initiative to draw a weapon when initiative is rolled.
    Swift: Change Stance from Unfettered Movement to Spiritual Weapon Stance
    Move: Change Stance from Stance of the Ether Gate to Spiritual Weapon Stance.
    Standard: Use Twisting Wind Shot (augmented by Richochet Shot Deed (version normally requiring a grit, reduced to zero by true grit), Called Shot to the heart, Deadly Aim (+16/-8),Deadeye (reduced to 0 grit by Signature Grit+Deadeye Vest)) with (effective) +5 Flaming Shocking Ghost Touch Pistol of the Infinite Sky against the lizard-crax. Defensive Shot prevents the AoO from attacking with a ranged weapon.
    Attack:(1d20+37)[57] (Note: Is against his touch AC, ignoring Deflection Bonuses to AC, ignoring all cover or concealment (Firearm Penetration, Gunner's Lenses, Ricochet Shot))
    As per Twisting Wind Shot, if this hits, the attack is an auto-crit. If it actually crits normally (meaning it falls within my crit range, since I auto-confirm crits), the target is additionally Dazed for a round, no save. The extra damage is being exchanged to use Death's Shot, resulting in a DC 46 FORT save or die. And since it would be a critical called shot to the heart, it would also cause exhaustion and 1d4 CON bleed (unless they succeed a FORT save with a DC equal to the attack roll, which reduces it to fatigue and 1 CON bleed). Blinding Critical and Staggering Critical would also activate, making it DC 40 FORT vs. permanently Blinded (successful saves reduces it to 1d4 rounds dazzled) and DC 40 FORT vs. (1d4+1)[2] rounds of stagger (success means only 1 round of stagge)
    Damage:(2d6+73)[82] (Bludgeoning and Piercing, base weapon damage)+(1d6)[4](Fire, Flaming enchantment (originating from Helm of Brilliance enchantment on hat))+(1d6)[1](Electricity, Shocking enchantment (originating from Helm of Electric Radiance enchantment on hat))+(2d6)[10] (Force, from Spiritual Weapon Stance)
    Spoiler: Stalker
    Show
    Virulence, Sun dips Low, Fivefold Hydra Sting, Sting of the Cobra, Dimensional Strike, Fading Leap, Dispersal Strike, Fade Through, Lunar Penumbra, Twisting Wind Shot, Phantom Wind Ray, Blinding Ray Shot

    Spoiler: Warlord
    Show
    Twisting Wind Shot, Phantom Wind Ray, Shrug it Off, Bloody Riposite, Sanguine Perfection, Stunning Solar Flare, Blinding Ray Shot, Feel the Wind, Unbreakable Panthera Guard, Phantom Sunstorm, Solar Storm
    Last edited by Necroticplague; 2016-03-20 at 09:04 AM.
    Avatar by TinyMushroom.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •