Support the GITP forums on Patreon
Help support GITP's forums (and ongoing server maintenance) via Patreon
Page 1 of 57 12345678910112651 ... LastLast

Thread: Girl Genius!

1. - Top - End - #1

Default Girl Genius!

I shall now shamelessly share my interest in a webcomic on this thread. If this is wrong, please forgive me. There just doesn't seem to be very many other comics being discussed on this board.

Now do you remember Phil and Kaja Foglio? Those guys who used to do those "What's New with Phil and Dixie" comics in Duelist magazine? Phil himself used to do some art for M:TG cards back in the day.

Well they've now put up their own webcomic, and it is a good one indeed! I like it, so by extension, you should too!

It's set in a "gaslamp fantasy" world, an alternate Victorian age where Sparks (mad scientists) run amok. It was originally intended to be a print-release comic that has switched format. You can expect a well-written plot and good characters from Kaja, the writer of the two. It starts out in black-and-white but gets a professional coloring treatment after issue 1. They also update regularly on Monday, Wednesday and Friday; the classic webcomic days.

Start from comic #1 here:
    http://www.girlgeniusonline.com/cgi-...?date=20050221

Main Website here:
    http://www.girlgeniusonline.com/index.php

2. - Top - End - #2

Default Re: Girl Genius!

Yes it is a verry good coomic makes me want to build klanks myself ;D

3. - Top - End - #3
    Dwarf in the Playground

Imp

Cool setting. Some of the characters are pretty good too. I'm not overly fond of that kind of storytelling though.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Ogre in the Playground

Whereas I love the Foglio style of storytelling. His cover for the first issue of the "Stanley and His Monster" miniseries (as well as the miniseries itself, wherein I first heard of the Heterodyne Boys, though it's not where they orginated) will always be a favourite of mine.

However, I still like this and the Buck Godot series more. There's so much to this world that can leap out and surprise you, even if you've read the Vol. 0 Issue from the series, back when it was being sold over the counter.

Okay, I'm also partial to it because I enjoy little more than reading Othar Tryggvassen's lines aloud, but it's really about much more than that, and Krosp, and Baron Wulfenbach, and Bangledesh DuPree.

Ah, Bang... Phil does such wonderfully frightening women. There are more dangerous ones than this one, but I'll never forget how the expression on her face can be so friendly as she's killing you. :o
    optimization n : a source of missed opportunity

5. - Top - End - #5
    Giant in the Playground Administrator

Yeah, Girl Genius is good stuff. Oddly, I think Phil's art is better during the early black-and-white pages, where he has to do everything with crosshatching and such. I don't think I've ever seen him draw objects that look so physically solid before.
    Rich Burlew

Utterly Dwarfed, the sixth compilation of The Order of the Stick is now in stock. Order at Ookoodook (paper copies) or Gumroad (digital PDFs), or pick it up from your local gaming store.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Bugbear in the Playground

Foglio is a God.
    EvilEeyore AntiSocialite

7. - Top - End - #7
    Pixie in the Playground

This is to wierd, a few days ago I discovered the Girl Genius comics, and started reading them, and now this thread. Wierd :D

Do have to say. I like them more in black-white than in color. But it still rokcs. But the new story in Sepia is I think the best combo yet.
    Best comic there is, even beats OotS

8. - Top - End - #8
    Ogre in the Playground

Hmm, I was debating whether to read the comic previously, but after seeing the Foglio name, I've decided it should be good. :-[
    President of the Society for Hobgoblin Equality in Level Adjustment(SHELA)

Glowing Kitty from Lilly
    Wren Worgatar by Mephibosheth
    The Living Bullet!
    Unusual Inner Animal Avatar from Quincunx.
    Whenever you mention Pun-pun*SQUELCH!*, Ao kills another Kobold.
    Everytime someone says "Pazuzu" twice, Ao erases them on the next "Pa". Then he undeletes them so he can wipeinfo them from the multiverse.
    Everytime you kill a catgirl, I get more company.

9. - Top - End - #9

Huh...I thought I was the only one who liked the black-and-white better. Still the coloring makes it easier on the eyes when you're reading it.

Anyway, my favorite scene is the one where we learn about Baron Wulfenbach's hobby when he's not busy oppressing Europe. It made me like the Baron even more than before. Yes, he's an evil tyrant, but he's much more benevolent than people give credit for and ruling the world gives him no pleasure. Sadly, for him, it's his day-job.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Halfling in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Deleran
    I'm not overly fond of that kind of storytelling though.
    I'm lost. What do you mean?

11. - Top - End - #11
    Dwarf in the Playground

Imp

Quote Originally Posted by BiggusGeekus

I'm lost. What do you mean?
    Well, I'm not sure if it was what ShatteredTower was talking about, but I was referring to the way that information is made intentionally scarce. IE: A bunch of things are alluded to, but you're left in the dark about what's going on for long periods of time.

12. - Top - End - #12

Quote Originally Posted by Deleran
    I was referring to the way that information is made intentionally scarce.
    Yeah.

On the one hand we find out the information at the same rate Agatha does and that's immersive. On the other hand ... she's finding it out really slowly.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Barbarian in the Playground

Griffon

Quote Originally Posted by BiggusGeekus

Yeah.

On the one hand we find out the information at the same rate Agatha does and that's immersive. On the other hand ... she's finding it out really slowly.
    I find that the best way to read this kind of material is to wait for a year or so then take it in all at once. Unfortunatly, it isn't presented that way. Still, it's kind of good to be able to do that when you discover some new comic.

14. - Top - End - #14

Quote Originally Posted by Elrohir
    This is to wierd, a few days ago I discovered the Girl Genius comics, and started reading them, and now this thread. Wierd :D
    And I too just discovered it the other week, funny thing, eh?

My favourites are the three Jagermonsters.
    "I had thought - I had been told - that a 'funny' thing is a thing of goodness. It isn't. Not ever is it funny to the person it happens to. Like that sheriff without his pants. The goodness is in the laughing. I grok it is a bravery... and a sharing... against pain and sorrow and defeat."

15. - Top - End - #15
    Pixie in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Premier

And I too just discovered it the other week, funny thing, eh?

My favourites are the three Jagermonsters.

Hell yes! Jagermonsters FTW!

I just discovered it pretty recently too, and read through all of them in 3 days (advanced class and normal)

Have you seen this yet? [link=http://home.hiwaay.net/~lkseitz/comics/girlgenius/jagertrans.shtml] Jagermonster Translator[/link]
    Can't stop the Signal.

16. - Top - End - #16
    Retired Mod in the Playground Retired Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by CommanderFalken
    Hell yes! Jagermonsters FTW!

I just discovered it pretty recently too, and read through all of them in 3 days (advanced class and normal)

Have you seen this yet? [link=http://home.hiwaay.net/~lkseitz/comics/girlgenius/jagertrans.shtml] Jagermonster Translator[/link]
    That takes half the fun away. I like to read aloud the Jagermonster's dialogue to hear it and underatand it. Its all part of the fun.
    Let the Yaggle Gakkle-ing begin.
    Beware! Beware!
    All children of the 'ground

17. - Top - End - #17
    Pixie in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by WampaX

That takes half the fun away. I like to read aloud the Jagermonster's dialogue to hear it and underatand it. Its all part of the fun.
    Well, the point was that it can work in the opposite direction too. Zo hyu can talk like de Jagers!
    Can't stop the Signal.

18. - Top - End - #18
    Pixie in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by CommanderFalken
    Heh, fun!

The Jägers are flippin sweet. :)
    --Christy&&&&

19. - Top - End - #19

DwarfBarbarianGuy

Resurrecting an old thread - I just went back (after following GG for several months) and reread the beginning of the "advanced class" comics - and if you (like me) had gone "where the heck did all that stuff come from" in response to some of the more recent plot developments, you'll see there's a LOT of fore-shadowing during those early pages. Things are making a lot more sense now.

20. - Top - End - #20

I started reading it... I think when it was linked from Miracle of Science. I think I later picked up Narbonic from Phil Foglio's links, but I might be mistaken.

Either way, all three are very good reads.

Currently DMing:
    In the Emperors' Hand

21. - Top - End - #21
    Pixie in the Playground

Somewhere between Charleston Illinois and Planescape

I'm an avid reader of Girl Genius and I have to agree...

De Jagers are flippin sweet

And Pies! The Pies of SCIENCE!!!

22. - Top - End - #22

I actually get up early to check the updates before I go to school. I love this webcomic, albeit I hate the way the people are drawn. *shrug* Personal taste I suppose.

23. - Top - End - #23

RedWizardGuy

Love it to, would actually love to create a RPG world with this setting, Klaus is definetly the best portrayal (or at least most interesting) of the LE alignment I have so far seen

24. - Top - End - #24
    Titan in the Playground

NinjaGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Parlik View Post
    Love it to, would actually love to create a RPG world with this setting, Klaus is definetly the best portrayal (or at least most interesting) of the LE alignment I have so far seen
    You may not know this, but Kaja Foglio is writing the "Girl Genius RPG and Sourcebook, Powered by GURPS". It supposedly will be a very detailed look at the whole world of Girl Genius and not just the little corner of the world we are seeing at the moment.

No timeframe for when it will be out (since the RPG is still being written), unfortunately.
    Last edited by Porthos; 2007-01-30 at 12:50 AM.

25. - Top - End - #25
    Orc in the Playground

The Inner Sanctum. Gender: I haven't checked yet.

Thumbs up Re: Girl Genius!

The steampunk genre is incredibly difficult to pull of well, and yet Phil manages to do it admirably. A fave webcomic of mine.
    Spoiler
    Show
    My Town Characters, pictured left to right:

State Namesake District Revenant (With Ms. E's Iris) Malleo Morbius Deckard and Dexter
    for State, Malleo, District
    for Morbius
    Quote Originally Posted by Nevrmore View Post
    Many people have asked themselves; What is the ultimate moment-killer?
    The real ultimate moment-killer is a giant horde of zombies.

26. - Top - End - #26

I've loved it ever since I discovered it a while back. Hugely original, funny and with great characters :)

27. - Top - End - #27
    Pixie in the Playground

Flumph

I liked this series a lot.
    When I first discovered it, I let it 'grow up' for a few months. Then read it wholly beginning to current. I'm going to get the printed version so I can read it on the sofa.
    I love the jaegers. Can't wait to see what happened to Adam & Lilith. *Havn't read the advanced yet*
    Also on the site were some reprints of Whats New w/Phil&Dixie. Dragon magazine never seems quite right without those two. :(

28. - Top - End - #28
    Bugbear in the Playground

Discovered the comic through this thread yesterday. And yeah, who wouldn't love such a bunch of happy-go-lucky, night-indestructible, utterly loco guys as the Jagermonsters.

Oddly, I have absolutely no trouble understanding them. Maybe it has something to do with my linguistic background. Hmm...

29. - Top - End - #29
    Pixie in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

I read it from start to the present this weekend. I had seen it myriad times, but I could never get past the second page; there was too much going on for me to focus my eyes & think it'd be worth the effort. But for some reason, I read some of the support pages, and even though those gave me information more quickly than the plot did, they also gave me sufficient reason to try plugging away at it, and I ended up really enjoying it. The idea of the Spark in the context of a Frankenstein/H.G. Wells Victorian age is brilliant; i.e., it captures the mayhem and magnificence of a world where 19th.-century science-fiction feats are obtainable. If one considers such a world with an eye to the likes of Euler & Gauss, one can see how the story indeed fits the premise.

I agree that the Jägermonsters are fantastic. They really came into their own when Jenka attached Dimo, Oggie, & Maxim to Agatha. They've make me laugh out loud several times, especially during the fight at the bridge, when Agatha sent them to rescue the fellows trapped by the beasties. It's amusingly ironic that constructs designed for combat have such fun with life and are just so upbeat.

The artwork seems to have gone through a few stages. First, the black & white. Then when it went to color, it seemed to be mechanical: arms were stiff tubes, breasts were over-inflated balls, and so on. But then that style seems to have gone and the illustrations look more natural.

30. - Top - End - #30
    Pixie in the Playground

Flumph

If you ever read the Whats New w/Phil & Dixie on the back pages of older Dragon Magazine you can definitely see the progress the artist makes with detail and stuff. The first ones were kinda ... sunday newpaper comic stripish. Then a phase that reminded me of Sergio Aragones' Groo comic book. Lots of little things that you may not notice until you read it a couple of times. Now, it sort of reminds me of Fred Perry's Golddigger comics (now, there's another guy who has gotten much better at small details). I guess Sergio, Phil, and Fred all like putting several jokes/actions into one panel. I like it a lot because my eyes can't get bored.
    Last edited by CharlieRock; 2007-02-09 at 02:39 PM.